**OFFICIAL** 2016 XBR-X850D Sony Series TV Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #271 of 1424 Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethpuck View Post
I asked the person I talked to today at sony, to put send it to her supervisor. I'm hoping since the x800d the cheaper model is fine, that they will update the firmware on this model. I can't imagine that Sony would allow their own tv's to be this borked. Especially considering that the cheaper model doesn't have this flaw. With 1080 like you said this tv is fine, but when it comes to HDR all bets are off.the pro system is so new alot of people don't even know what it is. so many people with expensive tvs are gonna be really pissed off when they realize their 4k tvs aren't able to utilize the new consoles, even the 2016 models.
Exaclty. The 850d had good input lag on RTINGs when I bought it a week ago and display is a year old. Now people just realized it ant really great for 4K+HDR input lag.

EVERYONE needs to keep posting here and contacting sony to add firmware. We got two months to see if we can at least get a response.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-14-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1424 Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Did I test it? No.
Did you test it? No.
Can we even test it? No.
Did Rtings.com test it using expensive hardware? Yes.

Most people will have NO WAY to test it till NOVEMBER as I said. No offense, I guess your trying to help but your just kind of getting in way alot of us who are worried and trying to get others to work together to get a solution. Please, just let us do our thing. I understand your happy with your display and we are too for most part but we have a time bomb that will go off in November if we dont get a lot of people trying to contact sony.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-14-2016 at 09:55 PM.
post #273 of 1424 Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooic View Post
So you are not experiencing lag on a TV you own and are currently gaming on? You are only responding to a website's post of their findings? How do you need a firmware update on something you are not doing?
we will be using it that way in less than 2 months, and then moving forward with both the playstation and the xbox scorpio. Its a huge concern. I paid 1300.00 for this tv, and I bought it believing that it would work with HDR and 4k. You could say that it does work, as it accepts the signal, but with the input lag so high, its nearly unplayable. right now the tv is great, but soon it will be a mess without Sony fixing the firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1424 Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 20
holy cow, this input lag is beyond bad, I guess those who cares including myself shouldcontact sony ASAP and see what they have to say. I literally just bought this tv last Saturday, if Sony can't give me a acceptable response then this TV is going back to the store next week. I had only been playing games in 1080p, input lag was great, but after I saw rtings result I booted up DOOM and change the resolution to 4k with scaling at 50% so I can still run it on 60fps but out put at 4K. There are noticeable lag in 4K output compare to 1080p native output. And when I switch the picture mode to HDR video, it was trash, the game is literally unplayable and the tv is not even processing any HDR metadata, just simple a change in picture mode completely destroy the input lag. I even turned everything off in motion, color enhancement etc, didn't improve the lag at all. How can a company that hyped HDR and 4K through their roof can't even get their own 2016 TV to function properly with the other product they are trying to sell. Incase you guys are planning to email Sony, their support will give you generic response like update firmware, chance HDMI to enhanced mode. Start off by telling them those are done and I would directly link and qoute rtings and tell them what your inquiry is about. I know that there should be at least 1 more update for this TV since it had yet received Android TV 6 update, I would demand answer directly from their engineering team whether this can be fixed or not. Not their clueless "tech support". If they can't give me a clear answer and approx. time frame then this TV is going back to bestbuy.
post #275 of 1424 Old 09-14-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaroo View Post
holy cow, this input lag is beyond bad, I guess those who cares including myself shouldcontact sony ASAP and see what they have to say. I literally just bought this tv last Saturday, if Sony can't give me a acceptable response then this TV is going back to the store next week. I had only been playing games in 1080p, input lag was great, but after I saw rtings result I booted up DOOM and change the resolution to 4k with scaling at 50% so I can still run it on 60fps but out put at 4K. There are noticeable lag in 4K output compare to 1080p native output. And when I switch the picture mode to HDR video, it was trash, the game is literally unplayable and the tv is not even processing any HDR metadata, just simple a change in picture mode completely destroy the input lag. I even turned everything off in motion, color enhancement etc, didn't improve the lag at all. How can a company that hyped HDR and 4K through their roof can't even get their own 2016 TV to function properly with the other product they are trying to sell. Incase you guys are planning to email Sony, their support will give you generic response like update firmware, chance HDMI to enhanced mode. Start off by telling them those are done and I would directly link and qoute rtings and tell them what your inquiry is about. I know that there should be at least 1 more update for this TV since it had yet received Android TV 6 update, I would demand answer directly from their engineering team whether this can be fixed or not. Not their clueless "tech support". If they can't give me a clear answer and approx. time frame then this TV is going back to bestbuy.
Exactly. You just confirmed my worst fears. I had the Samsung ks8000 which works fine in 4K, but I had issues with the picture dropping out. Now I feel as though I'm stuck with a lemon tv.

