Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17146Likes

post #5101 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post
I went to a BBY yesterday and ran the moving dot on YouTube on both their 940D and Z9D. All of the magnolia employees saw it although my smearing was worse than what I saw on the 940D in the store. On the Z9D there was a faint trail but much much shorter than the 940D. I also ran the test on my father's Samsung 4K TV Set (whichever was the highest end non-curved 4K set with HDR that came out last year) and the result was also similar to the Z9D. I also spent 3 hours on the phone with Sony Support and they could not correct the issue and wanted to set up a replacement for me as well. In the end, I didn't want to have to deal with the time wasted/hassle of getting another 940D just to see the same thing.

Ultimately, I just bit the bullet and bought a Z9D which is scheduled for delivery in about a week and a half. To the people that either don't have it or don't see it, more power to you. The 940D looks incredible at times for me and the price point was great all things considering. While I think I'll be happy with the Z9D, I'm not happy with the price per performance. Sure I'm getting better HDR and theoretically less blooming/halos but I was fine with the 940D performance. I'm basically paying 2x the price just to eliminate smearing and now have to deal live with this purchase if for some reason DolbyVision wins.

If I had not moved, I would have waited an additional year for next year's sets but it is what it is. Watching 2.40:1 ratio movies on a 60" from 15 feet away was just a disappointing experience.

FYI I recognize these are total first world problems (maybe even 1% problems).

Anyone on this forum has first world problems - join the 99% club at this forum

Did you consider the vizio 75 as a stop gap? I am deciding between the 940d and vizio - same price now (well $400 but for the 99% that should not matter).

DV has slot of content and more coming. The demos of the vizio at magnolia look bad but all the reviews are incredible

Anyway just curious why the 940 over the vizio and now, why not vizio as a $3500 (yes ask magnolia to take 9% off) stop gap until
The 77"
OLED is 8k

I know what I really want - 77" OLED - but even if I can buy it does not mean I would enjoy spending as much on a tv as a year of college. Feels wrong. It's not an appreciating investment or a 911 targa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To any owners with a Samsung UHD player. Did your set automatically switch to HDR or did you have to put it into HDR manually?
post #5103 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvision View Post
To any owners with a Samsung UHD player. Did your set automatically switch to HDR or did you have to put it into HDR manually?
When I first got the Samsung, I was pretty sure it switched automatically, but now I have to do it manually. Not sure what changed (perhaps a firmware update on the player or the TV?). Kind of a pain, especially when trying to determine if something on Amazon or one of the other apps in in HDR or not.

If anyone does figure out what caused it to lose the ability to automatically switch, I'd love to hear about it.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
When I first got the Samsung, I was pretty sure it switched automatically, but now I have to do it manually. Not sure what changed (perhaps a firmware update on the player or the TV?). Kind of a pain, especially when trying to determine if something on Amazon or one of the other apps in in HDR or not.

If anyone does figure out what caused it to lose the ability to automatically switch, I'd love to hear about it.
Just hooked up the player yesterday. Apps and files I have on a USB stick switch automatically. Once I switched picture mode to HDR everything looked correct and I know the player was putting out HDR. Just one of those things I guess.
post #5105 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
Ultimately, I just bit the bullet and bought a Z9D which is scheduled for delivery in about a week and a half. To the people that either don't have it or don't see it, more power to you. The 940D looks incredible at times for me and the price point was great all things considering. While I think I'll be happy with the Z9D, I'm not happy with the price per performance. Sure I'm getting better HDR and theoretically less blooming/halos but I was fine with the 940D performance. I'm basically paying 2x the price just to eliminate smearing and now have to deal live with this purchase if for some reason DolbyVision wins.
There's no question that the 75X940D represents a better bang-for-the-buck option than the 75Z9D at the latter's current pricing.

But you shouldn't short-change yourself: You're not just reducing or eliminating the smearing issue that has caused you to replace your 940D, you're also getting a set with a better build quality and upgraded performance that represents the state of the art in LCD technology. Did you have to dig deeper in your wallet than you originally wanted? Yes, but you are also moving up from a great unit to a stellar unit.

If the new set doesn't measure up to your expectations you can always return it. But otherwise I wouldn't second-guess myself if I were you.

