Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17125Likes

post #1141 of 13143 Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Also, update for everyone regarding my TV replacement. Sony called today to ask about the picture I sent and to see if I could take a better one.to show the issue
.. I decided not to play around with that and wait any longer for a replacemwnt. I called the supervisor at the magnolia store and he got me a replacement scheduled for delivery this Friday! I guess when you spend $6500 they treat you like royalty

Also, put my inception bluray in tonight, and wow, regular BDs upscale so well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 13143 Old 05-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
Wow, that did the trick, you are the man! Though, I have to say, I did not like the HDR Video settings you suggestedseemed to overly contrast the picture and over saturate colors almost like a Vivid mode! Unless I did something wrong there. So far I find the standard HDR Video to be spot on for the X940D, but -2 Gamma, that, and turning off Cinemotion
Well, you do have a different set. My settings are the original HDR settings on the 940C ecxept Cinemotion off.

It was still juddering, I jumped the gun when I said it was fixed before seeing a pan shot. I found the medium setting "great for movie based sources" along with True Cinema on for smoothness did the trick 99%. Odd how these settings are in every Sony, including my W850B, yet they seem to vary slightly set to set on how they perform.
post #1143 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp View Post
I have the Sony 940C and the Vizio P75-C I can say both sets are really good. I will say each set has it pro's and con's.

The Sony has the best motion of any set out there. The colors are nice and the HDR is good to very good. Sports look good on it but there is some blur.

The Vizio has a very very good picture also 1080P and up is sharp and beautiful looking 1080i look's just a TAD bit softer but notching up sharpness a few notches solves it. 720P and 480P is not great on the Vizio and Sony trumps it there 1000% I hope a firmware update can at least improve it...

Dolby Vision on Vudu is stunning and I say for my eye is better then HDR is on my Sony with UHD Bluray Discs. The colors pop the picture is just very dynamic more so then with HDR 10

Remember the Sony can reach a 1000+ peak but in small areas of the screen The Vizio will not do 1000 nits but has a brighter WHOLE screen nit Dynamic. It makes the whole picture jump out at ya.

Also as Joe Cane said we do not need full screen 1000+ nit screens to do HDR right. What we need is at least 10 bit but better to have 12 bit or more panels and a quality standard for mastering HDR that's followed by everyone and he thinks SDR 10 bit could be better then HDR10 or Dolby Vision...Time will tell.............
Tj8xp
How do the black levels -- blooming, clouding, etc. compare? I think most members here would be interested in hearing some comments about that. There is still some concern about how well the 940D performs in the dark. Thanks.
GunmetalR56 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I had something weird happen the last 2 nights after the set has been on for the evening, probably 5 hours of watching TV. The set is on every night for about this same time since we got it a few weeks ago.
I shut it off and i hear clicking and last night the TV was in complete dark and i could see very faint light flashing on the top of the screen. I turn the TV back on and wait a min then turn it off and it stops.
Anyone else notice anything like that?
I plan on trying to get a video if it happens tonight or the next time.
I wonder if it's something to do with 3d as that was the 1st time i watched a 3d movie.
Pretty concerned about this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #1145 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
How do the black levels -- blooming, clouding, etc. compare? I think most members here would be interested in hearing some comments about that. There is still some concern about how well the 940D performs in the dark. Thanks.
Disclaimer- I'm a P75 owner and still within my return window. I'm not a fanboy of any company and looking at the 940D as an alternative.

That being said, the P75 does an amazing job on black levels. Coming from a die hard plasma guy, I was blown away. DV does look amazing but I suspect in a "blind taste test" you'll be hard pressed to see much of a difference in a well displayed HDR10 with the 940D. I'm still debating on a 940D over the P series. From what I've read on the 940D and my experience with the P, both sets are great performers each with its strengths. I haven't laid my eyes on the 940D, but I have with the C and was really impressed.

No doubt, motion is an issue with the P series for eyes, but not for all content. It's not a deal breaker yet, but it's there. I see it most on slow panning of landscape scenes in movies. The firmware update should be here within 60 days so I have to gamble on keeping the set and hoping the FW fixes the little bugs or go with the 940d. Only on the P75 (not smaller sizes) has the issue of screen tearing, which I have experienced too. But very little P75 owners are having this issue (unlike me) where the screen has a processing issue showing a quick line/blip down the middle during a flashing or fast light flicker scene (my experience). Vizio said they are aware and have a fix coming. But that's the main reason I'm considering a switch. I know the Sony has some slight issues too, but nothing I've read that would have me return the set over except for physical damage of course.

