**OFFICIAL** 2016 XBR-X850D Sony Series TV Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #901 of 1424 Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone that has purchased a XBR-75X850D recently, has it already had this software update installed, and if not, did you install it?
PKG3.531.0108NAB

Released 10/26/16
Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.531.0108NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG3.473.0107NAB
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.531.0108NAB:
  • Adds support for 4K Live / NeuLion® Sports digital video technology
  • Improves the Netflix software quality. (4K HDR model)
  • Improves general software quality of the TV
  • Improves RVU support
  • Resolves a condition where a black picture may occur after performing a remote Off/On (KDL-75W850C)
  • Supports PlayMemories Online service
  • Supports PlayStation™ Now service
  • Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
  • Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
  • Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
  • Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
  • Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
  • Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
  • Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
  • Supports Amazon®, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
  • Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
  • Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
  • Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1424 Old 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericc1970 View Post
Can anyone help. I just ordered a replacement remote for my 65, but is there a way to get into the options via android app on phone or tablet? Or do I just need to wait for the replacement to show up?

Thanks in advance.
Try Android TV remote in apps store.
post #903 of 1424 Old 01-20-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzza View Post
No offense to Zameus, it came off a little harsher than intended.

I know pro gamers play in 1080p/1440p for the refresh rate etc. To anyone who wants 10-20ms response time, then I agree, they should be playing on a gaming monitor

I can only say this again. What we want is input lag parity with every other 4k set on the market. 30Ms at 4k. That is not a pro gamer demand. I think its pretty reasonable
All good Scuzza. No offense taken. I understand your frustrations, and trust me, I've been there. As consumers and some of us who are gamers, we should have the right to experience the same kind of gaming experience regardless of what manufacturer we decide to give our hard earned money too. Should one manufacturer under deliver and not meet the customer's expectations as they initially advertised, then they SHOULD take responsibility and be accountable for their product they are delivering. Let's hope Sony listens and releases an update to improve the input lag even more. And I hope they fix this buggy Marshmallow update. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby69 View Post
Has anyone that has purchased a XBR-75X850D recently, has it already had this software update installed, and if not, did you install it?
PKG3.531.0108NAB

Released 10/26/16
Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.531.0108NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG3.473.0107NAB
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.531.0108NAB:
  • Adds support for 4K Live / NeuLion® Sports digital video technology
  • Improves the Netflix software quality. (4K HDR model)
  • Improves general software quality of the TV
  • Improves RVU support
  • Resolves a condition where a black picture may occur after performing a remote Off/On (KDL-75W850C)
  • Supports PlayMemories Online service
  • Supports PlayStation™ Now service
  • Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
  • Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
  • Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
  • Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
  • Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
  • Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
  • Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
  • Supports Amazon®, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
  • Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
  • Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
  • Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
My XBR-75X850D is a week old and it came with the Marshmallow update and I'm running SW Ver. PKG3.709.0120NAB

Last edited by Zameus; 01-20-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1424 Old 01-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So if some newer models already have the Marshmallow update, why can't they just place the update on the support site? Let us download and install it that way, smh.
heavy_hitter likes this.

Sony Bravia 55X850D
Denon AVR-591
Sony SSF-5000 Front L/R
Sony SSCN-3000 Center and Surround L/R
Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote
Sony PS4 Gaming Console
post #905 of 1424 Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkYMoNk585 View Post
So if some newer models already have the Marshmallow update, why can't they just place the update on the support site? Let us download and install it that way, smh.
You are not missing anything with Marshmallow. Those that have the update on the 850C and 940C are experiencing bugs.
post #906 of 1424 Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
You are not missing anything with Marshmallow. Those that have the update on the 850C and 940C are experiencing bugs.
Yep, random app crashes. Small dialogue box appears in whatever screen you're viewing and tells you so and so app has crashed. Would you like to report it or click ok.
post #907 of 1424 Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zameus View Post
Yep, random app crashes. Small dialogue box appears in whatever screen you're viewing and tells you so and so app has crashed. Would you like to report it or click ok.
Is this the case with new sets of this series that come with the Marshmallow OS pre-installed from the factory, or just those that were updated later?
post #908 of 1424 Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Quote:
Is this the case with new sets of this series that come with the Marshmallow OS pre-installed from the factory, or just those that were updated later?
My new 75X850D came with MM update pre-installed, and has minor bugs. I don't know about people that manually updated.
post #909 of 1424 Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooic View Post
I would run the app update then do a restart to see if that stops the apps from crashing.