And, FWIW, I don't think DV will be a significant factor for years to come, if ever. If you wanted to wait for the HDR dust to settle you might never pull the trigger. And for all we know, Hybrid-Log Gamma or some other technology could turn out to be the future gold standard.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #5106 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
The smearing issue has now taken over the 940D thread over at AVForums. Lots of owners with the smearing issue. I'm going to complain to Sony again -- I've had it.
zAndy12 and brickyardz like this.
post #5107 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6790 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post
A week after I bought the samsung 65ks8000, I returned it and picked up this set today. I just felt if I'm going to upgrade I need to go for 75" unless I was getting an OLED. Also, I think I'm more sensitive to light bleed than any of the issues mentioned for this set, so FALD was the way to go. Unfortunately the delivery service wouldn't unbox it so now I'm waiting for someone to help me unbox this beast. Can't wait, crossing my fingers there's no issues that require an exchange.
Right on, good choice.......
post #5108 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The smearing issue has now taken over the 940D thread over at AVForums. Lots of owners with the smearing issue. I'm going to complain to Sony again -- I've had it.
Do you think that Sony is aware of this issue? There are a bunch of pissed off customers, me included! With the amount of money that everyone is spending on these sets,they need to come out with a way to fix this!

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2019/Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #5109 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sports

Hey all, new here. I've had my 75" 940D for about a month. In that time I've noticed blurred action scenes, birds etc. It's not all the time so I'm not ready to send it back yet. But what really bothers me is watching football games in "Live Football" mode. The green field seems to pulsate light and dark green like it can't make up it's mind. The same goes for long shots of the fans in the stadium. They just kind of pulsate. I still have it on the default settings. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Is Sony working on new firmware?

Thanks in advance, Mike, Issaquah, WA
post #5110 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post
Hey all, new here. I've had my 75" 940D for about a month. In that time I've noticed blurred action scenes, birds etc. It's not all the time so I'm not ready to send it back yet. But what really bothers me is watching football games in "Live Football" mode. The green field seems to pulsate light and dark green like it can't make up it's mind. The same goes for long shots of the fans in the stadium. They just kind of pulsate. I still have it on the default settings. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Is Sony working on new firmware?

Live Football mode by default turns on all kinds of stuff that no one should really want. Why not just watch football with the good settings you use for everything else?
gwsat likes this.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #5111 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I am not sure how anyone watches "football" mode or what the purpose is.... I get my panel to look great on all types of viewing from Sports to Movies.......when I turn on Football mode now it makes it look like a Cartoon with the colors ridiculously saturated...all I know is the PQ is so good on Sports that when they show a close up of a person's face it looks like I could walk up to the screen and put my finger in their ear!!!

Awesome TV for sure...I watch Football, Golf, Tennis, and Basketball and I never see any smearing issues ....even a white Golfball against the green grass looks excellent to me...just my 2 cents...
gwsat and djoberg like this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
post #5112 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by billygwh3 View Post
I recently purchased a Sony 940D and have been extremely pleased for the most part. The only issue I'm having is that any HDR material is washed out and really dim. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have NEVER experienced that, and I have watched at least 15 UHD/HDR Blu-rays AND some UHD material on Amazon Prime and YouTube. Are you sure your display is switching to the HDR mode (you can check it by clicking on the "Action Menu," then scroll down to Picture Adjustments and click that on. You should then see, on the right hand of your screen, what Mode you are in)? If it's not in HDR Mode you can then go down to Picture Mode and change it to HDR. Having said that, your display "should" automatically go into HDR Mode when viewing HDR material, so if it's not something's wrong.
gwsat likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 10-09-2016 at 09:25 PM.
post #5113 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
You can also opt for a 75" Vizio P (which is highly rated by users and professional reviewers, and is HDR 10 and DolbyVision enabled) or try the Sony 75x940c which is also highly rated by users and professional reviewers. First world problems ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Anyone on this forum has first world problems - join the 99% club at this forum

Did you consider the vizio 75 as a stop gap? I am deciding between the 940d and vizio - same price now (well $400 but for the 99% that should not matter).

DV has slot of content and more coming. The demos of the vizio at magnolia look bad but all the reviews are incredible

Anyway just curious why the 940 over the vizio and now, why not vizio as a $3500 (yes ask magnolia to take 9% off) stop gap until
The 77"
OLED is 8k

I know what I really want - 77" OLED - but even if I can buy it does not mean I would enjoy spending as much on a tv as a year of college. Feels wrong. It's not an appreciating investment or a 911 targa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole tablet thing somewhat turned me off on the set as my wife already complains how complicated our set up was. Also have young kids so could see that tablet breaking quickly. Finally, I know the P is a good set but as a self-admitted snob, I couldn't have the Vizio brand sully the rest of my equipment...

In the end, I've basically just pushed off my sonos purchases and eventually the martin logan floor or B&W floor standing speakers that I was going to buy (and upgrade from my Paradigm studio 5.1 setup).

