Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #4681 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
My recommendations:

1. Turn off the auto picture mode setting.
2. Configure your favorite picture mode (e.g. Custom) with the settings you like.
3. Configure all your HDMI inputs, as well as the TV apps, to use the Custom picture mode. This way there is uniformity as you switch from one input to another.
4. When viewing HDR content, the display will switch to HDR mode. There are some settings you can adjust while in HDR mode, others that you can't. Live with it.
Do you have any recommended calibration settings for HDR mode? I'm using your Custom settings now but was curious if you had any specific settings for HDR-mode. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 02:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 390 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post
Do you have any recommended calibration settings for HDR mode? I'm using your Custom settings now but was curious if you had any specific settings for HDR-mode. Thanks!
There are no consumer tools available yet to perform an HDR calibration, so no, I have no recommendations at this time. Besides, I am still on the fence regarding which UHD player to buy, so my only HDR content source at this time is what is available on Netflix.
post #4683 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBays View Post
I'm getting my 940d in a couple of days. What is the recommended UHD Blu-ray player? I was about to get an Xbox One S but it sounds like it can't play a number of movies :-\.
I have the Philips BDP7501 UHD player and it works great! I currently own 10 UHD/HDR movies and they all play fine...I'm also planning to buy up to 10 more in the next couple of months and I trust they'll all play fine (I am experiencing light-bleed on some of the discs but I can't imagine that this is the fault of the player...it's either the discs themselves or my display). The Philips doesn't have a lot of "bells & whistles" but it gets the job done in good fashion when it comes to PQ!

I read that the Oppo will be releasing their UHD player by the end of the year for only $499! That would be an amazing price for an Oppo (and quite a bit less than the Panasonic). If I get another 4K tv I will be buying that for my 940D and I'll keep the Philips for my second display.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So I'm enjoying my xbr75x940d but I'm seeing some issues and not sure how to correct them if possible. I mostly use my TV with an Xbox One S so not sure if it's something on there or the TV itself. I notice when on the dashboard of the system colors are darker and more uniform. When I run an application like netflix the screen will flicker like its changing inputs and then colors will change. I think it does this because it's a native 4K application, as when running the UHD blu-ray player it does this as well but no other applications that aren't 4K do this. Has anyone with this setup noticed this or anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? I do run everything through a yamaha RX-V679

If I look at the display settings it looks like it's keeping my settings but colors are definitely different, almost unwatchable as certain colors look horrible (whites mostly). Maybe my xbox hates sony? lol jk
post #4685 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 03:54 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzibit190 View Post
So I'm enjoying my xbr75x940d but I'm seeing some issues and not sure how to correct them if possible. I mostly use my TV with an Xbox One S so not sure if it's something on there or the TV itself. I notice when on the dashboard of the system colors are darker and more uniform. When I run an application like netflix the screen will flicker like its changing inputs and then colors will change. I think it does this because it's a native 4K application, as when running the UHD blu-ray player it does this as well but no other applications that aren't 4K do this. Has anyone with this setup noticed this or anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? I do run everything through a yamaha RX-V679

If I look at the display settings it looks like it's keeping my settings but colors are definitely different, almost unwatchable as certain colors look horrible (whites mostly). Maybe my xbox hates sony? lol jk
I would double-check to see it the display is switching picture modes. That could easily explain what the PQ is changing.
post #4686 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM

It's not changing pictures modes far as I can tell, looking at display settings it's indeed set to custom w/ all my settings intact even have auto picture mode off. I saw someone mention something about HDR enabling maybe since the system supports that it's turning on HDR and changing my color settings? If so why would it do that? I do have all my HDMI ports to dynamic auto should I try full instead?
post #4687 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 04:06 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
It's not changing pictures modes far as I can tell, looking at display settings it's indeed set to custom w/ all my settings intact even have auto picture mode off. I saw someone mention something about HDR enabling maybe since the system supports that it's turning on HDR and changing my color settings? If so why would it do that? I do have all my HDMI ports to dynamic auto should I try full instead?
HDR is actually a picture mode. So if you are seeing "Custom" as the picture mode, it has not switched to HDR mode.

