Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17122Likes

post #811 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
A great test for impressions would be if you can pull up the UHD HDR version of Man in the High Castle on Prime video Season 1 Episode 2. At 2minutes in the guy is chained to a wall and being spit on by a soldier, there is a big black shadow on the right hand side of that shot where text credits are fading in and out. This sequence really stressed my 930d since it is in full HDR mode with white text on a near black background, with other content surrounding.
Personally, having viewed both seasons of High Castle on a 75" 4K Samsung 99% of the time you'd never believe your viewing 4K as it's purposely dark, dirty, and worn as if a time lock occurred post war loss w/Nazi's/Japanese and technology/innovation ended and no one could afford a can of paint and I guess no HGTV or Home Depot.

Just seems to me to be one of the poorest samples to sell anyone on 4K. The only sequence during the entire series were brief when they filmed in Germany and the flags looked spectacular visually but everything else was truly depressing and certainly not a reason to spend money on a 4K TV. Visually it's a poor 4K sample as it films as a turd intentionally so and doesn't need 4K.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 04-26-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Yes, Tom's HDR video is one of the few times I too can see light blooming and it's just where you mentioned, around the jet. However even there, it's very minor.

Perhaps people have varying tolerances for blooming, but I just don't see it as a signficant issue with the 940c and I suspect, for a properly adjusted 940D. In fact, I've seen issues that would bother me a lot more in some of the OLED pictures I've seen.

Check ur pm plz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #813 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
So, how many owners here have actually experienced the ghosting that has been discussed the last few pages and was that ever an issue on the 940C? If this is something that is going to be an inherent problem on the 940D I may look into picking up a 940C before they're all gone.
All I can say is that this motion trailing/ghosting was very apparent to me in high contrast images with fast motion on my 940D. Multiple sources, direct connection to the TV.

I could make this go away only using motionflow smooth with cinemotion at medium or high.

I was convinced that his had to be a defective unit. Couldn't fathom that the native motion is actually like that. But when I went in to Best Buy to confirm that I did not see this on there display model I was shocked to see the same damn thing.

And it behaved the same way. Enable smooth motionflow and med/high cinemotion and it went away. But I would not be happy with the set using such a motion smoothing setting, so I decided it just wasn't for me.

Still surprised and scratching my head at this, but I saw it and it was confirmed by The Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Quote:
So, how many owners here have actually experienced the ghosting that has been discussed the last few pages and was that ever an issue on the 940C? If this is something that is going to be an inherent problem on the 940D I may look into picking up a 940C before they're all gone.
All I can say is that this motion trailing/ghosting was very apparent to me in high contrast images with fast motion on my 940D. Multiple sources, direct connection to the TV.

I could make this go away only using motionflow smooth with cinemotion at medium or high.

I was convinced that his had to be a defective unit. Couldn't fathom that the native motion is actually like that. But when I went in to Best Buy to confirm that I did not see this on there display model I was shocked to see the same damn thing.

And it behaved the same way. Enable smooth motionflow and med/high cinemotion and it went away. But I would not be happy with the set using such a motion smoothing setting, so I decided it just wasn't for me.

Still surprised and scratching my head at this, but I saw it and it was confirmed by The Dr.
Might be a newbie question, but what's so bad about motion smoothing? As long as it doesn't dim your set down with significant BFI, shouldn't it be acceptable? Or is it like a preference thing?
post #815 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6391 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
post #816 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Bingham16,

I would definitely ask the dealer for an exchange asap, specifically concerning what you described as that "hot spot" on the upper left side of screen. That black dot clearly visible on the white test image, is that a stuck pixel or is it larger than a single pixel ? Did you put your face right up to the screen so that you could clearly see the screen pixel array and whether or not that dot occupies the exact same space as a single pixel or does the dot cover more area than a single pixel ?

From the picture it looks like the dot is larger than a single stuck pixel, which would be even more worrisome, but either way that is an unacceptable defect for any flagship UHDTV set, specially from Sony, and it worries me that QC at the end of assembly line prior to boxing/shipping would let something so noticeably unacceptable go through as acceptable. Someone on the Vizio 2016 P-Series thread posted a picture very similar to the dot defect on your screen and he said it turned out to be something stuck between the panel layers and that once he turned his set upside down whatever was stuck fell down to the edge of the screen and completely disappeared, problem solved !

As for banding, the camera pans too fast across the screen for it to be easily visible but i did notice some of it which i imagine it is more noticeable if seen in person right in front of the screen, as you pointed out.

