Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17171Likes

post #6211 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12138 Post(s)
Liked: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
There is a new "App", announcing the upcoming AndroidTV update.

Give the following URL for info, says it will be rolled out over December.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75744
Steve, I don't see the 940D in the list of applicable products. Have I gone blind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Steve, I don't see the 940D in the list of applicable products. Have I gone blind?
No, it isn't listed there yet. But go to the featured apps section on your TV, and you should see a "message" app that gives you a URL that takes you to that page.

The update is coming soon.
markrubin and AustinJerry like this.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #6213 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 03:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
No, it isn't listed there yet. But go to the featured apps section on your TV, and you should see a "message" app that gives you a URL that takes you to that page.

The update is coming soon.
OK, thanks. Makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6214 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sony called me today and is going to ship a replacement TV next week to me based on those horizontal lines I see in HDR mode, the only downside is that since it's been over 90 days it will be a refurbished tv not a new one
post #6215 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
Sony called me today and is going to ship a replacement TV next week to me based on those horizontal lines I see in HDR mode, the only downside is that since it's been over 90 days it will be a refurbished tv not a new one
FWIW, I have never had a problem with a refurbished product. The good thing about them versus a new one from the factory is that the "defect" is already known, plus they go over everything else meticulously. Add to that the fact that you normally get a full warranty with it, so in many respects "it's just like new."

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6216 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoroz View Post
Actually with Auto Display On while watching CNN (using CNN bar as a reference) the screen automatically switches to Normal despite the fact that CNN is in 1080. It is only when Auto Display is off and display area is set to Full Pixel the screen achieves the FULL (1:1) size. The biggest trimming is on both sides and less at the top and the bottom but still quite noticeable.
My screen now is set to auto display off and Full Pixel.
What about the Wide Mode and Auto Wide settings? If I set Wide Mode to Normal and Auto Wide to Off, which seems intuitive, I get a 4 x 3 aspect even when viewing 16 x 9 programming. If I either set Wide Mode to Full with Auto Wide to Off or set Auto Wide to On (which switches Wide Mode to Full), I don't get the 4 x 3 aspect when viewing 16 x 9 programming.

Also, is there any way to back out of the Home menu besides selecting the input? I can hit Back all the way until I get to the level where I started in the Home menu, but then it doesn't return to the programming I was watching.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #6217 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Can you try playing these same shows with the built in TV apps and compare them vs the roku ultimate? If this solves my problem I might have to pick one of those up....thanks
I tried the internal apps and all of them work great in HDR, show no signs of banding. They look almost identical to my Roku, the Roku looks a tad sharper, but almost no difference. This was over wireless too, I connected it wired and there was no difference. Make sure you have good bandwidth.

Spoiler!
post #6218 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
siciliano611

I noticed these horizontal lines too a month ago, but never noticed them before that! I am experiencing the same behavior on the built in Netflix App and Amazon Video. I only see these lines when HDR is enabled.

Here is a snapshot from Mozart In the Jungle on Amazon Video in HDR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0916.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	934.4 KB
ID:	1819177  
post #6219 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graff Vynda-K View Post
So wait, you're saying there's no way to do HDR gaming on this Sony TV if you have a Sony PS4 Pro? Wow. If this was any company other than Sony I wouldn't believe you.
Yup, works perfectly on my Samsung in games room, but on the new Sony ... nope. Correct settings on TV, correct settings on PS4 Pro. The PS Pro has had numerous issues with some TVs, but I've not heard of other Sony owners having this issue. It works if I turn off HDMI enhanced mode on the TV, but what's the point if no HDR? Probably going to switch it back to the Samsung for now ... When I have time to kill I'll call Sony.
post #6220 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
Are all the settings on the PS4 Pro set to Auto? Not going through AVR? Make sure deep color is off. You are correct Sony should support Sony lol.... I also have zero issues with PS4 Pro on any of my Samsung TV.

Stock PS4 cable should work, but others could be finicky.
Yup, works perfectly on my Samsung in games room, but on the new Sony ... nope. Correct settings on TV, correct settings on PS4 Pro. The PS Pro has had numerous issues with some TVs, but I've not heard of other Sony owners having this issue. It works if I turn off HDMI enhanced mode on the TV, but what's the point if no HDR? Probably going to switch it back to the Samsung for now ... When I have time to kill I'll call Sony.
post #6221 of 13253 Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcrae View Post
Playstation 4 Pro blues. I've been using my new Playstation 4 in one part of my house, with my Samsung JS9500 with HDR and all the bells and whistles working just great. I just purchased a Sony XBR75X940D for my living room, and in a stunning disappointment when I moved my Sony PS 4 Pro and plugged it into the Sony it will not send any signal IF the HDMI input on the TV is set to enhanced mode, which you NEED to do in order to get HDR obviously. This is crazy, if there is one TV I would expect to work with PS 4 Pro it's a new Sony TV. Has anyone else had this issue or have a way to solve this? I've tried other HDMI inputs too. And Yes I have the right HDR settings turned on on the PS4 Pro. :-(
I would set that tv port back to enhanced and then use safe mode on the PS4 Pro to sync video settings.

