Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17146Likes

post #9991 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
I'm sure this was addressed a million times but this thread is HUGE. I'm just curious, do all 940d's have the ghosting issue (some of you call it smearing) or not. I'm having a new 940d sent to me from Sony for my set that I purchased in February but if they all have it whats the benefit, it's more of a hassle. They definitely agreed with me as it being an issue and had no problem sending me a new unit. Other than dealing with it on white or light backgrounds my set is perfect. The picture is top notch. Does anyone own a set without the issue? Please let me know.

Thanks
I think the issue afflicts all 940Ds, but some worse than others. I have seen this twice. Once when I watched the YouTube video with the black ball on the white background meant to demonstrate the issue. I also saw it while watching g a TV show last week. I don't recall what I was watching. I had to do a replay to confirm what I saw. And sure enough, it was there. So I've seen it one time in actual content in 4 months. If you are seeing it constantly I'd give Sony a call.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I don't see it all the time but you will see it if you watch hockey. Shows up on the white ice. Other than that the TVs great pictures perfect. I did just speak to someone with a 940e and the issue still exists with the new set. I did speak to Sony to send me a brand-new 940d but now I'm thinking it's a waste because the new ones going to have the issue also. Sony is fully aware of it being a problem as it shouldn't be happening yet they release a new TV with the same issue. Idk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The question is, does the glitch originate in the source device, or the display? What are you watching? If that is cable/satellite, does the same thing happen when watching a Blu-ray? If the display is defective, the defect should manifest itself regardless of the source.
He has said it happens while doing a factory reset on the robot screen with the gear while erasing the data. That would tell me it's a display issue and not any sort of source or processing issue.

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Marantz AV8802A -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
post #9993 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just got Planet Earth 2 UHD 4k bluray today. I only own an Xbox One S for my player. The image appears dark even though the TV is in the HDR video setting with max brightness. I'm using AustinJerry's calibration settings. I'm curious if its the player? I keep hearing the Xbox One S isn't the best. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9994 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
PLEASE HELP - need some advice/answers/recomendations for my new 940D

Hello, I created a post the other day but nobody replied so I'm trying this again. Just got my new 940D and like most on here I think it's absolutely awesome. And like a lot of folks on here with the amount of settings and customization it can be overwhelming at times. The more I use and screw with it, the more I learn. With that, I was hoping to find some things out.

I have my cable box going into the TV's #3 HDMI port. When I have the HDMI setting on "standard", it seems to work fine. But when I put it on "enhanced", the TV reboots as is normal behavior, and when it comes back up I get picture and sound for about 10 to 15 seconds, then suddenly the sound drops. Is there any advantage to getting the HDMI connection that has your regular broadcast signal coming in to work with "enhanced" mode set? Or is the "enhanced" setting for an HDMI port more for things like a 4K Blueray player or game console that can produce a 4K signal? I'm pretty sure my cable box just puts out regular 1080 or a 720 signal.

Another issue I have is my soundbar suddenly loses the sound a lot of the times out of nowhere. I have a Sony HT-NT5 hooked up from its HDMI "ARC" port to the TV's "ARC" port. To get the sound back sometimes switching the TV to its internal speakers and then back to external fixes it, but most of the time it's a huge pain and I have to unplug either the TV or Soundbar (sometimes both) for the sound to come out of the bar again. The soundbar doesn't shutoff, it just stops producing sound out of nowhere, usually when the TV is on for a while. Is it something to do with the "ARC" connection? Am I better off using the digital optical cable instead and if so, do I lose any sound quality by doing that?

My last gripe is sometimes the picture quality is AMAZING, then other times it's just "ehhhh", with some bluriness or graininess. Especially when I watch my hockey games. Sometimes its so bad that players who aren't the center of action like guys skating behind the net real fast - they look so "sandy" looking, or "grainy", whereas you can't even make out the #'s on the back of their jerseys. The players that aren't the center of attention look very pixelated. Is there a specific motion setting that I should be looking at adjusting? I have the picture mode just on "standard", and haven't really changed much. Is there a link someone can post or type out with the preferred best settings to change for sports? For movies? Or for just everyday in general viewing? I know a lot of it has to do with the crappy signal that my Optimum cable provider gives me. I say this because at times I'll be very frustrated with the picture quality, especially with shows that I'm watching at a later time that were recorded on the DVR, but when I launch the TV's internal YouTube app or Netflix and watch something that is labeled UHD or 4K, well those qualities are usually out of this world. Premium channels like HBO or SHO are usually much better looking too. I just wish I could set it up and come to a point where I can make some adjustments for an "overall" better picture for mostly every day viewing. I'm sure it's been posted already somewhere but if someone can post a list of settings to change ideally for sports and/or just for everyday general viewing that will make the picture better I'd really appreciate it

