Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17171Likes

post #6241 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 452 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12109 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
Here is the smearing first-hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0JrD4FQvA

It's actually worse in person, due to the contrast that the camera does not pick up.

Is this worse than what is 'accepted'? I think this is unacceptable and may even consider returning the TV.
I tried a few motion settings per a PM (thanks dominicia!) and a few forum post recommendations with no luck.
e.g.:
Picture -> Advance Settings -> Motion - MotionFlow (True Cinema)
& Motion - Film mode (High)
Try Custom, with Smoothness=4 and Clearness=Min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Quote:
Here is the smearing first-hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0JrD4FQvA

It's actually worse in person, due to the contrast that the camera does not pick up.

Is this worse than what is 'accepted'? I think this is unacceptable and may even consider returning the TV.
I tried a few motion settings per a PM (thanks dominicia!) and a few forum post recommendations with no luck.
e.g.:
Picture -> Advance Settings -> Motion - MotionFlow (True Cinema)
& Motion - Film mode (High)
Try Custom, with Smoothness=4 and Clearness=Min.
No luck. Still the same smearing issue.
post #6243 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 03:58 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Must be in the source then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6244 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
What is the link to that YouTube test? I want to try it on another display.
post #6245 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Must be in the source then.

I get the same smearing when using a pc hooked up with hdmi through the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6246 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
I don't think it is as simple as you claim. I watched the same content and saw no banding. This would lead me to believe that the banding is NOT in the source. Bottom line is that streaming is subject to all sorts of variables, including ISP bandwidth, ISP signal quality (independent of bandwidth), and potentially even the loading on the servers where the stream is originating. Even the local network in your home my have interference of some sort.

Reports of banding will be more credible when we hear from people who have UHD/HDR players with disks. That will be the true test, IMO. So far, I don't think we have heard any such reports.

If they were to make a movie out of this thread, it would have a lot of chickens running around with their heads cut off.
I watched the same content and saw no banding either.. BUT.. I decided there might be more to this so I took a much closer look at the first episode UHD HDR Mozart in the jungle. And its not on every frame, but after pixel peeping I was able to see both horizontal and vertical banding in some of the frames, it looks good. I then tested 4 HDR TV's internal apps and Roku Ultimate and was able to reproduce it on every TV. My internet speed is fast 150mb/s.

So Mozart in the jungle indeed has some banding, period, its a fact. I can't however get ANY banding on my UHD player, and I have a big UHD collection, the Sony, and Samsung TV's exhibit zero banding when doing UHD play back.

In addition there are other HDR streams that are perfect like Grand Tour, etc. This has led me to the conclusion that it is not the Sony 940D. Now... If someone sees banding on every HDR stream they probably have an issue. But I think 80% of the people here are chasing red herrings.

Like you said, if UHD playback is perfect then is there really something wrong with your TV, it just reproduces the source material. Garbage in garbage out. Plus other variables like bandwidth, HDMI cable quality, etc. Oh and then there's always that guy who has the perfect TV, and sees no issue so it MUST be something wrong with the TV. lol..

I am not saying someone should not return their set and try again. That is completely up to them, it's their money.
MCaugusto likes this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Burningcoals; 12-09-2016 at 05:21 PM.
post #6247 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
I get the same smearing when using a pc hooked up with hdmi through the receiver.

He is teasing you while taking a shot at me. This pixel refresh rate red herring is another laughable test. But I won't get into this one. Suffice to say, other TV's besides Sony have the smearing issue.
Newbie789 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #6248 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
The two programs I used among others were Goliath on amazon and Daredevil on Netflix...I'll try the two you stated, can you look at the two shows I'm talking about and post pics of the same horizontal banding?
I will check those out for ya. Cool thing is I can check it out on Samsung and Sony HDR sets...

Spoiler!
post #6249 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:28 PM
** Man of Leisure **

My remote control's mic used to work for YouTube search, but for some reason, now it doesn't. I followed the instructions in Settings/Voice Remote Control, but that didn't fix it either. I don't see a way to open up a keyboard in the YouTube app either, so the app is essentially useless to me now.

