Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 379 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #11341 of 13191 Old 07-16-2017, 12:21 PM
PMA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, since the last update, the TV has not rebooted so this appears to be resolved. I now have a new issue ask about. The wired connection for internet connectivity is not working. I checked the cable and it functions with a laptop with no issues. Not sure why the TV keeps telling me that it cannot connect. Any others had this issue and is there a fix?

In the meantime, I am connecting wirelessly but would like to get this fixed.

Cheers,
Paul
Just to update this thread, the TV rebooted on its own yesterday and after that, the wired connection was detected and is working. Still seems odd that the TV will reboot on occasion for no particular reason but at least it fixed my connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 13191 Old 07-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Just to update this thread, the TV rebooted on its own yesterday and after that, the wired connection was detected and is working. Still seems odd that the TV will reboot on occasion for no particular reason but at least it fixed my connection.
Did you perform a factory reset, or did you just update the firmware?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #11343 of 13191 Old 07-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Yes that is the product.
I've found it to be the best all around glass cleaner I've ever used. Cleans fast and is totally streak free when it's used as directed.
Try it on the inside of your truck windows.
Sorry to resurrect the whole screen cleaning discussion, but this definitely bears mentioning.

I ordered a bunch of the MicroFiber cloths as well as the InvisibleGlass you recommended. I was about to clean all my TV's with it, as well as my iPad and phone, but then I decided to check on the product's official site. This is important: Apparently the word from the official sits is that this product is NOT intended for use on ANY kind of LCD/Plasma screen.

Can I use Invisible Glass on my flat screen TV? Invisible Glass is not formulated for use on your electronics. These include your LCD and plasma television, mobile phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop computer screens.

Quote:
Can I use Invisible Glass on my flat screen TV?

Invisible Glass is not formulated for use on your electronics. These include your LCD and plasma television, mobile phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop computer screens.
The word on alcohol and vinegar seems to be somewhat debated. Some sites say yes to one or the other or both being mixed with water, and other sites seem to say no to one, the other, or both. Not sure where that leaves me, except that I think maybe I need to take the advice of Thor2 and a few others and just go with distilled water and lint free cloths for my tablets, phones, TV's, and laptops.

On the plus side, I have zero buyer's remorse for Invisible Glass, because for the products it is intended for, it may be the single greatest glass cleaner I have ever seen. I used it on my glass coffee table as well as the glass doors on my entertainment system, mirrors, and a ton of other stuff. So even though its no good for the above mentioned devices, its still an awesome product.

Anyway, the main reason I posted this was to suggest that anyone using this on their LCD screens or mobile devices stop doing so immediately.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 07-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11344 of 13191 Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Anyway, the main reason I posted this was to suggest that anyone using this on their LCD screens or mobile devices stop doing so immediately.
There's good reason for that warning against using it on any type of electronics. Because some idiot will spray a load on letting it run down into the circuits and causing who knows what havoc. "I didn't know it would hurt anything, you never warned me, I'm gonna sue.."

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #11345 of 13191 Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
There's good reason for that warning against using it on any type of electronics. Because some idiot will spray a load on letting it run down into the circuits and causing who knows what havoc. "I didn't know it would hurt anything, you never warned me, I'm gonna sue.."
Sal, you may very well be absolutely right. But my impression based on questions asked on Amazon as well as the warning given on the Invisible Glass site, gave is that whatever chemicals are in the formula, may not be suitable for these not-completely-glass screens of our TV's, monitors, laptops, and mobile devices. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

And to be honest, for the last 20+ years (more if you count my old black and white 386 laptop), I have been cleaning LCD/Plasma screens with Windex every few days and have never had a single problem EVER. And I sprayed the **** right on the screen lol. So this leads me to believe that your observation about cleaners overflowing into the circuit board being the only real danger may be 100% correct.

Where that leaves me, with my Windex, Invisible Glass, empty spray bottles, distilled water, vinegar, and alcohol.....I have absolutely no idea!
hydrotex likes this.
post #11346 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM
PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej948 View Post
Did you perform a factory reset, or did you just update the firmware?

