Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17123Likes

post #781 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 77
These are two videos I took with my digital camera. So quality is not the best.

Using the stock "cinema pro" picture setting. No calibration has been done on TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12492 Post(s)
Liked: 11673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I'll bet that if you max out both contrast and brightness with an OLED that the OLED's black level will take a hit -- especially on an all black field. I agree that LCD FALD sets will not match OLED for black levels when both are set up properly; however, with that being said I suspect that it's the maxed out settings that are causing the problems shown in those photos.

Well let's put it this way, the oled ef9500 was playing 2 new HDR demos today and I'm pretty sure it was also maxed out, and it looked amazing and the blacks were perfect while everything else was pretty bright.

940d looked good, but still struggled with the hardest of tests. Might be able to turn it down a little, but with hdr youre restricted/limited with how much you can turn it down.
post #783 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 413
My wife and I both enjoy the TV and right have not found any big flaws that would make us return it! Still looking for some! 75" is a nice size and it would be tough to go back to 65".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn1988 View Post
My X940c has some clouding too when the local dimming is turned off. But the minute I set it to medium, the clouding is completely gone. What about you? Does your X940c have clouding as well when the local dimming is turned off?

I do see sometimes but not like this and not in daytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samorist likes this.
post #785 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I'll bet that if you max out both contrast and brightness with an OLED that the OLED's black level will take a hit -- especially on an all black field. I agree that LCD FALD sets will not match OLED for black levels when both are set up properly; however, with that being said I suspect that it's the maxed out settings that are causing the problems shown in those photos.

That was vivid mode. All BB sonys i check playing in vivid

post #786 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrvigurik View Post
Go to BB with ur demos on hard drive and ask for remote and check everything out.

I check my BB on saturday and both 940d tvs have this clouding ( blooming).. And one set curved like 930d (little)

And u know how bright in the store and still u see this blooming

You probably wouldn't notice any blooming if that photo were taken straight on... When viewing from an angle, blooming is exacerbated.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #787 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM

Official Sony XBR75 X940D Owner's thread No price talk please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
You probably wouldn't notice any blooming if that photo were taken straight on... When viewing from an angle, blooming is exacerbated.

It was straight on.

Someone know where i can get this demo?

post #788 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
post #789 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
well , The XBR-75X940D has production issues for about a 2 week delay due to the earthquake in Japan.
That is not good news! UGH!
post #790 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
well , The XBR-75X940D has production issues for about a 2 week delay due to the earthquake in Japan.
Are all X940Ds made in Japan?
post #791 of 13140 Old 04-25-2016, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Been messing with settings a bit more and I am liking my set more and more now. Yes, there are some quirks here and there, but these are things that are not impacting image quality or anything like that. Using Auto Dimming set on Medium instead of OFF has produced even better blacks for me. I did some further testing using some of the screens linked on the last page. Using full color/full screen I do not detect any screen uniformity issues on my set. I have been testing for banding and so far my set seems pretty damn clean. The only screen issue is some slight clouding, but using Auto Dimming on Medium or High eliminates it completely. Even having it off, I can only notice it when there is no input of when the screen goes black while transitioning, during normal playback of content or gaming it is not visible. But I am liking the auto dimming on medium. I am still hoping that someone here that has calibration equipment to get this set and run it through some testing to get some better settings.

I am going to wait to have my set calibrated, but so far really loving it and hopefully more owners post impressions, settings and other things to look for. For the record, I am very picky when it comes to TV's and really take time to dig and look for issues. I know that is sometimes not looked upon as a great thing to do, look for problems and I am one of those that once I see a problem I have a hard time "not seeing it". But with the price of this set, I rather take the time now while I still am in a return window to ensure that it right for me and thus far this set has really impressed me. All TV's will have some faults, some may have more clouding than others or some may have some banding, this is inherent to almost all T.V.'s, ultimately it comes down to what you tolerate as acceptable and worthy of your hard earned money. I have many friends that have sets with banding that I would not tolerate, but they feel it is not that big of a deal, so everyone is a little different in what they deem as acceptable.