What is "dynamic" mode? HDMI has "standard" and "enhanced" mode.
post #4688 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Yeah than I have no idea why it's doing this then guess it's not HDR, very well could be xbox related which is horrible. Makes netflix and anything UHD unwatchable imo. Not sure the proper term but whites bleed or whatever, for example on a show when someone opens a fridge the whites are so bright you can hardly see what's in the fridge cause it's to bright. Again only happens when the system changes to an app that can handle 4K video.
post #4689 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 04:41 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Yeah than I have no idea why it's doing this then guess it's not HDR, very well could be xbox related which is horrible. Makes netflix and anything UHD unwatchable imo. Not sure the proper term but whites bleed or whatever, for example on a show when someone opens a fridge the whites are so bright you can hardly see what's in the fridge cause it's to bright. Again only happens when the system changes to an app that can handle 4K video.
You have options to watch 4K content that doesn't involve the xbox, like using the Netflix or Amazon app on the TV. What else have you tried, and are they poor PQ as well?
post #4690 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM

Seems to be the same when viewing a 4K app on there as well (Netflix) wonder if it's a display setting or something. I used these settings for the most part (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Settings.pdf)
post #4691 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6665
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklivia View Post
About to pull the trigger on a 940D and was wondering what you guys thought about getting an extended warranty? Good idea? Which one is best? Stuff like that.
Never spent so much on a single piece of video or audio equipment in my life so I'm kinda concerned. Thanks.
The odds of using a extended warranty in the first 5 years are 10% per Mack Warranty. Odds are in your favor but nothing worse then in year 2 your screen goes bad and the TV is not worth fixing. To add insult to injury, in most cases, you will pay $100 for someone to tell you this Buying a warranty online is pretty cheap, I think they are worth the piece of mind.
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #4692 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 06:27 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Seems to be the same when viewing a 4K app on there as well (Netflix) wonder if it's a display setting or something. I used these settings for the most part (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Settings.pdf)
Something is wrong then.
post #4693 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 07:23 PM

So finally started messing around with this more after annoying me for couple days now. Still not sure whats up but seems when I'm in these apps if I put on HDR picture mode from my normal custom settings the colors adjust to what I normally see outside the apps. Fix but not ideal...
post #4694 of 13192 Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
There are no consumer tools available yet to perform an HDR calibration, so no, I have no recommendations at this time. Besides, I am still on the fence regarding which UHD player to buy, so my only HDR content source at this time is what is available on Netflix.
I think in about 2 1/2 months I'd get the new Oppo UHD player! And don't look back!
brickyardz and djoberg like this.
post #4695 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
I think in about 2 1/2 months I'd get the new Oppo UHD player! And don't look back!
I read it was only going to cost $499. That's a STEAL for an Oppo.
brickyardz likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #4696 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My tv auto select 3D for guardian of galaxy. How to I stop this from happening? The movie doesn't have the option to turn it off.
post #4697 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The new Oppo UHD player is also supposed to come with MQA for Audio as well...I was told by Oppo....But wow for $500that would be a steal for sure...I also really like their DAC/Headphone amp...

Cheers!
brickyardz likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
post #4698 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I spent hours trying to figure out the HDR mode stuff.. I could not get HDR sources to "trigger" the 940D into HDR mode, and when you have an HDR source playing, but the 940D is not in HDR mode, the colors looked terrible (very washed out).. Neither the Xbox one S or the Philips UHD 4k blu ray player would trigger HDR on the 940D. Long story short, it ended up being a setting on my Yamaha Receiver - I enabled "HDMI Control" on the Yamaha receiver, and now the 940D is properly triggered into HDR mode when an HDR source is played. The colors look great.

I also had one instance where the 940D where it was "Stuck" in HDR Mode, which made non-HDR sources look crazy bright - not good at all. I ended up pulling the power for the 940D, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in which fixed it being stuck in HDR mode.