Owners on this forum are early adopters and let's face it, bugs need to get tested in the real world and worked out from there. Both companies seem to have great customer service and I would bet updates from them would correct their respective issues.

My hesitation on the 940D isn't with display, it's with the audio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 940D can't do DD+. That's what I'm truly enjoying in my setup with casting/streaming of BD/UHD/HDR/DV content. My setup doesn't allow for atmos, but I would hate to lose other audio options.

Edit: I have no issue or experience with blooming or clouding. But I do get slight vertical banding (barely noticed in a hockey game) but nothing that stood out to me.
prpolo likes this.

Vizio P75-C1
Yamaha RX-A1040
5.1- Def-Tech STS towers, mythos 10 center, mythos gem rears, super cube sub
PS3
Roku 4k
Xfinity X1

Last edited by Spine Guy; 05-05-2016 at 07:29 AM.
post #1146 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
I have the Sony 940C and the Vizio P75-C I can say both sets are really good. I will say each set has it pro's and con's.

The Sony has the best motion of any set out there. The colors are nice and the HDR is good to very good. Sports look good on it but there is some blur.

The Vizio has a very very good picture also 1080P and up is sharp and beautiful looking 1080i look's just a TAD bit softer but notching up sharpness a few notches solves it. 720P and 480P is not great on the Vizio and Sony trumps it there 1000% I hope a firmware update can at least improve it...

Dolby Vision on Vudu is stunning and I say for my eye is better then HDR is on my Sony with UHD Bluray Discs. The colors pop the picture is just very dynamic more so then with HDR 10

Remember the Sony can reach a 1000+ peak but in small areas of the screen The Vizio will not do 1000 nits but has a brighter WHOLE screen nit Dynamic. It makes the whole picture jump out at ya.

Also as Joe Cane said we do not need full screen 1000+ nit screens to do HDR right. What we need is at least 10 bit but better to have 12 bit or more panels and a quality standard for mastering HDR that's followed by everyone and he thinks SDR 10 bit could be better then HDR10 or Dolby Vision...Time will tell.............

Tj8xp
Any chance you can post some A/B pics of similar content on both sets?
post #1147 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just took the leap and ordered one. I was losing too much productivity at work monitoring this board so I figured I would just take the plunge. Ordered through Cleveland. seemed like a fair deal.

I will give you guys a report- with zero agendas.
post #1148 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer4 View Post
I just took the leap and ordered one. I was losing too much productivity at work monitoring this board so I figured I would just take the plunge. Ordered through Cleveland. seemed like a fair deal.

I will give you guys a report- with zero agendas.
Congrats! Looking forward to your comments.

I reported earlier on a delivery issue. After 5 days, it was not resolved but I did get a refund. And my second try is scheduled for May 11th with White Glove Delivery Service. Wish me luck.

Question - I decided to try the Marantz 1607 (new slim model). I am not an audiophile, but not opposed to ordering something else if this was a real boneheaded move. Thanks.
post #1149 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I received my 940D on Monday and I am loving it. I have not played much but set it to Cinema Home and Motion off so far. It's on the stand with a Lumiare (?) backlight. I suppose I need to investigate LED.

I came from Pioneer KRP-600 monitors that were professionally calibrated. I have two, one in a bedroom and the one I just replaced. (Got them end of market for half price). So my standards for near perfect - and heat and weight - are high. The 940D probably needs all kinds of adjustment and calibration but so far I am extremely satisfied. It's not quite as perfectly detailed as the Kuro, but neither is it seeing 4k source either, nor fully set up.

Last night was Tron: Legacy and Avatar in 3D. I have an OPPO 93, ordinary HDMI cable direct to the set. I need a new receiver to carry the 4k. To say the least I was extremely happy with the image. As was my wife - who really doesn't get interested in tech much.

I got 3ACTIVE glasses - but they have a top of screen black flicker that fades as it goes down. I picked up Sony glasses today to compare - and No flicker. I have an email to the vendor. Their glasses are rechargeable, a nice feature.

So, I am up to page 6 on this forum....I will slog through and try and participate. (while trying to figure out how to pay for this...)
post #1150 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Congrats! Looking forward to your comments.

