Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17122Likes

post #841 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
German sites show a 65" model only, KD65ZD9BU. It will be a real bummer if they don't show a 85".
Intriguing if something like that actually comes out this year. I wonder how the performance would stack up against the 940D which has been reportedly been very good if it does come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraf18 View Post
Just my opinion and perspective. I want the best at a decent price and willing to pay some if it is worth it. Have 2 65ZT60's and wanted something larger but alas plasmas have sailed so i waited and found the 940D. Hoping it will dethrone and in some ways yes other still skeptical. It's a process for sure. I am a techie but don't want to spend hours or days obsessing or changing settings etc. I want to turn on the TV and experience something better than my last set. I have seen some oddities that I don't see on the plamas as i go to the other room to compare color motion etc. Motion is one of those oddities and its different tech so i get that it's not apples to apples but i want it to be better. I got better in 4k but motion i don't know and this blooming not sure if I've seen it or not. I will test it out more however u only have so much time before u can return it. Right now i can't see doing that as the extra size is nice and i like the TV. It makes me nervous when the wife points things out that look odd and say i never saw that on the plasma!
Also not sold yet on OLED and not paying 20k+ for a 77" G6 nor getting another 65".
75" on a nice looking stand is a sweet spot (for now) and that is the 940D. Some say I have a addiction to TVs. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It's almost like I wrote this post! Coming from 65ZT60 I got the 940D for the bigger size! Not sold on OLED and I do not want to pay that premium price! Was told the 77" OLED Would be $18K at the very best maybe $20k Motion is the hardest thing to adjust to coming from a plasma! But this 940D is nice set! One of the best looking 75" out there. Great size! There r no perfect TVs sold right now!
post #843 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post
Might be a newbie question, but what's so bad about motion smoothing? As long as it doesn't dim your set down with significant BFI, shouldn't it be acceptable? Or is it like a preference thing?
Motion Smoothing is better on Sony 4K TVs than most other LED LCDs. You put out a good question. I do not actually think it is defective! It resolved the issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Motion Smoothing is better on Sony 4K TVs than most other LED LCDs. You put out a good question. I do not actually think it is defective! It resolved the issue!
Does anyone think that DV could be added via USB 3.0 bus on an Android TV OS??

Could Sony pull it off and update the OS to include the external box / hardware to the task??

Technically why couldn't?
post #845 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Bingo! Tonight I watched part of mad max fury road in 4k hdr and looked really good. Have the samsung player. Dont care for the widescreen look with the black bars on top m bottom but they were black and blended well. Colors were great and used cinema pro without messing with any other settings. I do like this TV. Have to work on motion as shifting pixels or letters On CNN watching voter results. Thats what i call it anyhow. Self corects but its noticeable if white letters on color backgound sometimes.

Bigham16 likes this.
post #846 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
Does anyone think that DV could be added via USB 3.0 bus on an Android TV OS??

Could Sony pull it off and update the OS to include the external box / hardware to the task??

Technically why couldn't?
I doubt it could be, the Dolby Vision chip has to be part of the image processing chain. USB doesn't have the bandwidth or latency capabilities to shunt the video stream through a dongle and then back out before it hits the screen.
post #847 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bingo! Tonight I watched part of mad max fury road in 4k hdr and looked really good. Have the samsung player. Dont care for the widescreen look with the black bars on top m bottom but they were black and blended well. Colors were great and used cinema pro without messing with any other settings. I do like this TV. Have to work on motion as shifting pixels or letters On CNN watching voter results. Thats what i call it anyhow. Self corects but its noticeable if white letters on color backgound sometimes.

The black bars on top and bottom are unavoidable if you want to actually see the entire frame of the movie as it was filmed. Cinematic releases are typically in a wider aspect ratio than the standard 16:9 for televisions. When they're shown on TV they usually pan-and-scan to 16:9 (just how they used to do for movies on TV to get them to fill 4:3 screens) but blu-rays typically preserve the original aspect, which means some wasted space at the top and bottom.
post #848 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I doubt it could be, the Dolby Vision chip has to be part of the image processing chain. USB doesn't have the bandwidth or latency capabilities to shunt the video stream through a dongle and then back out before it hits the screen.
HDRDisp=1
ExtUSBModule=1
DV_SOC=1
DVCheck=1
DVPlay=1
post #849 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Unless I am mistaken and I can be, but if you were watching in Cinema Pro then you were not watching it HDR. HDR is it's own setting and once the player detects you have HDR it automatically switches it to the HDR setting. Again, unless I am wrong, I do believe that changing it to any other picture setting would turn off HDR.
frapso likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #850 of 13137 Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What motion settings are people who own 940D tv using to watch regular tv shows! Do you set them differently to watch a Blu-Ray?
post #851 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Intriguing if something like that actually comes out this year. I wonder how the performance would stack up against the 940D which has been reportedly been very good if it does come out.
germen sites if you dig deeper show a 65 and 75. i wouldnt hold your breathe they also said there was going to be a x950c last year in only 85
post #852 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
My 940D was delivered today. Got it set up and haven't really played with it yet. Turned off all processing except auto local dimming which is set to medium. Have it in standard mode right now. I'm not going to fool, with it too much as I am going to have Chad B. calibrate it. My reference is my XBR65X900A that Chad did two years ago now on the wall in my bedroom which is why I haven't had much time with the 940D. That took awhile.