Hold power button until it beeps twice. PS4 will launch a low res safe mode screen.
From there you can toggle HDCP and set things correctly.
devilbones likes this.
post #6222 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone View Post
siciliano611

I noticed these horizontal lines too a month ago, but never noticed them before that! I am experiencing the same behavior on the built in Netflix App and Amazon Video. I only see these lines when HDR is enabled.

Yeah I never noticed the lines either until recently...I bought the tv in July...wonder what's going on with these tvs
post #6223 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I had a strange issue with HDR the other day. I was playing my PS4 Pro, a video game that normally auto switches to HDR. This time the screen became really washed out and there was a vertical green long along the entire right edge of the screen. Changing inputs did not make it go away, neither did turning off the power on the TV. I had to unplug the PS4. I did an actual restart on the TV and it resolved the auto switching to HDR. I am going to keep an eye on this.

post #6224 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Yeah I never noticed the lines either until recently...I bought the tv in July...wonder what's going on with these tvs

Or if it's something to do with Netflix/Amazon. Which is why, along with black levels, I've been asking for someone with a 4k disc player to chime in.
post #6225 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Or if it's something to do with Netflix/Amazon. Which is why, along with black levels, I've been asking for someone with a 4k disc player to chime in.
Good point, BUT I bought a Roku Ultra last nite to test the same clips from Amazon/Netflix that I posted pictures of on here....same result....I have an xbox one s so I'll try the couple of 4k blurays I have (from what I remember they have NONE of these issues)
post #6226 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Good point, BUT I bought a Roku Ultra last nite to test the same clips from Amazon/Netflix that I posted pictures of on here....same result....I have an xbox one s so I'll try the couple of 4k blurays I have (from what I remember they have NONE of these issues)
Sorry if you have already answered this question, but what sustained network speeds is your display receiving? I was reading this month's issue of Sound&Vision and for the first time saw the official Netflix recommendation of 25Mbs to sustain a UHD/HDR stream. Netflix even has their own tool, hosted on Netflix servers, to check the network speed: http://Fast.com.
post #6227 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry if you have already answered this question, but what sustained network speeds is your display receiving? I was reading this month's issue of Sound&Vision and for the first time saw the official Netflix recommendation of 25Mbs to sustain a UHD/HDR stream. Netflix even has their own tool, hosted on Netflix servers, to check the network speed: http://Fast.com.
66mbps down/5 up
post #6228 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
66mbps down/5 up
Thanks. That would seem to remove the network as a potential cause of the banding issue.
post #6229 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
66mbps down/5 up
That's EXACTLY what I'm getting with my system being hard-wired. I have never had an issue (banding or otherwise) with such a respectable speed.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6230 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an issue with my new 940D, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed in these forums before:

Moving images leave brief 'shadows' or trails behind. For example. if you have a black dot move across a white background, you see a trail of faded black dots where it used to be (maybe 3 to 5 frames?). Each frame back it gets more dim. Another example is when subtitles are turned on, you can see the existing subtitle box for a quarter/half second when the new subtitle line appears. It's very distracting, especially when there is significant contracts (e.g. black item moving quickly across a light background).

It's like when you enabled mouse cursor trails back in Windows 98.

It seems to happen on pretty much any source (cable box, internal apps, OTA, etc.). I tried a few image modes and it still occurs. I tried motion settings (smooth, off, etc) to no avail. Any ideas? Is this a potential defect, or a setting issue? It doesn't appear when I pause the video, only when it is in motion.

Any help is much appreciated!
post #6231 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
A search did not yield results but hopefully somebody is using a Hamony hub-based product with this display.

I have an Elite with the hub working and the harmony app on the TV displays my devices and activities.

However the Sony "action menu" does not show my activities and devices like it should. On most recent Sony and harmony software.

Anyone have this working?
Thanks,
BJBBJB
post #6232 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Well I guess I will hold on to my current television....

After reading all the posts on this forum and the SONY 930D Forum and the SONY Z Forum and the LG OLED B6/C6 Forums and all the past and current problems with these sets I guess I will hold on to my 65 inch 4K SONY 850A from 2013 that has no problems I can see. Still a beautiful 4K TV with no banding,no horizontal lines all of a sudden appearing,no smearing (put my TV thru those YOU TUBE dot crawl and text smearing tests and my set is perfect),no ghosting,no image retention,no uniformity issues,no dead pixels,no light bleeding on letterbox and not to mention no bent frame as many had with their 930D sets and reading about televisions shutting off and rebooting and remotes becoming unresponsive...on my 850A blacks are good enough for me for an LCD set from 2013,Sony's Trilumuniois Display makes the colors pop on my set, and 3D is good too. It's just too much to buy a new TV of these sizes and prices and hope and pray when you get home that all is well with the set and the panel,and even if all is well at first...something may develop real soon that many Forum members seem to be expieriening all of a sudden and not ever before. You would expect to buy a TV at this price range and come home and it should work beautifully.
I thought the Z series of SONY's line may be trouble free but not from the recent posts over the last few weeks on that Forum.
I will await 2017.