As for the 77" Oled. Yes, the idea of spending over $10K for a TV is ridiculous. I agree that I would rather use that money to upgrade my next car to an M4 or an AMG C63 or something along those lines. As it stands right now, most of my TV consumption consists of Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (and I gotta admit Elmo is where I kept seeing the smearing!!!)
post #5114 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
Do you think that Sony is aware of this issue? There are a bunch of pissed off customers, me included! With the amount of money that everyone is spending on these sets,they need to come out with a way to fix this!
If this is as big a problem as it seems to be then, yes Sony is aware and they need a fix. It seems that only some sets have a serious issue; however, that "some" is probably in the 30% to 50% range and that's huge! If Sony doesn't do something for owners of defective sets then they are going to lose lots of customers -- I'm now looking at an E6. I would hate to go down in size but what's the alternative? I'm very disappointed with Sony -- Great T.V. with a serious defect.
zAndy12 and brickyardz like this.
post #5115 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If this is as big a problem as it seems to be then, yes Sony is aware and they need a fix. It seems that only some sets have a serious issue; however, that "some" is probably in the 30% to 50% range and that's huge! If Sony doesn't do something for owners of defective sets then they are going to lose lots of customers -- I'm now looking at an E6. I would hate to go down in size but what's the alternative? I'm very disappointed with Sony -- Great T.V. with a serious defect.
100% agreed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
brickyardz likes this.
post #5116 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvision View Post
My 940d will automatically switch to HDR mode once the movie loads in from the Samsung player. I had some issues where it would send the HDR signal, tv would switch and then it would send another signal and turn HDR off then back again. This was before a firmware update on the Samsung itself. Since then, every UHD movie once it loads sends the HDR signal and the 940d automatically goes into HDR mode.
djoberg likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #5117 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Don't use that mode. It is horrible and makes everything blown out. Me and my Wife are currently watching the Raiders game (not a fan, but that is the only game on) and we tried "Live Football" mode and it looked horrid. We went back to Cinema Pro with the settings Austin Jerry posted and it looks great. That mode is almost like "Vivid" mode and all it does is blows out colors and causes motion artifacts like you are seeing.

-Hawkmoon
post #5118 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
Keep in mind that most of us have never seen the problem and are very happy with our 940Ds. I'm sorry you are dissatisfied but my experience has been diametrically opposed to what you have reported.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #5119 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went to a BBY yesterday and ran the moving dot on YouTube on both their 940D and Z9D. All of the magnolia employees saw it although my smearing was worse than what I saw on the 940D in the store. On the Z9D there was a faint trail but much much shorter than the 940D. I also ran the test on my father's Samsung 4K TV Set (whichever was the highest end non-curved 4K set with HDR that came out last year) and the result was also similar to the Z9D. I also spent 3 hours on the phone with Sony Support and they could not correct the issue and wanted to set up a replacement for me as well. In the end, I didn't want to have to deal with the time wasted/hassle of getting another 940D just to see the same thing.

If I had not moved, I would have waited an additional year for next year's sets but it is what it is. Watching 2.40:1 ratio movies on a 60" from 15 feet away was just a disappointing experience.

FYI I recognize these are total first world problems (maybe even 1% problems).
I am still and owner of the 940d, but I also decided to get the ZD9 as well, but the 65" version. You will notice a difference between the quality of both sets. Not bashing the 940d, it is a great set and as I said, I still own it, just wanted weigh in on the how you will notice a difference in overall brightness level, color vibrancy and HDR performance. Even in non-HDR content, image is just brighter and colors are more refined etc. Both are great sets, but I would not be feeling bad about making the switch. I wanted the 75ZD9, but being that I just bought the 940d 5 months ago my Wife was not too keen on me getting the 75 with it being about 9k or so and she was fine with the 65", which is in my gaming room that I sit about 7' away.

It was an adjustment for me going form 75" 940d in the gaming room to 65", but am getting use to it. I end up using the 940d more since it is in our living room and that is where we watch the majority of standard cable/sports etc.

Anyways, you will enjoy your ZD9, so don't think about feeling bad about it. So far, the majority of ZD9 owners have had little to no issues, one person had one with bad banding...I had some slight banding on mine, but I used the lint free cloth rubbing/massaging and it pretty much disappeared. Outside of that, I have not read of any other issues with the ZD9.

