**OFFICIAL** 2016 XBR-X850D Sony Series TV Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #841 of 1424 Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zameus View Post
Hello all,

So, I've been on the fence about purchasing the XBR75X850D from Best Buy mainly because of the washed out blacks and light bleeds reported on this forum. My question to the owners that have used the TV for the past 6 months or so, would you recommend this TV? I do some gaming on PS4/PC, and watch movies at night, although not completely in the dark as I have my ceiling lights dimmed down a bit just to give the room some good ambient lighting. I'm upgrading from a 2015 70" Sharp Aquos+ 1080p LED Smart HDTV - LC70TQ15U. The XBR75X850D appeals to me because it's in a 75" screen size and 4K HDR. Should I pull the trigger on this bad boy, or go with another similiar option? I was looking into the Samsung UN65KS8000, but it would be a downgrade in size, but perhaps an upgrade in viewing quality? Any guidance would be appreciated! thank you
I've had this TV for about 2 months now and was worried about the lack of local dimming and the poor reviews about light bleed and how blacks are not black in the dark.

My room is a "very" bright room during the day. It has lots of windows. Was a mess with my old Mitsu DLP. We literally had to cover the windows with sheets sometimes. Anyway, I have to say that Ambient Lighting behind the TV was a huge difference at night. I put a small lamp with a Philips Hue color bulb in it to test the ambient lighting and it works REALLY well. I like it a lot. I'm ordering a light strip kit to add to the back of the set to replace the test lamp. However, if you sit there and stare at the corners, you will see light bleed. If you stare at the black bars above and below a movie, you will see grey not black. If you are doing what I've gotten accustomed to doing and that is to watch the movie or TV content, you are going to love this TV. It has an amazingly good picture and upscales incredibly well.

Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth. Good luck.
Dub from GA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1424 Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post
I've had this TV for about 2 months now and was worried about the lack of local dimming and the poor reviews about light bleed and how blacks are not black in the dark.

My room is a "very" bright room during the day. It has lots of windows. Was a mess with my old Mitsu DLP. We literally had to cover the windows with sheets sometimes. Anyway, I have to say that Ambient Lighting behind the TV was a huge difference at night. I put a small lamp with a Philips Hue color bulb in it to test the ambient lighting and it works REALLY well. I like it a lot. I'm ordering a light strip kit to add to the back of the set to replace the test lamp. However, if you sit there and stare at the corners, you will see light bleed. If you stare at the black bars above and below a movie, you will see grey not black. If you are doing what I've gotten accustomed to doing and that is to watch the movie or TV content, you are going to love this TV. It has an amazingly good picture and upscales incredibly well.

Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth. Good luck.
MajesticNJ,

Thanks for your feedback. I am enjoying the TV so far. Coming from a non-4K system, to the XBR-75X850D is complete night and day. My family and I were in aw when we viewed the 4K content on Netflix! Putting sheets in front of a window to watch content on a DLP system - haha been there done that. I feel ya.

Last night, I installed a Tingkam Waterproof 5M 5050 SMD RGB Led Strips Lighting Kit for added ambient lighting for the back of the TV as we tend to watch most of our content during the evening.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are so many settings on this TV, that I find myself switching to different viewing modes depending on what I'm viewing. It's impossible to imagine that one system setting will accommodate all viewing types. For movies, I'm going with Cinema Pro, sports, ESPN, NFL Network, I've landed on the Standard setting. I've messed around with the HDR settings, but found them to be very bright and washed out. But was able to lower down some of the settings to get it more viewer friendly.

I've had the TV for 4 days now, and don't regret the purchase. as stated above, concentrate on the movie or whatever content your viewing and don't focus so much on the sub-par black levels, and any light bleed your screen may have. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, and missing out on what a great display it really is and what it delivers. Fortunately for me, I have very minimal light bleed, that I can tell and look forward to viewing more 4K content in the near future!
MajesticNJ and Dub from GA like this.
post #843 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've yet to really begin to explore all the features of this set, but was wondering what other owners are doing in terms of remote controls. Does the stock remote seem to meet everyone's needs or is there a suggested smart remote ?