Sony needs to act fast or this tv's gone.

I'm already past my 45 day return with bestbuy, I guess I'll Craigslist this thing if it comes down to it.
post #276 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 12:12 AM

And the experience of another owner of this tv. We'll know next week if it's a fear or not with forza horizon 3. It's the first game with HDR on either console.

Fingers crossed
post #277 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I tried to explain to you how this tv works but you are not listening either. You guys are just justifying what rtings said. Ok then.
No offense, we are suppose to listen to you because? Dude want a 4k tv to operate in 1080p he said, sure thing
Quote:
I don't think Sony wants alot of people calling them with a problem they don't actually have. How are they going to fix a problem for somebody that doesn't exist yet? What are they going to do exactly? You are asking people to call a company and complain because a website posted something about their tv. Why?
Ok buddy, I have already verify it myself. Doom, 4K output to tv, lag increase is already quite noticeable even when the game runs at 60fps with everything off in game mode, switching HDR video mode with all imagine enchantment feature off is completely unplayable. I don't need anymore evidence, proof or go with rtings results. The fact that the TV is not even processing any HDR metadata and still has this level of lag is completely useless. Seriously, if everyone here take it to sony, maaaaybe they can update the TV to match the same input lag level a the X800D, what the bad thing about of it? Everyone win.
post #278 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Nevermind, I give up. EDIT: I'm not going to give up, I'm going to try... You can change aspect ratio (wide mode). That is 16:9 or 4:3 usually. You can change the zoom (display area). I can also change the zoom on my satty or game console. You change resolutions. I can select those on my game and satty. All of these are different things. You are confusing them. Just because something fills the screen, does not mean the tv is processing it in 4K. See my earlier post on how to actually "upscale" to 4K. The tv is 4K but not all images you see on it are 4K. When I change my satty resolution, the screen goes black and it has to change. It's running a test to make sure the tv can display the resolution I told it to. My game does the same thing. Your computer makes a small box then resizes it when you use less resolution. You can full screen all images you watch on your computer but they are not displaying in your computer screens resolution. You have to change the resolution of the image. The tv is telling everything that it's native 1080 because most stuff is 1080. It wouldn't work right if it tried to display everything in 4K. Change what you are sending to 4K and the tv will display it.
sorry a 4k tv everything is scaled to 4k. a 1080 p everything is scaled to 1080 p. change what your sending and your tv will tell you what resolution your are sending to it, but its still scaling to 4k.
post #279 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 AM

Yes scaling it up is ok it can do it fine 1080p to 4K. The issue is when the device is sending a native 4K HDR signal. In the current firmware version it can't handle it.

We need it fixed by Sony. I bought this tv to work for 4K gaming. I have an 8 year old Samsung that was great for 1080p content. I bought this tv as an upgrade to that. and currently it isn't capable of doing what it needs to.

Sorry to upset others in the thread, but this is a huge issue for people who bought this tv for gaming at higher than 1080p.

Sony must fix it or this tv just won't work and for us we have wasted our money.
post #280 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 06:10 AM

ok, I sent Sony support an email about this. Also rtings, just in case maybe they know how to reach sony directly. If I don't get a clear answer next week this TV is going back to bestbuy. Or if ks8000 goes on sales next week
post #281 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
ok, I sent Sony support an email about this. Also rtings, just in case maybe they know how to reach sony directly. If I don't get a clear answer next week this TV is going back to bestbuy. Or if ks8000 goes on sales next week
yeah keep up the good work. I contacted Sony again. and The tech support person actually understood my problem, and said its a software issue, and my concern had been submitted to the engineering team. He said they already knew about this issue. I feel a little bit better knowing that myself and others are giving them some incentive to fix this issue.

