Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17146Likes

post #5911 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjayd View Post
The offer is expired...
I just called Sony pictures and they sent me a new code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
I use a Motorola/Arris SB6141 for the cable modem and an Asus RT-AC3200 for the router.

I would not recommend getting a combo as that does not give you flexibility on WiFi and etc. as the standards change.

U correct. But isnt combos like tp-link archer cr 700 not good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5913 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 11:13 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11409 Post(s)
Liked: 6753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
I use a Motorola/Arris SB6141 for the cable modem and an Asus RT-AC3200 for the router.

I would not recommend getting a combo as that does not give you flexibility on WiFi and etc. as the standards change.
+1. I have the Arris/Asus combination as well. Previously, I had the top-of-the-line Linksys and had nothing but problems. the Asus has been rock solid.
400MHz MAN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5914 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 11:15 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrvigurik View Post
U correct. But isnt combos like tp-link archer cr 700 not good enough?

Maybe, but you asked for recommendations. I am not in favor of combos. When it comes to trouble-shooting, having separate devices makes it much simpler.
post #5915 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
I just called Sony pictures and they sent me a new code.
Is everyone eligible to that code? I got the TV on bbuy last sunday...
post #5916 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
+1. I have the Arris/Asus combination as well. Previously, I had the top-of-the-line Linksys and had nothing but problems. the Asus has been rock solid.
Netgear Nighthawk (plus arris/motorola) is another great combo. Good deals on it for BF, you can go 3 or 6 antenas depending on how much you want to spend...
post #5917 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
My theory is that reboots happen when the display, or Android, receives data it can't process correctly. This could happen with a burst of digital static on a satellite or cable transmission, a glitch in a HDMI handshake, a network anomaly, etc. IOW, if Android can't figure it out, it pukes, forcing a reboot to restore order. It happens so quickly, and so occasionally, that I have never considered it a serious issue.

The flash of pixelated colors offers a clue that may support my theory.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be OK with a reboot now and again for firmware updates and such, but to have the screen flash colors, etc. Anyway, Sony is sending a brand new set.

Oh and I have some additional comments on "smearing"...I did the dot test and saw significant smearing. The funny part is I can't see any smearing watching content...Hockey black puck on white ice...no smearing.
hifi123 likes this.

Last edited by W Statman; 11-23-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #5918 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post
Well my baby is finally dying, after 2 years in this world. My electronic baby, my XBR65X900A, that is. Dark horizontal lines. Barely noticeable on most material but still there. So I guess that's what I got the extended warranty for. Best Buy was good, an gave me a credit for the closest Sony set out there, the 65XBR930D.
I decided to pay the difference and go for the XBR75X940D instead. I have to wait until December 9th for delivery, so I'm reading up on the forums, which might be a bad thing. I'm a videophile and notice when something in the picture isn't right. They didn't have a set on display anywhere in my city, so I'm buying based on reviews. The problem is, none of the reviews mentioned this "smearing effect". If I'm picky when it comes to my picture quality, is it a deal-breaker? My other option is to go with a 65" OLED but being a previous projector owner before the 900A, I know size makes a difference.

Bottom line is just how bad is this "smearing"? Has issue been resolved (I read most of this thread, but there's alot to read), and is it a deal breaker for videophiles?

Potential :smearing aside, coming from the 900A, do you think I will appreciate the image improvements, other than size?
My sympathies on the demise of the 900A. I still have my 65X900A--it has moved to the bedroom. While I sincerely believe the 900A was (and for me still is) a fantastic display, the 940D is even better. I have opined a number of times in this thread that I never notice a smearing issue while watching normal content, and even the dark corners issue is rarely noticeable when viewing normal content. Android may frustrate you at times, but it is not a major issue. And, unfortunately, 3D is nowhere near as good on the 940D, if 3D is a big thing for you.

So, take it from someone intimately familiar with your situation--you will like the 940D.
I appreciate your quick and detailed reply Jerry!
I do have quite a collection of 3D blurays (well over 200 now) so you think I should go with a different set to still enjoy 3D? I use my PC with Power DVD 16 which allows you to adjust the depth of the 3D so that you can compensate for crosstalk. Is crosstalk the problem, or lack of clarity and depth? I'm just wondering if I made a mistake now. I was hoping I could get a decent 3D image out of the set. Do you think I will be that disappointed? I could always return it but it's just alot of hassle. My only other choice would be the LG OLED E6, but we know the Sony upscaler is far superior. Arrrrgg! I'm torn as to what I should do
post #5919 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Except for the remote and the judder during panning scenes, the rest of the TV looks first rate two days in. While the smearing is annoying , you won't notice in most viewing. Funny thing is it doesn't seem the puck in hockey has that trailing effect. yet a similar black dot does in those youtube tests. VICE NEWS on HBO uses a lot of graphics that is guaranteed to make your TV exhibit the smearing problem.