I reported earlier on a delivery issue. After 5 days, it was not resolved but I did get a refund. And my second try is scheduled for May 11th with White Glove Delivery Service. Wish me luck.

Question - I decided to try the Marantz 1607 (new slim model). I am not an audiophile, but not opposed to ordering something else if this was a real boneheaded move. Thanks.
Doesn't Ken Ross have one of the slim Marantz models? He should be able to chime in.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1151 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Guy View Post

My hesitation on the 940D isn't with display, it's with the audio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 940D can't do DD+. That's what I'm truly enjoying in my setup with casting/streaming of BD/UHD/HDR/DV content. My setup doesn't allow for atmos, but I would hate to lose other audio options.
I can confirm that the 94O Does do DD+. I am currently watching Directv via RVU app and sending audio via optical to my Marantz 8802a and its receiving/playing DD+.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1425226  
brickyardz likes this.
post #1152 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Doesn't Ken Ross have one of the slim Marantz models? He should be able to chime in.
i have the nr1606. It's a great avr and does well with my Kef ls50 + r200c setup
post #1153 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
Any chance you can post some A/B pics of similar content on both sets?
I don't own either, but I've spent about an hour each at two different Best Buys recently comparing the two, so I'll chime in -

First off, it feels like Best Buy deliberately makes it difficult to do A/B comparisons of certain TVs on the same content. The Vizio P75 is locked into Vizio-demo mode, the LG OLEDs are off on an LG display showing LG provided content, and the 940D is set up in a different area with some home theater seating showing a Sony provided demo (though strangely it was two different Sony demos at the different stores, one was using the new one with the sushi, camping people, and Vegas, the other was using footage of cityscapes from Rome, Hong Kong, and a few others, but it also had Sony logos).

They tried to hook the P75 into the same feed as the rest of the wall, but to no avail, all they managed to do was lock it out of the Vizio-demo so that it only displayed a black screen. Since the Vizio reps have come by and locked the tablets into lucite coffins for display, there's no way to really play with the settings or adjust anything on that display.

After a side excursion where the Best Buy guy tried really hard to sell me on an X850D (him: "If you're looking in that price range, I have one that's a lot better than that Vizio, come see!" me: OK *leads me over to the 850D* him:"Check this out" *loads video game footage of some new Star Wars game* me:"Isn't this edge lit? I know the Vizio and the 940D are full array, I really want that" him: "This has Reality Creation, which means it has great black levels so you don't need full array, plus it covers 95% of the visual spectrum!" me:"Sorry, I'm not really interested in this one").

He did have a great idea though - since we couldn't get the Sony and the Vizio to show the general store loop, we could put a USB stick with the Vizio demo on the Sony. Since I'd already seen the Vizio loop many times I had a strong idea of how it looked. On the 940D it looked damn good, with the Lego Movie scene in particular looking better on the Sony than the Vizio (which is confusing for me, as the Vizio does Dolby Vision, the Sony doesn't, and I'm pretty sure that's a Dolby Vision clip, unless the one on his USB stick was just a SDR version). The Lego Movie clip in the demo reel on the Vizio is muted and lacks much pop, on the Sony the lights on the lego-car were brighter, the colors more intense, and overall it just looked better. I will say there was more detail in the flames and bullets on the Vizio though, perhaps the DV version is just set with a lower overall brightness to bring those details out?

I'm pretty sure the Sony was in Vivid torch mode, but they couldn't find a Sony TV remote, so I was using a Sony Receiver remote, which worked for the most part, but lacked any button that I could find to bring up the picture settings.

The two are pretty damn close in terms of picture quality from what I've seen. The Sony is a bit brighter, and seems to have more color pop, but since there's no way to adjust the settings (or even see what the settings are) on either of the P75s I've seen, that could easily just be how they've been set. I get that Vizio probably doesn't want people messing with the settings and leaving them all goofy, possibly ruining the experience for others, but they could program in a full-demo mode like LG does on their OLEDs - where you have full control over adjusting everything as long as you're playing with it, but the TV reverts back to its presets after a few minutes when you walk away.

From the photos I've seen in the P75 thread, the Vizio should be capable of some awesome color reproduction, and at home outside of store lights it should look plenty bright.