I'll give them a few months, but if they can't fix it I gotta move on. Lucky for people still in the return period, I'm kinda stuck with this tv now.
post #282 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I'll give them a few months, but if they can't fix it I gotta move on. Lucky for people still in the return period, I'm kinda stuck with this tv now.
Im stuck too even though I bought it a week ago. 15% restocking fee + paying for shipping is not an an alternative.

The "good" news its not just us. Its almost every Sony model 850(a-d), 940-950, etc. If you go into there forums they are talking the same thing we are.

Hopefully we can get someone like kotaku to write an article. Its pretty newsworthy that none of the 2015/2016 models can handle HDR+4K at playable input lag. Hell the higher end 2016 model is in even worse shape then us.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-15-2016 at 09:36 AM.
post #283 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm surprised people are expecting them to provide a firmware update so quickly when they still haven't rolled out an Android 6 update and haven't even committed to Android 7.

I agree in principle that they should really be having a best in class gaming performance TV with the PS4 Pro coming out, but they don't even have best in class gaming performance as is, and are being beaten out by off brands like VIZIO
CycleChem likes this.
post #284 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 AM

so Rting wrote back to me We don’t have any good direct channel with Sony unfortunately. There is hope though. The X850D currently has Android 5.1.1, while the X800D is running 6 with a newer firmware and lower input lag in HDR. So hopefully Sony can update the X850D too with the same firmware.& Which is what I am expecting, thought I didn't know that the x800D was shipped with android 6.0. I expect this tv to get at least 1 more big update for android 6.0. Which sony said all 2016 lineup would back in Jan... Whether or not they can improve the lag is another story, or getting it down to the same level, 34ms with 4K+HDR. I will need official statement from them.

edit1: actually anyone know if the x800D has a HDR video picture mode? Or a link to the pdf manual. I want see the what is the UI difference etc and how it handles HDR signal, from the review it sounds like they keep the same picture setting, but the thing is HDR source will require you to recalibrate your picture setting so I hope the it save 2 seperate profile under game and switch automatically when HDR metadata is detected. Sony support hasnt reply to my last email yet, previously they have responsed to my first few emails within 6 hours. I hope they are actually talking to their engineers and provide a real answers.

edit2: got the somewhat generic response back from Sony "We are really sorry for the trouble and inconvenience. As checked in my resources and you provided specification is not available at this time. we regret the inconvenience and we're take this information as valuable feedback and sure we'll inform to our technical team so that in the next firmware they could provide you such kind of features to reduce the input delay in video signal through HDMI HDR 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.(50/60 Hz). Thank you for choosing Sony and have a good day ahead."
david90 likes this.

Last edited by Gitaroo; 09-15-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #285 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what is does, operate in 1080. There isn't much 4K stuff out there. I knew that when I bought it. Later on more 4K stuff will come out and then it will operate in 4K.
Dude, can you leave us all be? We have actually done the research. We've tried 4k with HDR setting enabled and input lag goes crazy high because there are processes that cant be disabled and maybe its just not optimized as well since they didnt plan for HDR+gaming in mind.
Its not just us or Rtings. People have tested 4K content with hdr mode enabled already. The 850c/850d/930/940 users are all reporting SAME THING. Rtings just backs up what people have tested.

People here have done research, you telling them otherwise is just tiresome. Your just really getting in the way and making people talk around you. The FACT that you have not even tried anything 4K gaming really gives you no right to question another user. How can we tell you otherwise when you cant be bothered?

Lots of us are actively checking for any news.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-15-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #286 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
yeah, agree, I used to own the a samsung HDTV, and that POS doesn't even allow you to turn off its DNe, so everything looks like ass, I don't even understand how reviewers can even rate the tv a good tv. Whenever I get a new TV, I always turn off all any sort of noise filter or edge enhancement . They only thing I rely on is my own preference of brightness and contrast, I may set color to warm 1 if there is that setting available, and that is all. This is the first bravia tv that I have ever bought and I used to hear story about the w900a and all its features; the one that stood out is the motionflow impulse that I always wanted to try. With the x850D, I can say that I am not disappointed, thing looks very good for fast motion images, when I play games on my LG, all the micro detail seems to fade out as people describe as ghosting. No matter what setting I tweak. I am sure other brand probably have similar motionflow impulse by now, but this is the first time I see it in person.