I've also wondered if there is any value getting a Droid pad of some type and dedicating it a remote.

The other set I almost bought was the LG UH7700. The Magic Remote it had was really cool.

So far I am very, very pleased with this Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub from GA View Post
I've yet to really begin to explore all the features of this set, but was wondering what other owners are doing in terms of remote controls. Does the stock remote seem to meet everyone's needs or is there a suggested smart remote ?
The included remote has been fine for our needs.

I'll use the app on my phone sometimes if I'm already on my phone and the remote is more than an arms length away. The app is great.
Dub from GA and luchid like this.
post #845 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I've also wondered if there is any value getting a Droid pad of some type and dedicating it a remote.

The other set I almost bought was the LG UH7700. The Magic Remote it had was really cool.

I use the included remote. Granted, I only use the built in Netflix to watch 4K videos and don't use other Android TV apps because they are nowhere near as good as the apps on my Apple TV. I'm just waiting for Apple to release a 4K Apple TV so I can finally stop using Android TV for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub from GA likes this.
post #846 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I went with the Harmony Elite. Everything I need plus it offers integration with my Amazon Echo puck. I can turn the TV and Stereo and game systems on with a voice command. Pretty nice.
Dub from GA likes this.
post #847 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
Have you restarted the AndroidTV OS? While it's been well commented on now that you can't check the resolution on Netflix, you should be able to adjust the picture and the behaviour of going back to the movie when trying to adjust motion is abnormal.

Reset by going to Home/Settings/About and scroll down to Restart. All your settings remain untouched but will reset misbehaving apps and OS. I had to do this a couple times while I played with things but it's a while since I've had anything go awry.
Held the Power Button Down to reset the TV and the issue was fixed.

The problem I have, is the update is now gone and can't do anything to get it back. I had new features in the brightness section and they are gone. Do Not even remember the names because the feature stopped working so shortly after I saw them. Dynamic Range was one of the feature and they had to do with black levels.
post #848 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM

Those that may be interested, finally last night I had the chance to do some 4K gaming on my 75" X850D. However, not your normal gaming setup via PS4 or XB1 consoles. I setup my NVidia Shield to stream my games from my PC via an ethernet connection. Configured the Sheild with 4K output. My PC runs Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake - Overclocked, 16GB RAM, and EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti. Launched Doom (2016) with max settings and set display resolution to 3840 x 2160. I messed around with the TV's picture modes until I finally landed on custom settings with Game Mode. After reading all the comments around the net, I expected a bad or subpar experience. On the contrary, the game ran smooth at 60FPS w/ V-Sync enabled. No input lag, and the 4K visuals were amazing, colors just popped right at you! I'm going to try and record a video for all to see. Hope this information is useful for anyone curious about gaming via NVidia Game Sheild.
Dub from GA likes this.
post #849 of 1424 Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Doesn't Turn On!

Hi All,

We absolutely love this TV.

However, the last week or so the TV seems to be acting up where it won't turn on until we switch it off and back on again at the power point.

Have anyone else here come across this issue? if so, do you know what is causing it?
post #850 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz926 View Post
Hi All,

We absolutely love this TV.

However, the last week or so the TV seems to be acting up where it won't turn on until we switch it off and back on again at the power point.

Have anyone else here come across this issue? if so, do you know what is causing it?
I wonder if youve loaded too many apps or one that is causing some instability. I had a couple non-responsive times early on. But unloaded any apps I barely used and retested and it appears to have fixed any issues.
post #851 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Good question! Until these smart TVs I would have said Harmony in a heartbeat, especially if you're using an AV Receiver and a couple other devices. But if you only have the TV, a BD player and soundbar or receiver that can have its inputs and volume controlled by the TV's remote than I'd just use it. OTOH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post
I went with the Harmony Elite. Everything I need plus it offers integration with my Amazon Echo puck. I can turn the TV and Stereo and game systems on with a voice command. Pretty nice.
This or the Harmony Ultimate is still my preferred remote. Because I have the TV, 2xplayers (BD and HDDVD), a Cable box, an Apple TV all routed via an AVR, plus Philips Hue lights and an IR controlled bias lighting setup, the Elite is what I'm now using but my older Ultimate which is still serving us in the family room, would do equally as well. I've been using Harmony remotes since the original Logitechs came out. Once you get your head around the activities setup and then assign buttons and screen controls for each activity, you can really put your other remotes in the cupboard. Some people miss hard buttons for numbers, but I've become used to doing without.

