Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #6331 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon & Netflix - Roku vs included Android TV apps?

I pulled the trigger on one of these sets over BF weekend, and delayed delivery until after XMas.

I've searched this thread for "Amazon", trying to figure out if the included apps support 4K/HDR for Amazon Prime. I see references to the new Rokus as well.

Is the following correct?
- included Amazon app support 4K/HDR, but will not pass DD5.1 out via the optical output (hence the need for a new Roku)
- included Netflix app supports 4K/HDR + DD5.1

Thanks, in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I got my 940 d installed yesterday and I've had some time to play with it. I had a chance to do the black dot test and it was better than most I've seen on here but still very noticeable. Also I did notice when the screen is white the corners are a bit darker. Truthfully though if I didn't read about it here I probably wouldn't have noticed and it's a non issue on almost everything I've watched.
I'm loving the size compared to my 60gt30 it replaced. Watching Direct tv the picture is ever so slightly better than my plasma it replaced but not by much, however I expected it wouldn't be much better on that content.
So far I'm quite happy with the tv, I've already calibrated it from some specs I've found on here. Is the tv perfect? No way, but with everything I've watched and done with it so far I would absolutely buy one again. I feel like this is the best value out there by far on a premium 75" sized screen.
Congratulations and enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
LarryMagoo likes this.
post #6333 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Does anyone know if there is anything specific I need to do in order to leverage a 5.1 sound bar with the optical cable? Or, is it literally plug and play from the TV's perspective? I have it connected, speakers are set to "Audio System" (or whatever the option is), and I have the TV volume zeroed out. I get sound, I can change modes, and things will sound differently depending on the settings. But, I have to be honest that it seems I have to turn things up pretty loud in order to get good quality dialog sounds. I'm wondering if it's the sound bar, the tv, or the combo that's causing me issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6334 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
Yesterday something very strange happened with my 940D. During the day, the picture did not look right to me, I am using AustinJerrys settings. I look, everything was changed! The sound settings were back to stock. The shows that I was watching it was like the sound was off and the picture was stuttering. Then the picture went black but had sound. I tried a reboot, the picture was on for about 5 minutes, then dark again. This morning, I try a SD channel, the picture is on,but stuttering like I mentioned before, I go to change to a HD channel, the picture goes black! Yesterday, when I was switching from a SD to HD channel, I would get a popping or snapping sound from the back of the set. The only thing that is new in my system, I swapped a PS4 for a new PS4 Pro. Before I go and contact Sony, going to try a few things. Has me stumped so far!
I would go basic and disconnect everything. Eliminate all and test with just 1 device connected. tv coming directly from cable, dish/direct tv, or OTA and test that. Maybe restore to factory settings also. Try different HDMI cable.
Also try just a bluray or UHD player directly connected. Also the various HDMI ports.
It is odd but almost sounds like a power surge that fried something.

brickyardz likes this.
post #6335 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I've already calibrated it from some specs I've found on here.
Which specs/settings did you use?
post #6336 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11296 Post(s)
Liked: 6703
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23 View Post
I pulled the trigger on one of these sets over BF weekend, and delayed delivery until after XMas.

I've searched this thread for "Amazon", trying to figure out if the included apps support 4K/HDR for Amazon Prime. I see references to the new Rokus as well.

Is the following correct?
- included Amazon app support 4K/HDR, but will not pass DD5.1 out via the optical output (hence the need for a new Roku)
- included Netflix app supports 4K/HDR + DD5.1

Thanks, in advance...
The most recent FW supports 5.1 on optical for both Amazon and Netflix apps.
dmbfan36_23 likes this.
post #6337 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The most recent FW supports 5.1 on optical for both Amazon and Netflix apps.
I have the most recent firmware and noticed something odd last night with Netflix...

If you have the configuration set up to use the audio system and are connected via optical cable, the "Mute" control on the TV (which does NOT alter the connected audio system or sound bar in any way) will mute the audio content. So, what I'm saying is that the local television Mute control impacts audio over the optical out even though the volume controls do not and the Mute option does not impact audio from other sources.

Sounds like there's a bug in the app.
post #6338 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I
So far I'm quite happy with the tv, I've already calibrated it from some specs I've found on here.
To be clear, "calibrate" means to use a meter and software to measure and set values on the Display. Entering settings from a list you may have found in this thread is not calibrating the display, per se.

So, did you actually calibrate the display and, if yes, perhaps you could share your settings?
post #6339 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just arrived from Crutchfield a few days ago. First impression is WOW. Big, we upgraded from an old 55" DLP, but I'm getting used to the size - definitely glad we went for 75". Setup was challenging because of the size and weight - my wife and I managed it, but it was some work. We have it in our TV room so none of the equipment in my sig is on it, but a similar setup.

- Amazon Prime content over wired ethernet is fantastic - not sure if UHD is way better; all the movies we've watched so far look great, UHD or HD.

- Blu-ray looks excellent as well (using XBox One).

- Comcast over TiVo looks pretty ratty - seems the resolution of the TV only further reveals the compression artifacts. I need to try some of the content apps to verify it is Comcast versus TiVo. The TiVO interface looks excellent and crisp, so I think the issue is the Comcast content.