Originally I had bought the 850D model. The first one I had for about a week and the picture for the "most part" was great. The issue was on the very first night I had it the unit crashed big time. And the only way I was able to get it back up was to unplug everything and boot everything back up. Within the first week I had it the thing crashed like 10 times. So my guy at BB suggested they just replace it with another one for it can crash at times, but it definitely shouldn't have happened that much to me in the first week of owning it. HOWEVER, once they replaced it with another unit. for the entire first week I had it it didn't crash once. But the problem I felt was the picture quality was horrible compared to the first unit I had, especially as I mentioned above when I watched hockey or any sport. So my wife didn't want to hear me complain anymore, and we agreed to take the plunge and spend another $1500 to upgrade to the better 940D model. I figured it couldn't hurt, and I was hoping that solved the "sandy" looking issues when watching my hockey games. For the most part, the "graininess" wasn't as bad as the 850D, and I was kind of satisfied but I know the quality can be better. I just don't know what settings I should be changing or what's recommended. With that being said, I'm VERY happy that I upgraded to the 940D. I think the quality is ten times better than the 850, and the back lit vs. the edge lit is the difference between night and day. My wife can't really tell, but I think the clarity and sharpness, and the detail on the 940D is way way better than the 850's.

Sorry for such a long post, but any help and info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

KevLev
post #9995 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
Thanks for the input. It's not really a parent only on white backgrounds. If you watch hockey you can occasionally see it in the puck and in the players. Also like you mention on the YouTube video. Other than that the set is perfect. But I was just curious to see if someone actually has a TV that it doesn't happen on. Because if that does exist I would like for it not to happen on mine LOL.
OK, this seems like less of an issue than I originally thought. Are you using motion flow at all? I know with my last TV (Sharp) certain motion processing settings would cause what you are explaining. I could see it on the hockey puck and also in football games on kickoffs and punts.

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Marantz AV8802A -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
post #9996 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Then the TV should be replaced.
Yes, the ball is already rolling with Sony. I'm still curious "dirty power" could be the culprit, but that said I live in the middle of the city and none of my other devices have issues. Thanks for your inputs everyone! I'll let you know what happens.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #9997 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLev17 View Post
Hello, I created a post the other day but nobody replied so I'm trying this again. Just got my new 940D and like most on here I think it's absolutely awesome. And like a lot of folks on here with the amount of settings and customization it can be overwhelming at times. The more I use and screw with it, the more I learn. With that, I was hoping to find some things out.

I have my cable box going into the TV's #3 HDMI port. When I have the HDMI setting on "standard", it seems to work fine. But when I put it on "enhanced", the TV reboots as is normal behavior, and when it comes back up I get picture and sound for about 10 to 15 seconds, then suddenly the sound drops. Is there any advantage to getting the HDMI connection that has your regular broadcast signal coming in to work with "enhanced" mode set? Or is the "enhanced" setting for an HDMI port more for things like a 4K Blueray player or game console that can produce a 4K signal? I'm pretty sure my cable box just puts out regular 1080 or a 720 signal.

Another issue I have is my soundbar suddenly loses the sound a lot of the times out of nowhere. I have a Sony HT-NT5 hooked up from its HDMI "ARC" port to the TV's "ARC" port. To get the sound back sometimes switching the TV to its internal speakers and then back to external fixes it, but most of the time it's a huge pain and I have to unplug either the TV or Soundbar (sometimes both) for the sound to come out of the bar again. The soundbar doesn't shutoff, it just stops producing sound out of nowhere, usually when the TV is on for a while. Is it something to do with the "ARC" connection? Am I better off using the digital optical cable instead and if so, do I lose any sound quality by doing that?