Perhaps it is like the above poster described, a matter of Sony taking in as many of these AOU LCD panels as fast as possible to fulfill its initial production run on schedule and not scrutinizing them as closely as they should prior to full assembly ?

There are already people on the Vizio 2016 P-Series stating that both the Sony 940D and the Vizio P75-C1 use the same exact LCD panel from AOU (it would be great if anyone could confirm/deny such rumour), and if that is true, i imagine AOU would be manufacturing and shipping these panels as fast as they are capable.

I have been following both threads every day as i am planning on purchasing my set soon, but i also decided to wait at least 2~3 months for further price dropping and, more importantly, wait until production run is on second or third stage as i learned over decades of purchasing A/V electronics that it is almost always smart to wait past initial production run...
Bigham16 and TomcatTLC like this.
post #817 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Sorry, that's the mouse pointer from my computer, so no worries there. Other wise that would have been a really bad screen

I almost waited for a later production run (for the reason's you stated) but my dealer had one and I couldn't resist

I went back and noted the mouse in my original post. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
Bingham16,

I would definitely ask the dealer for an exchange asap, specifically concerning what you described as that "hot spot" on the upper left side of screen. That black dot clearly visible on the white test image, is that a stuck pixel or is it larger than a single pixel ? Did you put your face right up to the screen so that you could clearly see the screen pixel array and whether or not that dot occupies the exact same space as a single pixel or does the dot cover more area than a single pixel ?

From the picture it looks like the dot is larger than a single stuck pixel, which would be even more worrisome, but either way that is an unacceptable defect for any flagship UHDTV set, specially from Sony, and it worries me that QC at the end of assembly line prior to boxing/shipping would let something so noticeably unacceptable go through as acceptable. Someone on the Vizio 2016 P-Series thread posted a picture very similar to the dot defect on your screen and he said it turned out to be something stuck between the panel layers and that once he turned his set upside down whatever was stuck fell down to the edge of the screen and completely disappeared, problem solved !

As for banding, the camera pans too fast across the screen for it to be easily visible but i did notice some of it which i imagine it is more noticeable if seen in person right in front of the screen, as you pointed out.

Perhaps it is like the above poster described, a matter of Sony taking in as many of these AOU LCD panels as fast as possible to fulfill its initial production run on schedule and not scrutinizing them as closely as they should prior to full assembly ?

There are already people on the Vizio 2016 P-Series stating that both the Sony 940D and the Vizio P75-C1 use the same exact LCD panel from AOU (it would be great if anyone could confirm/deny such rumour), and if that is true, i imagine AOU would be manufacturing and shipping these panels as fast as they are capable.

I have been following both threads every day as i am planning on purchasing my set soon, but i also decided to wait at least 2~3 months for further price dropping and, more importantly, wait until production run is on second or third stage as i learned over decades of purchasing A/V electronics that it is almost always smart to wait past initial production run...

Last edited by Bigham16; 04-26-2016 at 12:50 PM.
post #818 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Sorry, that's the mouse pointer from my computer, so no worries there. Other wise that would have been a really bad screen

I almost waited for a later production run (for the reason's you stated) but my dealer had one and I couldn't resist
this makes me feel a little better: one report like this, misinterpreted, and everyone piles on....

I hope you guys will give it a little more time....many new owners will begin to report here soon, self included
brickyardz and Bigham16 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #819 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7271 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Personally, having viewed both seasons of High Castle on a 75" 4K Samsung 99% of the time you'd never believe your viewing 4K as it's purposely dark, dirty, and worn as if a time lock occurred post war loss w/Nazi's/Japanese and technology/innovation ended and no one could afford a can of paint and I guess no HGTV or Home Depot.

Just seems to me to be one of the poorest samples to sell anyone on 4K. The only sequence during the entire series were brief when they filmed in Germany and the flags looked spectacular visually but everything else was truly depressing and certainly not a reason to spend money on a 4K TV. Visually it's a poor 4K sample as it films as a turd intentionally so and doesn't need 4K.
I have to disagree, westa. I thought the series looked great in 4K HDR on my 940c.
KidHorn and brickyardz like this.
post #820 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Could pls other owners test their screens with the two dse / banding Videos?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T805 mit Tapatalk 4
post #821 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhernandez1986 View Post
No excuses for a $7k set I would want a refund or exchange. I wouldn't keep it, my x940c doesn't have any of those problems. I'm sure if you exchange you will get a better set but this seems to be the norm for production line right now. If I were you I would return and wait.

