Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #11881 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi123 View Post
It has been a year and a half with the 940D, so some impressions at this point:

A great set IMO! With good content, this thing absolutely shines. A suggestion for those with Netflix, do yourself a favor and watch with the 4K subscription level. I am still very impressed with the visuals.

My main source to feed the tv has been the Nvidia shield, playing Netflix and Google movies. I have also been watching some 4K UHD discs on the Oppo, but this is where I am a little torn about this aspect. Using the 4K discs, I am not that impressed with the HDR content. To compare, I will watch a bunch of scenes with both the UHD and the regular blu-ray that comes in the package, and to my eyes, I prefer the regular blu-ray. For example, I recently picked up the new Spiderman movie, and after doing a test, I watched the regular blu-ray.

For Netflix, I am using the Shield (not the built-in TV app), so I am still getting the 4K but not the HDR by forcing the Shield to output 8 bit. When comparing the 2 (HDR/non-HDR) on Netflix, I prefer the non-HDR version of the same show.

For the record, I am watching in "standard" picture mode, with the exception of a change to the colour temperature (setting to cool). In HDR, I also have the motionflow settings not set to off (knowing about the bug this set has for some users while in HDR mode).

Anyone else have the same thoughts as me about HDR?
Except for the horizontal lines and the local dimming bug, and despite the fact its peak brightness maxes out around 750-780 IIRC, I think this set shines with HDR. Whether it be with HDR games or disc based HDR movie content, the HDR picture is beautiful.

Can't imagine watching the regular Blu-ray over the UHD version.
Paul Cordingley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post
The family watched WonderWoman last night. Several scenes had the horizontal lines. Fog and Smoke were moat prevalent. Didn’t stop to note time stamps but definite a problem. I’ve had zero issues until watching 4K discs. I’ll watch some iTunes 4K to see if it’s the same. (However Apple TV has its own glitches). Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue on my 940E. I first noticed it when I bought the Apple TV 4K. I think it’s just an issue with Sony FALD sets. I wonder if it can be fixed.

post #11883 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1420 View Post
I have the same issue on my 940E. I first noticed it when I bought the Apple TV 4K. I think it’s just an issue with Sony FALD sets. I wonder if it can be fixed.

I have zero lines on my Z9D during HDR.

I can't imagine this being an issue with all Sony FALD sets, I think there would have been a lot more complaining if that were the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11884 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I have zero lines on my Z9D during HDR.

I can't imagine this being an issue with all Sony FALD sets, I think there would have been a lot more complaining if that were the case.

I’m glad the Z9D doesn’t have the issue but several owners of the 940D and 940E have complained about this issue. I’m on my second set and the horizontal lines are still there. I’m wondering if it’s a software or hardware issue and if it can be fixed. Has anybody had any luck with Sony support?

post #11885 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Why would you expect a Z9D, a vastly more expensive model? Maybe if you pay the difference but not as an exchange.
Does anyone know for sure if the banding problem is not an issue with the new 940E?

Yes, I have the same issue with my 940E.

post #11886 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
I’m glad the Z9D doesn’t have the issue but several owners of the 940D and 940E have complained about this issue. I’m on my second set and the horizontal lines are still there. I’m wondering if it’s a software or hardware issue and if it can be fixed. Has anybody had any luck with Sony support?

This is where there’s a benefit of reading Sony threads the lines during hdr playback can be eliminated or lessened by adjusting motion settings. Start by changing to custom with smoothness 3, clear minimum. You may have to experiment to find the best combination.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #11887 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
This is where there’s a benefit of reading Sony threads the lines during hdr playback can be eliminated or lessened by adjusting motion settings. Start by changing to custom with smoothness 3, clear minimum. You may have to experiment to find the best combination.

Thanks. I’ve adjusted the motion settings. Doesn’t help.

post #11888 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
That is not a solution. IMO there shouldn't be any lines to begin with. Besides that, I don't want to use any motion interpolation whatsoever.

Last edited by DJR662; 11-26-2017 at 02:57 PM.
post #11889 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I own both the Z9D and X940D and also have the lines on my 940D.

I didn't know the 940E also had the HDR lines issue.

Did Sony exchanged your set and if so, what did they have to say about the lines? I'm still waiting on Sony to reply about the issue.
post #11890 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I own both the Z9D and X940D and also have the lines on my 940D.

I didn't know the 940E also had the HDR lines issue.

Did Sony exchanged your set and if so, what did they have to say about the lines? I'm still waiting on Sony to reply about the issue.

I exchanged it through my dealer. I can’t exchange it through them again so I’m wondering if it’s worth the time with Sony. Please keep us updated. Thanks!

post #11891 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
That is not a solution. IMO there shouldn't be any lines to begin with. Besides that, I don't want to use any motion interpolation whatsoever.
DJR662,

Can you tell us how to test for these horizontal lines? Are there any "HDR" movies that are currently included in the Amazon Prime package via Amazon Firebox? I don't see any "HDR" logos next to any movies, nor do I see them on my TV when I press "display" on the remote. I'm assuming all I need to do is set my HDMI input to enhanced and that's it correct? If you have a way for me to watch a movie and tell me where I should see an "HDR" logo that would be great. I want to make sure it's actually playing in HDR before I look for the horizontal lines.