My last gripe is sometimes the picture quality is AMAZING, then other times it's just "ehhhh", with some bluriness or graininess. Especially when I watch my hockey games. Sometimes its so bad that players who aren't the center of action like guys skating behind the net real fast - they look so "sandy" looking, or "grainy", whereas you can't even make out the #'s on the back of their jerseys. The players that aren't the center of attention look very pixelated. Is there a specific motion setting that I should be looking at adjusting? I have the picture mode just on "standard", and haven't really changed much. Is there a link someone can post or type out with the preferred best settings to change for sports? For movies? Or for just everyday in general viewing? I know a lot of it has to do with the crappy signal that my Optimum cable provider gives me. I say this because at times I'll be very frustrated with the picture quality, especially with shows that I'm watching at a later time that were recorded on the DVR, but when I launch the TV's internal YouTube app or Netflix and watch something that is labeled UHD or 4K, well those qualities are usually out of this world. Premium channels like HBO or SHO are usually much better looking too. I just wish I could set it up and come to a point where I can make some adjustments for an "overall" better picture for mostly every day viewing. I'm sure it's been posted already somewhere but if someone can post a list of settings to change ideally for sports and/or just for everyday general viewing that will make the picture better I'd really appreciate it

Originally I had bought the 850D model. The first one I had for about a week and the picture for the "most part" was great. The issue was on the very first night I had it the unit crashed big time. And the only way I was able to get it back up was to unplug everything and boot everything back up. Within the first week I had it the thing crashed like 10 times. So my guy at BB suggested they just replace it with another one for it can crash at times, but it definitely shouldn't have happened that much to me in the first week of owning it. HOWEVER, once they replaced it with another unit. for the entire first week I had it it didn't crash once. But the problem I felt was the picture quality was horrible compared to the first unit I had, especially as I mentioned above when I watched hockey or any sport. So my wife didn't want to hear me complain anymore, and we agreed to take the plunge and spend another $1500 to upgrade to the better 940D model. I figured it couldn't hurt, and I was hoping that solved the "sandy" looking issues when watching my hockey games. For the most part, the "graininess" wasn't as bad as the 850D, and I was kind of satisfied but I know the quality can be better. I just don't know what settings I should be changing or what's recommended. With that being said, I'm VERY happy that I upgraded to the 940D. I think the quality is ten times better than the 850, and the back lit vs. the edge lit is the difference between night and day. My wife can't really tell, but I think the clarity and sharpness, and the detail on the 940D is way way better than the 850's.

Sorry for such a long post, but any help and info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

KevLev
Hey just so we arent collectively ignoring you... :-D

1) I don't see any reason to use enhanced mode if your hdmi source doesn't output HDR/4k. I wouldn't be surprised if that mode (while it shouldn't) is causing handshake issues with your device and hence your problems.

2) I use hdmi arc with little problem at all, but in researching it this isn't the case for a lot of folks. Apparently it's glitchy. Double check your receiver is set up for arc control. I have a cheap Sony HTCT150 and it gives the option for both ARC and HDMI control in the receiver itself. I've only experienced issues once with ARC... One morning I turned the TV on and no sound. But otherwise it works as advertised. If you don't mind using another remote or the IR blaster optical may be a better solution for you.

3) Pixelating, in my experience, is almost always a source issue. Bandwidth or Antenna signal....

I'm no super guru but at least this is a place to start!

Last edited by davej948; 03-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #9998 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
Just got Planet Earth 2 UHD 4k bluray today. I only own an Xbox One S for my player. The image appears dark even though the TV is in the HDR video setting with max brightness. I'm using AustinJerry's calibration settings. I'm curious if its the player? I keep hearing the Xbox One S isn't the best. Thanks
I use Xbox one s too and the HDR settings are all much darker. I helped it a little by turning motionflow to custom and then min on both.

post #9999 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navidf View Post
My remote's Home button does not work, so I can not get to the settings where I can factory reset the TV.
I tried the unplug TV, push Up arrow, push Power button on side of TV without luck, it just restarts Android.

How can do this factory reset?

Thanks

I have the Logitech Ultimate. It is the TV that does not respond to Home command, no matter from which remote!!!

How can I factory reset the TV if Home command is not working?
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...3,96010,96174/

Try this maybe?