Neither. The TV just rebooted on its own for some reason and then my wired connection was recognized and functional. I am running the latest FW after updating a few weeks ago.
post #11347 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Neither. The TV just rebooted on its own for some reason and then my wired connection was recognized and functional. I am running the latest FW after updating a few weeks ago.
Right. I mean to say, when you updated the firmware, did you also perform a factory reset? I'm wondering because since I performed a reset with that new firmware I haven't seen a reboot. *knock on wood*

post #11348 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM
PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej948 View Post
Right. I mean to say, when you updated the firmware, did you also perform a factory reset? I'm wondering because since I performed a reset with that new firmware I haven't seen a reboot. *knock on wood*

I did not do a factor reset. Not sure how to do that, please explain. If the TV reboots itself again, I may try that to see if it resolves this type of thing.
post #11349 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
I did not do a factor reset. Not sure how to do that, please explain. If the TV reboots itself again, I may try that to see if it resolves this type of thing.
From page 22 of the user guide:

How to reset the TV to factory settings:

Turn on the TV. You can reset the TV to factory settings by pressing HOME, then select [Settings]  [Storage & reset]  [Factory data reset].
WARNING: The reset will clear all of your customized settings including the [Parental lock] setting.
post #11350 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM
PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
From page 22 of the user guide:

How to reset the TV to factory settings:

Turn on the TV. You can reset the TV to factory settings by pressing HOME, then select [Settings]  [Storage & reset]  [Factory data reset].
WARNING: The reset will clear all of your customized settings including the [Parental lock] setting.
Thanks for the reply. Will the reset affect the TV calibration?
post #11351 of 13191 Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Will the reset affect the TV calibration?
Well, yes. You will need to re-enter any customized settings. This is a minor inconvenience, compared with living with an issue like spontaneous reboots. Make sure you have your setttings written down before proceeding.
post #11352 of 13191 Old 07-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamitabh View Post
I am having the same issue. I called Sony 2 weeks ago and they asked me to do a hard reset. I did that and problem went away for a few days. But now it is back. Wondering of this more an Android TV App problem when I add more apps, etc. I had also updated the TV to Marshmallow.

Thoughts?
Sorry if I answer only now

If you have the same problem, Sony will replace your TV. If the problem isn't persistent make sure to have a video of the moment when the issue appear.

My situation:
Sony replace my first X940D for vertical banding;

My second TV had this problem: http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v124078667kSP6n2K6

After another month Sony accepted to replace the second TV. They told that my situation was serious and not acceptable so they will give me a NEW (not refurbished) X940D or X940E for "customer satisfaction".

Now let's talk about this third X940D. When the TV arrived the tech assured me again that this was a NEW TV but I told him "the quality of the display looks like the first TV". After some hours I still have this idea so I controlled the serial number aaaaand IT WAS MY FIRST X940D!!!!

It's truly scandalous for a brand like Sony, disgusting! Let see what will happen.
post #11353 of 13191 Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenormand View Post

If you have the same problem, Sony will replace your TV. If the problem isn't persistent make sure to have a video of the moment when the issue appear.

My situation:

My second TV had this problem: http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v124078667kSP6n2K6

After another month Sony accepted to replace the second TV. They told that my situation was serious and not acceptable so they will give me a NEW (not refurbished) X940D or X940E for "customer satisfaction".

Now let's talk about this third X940D. When the TV arrived the tech assured me again that this was a NEW TV but I told him "the quality of the display looks like the first TV". After some hours I still have this idea so I controlled the serial number aaaaand IT WAS MY FIRST X940D!!!!