Neither was hooked up to the store regular TV feed, so no way to test motion or upscaling on regular content.
bruceames likes this.
post #1154 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5

Hi all...new to the forums here, but a recent owner of a 940d. Out of the box it is super impressive, but I'm curious where to find some of the 940c settings that many have mentioned using here as a calibration starting point? Any help would be appreciated.
post #1155 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelluccirx View Post
Hi all...new to the forums here, but a recent owner of a 940d. Out of the box it is super impressive, but I'm curious where to find some of the 940c settings that many have mentioned using here as a calibration starting point? Any help would be appreciated.
CCSoftball7 has the links in his signature, just click on them. He posts here and over in the 940C owners thread
post #1156 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 PM

So far the 940c settings don't work right on the 940d. They turn it into vivid mode. Try these settings in a custom profile when night viewing HDR content.

Brightness: 40
Color: 50-55 (until you can ISF calibrate, keep between here imo)
Light sensor off
Contrast: 75-80 (still perfecting but above 80 it gets washed out)
Gamma: -1 (seems to help with high contrast scenes, backing it down a notch or 2)
Black level: 50 (I've tried playing with this but 50 seems spot on)
Black adjust: off
Advance contrast enhancer: off
Auto local dimming: medium (high is better than it has been on my previous Sony fall but still brings some crush, still trying to fix the slight bloom from white text on black bars too)
X-tended Dynamic Range: High, always or your back light won't peak at 1000 nits it's capable of
Color temp: expert 1 (I didnnt mess with bias, just leftax defaults until proper calibrated)
Color space; auto or it gets weird
Live color: off unless you want that extra pop, do low, but it is technically not as natural looking, depends if your going for accuracy I suppose
Sharpness: 0
Reality creation: off
Noise reductions off
Motion: true cinema paired with medium or low cinematic seems to rove judder on 24p sources

I'll let you know June 11th what the ISF calibration settings are for colors and temp though they will be different on each set, they should be close.
kgraf18, Jammer4 and netguru76 like this.
post #1157 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5

Thank you, I'll try that as a foundation. Looking forward to seeing what the full results end up being next month!
post #1158 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys I would be more then happy to do a few test shots of both sets doing same images. What content would you like me to test with or what movie ect.

I will also say the blacks on the 940C I have are dead even with the P75 I have zero banding or bright corners no dead pixels no clouding at all on either set !!!

The thing that makes a big difference to my eyes is Dolby Vision I watched Pacific Rim on Vudu and it was a real treat to the eyes the colors are just unreal good.
The Sony looks great with the movie also but the Vizio Pops more..

Chime in on what content to take pictures of !!!!

Tj8xp
post #1159 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 PM

To clarify I did these settings by eye. The blooming is minimal on this set, the only way I found to get rid of it completely was to turn off local dimming which defeats the purpose. I'm not surprised some people do not even see it. I really only see it with bright white text next to black bars. Its just something you can't avoid with FALDS until we have 1000 zones with Sonys backlight master drive!
post #1160 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12

https://youtu.be/jLwfZEhD_38
Great comparison with lg oled. The lg is no where close as bright as the Sony.
post #1161 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Guys I would be more then happy to do a few test shots of both sets doing same images. What content would you like me to test with or what movie ect.

I will also say the blacks on the 940C I have are dead even with the P75 I have zero banding or bright corners no dead pixels no clouding at all on either set !!!

The thing that makes a big difference to my eyes is Dolby Vision I watched Pacific Rim on Vudu and it was a real treat to the eyes the colors are just unreal good.
The Sony looks great with the movie also but the Vizio Pops more..

Chime in on what content to take pictures of !!!!

Tj8xp
Maybe that's because Pacific Rim isn't available on HDR10?
post #1162 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jattsp View Post
https://youtu.be/jLwfZEhD_38
Great comparison with lg oled. The lg is no where close as bright as the Sony.
Not a fair comparison. That is a 2015 OLED model. They should have used a G6 or E6. Dumb
zAndy12 likes this.

post #1163 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post
I received my 940D on Monday and I am loving it. I have not played much but set it to Cinema Home and Motion off so far. It's on the stand with a Lumiare (?) backlight. I suppose I need to investigate LED.

I came from Pioneer KRP-600 monitors that were professionally calibrated. I have two, one in a bedroom and the one I just replaced. (Got them end of market for half price). So my standards for near perfect - and heat and weight - are high. The 940D probably needs all kinds of adjustment and calibration but so far I am extremely satisfied. It's not quite as perfectly detailed as the Kuro, but neither is it seeing 4k source either, nor fully set up.