Anyone have a tip on how to get the remote mic functioning again?
post #6250 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
My remote control's mic used to work for YouTube search, but for some reason, now it doesn't. I followed the instructions in Settings/Voice Remote Control, but that didn't fix it either. I don't see a way to open up a keyboard in the YouTube app either, so the app is essentially useless to me now.

Are you still able to scroll to the various demos, song videos, trailers, etc.? If so, then the app isn't "useless." I rarely use the mic; instead I find myself scrolling to the hundreds of clips that are offered in the various genres.

Obviously this is NOT a "fix" for the remote mic, but at least you should still be able to use the app.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6251 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
I have an issue with my new 940D, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed in these forums before:

Moving images leave brief 'shadows' or trails behind. For example. if you have a black dot move across a white background, you see a trail of faded black dots where it used to be (maybe 3 to 5 frames?). Each frame back it gets more dim. Another example is when subtitles are turned on, you can see the existing subtitle box for a quarter/half second when the new subtitle line appears. It's very distracting, especially when there is significant contracts (e.g. black item moving quickly across a light background).

It's like when you enabled mouse cursor trails back in Windows 98.

It seems to happen on pretty much any source (cable box, internal apps, OTA, etc.). I tried a few image modes and it still occurs. I tried motion settings (smooth, off, etc) to no avail. Any ideas? Is this a potential defect, or a setting issue? It doesn't appear when I pause the video, only when it is in motion.

Any help is much appreciated!
You can lessen the "smearing/trailing" by setting motionflow to "standard" and cinemotion to "low". It does introduce some SOA but I'll take that over more smearing any day. My first 940D was made last spring and my replacement was made in September -- they both have this issue. It seems that many don't see this as an issue but for me it is a major problem. Besides this issue I think the 940D is a fantastic T.V.; however, I also have an LG 65" OLED E6, which has no obvious issues that I can see, at least when compared to the 940D. If I could only have one I'd keep the E6 even though it's only 65".
post #6252 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just set up my fathers 940d, but I am having some issues with the sound output. Regardless of whether I select "TV Speakers" or "External Speakers", the sound still comes out of my soundbar via the optical out. Does anyone know how to fix this issue, or do I have a defective unit? I have updated to the latest firmware and the issue is still happening.

Also, should the "Light Sensor" option be ON or OFF for optimal picture quality?
post #6253 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Are you still able to scroll to the various demos, song videos, trailers, etc.? If so, then the app isn't "useless." I rarely use the mic; instead I find myself scrolling to the hundreds of clips that are offered in the various genres.

Obviously this is NOT a "fix" for the remote mic, but at least you should still be able to use the app.
If I am looking for a specific video, then it could take literally forever to find it. So, from that perspective, the app is useless.
post #6254 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
65 inch vs 75 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
You can lessen the "smearing/trailing" by setting motionflow to "standard" and cinemotion to "low". It does introduce some SOA but I'll take that over more smearing any day. My first 940D was made last spring and my replacement was made in September -- they both have this issue. It seems that many don't see this as an issue but for me it is a major problem. Besides this issue I think the 940D is a fantastic T.V.; however, I also have an LG 65" OLED E6, which has no obvious issues that I can see, at least when compared to the 940D. If I could only have one I'd keep the E6 even though it's only 65".
I would also rather have a 65 inch without issues than a 75 inch with issues. That's my opinion.
My small NY apartment is perfect for a 65 inch (the current size I own) ...my MLP is just 6 ft or so from the TV so a 65 inch in my small space is like a 75 inch in a larger space. The screen to me is quite large enough (and I have no issues).
post #6255 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
If I am looking for a specific video, then it could take literally forever to find it. So, from that perspective, the app is useless.
I hear you Jerry! Where I would really miss the mic is trying to find UHD/HDR demos...that's what I usually use the YouTube app for.
I just tried my mic and it's still working great. Hope you find a solution soon!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6256 of 13253 Old 12-09-2016, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 90
After reading both the 75x850D and 75x940D threads, I finally took the plunge and purchased the 940D at BBuy/Magnolia today. Turns out Best Buy has a warehouse only about 45 miles away so they can deliver this coming Sunday morning. My wait isn't long at all! I've been a plasma guy up until a few years ago. So when some of you, and the guys at Magnolia think that the 940D has close to plasma blacks, that makes me very excited.

My flat screen tv progression through the years looks like this...

