Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #7681 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
I assume you guys talking about the poor PQ of football broadcasts are using the built in scaler? Do you guys have anything else that you could use to scale to 4k? The built in scaler does very well with high quality, low compression sources, but not so well with highly compressed sources like cable and satellite. I am upscaling (DirecTV only) to 4k in my Integra DHC 80.3 and it was a very noticeable improvement, especially with sports. It's not 4k like by any stretch, but it does look much better, better than in looked on my old 1080p TV. Might give it a try if you have something else that will scale to 1080p.
I agree that the 940D's scaler leaves something to be desired when it comes to cable sources, all of which are greatly compressed. The default resolution setting on my TiVo Bolt is 1080p but I changed it to 4k. The result was that cable sources looked dramatically better on my 940D than they did when my TiVo Bolt's resolution was set too 1080p,.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11302 Post(s)
Liked: 6706
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Statman View Post
So you realize Marshmallow is the Android system on 940D's that are shipping today.
This is completely irrelevant. It has not been proven that the upgrade for the 940C is appropriate for the 940D. Even though you have had no issues, I maintain that it is prudent to wait until an official Sony release of the new software, especially if issues arise that require Sony support. If it is indeed shipping with new 940D displays, I wonder why Sony has not released it yet.

Besides, I have not seen anyone provide any proof that the upgrade provides beneficial fixes and/or enhancements. I am not a gamer, so if one of the benefits is lower latency, this is of no interest to me.
dlynch34, Newbie789 and LarryMagoo like this.
post #7683 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:06 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the 940D's scaler leaves something to be desired when it comes to cable sources, all of which are greatly compressed. The default resolution setting on my TiVo Bolt is 1080p but I changed it to 4k. The result was that cable sources looked dramatically better on my 940D than they did when my TiVo Bolt's resolution was set too 1080p,.
Unfortunately, I can't do that, since I have a Darblet in the signal path. IMO, the PQ improvements that the Darblet provides trump any benefits of up-scaling prior to the display. Of course, this is highly subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7684 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Ok, so I've been in love with my set since the day I bought it last month. I felt I was one of the fortunate one's that didn't have the bad smearing issues others have dealt with. I've even had it calibrated by one of the pro's on this site with really nice results. Fast forward to tonight, I pop in The Accountant UHD Blu-ray and watch about 45 minutes or so when I start to notice the picture looks "off". I keep watching until it hits me that my set has developed clouding when I watch HDR content. To test my theory, I put in the movie Gravity which has mostly dark scenes and you can see from the screen shot, the black bars basically disappear, and there is no visible clouding. Then I went back and put in The Shallows UHD Blu-ray that is brighter to see what happens. Sure enough, during the bright scenes it's only faintly visible in the bars. But when it's a dark scene you can see it clearly. So with all that said, and looking at the pics I included would you return it and get a replacement? There's not much I can do about the brightness of HDR mode since it's maxed out and can't be lowered. I was always under the assumption that clouding was either there from the start or it wasn't. I didn't know it could gradually happen. Like I said this TV has been as close to perfect as I could have hoped for until now. I'm a little bummed .

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Black Screen after Credits UHD
I'm having the exact same problem! I'm using Jerry's settings and different sources. I tried a factory reset and nothing seems to help. I'm not sure if I should contact Sony or start a Square Trade case. Can anyone offer any advise on how to proceed?

Last edited by gogoevo; 01-23-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #7685 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Besides, I have not seen anyone provide any proof that the upgrade provides beneficial fixes and/or enhancements. I am not a gamer, so if one of the benefits is lower latency, this is of no interest to me.
You have put your finger on the reason I have decided not to upgrade my 940D's software to Marshmallow until Sony releases it officially. I am not a gamer either and nothing I have seen reported here by folks who already have Marshmallow has convinced me to download it to my 940D in advance of its official release.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't do that, since I have a Darblet in the signal path. IMO, the PQ improvements that the Darblet provides trump any benefits of up-scaling prior to the display. Of course, this is highly subjective.
As you say, PQ is a highly subjective thing. As long as we both have done all that we can to give us the most pleasing images to our own eyes, that should end the inquiry.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #7686 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoevo View Post
I'm having the exact same problem! I'm using Jerry's settings and different sources. I tried a factory reset and nothing seems to help. I'm not sure if I should contact Sony or start a Square Trade case. Can anyone offer any advise on how to proceed?
I got a replacement, so far so good. Contact Sony if you want a replacement. SquareTrade would be after your manufacturer warranty expires.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
post #7687 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So after my issues yesterday I've decided to go ahead and get it swapped out with BB. Have already called and got it arranged. Unfortunately, living up here in BFE it won't get delivered until Feb 1st. I'll continue to update on my current set and let you know if I have any more issues until then.
post #7688 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
When watching a 3D movie. Go to settings and change Motionflow to Off. Give it a try and tell me if you see any difference.