Last edited by davej948; 03-27-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #10000 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
940c Users Settings: Viper32 / Shootout / CCsoftball7 / nobrien1 Contributions

If ya would like to try, a spreadsheet with settings I am sure will go well with the 940D. If you like things a little Vivid with POP try my settings. Congrats on the New set.
Regarding a post you previously put here on AVM regarding the Sony 940D set

"If you like things a little Vivid with POP try my settings"

Where can I find that to look at or download? I've looked everywhere. I just bought this set and am looking for any helpful recommendations on setting up the best possible picture. I would love to optimize it for hockey, but I'd be more than happy just to make the general every day viewing better.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
post #10001 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej948 View Post
Hey just so we arent collectively ignoring you... :-D

1) I don't see any reason to use enhanced mode if your hdmi source doesn't output HDR/4k. I wouldn't be surprised if that mode (while it shouldn't) is causing handshake issues with your device and hence your problems.

2) I use hdmi arc with little problem at all, but in researching it this isn't the case for a lot of folks. Apparently it's glitchy. Double check your receiver is set up for arc control. I have a cheap Sony HTCT150 and it gives the option for both ARC and HDMI control in the receiver itself. I've only experienced issues once with ARC... One morning I turned the TV on and no sound. But otherwise it works as advertised. If you don't mind using another remote or the IR blaster optical may be a better solution for you.

3) Pixelating, in my experience, is almost always a source issue. Bandwidth or Antenna signal....

I'm no super guru but at least this is a place to start!

Thanks very much for the reply.

Regarding your reply "Double check your receiver is set up for arc control. I have a cheap Sony HTCT150 and it gives the option for both ARC and HDMI control in the receiver itself"
I have a Sony HT-NT5 soundbar. Do you know exactly what setting I should be looking for on the soundbar and what I should change it to? Is it either ARC or HDMI? I'm sure it's a similar setting than what you have being they are both soundbars from Sony.

And I"m assuming when you say there's no need to use "enhanced" mode for the cable box HDMI connection on the TV, I'm almost positive the cable I pay for does NOT put out any type of 4K signal would it? That's not normally possible today right? Would that be the only time you would use "enhanced" on an HDMI port? When something like an ultra 4K Blueray player is hooked up to it or one of the newer game consoles that supposedly can put that type of signal out? So what I'm understanding is that the TV signal most people get that comes into their house, usually from a cable box, there would be no benefit to putting the reviving HDMI port on the TV that it's going into at "enhanced" mode right? Is there any type of cable provider, wether some kind of dish network or in my case, a cable provider like Optimum that puts there TV programming out with a 4K signal?

Sorry for sound stupid, I'm new to a lot of this. I'm also looking for recommendations on the best settings to change on the TV not only for sports, but for general every day viewing, where would I find this? I see some people say to take a look at the spreadsheet they posted, but I can't seem to find anything or where anything like that is.

Thanks again for all of your help.
reinhart73 likes this.
post #10002 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Enhanced is used for 4K HDR and the higher dynamic range it carries.
post #10003 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Enhanced is used for 4K HDR and the higher dynamic range it carries.
So I'm assuming that a cable box that provides your TV programming and the signal coming from that box is DEFINITELY DOES NOT put out or provide that type of signal correct? What does? Just things like Ultra 4K Blueray players, things like that? I would hope in the future we'd be able to subscribe to something like cable TV and they would be able to provide us with that type of signal and programming. I'm not positive, but I'm assuming that most cable TV providers do not give you that today and more likely only give you either 720 or "maybe" some 1080i. Thx.
post #10004 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much for the reply.

Regarding your reply "Double check your receiver is set up for arc control. I have a cheap Sony HTCT150 and it gives the option for both ARC and HDMI control in the receiver itself"
I have a Sony HT-NT5 soundbar. Do you know exactly what setting I should be looking for on the soundbar and what I should change it to? Is it either ARC or HDMI? I'm sure it's a similar setting than what you have being they are both soundbars from Sony.

And I"m assuming when you say there's no need to use "enhanced" mode for the cable box HDMI connection on the TV, I'm almost positive the cable I pay for does NOT put out any type of 4K signal would it? That's not normally possible today right? Would that be the only time you would use "enhanced" on an HDMI port? When something like an ultra 4K Blueray player is hooked up to it or one of the newer game consoles that supposedly can put that type of signal out? So what I'm understanding is that the TV signal most people get that comes into their house, usually from a cable box, there would be no benefit to putting the reviving HDMI port on the TV that it's going into at "enhanced" mode right? Is there any type of cable provider, wether some kind of dish network or in my case, a cable provider like Optimum that puts there TV programming out with a 4K signal?