- ARC is working OK with the AV7701 and I'm getting DD5.1 from Amazon Prime content over ARC, but occasionally the AV7701 "wakes" up in a bad mood, is stuck, and I have to unplug it - I'm going to try a "certified" HDMI cable and try to drop from 15' to 10' to see if that makes a difference.

- ARC "volume" annoyance with it showing both the TV level and AV7701 level. I prefer the AV7701 volume display since that is real and set correctly versus the random TV speaker level that is in fact not in use. Would love to hide it from the display, but I have not found a way to do that. If the AV stuck issue persists, I may bail on ARC. For the moment, I disable the AV7701 volume display.

- USB IR blaster - could never figure out how to make that do anything - got a Sewel kit from Amazon that works great.

- Settings - wish the manual was more informative as many of the settings are things I have never seen before and not sure if they are good or not or what the trade-offs are in the different values - may have to break down and get a calibration expert over, but for now, it looks pretty great out of the box with minor tweaks.

We didn't get Squaretrade extended warranty protection, but I may retro that if I can? Thoughts from anyone on that?

Anyway, glad to be into the current century with this TV - what a treat!

Stephen Powell | McIntosh C47 | McIntosh MC152 | Marantz AV8802a | NAD M27 | Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 | ML Motion C/SL/SR | REL R-328 | Oppo BDP-105 | Sonos Connect

Last edited by stevepow; 12-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
post #6340 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I am so pumped "Oppo 203 Order Confirmed" directly from OPPO to go with my new 940D(delivered tomorrow)
hifi123, tysonmax and Doogle like this.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio

Last edited by davehale; 12-12-2016 at 01:34 PM.
post #6341 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

- Settings - wish the manual was more informative as many of the settings are things I have never seen before and not sure if they are good or not or what the trade-offs are in the different values - may have to break down and get a calibration expert over, but for now, it looks pretty great out of the box with minor tweaks.
Did you try the settings linked in my sig? If you have questions about settings, just ask.
post #6342 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
I am so pumped "Oppo 203 Order Confirmed" directly from OPPO to go with my new 940D(delivered tomorrow)

That makes 2 of us buddy...My wife and I have been re-watching all the Seasons of Game of Thrones on Blu on the new tv and it looks phenomenal. I cant wait to start playing my UHD disks when the Oppo arrives.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
post #6343 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a question, I order my set a couple of days ago from amazon its a used set. I seen a couple people that said you can buy a squaretrade warranty thru costco since I brought my set from Amazon can I still buy the squaretrade warranty through costco, if I could that would save me alot of money

Last edited by meechieervin; 12-12-2016 at 03:29 PM.
post #6344 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
Yesterday something very strange happened with my 940D. During the day, the picture did not look right to me, I am using AustinJerrys settings. I look, everything was changed! The sound settings were back to stock. The shows that I was watching it was like the sound was off and the picture was stuttering. Then the picture went black but had sound. I tried a reboot, the picture was on for about 5 minutes, then dark again. This morning, I try a SD channel, the picture is on,but stuttering like I mentioned before, I go to change to a HD channel, the picture goes black! Yesterday, when I was switching from a SD to HD channel, I would get a popping or snapping sound from the back of the set. The only thing that is new in my system, I swapped a PS4 for a new PS4 Pro. Before I go and contact Sony, going to try a few things. Has me stumped so far!

Sorry to hear about your set, sounds like a hardware issue - but only a guess... Have you tried the factory reset option in the menu?

Hope everything works out!!
post #6345 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraf18 View Post
I would go basic and disconnect everything. Eliminate all and test with just 1 device connected. tv coming directly from cable, dish/direct tv, or OTA and test that. Maybe restore to factory settings also. Try different HDMI cable.
Also try just a bluray or UHD player directly connected. Also the various HDMI ports.
It is odd but almost sounds like a power surge that fried something.

I unhooked everything, tried different cables, different HDMI inputs. I went and tried my PS4 Pro and my Nvidia Shield, they work fine. Got in touch with Frontier and they are sending me a new DVR. Still does not explain how in the hell all of my settings changed! All of my gear gets hooked directly to the 940D. I lost my 1st set to a power surge, this is my 2nd one.

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dead! Bad panel! 940D #3 almost dead, banding again!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
post #6346 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechieervin View Post
I have a question, I order my set a couple of days ago from amazon its a used set. I seen a couple people that said you can buy a squaretrade warranty thru costco since I brought my set from Amazon can I still buy the squaretrade warranty through costco, if I could that would save me alot of money
If you bought it from an authorized seller or it was sold directly by Amazon it should be OK. I'd call SquareTrade to make sure, but you could always return the warranty to Costco if SquareTrade puts up a fuss.
post #6347 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
Just a quick question, I've had my 940D for 5 months and am getting a warrant replacement tomorrow....Is it too late for me to purchase a squaretrade/costco warranty now? If not, which should I get? thx
Per the Costco website you need to purchase the warranty within 90 days of buying the TV. I just picked up a warranty for my 940D on Saturday. They didn't ask for a copy of the receipt at Costco, but I suspect that SquareTrade would ask to see it when you made a claim.
post #6348 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Liked: 4
Has anyone else noticed how any grain in a movie is really amplified in HDR mode? I just watched the new Jason Bourne movie and had to go watch the digital version just to verify the source had some grain to it.