Also what Blu-Ray UHD player are you using? with the Samsung UHD Player I had similar result like you until I turned Off Motionflow while watching a 3D movie. However, with my Sony S970, Oppo 203 and XboxOne S I had no problems and I could put motion flow setting to any selection. I only had the slight flicker (sometimes) with the Samsung and the only fix was Motionflow off and all my other players all the motion flow settings work and no flicker.
Really appreciate the info Dominica! I will try your suggestions when I get home this evening, hoping they will cure the issue. I'm pretty sure I had motion flow off already, but can't be certain (using Austin Jerry's settings). I also did a reboot of the set as per Active's instruction for first time pairing of the 3d glasses, so perhaps that resets all picture settings to factory default which may have motionflow set to on. I tested using "The Book of Life" on my Xbox One S, and tried The Force Awakens on the Xbox, but it wouldn't read the disc, so I popped it into the PS3 slim. Once playing on the PS3 TFA had the same flickering that I saw while watching "book of life" on the xbox.

Fingers are crossed at this point.
VMA!!
post #7689 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
Does anybody else feel ripped off on the Dolby vision thing - they are going to roll it out for the Z9D...
What's the backstory on this? Was the 940D in line to get DV at one point?
post #7690 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolsnik View Post
What's the backstory on this? Was the 940D in line to get DV at one point?
Nope. 940d owners are screwed on DV. 940D doesn't have the hardware to support it. I imagine most of us feel screwed because they secretly put the hardware in the Z9D but not the 940D. They also made no mention whatsoever throughout last year that they were even thinking of supporting it. I believe samsung still does not. It's peeving sure, but the HDR10 standard will be alive and well for a while. By the time either of these go the way of the DODO I'm sure we'll all have brand new 'motion issue free' super duper OLED tv's. We're talking years down the line. So sure, its definitely a thorn in the side but not as big an issue right now as say maybe, 5 years from now.

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----

Last edited by isupes; 01-23-2017 at 11:52 AM.
post #7691 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Well recieved my 940d replacement few hours ago and very happy with the PQ. The hd channels on direct tv look much better. I just has the pop up saying a firmware update is going to happen when the tv goes into standby. I really don't want it. I don't want to mess with anything. Anyway to stop it besides unplugging wifi?
post #7692 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post
Nope. 940d owners are screwed on DV. 940D doesn't have the hardware to support it. I imagine most of us feel screwed because they secretly put the hardware in the Z9D but not the 940D. They also made no mention whatsoever throughout last year that they were even thinking of supporting it. I believe samsung still does not. It's peeving sure, but the HDR10 standard will be alive and well for a while. By the time either of these go the way of the DODO I'm sure we'll all have brand new 'motion issue free' super duper OLED tv's. We're talking years down the line. So sure, its definitely a thorn in the side but not as big an issue right now as say maybe, 5 years from now.
Considering the Z9D is at least twice the price of the 940D, not sure "screwed" would be an appropriate description. In any case, HDR-10 will be around as long as there are UHD BDs since they are required by spec to have HDR-10 if "any" HDR version is on the disk.
BiggShooter likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #7693 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcovish View Post
Well recieved my 940d replacement few hours ago and very happy with the PQ. The hd channels on direct tv look much better. I just has the pop up saying a firmware update is going to happen when the tv goes into standby. I really don't want it. I don't want to mess with anything. Anyway to stop it besides unplugging wifi?
Interesting. What version is on it now? If its the latest version of lollipop you would be the first I've seen getting marshmallow pushed out on the 940D. Turning off wifi might help....unless its already downloaded and waiting until you cycle power. Maybe try turning off automatic update.
post #7694 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Considering the Z9D is at least twice the price of the 940D, not sure "screwed" would be an appropriate description. In any case, HDR-10 will be around as long as there are UHD BDs since they are required by spec to have HDR-10 if "any" HDR version is on the disk.
Well, owners of the 940D 'feel' screwed by the omission DV. Only to have it introduced in the 940E and SURPRISE! the Z9D. And lets not forget that the 940D cost as much as the Z9D before the Z9D. Can't be positive, but I'm sure the folks who bought the 940D at that price feel pretty screwed. I couldn't care less either way. I understand these standards take time to really develop, but I can sympathize.

post #7695 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
While I agree with you and the commenter you were quoting I don't agree with this sentiment that the Z9D is getting DV and the 940D isn't because it's so much more expensive. There's TV's made by LG and Vizio right now that cost less than the 940D and have Dolby Vision. Sony either overlooked it on the 940D(the 940E is slated to get DV) or felt that you had to pay a super premium. Personally, I think a $4000 tv(and higher than that was initially released) should have had it.