Sorry for sound stupid, I'm new to a lot of this. I'm also looking for recommendations on the best settings to change on the TV not only for sports, but for general every day viewing, where would I find this? I see some people say to take a look at the spreadsheet they posted, but I can't seem to find anything or where anything like that is.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Hey don't feel stupid about this there's a lot of info!

I don't know of any cable company that puts out 4k/HDR but I'm sure it's around the corner. I use the enhanced mode on xbox one S, and it gives me 4k Blu Ray and some of its apps (ie. Netflix) are in HDR. Without using the enhanced mode hdmi you don't get the 4k/HDR because the Xbox doesn't recognize the TV as hdr capable until you select enhanced- that means the Xbox and TV are communicating and it might explain why your device isn't happy with the TV in enhanced mode.

As far as my receiver, in the "amp menu" I have "SET HDMI" with "ARC" "PASS THRU" and "HDMI CTRL". The options for each of those are "On" or "Off". Since I use bravia sync I have both arc and hdmi ctrl set to on.

Hope that helps....

Oh and mileage varies but I use antenna inputs and for sports I have it on the factory default settings and it looks excellent to me. I haven't tried the football mode yet.

Last edited by davej948; 03-27-2017 at 10:02 PM.
post #10005 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej948 View Post
Hey don't feel stupid about this there's a lot of info!

I don't know of any cable company that puts out 4k/HDR but I'm sure it's around the corner. I use the enhanced mode on xbox one S, and it gives me 4k Blu Ray and some of its apps (ie. Netflix) are in HDR. Without using the enhanced mode hdmi you don't get the 4k/HDR because the Xbox doesn't recognize the TV as hdr capable until you select enhanced- that means the Xbox and TV are communicating and it might explain why your device isn't happy with the TV in enhanced mode.

As far as my receiver, in the "amp menu" I have "SET HDMI" with "ARC" "PASS THRU" and "HDMI CTRL". The options for each of those are "On" or "Off". Since I use bravia sync I have both arc and hdmi ctrl set to on.

Hope that helps....

Oh and mileage varies but I use antenna inputs and for sports I have it on the factory default settings and it looks excellent to me. I haven't tried the football mode yet.

Great, thanks again for your help and information. I assumed I could somehow get it to work with my cable to TV connection in "enhanced" mode because it seems like it wants to once I change the setting to that after it reboots, but as I said I only get picture and sound for about 10 to 15 seconds before the sound cuts out. Regarding "enhanced", am I to assume that if I have it on the "standard" setting, even if I pick a show on Netflix or Amazon that says HDR/4K and it DOES play, that it's not playing in true HDR? For instance I know in "standard" mode, If I go to the TV's Amazon Video app and play the HDR/4K version of Man in the HIgh Castle, I do see the episode picked, although it is a lot "darker" and not what you would think an improved HDR picture would look like. Probably why I was disappointed when I watched it.

On the other issue, I will try and find those settings in my HT-NT5 soundbar and will let you know if I got it to work or not.

Thanks again and have a good night.

KevLev
post #10006 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks again for your help and information. I assumed I could somehow get it to work with my cable to TV connection in "enhanced" mode because it seems like it wants to once I change the setting to that after it reboots, but as I said I only get picture and sound for about 10 to 15 seconds before the sound cuts out. Regarding "enhanced", am I to assume that if I have it on the "standard" setting, even if I pick a show on Netflix or Amazon that says HDR/4K and it DOES play, that it's not playing in true HDR? For instance I know in "standard" mode, If I go to the TV's Amazon Video app and play the HDR/4K version of Man in the HIgh Castle, I do see the episode picked, although it is a lot "darker" and not what you would think an improved HDR picture would look like. Probably why I was disappointed when I watched it.

On the other issue, I will try and find those settings in my HT-NT5 soundbar and will let you know if I got it to work or not.

Thanks again and have a good night.