cool story bro... any way, the reason why they describe it as CRT like is because of the ghosting on modern HDTV, its the behavior when motionflow is turn on that is similar to what crt used to do. No one is claiming the tv turn into a crt.

anyone can someone that hook up their pc with gefroce to the tv do me a favor. Does the nvdia control panel says 1080p is the native res for the x850D?
if you think the sony 850d comes close to a samsung ks8500 you need glasses. not even in the same ballpark with anything. pq samsung by a mile. HDR the real deal on 8500, not even close on a 850d. input lag 22.3 ms game mode and HDR on samsung- 60s and higher for 850d. only thing equal is price
post #287 of 1424 Old 09-15-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
yeah keep up the good work. I contacted Sony again. and The tech support person actually understood my problem, and said its a software issue, and my concern had been submitted to the engineering team. He said they already knew about this issue. I feel a little bit better knowing that myself and others are giving them some incentive to fix this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Im stuck too even though I bought it a week ago. 15% restocking fee + paying for shipping is not an an alternative.

The "good" news its not just us. Its almost every Sony model 850(a-d), 940-950, etc. If you go into there forums they are talking the same thing we are.

Hopefully we can get someone like kotaku to write an article. Its pretty newsworthy that none of the 2015/2016 models can handle HDR+4K at playable input lag. Hell the higher end 2016 model is in even worse shape then us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreallyitsme View Post
I'm surprised people are expecting them to provide a firmware update so quickly when they still haven't rolled out an Android 6 update and haven't even committed to Android 7.

I agree in principle that they should really be having a best in class gaming performance TV with the PS4 Pro coming out, but they don't even have best in class gaming performance as is, and are being beaten out by off brands like VIZIO
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons View Post
if you think the sony 850d comes close to a samsung ks8500 you need glasses. not even in the same ballpark with anything. pq samsung by a mile. HDR the real deal on 8500, not even close on a 850d. input lag 22.3 ms game mode and HDR on samsung- 60s and higher for 850d. only thing equal is price
Is everyone drunk here or something? Where the hell did ks8500 even came from this discussion.
post #288 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 AM

found a perfect place to make some noise guy, post here

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultr...4K-Ultra-HD-TV

going by their phone support forum, their tech do read there and provide feedback

edit: find it funny that they are still using the x930D to promo their PS4pro

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1020525.html

right, probably why they only allow people to "watch".

Last edited by Gitaroo; 09-16-2016 at 04:16 AM.
post #289 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:

going by their phone support forum, their tech do read there and provide feedback

yeah posted in there as well
post #290 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 AM

I replied to it as well. I thought about it and if I dont hear by Tuesday I am packing it up despite the fact its going to cost a lot to ship. This is not worth the strain/worry its putting on me.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-16-2016 at 10:26 AM.
post #291 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I tried playing Wolfenstein in 4K at 4:4:4 with the hdr mode (no metadata of course).

I might be blind, but even on the most difficult setting, I kicked ass.

I couldn't see that much of latency and like I said, did not reduced my skill.

I'm playing with a controller, however, it might be more visible when playing with a mouse.

I even turned on the motionflow to medium and black frame insertion, and it was still quite good for me (without knowing there is latency, I wouldn't even realise it).

Some people are probably more sensible to latency (and Mouse+Keyboard probably affect this more). I'm not a FPS multiplayer gamer however (not anymore).

I consider myself lucky...my brain must be slow.
post #292 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Good point stooic. I agree completely. I had problems with a couple Samsung ks800ds and it drove me nuts, so I purchased this tv as a replacement knowing some of its flaws, as no tv is perfect. Just super bummed out that this tvs may not meet my needs as well and need to now spend another 1500.00 on a tv.

I have to believe that Sony will fix this issue. A simple official we're working on it would help.
post #293 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:

They must be releasing an update right? why demo this stuff on a tv that would be unplayable with those settings. They must know, and be able to fix it.
post #294 of 1424 Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
They must be releasing an update right? why demo this stuff on a tv that would be unplayable with those settings. They must know, and be able to fix it.
the "demos" are for watching only to see the difference, after all the X930D has excellent picture quality... just not meant for games. After some reading in the X800D topic, it looks like that model was not only shipped with new Android 6.1, its processor is also newer and much much more powerful than all the previous Sony android tv. Definitely NOT looking good.
post #295 of 1424 Old 09-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I got the 75xbr850d last week. While watching a movie with letter boxes, i noticed alot of light bleed on the top right corner reaching out about a quarter of the length. I have reached out to best buy for an exchange, hopefully that tv will be better.