Last night was Tron: Legacy and Avatar in 3D. I have an OPPO 93, ordinary HDMI cable direct to the set. I need a new receiver to carry the 4k. To say the least I was extremely happy with the image. As was my wife - who really doesn't get interested in tech much.

I got 3ACTIVE glasses - but they have a top of screen black flicker that fades as it goes down. I picked up Sony glasses today to compare - and No flicker. I have an email to the vendor. Their glasses are rechargeable, a nice feature.

So, I am up to page 6 on this forum....I will slog through and try and participate. (while trying to figure out how to pay for this...)
I noted the top black flicker with my panny ZT glasses so I guess I'll be buying some Sony ones. Glad I wasn't seeing things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #1164 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post
Not a fair comparison. That is a 2015 OLED model. They should have used a G6 or E6. Dumb
It's also a Sony marketing guy doing the demo, so of course he's going to show the Sony in the best possible light.

That being said, the 940D should still be considerably brighter than the 2016 OLEDs, but you trade off black level both in terms of total darkness and how granular the dark vs light areas can be.

Both are great, and there are solid reasons to go either way, but getting an extra 10" with the Sony is pretty compelling.
zAndy12 likes this.
post #1165 of 13143 Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Maybe that's because Pacific Rim isn't available on HDR10?
I believe it's slated for a UHD Blu-Ray release this year, and since it's already been graded for DV I'm guessing the disc will also be HDR10.
Jrvigurik likes this.
post #1166 of 13143 Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My Bestbuy Magnolia displays Ant-man bluray on P75, JS8500, X940C, EF9500 side by side and the P75 looks the worst. I am not sure if it was setup correctly, Vizio probably didn't pay the premium to advertise at Bestbuy.

They also have the X940D demoing 4K and I can say it is an amazing set, just as good or even better than the x940c. The black might not be OLED black, but the brightness is really high on the Sony set. Color and motion are also great.
I haven't seen Samsung new sets yet, but I guess they would bring the high nits panels to compete.
post #1167 of 13143 Old 05-06-2016, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
I can confirm that the 94O Does do DD+. I am currently watching Directv via RVU app and sending audio via optical to my Marantz 8802a and its receiving/playing DD+.
Ah, I don't think that's correct. What your Marantz is saying is Dolby Digital decode *along with* Dolby Surround decoding, to enable upmixing of 5.1 to your height / rear speakers.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #1168 of 13143 Old 05-06-2016, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelluccirx View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubfzf733oc...s.xlsx?dl=0%3D

Tabs at bottom have different member settings.....

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #1169 of 13143 Old 05-06-2016, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
So far the 940c settings don't work right on the 940d. They turn it into vivid mode. Try these settings in a custom profile when night viewing HDR content.

Light sensor off
Gamma: -1 (seems to help with high contrast scenes, backing it down a notch or 2)
Auto local dimming: medium (high is better than it has been on my previous Sony fall but still brings some crush, still trying to fix the slight bloom from white text on black bars too)
X-tended Dynamic Range: High, always or your back light won't peak at 1000 nits it's capable of
Color temp: expert 1 (I didnnt mess with bias, just leftax defaults until proper calibrated)
Live color: off unless you want that extra pop, do low, but it is technically not as natural looking, depends if your going for accuracy I suppose
Noise reductions off
Motion: true cinema paired with medium or low cinematic seems to rove judder on 24p sources

I'll let you know June 11th what the ISF calibration settings are for colors and temp though they will be different on each set, they should be close.
Wow my settings are pretty close to yours. I have the contrast at 80, brightness at 32, color at 50, sharpness at 20, and gamma at -2. All motion/processing settings off except local dimming which I have at high. I don't notice a difference between high and medium, but will have to look closer to see if it crushes blacks in high as you said. I am still in the honeymoon stage with this TV and absolutely loving it. The upscaling of a 1080i signal is exceptional. 90% of our viewing is Direct TV and this TV makes everything look like eye candy. No date yet from Chad B. on my calibration.
kgraf18 likes this.

Last edited by bslep; 05-06-2016 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Grammer
post #1170 of 13143 Old 05-06-2016, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:

Light sensor off
Noise reductions off

Yours are very similar to mine.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page