Press "Action Menu" on the remote then go to "Picture Adjustments" and you can see which mode the TV is currently in. I use "Custom" (using AustinJerry's settings), and then when an HDR source is played, the 940D should automatically switch to "HDR" mode. Once you switch back to a non-HDR source, the 940D goes back into my "Custom" mode automatically.

All seems to be well now.
post #4699 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I spent hours trying to figure out the HDR mode stuff.. I could not get HDR sources to "trigger" the 940D into HDR mode, and when you have an HDR source playing, but the 940D is not in HDR mode, the colors looked terrible (very washed out).. Neither the Xbox one S or the Philips UHD 4k blu ray player would trigger HDR on the 940D. Long story short, it ended up being a setting on my Yamaha Receiver - I enabled "HDMI Control" on the Yamaha receiver, and now the 940D is properly triggered into HDR mode when an HDR source is played. The colors look great.

I also had one instance where the 940D where it was "Stuck" in HDR Mode, which made non-HDR sources look crazy bright - not good at all. I ended up pulling the power for the 940D, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in which fixed it being stuck in HDR mode.

Press "Action Menu" on the remote then go to "Picture Adjustments" and you can see which mode the TV is currently in. I use "Custom" (using AustinJerry's settings), and then when an HDR source is played, the 940D should automatically switch to "HDR" mode. Once you switch back to a non-HDR source, the 940D goes back into my "Custom" mode automatically.

That's good info. I too have a Yamaha receiver (A660) but am having trouble with the automatic flip to HDR mode with the Xbox One S and HDR UHD discs. When I fire up Mad Max the bluray actually warns me it is designed to be played on a HDR TV. If I hook the Xbox up directly to the 940D then it has no issues.

I'll verify HDMI control is enabled when I'm home tonight otherwise I may have to contact Yamaha since it's supposed to be a direct passthru.
post #4700 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewithquestions View Post
That's good info. I too have a Yamaha receiver (A660) but am having trouble with the automatic flip to HDR mode with the Xbox One S and HDR UHD discs. When I fire up Mad Max the bluray actually warns me it is designed to be played on a HDR TV. If I hook the Xbox up directly to the 940D then it has no issues.

I'll verify HDMI control is enabled when I'm home tonight otherwise I may have to contact Yamaha since it's supposed to be a direct passthru.
Check page 104 of your A660 owner's manual on how to switch HDMI 4K signal format to "Mode 1" (default is Mode 2).
dominica and onewithquestions like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #4701 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just set up a 940D, connected its HDMI (ARC) input to the Monitor Out on my non-4k-capable Denon 4520, and set HDMI Control to "On" in my receiver. My thinking was I can use the apps on the 4520 to get 4K video and send the audio to my receiver. I didn't actually try to play any 4k content, but when I turned on the 940D this morning using the component output from my Dish PVR, I got all these nasty messages about not having a compliant device/connection in the chain. Those went away when I ran through the HDMI on my receiver, but I usually watch daytime programming without my receiver on.

I turned the HDMI control back to "Off," and everything was fine. I might be able to fix the problem by setting the HDMI pass through on my receiver, but it leads to this question: I have other sources to access Netflix and Amazon, but none of them are 4k or HDR-capable. I can't use them to play 4k content, right?
samorist likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #4702 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Many thanks to you AustinJerry for your generous time and skills to provide us fellow X940D owners with a way to hit the ground running with these fabulous displays. I've had mine now for a little over a week and look forward to watching it like it was the first time.

As a part of my package with Best Buy they are scheduled to come back out in a few weeks to do an ISF calibration on the display and it's my guess that it won't change all that much from your personal calibration.
AustinJerry likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
post #4703 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 01:03 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
The new Oppo UHD player is also supposed to come with MQA for Audio as well...I was told by Oppo....But wow for $500that would be a steal for sure...I also really like their DAC/Headphone amp...