What minor bugs do you speak of?

The delay in getting an update is probably because of Sony's knowledge of said glitches. That's why they (all software and hardware developers) don't release updates to all systems at the same time. They don't want everyone messed up so they leak it out.
How do I do the app update after already having MM installed? Is there a way to uninstall/reinstall? I think Sony intended to release a specific amount of TVs with the MM already pre-installed. I'm beta testing the update. The minor bugs I'm seeing are the random apps and services crashes. None specific, they are random and different each time. I've been ignoring them, but I'm going to start reporting them for the greater cause.
post #910 of 1424 Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
To be honest, I wish Sony would just release a large 75" + DUMB panel. Great processing, great colour, great picture. NO apps, NO speakers.
With an HDMI input, menu for picture adjustments and an on off button.

Run everything through add ons. Apple TV, Xbox, Receiver ...whatever
But hey, just my .02C.
MarkusJ, chanc, Zameus and 4 others like this.
post #911 of 1424 Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
To be honest, I wish Sony would just release a large 75" + DUMB panel. Great processing, great colour, great picture. NO apps, NO speakers.

But hey, just my .02C.

I'm with you. TV manufacturers are not good with dealing with software updates for their "smart" platform. They're fighting to not become "dumb" screens but don't have the skills or the mindset required to maintain their software properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #912 of 1424 Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post

But hey, just my .02C.
Agreed. Ditch the SmartTV aspects, and concentrate on delivering us a quality viewing experience. As a consumer, my primary focus and concern is that my television delivers a quality image for my media/entertainment needs. When purchasing a new set, my primary concerns is not whether the set is running a specific OS or its offerings. I have a roku, Nvidia Shield, PS4 and other addon's attached to my receiver to accommodate any apps that I need. Now a days, there are so many different avenues that you can take to fulfill your personal viewing needs. An OS within a TV is not needed IMHO but to each their own. Manufactures should at least give us an option to purchase the same quality TV without the OS and price it accordingly.
post #913 of 1424 Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using their tv with Google Home? I decided to buy the 65" 850D because of the news back in December that Google Home now worked with Bravia Android TV (allowing voice control over certain functions). So, I bought an 850D on Monday and have had no luck in setting it up with Google Home. My set is running 5.1.1, so maybe it won't work until I receive MM? I can cast from my phone to the tv with no issues, but Google Home just won't recognize the tv.
post #914 of 1424 Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreallyitsme View Post
Saw this article come up on the android tv subreddit so thought I would share it here.

Danish site claiming Sony told them at CES that 2015, 2016 and 2017 models would all be getting Nougat 7.0.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?s...&id=1484294601

Maybe this is why 6.0 is so delayed? They've already started working on 7.0? hahaha
I spoke to Sony Customer service and they told me that MM would be released soon. They wouldn't give me an ETA. This was a couple of weeks ago.

Also, I asked if they were aware the USB would continue to power even when the TV is off, making the usb powered BIAS LED lights come on randomly. They said that they were aware and working on a fix.

Guess we'll see.
madmadworld and Dub from GA like this.
post #915 of 1424 Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdmig View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say I got the 850c marshmallow update installed on my 65x850d

Everything is working well, video player plays the videos properly over the media network

Only thing I haven't figured out is to put apps on the external drive. I have it formatted for external storage but not sure what to do after
Can you elaborate on how you did this?
post #916 of 1424 Old 01-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, I must be missing something. Got the TV running with a yamaha rx-679. ARC on both is on. HDMI control is on. TV won't recognize the external speakers. Keeps wanting to switch back to the TV speakers. Only work around I have found is once everything is on, go to the TV settings menu and hit restart. After TV boots back up, I can switch to external speakers and all is good. Until the next power cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #917 of 1424 Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So with the help of you guys and reading about 300 pages in this and other reviews I pulled the trigger on this TV. I have had it about three weeks and so far I love it. I wanted to mention one very specific issue I just noticed last night and see if anyone else has experienced this.