-Hawkmoon
post #5120 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Keep in mind that most of us have never seen the problem and are very happy with our 940Ds. I'm sorry you are dissatisfied but my experience has been diametrically opposed to what you have reported.
I have not as well, but I need to do some more testing on my set to be sure. In defense of Brick however, it seems like a lot of owners are having issues. Now this can just be the fact that owners that have issues are more likely to say something versus those that don't have issues...but seems like a good percentage are having some issues, which is a bit alarming.

-Hawkmoon
post #5121 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
My 940d will automatically switch to HDR mode once the movie loads in from the Samsung player. I had some issues where it would send the HDR signal, tv would switch and then it would send another signal and turn HDR off then back again. This was before a firmware update on the Samsung itself. Since then, every UHD movie once it loads sends the HDR signal and the 940d automatically goes into HDR mode.
Setting HDMI Deep Color to off on the K8500 allowed the TV to auto switch to HDR.
post #5122 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
About 24h with this set. Using Jerry's settings (thanks Jerry). Ran some 4k videos off usb: spectacular! Watching Monday Night Football, no motion issues fortunately. I think I may not have gotten all the settings right since something just doesn't look right (maybe it's just content related?). I'll try UHD movie The Revenant later. Only issue which I think is known is there's dark border around the edges of the screen most notable with bright background. Does that get better after break in period? I thought it was only in the corners but it seems to border the entire screen.
post #5123 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Quote:
I recently purchased a Sony 940D and have been extremely pleased for the most part. The only issue I'm having is that any HDR material is washed out and really dim. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have NEVER experienced that, and I have watched at least 15 UHD/HDR Blu-rays AND some UHD material on Amazon Prime and YouTube. Are you sure your display is switching to the HDR mode (you can check it by clicking on the "Action Menu," then scroll down to Picture Adjustments and click that on. You should then see, on the right hand of your screen, what Mode you are in. If it's not in HDR Mode you can then go down to Picture Mode and change it to HDR. Having said that, your display "should" automatically go into HDR Mode when viewing HDR material, so if it's not something's wrong.
It is definitely in HDR mode. Now Im wondering if it's just me because I just got a chance to watch an HDR stream from Netflix on a Sony 930C and it looks basically the same as my 940D. I'm really confused as I expected to be wowed by HDR but now I have seen it on two different Sony sets and am extremely disappointed. I viewed both in a dark room. I've played with every setting I can think of. I also tried the Xbox One game Forza Horizon 3 on my Xbox One S in HDR mode and same result. I immediately want to turn it off as it is as I said really dull, dim/washed out. I had thought about exchanging the set but after seeing the 930C I dont know what to do.
post #5124 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Don't use that mode. It is horrible and makes everything blown out. Me and my Wife are currently watching the Raiders game (not a fan, but that is the only game on) and we tried "Live Football" mode and it looked horrid. We went back to Cinema Pro with the settings Austin Jerry posted and it looks great. That mode is almost like "Vivid" mode and all it does is blows out colors and causes motion artifacts like you are seeing.
Ditto!

I tried the "Live Football" mode and it was worse (by far) than the Vivid Mode you see in B&M showrooms. I either use Custom Mode with Jerry's settings for NFL viewing, or, if I want a little more "POP," I turn it to Cinema Home Mode.
brickyardz likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #5125 of 13209 Old 10-09-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is definitely in HDR mode. Now Im wondering if it's just me because I just got a chance to watch an HDR stream from Netflix on a Sony 930C and it looks basically the same as my 940D. I'm really confused as I expected to be wowed by HDR but now I have seen it on two different Sony sets and am extremely disappointed. I viewed both in a dark room. I've played with every setting I can think of. I also tried the Xbox One game Forza Horizon 3 on my Xbox One S in HDR mode and same result. I immediately want to turn it off as it is as I said really dull, dim/washed out. I had thought about exchanging the set but after seeing the 930C I dont know what to do.
I don't know what to say, for again, my experience has been the opposite. I have indeed been WOWED by most HDR material, especially UHD/HDR Blu-rays. Have you purchased a UHD player yet, and if so, have you watched a UHD/HDR Blu-ray? If not, perhaps, and I stress the word "perhaps," you have been extremely unlucky and have watched a couple of HDR streams that are SOFT and WASHED OUT. This "could" happen if the source material was made that intentionally (i.e. Director's intent). I highly doubt that that is the case, but I thought it may be a possibility.

BTW, all my viewing is in a dark room (with controlled lighting).

post #5126 of 13209 Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluffo View Post
I searched the thread and haven't found anything quite like what I'm seeing show up yet. Some people have mentioned that they are having issues with picture mode not changing automatically when HDR is detected. I was seeing this earlier tonight in one case.