One question i had was on the arc hdmi. I have a receiver hooked up through arc, and every time i change the volume, i see he OSD on the tv, which gets irritating at times. Is there any way to turn off the volume OSD? I don't want to switch to the optical out, since i heard it won't out DTS.
post #296 of 1424 Old 09-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Actually i forgot to mention that i'm usinf logitech harmony remote and have a denon receiver. Below is what i have observed:

I have turned off the volume OSD on the receiver.

When I watch something like Netflix, Youtube on the TV OS, the denon receiver will switch to 'TV Audio' mode. During this time, if i were to change the volume using the harmony remote, the TV volume OSD will show up as well. This is ok, since the receiver is getting TV audio out.

However, when i switch to some other mode like watching cable, and change the volume, the TV osd still shows up. This is what I want to avoid, if possible. Is there any known way for this, other than connecting to a non-ARC hdmi input?
post #297 of 1424 Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the same boat, I want a Sony, but the lag is putting me off. Lack of 3D on some doesn't help either. I would advise to avoid Panasonic DX900. While its selling point is good reviews and low input lag, I am going through a nightmare at the minute trying to return one less than a week old that may result in legal action. Horrific, astoundingly bad blur/muggy trailing that's even worse with native 4k sources, regardless of calibration. As well worse 3D than my current HX920 years-old Sony.

I really don't want to buy a Samsung or Vizio. I don't want to pay out big bucks for those brands.

I wish Sony would speak about this issue, the 49" 800D is kind of small and entry-level for me.
post #298 of 1424 Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 PM

after sending a dozen of emails to Sony support, I think I give up on this tv. Not only that the tech support is clueless about input lag, they just repetitively telling me "update firmware", "change hdmi to enhance" or "I will forward your msg to the right department" like a broken record. The person I talked to in the last email actually admit that they don't have a clue and the entire support are only able to answer basic tv connections problems. The tech support from their forum didn't even bother to post in my topic. I felt like I was yelling at the brick wall the entire time, and I have never been so frustrated with any electronic purchase that I have made since my old samsung tv. Both LG and Samsung have not only responded to their customer with words but with action by updating most of their TV line up before the first HDR game hit the market (NBA2k17) with more to follow. And things has been dead silent at Sony, the worst kind of customer communication you can have in any business is to have the customer wait for answer and uncertainty. I can not believe a tech company that was just hyping the crap out of 4k HDR gaming and yet almost their entire line up of TV are trash tier gaming tv. It is not like this is a new issue neither, it dated all the way back to their 2015 line up. All of them were shipped broken with insanely high input lag in 4K mode since day 1 and have never bother to do anything about it. I think I will either take the tv back to best buy on Thursday and cancel my PSVR to use they budget for the KS8000 or just simply return it and skip PS4pro. Sorry for the poor souls that passed the return period that are stuck with this thing hope you will find your solution eventually.
post #299 of 1424 Old 09-19-2016, 11:42 PM

Nah you won't miss much with vr. The price will drop and you will save some money. Good luck with the Samsung. It's a far superior tv to this hunk of ****. I loved mine when it maintained connection. Other than the obe connect box fantastic. Tv
post #300 of 1424 Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Nah you won't miss much with vr. The price will drop and you will save some money. Good luck with the Samsung. It's a far superior tv to this hunk of ****. I loved mine when it maintained connection. Other than the obe connect box fantastic. Tv
I went to bestbuy just to check it out, whatever promo demo video they use to promo the tv didn't impress me at all. It was showing some nice scenery of alberta, where I am from but super pixelated and grainy. The graininess of the video brings back the nightmare that I had with my old samsung with that DNIe crap they throw at people face and don't allow you to turn off. I am sure it will look decent once some calibrating is done, the only reason why I am so reluctant to switch is because not only it cost 500 more all the stuffs I read about tizen is practically useless to me. X850D on the other hand having kodi build and google cast built in is a god send. Plus side is samsung will be updating all their TV to support dynamic HDR this year end.

Last edited by Gitaroo; 09-20-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
connect:amp , receiver , speaker:sound , television:setup , XBR-X850D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page