-Hawkmoon
post #792 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:

to be honest it looks like the bightness on the tv was set to max. look at the sky it looks washed out and cloudy .. i know it doesnt have oled blacks but no way the picture is that BAD. someone deff had to play with the settings here.. weather it was an employee or some random customer
brickyardz likes this.
post #793 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirvin704 View Post

Using the stock "cinema pro" picture setting. No calibration has been done on TV.

https://youtu.be/A0ka289r35o

https://youtu.be/6pnvdk6MUUY

looks awesome i cant tell where the blacks on the tv start and were the darkness of the room begins... would you happen to be able to do a zone count for us?
brickyardz likes this.
post #794 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I too visited Best Buy last weekend to scope this thing out as they're offering 10% back in points thru April 30th on a Best Buy Visa. It was the central display of the "Sony Store" out on the main floor, though they did not have one setup in Magnolia yet (said they dropped it while trying to install it!).

I noticed similar blooming behavior. The first place it stuck out was white text on black background during credits. It definitely was exacerbated by viewing angle, and I have the feeling the unit was in Store Mode that included mega brightness, all the motion junk on, etc. It's nowhere near as bad as my 2014 Samsung HU8550 in terms of blooming/flashlighting, but it definitely encouraged me to wait until more user experiences and/or reviews come out, and further testing in a light-controlled room, to make a decision.

Regarding the demo - there was some sort of touchscreen monitor under the TV controlling the content, so I don't think it's a simple USB stick or accessing the demo part of the TV to view the videos... so I did not go into the menu and adjust settings, and I would have done in the light-controlled environment of Magnolia.
post #795 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
looks awesome i cant tell where the blacks on the tv start and were the darkness of the room begins... would you happen to be able to do a zone count for us?
Unfortunately I don't know how to do a proper zone count.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
post #796 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
to be honest it looks like the bightness on the tv was set to max. look at the sky it looks washed out and cloudy .. i know it doesnt have oled blacks but no way the picture is that BAD. someone deff had to play with the settings here.. weather it was an employee or some random customer
At my local BB just this past weekend I went and looked at this set...and saw the same demo. Absolutely did not notice any blooming like in this picture. In fact, the picture looked perfect. I didn't check any settings but I'm assuming that how I saw it is how the Sony people set it up, un-altered. It's very easy for someone to come in afterwards and change the settings. It was the most beautiful picture I had ever seen...and those demos don't even look very good (directing-wise).
brickyardz, SFMike and TomcatTLC like this.
post #797 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Been messing with settings a bit more and I am liking my set more and more now. Yes, there are some quirks here and there, but these are things that are not impacting image quality or anything like that. Using Auto Dimming set on Medium instead of OFF has produced even better blacks for me. I did some further testing using some of the screens linked on the last page. Using full color/full screen I do not detect any screen uniformity issues on my set. I have been testing for banding and so far my set seems pretty damn clean. The only screen issue is some slight clouding, but using Auto Dimming on Medium or High eliminates it completely. Even having it off, I can only notice it when there is no input of when the screen goes black while transitioning, during normal playback of content or gaming it is not visible. But I am liking the auto dimming on medium. I am still hoping that someone here that has calibration equipment to get this set and run it through some testing to get some better settings.

I am going to wait to have my set calibrated, but so far really loving it and hopefully more owners post impressions, settings and other things to look for. For the record, I am very picky when it comes to TV's and really take time to dig and look for issues. I know that is sometimes not looked upon as a great thing to do, look for problems and I am one of those that once I see a problem I have a hard time "not seeing it". But with the price of this set, I rather take the time now while I still am in a return window to ensure that it right for me and thus far this set has really impressed me. All TV's will have some faults, some may have more clouding than others or some may have some banding, this is inherent to almost all T.V.'s, ultimately it comes down to what you tolerate as acceptable and worthy of your hard earned money. I have many friends that have sets with banding that I would not tolerate, but they feel it is not that big of a deal, so everyone is a little different in what they deem as acceptable.