Production is trying to keep up with demand and so I believe this will be a panel gamble until demand slows and Sony starts to scrutinize the panels they purchase. Right now they are probably taking anything just fulfill demand. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
That is very likely true and also very disconcerting.
I hate to go against the grain here but that banding doesn't look bad at all to me. I've yet to see one TV (including the 940c) that doesn't exhibit a bit of banding on torture tests like these. Also, I don't know if it's fair that we automatically assume Sony is skimping on panel quality considering I've seen nothing in this thread to lead me to that conclusion.
CCsoftball7, brickyardz and SFMike like this.
post #822 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I hate to go against the grain here but that banding doesn't look bad at all to me. I've yet to see one TV (including the 940c) that doesn't exhibit a bit of banding on torture tests like these. Also, I don't know if it's fair that we automatically assume Sony is skimping on panel quality considering I've seen nothing in this thread to lead me to that conclusion.
Maybe some are suffering buyer's remorse and/or are just being too picky. Trust me, I'm picky too. However, I stopped "looking" for problems a few TVs ago. You know what? Every TV will have at least one. I haven't looked for dead/stuck pixels because I'm afraid I'll find one. If I can't see them from normal viewing distance, does it matter? I did that with my XBR2, I found a stuck pixel and it bothered me until I finally bought a new set. Is my TV perfect? Absolutely not...because it was made by humans. Is it acceptable to me? Yes. If there are problems you see during normal viewing, likely your set is defective. If you are putting up test patterns, slides, videos, or other media, staring at your screen from 3 inches away...the TV may not be the problem...just saying...
Ken Ross, davoe, Deja Vu and 9 others like this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #823 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
While I have found some very helpful people on these forums I can safely say that this forum (and even more specifically, this thread) is full of people that are just doomsdayers. Every little thing wrong with the picture is a world-ending problem for them...I honestly feel like a lot of people are blowing up these little problems moreso than they have need to.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where there isn't a perfect consumer (or prosumer) television set that has perfect blacks, no banding, every single color on the visible scale, no jutter, no blooming, perfect sound or any of this. All you're doing by buying one TV over another is simply choosing the set that has the flaws that least bother you. We maybe need to look more at the things these TV's do right and enjoy them for what they are.

P.S. Defective sets exist under every brand name. Return them and get another if that's what's happening. Don't assume that 2 sets equals 50% of the TV's having issues.
post #824 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just my opinion and perspective. I want the best at a decent price and willing to pay some if it is worth it. Have 2 65ZT60's and wanted something larger but alas plasmas have sailed so i waited and found the 940D. Hoping it will dethrone and in some ways yes other still skeptical. It's a process for sure. I am a techie but don't want to spend hours or days obsessing or changing settings etc. I want to turn on the TV and experience something better than my last set. I have seen some oddities that I don't see on the plamas as i go to the other room to compare color motion etc. Motion is one of those oddities and its different tech so i get that it's not apples to apples but i want it to be better. I got better in 4k but motion i don't know and this blooming not sure if I've seen it or not. I will test it out more however u only have so much time before u can return it. Right now i can't see doing that as the extra size is nice and i like the TV. It makes me nervous when the wife points things out that look odd and say i never saw that on the plasma!
Also not sold yet on OLED and not paying 20k+ for a 77" G6 nor getting another 65".
75" on a nice looking stand is a sweet spot (for now) and that is the 940D. Some say I have a addiction to TVs. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #825 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
you know I have been into HD displays since 1999 when I paid $15k for a 50 inch Pioneer plasma: that was when they were first introduced

Spent hours looking for stuck/dead pixels/banding/ghosting/ motion processing.....you name it we identified all the issues here on AVS

so tomorrow my new 940D arrives: my first viewing will be 4K material: and not a blank screen...I don't intend to go chasing issues if I don't see them on actual material

