Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17123Likes

post #751 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
Awesome! Mine will be here Friday
Awesome. More people to do a self review and try things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty365 View Post

Side question: If anyone here knows of any really good window curtains that block light really well I'd love to know the brand name. So many claim 99.9% light and it really doesn't seem like they are blocking much of anything.
I got the below off of Amazon, and put them doorway in between my rec room and the theater, so I didn't have to have a door. The opening is 8 feet across and create a very large space for entertaining if needed. They work like a charm. Dark as night in the theater with afternoon sun beaming in the windows in the rec room.

I do not have them directly up against a window with sun shining direct on them, so YMMV. I'd get a blackout blind and put behind these, and then these over. That should do the trick. Amazon is great with returns.

<nevermind, I can't post that link. Brand "Deconovo" on Amazon>
Natty365 likes this.
post #753 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I bought this TV after reading about it in the 'anticipation' thread and it seems great. I am several orders of magnitude less knowledgeable about dolby vision, HDR, etc than you guys. Really just wanted a nice tv and it certainly seems to fit the bill.

Question about the "dirty screen effect" that another poster mentioned several pages back. Does everyone's do this? Mine certainly does. By this I mean the "blotchy" look when it displays a solid color. Eg, settings screens or the 'no input detected' screen. I suppose this is a minor issue. After all, who stares at a solid screen other than to obsess about it? When watching actual video or viewing images on a connected PC, I do not notice it at all even when I stare looking for it. I don't seem to have any issues with the "ghosting" that was mentioned by one owner.

Just curious about the heterogeneous look when showing a solid color.

Thanks!
samorist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhermit View Post
So I bought this TV after reading about it in the 'anticipation' thread and it seems great. I am several orders of magnitude less knowledgeable about dolby vision, HDR, etc than you guys. Really just wanted a nice tv and it certainly seems to fit the bill.

Question about the "dirty screen effect" that another poster mentioned several pages back. Does everyone's do this? Mine certainly does. By this I mean the "blotchy" look when it displays a solid color. Eg, settings screens or the 'no input detected' screen. I suppose this is a minor issue. After all, who stares at a solid screen other than to obsess about it? When watching actual video or viewing images on a connected PC, I do not notice it at all even when I stare looking for it. I don't seem to have any issues with the "ghosting" that was mentioned by one owner.

Thanks!
Since you have a connected PC, when you go to the resolution settings, is Windows or your GPU Drivers detecting the TV as 1080p native? It is on my set, even though I can select 4k and it runs fine, it is one of the oddities that the PC detect the TV as a native 1080p.

-Hawkmoon
post #755 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Since you have a connected PC, when you go to the resolution settings, is Windows or your GPU Drivers detecting the TV as 1080p native? It is on my set, even though I can select 4k and it runs fine, it is one of the oddities that the PC detect the TV as a native 1080p.
Yeah, I did notice that. I haven't played with it that much but when I set the resolution to 4k, windows 10 pro warns me that is not the optimal resolution or something similar.
post #756 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I reported the same thing one page back but nobody cares about me (complete sarcasm)

Watching soccer I can see it but it's not horrible. But viewing the TV from the kitchen, at an angle, it's pretty bad without solid color. Shows up on all sources.

Was trying to get feedback if I should return in for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhermit View Post

Thanks!
post #757 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
If you buy a new TV every year - then no, it probably isn't a huge deal.

But if you are like most people and keep their $6,000+ TVs for 3-4-5+ years, then, yes, it may very well be a huge deal.
I'd rather keep a $6k set with HDR10-only which actually meets the HDR10 standard than a lower quality DV set which will continue to present a picture further and further from the master as the DV masters push the envelope. At which point, to see what was originally mastered, you'll have to upgrade anyway.

Put another way; this Sony set reaches the limits of HDR10's mastering recommendations, so it'll show any and all HDR10 material to the best of its capabilities. Some "other" DV sets don't even reach HDR10 standards, so not only will it not display HDR10 at its best, but it'll never display a DV title at its best, rather it'll show a reasonably good looking tone-mapped variant.

Thus, if you want the best of DV, and you buy one of those other sets, then you'll be upgrading anyway. But, if you want the best of HDR10, then this Sony will be good enough because it meets HDR10 requirements.