I am pleased to report I don't notice any issues with clouding, banding or blooming. Was a little concerned because of some of the issues reported here, so I'm thankful for a good panel. First, what a beautiful looking TV. Upscaling of DirectTV is very good as expected. Colors are a little vibrant, but again I haven't done much adjusting. Deep blacks, but daytime viewing isn't the best barometer for blacks. I've only watched TV so far. No ghosting, motion issues (trailing) or anything like that. Great depth in the picture. Really good off axis viewing compared to my X900A. Bottom line is I am very pleased with this set. I know Chad B. will make it sing as he always does.

whens he coming out?
post #853 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Unless I am mistaken and I can be, but if you were watching in Cinema Pro then you were not watching it HDR. HDR is it's own setting and once the player detects you have HDR it automatically switches it to the HDR setting. Again, unless I am wrong, I do believe that changing it to any other picture setting would turn off HDR.
I had that hdmi input on cinema pro prior to starting the movie and the 4k option was off in TV picture settings. Then started the movie and it was on when it played. I didnt try to change anything. I will go back and see if HDR is displayed anywhere while playing. Appreciate the info. Picture was great regardless.

post #854 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknightman View Post
Thanks for the review. How do the colors and upscaler compare to the 900a? Better or about the same? Thanks
The 900A is a great TV. A statement piece by Sony in my opinion. I was hoping the 940D was not a step backwards after reading about some issues folks were having. It is not. It's hard to compare the colors right now because the 900A is professionally calibrated. That said, the colors on the 940D appear to have a little more pop. Take that with a grain of salt though because I haven't messed with it and won't really know until I have it professionally calibrated. The upscaling is just as good, maybe a hair better. The depth of the picture stood out to me. Blacks as well. Slightly darker on the 940D. I'll be in a better position to provide an opinion between the two once it's calibrated. Out of the box, the 940D has a better picture than the 900A did.
Hawkmoon and hifi123 like this.
post #855 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
The black bars on top and bottom are unavoidable if you want to actually see the entire frame of the movie as it was filmed. Cinematic releases are typically in a wider aspect ratio than the standard 16:9 for televisions. When they're shown on TV they usually pan-and-scan to 16:9 (just how they used to do for movies on TV to get them to fill 4:3 screens) but blu-rays typically preserve the original aspect, which means some wasted space at the top and bottom.
Thanks for the info. And yes i was aware of the aspect ratio and why they are there but wish the entire screen could be used without adjusting the ratio or zooming in. I know a bigger screen like a movie theater! Lol.

post #856 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
whens he coming out?
I'm getting in touch with him today to see when he's coming to Cleveland again. Hopefully soon.
brickyardz likes this.
post #857 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Thumbs up Professional Calibration.

Quote:
I'm getting in touch with him today to see when he's coming to Cleveland again. Hopefully soon.

If and when you do have your tv calibrated and if you care to divulge some settings, unless of course you were required to swear a vow of silence or sign a N.D. clause in blood , no doubt there will be many readers tuned up ... excuse me I mean "tuned in" ... to see how you made out having your tv professionally calibrated. Of interest will be Chad's Settings and Opinion on the HDR 10 due to it being an open source with no standards set (yet). From a famous Sgt. Schultz Line from Hogans Heros it will be "Intahesting, zerry zerry intahesting" ! Thank you in advance !
SFMike likes this.
post #858 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I had to go into HDMI settings and change it to "HDMI Enhanced" for the Sony 940D to detect HDR coming from the Samsung player. Not sure how to make the TV auto detect without doing this but I'm assuming there is a way.

