Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17167Likes

post #6301 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11495 Post(s)
Liked: 6797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Cho View Post
When in netflix to change these settings I go back to the main menu then goto settings and then to picture/display then to display, but i am unable to change any of these settings, it says function unavailable. I am stumped!
Btw, is there a way to directly to the settings menu bypassing the home menu??
Something has me confused. The settings you are trying to access are global settings. Set them once, and they apply to all content and all inputs. So why not exit the TV apps, since this seems to be causing your issue, and just set them when watching normal content like cable or satellite? Or are the settings grayed out all the time, regardless of what you are doing?

And if all else fails, re-boot the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a question, I have the Samsung 75 7100.is the sony 75 940d that big of a upgrade thanks
post #6303 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 07:32 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
So apparently today, there was a FW update. I got a message that picture reset mode was on. I have sound but no picture now. Where do I find this to turn this off! Looks like my settings were also changed, need to go and put them back in! UGH!
No FW update here. Do we have the same TV?

When in doubt, re-boot the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Do you all enable "Light Sensor"? It seems to really mean local dimming, while the "Auto Local Dimming" option seems to do absolutely nothing in terms of local dimming. Any opinions on this?
post #6305 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
Do you all enable "Light Sensor"? It seems to really mean local dimming, while the "Auto Local Dimming" option seems to do absolutely nothing in terms of local dimming. Any opinions on this?
Light sensor should be turned off. It simply adjusts brightness based on ambient light. I don't want anything automated fooling with my brightness setting. And it has nothing to do with Auto Local Dimming, which should always be set to On (either medium or high).

Edit: Here is a test to demonstrate the effectiveness of Auto Local Dimming which works if you have a Denom or Marantz AVR. Switch to an input that has no video, say AUX1. The display should have the word "Denon" or "Marantz" displayed on a solid black background. In a dark room, turn Auto Local Dimming off. The black background will become a washed-out gray. Turn Auto Local Dimming back on, and the background becomes inky black. Of course, if you like washed out gray, leave Dimming off.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 12-11-2016 at 08:08 PM.
post #6306 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
No FW update here. Do we have the same TV?

When in doubt, re-boot the TV.
Hello, Jerry, I have absolutely no idea what is going on with my set! The reset picture mode message was on the bottom of the screen, the picture settings are all changed, the sound is changed back to stock. I wiped all of the info from the set. The picture came on, went to change the channel, now I have a snapping or popping noise when you change the channel. The picture was on for about 5 minutes, went out and now I just have sound! And that keeps going on and off now also! I am going to try and reboot the set and see what happens. Has me stumped!

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #6307 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Quote:
Light sensor should be turned off. It simply adjusts brightness based on ambient light. I don't want anything automated fooling with my brightness setting. And it has nothing to do with Auto Local Dimming, which should always be set to On (either medium or high).
Auto Local dimming on medium or off seems to make no noticeable difference. Shouldn't blacks become "bright" while turned off? I tried turning it off on blu ray credits and literally saw no difference. Is this TV that good that local dimming isn't noticeably different than non-dimming? Pretty impressive

Last edited by bigyeah; 12-11-2016 at 08:12 PM.
post #6308 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 08:10 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Hello, Jerry, I have absolutely no idea what is going on with my set! The reset picture mode message was on the bottom of the screen, the picture settings are all changed, the sound is changed back to stock. I wiped all of the info from the set. The picture came on, went to change the channel, now I have a snapping or popping noise when you change the channel. The picture was on for about 5 minutes, went out and now I just have sound! And that keeps going on and off now also! I am going to try and reboot the set and see what happens. Has me stumped!
Very strange indeed. Hope the re-boot gets you back to stability, even though you may have to re-input the settings.

P.s. I know some good settings if you need them...
brickyardz and kgraf18 like this.
post #6309 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Something has me confused. The settings you are trying to access are global settings. Set them once, and they apply to all content and all inputs. So why not exit the TV apps, since this seems to be causing your issue, and just set them when watching normal content like cable or satellite? Or are the settings grayed out all the time, regardless of what you are doing?