That said, I suppose it'd be a no-brainer if Sony supported DV. Maybe next year....
post #758 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 253
A few people now have noted the dirty screen effect on the 940D so I'm just wondering if that was an issue on the 940C as well. The ghosting issues that have been mentioned along with the DSE have me a little worried about this set, especially if the 940C didn't suffer from these issues.
post #759 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
A few people now have noted the dirty screen effect on the 940D so I'm just wondering if that was an issue on the 940C as well. The ghosting issues that have been mentioned along with the DSE have me a little worried about this set, especially if the 940C didn't suffer from these issues.
My early production 940C exhibits some DSE / banding, but very minor. The set is almost a year old.
post #760 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
My early production 940C exhibits some DSE / banding, but very minor. The set is almost a year old.
Thanks for responding. Sadly it seems like it's almost impossible to get a screen these days that doesn't have some form of ghosting, blooming, banding or dirty screen effect. Makes me very nervous about plopping down several thousand dollars on a new TV.
post #761 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Quote:
The dirty screen effect doesn't really exist in the X940C. There have been about the 2 cases that I know of in the X940C thread but they returned and exchanged. My set is almost flawless and I am very picky so I maxed things out to test in the beginning and viewed from close extreme angles. The worst I could see was a very very faint vertical banding but it's not something you see in content in normal settings and regular viewing angles. I've watched hockey and several sports but I still don't see it. Many people believe and myself included that the dirty screen, uniformity, clouding and bleeding light issues would be exacerbated by the thinness of the X940D set. I personally saw a set at Magnolia and quickly spotted banding and uniformity issues that I have yet to see on the X940C. It's still a fantastic set but thinner in this case isn't always better as the back lighting is to close to the panel and may reveal back lighting issues easier than a set that is thicker and is spaced further with backlighting. Hope this helps but you can read through the X940C forum and find that the build, screen uniformity, etc isn't as good as x940c. I imagine if you wait for later production sets they will fix the defects in the initial waves of x940d.
post #762 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to tell when HDR is on with this TV? I have the Samsung K8500 (plugged directly to the 940D) and watch a little bit of Peanuts and Surf's (I know, I know) without issue. But when I loaded Mad Max, I got the "This display does not support HDR or HDCP 2.2..." but movie played fine. Just didn't know if there was an indicator for when HDR is on. Thx
post #763 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 340
To all recent owners of the 940D that have posted on this thread concerning issues such as dirty-screen effect, banding, blotches, corner flashlights, etc, could you please post full screen grey/white images showing your concerns about your sets ?

I noticed quite a few new owners asking AVS members for advice on whether or not they should request exchanges but how can we members agree or not with your findings and provide any suggestions when there aren't any pictures posted ?

It would also be very helpful for those of us deciding which 75" 4K HDR/WCG set to purchase in the next few months...

Thanks.
Mystaken likes this.
post #764 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

I will take pictures tonight.

EDIT: Where is the best place to find grey/white screen slides to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
To all recent owners of the 940D that have posted on this thread concerning issues such as dirty-screen effect, banding, blotches, corner flashlights, etc, could you please post full screen grey/white images showing your concerns about your sets ?

I noticed quite a few new owners asking AVS members for advice on whether or not they should request exchanges but how can we members agree or not with your findings and provide any suggestions when there aren't any pictures posted ?

It would also be very helpful for those of us deciding which 75" 4K HDR/WCG set to purchase in the next few months...

Thanks.
post #765 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Is there a way to tell when HDR is on with this TV? I have the Samsung K8500 (plugged directly to the 940D) and watch a little bit of Peanuts and Surf's (I know, I know) without issue. But when I loaded Mad Max, I got the "This display does not support HDR or HDCP 2.2..." but movie played fine. Just didn't know if there was an indicator for when HDR is on. Thx
While watching video go to picture settings on the TV. On the mode, it should indicate it is in HDR mode (HDR Cinema I believe is the wording).

It it isn't, and the player is connected to the TV, make sure you set the TV side to enhanced HDMI mode. If you are going through a receiver, make sure HDMI is on enhanced on both the TV and receiver *and* make sure the receiver supports HDR pass through...

Jason
brickyardz and Bigham16 like this.
post #766 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Bigham16,

Check out www.walvisions.com/FullFields.html for lots of test patterns available for free.
post #767 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjoel View Post
While watching video go to picture settings on the TV. On the mode, it should indicate it is in HDR mode (HDR Cinema I believe is the wording).

It it isn't, and the player is connected to the TV, make sure you set the TV side to enhanced HDMI mode. If you are going through a receiver, make sure HDMI is on enhanced on both the TV and receiver *and* make sure the receiver supports HDR pass through...