So the free offer thing from SONY PICTURES. How does one apply for it??? I never got a prompt. Do we just go to the SONY Pictures website? I don't see any iinks there. For those woh sent email, who did you send it to so they can override the expiry
post #5920 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Caprio View Post
Is everyone eligible to that code? I got the TV on bbuy last sunday...
I am not sure. I bought my in September. You can always give them a call and see.

post #5921 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
Question to owners : does the Sony XBR75-X940D have an option for applying some of that HDR and WCG for enhancing standard HD 1920x1080 material from blu ray and HD broadcast ? Do you find yourself using it most or all of the time ? Do you find it definitely improves the picture ? Any side effect such as ruddy skin complexion or poor/wrong skin tones or any other ?
And, if there is such option available, is it by means of an easy to access separate control with on/off choice ?
Thanks...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like an arrogant fool for having to quote my own writing, BUT, any owners here that could answer my question ?
post #5922 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I do have quite a collection of 3D blurays (well over 200 now) so you think I should go with a different set to still enjoy 3D? I use my PC with Power DVD 16 which allows you to adjust the depth of the 3D so that you can compensate for crosstalk. Is crosstalk the problem, or lack of clarity and depth? I'm just wondering if I made a mistake now. I was hoping I could get a decent 3D image out of the set. Do you think I will be that disappointed? I could always return it but it's just alot of hassle. My only other choice would be the LG OLED E6, but we know the Sony upscaler is far superior. Arrrrgg! I'm torn as to what I should do
To be fair, my evaluation of 3D on the 940D was not very thorough. I purchased the Sony 3D glasses and watched a few minutes of several titles. I noticed an immediate difference between the Active 3D on the 940D and the Passive 3D on the 900A. In my opinion, active will never equal passive.

I saw some 3D anomalies, don't recall exactly what. Top it off with the fact that the Sony glasses don't fit over my prescription glasses very well, I decided it really wasn't worth it.

My recommendation would be that you view some 3D content in the store before you make your decision. Don't base your decision on my limited evaluation.
post #5923 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I have over 150+ 3D Blu-Rays and the TV is not bad for viewing 3D content, it has minor cross-talk on some of the 3D movies just like my VT50, but you should be good to go. With the extra size it also helps with the 3D. I am coming from a Panasonic VT50 65.

Don't worry about it, give it a try, just like the "smearing effect" allot of people view it in one youtube video and it does not show up on any regular content (HDR,UHD, 3D etc).
Marc D Carra likes this.
post #5924 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Here is one of my favorite reviews by a highly-respected reviewer:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U5veNSOaS-a3oQ
Thank you!
I am very interested to see how the colors are on the Sony with HDR content (4k Bluray) vs. The Vizio P-75 (Which I currently own)
and black levels as well
post #5925 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks again Jerry , and also for the extra 3D insight from Dominica!
I wish I could have seen one instore, but none to be found anywhere in the city. I figure since all the paperwork, credit for my old set, and delivery is all set to go, I might as well wait and view the set in my home, on December 9th. If Im not happy I will know within a couple of weeks, and have Best Buy pick it up in time to go shopping for a suitable replacement on Boxing Day. There are no LG 65" E6's in stock locally anyway, which would have been my second choice.
So I guess I will give'er a go and see what I think.
Thanks again, guys for your much appreciated feedback!!!
post #5926 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like an arrogant fool for having to quote my own writing, BUT, any owners here that could answer my question ?

Question to owners : does the Sony XBR75-X940D have an option for applying some of that HDR and WCG for enhancing standard HD 1920x1080 material from blu ray and HD broadcast ? Do you find yourself using it most or all of the time ? Do you find it definitely improves the picture ? Any side effect such as ruddy skin complexion or poor/wrong skin tones or any other ?
And, if there is such option available, is it by means of an easy to access separate control with on/off choice ?
Thanks...

From what I can see, this set does not offer that feature. I know Samsung has this feature to apply a pseudo-HDR effect, but Sony does not have it.