just my opinion...
Egan, wmwilker, davoe and 11 others like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #826 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Maybe some are suffering buyer's remorse and/or are just being too picky. Trust me, I'm picky too. However, I stopped "looking" for problems a few TVs ago. You know what? Every TV will have at least one. I haven't looked for dead/stuck pixels because I'm afraid I'll find one. If I can't see them from normal viewing distance, does it matter? I did that with my XBR2, I found a stuck pixel and it bothered me until I finally bought a new set. Is my TV perfect? Absolutely not...because it was made by humans. Is it acceptable to me? Yes. If there are problems you see during normal viewing, likely your set is defective. If you are putting up test patterns, slides, videos, or other media, staring at your screen from 3 inches away...the TV may not be the problem...just saying...
I can definitely understand wanting to make sure your TV isn't defective but the search for perfection will only leave you angry and broke. At a certain point you have to realize that the Sony 940D has the best overall picture at the largest size that money can currently buy unless you are willing to drop $20K. There should be no buyers remorse because there's nowhere to go. I'm currently looking for a second 75" set and am merely deciding whether to buy another P75 or splurge for the 940D.
rjmcinnis, Bigham16 and Natty365 like this.
post #827 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
This is ridiculous. People trying to get help and these show up. Another two great examples as to why it can be so hard to help/post/interact on this forum.

The Sony 940D is one heck of a TV and doesn't need test patterns for anyone to see that. But if I'm going to shell out over $6500 for a TV, you bet I'm not going to settle for "it's okay with me" attitude. I hate having to take a TV back but I hate it even more when I'm watching my favorite sport and I see "grey clouds' on the screen. Very distracting.

Perfect? Doesn't exist and that's pretty obvious. But I don't settle for "okay" or "good enough" in whatever I do. That includes buying a Sony 940D and making sure the unit is working at it's best.

If either one of you buys the Sony 940D, I would love to hear your feedback on the set. Even if it's filled with "doomsday" remarks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty365 View Post
While I have found some very helpful people on these forums I can safely say that this forum (and even more specifically, this thread) is full of people that are just doomsdayers. Every little thing wrong with the picture is a world-ending problem for them...I honestly feel like a lot of people are blowing up these little problems moreso than they have need to.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where there isn't a perfect consumer (or prosumer) television set that has perfect blacks, no banding, every single color on the visible scale, no jutter, no blooming, perfect sound or any of this. All you're doing by buying one TV over another is simply choosing the set that has the flaws that least bother you. We maybe need to look more at the things these TV's do right and enjoy them for what they are.

P.S. Defective sets exist under every brand name. Return them and get another if that's what's happening. Don't assume that 2 sets equals 50% of the TV's having issues.

Last edited by Bigham16; 04-26-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #828 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
you know I have been into HD displays since 1999 when I paid $15k for a 50 inch Pioneer plasma: that was when they were first introduced

Spent hours looking for stuck/dead pixels/banding/ghosting/ motion processing.....you name it we identified all the issues here on AVS

so tomorrow my new 940D arrives: my first viewing will be 4K material: and not a blank screen...I don't intend to go chasing issues if I don't see them on actual material

just my opinion...
Lol so funny my first plasma was a Sony 51" xbr. Beautiful display wrapped in glass with speakers. Hey like the C series now without the glass. and within 6 months bought next size in a 61". As you said they weren't cheap back then. Now its OLED at those prices.

post #829 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My 940D was delivered today. Got it set up and haven't really played with it yet. Turned off all processing except auto local dimming which is set to medium. Have it in standard mode right now. I'm not going to fool, with it too much as I am going to have Chad B. calibrate it. My reference is my XBR65X900A that Chad did two years ago now on the wall in my bedroom which is why I haven't had much time with the 940D. That took awhile.

I am pleased to report I don't notice any issues with clouding, banding or blooming. Was a little concerned because of some of the issues reported here, so I'm thankful for a good panel. First, what a beautiful looking TV. Upscaling of DirectTV is very good as expected. Colors are a little vibrant, but again I haven't done much adjusting. Deep blacks, but daytime viewing isn't the best barometer for blacks. I've only watched TV so far. No ghosting, motion issues (trailing) or anything like that. Great depth in the picture. Really good off axis viewing compared to my X900A. Bottom line is I am very pleased with this set. I know Chad B. will make it sing as he always does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1406642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	1406650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1406658  
post #830 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

just my opinion...
Amen Mark! Same here! Mine will be here Friday!
markrubin, Hawkmoon and Bigham16 like this.
post #831 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92

Bslp Thanks for the review
brickyardz likes this.
post #832 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:
Perfect? Doesn't exist and that's pretty obvious. But I don't settle for "okay" or "good enough" in whatever I do. That includes buying a Sony 940D and making sure the unit is working at it's best.