KevLev
If you are using the built in TV app and you've selected 4k content, it will display in 4k. On Netflix, you need to pay for an upgraded account. The TV will switch to HDR mode in the action menu it will say "Picture mode HDR video" if you are getting HDR. For 4k in the Netflix app press display on the remote and look for "video/ xx. Xx Mbps 2160" which indicates a higher resolution. You may see it profess from 480 to 720 to 2160....

If you are selecting 4k/hdr content on another device/set top box, you have to have hdmi on enhanced mode.

post #10007 of 13204 Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 PM

Watching hockey question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post
I have a P75 and watch hockey nightly (I'm a fanatic Kings season ticket holder). I have never seen that degree of banding on my set. Also keep in mind that's a very off-center video.
I noticed on one of your posts about your Sony 940D that you watch a lot of hockey. That's one of the big reasons we upgraded our TV for I'm a HUGE Rangers fan. Can I ask you to reply with suggested settings such as motion flow and things like that for the best possible picture when watching these guys play on the ice?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

KevLev
post #10008 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
I noticed on one of your posts about your Sony 940D that you watch a lot of hockey. That's one of the big reasons we upgraded our TV for I'm a HUGE Rangers fan. Can I ask you to reply with suggested settings such as motion flow and things like that for the best possible picture when watching these guys play on the ice?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

KevLev
KevLev, I just read through all your posts with davej948. I think he's got you covered, but here's a few more comments.

HDMI enhanced v standard. The standard setting is primarily for older devices. A lot of older devices don't work so well with the HDMI handshake in enhanced mode. Some non 4k devices work fine with enhanced mode, and if they do that is the setting I'd recommend. I say that because prior to getting my UHD BRD player I had my old Oppo 93 player connected. In standard mode I noticed a lot of grainy noise in very bright objects. I tried switching to enhanced and it got rid of most of that noise and looked much better. The only devices that require enhanced mode are 4k HDR sources, but if enhanced doesn't cause any problems with a non 4k HDR device then I would just use enhanced. In your situation it sounds like your cable box doesn't handle enhanced well so you should stick with standard.

To ARC or not to ARC: I've never needed to use ARC before getting this set so I'm not an ARC expert, but I've learned a lot about it and I got it working in my set up.

It seems what causes the most issues with ARC set ups are cable/sat boxes. For some reason they don't like HDMI control and the result is they they wreak havoc on the ARC. This can be remedied though. In your cable box settings there may be an option to turn HDMI control (HDMI CEC) on/off. If your box has such a setting, turn it OFF. That should fix your ARC problems. I struggled with ARC on my old DirecTv DVR, it did not have that option. I recently upgraded to their new 4k DVR and receivers and discovered they had added that option. It did the trick and I haven't experienced any problems with ARC since.

There is another solution if your cable box doesn't have an on/off setting for HDMI Control/CEC. Google "HDMI CEC Less Adapter". It's a little adapter that strips out or blocks HDMI Control info. Several on here use those. I think they're $10-$15.

If none of that helps, or you don't want to go through the hassle you can just use an optical cable instead. The ARC on the Sony only supports Lossy DD 5.1/DTS, same as the optical. So you wouldn't lose anything by using an optical cable instead of ARC. You'll need to check the settings to get the best sound over optical. I'm not sure what they are.

Picture Quality and Settings: As said by davej948 in his responses and many others in this forum, source quality has a huge impact. Cable PQ can vary greatly from channel to channel. This is because some channels get compressed more than others. Typically premium movie channels look the best.

I highly recommend different picture modes for sports and normal programming. AustinJerry has calibration equipment and has done us all a great service by posting a link to his settings in his signature. His settings work well for movies and normal programming.

I use a different settings for sports. One of the great things about this set is the configurability. I use the standard picture mode with tweaked settings for sports. The softness and graininess you describe sounds like its related to video compression so it may be difficult to improve, but there are some things you can try.

Within the picture settings go to the clarity page. To start set both noise reduction settings to off. Next set reality creation to manual. Then use slider. The purpose of reality creation is to bring out more detail in lower quality sources. Sliding it to the right will "add" detail, but you need to be careful because it will also add noise. Once you have a good trade off between detail and noise, then you can go to the noise reduction settings because these will soften the image if you set it too high. Start with digital noise reduction. See how Low and medium look. Low will be noisier but not near as soft as medium. You can try auto but I've found it softens the picture too much.