I don't feel cheated. I can't if it was never actually promised.

Interestingly, Samsung is still flat out refusing to add DV to their TV's.

Last edited by wolsnik; 01-23-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #7696 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting. What version is on it now? If its the latest version of lollipop you would be the first I've seen getting marshmallow pushed out on the 940D. Turning off wifi might help....unless its already downloaded and waiting until you cycle power. Maybe try turning off automatic update.
No its note the new update. My other tv from 2 weeks ago had the same update. I just don't want to change anything. The pic is so much better.
post #7697 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
Does anybody else feel ripped off on the Dolby vision thing - they are going to roll it out for the Z9D...
Oh well...I guess my Sony XBR-75X940D gets retired to the Loft in our home to make way for the Sony XBR-75X940E I'm sure next year Sony will introduce the XBR-75X940F which will include HDR, Dolby Vision, and SHDR (Super High Dynamic Range - ). It seems these TV's are 10 yrs ahead of current standards / technology...well maybe not 10 yrs, but definitely 3-5 years. I remember when I had a Panasonic Plasma that supported 1080p - you still are hard pressed to find 1080p content being delivered OTA or via Cable / Satellite. Now 1080p is a "yesterday" (for the most part) and 4K is the "today". I'm sure within a few years, 5K will become the "today" and 4K the "yesterday" with 1080P being the "forgotten". Regardless, I don't think I'll ever "win" with a set that supports "yesterday", "today", AND "tomorrow". Kind of a sad ordeal when you think about it. Oh well - enough of my rant. Regardless, I'm enjoying my Sony XBR-75X940D (minimal smearing / non-existent dark corners). It's the best TV I've owned to date..........
kicks92 and wolsnik like this.
post #7698 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
Oh well...I guess my Sony XBR-75X940D gets retired to the Loft in our home to make way for the Sony XBR-75X940E I'm sure next year Sony will introduce the XBR-75X940F which will include HDR, Dolby Vision, and SHDR (Super High Dynamic Range - ). It seems these TV's are 10 yrs ahead of current standards / technology...well maybe not 10 yrs, but definitely 3-5 years. I remember when I had a Panasonic Plasma that supported 1080p - you still are hard pressed to find 1080p content being delivered OTA or via Cable / Satellite. Now 1080p is a "yesterday" (for the most part) and 4K is the "today". I'm sure within a few years, 5K will become the "today" and 4K the "yesterday" with 1080P being the "forgotten". Regardless, I don't think I'll ever "win" with a set that supports "yesterday", "today", AND "tomorrow". Kind of a sad ordeal when you think about it. Oh well - enough of my rant. Regardless, I'm enjoying my Sony XBR-75X940D (minimal smearing / non-existent dark corners). It's the best TV I've owned to date..........
I'm with you on this.

It would be great if the manufacturers could separate these sets into a couple of "key pieces" with the panel itself being only one of them. The ability to upgrade main boards, rear panels, etc. would allow me as a consumer to be willing to spend more money on the panel itself and then pay small amounts to swap up to more intelligent or more capable hardware to drive the panel over the coming ten years. Then, do it again.

Why wouldn't I buy a Z9? Planned obsolescence versus how much it costs to buy in. I have a Sony KDL-52XBR5 that I bought nine years ago for a little more than I just paid for the 940D. That set still has a fantastic 1080 picture and is as crisp and clear as the day I got it. For 1080 content, it looks every bit as good as the 55" LG that was half its age (and died, only to be replaced by the 940D) - better in some cases.

To get the same value out of the 940D that I have gotten to-date from the XBR5 set, I will need to own this 940D for at least eight years (which I will unless it dies - and if it does, I'm all done buying expensive TVs). If the sets had some modularity to them, however, I could buy in to a quality panel when I was best suited to afford it and then buy in to the other pieces as warranted and free cash allowed. There's a TON of technology inside of these things, and there is definitely an opportunity to decouple pieces of it if only the manufacturers would do it.
BiggShooter likes this.
post #7699 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6384 Post(s)
Liked: 5698
Pfffttt.

If you want to be on the cutting edge of display technology, you have to pony up the $$$. It has always been this way, and always will be...albeit at an ever accelerating pace.