If either one of you buys the Sony 940D, I would love to hear your feedback on the set. Even if it's filled with "doomsday" remarks.
I think you completely missed my point.
Natty365 likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #833 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Personally, having viewed both seasons of High Castle...
Both seasons?
post #834 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309

Quote:
This is ridiculous. People trying to get help and these show up. Another two great examples as to why it can be so hard to help/post/interact on this forum.

The Sony 940D is one heck of a TV and doesn't need test patterns for anyone to see that. But if I'm going to shell out over $6500 for a TV, you bet I'm not going to settle for "it's okay with me" attitude. I hate having to take a TV back but I hate it even more when I'm watching my favorite sport and I see "grey clouds' on the screen. Very distracting.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty365 View Post

I agree with you brother, I'm glad I didn't have to settle and my set works as it should. I'm very happy but to each his own.
Robin, Hawkmoon and Bigham16 like this.
post #835 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 05:08 PM

Congratulations Bslp!
Looks great! Love that movie.

post #836 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

just my opinion...
I understand that point of view and wish I could do the same. I know there are those that prefer to do things that way, watch content and use it as your normally would and if issues do not arise then that is great. As for me, I would rather look for potential issues sooner than discover them later. For example, on one of my first 1080p Sets, I did not notice the banding it had until about 2 weeks after I bought the set and it was down to watching a Soccer match that happened to come on the TV as I was flicking channels. I never noticed the banding until that point.

While I agree that if you don't see issues while watching normal content, then it should be fine, but it does not hurt to do testing with moving images, still full color screens etc. to see if the set has any issues. For me, I would rather know about the issues while I still can return the set to the retailer versus finding an issue a month after the return window. I know some users are little more picky than others and nothing wrong with that. We all look to want to have a great set and it is a shame that manufactures do not have better quality control so that end users don't need to see if there might be problems. I know of plenty of people that take a new TV home, set it up and call it a day even if that means leaving it on torch "VIVID" mode.

I look forward to your impressions when you get your set and I hope you share some of the settings you have as well. I still keep messing with settings, going from medium to high on auto local dimming and sometimes to off as I watch content. It is a great set and while I did look for issues, I am glad to report that it has been pretty damn good for me and nothing that makes me second guess my purchase.

-Hawkmoon

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 04-26-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #837 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12470 Post(s)
Liked: 11661
Quote:

The Man in The High Castle looks much better if your viewing the HDR version along with 4k. Realize the 4k streaming you're seeing is not as good as a native 4k disc, but does beat 1080p streaming quite easily.

And in case you werent aware, the hu8550 doesn't have access to amazon hdr unless you hack your service menu and change your model tag to a JS model.

The HDR in the man in the High Castle is very good for how it's meant to represent the film.
post #838 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraf18 View Post
Congratulations Bslp!
Looks great! Love that movie.

Thanks kgraf18.. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Happy to report the blacks look great in night viewing. Motion handling is excellent. Better than my X900A. I'm really liking it a lot!
brickyardz likes this.
post #839 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
My 940D was delivered today. Got it set up and haven't really played with it yet. Turned off all processing except auto local dimming which is set to medium. Have it in standard mode right now. I'm not going to fool, with it too much as I am going to have Chad B. calibrate it. My reference is my XBR65X900A that Chad did two years ago now on the wall in my bedroom which is why I haven't had much time with the 940D. That took awhile.

I am pleased to report I don't notice any issues with clouding, banding or blooming. Was a little concerned because of some of the issues reported here, so I'm thankful for a good panel. First, what a beautiful looking TV. Upscaling of DirectTV is very good as expected. Colors are a little vibrant, but again I haven't done much adjusting. Deep blacks, but daytime viewing isn't the best barometer for blacks. I've only watched TV so far. No ghosting, motion issues (trailing) or anything like that. Great depth in the picture. Really good off axis viewing compared to my X900A. Bottom line is I am very pleased with this set. I know Chad B. will make it sing as he always does.
Thanks for the review. How do the colors and upscaler compare to the 900a? Better or about the same? Thanks
post #840 of 13124 Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I can definitely understand wanting to make sure your TV isn't defective but the search for perfection will only leave you angry and broke. At a certain point you have to realize that the Sony 940D has the best overall picture at the largest size that money can currently buy unless you are willing to drop $20K. There should be no buyers remorse because there's nowhere to go. I'm currently looking for a second 75" set and am merely deciding whether to buy another P75 or splurge for the 940D.
Go for the X940D you won't be disappointed! I love mine more each day that passes. GL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page