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
Bigham16,

Check out www.walvisions.com/FullFields.html for lots of test patterns available for free.
brickyardz likes this.
post #768 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhernandez1986 View Post
The dirty screen effect doesn't really exist in the X940C. There have been about the 2 cases that I know of in the X940C thread but they returned and exchanged. My set is almost flawless and I am very picky so I maxed things out to test in the beginning and viewed from close extreme angles. The worst I could see was a very very faint vertical banding but it's not something you see in content in normal settings and regular viewing angles. I've watched hockey and several sports but I still don't see it. Many people believe and myself included that the dirty screen, uniformity, clouding and bleeding light issues would be exacerbated by the thinness of the X940D set. I personally saw a set at Magnolia and quickly spotted banding and uniformity issues that I have yet to see on the X940C. It's still a fantastic set but thinner in this case isn't always better as the back lighting is to close to the panel and may reveal back lighting issues easier than a set that is thicker and is spaced further with backlighting. Hope this helps but you can read through the X940C forum and find that the build, screen uniformity, etc isn't as good as x940c. I imagine if you wait for later production sets they will fix the defects in the initial waves of x940d.
Thank you for that info. I had basically convinced myself to spend the extra money and go with the 940D, but some of the issues in this thread have me a little worried. If the back lighting has been affected by making the TV thinner and lighter that is a HUGE issue and it's something I definitely want to hear more about before making my ultimate decision. I probably shouldn't wait too long, though, because I'm guessing the supply of 940C's won't be around too much longer.
post #769 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Thank you for that info. I had basically convinced myself to spend the extra money and go with the 940D, but some of the issues in this thread have me a little worried. If the back lighting has been affected by making the TV thinner and lighter that is a HUGE issue and it's something I definitely want to hear more about before making my ultimate decision. I probably shouldn't wait too long, though, because I'm guessing the supply of 940C's won't be around too much longer.

Go to BB with ur demos on hard drive and ask for remote and check everything out.

I check my BB on saturday and both 940d tvs have this clouding ( blooming).. And one set curved like 930d (little)

And u know how bright in the store and still u see this blooming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #770 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrvigurik View Post
I check my BB on saturday and both 940d tvs have this clouding ( blooming)..
Is it possible local dimming was off, or low?
Natty365 likes this.
post #771 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Go to BB with ur demos on hard drive and ask for remote and check everything out.

I check my BB on saturday and both 940d tvs have this clouding ( blooming).. And one set curved like 930d (little)

Was the local dimming on or off -- could make a substantial difference?

Great minds think alike.
post #772 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Tried 3D Blu-Ray with the movie The Walk. It looked great to both my wife and I. Did not spot crosstalk and saw very good depth. Picture quality was very good! So far have not spotted any banding! I have a little dirty screen on a blank screen! Overall picture quality is excellent and it is not completely burned in. Picture quality has improved as the day went on! Watching the nightly news the picture was great too!
TomcatTLC likes this.
post #773 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Is it possible local dimming was off, or low?

post #774 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did NOT spot any blooming watching the Blu-ray The Martian! Blacks are very good!
post #775 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Tried 3D Blu-Ray with the movie The Walk. It looked great to both my wife and I. Did not spot crosstalk and saw very good depth. Picture quality was very good! So far have not spotted any banding! I have a little dirty screen on a blank screen! Overall picture quality is excellent and it is not completely burned in. Picture quality has improved as the day went on! Watching the nightly news the picture was great too!

Did you use the 3D Glasses you already had or did you buy new ones ? If so, what make and model did you buy ? Thank you in advance. Still hardly any feedback about 3D.
post #776 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From the picture settings shown above I would think that the blooming issues could be eradicated by lowering both contrast and brightness from their max settings and cutting back contrast enhancer and black adjust (both of which are set too high). I suspect that "torch mode" is causing most of the problems those pictures reveal.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 04-25-2016 at 05:41 PM.
post #777 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

My X940c has some clouding too when the local dimming is turned off. But the minute I set it to medium, the clouding is completely gone. What about you? Does your X940c have clouding as well when the local dimming is turned off?

Sony XBR-75X940C
Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofer
Samsung K8500 UHD Player
post #778 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12492 Post(s)
Liked: 11672
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Great minds think alike.

I was at best buy today and seen the 940d, I seen this exact scene with all that same blooming. I'm pretty sure local dimming was on because the blacks most of the time were very good when the leds shut off (which wouldn't happen if dimming was turned off). You can see in the picture how good the blacks are on top part of the screen. Tv looks good, but still has some areas where the oled can do things that an LCD will struggle with.
post #779 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I was at best buy today and seen the 940d, I seen this exact scene with all that same blooming. I'm pretty sure local dimming was on because the blacks most of the time were very good when the leds shut off (which wouldn't happen if dimming was turned off). You can see in the picture how good the blacks are on top part of the screen. Tv looks good, but still has some areas where the oled can do things that an LCD will struggle with.
I'll bet that if you max out both contrast and brightness with an OLED that the OLED's black level will take a hit -- especially on an all black field. I agree that LCD FALD sets will not match OLED for black levels when both are set up properly; however, with that being said I suspect that it's the maxed out settings that are causing the problems shown in those photos.
MCaugusto likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 04-25-2016 at 05:43 PM.
post #780 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
Did you use the 3D Glasses you already had or did you buy new ones ? If so, what make and model did you buy ? Thank you in advance. Still hardly any feedback about 3D.
My Panasonic 3D glasses did not work!
I used the Sony TDG-BT500A glasses!
brickyardz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page