Yes, no matter what INPUT I have tried for some reason I am unable to access these settings. I am really confused as to why this has happened. I will attempt a reboot I guess if all else fails. I guess I am the only one here with this issue??
post #6310 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'm only in town visiting my father for a few more days and want to get him set up properly. I'll probably give Sony a call later today, but I have a feeling the folks here are much more knowledgeable
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I could be wrong but I think the optical port is on all the time...
I have read the same thing as well, and I experienced it first-hand with my own set. Connecting the sound bar via optical provides sound whether TV speakers are being used or not.
post #6311 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Congrats on your new 940D and thanks for your impressions! I agree with you that "this is the best value out there by far on a premium 75" sized screen."
Looking forward to delivery of my Sony XBR-75X940D from Best Buy on Tuesday morning. My Sony XBR-70X850B is being warrantied (Best Buy Geek Squad) due to a bad panel.

Hoping Best Buy tells me it's my responsibility to get rid of the Sony XBR-70X850B. I'll keep using it until it becomes "unwatchable."
post #6312 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 09:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Yes, no matter what INPUT I have tried for some reason I am unable to access these settings. I am really confused as to why this has happened. I will attempt a reboot I guess if all else fails. I guess I am the only one here with this issue??
Well, you lose nothing with a re-boot, and it takes 30 seconds. No need to be reluctant.
post #6313 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Are they really global? As of now, I use two inputs to my display: Component when I'm watching news etc. during the day without my AVR and HDMI4 when I'm watching at night. When I'm on the Component input, some of the settings behave differently than when I'm on the HDMI input from my AVR. I've posted a couple of times about wondering how to navigate the menus to make settings and save them for particular inputs. If you use only one input, I guess this isn't a problem.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #6314 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechieervin View Post
I have a question, I have the Samsung 75 7100.is the sony 75 940d that big of a upgrade thanks
I've had my 940d for just a day now and I'm really liking it. Personally I don't think it's a huge upgrade over what you have. If I had your set I'd keep it a few more years till something well within the upgrade comes out. You have a pretty nice set.
post #6315 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
Are they really global? As of now, I use two inputs to my display: Component when I'm watching news etc. during the day without my AVR and HDMI4 when I'm watching at night. When I'm on the Component input, some of the settings behave differently than when I'm on the HDMI input from my AVR. I've posted a couple of times about wondering how to navigate the menus to make settings and save them for particular inputs. If you use only one input, I guess this isn't a problem.
I thought the settings were global. Of course, I don't use Component video, so that might introduce a difference. You could test it out and report back, if you were so inclined.
post #6316 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I've had my 940d for just a day now and I'm really liking it. Personally I don't think it's a huge upgrade over what you have. If I had your set I'd keep it a few more years till something well within the upgrade comes out. You have a pretty nice set.
The reason I asked I just got the 7100, amazon has a open box for about 400 more than I paid for the 7100.Me and my daughter went to best buy to look at the 940 the pic blew me away my daughter keep telling me they all look the same lol
post #6317 of 13227 Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If that's the case the 940 is totally worth 400 more! I would look into an extended warranty with it being an open box. Mine was new and I still got an extended warranty but I get half back at the end if I don't use the warranty.
post #6318 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Well, you lose nothing with a re-boot, and it takes 30 seconds. No need to be reluctant.
By reboot, I am assuming you mean 'restart'? or do you mean the 'factory reset'?
post #6319 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ran thru and calibrated my TV on cinema mode. When you guys watch HDR material and the tv switches to HDR mode, does it go and increase the brightness to max and change your color setting (if you go to where you can reset the mode it says HDR vivid)? Just checking to see if this is correct or if I need to adjust some settings for HDR mode based on my cinema calibration.
post #6320 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Volume control on toslink

Sorry to bump up my previous question. Is anyone able to control the toslink out audio volume? Chromecast Audio Toslink is able to do it, but Sony not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlonger View Post
Hello everyone

I bought the 75X940D in June and except the dark corners I was lucky with the panel I guess. There are still two issues with the sound settings tough. I’m using the optical toslink out to my anti-mode room correction device and then to a high-end 2.0 stereo system without volume control.

1. Is there no global setting for an audio offset (in ms) sent to external toslink? All my previous TV sets had this. I know it exists in Kodi but I would like something a global setting.
2. I would like to control the digital out volume with my remote control. I’m able to do so from advanced settings, common, digital out volume (0-max) and I hear an immediate effect. But using normal volume buttons on the remote (Speakers set to Audio system, Audio out set to variable, PCM) just shows a graph going up and down, but does not change the volume at all. What is actually controlled?