One other thing to consider is a keyboard. I'm using a Logitech K830 wireless keyboard and it helps when searching Netflix/YouTube etc immensely. Plug the USB dongle into the TV and it was recognised immediately. Saves a lot of scrolling or number pad presses.
MajesticNJ and Dub from GA like this.
post #852 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
I wonder if youve loaded too many apps or one that is causing some instability. I had a couple non-responsive times early on. But unloaded any apps I barely used and retested and it appears to have fixed any issues.
Don't think so. The only app I installed are Kodi, Spotify and VLC.
post #853 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Well ladies and gents, looks like the honeymoon is over sooner than I had expected.

I randomly get this line running across the top panel. Has anyone seen this before? My first instincts tell me to return it and swap it out for another unit since it's only been 6 days. Your thoughts?

post #854 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Well ladies and gents, looks like the honeymoon is over sooner than I had expected.

I randomly get this line running across the top panel. Has anyone seen this before? My first instincts tell me to return it and swap it out for another unit since it's only been 6 days. Your thoughts?
OMG I would die if that happened to me. I bought it in Chile and it's pretty much non-returnable given that I live in Argentina. I've had mine for exactly one month now and haven't seen anything like that. I would return it immediately.
post #855 of 1424 Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Return it.
heavy_hitter likes this.
post #856 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone use Yamaha Aventage AVR with Bravia sync, does it work? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #857 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleChem View Post
Return it.
Yep, I returned it, and so far so good. One thing I've noticed, and I hope it's not a major issue, is that I intermittently get a pop up window that YouTube stopped responding and i have to click OK to close the small window. Also, when pressing "Display" button, the resolution appears on the upper right, vs. my previous set, it showed up in the upper left? Odd...
Dub from GA likes this.
post #858 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Those that may be interested, finally last night I had the chance to do some 4K gaming on my 75" X850D. However, not your normal gaming setup via PS4 or XB1 consoles. I setup my NVidia Shield to stream my games from my PC via an ethernet connection. Configured the Sheild with 4K output. My PC runs Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake - Overclocked, 16GB RAM, and EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti. Launched Doom (2016) with max settings and set display resolution to 3840 x 2160. I messed around with the TV's picture modes until I finally landed on custom settings with Game Mode. After reading all the comments around the net, I expected a bad or subpar experience. On the contrary, the game ran smooth at 60FPS w/ V-Sync enabled. No input lag, and the 4K visuals were amazing, colors just popped right at you! I'm going to try and record a video for all to see. Hope this information is useful for anyone curious about gaming via NVidia Game Sheild.
60 FPS @ 4K you say? Impossible, I say.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-...rks/page4.html

Unless if your card is hitting 1550+ frequency at core.
post #859 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Also, when pressing "Display" button, the resolution appears on the upper right, vs. my previous set, it showed up in the upper left? Odd...
Check the Android version you are running. If I remember correctly, the Marshmallow update on other Sony models changed the display location. There have been reports that newer purchases are coming with Marshmallow already installed. You might be a lucky one that is already running Android 6.
post #860 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleChem View Post
Check the Android version you are running. If I remember correctly, the Marshmallow update on other Sony models changed the display location. There have been reports that newer purchases are coming with Marshmallow already installed. You might be a lucky one that is already running Android 6.
CycleChem, you appear to be right. I checked the version. It is pkg3.709.0120NAB. Seems a bit buggy though. Navigation isn't as fluid as it was previously, and that annoying youtube pop up window that kept appearing randomly. I killed it in system settings. If it doesn't fix itself, I may just factory reset it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post
60 FPS @ 4K you say? Impossible, I say.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-...rks/page4.html

Unless if your card is hitting 1550+ frequency at core.
Nice read, thanks for the link Fuzalert. FRAPS was running and I noticed the FPS steadily in the high 50's to 60 with V-Sync on. Everythiong on max, I'll try to post a video once I'm set up again with this new set. Still trying to calibrate it to our needs.
post #861 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say I got the 850c marshmallow update installed on my 65x850d

Everything is working well, video player plays the videos properly over the media network

Only thing I haven't figured out is to put apps on the external drive. I have it formatted for external storage but not sure what to do after
post #862 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Very sweet television.