Vizio P50HDM (plasma)—> Panasonic TC-P54G25 (plasma)—> Panasonic TC-P65VT30 "should have never sold this set" (plasma) —> Sharp LC-70LE650U (LED)—> Samsung UN65J6300 (LED)
post #6257 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
I would set that tv port back to enhanced and then use safe mode on the PS4 Pro to sync video settings.

Hold power button until it beeps twice. PS4 will launch a low res safe mode screen.
From there you can toggle HDCP and set things correctly.
Thanks. How would setting PS4 Pro HDCP tp 1.4 help? As I understand it HDR requires 2.2. Back at square one? Or you mean toggling from 1.4 back to 2.2 will make 2.2 stick? Will try in the morning.
post #6258 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcrae View Post
Thanks. How would setting PS4 Pro HDCP tp 1.4 help? As I understand it HDR requires 2.2. Back at square one? Or you mean toggling from 1.4 back to 2.2 will make 2.2 stick? Will try in the morning.
It's just the toggle / sync of using safe mode that I'm hoping will help you.

I had the PS4pro connected to the downstairs 850d (which should be similar, 4K/HDR/etc) but found a black screen when I moved it upstairs. Could hear it boot but no display.
Jumping into safe mode toggled something and it has been perfect ever since.
post #6259 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 AM

A few asked what smearing test video I used.. it was this: https://youtu.be/QkWE94l-txI

"https://youtu.be/QkWE94l-txI"

Can a few of you awesome people try this on your 940D and report if you see any smearing?

Note: I tried via the built in Youtube app and via PC connecting via HDMI. Same results.

It looks good on both my mobile and PC monitor.. maybe a very slight bit of smearing but nowhere near as bad as my 940D.

I posted a video of my results about this 20 posts above (post # 6239)

Last edited by Accidental; 12-10-2016 at 05:29 AM.
post #6260 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've had my display for about 2 weeks and I think I'm going to have to swap it. I have vertical banding that is seen when content pans. I haven't seen but one other person have this, so I'm guessing I'm just unlucky. Anyone else have This issue? I noticed it the second I turned on the tv and it was on the setup screen.

It doesn't smear though, so hopefully I'm not trading one issue for another.
post #6261 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
A few asked what smearing test video I used.. it was this: https://youtu.be/QkWE94l-txI

Can a few of you awesome people try this on your 940D and report if you see any smearing?

Note: I tried via the built in Youtube app and via PC connecting via HDMI. Same results.

It looks good on both my mobile and PC monitor.. maybe a very slight bit of smearing but nowhere near as bad as my 940D.

Did you search for this...as I pointed out in my first response, there are literally pages that discuss the differing opinions on this. One of the posters showed the test while a calibration technician was watching and the technician concluded the source (that youtube test) is bad...so you can keep asking, but you're not going to get a definitive answer. Do you see it in content? If it bugs you get rid of the set...
post #6262 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Does smearing turn up on regular content on your TV (Cable, Games, Blu-Rays, UHD/HDR etc)? However, my ASUS monitor and Samsung PC monitors have a slight smear with that test. Just like my TV on all regular content I do not see any smearing. If you do not have any problems with the TV when watching everything beside the YouTube test then don't worry, but if you have smearing on all content then exchange.

I have ran all the test on the TV for smearing for a couple of users ( HDR Sony camping video, the Star War , the Simpson test etc) on both mine and my dads TV. I wish I could help and don't mean to be rude but I think that something is wrong with the YouTube video
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Last edited by dominica; 12-10-2016 at 08:59 AM.
post #6263 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Hi AJ. I had this issue too and from what I recall there was an update for the remote that I found going through home / settings / voice remote control and it started working again. Trying doing a SW update on it or you might need to just activate the button again. I'm on SW version 5.3.13.017 for the aforementioned settings location. Hope that works for you. If not maybe try going to home / settings / bluethooth settings and make sure bluetooth is on. If so then go to the device list and make sure you see SONY TV RC MIC 001 or something like that. Hope that helps.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #6264 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM

I had seen a few posts about 'Screen' settings located in home / settings / picture & display area. Below is what I have setup. Can anyone provide feedback if this is correct or not? I just run Apple TV 4th Gen and Comcast HD cable box so no true 4k sources, yet, outside of native apps.

Wide mode: Full
Auto wide: On
4:3 default: Off
Auto display area: On
Display area: Full pixel
Screen position: n/a

Do these change once I do get a 4K source (PS, Xbox, Roku, Samsung or Oppo player)? Thank you.
post #6265 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzle View Post
I had seen a few posts about 'Screen' settings located in home / settings / picture & display area. Below is what I have setup. Can anyone provide feedback if this is correct or not? I just run Apple TV 4th Gen and Comcast HD cable box so no true 4k sources, yet, outside of native apps.

Wide mode: Full
Auto wide: On
4:3 default: Off
Auto display area: On
Display area: Full pixel
Screen position: n/a

Do these change once I do get a 4K source (PS, Xbox, Roku, Samsung or Oppo player)? Thank you.
I use these settings: Wide mode=Full, Auto Wide=On, Auto Display Area=Off, Display Area=Full Pixel. Once set, you should not need to adjust these settings again.
dmbfan36_23 likes this.
post #6266 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I use these settings: Wide mode=Full, Auto Wide=On, Auto Display Area=Off, Display Area=Full Pixel. Once set, you should not need to adjust these settings again.
Thank you. Hope the remote suggestions worked for you.
post #6267 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Does smearing turn up on regular content on your TV (Cable, Games, Blu-Rays, UHD/HDR etc)? However, my ASUS monitor and Samsung PC monitors have a slight smear with that test. Just like my TV on all regular content I do not see any smearing. If you do not have any problems with the TV when watching everything beside the YouTube test then don't worry, but if you have smearing on all content then exchange.

I have ran all the test on the TV for smearing for a couple of users ( HDR Sony camping video, the Star War , the Simpson test etc) on both mine and my dads TV. I wish I could help and don't mean to be rude but I think that something is wrong with the YouTube video

With this test I can see slight smearing on my iPhone 6s+...

hifi123 and Accidental like this.
post #6268 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
Most of Netflix HDR is horrible too. Streamed content is still compressed. I recommend Black Mirror from Netflix and Grand Tour from Amazon in HDR if you really want to test your TV, those should show no banding.

You do risk the possibility of getting a TV that has even more issues, dead or stuck pixels, etc. Your choice.

Black Mirror isn't HDR, or at least it doesn't show as HDR on my Sony. Grand Tour is and has good black levels. But only because the image is dark and the solid black comes at the expense of shadow detail. If I increase the light levels to revel shadow detail I wash out the blacks. Compare Marco Polo, 4K HDR, with Narcos, regular 4k, and you'll see what I mean. It may have something to do with artistic intent in that instance, but that doesn't explain why all streamed HDR I've seen so far doesn't come close to the best of regular 4K.

I continue to be unimpressed with streamed HDR. But, I don't believe our sets are the reason as a few posters have chimed in and had no problems with 4K HDR on disc. Hurry up Oppo!
markrubin and hifi123 like this.
post #6269 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
I just set up my fathers 940d, but I am having some issues with the sound output. Regardless of whether I select "TV Speakers" or "External Speakers", the sound still comes out of my soundbar via the optical out. Does anyone know how to fix this issue, or do I have a defective unit? I have updated to the latest firmware and the issue is still happening.

Also, should the "Light Sensor" option be ON or OFF for optimal picture quality?
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'm only in town visiting my father for a few more days and want to get him set up properly. I'll probably give Sony a call later today, but I have a feeling the folks here are much more knowledgeable
post #6270 of 13253 Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 AM

I did read up on other users' smear tests. I tried a handful of settings and suggestions to no avail. I guess my point was that the test is perfectly acceptable on my mobile (Galaxy Note 5 - OLED), PC monitor (LCD), and my cheapo Visio LED LCD TV in the bedroom. All of those displays had only a tiny bit of smearing (acceptable) if you look real hard at it. Only the 940D exhibited VERY noticeable and even distracting smearing (tried 3 sources - PC HDMI, Cable Box HDMI, and Built-in YouTube app).

I'm going to return at Best Buy and try a swap. I hope this isn't a model-line issue and just particular to my TV. Maybe I'm just picky, but I never knew what 'smearing' was until I saw my new 940D do it. Very noticeable and unacceptable for a $4K TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page