AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#36,043 ·
Any soap opera effect noticeable?
Thats a good question. I have always had the auto motion set to off. I set it to auto after the 1233 update. If there is any soap opera effect, it must be minimal. Because I have not really noticed it. Have to pay close attention. But for now I am happy with it. Watched another hockey game a few minutes ago and the auto motion seems to work perfect.

#36,045 ·
Thats a good question. I have always had the auto motion set to off. I set it to auto after the 1233 update. If there is any soap opera effect, it must be minimal. Because I have not really noticed it. Have to pay close attention. But for now I am happy with it. Watched another hockey game a few minutes ago and the auto motion seems to work perfect.
It must have a lot to do with the source. I don't have cable tv. I stream everything with gig internet. I either use the onboard apps or a Chromecast Ultra, both connected with an ethernet wire, not wifi. I cannot watch baseball or golf with automotion on. The ball has a tracer all the way across the screen. I also have an HD antenna. I'll check to see if the same problem occurs using the HD antenna tomorrow during the Byron Nelson. Having a good cable box might help. A lot of folks have said they don't have issues with automotion. For me it's extremely pronounced, and I'm on the newest firmware.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#36,046 ·
Any soap opera effect noticeable?
Depends on the source. The higher the framerate of the source signal the less noticeable the soap opera effect will be.

Is there any difference between putting Auto Motion Plus at 0 or keeping it Off?
Also, does anyone have new Game Mode settings for the new firmware? Thanks
According to RTINGS, having auto motion plus active with both sliders at 0 will remove remove judder from 60p and 60i sources, without adding the soap opera effect.
Source: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000 (See the section "24p Playback")

Here's a detailed demonstration on why this is the case, same applies to our TV.

#36,047 ·
Depends on the source. The higher the framerate of the source signal the less noticeable the soap opera effect will be.

According to RTINGS, having auto motion plus active with both sliders at 0 will remove remove judder from 60p and 60i sources, without adding the soap opera effect.
Source: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000 (See the section "24p Playback")

Here's a detailed demonstration on why this is the case, same applies to our TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEZIJDEQyo
I understand the information you post. But was the review not done some time ago. Well before firmware 1233. Or does that not matter. Seems leaving auto motion set to custom 0,0 is a good solution based on original review. I am on an HD cable box which outputs 1080i. Not sure if this is helping or hurting. All I know is I watched hockey on NBC last night with automotion set to auto and it was flawless. I will try baseball and golf to see what happens. I am beginning to think everyones experience must be different depending on the source. I have the ability to stream and ota antenna. Need to check and see if any differences.

#36,048 ·
This is a little odd, but I'll see if this ever happened to someone else. I have a Samsung 4K 8000 series. Suddenly, my Prime Video is only showing up in "Full Screen" only, -that is, all the letter-boxed films are showing up in full screen (squashed) and 4:3 is window-boxed (black frame on all sides). Netflix seems just fine, this seems to be just Prime. Even my Roku shows Prime properly (it just doesn't output to 4K like my Samsung). I've fiddled with every setting I can, -screen size and others, -and I re-booted, and taken out the app and replaced it, -but it still stays the same.
Thoughts?

#36,049 ·
This is a little odd, but I'll see if this ever happened to someone else. I have a Samsung 4K 8000 series. Suddenly, my Prime Video is only showing up in "Full Screen" only, -that is, all the letter-boxed films are showing up in full screen (squashed) and 4:3 is window-boxed (black frame on all sides). Netflix seems just fine, this seems to be just Prime. Even my Roku shows Prime properly (it just doesn't output to 4K like my Samsung). I've fiddled with every setting I can, -screen size and others, -and I re-booted, and taken out the app and replaced it, -but it still stays the same.
Thoughts?
Is this happening with the built in apps or a device connected with HDMI? Does it happen all the time or just on some movies or within certain apps (ie: Starz or HBO)?

It is probably unrelated but I have noticed HBO has a tendency to squish fit movies. It is the biggest reason I am dropping them this month.

#36,050 ·
Is this happening with the built in apps or a device connected with HDMI? Does it happen all the time or just on some movies or within certain apps (ie: Starz or HBO)?