I was watching episode 2 of the OA in 4K on Netflix. There were scenes in which subtitles appeared at the bottom of the screen. When the subtitles came on the whole screen dimmed somewhat dramatically. I have never noticed this at any other time. I am not sure if it is specific to the show I was watching or the TV. I have not watched anything else containing subtitles and perhaps I should try to find something to see if produces the same result.

Also one more perhaps stupid question. The only 4K content I watch streams from the TV itself from the Netflix and YouTube apps on the TV. My signal is from a TiVo box. I have the TiVo running from an old maybe not 4K compliant HDMI. As the apps are on the TV itself I would think there would be no reason to upgrade my HDMI's correct? I have nothing coming from the TiVo box itself that is provided any content in 4K.

Thanks for all your help in this process.
post #918 of 1424 Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holderman View Post

I was watching episode 2 of the OA in 4K on Netflix. There were scenes in which subtitles appeared at the bottom of the screen. When the subtitles came on the whole screen dimmed somewhat dramatically. I have never noticed this at any other time. I am not sure if it is specific to the show I was watching or the TV. I have not watched anything else containing subtitles and perhaps I should try to find something to see if produces the same result.
Turn off the Dynamic Contrast Enhancer (I think that's what it's called).
Dub from GA likes this.
post #919 of 1424 Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question DLNA Not Working

Has anyone here got the video/photo app to work? The TV is supposed to be DLNA certified and some reason I cannot get it to see a DNLA certified device.

Advice?

Thanks,

-=SunnaH=-
post #920 of 1424 Old 01-29-2017, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Picked up an X850D yesterday. So far it's awesome. Watching the NFL ProBowl right now, and it's incredible.

One minor issue has come up, and that is that it bumped my L/R speakers from the stand. Will have to come up with a solution to that.

Aside from that, I'm beginning the process of automating network/voice control. One very cool app is Notifications for Android TV, which displays notifications from another Android tablet or phone on your TV as an overlay.
Dub from GA likes this.
post #921 of 1424 Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post
Picked up an X850D yesterday. So far it's awesome. Watching the NFL ProBowl right now, and it's incredible.

One minor issue has come up, and that is that it bumped my L/R speakers from the stand. Will have to come up with a solution to that.

Aside from that, I'm beginning the process of automating network/voice control. One very cool app is Notifications for Android TV, which displays notifications from another Android tablet or phone on your TV as an overlay.
Are you using the default Live Sports setting or did you tweak it to your liking? I finally mounted my 75X850D this past weekend and installed some ambient lighting in the back. Looks very nice I must say. :P What does everyone recommend to clean the screen? It was a pain to get some of the hand prints my 2yr old left on it. Main reason why I mounted it. heh
post #922 of 1424 Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Are you using the default Live Sports setting or did you tweak it to your liking? I finally mounted my 75X850D this past weekend and installed some ambient lighting in the back. Looks very nice I must say. :P What does everyone recommend to clean the screen? It was a pain to get some of the hand prints my 2yr old left on it. Main reason why I mounted it. heh
I see it has a Live Football mode. That mode seems garish from a picture perspective, and does little for the audio. I'm running it exclusively in Cinema Pro mode, which I've begun adjusting based on my own room. I have a few paintings that have the full span of gorgeous colors in them, and I'll be adjusting with those paintings right next to the set.

As for audio, I have a mode set up that pushes settings to the Denon AVR. The settings turn down the center channel all the way (-12), and turn up the surrounds. This mostly eliminates the announcers, or at least pushes them far enough into the background that they are a non factor. And I am not running compression; you clearly hear sticks and skates on the ice for NHL games almost as if you are there.

My unit spans a corner, so rear LED lighting might not be too useful. It might be a distraction. I keep the ambient lighting elsewhere in the room.

Sony X850D 65", Denon X3300W, Def.Tech ProCinema 60, Alexa http/ip voice control
post #923 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So two questions, tired a search and couldn't quite find an answer for either.

First off, anyone notice the tv has a slight lean backwards after being on the stand for awhile? It's not terrible, but I'm just particular enough I noticed it and now that's all I can see. Just wondering if anyone else had the issue and had a work around.