It's truly scandalous for a brand like Sony, disgusting! Let see what will happen.
Wow, that is eye-opening and disheartening, not to mention sleazy. How was this packaged? Please keep us updated.
post #11354 of 13191 Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
Wow, that is eye-opening and disheartening, not to mention sleazy. How was this packaged? Please keep us updated.
It was packaged like a new X940D but it hadn't the remote control and other accessories but they told me that this was normal and repeated that the TV was NEW.

ps: Im waiting for a call from Monday but nothing yet.
post #11355 of 13191 Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
It was packaged like a new X940D but it hadn't the remote control and other accessories but they told me that this was normal and repeated that the TV was NEW.

ps: Im waiting for a call from Monday but nothing yet.
This is the proverbial "horror story". Be sure that you point your anger at the appropriate people, though. Sony clearly deserves blame here because, at a minimum, their oversight isn't deep enough to prevent this sort of problem. But, if you're dealing with an "Authorized Reseller", or "Authorized Service Center" as the entity that's doing the swap, then they deserve to get blasted, too.
post #11356 of 13191 Old 07-20-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

My situation:

Wow, unbelievable. Keep us posted on what they do.
post #11357 of 13191 Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I used Windex on a beautiful 17" ViewSonic CRT monitor I spent way too much money on once in the late 90s. The chemicals in it absolutely destroyed the "anti-glare coating" on the glass ... it wiped right off before my eyes with the Windex. Ever since I use nothing but microfiber cloths, and if REALLY bad, "LCD Cleaner" on my (more recent) screens.
post #11358 of 13191 Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post
I used Windex on a beautiful 17" ViewSonic CRT monitor I spent way too much money on once in the late 90s. The chemicals in it absolutely destroyed the "anti-glare coating" on the glass ... it wiped right off before my eyes with the Windex. Ever since I use nothing but microfiber cloths, and if REALLY bad, "LCD Cleaner" on my (more recent) screens.
Yes I've heard these horror stories before and I completely agree with only using the minimal products needed. On my Sony here I've only used a micro fiber and once just a bit of water for a finger print. But there are times and situations where something a little stronger is needed. (got kids in the house?). In the times that has happened to me I found Invisible Glass a great product that leaves behind zero residue.
YMMV.

BTW, back in the 90s-early 2000s I was still a heavy smoker running and running CRT's at the time as we all were. I had dual computer monitors, a 26" ViewSonic and and a 26" Acer. Cigarette smoke was attracted to CRT's like a magnet and stuck like glue. I washed those CRT's once a week or so with about every strong home cleaner you can think of and never had anything wash off them. While still smoking in the early days of LCD I used IG when needed with complete success.
USE CAUTION, YMMV

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #11359 of 13191 Old 07-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Well, yes. You will need to re-enter any customized settings. This is a minor inconvenience, compared with living with an issue like spontaneous reboots. Make sure you have your setttings written down before proceeding.
Hi @AustinJerry. I thought you and others here might enjoy this. We've all heard the many complaints about the X940D having issues with streaking, smearing, etc. Watching todays latest Home Theater Geeks video where at CE they compared all the very top (expensive!) 2017 LCD & OLED and broadcast reference monitor TV's. At 45:00 into the video Joel Silver makes the statement that "those who grew up on CRT and Plasma, all current products have motion artifacts, all have difficulties with fast motion, nothing is perfect".
Humm, I think we said something like this a few times. LOL
Cheers Everyone.
Good video on the current TV SOTA
Quick access link to 45:00 for the lazy.
Seryl likes this.

post #11360 of 13191 Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Hi @AustinJerry. I thought you and others here might enjoy this. We've all heard the many complaints about the X940D having issues with streaking, smearing, etc. Watching todays latest Home Theater Geeks video where at CE they compared all the very top (expensive!) 2017 LCD & OLED and broadcast reference monitor TV's. At 45:00 into the video Joel Silver makes the statement that "those who grew up on CRT and Plasma, all current products have motion artifacts, all have difficulties with fast motion, nothing is perfect".
Humm, I think we said something like this a few times. LOL
Cheers Everyone.
Very interesting and informative stuff, thank you. As someone who came from a plasma TV to the 940D there was and is a period of adjustment going on as to motion artifacts. That said I don't notice them all that much or maybe I'm not sensitive to them, dunno really. Last night I had a chance to compare the UHD version to the regular blu-ray of King Kong (2005) as played on a Sony X800. The difference was very apparent, the 4K HDR was truly glorious. Detail, color, contrast - everything was better. This was the most difference I've seen when doing this type of comparison. I don't have many UHD discs yet so I expect to be seeing more of it as my collection grows. Love HDR and this set.
post #11361 of 13191 Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Asked before but never got an answer.