It is probably unrelated but I have noticed HBO has a tendency to squish fit movies. It is the biggest reason I am dropping them this month.
This is with the Amazon Prime app that was part of the set from the beginning. It's been fine up until this last week or so.

#36,052 ·
I understand the information you post. But was the review not done some time ago. Well before firmware 1233. Or does that not matter. Seems leaving auto motion set to custom 0,0 is a good solution based on original review. I am on an HD cable box which outputs 1080i. Not sure if this is helping or hurting. All I know is I watched hockey on NBC last night with automotion set to auto and it was flawless. I will try baseball and golf to see what happens. I am beginning to think everyones experience must be different depending on the source. I have the ability to stream and ota antenna. Need to check and see if any differences.
Automotion using my HD antenna to watch fast action sports is not as deleterious to my viewing experience as when I use automotion with the TV's onboard apps or my Chromecast Ultra. In my case, automotion and streaming do not play well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#36,056 ·
I'm always careful not to fall in the trap of the placebo effect and therefore hesitant to post stuff like this (since i don't own any measurement equipment), but i could have sworn that colors are much more virbrant for me than with 1231.1.
With 1231.1 i used to crank up color to about 55 - 60 on some sources (mostly gaming). But now i turned color down to 50 on all sources. Anything higher than 50 seems just too much saturated. Strangly enough, 50 is now looking as 55 - 60 used to look like with 1231.1.

Last night i was watching the "Avengers: Endgame" review (best movie ever!) from Red Letter Media. My wife entered the room and asked me if those guys have bought a new camera, because the image looked so much better than in their older videos.
This is what had me convinced that it's not just a pacebo effect and colors actually did improve on my set with 1233 (or they actually did use a better camera :p). Here's the video i'm reffering to:

Spoiler warning!
Don't watch this video if you havn't seen "Avengers: Endgame":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAni8PwSvSA
I do have a feeling that colors improved on all other sources as well since 1233. So it's not just this single YouTube video i used as an example. I watched a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Blu-ray as a test and the colors never looked this impressive. This is all SDR based content, HDR looks just as great as ever.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Blu-ray menu reference video:
https://youtu.be/p9Qj79EXKhQ
(Probably not a good reference video since filmed by cell phone, YouTube compression and shot during the day with lots of environmental light. But you'll get the gist of it.)

Also the PS4 has a completely uniform background color in some menus. In hindsight i think it looked like a greyish haze was covered over the entire screen with 1231.1 (as if you set color too low and contrast too high) compared to how the colors look now with 1233 using the same settings.

These observations by my wife and myself made me believe that colors actually improved going forward from 1231.1 to 1233 (at least on my set).

Note:
This is when using all regular recommended settings for a clean natural picture.
(Picture mode Movie / Backlight 7 / Contrast 90 / Color 50 / Colorspace Auto / Smart LED Low or Off / No Dynamic Contrast or other enhancements etc.)
@ThaBEN: After 1233 firmware US update for Samsung KS8500 what is the best calibration settings for ps4 pro both SDR and HDR content games? Game mode seems bit dimmer when playing HDR games like Mortal Kombat 11. Please advise the settings. Thanks

#36,057 ·
IMO... Considering this is the KS8000/KS8500 thread I'm guessing you have a 8xxxx series Samsung... You should go for the Q8fn or a Q80 regardless of backlight improvements (which you should not even be mentioning to them)... An 8 series for an 8 series nuf said.. lol 🙂
The Q8FN is a fully array TV and is an upgrade. The Q6FN and Q7FN are edge lit like the KS8000. Of course he can always play dumb and ask for an "8" series replacement. LOL.

#36,058 ·
If by "similar spec" they mean "edge-lit", then the obvious choice would be the Q67R series. But I would suggest you ask for the Q70R series...just to see how sorry they are that they've destroyed your TV. ;)

They have written off my TV and offered me the Samsung Q6FN or a price equivalent of £769, so im a bit unsure of what to do any advice would be appreciated.

#36,060 ·
Thoughts?
I, too have noticed this problem. I moved my samsung to a different room, and wanted to test the internet, so i started streaming Spider-Man into the Spiderverse and it was all stretched out. Couldn't figure it out.

On the bright side, I bought a LGB855 OLED as my new main tv, so I'll just use that. :D