Secondly, I have my PS4 connected directly to the tv (receiver doesn't pass 4k) and run an optical from tv back to avr. It seems the audio is behind the picture enough to where I notice the difference. I know my Denon has an audio delay feature, but that only works if the audio is ahead of the picture not behind. Suggestions? Or just deal with it? By the way it happens when I use the PS4 and using the tv apps such as Hulu, Netflix, Youtube....

Sony Bravia 55X850D
Denon AVR-591
Sony SSF-5000 Front L/R
Sony SSCN-3000 Center and Surround L/R
Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote
Sony PS4 Gaming Console
post #924 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:

First off, anyone notice the tv has a slight lean backwards after being on the stand for awhile? It's not terrible, but I'm just particular enough I noticed it and now that's all I can see. Just wondering if anyone else had the issue and had a work around.

Secondly, I have my PS4 connected directly to the tv (receiver doesn't pass 4k) and run an optical from tv back to avr. It seems the audio is behind the picture enough to where I notice the difference. I know my Denon has an audio delay feature, but that only works if the audio is ahead of the picture not behind. Suggestions? Or just deal with it? By the way it happens when I use the PS4 and using the tv apps such as Hulu, Netflix, Youtube....
Have you tried swapping out Optical cables? Also check that you have HDMI format to Enhanced checked in the Audio settings of the TV? Try a reset of the TV by holding down the power button for a few seconds, it will do a full reboot. Should not erase any custom settings.
post #925 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Glow from each corner of screen

I just setup my brand new XBR-75x850D and I'm getting used to the wonky contract on this set compared to my 50 inch Pioneer Kuro Elite that it replaced. *moment of silence*

So, when there is no picture the background seems greyish with clouding (non uniform greyness) and a white glow from the edges of the screen. Is this normal with this edge-lit LED technology or do I have a bum set?

Shows and so forth look fantastic so far, only when the whole screen is dark do I notice this.

XBR-75X850D
post #926 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Peters View Post
I just setup my brand new XBR-75x850D and I'm getting used to the wonky contract on this set compared to my 50 inch Pioneer Kuro Elite that it replaced. *moment of silence*

So, when there is no picture the background seems greyish with clouding (non uniform greyness) and a white glow from the edges of the screen. Is this normal with this edge-lit LED technology or do I have a bum set?

Shows and so forth look fantastic so far, only when the whole screen is dark do I notice this.
Unfortunately, it is common for this particular set. Some have reported very little flash lighting to non. Others have reported very obvious flash lighting and have returned it for a new set. You can read the full review and details of the black uniformity here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d

Surround Sound Setup: 5.1.2..............
Sony XBR75X850D | Denon AVR-X2400H
BIC Acoustech PL-980L 3-way x2 Floor Speakers | BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker
Micca M-8C 8 Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling In-Wall Speakers for ATMOS
NVidia Shield TV (Game Stream in 4K) | Sony PS4 | Roku 3 |QNAP TS-453A PLEX Media Server
post #927 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I have mine on optical out as well but Going to a 13 year old pioneer elite avr and sound is perfectly in sync! I don't think my receiver even has and adjustment for this! Maybe try another cable!
post #928 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Peters View Post

Mine was same way at first! What I did was take a microfiber cloth put the TV on a dark seen and in a dark room and massage the TV to uniformity! Haven't touched it since and it still looks as good as when I first laid down the massage!
post #929 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 07:36 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EROracing View Post
Mine was same way at first! What I did was take a microfiber cloth put the TV on a dark seen and in a dark room and massage the TV to uniformity! Haven't touched it since and it still looks as good as when I first laid down the massage!
Wow, awesome idea, didn't know this sort of thing was possible... I might give it a shot...
post #930 of 1424 Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Liked: 3
Does anyone know how to adjust the "first launch app?"

When I power my X850D on, it boots into Netflix every time... I can cancel and boot nito man menu no problem, just kind of annoying it always starts on Netflix seemingly...

I seen a "default launch app" you can download in the store, but would be nice if this could be done without additional software...

Can the androidTV be rooted, and is there any benefits or must-have software to load up on it?

Does anyone know if you can link a PS3 dual shock controller to this TV? I saw some paid apps on the store that claim they can perform this, but curious if it can be done for free...

thanks!

Last edited by userGT42R; 02-01-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
connect:amp , receiver , speaker:sound , television:setup , XBR-X850D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page