In HDR it is very pronounced.
post #6349 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewithquestions View Post
Has anyone else noticed how any grain in a movie is really amplified in HDR mode? I just watched the new Jason Bourne movie and had to go watch the digital version just to verify the source had some grain to it.

In HDR it is very pronounced.
I noticed this on the first movie we watched from Prime, so I messed around with some of the settings and got rid of that issue - problem is I'm not really sure what I changed - probably NR and some of the clarity or sharpness based on some settings I had seen on the WEB. Still need to spend some more time on understanding the options.

Stephen Powell | McIntosh C47 | McIntosh MC152 | Marantz AV8802a | NAD M27 | Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 | ML Motion C/SL/SR | REL R-328 | Oppo BDP-105 | Sonos Connect
post #6350 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Did you try the settings linked in my sig? If you have questions about settings, just ask.
No, but thanks - I'll take a look at them soon when I get some time.

post #6351 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
That makes 2 of us buddy...My wife and I have been re-watching all the Seasons of Game of Thrones on Blu on the new tv and it looks phenomenal. I cant wait to start playing my UHD disks when the Oppo arrives.
I may just get Amazon Prime on the very next large purchase. Have just been waiting to see if more HDR shows will come up for viewing. My wife and I do binge watch to 2-3 in the morning sometimes.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #6352 of 13192 Old 12-12-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluffo View Post
Per the Costco website you need to purchase the warranty within 90 days of buying the TV. I just picked up a warranty for my 940D on Saturday. They didn't ask for a copy of the receipt at Costco, but I suspect that SquareTrade would ask to see it when you made a claim.
Good info! Already scanned my receipt for future use if needed in my scanned docs. And Malwarebytes is touting Ransomware updates now for Malwarebytes just in case. Hard copy in a safe place and on USB thumb drive for when I go on vacation to be triple safe for insurance purposes.

post #6353 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I noticed this on the first movie we watched from Prime, so I messed around with some of the settings and got rid of that issue - problem is I'm not really sure what I changed - probably NR and some of the clarity or sharpness based on some settings I had seen on the WEB. Still need to spend some more time on understanding the options.
I should have specified that this was a UHD Bluray on my Xbox One S. I think it is just the source but HDR mode really makes the grain pop
post #6354 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechieervin View Post
Yes, you can. Just got mine from Costco (bought TV at Best Buy), $89 for 4 years.
post #6355 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That is great info - thanks. I think I have most of what I need to do my own calibration - so that's an awesome guide. I tweaked around the settings based on your guide and got Comcast/TiVo Roamio to look a little better - but it's never going to be great and even the Amazon app on the TiVo looks nowhere near as nice as Amazon right off the Sony 940 or Blu-ray.

Thanks again.
AustinJerry and gwsat like this.

post #6356 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Right below the Sony logo. Next to the Illumination LED.
I had the same problem and Harmony changed the settings so the control of the TV comes from the remote, not the Hub.
post #6357 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
That is great info - thanks. I think I have most of what I need to do my own calibration - so that's an awesome guide. I tweaked around the settings based on your guide and got Comcast/TiVo Roamio to look a little better - but it's never going to be great and even the Amazon app on the TiVo looks nowhere near as nice as Amazon right off the Sony 940 or Blu-ray.

Thanks again.
My experience was the same as yours. Before I got my 940D I routinely used the Netflix and Amazon streaming apps built into my TiVo Premiere Elite. Then, I got the 940D and a TiVo Bolt but the result this time was that both Netflix and TiVo look way better when they are streamed from the 940D's apps than they do when they are streamed from the Bolt.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #6358 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Bought the Best Buy Geek Squad calibration during their deal of the day pricing yesterday, should have the appointment on the 20th. I think they only do the 'custom' picture setting for one view type such as either gaming, movies, etc. I'll let you know if it was worth the $. Wasn't expensive at all really...
post #6359 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody tested this unit with 3D content? Is the cross talk really that bad?
post #6360 of 13192 Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxguru1 View Post
Bought the Best Buy Geek Squad calibration during their deal of the day pricing yesterday, should have the appointment on the 20th. I think they only do the 'custom' picture setting for one view type such as either gaming, movies, etc. I'll let you know if it was worth the $. Wasn't expensive at all really...
I hope they don't disable the Auto Local Dimming like they said they were going to do if they calibrated mine. Once I learned that this was their intention I said, "No thank you!" The price would have been great for the calibration, but the price I would have paid in black levels (they would have been "dark gray" instead of "pitch black") would have proven to be greater.

If I were you, I would ask them if they disable the Local Dimming in their calibration. If they are so-called "purists" and say they disable all enhancements including Local Dimming, I would quickly tell them "No thanks, I'll look elsewhere." Believe me, the last thing you want to do is have your Local Dimming off; it should be set on at least Low, and better yet on Medium.
gwsat likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page