Thank you and everyone else who have taken the time to add their input to these interesting and important threads. I really, really would like this display to be the "Cats Meow" and actual owners feedback, whether it be positive or negative, is a huge factor for those (myself included) who are interested in opening their wallet and letting some of their hard earned $$$ escape from its confine. If you do end up having your display calibrated that feedback would be most interesting and most highly sought ! From what I understand there may be some difficulty having this product calibrated due to ... I know people are getting tired of hearing about this subject but "it is what it is" ... that HDR 10 thingee, it's open format, and No Standards set (yet) for it's settings for calibrators having at least a guideline to go by. Fortunately this only relates to that confounded HDR thing-ah-mah-gig function. Also, more 3D feedback from owners would be most appreciated.
SFMike likes this.

Last edited by TomcatTLC; 04-26-2016 at 06:29 AM.
post #798 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
My post is to determine if I should send the TV back and get a replacement. This post is not to talk bad about this TV. Cable, Blu Ray, Video Games, and 4K HDR Blu Ray movies look amazing on this TV. I am just seeing a little banding "dirty screen" on some material, mostly soccer. I also have a "hot spot" in the upper left side of the TV and is noticeable in some material (not all).

The TV is in my living room, the pictures and video's were shot on my iPhone 6S Plus, and there is some ambient light coming from the kitchen.

Note: the black dot on the screen is my mouse pointer.

This picture is a front view with a light grey background. I have no idea if you can see it but I have a "hot spot" in the top left corner. It's circled in red.

This picture is the side view going into the kitchen. Yes, I understand this is an "extreme" angle but you can see the "hot spot" better and some banding.

This picture is a front view with a green screen. I have circled where I see the most "dirty screen" when viewing soccer. But you really can't tell on this picture, more for reference.

This picture is the blue input screen. Not sure if you can tell but I have circled the "hot spot".

Here is a front view video of a banding test off YouTube. You can see the "hot spot" in the upper left hand corner when the clouds go by. You can't really see the banding in the grass like I could on soccer. You can also hear my dog taking a drink of water in the background

Here is a side view banding test. I understand that viewing from this angle shows more banding. So not sure if this video is valid.
MCaugusto likes this.

Last edited by Bigham16; 04-26-2016 at 12:51 PM.
post #799 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
My post is to determine if I should send the TV back and get a replacement. This post is not to talk bad about this TV. Cable, Blu Ray, Video Games, and 4K HDR Blu Ray movies look amazing on this TV. I am just seeing a little banding "dirty screen" on some material, mostly soccer. I also have a "hot spot" in the upper left side of the TV and is noticeable in some material (not all).

The TV is in my living room, the pictures and video's were shot on my iPhone 6S Plus, and there is some ambient light coming from the kitchen.

This picture is a front view with a light grey background. I have no idea if you can see it but I have a "hot spot" in the top left corner. It's circled in red.

This picture is the side view going into the kitchen. Yes, I understand this is an "extreme" angle but you can see the "hot spot" better and some banding.

This picture is a front view with a green screen. I have circled where I see the most "dirty screen" when viewing soccer. But you really can't tell on this picture, more for reference.

This picture is the blue input screen. Not sure if you can tell but I have circled the "hot spot".

Here is a front view video of a banding test off YouTube. You can see the "hot spot" in the upper left hand corner when the clouds go by. You can't really see the banding in the grass like I could on soccer. You can also hear my dog taking a drink of water in the background

Here is a side view banding test. I understand that viewing from this angle shows more banding. So not sure if this video is valid.
Thanks for this, that would drive me nuts, frankly my 940C exhibits something similar on the leftmost band, but not nearly as pronounced. Do you have a link to the actual You Tube video that you used?
Bigham16 likes this.
post #800 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Official Sony XBR75 X940D Owner's thread No price talk please!