Last edited by aflorida; 12-09-2016 at 05:27 PM.
post #6233 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
I have an issue with my new 940D, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed in these forums before:

Moving images leave brief 'shadows' or trails behind. For example. if you have a black dot move across a white background, you see a trail of faded black dots where it used to be (maybe 3 to 5 frames?). Each frame back it gets more dim. Another example is when subtitles are turned on, you can see the existing subtitle box for a quarter/half second when the new subtitle line appears. It's very distracting, especially when there is significant contracts (e.g. black item moving quickly across a light background).

It's like when you enabled mouse cursor trails back in Windows 98.

It seems to happen on pretty much any source (cable box, internal apps, OTA, etc.). I tried a few image modes and it still occurs. I tried motion settings (smooth, off, etc) to no avail. Any ideas? Is this a potential defect, or a setting issue? It doesn't appear when I pause the video, only when it is in motion.

Any help is much appreciated!
This has been covered quite a bit before. It is called smearing and you can search for this to find the pages of comments on this issue. To summarize, some get it, some don't; some see it with the black dot test (youtube), some don't; some see it with the test, but do not have an issue with watching content; some sat it is a problem with the display and it must be replaced, some don't. So that about sums it up.
djoberg and paligap like this.
post #6234 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone View Post
siciliano611

You guys are chasing red herrings. It's is the recording of Mozart in the jungle HDR. I have seen horizontal lines on my KS9000 , Sony 940D, and 3 other TV's on that program. Yet I see no lines on many other content sources.

Do NOT return your TV's because of this! I also see this using my Roku. It is the source and not the TV, happens a lot actually from streamed sources.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Burningcoals; 12-09-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #6235 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Personally I would cancel this replacement, your new one will have lines to, It's the content source from Amazon NOT your TV.

I made another post on this exact issue after you guys brought it up, the lines appear on my friends 940D, my KS9000, HU8550, and other HDR TV's I have tried.

You should stream Grand Tour like I mentioned, that should show no lines and look great! Its a very high quality source to which to make sure your TV is working as expected.

The program Mozart in the jungle has issues with some banding.

Spoiler!
post #6236 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Personally I would cancel this replacement, your new one will have lines to, It's the content source from Amazon NOT your TV.

I made another post on this exact issue after you guys brought it up, the lines appear on my friends 940D, my KS9000, HU8550, and other HDR TV's I have tried.

You should stream Grand Tour like I mentioned, that should show no lines and look great! Its a very high quality source to which to make sure your TV is working as expected.

The program Mozart in the jungle has issues with some banding.
All Netflix HDR does that **** too I'm pretty sure it's my tv
post #6237 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All Netflix HDR does that **** too I'm pretty sure it's my tv
Most of Netflix HDR is horrible too. Streamed content is still compressed. I recommend Black Mirror from Netflix and Grand Tour from Amazon in HDR if you really want to test your TV, those should show no banding.

You do risk the possibility of getting a TV that has even more issues, dead or stuck pixels, etc. Your choice.

Spoiler!
post #6238 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Most of Netflix HDR is horrible too. Streamed content is still compressed. I recommend Black Mirror from Netflix and Grand Tour from Amazon in HDR if you really want to test your TV, those should show no banding.

You do risk the possibility of getting a TV that has even more issues, dead or stuck pixels, etc. Your choice.
The two programs I used among others were Goliath on amazon and Daredevil on Netflix...I'll try the two you stated, can you look at the two shows I'm talking about and post pics of the same horizontal banding?
post #6239 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is the smearing first-hand:

It's actually worse in person, due to the contrast that the camera does not pick up.

Is this worse than what is 'accepted'? I think this is unacceptable and may even consider returning the TV.
I tried a few motion settings per a PM (thanks dominicia!) and a few forum post recommendations with no luck.
e.g.:
Picture -> Advance Settings -> Motion - MotionFlow (True Cinema)
& Motion - Film mode (High)

Last edited by Accidental; 12-09-2016 at 03:42 PM.
post #6240 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:44 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
You guys are chasing red herrings. It's is the recording of Mozart in the jungle HDR. I have seen horizontal lines on my KS9000 , Sony 940D, and 3 other TV's on that program. Yet I see no lines on many other content sources.

Do NOT return your TV's because of this! I also see this using my Roku. It is the source and not the TV, happens a lot actually from streamed sources.
I don't think it is as simple as you claim. I watched the same content and saw no banding. This would lead me to believe that the banding is NOT in the source. Bottom line is that streaming is subject to all sorts of variables, including ISP bandwidth, ISP signal quality (independent of bandwidth), and potentially even the loading on the servers where the stream is originating. Even the local network in your home my have interference of some sort.

Reports of banding will be more credible when we hear from people who have UHD/HDR players with disks. That will be the true test, IMO. So far, I don't think we have heard any such reports.

If they were to make a movie out of this thread, it would have a lot of chickens running around with their heads cut off.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page