Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #4651 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just installed a new X940D, looks pretty good right out of the box. Quick comment about AustinJerry's settings (I just applied them in full), am I correct in observing that the changes from the factory settings are not that drastic? I like the end result but felt like the changes were smaller adjustments than I anticipated making. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11295 Post(s)
Liked: 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Perinne View Post
I just installed a new X940D, looks pretty good right out of the box. Quick comment about AustinJerry's settings (I just applied them in full), am I correct in observing that the changes from the factory settings are not that drastic? I like the end result but felt like the changes were smaller adjustments than I anticipated making. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Depends on which of the picture modes you are comparing it to. The differences between my settings and the factory default Cinema Pro picture mode will be less dramatic than the Vivid picture mode.
post #4653 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 11:13 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Depends on which of the picture modes you are comparing it to. The differences between my settings and the factory default Cinema Pro picture mode will be less dramatic than the Vivid picture mode.
Hi - I'm comparing it to the Standard picture mode as it came out of the box, I watched that for about 30 minutes before applying your settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
I have been following the Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread and there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the proper settings for various displays, with some displays having problems with HDR. Can someone here with the X940D and the UB900 comment on whether these devices play well together?
I have them, and they play together pretty well. In general, I have all the Panasonic settings on "auto" (including deep color), and I'm not seeing any banding or other issues on my 940D. When playing a 4K UHD disc, the UB900 sends a 4:4:4/12-bit signal to the 940D and it looks just great!

The only issue I occasionally have is that, even though I've set the HDMI input to "Enhanced" on the Sony, sometimes HDR is not automatically triggered on the 940D when playing a UHD disc.
AustinJerry and brickyardz like this.

Last edited by LRS3; 09-16-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #4655 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 01:57 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post
I have them, and they play together pretty well. In general, I have all the Panasonic settings on "auto" (including deep color), and I'm not seeing any banding or other issues on my 940D. When playing a 4K UHD disc, the UB900 sends a 4:4:4/12-bit signal to the 940D and it looks just great!

The only issue I occasionally have is that, even I've set the HDMI input to "Enhanced" on the Sony, sometimes HDR is not automatically triggered on the 940D when playing a UHD disc.
Thanks for the feedback!
post #4656 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So another user posted about trails/ghosting and referenced a Youtube video of a girl band. I watched it and didn't see much ghosting in the content but did notice these trails on my Xbox One S.

I do still have my X900A 65" and my Xbox One and the same behavior does not happen. The video is in gaming mode but isn't any better on the other modes.

post #4657 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Perinne View Post
There are no exact settings that work for everyone. Just like salt and pepper, everyone applies them to their taste. Just like what I'm eating, I found that it also changes depending on the input media and the way and what's being supplied. Some cooks already salted them for you. Anyway, there are no fixed formulas. Basically I did a tweak there and a tweak here from the factory settings starting from basically everything "flat" and adjusting from there. But gently.
post #4658 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKL View Post
There are no exact settings that work for everyone. Just like salt and pepper, everyone applies them to their taste. Just like what I'm eating, I found that it also changes depending on the input media and the way and what's being supplied. Some cooks already salted them for you. Anyway, there are no fixed formulas. Basically I did a tweak there and a tweak here from the factory settings starting from basically everything "flat" and adjusting from there. But gently.
There may not be any fixed formulas, but when it comes to calibrating a display there are settings that need to be dialed in using a colorimeter and calibration software, if you want to have to have the display at "reference". If "preference" is what you want, then your approach is fine.
post #4659 of 13192 Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
There may not be any fixed formulas, but when it comes to calibrating a display there are settings that need to be dialed in using a colorimeter and calibration software, if you want to have to have the display at "reference". If "preference" is what you want, then your approach is fine.
No one keeps a display at reference if by that you mean matching a color chart with certain contrast and lighting measurements. We all have different tastes. Reference only matters of you're sending the results to someone else to look at. I do that with my photos and use a $1200 calibrated monitor so my photos are adjusted to a standard. However, I still adjust to my preference. It's just that when I make a photo file, and send it to someone else, if they have a calibrated monitor, then their color on my file will look the same as I saw it on my monitor. Or it becomes important when I change the view such as when I make a print of the photo file.

But with a TV, it's all preference. I'm the only one looking at my TV beside the other people in the room who hopefully will accept my version of the color scheme I set. I want to see it how it best looks to me. The TV isn't being sent elsewhere. The image isn't being reproduced somewhere else to be viewed at a standard reference point. Only the people in the room will see it. So for all practical purposes, whatever settings my eyes find pleasing and preferable are what counts. Think about it another way. If everyone wanted to look at the TV set to a reference point, why bother with different picture modes such as vivid, standard, cinema pro, cinema home, etc etc. None of these are reference. They're provided because everyone has different preferences.
zAndy12 and djoberg like this.
post #4660 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 12:52 AM

Liked: 15
I returned a Samsung UN78JU7500 due to banding issues and decided to try the Sony 940D instead. My first impression is that this TV is noticeably less bright than the Samsung but the colors are much more vivid. On the Samsung I could mess with both Backlight and Brightness, but on the Sony there is only a brightness control and I can't get it to look anywhere near as bright as the Samsung was. On both sets, I tried some of the recommended settings found in these user forums and others.

Are these Sony displays just a little "washed out" compared to the Samsungs or am I missing something?
post #4661 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 60
About to pull the trigger on a 940D and was wondering what you guys thought about getting an extended warranty? Good idea? Which one is best? Stuff like that.
Never spent so much on a single piece of video or audio equipment in my life so I'm kinda concerned. Thanks.
post #4662 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
I'm going to magnolia this Saturday to put the 930, 940, Z9, E6, and KS8000 through some "torture" tests.

I'm testing motion (microstutter on Samsung), near black (E6), smearing/bleed (sony). I've put together a bunch of scenes on a USB drive.

What is a good scene in a movie to test smearing?
Don't keep us waiting! Looking forward to your test results and thoughts. Thanks for taking the time. Regards. Ned.
brickyardz and djoberg like this.
post #4663 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone

After a long decision (one month) i have made my choice , i just received a xd940 this afternoon! And to tell you the truth i am totally blow away! coming from a 55' 2009 led samsung this 75' is from another world

Pro:
- picture quality...just watched one episode of house of cards in 4k..waouw
- motion...
- the colors are just....
- android tv is really good
- upscalling is damn good...

cons:
- why they didnt deliver it in 100 inch!(for the same price of course)

yes there are sometimes some blooming but this picture quality is just to good to be true!! the blacks are really deep black...and red/white are poping out of the tv

my first choice was a 78js9500 but when i received the tv it didn't worked \...so i changed to this one (it was my second choice)...lucky guy i am even more happy with xd94, the curve was not really my cup of tea in fact!

with my home cinema (krell s1200/s1500) this my dream configuration! even watching hd channels is a joy....
gwsat likes this.
post #4664 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Is there a way to check if HDR is working while watching on Netflix on the included app?
post #4665 of 13192 Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
Is there a way to check if HDR is working while watching on Netflix on the included app?
Click the Action Menu, then Picture Adjustments, and observe the Picture Mode. If the display has detected an HDR signal, it will automatically shift to HDR Picture Mode.
post #4666 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Click the Action Menu, then Picture Adjustments, and observe the Picture Mode. If the display has detected an HDR signal, it will automatically shift to HDR Picture Mode.
Thanks AustinJerry. It says HDR Video under Picture Mode. What does Auto Picture Mode do? And why is it greyed out?
post #4667 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 06:33 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks AustinJerry. It says HDR Video under Picture Mode. What does Auto Picture Mode do? And why is it greyed out?
Auto picture mode is available when watching non-HDR content. Sony uses some magic to decide which picture mode to use, depending on the content being displayed. I don't know the logic behind how they make the selection, but I definitely know that I don't want my picture mode being changed arbitrarily. I leve this setting off. It is not available during HDR because Sony feels that HDR mode should be enabled and not changed.
post #4668 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 06:39 AM

I noticed that, when I watch Netflix using the built in apps, it changes the Picture mode to something else, not the Custom one that I configured (according to AustinJerry's settings). Is there a way to change the Picture mode that it uses? For example I noticed that the Picture Mode it uses for Netflix Marco Polo is HDR Video. It won't let me change some settings like Light Sensor, or Auto Local Dimming, or X-tended Dynamic Range.
post #4669 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 07:16 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I noticed that, when I watch Netflix using the built in apps, it changes the Picture mode to something else, not the Custom one that I configured (according to AustinJerry's settings). Is there a way to change the Picture mode that it uses? For example I noticed that the Picture Mode it uses for Netflix Marco Polo is HDR Video. It won't let me change some settings like Light Sensor, or Auto Local Dimming, or X-tended Dynamic Range.
My recommendations:

1. Turn off the auto picture mode setting.
2. Configure your favorite picture mode (e.g. Custom) with the settings you like.
3. Configure all your HDMI inputs, as well as the TV apps, to use the Custom picture mode. This way there is uniformity as you switch from one input to another.
4. When viewing HDR content, the display will switch to HDR mode. There are some settings you can adjust while in HDR mode, others that you can't. Live with it.
post #4670 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
My recommendations:

1. Turn off the auto picture mode setting.
2. Configure your favorite picture mode (e.g. Custom) with the settings you like.
3. Configure all your HDMI inputs, as well as the TV apps, to use the Custom picture mode. This way there is uniformity as you switch from one input to another.
4. When viewing HDR content, the display will switch to HDR mode. There are some settings you can adjust while in HDR mode, others that you can't. Live with it.
Thanks AustinJerry. Dumb question, how do you configure individual apps to use a certain picture mode?
post #4671 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticos View Post
I bought the Xbox One S about three weeks ago and it's been perfect - until yesterday. Watching Marco Polo (Netflix) everything looked incredible but since yesterday evening it doesn't go into HDR mode (during this show) and other Netflix shows go from good to grainy and then back to good again. However if I use the Netflix TV app it looks incredible. There are quite a few complaints in the Xbox thread about this system (Netflix problems as well as certain UHD Blu-rays not playing). I believe my One S is going back to Best Buy this week.

Did he Xbox s ever work? Just got one for 4K UHD (debating on z9 vs 940) for the $210 Walmart deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #4672 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 07:37 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks AustinJerry. Dumb question, how do you configure individual apps to use a certain picture mode?
Not a dumb question at all. Launch a TV app, say Netflix. While the app is running, click Action Menu, then Picture Settings, and select Custom from the Picture Mode drop-down.

Based on my experience, once you have set the picture mode for one TV app, the same picture mode is in effect for all other TV apps. You may want to verify this.
post #4673 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewithquestions View Post
So another user posted about trails/ghosting and referenced a Youtube video of a girl band. I watched it and didn't see much ghosting in the content but did notice these trails on my Xbox One S.

I do still have my X900A 65" and my Xbox One and the same behavior does not happen. The video is in gaming mode but isn't any better on the other modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2poQeRZ6WI
That's it!! That is exactly what I see in content with a dark object moving against a lighter background. This is called smearing -- looks like a wake or ripples left behind an object. Thanks for this -- now everyone here can see what I've been complaining about for the last couple of months.
brickyardz, djoberg and kgraf18 like this.
post #4674 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
That's it!! That is exactly what I see in content with a dark object moving against a lighter background. This is called smearing -- looks like a wake or ripples left behind an object. Thanks for this -- now everyone here can see what I've been complaining about for the last couple of months.

Yeah, I see it too when playing a video game like Battlefield and my weapon has a laser sight on it and you swing back and forth. The laser leaves like a 1 inch trail behind it, like a sparkler firework in the dark.

I don't notice it though when watching movies, it could be that it's because the objects take up much more of the screen, not sure.
post #4675 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Did he Xbox s ever work? Just got one for 4K UHD (debating on z9 vs 940) for the $210 Walmart deal.
I returned the Xbox One S yesterday as it was still going into full HDR mode when using the Xbox Netflix app. And as I understand it UHD Blu-rays from Universal aren't playing on it. These two problems will probably be fixed with an update. Note that problems are with the Xbox - not the 940D. Anyhow, I ordered the Gears of War version Xbox for my son's birthday and will probably also get a PlayStation Pro when it comes out in November.

For UHD Blu-rays I've got my eye on the upcoming Oppo UDP-203.
gwsat and brickyardz like this.
post #4676 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Damn. And the ATMOS is still not working - last month Microsoft said true but streaming was coming. Well, that sucks. Wanted one
Box (use plex for live tv )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #4677 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppexpat View Post
Hello everyone

After a long decision (one month) i have made my choice , i just received a xd940 this afternoon! And to tell you the truth i am totally blow away! coming from a 55' 2009 led samsung this 75' is from another world

Pro:
- picture quality...just watched one episode of house of cards in 4k..waouw
- motion...
- the colors are just....
- android tv is really good
- upscalling is damn good...

cons:
- why they didnt deliver it in 100 inch!(for the same price of course)

yes there are sometimes some blooming but this picture quality is just to good to be true!! the blacks are really deep black...and red/white are poping out of the tv

my first choice was a 78js9500 but when i received the tv it didn't worked \...so i changed to this one (it was my second choice)...lucky guy i am even more happy with xd94, the curve was not really my cup of tea in fact!

with my home cinema (krell s1200/s1500) this my dream configuration! even watching hd channels is a joy....
I am about to pull the trigger on the 940D myself. Thanks for there info
brickyardz likes this.
post #4678 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post
The only issue I occasionally have is that, even though I've set the HDMI input to "Enhanced" on the Sony, sometimes HDR is not automatically triggered on the 940D when playing a UHD disc.
I had the same issue - the built in netflix app would trigger the 940D's HDR mode, but my external sources (xbox one S as well as a philips uhd 4k blu ray player) would not. I enabled "HDMI Control" on my Yamaha RX-A760 receiver, and now the TV gets properly triggered into HDR mode when the source is HDR.
post #4679 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When using an Xbox One S - I have a couple of options in its video output settings which I'm not sure about:

Color Depth - my options are 8 bit, 10 bit, or 12 bit.
Color Space - my options are Standard or PC RGB

Which should I be using with the 940D? Thanks!
post #4680 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm getting my 940d in a couple of days. What is the recommended UHD Blu-ray player? I was about to get an Xbox One S but it sounds like it can't play a number of movies :-\.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page