Quote:
I had that hdmi input on cinema pro prior to starting the movie and the 4k option was off in TV picture settings. Then started the movie and it was on when it played. I didnt try to change anything. I will go back and see if HDR is displayed anywhere while playing. Appreciate the info. Picture was great regardless.

kgraf18 likes this.
post #859 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
I had to go into HDMI settings and change it to "HDMI Enhanced" for the Sony 940D to detect HDR coming from the Samsung player. Not sure how to make the TV auto detect without doing this but I'm assuming there is a way.
What you described is the only method for doing so.
Bigham16 likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #860 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
If and when you do have your tv calibrated and if you care to divulge some settings, unless of course you were required to swear a vow of silence or sign a N.D. clause in blood
These guys make a living doing calibrations. If you can afford a display like the 940D you can cough up some money to get it professionally calibrated.
brickyardz likes this.
post #861 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

Isn't that a one time setting? Doesn't that setting then get saved to that HDMI input?

Just been testing out a couple of hours the oled 65e6V and due to very bad banding/DSE and judder even with Trumotion maxxed out this Sony is back on my radar to replace my samsung 65js9500.

Hopefully some extra positive reviews in the coming days will help me make my decision....
post #862 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My 940D should be here next week - thanks for all the useful info in this thread. I don't begin to understand the intricacies of 4K / HDR but wanted a nice 4K set that would still do 3D. This set will be replacing an elderly Samsung 71" DLP set. Can't wait!
jbug likes this.
post #863 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer2usa View Post
Isn't that a one time setting? Doesn't that setting then get saved to that HDMI input?
Yes, and yes.

My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #864 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
If and when you do have your tv calibrated and if you care to divulge some settings, unless of course you were required to swear a vow of silence or sign a N.D. clause in blood , no doubt there will be many readers tuned up ... excuse me I mean "tuned in" ... to see how you made out having your tv professionally calibrated. Of interest will be Chad's Settings and Opinion on the HDR 10 due to it being an open source with no standards set (yet). From a famous Sgt. Schultz Line from Hogans Heros it will be "Intahesting, zerry zerry intahesting" ! Thank you in advance !

Lets donate to him via paypal everybody and he will share settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #865 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
My 940D should be here next week - thanks for all the useful info in this thread. I don't begin to understand the intricacies of 4K / HDR but wanted a nice 4K set that would still do 3D. This set will be replacing an elderly Samsung 71" DLP set. Can't wait!
Check your PMs
post #866 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks i will check that tonight.

post #867 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Congrats! Wow Dlp... been holding out. It is a nice 4k set. I am a stand guy and like the clean look front and back. Hate legs on the wnd and those narrow curved cresent moon ones. Enjoy your new set

post #868 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
It's funny because the first time I watched Mad Max UHD on this tv, I was like WOW so this is what HDR is all about!! Not realizing it was not in HDR. Goes to show how great the picture on this TV is. Brickyardz opened my eyes and helped me with the HDMI Enhanced setting. Now the TV is just incredible.

On your 940C, when you go back to regular HD material, do you leave HDMI Enhanced on or do you have the Samsung connected to another HDMI port on the TV? Does your picture setting change back to what ever picture setting you prefer or does it stay on "HDR Video"?

I have everything that's coming from my Denon (cable, Xbox, PS4, Apple TV) on HDMI 2 and I have the Samsung connected directly to the TV in HDMI 3. When I switched from HDMI 3 (Samsung with HDMI Enhanced on) back to HDMI 2 (Denon with HDMI Enhanced off) the picture setting stays on "HDR Video". Which looks like Vivid on steroids on non HDR content. I have to manually change my picture setting back to "standard".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
kgraf18 and Natty365 like this.
post #869 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On your 940C, when you go back to regular HD material, do you leave HDMI Enhanced on or do you have the Samsung connected to another HDMI port on the TV? Does your picture setting change back to what ever picture setting you prefer or does it stay on "HDR Video"?
My UHD player is connected to HDMI3 and that is the only component on that particular input. It switches in/out of HDR without issue.
Bigham16 likes this.

post #870 of 13137 Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
The 900A is a great TV. A statement piece by Sony in my opinion. I was hoping the 940D was not a step backwards after reading about some issues folks were having. It is not. It's hard to compare the colors right now because the 900A is professionally calibrated. That said, the colors on the 940D appear to have a little more pop. Take that with a grain of salt though because I haven't messed with it and won't really know until I have it professionally calibrated. The upscaling is just as good, maybe a hair better. The depth of the picture stood out to me. Blacks as well. Slightly darker on the 940D. I'll be in a better position to provide an opinion between the two once it's calibrated. Out of the box, the 940D has a better picture than the 900A did.
Thanks!!! Can't wait till you get that bad boy calibrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page