On the 940, you can manually select HDR picture mode while viewing non-HDR content, but it looks bad: orange skin, etc.
MCaugusto likes this.
post #5927 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraf18 View Post
I would agree and have 2 ZT60s & VT25 and the blacks on the 940d are better IMO. Never seen the smearing and don't care about you tube videos but normal content. Darker corners are there.
Normal viewing is better than my ZTs, 4K looks fan freaking-tastic, HDR is fine also(not really a bright display guy coming from plasmas so hard to be excited about that), however 3d is better on the plasmas. Motion is fine. One thing I've really notice between the 940 and ZTs is certain black scenes are way better on the 940 than the ZTs and its very noticable almost disappointed about with the ZTs and what i had been missing. Love the bump in screen size from 65 to 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I mirror your thoughts: after experiencing the incredible black levels on this set, it is kind of disappointing that I have been missing out on this for so long. Can never go back to a regular picture now...
post #5928 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
First time chiming in here. We purchased our XBR75-940D a couple weeks ago so had some time viewing movies. So far, it's an incredible display. We're not seeing any smearing of any kind on the content we have watched. It's been a pleasure so far. As for the internet, we have not had issues either and we have over 40 devices hardwired to our network plus a lot of wireless. The modem is Netgear CM600 and the router is Netgear Nighthawk R8500 (for Access Point one: the other end of the house uses another router for a 2nd access point to clear any wireless dead spots). This was coming from a 65" Panasonic plasma and the black levels of the 940D surpass it by a long shot. Colors are just incredible!!!

Thanks AustinJerry for all your insight (and all others that have shared). I am using your settings until I have some time to calibrate (use an X-Rite i1Display Pro calibration system)

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #5929 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Thanks AustinJerry for all your insight (and all others that have shared). I am using your settings until I have some time to calibrate (use an X-Rite i1Display Pro calibration system)
Thanks for the kind words. There is a calibration thread for this set. We would enjoy hearing about your calibration results.
post #5930 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. There is a calibration thread for this set. We would enjoy hearing about your calibration results.
Thanks! I'll chime into the calibration thread once I get it done.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #5931 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ordered a 940 with the price drop this week. Was pumped until I wateched my ZT60 plasma tonight and am wondering how it can be possibly be better? Hopefully the other plasma junkies positive feedback is what I end up feeling.

For others that just purchased, I read the whole thread at one point but it is really good to go back halfway and read again with different context. There was no talk of smearing until the more recent pages.

I have to say, I am really looking forward to the Grand Tour in 4K!
post #5932 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
I am not sure. I bought my in September. You can always give them a call and see.
I am on the Sony community forum and there is a thread going on about this issue. This is what Sony is replying to everyone there:

"Thank you for your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but the promotion period was between September 25 to November 5 (for the 850D, 930D, and 940D series) and September 25 to November 19 (for the Z9D series).

Unfortunately as per the terms and conditions of the promotion, purchases made outside the promo period are ineligible.

We understand that the seller may have informed you otherwise and in this case we recommend contacting them regarding this confusion. You may also discuss with them directly should you wish to return the TV as it does not meet one of the conditions that you were told during the purchase.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Regards,"

But if you purchased your TV between these dates you can email Sony at
[email protected] and send them your proof of purchase they will email you back with the redemption code for the 4 free movies. There are only 20 movies to choose from but free is free. I did this and they sent it to me no questions asked as long as you send the proof of purchase between those dates.
Good luck all...
post #5933 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Can you provide a link please? I did a search but couldn't find any calibration thread specific to this TV.
post #5934 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesreed View Post
I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks.

So, results?
post #5935 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Network Death - Still chasing it

It has been a little over 48 hours and tonight during an Xbox game - BOOM, whole house gets knocked offline.
Wired, wireless, we lose every device. You can't even ping the router.
I started Wireshark to do a packet capture but there was nothing to capture once network was locked up.
The second I pull the LAN cable from the TV, everything is back again.

Not sure what to try other than... just plug it in only when I want to check for a firmware update.
post #5936 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
It has been a little over 48 hours and tonight during an Xbox game - BOOM, whole house gets knocked offline.
Wired, wireless, we lose every device. You can't even ping the router.
I started Wireshark to do a packet capture but there was nothing to capture once network was locked up.
The second I pull the LAN cable from the TV, everything is back again.

Not sure what to try other than... just plug it in only when I want to check for a firmware update.
Just use wifi and not worry about it.
post #5937 of 13204 Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx77 View Post
Thank you!
I am very interested to see how the colors are on the Sony with HDR content (4k Bluray) vs. The Vizio P-75 (Which I currently own)
and black levels as well
The colors are definitely a step up from 1080P source material. They are richer and more vibrant. I can't speak to the difference between the Sony and the Vizio. Regarding black levels, I've heard good things about the blacks on the Vizio, so maybe there won't be a difference there.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #5938 of 13204 Old 11-24-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but you asked for recommendations. I am not in favor of combos. When it comes to trouble-shooting, having separate devices makes it much simpler.

Thanks man. Asus kind of expensive...((
Modem i do know arris will work the best.
How about nighthawk r7000? It has 40% off now. I only connect tv ps4 and 2 phones

post #5939 of 13204 Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post
Can you provide a link please? I did a search but couldn't find any calibration thread specific to this TV.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...iscussion.html
post #5940 of 13204 Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Check ur pm plz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement