Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17167Likes

post #6271 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Black Mirror isn't HDR, or at least it doesn't show as HDR on my Sony. Grand Tour is and has good black levels. But only because the image is dark and the solid black comes at the expense of shadow detail. If I increase the light levels to revel shadow detail I wash out the blacks. Compare Marco Polo, 4K HDR, with Narcos, regular 4k, and you'll see what I mean. It may have something to do with artistic intent in that instance, but that doesn't explain why all streamed HDR I've seen so far doesn't come close to the best of regular 4K.

I continue to be unimpressed with streamed HDR. But, I don't believe our sets are the reason as a few posters have chimed in and had no problems with 4K HDR on disc. Hurry up Oppo!
You are correct. My bad... Watching way to many shows...

Well I have the same issue getting blacks to not crush and then washing out the blacks on my 940D. On my Samsung KS9000 I do not have this issue, Grand Tour is super bright, my Samsung seems a great deal brighter then the 940D.

Streamed HDR is definitely hit and miss. But why not just pick up a K8500 from Costco and return it when the Oppo comes out? At $200 its basically a bargain. Well not sure if price went back up.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
You are correct. My bad... Watching way to many shows...

Well I have the same issue getting blacks to not crush and then washing out the blacks on my 940D. On my Samsung KS9000 I do not have this issue, Grand Tour is super bright, my Samsung seems a great deal brighter then the 940D.

Streamed HDR is definitely hit and miss. But why not just pick up a K8500 from Costco and return it when the Oppo comes out? At $200 its basically a bargain. Well not sure if price went back up.

HDR looks good on the KS9000, argggggh!

Good idea on the K8500. My problem is slipping one box past the warden is tough, two would put me in solitary. Even if my lawyer pled it as one offense.
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #6273 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
I did read up on other users' smear tests. I tried a handful of settings and suggestions to no avail. I guess my point was that the test is perfectly acceptable on my mobile (Galaxy Note 5 - OLED), PC monitor (LCD), and my cheapo Visio LED LCD TV in the bedroom. All of those displays had only a tiny bit of smearing (acceptable) if you look real hard at it. Only the 940D exhibited VERY noticeable and even distracting smearing (tried 3 sources - PC HDMI, Cable Box HDMI, and Built-in YouTube app).

I'm going to return at Best Buy and try a swap. I hope this isn't a model-line issue and just particular to my TV. Maybe I'm just picky, but I never knew what 'smearing' was until I saw my new 940D do it. Very noticeable and unacceptable for a $4K TV.
Ditto. I'm on my second 940D so it's not an isolated experience.
aflorida likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6274 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Flipped through the few most recent pages of this thread and I don't see anything about a software update, yet I have one waiting for me first item in my apps menu ...

I don't even see it on Sony's site ...

Anyone else?

I'm hesitant to rush into installing it without seeing patch notes of some kind.
post #6275 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11517 Post(s)
Liked: 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post
Flipped through the few most recent pages of this thread and I don't see anything about a software update, yet I have one waiting for me first item in my apps menu ...

Anyone else?

I'm hesitant to rush into installing it without seeing patch notes of some kind.
Current version is PKG3.531.0108NAB.
post #6276 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I did read up on other users' smear tests. I tried a handful of settings and suggestions to no avail. I guess my point was that the test is perfectly acceptable on my mobile (Galaxy Note 5 - OLED), PC monitor (LCD), and my cheapo Visio LED LCD TV in the bedroom. All of those displays had only a tiny bit of smearing (acceptable) if you look real hard at it. Only the 940D exhibited VERY noticeable and even distracting smearing (tried 3 sources - PC HDMI, Cable Box HDMI, and Built-in YouTube app).

I'm going to return at Best Buy and try a swap. I hope this isn't a model-line issue and just particular to my TV. Maybe I'm just picky, but I never knew what 'smearing' was until I saw my new 940D do it. Very noticeable and unacceptable for a $4K TV.
I don't think returning it is going to do anything. My 940d was deleivered and set up today. It was in a shipment that arrived on Thursday so it's a very recent build date. I tried the black dot smear test and while not as bad as some I've seen on here it's very significant. So far I don't notice this while watching tv at all so for now I'm not that worried about it. If it truthfully bothers you I would look at getting a different tv.
hifi123 likes this.
post #6277 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post

Anyone else?

Did you click it? If you did you would see that it is not an update, but a message telling you that an update is coming soon.

It isn't available yet.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #6278 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry if you have already answered this question, but what sustained network speeds is your display receiving? I was reading this month's issue of Sound&Vision and for the first time saw the official Netflix recommendation of 25Mbs to sustain a UHD/HDR stream. Netflix even has their own tool, hosted on Netflix servers, to check the network speed: http://Fast.com.
I didn't know how to access via the set the url you provided, but I did run the network speed test in the Netflix app. It showed 23Mbs. I ran the same test using the Netflix app on my Oppo, and it also showed 23Mbs. The 940D and the Oppo are both connected to a Netgear Powerline adapter. When I ran a speed test on a laptop using the same connection, it showed 55Mbs. On my PC before the Netgear "bridge" and using wireless, a speed test shows 120Mbs.

Does the Netflix app limit the connection speed for some reason, or is its internal speed test inaccurate? I also wonder if I should connect my 940D via wireless, considering the results.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #6279 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I didn't know how to access via the set the url you provided, but I did run the network speed test in the Netflix app. It showed 23Mbs. I ran the same test using the Netflix app on my Oppo, and it also showed 23Mbs. The 940D and the Oppo are both connected to a Netgear Powerline adapter. When I ran a speed test on a laptop using the same connection, it showed 55Mbs. On my PC before the Netgear "bridge" and using wireless, a speed test shows 120Mbs.

Does the Netflix app limit the connection speed for some reason, or is its internal speed test inaccurate? I also wonder if I should connect my 940D via wireless, considering the results.
It is hard to say why the results vary. In my case, the 940D is on an Ethernet port. When I plug my laptop into the same port and run http://fast.com, I get ~65Mbs. So, without a way to actually run the test on the TV itself, I am assuming that the same bandwidth is available for the TV apps.

I don't know of a downloadable browser app for this TV--anyone know if there is one?
post #6280 of 13228 Old 12-10-2016, 10:43 PM
** Man of Leisure **

OK, I have succumbed to running the Moving Dot test on both the 940D and the XBR65X900A, which is now in my bedroom (a classic 4K flagship display from a couple of years ago).

Here are the results:

940D: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lur%20940D.MOV

900A: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r%20900A-2.MOV

I don't think either of them are showing blur that would be immediately evident when watching real content. Actually, the 940D seems to be handling the motion judder a little better. Other opinions?
hifi123, bmack500 and dominica like this.
post #6281 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
OK, I have succumbed to running the Moving Dot test on both the 940D and the XBR65X900A, which is now in my bedroom (a classic 4K flagship display from a couple of years ago).

Here are the results:

I don't think either of them are showing blur that would be immediately evident when watching real content. Actually, the 940D seems to be handling the motion judder a little better. Other opinions?
That's pretty much what I see on my 940. Fwiw, I can spot that in content every once in a while. I watch teen Titans go with my son sometimes 😁 and I can see the trails in the characters faces when they are "talking fast". Like I've said before, it's not enough to bother me on most content, given the price/performance value that the 940 provides compared to other high end sets (Z9D, LG 77" etc). I also don't deny that the problem very much does exist, and may be much more annoying for some than it is for me.
post #6282 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
Did you click it? If you did you would see that it is not an update, but a message telling you that an update is coming soon.

It isn't available yet.
The Android update is available for the 940C,but not the 940D yet. If you check Sony's page, it is listed for the 940C.

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #6283 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'm only in town visiting my father for a few more days and want to get him set up properly. I'll probably give Sony a call later today, but I have a feeling the folks here are much more knowledgeable
I could be wrong but I think the optical port is on all the time...

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #6284 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by salavs View Post
Quote:

Here are the results:

That's pretty much what I see on my 940. Fwiw, I can spot that in content every once in a while. I watch teen Titans go with my son sometimes ? and I can see the trails in the characters faces when they are "talking fast". Like I've said before, it's not enough to bother me on most content, given the price/performance value that the 940 provides compared to other high end sets (Z9D, LG 77" etc). I also don't deny that the problem very much does exist, and may be much more annoying for some than it is for me.
Thank you for making those videos of the smear test. Your tests are WAY better than mine. There is a hint of smearing on yours but that is expected and okay. I'd be perfectly happy with those results. If you watch your 940D test, then go back to mine you'll see how much worse it is. All settings I tried so far did not help. (2 hours of trial and error just to rule out settings issues). Then I just reset the TV back to default factory settings.

I think I just have a bad set. I'm within the return period and the folks at Magnolia @ Best Buy saw the test and agreed that something is wrong.
post #6285 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Black Mirror isn't HDR, or at least it doesn't show as HDR on my Sony. Grand Tour is and has good black levels. But only because the image is dark and the solid black comes at the expense of shadow detail. If I increase the light levels to revel shadow detail I wash out the blacks. Compare Marco Polo, 4K HDR, with Narcos, regular 4k, and you'll see what I mean. It may have something to do with artistic intent in that instance, but that doesn't explain why all streamed HDR I've seen so far doesn't come close to the best of regular 4K.

I continue to be unimpressed with streamed HDR. But, I don't believe our sets are the reason as a few posters have chimed in and had no problems with 4K HDR on disc. Hurry up Oppo!
Yes - Oppo, please get the new 203 player out!

I am really looking forward to getting this player and viewing a UHD blu-ray to really push the 940 and see its best abilities, as this will remove any issues with app or streaming bandwidth limitations.
post #6286 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Here are the results:

Your results are similar to mine. I see the same level of effect on that test video, but the smearing does not show up on regular content, but I have noticed it in very limited cases.

I don't blame anyone new to this form, looking to purchase this set and being concerned about this. It is real, and is an issue but not a deal breaker to me IMO. Maybe some people are more sensitive to the effect than others? On the very few times I have noticed it, it is very apparent, but otherwise I don't see the effect on regular viewing.

Probably the best example on "real world content", would be the paddles on the Sony camp demo clip.
post #6287 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6870 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
I would also rather have a 65 inch without issues than a 75 inch with issues.
Might as well get a 75" then because every TV made has issues just a matter of what issues you pick to live with.....
gwsat, hifi123, djoberg and 3 others like this.
post #6288 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi123 View Post
Your results are similar to mine. I see the same level of effect on that test video, but the smearing does not show up on regular content, but I have noticed it in very limited cases.

I don't blame anyone new to this form, looking to purchase this set and being concerned about this. It is real, and is an issue but not a deal breaker to me IMO. Maybe some people are more sensitive to the effect than others? On the very few times I have noticed it, it is very apparent, but otherwise I don't see the effect on regular viewing.

Probably the best example on "real world content", would be the paddles on the Sony camp demo clip.
I noticed this issue in real world content first (South Park, Finding Dory - both animated, then when I used subtitles, and finally in a fast-action scene in Star Wars). I then went to research and found out about the 'smearing' issue and found the YouTube video. Based on a few other 940Ds I've seen with this test recorded, I believe mine has the issue much worse.
post #6289 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I noticed this issue in real world content first (South Park, Finding Dory - both animated, then when I used subtitles, and finally in a fast-action scene in Star Wars). I then went to research and found out about the 'smearing' issue and found the YouTube video. Based on a few other 940Ds I've seen with this test recorded, I believe mine has the issue much worse.
For animated content, my experience is this: We have watched a few seasons of Bob's Burgers, The Wind Rises on blu-ray (great movie BTW), and as a test, I just watched some South Park clips, and I have not seen any smearing anywhere on this material as just noted. I have not seen Finding Dory or Star Wars, but will keep my eye out for this if I eventually watch those movies.

As you point out - your set probably has this issue worse than what some others are reporting, so you should consider exchanging or getting a refund. It sounds like the panels used in these sets might vary between batches, allowing different degrees of this which will contribute to this issue. For a flagship model (or now 2nd, behind the Z9D's), it does not look good on Sony.

I hope you can get this sorted out with the vendor you purchased the tv from. Good luck!
post #6290 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can someone advise me on how to change the settings in the HOME-->SETTINGS-->PICTURE & DISPLAY area??
All selections are grayed out and if i try ans select anything it says it cannot perform this function. The only selection that I am able to select is the last one 'screen area adjustment'. I have tried to to do this is with all inputs to no avail. I know I am missing something very simple, what am I missing??
post #6291 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 03:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Cho View Post
Can someone advise me on how to change the settings in the HOME-->SETTINGS-->PICTURE & DISPLAY area??
All selections are grayed out and if i try ans select anything it says it cannot perform this function. The only selection that I am able to select is the last one 'screen area adjustment'. I have tried to to do this is with all inputs to no avail. I know I am missing something very simple, what am I missing??
It could be that changes are not allowed for certain input resolutions, although I could not find one that graded out the settings. What is the resolution of your current input signal?
post #6292 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got my 940 d installed yesterday and I've had some time to play with it. I had a chance to do the black dot test and it was better than most I've seen on here but still very noticeable. Also I did notice when the screen is white the corners are a bit darker. Truthfully though if I didn't read about it here I probably wouldn't have noticed and it's a non issue on almost everything I've watched.
I'm loving the size compared to my 60gt30 it replaced. Watching Direct tv the picture is ever so slightly better than my plasma it replaced but not by much, however I expected it wouldn't be much better on that content.
So far I'm quite happy with the tv, I've already calibrated it from some specs I've found on here. Is the tv perfect? No way, but with everything I've watched and done with it so far I would absolutely buy one again. I feel like this is the best value out there by far on a premium 75" sized screen.
djoberg, BobDV, SirDucky and 1 others like this.
post #6293 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I got my 940 d installed yesterday and I've had some time to play with it. I had a chance to do the black dot test and it was better than most I've seen on here but still very noticeable. Also I did notice when the screen is white the corners are a bit darker. Truthfully though if I didn't read about it here I probably wouldn't have noticed and it's a non issue on almost everything I've watched.
I'm loving the size compared to my 60gt30 it replaced. Watching Direct tv the picture is ever so slightly better than my plasma it replaced but not by much, however I expected it wouldn't be much better on that content.
So far I'm quite happy with the tv, I've already calibrated it from some specs I've found on here. Is the tv perfect? No way, but with everything I've watched and done with it so far I would absolutely buy one again. I feel like this is the best value out there by far on a premium 75" sized screen.
Congrats on your new 940D and thanks for your impressions! I agree with you that "this is the best value out there by far on a premium 75" sized screen."
gwsat and BobDV like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6294 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It could be that changes are not allowed for certain input resolutions, although I could not find one that graded out the settings. What is the resolution of your current input signal?
Usually HD material 1080p through netflix or from media player. For some reason I am having trouble being able to change these settings.
post #6295 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post

Take a look at some of the 4K ocean, forest, etc. stuff on Netflix. It is the most eye popping image I've ever seen. It will show you what this set is really capable off. Then watch Narcos. You'll be real happy with your new Sony then, I promise.
post #6296 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone please point me to jerrys settings for the 940d. Just picked it up. Love the tv. Any help would be appreciated.
post #6297 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Cho View Post
Usually HD material 1080p through netflix or from media player. For some reason I am having trouble being able to change these settings.
I tried Netflix, and the settings are not grayed out. I can't test the media player.
post #6298 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I tried Netflix, and the settings are not grayed out. I can't test the media player.
When in netflix to change these settings I go back to the main menu then goto settings and then to picture/display then to display, but i am unable to change any of these settings, it says function unavailable. I am stumped!
Btw, is there a way to directly to the settings menu bypassing the home menu??
post #6299 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
Quote:
Take a look at some of the 4K ocean, forest, etc. stuff on Netflix. It is the most eye popping image I've ever seen. It will show you what this set is really capable off. Then watch Narcos. You'll be real happy with your new Sony then, I promise.
It's obvious that he's already "happy with (his) new Sony," but he'll be even "happier" after watching the 4K material that you suggested. I would also recommend watching many of the 4K UHD demos on YouTube, especially the "4K OLED demos."

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6300 of 13228 Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 598
So apparently today, there was a FW update. I got a message that picture reset mode was on. I have sound but no picture now. Where do I find this to turn this off! Looks like my settings were also changed, need to go and put them back in! UGH!

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page