Personally, I'm glad the tech is advancing as rapidly as it is...this just means we will have holographic displays in our home sooner rather than later.
bluemoon737 likes this.
post #7700 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 PM
** Man of Leisure **

I think it would be nice if the TV's were designed so that new technologies could be added with a plug-in board. For an additional cost, which I would be willing to pay. For example, the initial release of the Sony XBRX900A did not support HDCP2.2. But a swap-out of the board containing HDMI4 added HDCP2.2 functionality at a later date, which protected my substantial initial investment.
BiggShooter likes this.
post #7701 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it would be nice if the TV's were designed so that new technologies could be added with a plug-in board. For an additional cost, which I would be willing to pay. For example, the initial release of the Sony XBRX900A did not support HDCP2.2. But a swap-out of the board containing HDMI4 added HDCP2.2 functionality at a later date, which protected my substantial initial investment.
This is basically the view that I have. While panels have gotten better over time, their biggest benefit today -seems- to be thickness. The rest seems to come from the technology that actually drives the panels.

Don't get me wrong - I wholly understand that there's a difference between a 1080 panel and a 4K Panel. That's the sort of thing that comes along much less frequently than HDMI updates, faster processors (to run heavier versions of the OS), new input / output technologies (USB, Bluetooth, etc.), and so on.
post #7702 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, owners of the 940D 'feel' screwed by the omission DV. Only to have it introduced in the 940E and SURPRISE! the Z9D. And lets not forget that the 940D cost as much as the Z9D before the Z9D. Can't be positive, but I'm sure the folks who bought the 940D at that price feel pretty screwed. I couldn't care less either way. I understand these standards take time to really develop, but I can sympathize.
The 940D was never as much as the Z9D. The bottom line is that the Mediatek chip that supports DV at the heart of the Z9D and the top 2017 lines (including the 940E) was not available when the 940D was delivered let alone developed.
brickyardz and Newbie789 like this.

-Jeff-

Last edited by bluemoon737; 01-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.
post #7703 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was Samsung's goal with the one connect box concept. It actually worked for me allowing my 2014 4k TV to fully support HDR via the SEK -3500 evolution box. Samsung has since abandoned the concept. Agreed, it would be awesome if Sony supported something similar.

-Jeff-
post #7704 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
The 940D was never as much as the Z9D. I got my 940D right when they came out and paid $7999 for it.Now I am on my second set and this one is bad. There will always be new tech coming out, always something better, I am more pissed about going through 2 of these than I am about it not having DV.

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dead! Bad panel! 940D #3 almost dead, banding again!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
post #7705 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I was able to turn it off from downloading while in standby. I don't know what all is in the update but my PQ is flawless compared to my last set I had for 2 weeks. Don't want to change a thing.
post #7706 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
The 940D was never as much as the Z9D. I got my 940D right when they came out and paid $7999 for it.Now I am on my second set and this one is bad. There will always be new tech coming out, always something better, I am more pissed about going through 2 of these than I am about it not having DV.
You're right. I was way off on that 8-9k price point. Understandable about being pissed having to go through 2 sets. I'd be too having paid that much when it first came out.

post #7707 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The 940D was never as much as the Z9D. The bottom line is that the Mediatek chip that supports DV at the heart of the Z9D and the top 2017 lines (including the 940E) was not available when the 940D was delivered let alone developed.
You're right. Sorry. 8K vs 9K. I was way off. And I never said not having DV bothers me. Only said I could sympathize with the ones who are bothered, having also just bought the TV myself in December. Who **** in your corn flakes man?

On a curious note. How did LG's Tv line up for 2016 end up with DV out the gate if the Mediatek chip wasn't baked yet? Did they use a different SOC? Genuinely curious. Did LG even have it out the gate? I was less focused on LG and more focused on the 940D when these tv's started rolling out for the year.

Last edited by isupes; 01-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.
post #7708 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right. Sorry. 8K vs 9K. I was way off. And I never said not having DV bothers me. Only said I could sympathize with the ones who are bothered, having also just bought the TV myself in December. Who **** in your corn flakes man?

On a curious note. How did LG's Tv line up for 2016 end up with DV out the gate if the Mediatek chip wasn't baked yet? Did they use a different SOC? Genuinely curious. Did LG even have it out the gate? I was less focused on LG and more focused on the 940D when these tv's started rolling out for the year.
Sometimes this sort of stuff depends on partnerships and contracts between companies. While the chip may not have been fully ready while the TV was being developed, LG could have been working behind the scenes with Mediatek so that the chip would be included at roll-out providing it was actually ready to be incorporated into the build.
post #7709 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Didn't realize I was being pi***...didn't mean to come across that way. It is my understanding that both LG and Vizio worked directly with Dolby and their particular chip suppliers to have DV baked in from the get go.

-Jeff-
post #7710 of 13193 Old 01-23-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Sometimes this sort of stuff depends on partnerships and contracts between companies. While the chip may not have been fully ready while the TV was being developed, LG could have been working behind the scenes with Mediatek so that the chip would be included at roll-out providing it was actually ready to be incorporated into the build.
And keep in mind that Mediatek is not the only chip manufacturer that is licensed for DV...there is at least one other, just can't recall which one.

-Jeff-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page