I would avoid the other NR setting, especially with hockey. I think it's called random? Play around with it and I'm sure you'll quickly see what I mean.

Motion Flow may also provide some benefit so you can try messing with that as well.

4k TV providers: I could be wrong AFAIK DirecTv and Did Network are the only pay TV providers that currently offer 4k programming. You can check with your provider, but if they do offer 4k, your current box would not support it.

As stated above I just upgraded to DirecTV's 4k equipment. They only have three 4k channels, but one is PPV and the other is for live events so really only one channel. Overall I've been very surprised with the new equipment. The UI is much faster than my old equipment, which is nice. Picture quality on all normal HD channels seems to be noticably improved, though it still does vary from channel to channel. When I got these 4k TV with my old DTV equipment, the best HD channels looked more like really good DVD and it went downhill from there. With the new equipment, on most channels HD looks like HD again. It was certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

I hope some of this helps.

post #10009 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by navidf View Post
My remote's Home button does not work, so I can not get to the settings where I can factory reset the TV.
I tried the unplug TV, push Up arrow, push Power button on side of TV without luck, it just restarts Android.

How can do this factory reset?

Thanks

I have the Logitech Ultimate. It is the TV that does not respond to Home command, no matter from which remote!!!

How can I factory reset the TV if Home command is not working?
Sorry, but you have me stumped, also considering that the harmony remote won't bring you back to the home screen either, hopefully someone else here can suggest a fix.

Sony XBR-75X940D, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo UDP-203 Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen), Sony PS3
PSB Stratus Silver Towers, PSB Stratus C5i Centre Channel, PSB Image S5 Surrounds, SVS SB-2000 x 2
Logitech Harmony Companion, Multiple Sonos gear, Synology NAS, Monster Power PowerCenter Surge
post #10010 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Has anyone on here watch Black Sails on Starz channel on their 940D? I was watching this, this weekend and got to say it is the best picture quality I have seen on broadcast 1080i tv. Looks great on the 940D. Check it out if you get a chance. I heard Furious 7 is coming out on 4K Blu-ray and it looks outstanding according to reviews! Always looking for great looking content to watch on this TV. Of course March Madness (live college basketball looks excellent too) !
Black Sails right now is probably my favorite tv series ever (putting Game of Thrones aside...) Season 1 & 2 were epic, and 3rd season was good. The visuals on the show are stunning and the 940 really does well with it. Love the blue skies when they are out on the open seas. Every time I watch an episode, the theme song stays in my head for a couple of days.

Note to those who don't have access to the Starz channel: Google Play has the 3 seasons available for purchase. The 940 can access all of it with the tv app.

Sony XBR-75X940D, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo UDP-203 Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen), Sony PS3
PSB Stratus Silver Towers, PSB Stratus C5i Centre Channel, PSB Image S5 Surrounds, SVS SB-2000 x 2
Logitech Harmony Companion, Multiple Sonos gear, Synology NAS, Monster Power PowerCenter Surge
post #10011 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
If you find the HDR settings a bit dark, (I do on much material) Change,
Black Adjust and Adv Contrast Enhancer to Medium for a lighter picture.
Motion Flow default is True Cinema, that OK. Use anything you prefer except Off.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC

Last edited by Sal1950; 04-23-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #10012 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Recently purchased floor model of 940D from BB, looked fine in store. Get it home and some banding/DSE going on pretty seriously in the no signal screen. Applied AustinJerry's settings, looked pretty damn great on BD content, cable content, etc. Now I'm getting paranoid and I'm picking up some banding in some content. Solid color screens seem to be brutal though. Is this normal for these units? I'm coming from a VT60.....so not sure what I should be accepting here as okay in the LCD world.

Looking at the image again...maybe even a dead pixel or three? Green blob on right portion of screen? Didn't even see that last night. These things don't appear to be consistent with normal content viewing.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2054985  
post #10013 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
If you find the HDR settings a big dark, (I do on much material) Change,
Black Adjust and Adv Contast Enhancer to Medium for a lighter picture.
Motion Flow default is True Cinema, that OK. Use anything you prefer except Off.
You might want to increase gamma before messing with black adjust and adv contrast enhancer

post #10014 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinbeast View Post
Recently purchased floor model of 940D from BB, looked fine in store. Get it home and some banding/DSE going on pretty seriously in the no signal screen. Applied AustinJerry's settings, looked pretty damn great on BD content, cable content, etc. Now I'm getting paranoid and I'm picking up some banding in some content. Solid color screens seem to be brutal though. Is this normal for these units? I'm coming from a VT60.....so not sure what I should be accepting here as okay in the LCD world.