I just enjoyed an afternoon of NFL action.....on a less than stellar signal........with a SWEET picture and sound.

I realized the signal was crappy when I went to another room to see the games running on different sets.......returning to the den was like returning to an oasis and being handed a splendidly made margarita.

Upscaling was occurring.

Very, very pleased with this set.
post #863 of 1424 Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
Anyone use Yamaha Aventage AVR with Bravia sync, does it work? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yes I tried it on my RX-A3000. The Sony remote can swap inputs and volume on the receiver but didn't work that well with my Foxtel cable (Australian) since the Sony remote doesn't sync with the cable box. But since I use a Harmony Elite remote, it really isn't an advantage for me as changing inputs via the Sony remote would then be out of sync with the Harmony. So I disabled the feature.

If you only use FTA, BDs and cable channel change is through the TV and don't use a Harmony, Bravia Sync might be feasible.
post #864 of 1424 Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a decent sound bar (under $300) to go with my Sony XBR-75X850D. I would like to have the sound come out of the sound bar all the time and not have to use a separate remotes. I would like to be able to use the cable box remote to adjust the volume & be able to use Bluetooth headphones from time to time.

Can i do this? If so can you recommend one?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by guinnessny; 01-15-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #865 of 1424 Old 01-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessny View Post
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a decent sound bar (under $300) to go with my Sony XBR-75X850D. I would like to have the sound come out of the sound bar all the time and not have to use a separate remotes. I would like to be able to use the cable box remote to adjust the volume & be able to use Bluetooth headphones from time to time.

Thanks,
Rob
I do not have an issue with controlling the sound on my receiver with the xfinity remote. Should not be an issue.
Dub from GA likes this.
post #866 of 1424 Old 01-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Chinese review on the Sharp rebadge - use google translate:

http://4k-fan.com/%E4%B8%80%E6%89%8B...F%94%E6%8B%BC/
post #867 of 1424 Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks,
Rob

Howdy, Rob.

I'm still getting acclimated to new: TV, DirectTV, and soundbar.

So far, though.....I can do the channels & volume just fine from my DirectTV remote.

I use the soundbar remote when I want switch over and steam music from my cellphone to the soundbar (did so last night and was very pleased with the sound quality).
post #868 of 1424 Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM

Liked: 10
Dub - Thanks for the input! Which sound bar would you recommend? Does it have the ability to sync up Bluetooth head phones?
post #869 of 1424 Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks,
Rob
I'm pretty happy with the Vizio Smartcast 38" 5.1 (SB3851-D0).

$180 at Sam's Club.

Cheers!
post #870 of 1424 Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Folks, I was hoping to get some opinions on the 850D versus the 940D. I posted here with my specifics, and would appreciate anyone chiming in:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-talk-246.html

Thanks!

Quote:

I need a better gaming PC. Right now I am bottlenecking with a 770m on my lappy, and most games actually perform quite well. I am even doing fine with Just Cause 3, which is an absolutely HORRIBLY un-optimized mess that Avalanche should be ashamed of releasing in this state. Anyway, I am going to be building a real gaming rig either later this Winter or in Spring. I can't do it now because I am about to drop upwards of $5K on a 75" TV + Soundbar + Stand + accessories. But your post is great info. I am leaning toward the 940D, and many people are complaining about HORRIBLE input lag gaming in 4K over at Sony's official forum. But they are using other devices, such as PS4. I am wondering if your lack of noticeable lag is coming from the fact that your PC is doing all the heavy lifting in terms of processing and generating video? Or maybe the 850D is better than the 940D for gaming?

Either way, its NICE to know that this set can generate lag-free gaming, even if maybe it has to come from a PC not a console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
connect:amp , receiver , speaker:sound , television:setup , XBR-X850D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page