I used the "Your Bonus Offer" app to get the four free 4k UHD movie from Sony. The movies play via the "ULTRA 4K Movies and TV" app. Having picked The Shallows as one of my movies I decided to watch it tonight. It's supposed to be 4K UHD HDR. I noticed that while watching it the picture mode remained in Custom and never went to HDR. I had to scroll all the way to the bottom of the picture mode menu to get the HDR Video mode. The picture didn't really look much different than the Custom mode. The same thing happens with Fury. For both movies I get the 4K UHD + HDR status displayed when I pause the movie so it appears to be streaming just fine but the TV won't switch picture modes automatically.

Now when I watch Marco Polo on Netflix the TV DOES automatically goes into HDR Video so I'm wondering if there's just an issue with the ULTRA 4K app not passing the HDR signal. Anyone else get their free movies and see that this app doesn't seem to really be HDR? Would be kind of funny since the ULTRA 4K app is a Sony app I think.

Good morning, where is the "your bonus offer"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found it, sorry to bother

Sony FALD ISF Calibrated75X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Bose Cinemate 1 SR
Samsung PN59D8000, Samsung BD-F7500
HR24-500 with AM21n OTA, HR54-200 with AM21n OTA, 2- C61K's, DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 Reverse LNB, Winegard HD Stacker

Last edited by Palmgrower; 10-10-2016 at 08:11 AM.
post #5127 of 13209 Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want to thank everyone for his/her advice thus far - I made an account primarily for this purpose. I've browsed this forum for speaker/receiver/TV recommendations for some time now. As a novice to the "scene," I have relied on more seasoned opinions to supplement my home theater ideals and subsequently inform my decisions. I've seen individuals praise the 940D for its strengths; that even when converting from earlier premier makes/models this TV simply performs well. But I've also seen an almost hivemind focus on specific flaws in so many posts that, for an outsider relying on more veteran opinions, making a decision feels extremely conflicted.

I previously owned a 55" Samsung that did right by me, but I was looking for a size upgrade to fill a larger living room in a new location. I also wanted to take advantage of the newest tech if I could. Like many others, I don't often have excess expendable cash, so maximizing quality and value for the rare splurge required research. Throughout this thread and others, many of you helped me find that in the 940D.

I just want to posit for anyone excited about cutting edge tech (perhaps looking to get their feet wet) but not necessarily familiar with the intricacies of the industry: this TV is fantastic for its size and price.

To get specific for the regulars: I decided to run run AJ's 2.4 gamma settings for nighttime viewing in a near black environment. I finished streaming the Netflix series "Stranger Things" earlier and, while not an HDR show (correct me if I'm mistaken), there are scenes where this TV immerses you so completely you feel like you're there and not watching from a camera. As in I couldn't discern my unlit white wall from the bezel of the screen from the black parts of the scene. A couple times I did noticed judder along tree bark during pans of forests, though at this time I attribute that more to the stream than to the TV. Viewing "Deadpool" and "Mad Max" on 4k HDR Blu-Ray via X1S shared similarly entrancing visuals for me. Hopefully more will follow.

Again, I want to thank those that have posted advice/recommendations and encourage those conducting due diligence to weigh their specific uses/sensitivities against the potential flaws of this display as highlighted by other owners when making a decision.
post #5128 of 13209 Old 10-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6790 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:

As for the 77" Oled. Yes, the idea of spending over $10K for a TV is ridiculous.
I am hoping these take some big price drops myself.......
post #5129 of 13209 Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone heard anymore about a Firmware Update that would boost the nits to 1,000 or more?

While I'm posting, I just want to say that after owning this display for 3 months now I'm more impressed than ever (in spite of some issues with light-bleeding, though even there I've been able to dial in settings to greatly reduce this problem). I don't know if I'm swallowing the proverbial "placebo pill," but the PQ seems to be getting BETTER with each passing day. I still watch a lot of satellite broadcasts and either Dish Network has increased their bandwidth (resulting in better resolution and detail), or the display itself is producing a better picture while it "breaks in."

Again, let me give a shout out to Jerry for his excellent settings. I watch quite a few Series on ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX (and FOX News) and the PQ is stellar with a "natural-look" that rivals that of my KURO Elite plasma, spot-on flesh tones, and bold/vibrant colors. I am STILL one "Happy Camper!"

PS Of course, for those of you who are plagued by distracting "smearing" or "trails," I do feel for you and wish you were having the same experience that I'm having.

post #5130 of 13209 Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just checked 3d with my new XPAND glasses and its really bad. Ghosting everywhere and I got headache right away.
I'm wandering if changing to regular (sony original) glasses will improve that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page