Looking at the image again...maybe even a dead pixel or three? Green blob on right portion of screen? Didn't even see that last night. These things don't appear to be consistent with normal content viewing.....
That is certainly a poor panel. I would return or exchange.
post #10015 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

If that's what you're seeing on solid colored screens then I would consider a replacement.

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
post #10016 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

My "no signal" screen looks similar, but when I display solid color screens, I don't see the same things. I haven't seen any vertical or horizontal banding in content, although I have seen some banding in gradation of shades, as depicted here:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/full...-HDR-Processor

I attribute that to the processor in our display and maybe compression in my satellite signal as well.
AustinJerry likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #10017 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11414 Post(s)
Liked: 6754
Quote:

There is something with the DirecTV "No Signal" screen that results in what looks like a terrible PQ. Before you make a final decision, I encourage you to use a test disk with some solid-color screens to compare. I have attached several screen shots below, one is the DirecTV screen, and the second is a solid color blue screen. The first looks bad like yours, but the second looks perfectly fine. This is from the same display, and I have posted many screen shots here that show that my display is close to flawless. But I don't judge it using the DirecTV screen, and you shouldn't either (and that goes for everyone else as well).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	2055657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2055665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2055673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2055681  
W Statman and Seryl like this.
post #10018 of 13204 Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
You might want to increase gamma before messing with black adjust and adv contrast enhancer

I find raising the gamma introduces gray looking blacks.
I find the increased black/contrast levels more to my liking.
I have AustinJerry color temps installed so that might effect things.
Balthezor is free to try both and see his preference.
YMMV
AVGeek99 likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #10019 of 13204 Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
There is something with the DirecTV "No Signal" screen that results in what looks like a terrible PQ. Before you make a final decision, I encourage you to use a test disk with some solid-color screens to compare. I have attached several screen shots below, one is the DirecTV screen, and the second is a solid color blue screen. The first looks bad like yours, but the second looks perfectly fine. This is from the same display, and I have posted many screen shots here that show that my display is close to flawless. But I don't judge it using the DirecTV screen, and you shouldn't either (and that goes for everyone else as well).
Thanks for the feedback all. Just to be clear, I believe the screen where we are all showing banding is not specific to a device but rather internal to the 940D. If you turn TV on and literally have no inputs connected that is the screen you would get. I will try the test colors as you suggested. For what its worth, stock display settings (vivid, cinema, etc) seem to show less banding on this screen. Austin's settings seem to reveal it a bit more, but as I mentioned on real content haven't noticed it and looks great.
post #10020 of 13204 Old 03-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I will try to make this short.

I purchased my 940D Oct. 2016. I have a very good panel. A couple weeks before I purchased I was looking at the 940D that was in BB. It was beautiful. Last week I was at the same store and went to see if they had a 940E yet. They still had the 940D up. I asked the guy that sold my tv to me if that was the same TV that was up when I bought mine and he said that one was up since June or July.

As I was talking with him I noticed that the tv had pretty serious banding on the same 4k demos that were perfect in late Sept/Oct when I started shopping for mine.

I have seen a few people in this thread mention the banding that has developed in their TV and got a different panel. My issue is this: I do not watch a ton of TV as my 2012 Sammy plasma is 4.5 yrs old and has 3100 hrs on it as of last week. My concern is that I do NOT have an extended warranty and if the banding starts it may not manifest itself till past my year if at all. Did not know of the Costco warranty till past the date I could of purchased one. I figured if the BB display was in there since June it probably has around 2500 hrs using some basic math.

I make an ok living but certainly cannot buy a new $4k tv every 2 years. I usually am on a 5yr upgrade path.

I am not going to look at every square inch on mine to find something but the display at BB was very noticeably worse. I would have never purchased mine if the display at bb looked anywhere like it did last week.

Have people that have had the tv for 6 months or more that watch it heavily seen any degradation of the picture quality?
NUPE009 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page