Cheers!
Like with the current generation Oppo's, I suspect we will see two versions of their UHD player, with a more expensive model having premium audio features. If MQA is offered, it wouldn't surprise me to see it only on the premium player, which is likely to be considerably more expensive than $500. Purely conjecture at this point.
post #4704 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:

So looks like this MIGHT be my issue, I turned of HDMI controller on my Yamaha because anytime I turned it on or had devices turn on at the sametime it would always try and go into an AV audio rather than the HDMI input audio (Seems alot of people had this issue and turned it off to fix). Also I notice when I go back from HDR mode to custom when closing an app the TV would seem to freak out and stick on a white snow screen and I'd have to switch inputs back and forth.
post #4705 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
So looks like this MIGHT be my issue, I turned of HDMI controller on my Yamaha because anytime I turned it on or had devices turn on at the sametime it would always try and go into an AV audio rather than the HDMI input audio (Seems alot of people had this issue and turned it off to fix). Also I notice when I go back from HDR mode to custom when closing an app the TV would seem to freak out and stick on a white snow screen and I'd have to switch inputs back and forth.
So I thought this might have fixed it but looks more like it was a temporary thing as now it's back to not switching with HDMI control on my Yamaha receiver. I disconnected the xbox one s from the receiver and directly connected it to the xbr75x940d and anytime HDR content is used I have to manually set the mode to HDR or the colors looked washed. Anyone else with any HDR content running into this issue? I don't think it's the xbox or my receiver as I tried the xbox on my friends samsung which has HDR and doesn't have an issue auto displaying, would a bad cable cause it not to auto switch on this model?
post #4706 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Check page 104 of your A660 owner's manual on how to switch HDMI 4K signal format to "Mode 1" (default is Mode 2).
That did it, thank you so much for that! My previous Pioneer exposed all of the settings right away. Suppose everyone is different.
bluemoon737 likes this.
post #4707 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
As a part of my package with Best Buy they are scheduled to come back out in a few weeks to do an ISF calibration on the display and it's my guess that it won't change all that much from your personal calibration.
When the Geek Squad delivered and set up my 940D one of them turned to me and asked me if I wanted him to come back for an ISF calibration (he's been certified for years). But at one point during the set up he said, "Your display will look so awesome after a calibration, especially with the Local Dimming turned off." I was speechless (for two seconds) when he said that and finally responded with, "Why in the world would you do that?" He said, "Because I sincerely believe ALL enhancements should be disabled." I ended up telling him, "No thanks on the calibration." Everything I've ever read and heard about FALD assures me that he doesn't know what he's doing by disabling it.

So, if you are going to have BB do a calibration, make sure the calibrator doesn't have the same mindset as the one I just mentioned. You do NOT want to disable your FALD!
zAndy12 and MikeTV69 like this.

post #4708 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
When the Geek Squad delivered and set up my 940D one of them turned to me and asked me if I wanted him to come back for an ISF calibration (he's been certified for years). But at one point during the set up he said, "Your display will look so awesome after a calibration, especially with the Local Dimming turned off." I was speechless (for two seconds) when he said that and finally responded with, "Why in the world would you do that?" He said, "Because I sincerely believe ALL enhancements should be disabled." I ended up telling him, "No thanks on the calibration." Everything I've ever read and heard about FALD assures me that he doesn't know what he's doing by disabling it.

So, if you are going to have BB do a calibration, make sure the calibrator doesn't have the same mindset as the one I just mentioned. You do NOT want to disable your FALD!
Wow! Turn off Local Dimming. Why didn't I think of that? Inspires confidence, doesn't it?
post #4709 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Quote:
Wow! Turn off Local Dimming. Why didn't I think of that? Inspires confidence, doesn't it?
I am flummoxed by the notion that anybody with an ISF certification could fail to appreciate what FALD does for the PQ of LCD displays.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #4710 of 13192 Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am flummoxed by the notion that anybody with an ISF certification could fail to appreciate what FALD does for the PQ of LCD displays.
I'm flummoxed by anyone thinking it's a good idea to get a calibration done by Geek Squad.
zAndy12, gwsat and MikeTV69 like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page