Is the 940d capable of running 120fps for gaming at 1080p? I know some Sony sets are able to select 120fps in the desktop and force the TV to do it, but I don't want to damage my set and would like to know if the 940d is capable of doing it.

-Hawkmoon
post #11362 of 13191 Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Is the 940d capable of running 120fps for gaming at 1080p? I know some Sony sets are able to select 120fps in the desktop and force the TV to do it, but I don't want to damage my set and would like to know if the 940d is capable of doing it.
I have not run my pc on the TV in a while but I believe I had to set up a custom resolution for 1080p/120. It was accepted.
post #11363 of 13191 Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Dumb question.

If I connect devices (4k Bluray player and PS4) to my TV via HDMI and my TV is connected to Sonos Playbar and 5.1 setup via optical, when I use my PS4 or play 4k movies, I will still get 5.1 surround sound correct? I do not need an AV receiver?

I keep hearing that most TV's won't pass Dolby Digital (DD) 5.1 surround from HDMI to the digital/optical audio, which can be an issue for Sonos and other soundbars that don't have HDMI.
post #11364 of 13191 Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hey guys to give you an update on my current that died on me. I went and got the new 940E and there's a big improvement on 940E over 940D with the exception of 3D(I didn't really care for). I did not have any horizontal banding, no ghosting and the tv is snappier with the X1 extreme CPU in it. hopefully sony fix the Horizontal banding in HDR mode soon for you guys. Good luck!
post #11365 of 13191 Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Yes, but the TV artifacts at any refresh rate over 100Hz at 1080p. The artifacts are the most noticeable on a full black screen.
post #11366 of 13191 Old 07-25-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaraby View Post
Yes, but the TV artifacts at any refresh rate over 100Hz at 1080p. The artifacts are the most noticeable on a full black screen.

Are you asking about console gaming or computer booking up to tv? If console game most are capped at 30fps 60fps usually go to shooters. What you should be worrying about is input lag on the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11367 of 13191 Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, I developed some vertical banding. I tried to ignore it, but couldn't for the price. Sony is replacing it with the 940E. I wanted them to fix or replace with another D, but they're out of the 2016's and didn't want to swap the panel. I can't fault them though and it's nice they're giving me the new version.

I was going to sell the 940e and buy a 75"z9 mainly for 3d watching, but just decided to buy one of their 4k projectors and finish up my theater room and keep the 940e for normal tv watching.

I wonder how big a difference the picture quality will be. Hopefully, the 940e doesn't blow it out of the water. I'm going to make it pitch black and paint the ceiling and walls black to help as much as possible.
post #11368 of 13191 Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I am getting worried about the number of 940D's going out. I have 3 months of warranty left on mine. Did not get an extended warranty !
post #11369 of 13191 Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post
Are you asking about console gaming or computer booking up to tv? If console game most are capped at 30fps 60fps usually go to shooters. What you should be worrying about is input lag on the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any 120Hz input signal will cause artifacting on this panel. The panel may technically be able to do 120Hz and even higher at 1920x1080, but it starts artifacting after 100Hz. I've tested higher refresh rates than 120Hz and the artifacting becomes unbearable.
post #11370 of 13191 Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I am on the latest PKG3.885.0137NAB firmware. Netflix and Amazon HDR work correctly.

Just to confirm, do our TV's not have a Youtube app capable of displaying / decoding HDR content?

If I select a 4K HDR video, I just get 4K, but not HDR. I've tried the official youtube channel here so I know the content is true HDR: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...FNipzeAGBI5t9g

If our native app doesn't support HDR has anyone successfully side loaded a youtube app that will allow HDR to play on our TV's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page