Are those common limitations or am I overlooking something?

thank you!
post #6321 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldefed1 View Post
I ran thru and calibrated my TV on cinema mode. When you guys watch HDR material and the tv switches to HDR mode, does it go and increase the brightness to max and change your color setting (if you go to where you can reset the mode it says HDR vivid)? Just checking to see if this is correct or if I need to adjust some settings for HDR mode based on my cinema calibration.

The short answer is yes. But you can still change most, but not all, of the settings to suit your taste.
post #6322 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by runlonger View Post
Sorry to bump up my previous question. Is anyone able to control the toslink out audio volume? Chromecast Audio Toslink is able to do it, but Sony not?
I suspect your situation is quite unique. Most of us who use the Toslink Audio Out use our receivers to control the volume.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #6323 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
By reboot, I am assuming you mean 'restart'? or do you mean the 'factory reset'?
Yes, restart. Hold the power button on the remote down for about 5 seconds.
post #6324 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
Looking forward to delivery of my Sony XBR-75X940D from Best Buy on Tuesday morning. My Sony XBR-70X850B is being warrantied (Best Buy Geek Squad) due to a bad panel.

Hoping Best Buy tells me it's my responsibility to get rid of the Sony XBR-70X850B. I'll keep using it until it becomes "unwatchable."
You will be blown away by the PQ on the 940D! From what I have heard about the 850B, the blacks weren't that good. I'm hear to tell you that blacks on the 940D are stunning (if you're watching good source material). I still say they are as good in most cases and better in others than the blacks on my former Pioneer KURO Elite and that is saying something!!

Be sure to get back to us and tell us how you like it.
hifi123 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #6325 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Settings all changed on 940D,not problems with picture!

Yesterday something very strange happened with my 940D. During the day, the picture did not look right to me, I am using AustinJerrys settings. I look, everything was changed! The sound settings were back to stock. The shows that I was watching it was like the sound was off and the picture was stuttering. Then the picture went black but had sound. I tried a reboot, the picture was on for about 5 minutes, then dark again. This morning, I try a SD channel, the picture is on,but stuttering like I mentioned before, I go to change to a HD channel, the picture goes black! Yesterday, when I was switching from a SD to HD channel, I would get a popping or snapping sound from the back of the set. The only thing that is new in my system, I swapped a PS4 for a new PS4 Pro. Before I go and contact Sony, going to try a few things. Has me stumped so far!

BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #6326 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just a quick question, I've had my 940D for 5 months and am getting a warrant replacement tomorrow....Is it too late for me to purchase a squaretrade/costco warranty now? If not, which should I get? thx
post #6327 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked: 5831
Quote:
So apparently today, there was a FW update. I got a message that picture reset mode was on. I have sound but no picture now. Where do I find this to turn this off! Looks like my settings were also changed, need to go and put them back in! UGH!
I checked for a new System Update a minute ago and learned that my system is still up to date. This convinces me that Sony has not yet issued a new software update for the 940D. I read earlier that one is available for the 940C, though.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #6328 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I checked for a new System Update a minute ago and learned that my system is still up to date. This convinces me that Sony has not yet issued a new software update for the 940D. I read earlier that one is available for the 940C, though.
Yes, Gwsat, the update for Android is available for the 940C.There is a note on the Home Screen that mentions the Update,saw it last night, still not available for the 940D
gwsat likes this.

BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #6329 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
It is hard to say why the results vary. In my case, the 940D is on an Ethernet port. When I plug my laptop into the same port and run http://fast.com, I get ~65Mbs. So, without a way to actually run the test on the TV itself, I am assuming that the same bandwidth is available for the TV apps.

I don't know of a downloadable browser app for this TV--anyone know if there is one?
I asked this before and i think the said try the opera browser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #6330 of 13227 Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Might as well get a 75" then because every TV made has issues just a matter of what issues you pick to live with.....
Exactly. It's a choice. Whether it's motion issues, blooming, vinegretting, a dead pixel, uniformity, or something else you have to be able to live with the limits of that particular TV as every TV has pros and cons.
I am glad i don't see the smearing on normal content like hockey, football (not futball lol) and enjoy this 75 inch beast.
I've said it before and feel 3d is better on my ZT60.
Overall i dont regret the purchase, Yeah at nearly full price but been enjoying the hell out of it for like 5-6 months now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
hifi123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page