Quote:

This picture is the blue input screen. Not sure if you can tell but I have circled the "hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNViMp6XZ8A

U can see it easy from this video.
Time to exchange the set.

What is the name of this video?

post #801 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post
Not really fair to call it vaporware. Sony will have some new higher end sets by the end of the year. They haven't been announced. They aren't supposed to be out now. They haven't been delayed as they haven't been announced. That's not vaporware.

German sites show a 65" model only, KD65ZD9BU. It will be a real bummer if they don't show a 85".

I was so happy without HDR...
post #802 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Which side pls?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T805 mit Tapatalk 4
post #803 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
German sites show a 65" model only, KD65ZD9BU. It will be a real bummer if they don't show a 85".
Can you post a link to which websites are showing this?
post #804 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7280 Post(s)
Liked: 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirvin704 View Post

https://youtu.be/A0ka289r35o

https://youtu.be/6pnvdk6MUUY
Funny, no blooming here and these are objects that you would think would certainly cause blooming. I suspect proper adjustments on that display TV, from the prior page, would minimize blooming greatly. I agree with others that felt the set was simply not adjusted properly.

The angle that the picture was shot at, doesn't help either.
post #805 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Here is the TV Banding Test off YouTube I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Thanks for this, that would drive me nuts, frankly my 940C exhibits something similar on the leftmost band, but not nearly as pronounced. Do you have a link to the actual You Tube video that you used?
Quote:

post #806 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Funny, no blooming here and these are objects that you would think would certainly cause blooming. I suspect proper adjustments on that display TV, from the prior page, would minimize blooming greatly. I agree with others that felt the set was simply not adjusted properly.

The angle that the picture was shot at, doesn't help either.

Im not trying to say the tv is bad or something.
Im staying in the middle of the scree.It wasnt huge blooming but when all the screen is deep black, its hard not to see that corner. Go check to BB and play with settings. But its not settings ( i did play with them) or angle..

I also have light blooming in Tom roper demo or something like that. When jet is passing the moon.. Its blooming around the jet

post #807 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7280 Post(s)
Liked: 8051
Yes, Tom's HDR video is one of the few times I too can see light blooming and it's just where you mentioned, around the jet. However even there, it's very minor.

Perhaps people have varying tolerances for blooming, but I just don't see it as a signficant issue with the 940c and I suspect, for a properly adjusted 940D. In fact, I've seen issues that would bother me a lot more in some of the OLED pictures I've seen.
brickyardz likes this.
post #808 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Quote:

No excuses for a $7k set I would want a refund or exchange. I wouldn't keep it, my x940c doesn't have any of those problems. I'm sure if you exchange you will get a better set but this seems to be the norm for production line right now. If I were you I would return and wait.

Production is trying to keep up with demand and so I believe this will be a panel gamble until demand slows and Sony starts to scrutinize the panels they purchase. Right now they are probably taking anything just fulfill demand. Just my 2 cents.
Bigham16 likes this.
post #809 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhernandez1986 View Post

Production is trying to keep up with demand and so I believe this will be a panel gamble until demand slows and Sony starts to scrutinize the panels they purchase. Right now they are probably taking anything just fulfill demand. Just my 2 cents.
That is very likely true and also very disconcerting.
post #810 of 13140 Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the confirmation and support. I have talked to my sales guy this morning and a new one is on order. It's also looking like it's coming from a different batch as the local warehouse is currently out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhernandez1986 View Post
No excuses for a $7k set I would want a refund or exchange. I wouldn't keep it, my x940c doesn't have any of those problems. I'm sure if you exchange you will get a better set but this seems to be the norm for production line right now. If I were you I would return and wait.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page