Thanks
post #11892 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11313 Post(s)
Liked: 6707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805jive View Post
DJR662,

Can you tell us how to test for these horizontal lines? Are there any "HDR" movies that are currently included in the Amazon Prime package via Amazon Firebox? I don't see any "HDR" logos next to any movies, nor do I see them on my TV when I press "display" on the remote. I'm assuming all I need to do is set my HDMI input to enhanced and that's it correct? If you have a way for me to watch a movie and tell me where I should see an "HDR" logo that would be great. I want to make sure it's actually playing in HDR before I look for the horizontal lines.

Thanks
There are a number of UHD/HDR movies on both Netflix and Amazon. There is a great demo clip on Netflix titled “Cosmo’s Laundromat”. Play that clip and your TV should automatically shift to HDR Picture Mode. And Jessica Jones is another good one to play.

And if your TV has horizontal lines when playing HDR, the lines should appear on all HDR content. If some content has lines and other content doesn’t have lines, then the issue is more likely in the content than a flaw in the TV, IMO.
post #11893 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
My 3rd 940D was delivered on Wednesday. It is a refurbished model, it looks fantastic.
I am going to have my fingers crossed, this is exactly how my last set was when I got it, about 8 months later, the panel was shot, vertical banding that gradually got worse.

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dead! Bad panel! 940D #3 almost dead, banding again!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
post #11894 of 13193 Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There are a number of UHD/HDR movies on both Netflix and Amazon. There is a great demo clip on Netflix titled “Cosmo’s Laundromat”. Play that clip and your TV should automatically shift to HDR Picture Mode. And Jessica Jones is another good one to play.

And if your TV has horizontal lines when playing HDR, the lines should appear on all HDR content. If some content has lines and other content doesn’t have lines, then the issue is more likely in the content than a flaw in the TV, IMO.
I just tried this on cosmos laundromat and when I press “display” it’s showing 1080p and when I press action menu/picture adjustments it shows picture mode “standard”....auto picture mode is off, should it be set to auto?

What am I supposed to see when the Tv is acknowledging the HDR content?
post #11895 of 13193 Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
DJR662,

Thanks
I don't watch streaming content myself, only disc based UHD movies. However if you want to check whether something you are watching is in HDR, you simply press the action menu button during playback and then choose "picture". If it's an HDR program, you should see the greyed out words "HDR video" on the right side of the screen.

I do have acces to Netflix so I decided to check out some HDR content on there. Motionflow setting is disabled! If someone has the time and is interested, please check these timestamps. I'm curious whether you will see what I am seeing.

The Cosmo's Laundromat clip to which AustinJerry referred to is not available in my country so I chose Jessica Jones instead. I played the beginning of season 1, episode 1. At 2:08 there is a short scene in which the camera slowly moves forward in a hallway which lasts until 2:10. Keep looking to the left upper/mid part of the screen, in particular the brighter portions of the wall. The horizontal lines are clearly visible on my set especially since the camera is also moving. Now if I play this scene again, only this time with Motionflow set to True Cinema (the only Motionflow setting I would use since it doesn't involve motion interpolation), I have to look harder to see them but they are definitely still there. So IMO using Motionflow is not a solution but rather a way of covering up the issue. Btw pausing the program causes the screen to go dim which "breaks" the HDR effect, you have to see it in motion for the lines to be visible.

I also would like to point out that the lines are not visible on very bright or very dark portions of te screen. It's mostly when it's somewhere in the middle, not too bright but not too dark either. Therefore the lines will not be visible all the time. It really depends what's being shown on screen at that moment.

I also watched the beginning of Star Trek Discovery, again season 1, episode 1. Starting from 1:49, there is a scene of two women (hey, that's Michelle Yeoh! ) talking on a desert planet. Looking to the left part of the screen, I see the lines on and off depending what is on screen, sometimes they can also be seen on the right side. Now starting at 3:51 (and ending at 3:58), some sort of creature appears. At the moment when his tentacles appear, the lines are very visible as they clearly can be seen all over the screen. Again activating Motionflow makes them less visible but they do not disappear when watching this scene.

Would like to know if others are also seeing this.

Thanks.

Last edited by DJR662; 11-27-2017 at 06:14 AM.
post #11896 of 13193 Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I just tried this on cosmos laundromat and when I press “display” it’s showing 1080p and when I press action menu/picture adjustments it shows picture mode “standard”....auto picture mode is off, should it be set to auto?

What am I supposed to see when the Tv is acknowledging the HDR content?
First thing to check: does the video listing specifically state it is HDR?

Second, when you play the video and then click the Display button on the remote, does the status clearly show 2160 as the resolution (UHD)?

And finally, does the display switch to HDR Picture Mode?

If none of these are true, are you sure your Netflix subscription supports 4K video streaming?
post #11897 of 13193 Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
First thing to check: does the video listing specifically state it is HDR?

Second, when you play the video and then click the Display button on the remote, does the status clearly show 2160 as the resolution (UHD)?

And finally, does the display switch to HDR Picture Mode?

If none of these are true, are you sure your Netflix subscription supports 4K video streaming?
Jerry,

Thanks for the screen shots. You are correct I don't have the 4K subscription to Netflix....now only if someone could find one of these movies on Amazon Prime that I could test because i know my Firebox supports 4K Ultra HD. Does anyone out there know of any 4K HDR movies that are included on Amazon Prime? I google'd "HDR movies on Amazon Prime" and found a list of movies that are supposed to be HDR but when I look at the movies in the Amazon menu I don't see any HDR logos or indicators. Nor does the TV switch to HDR picture Mode when watching these.
post #11898 of 13193 Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Jerry,

Thanks for the screen shots. You are correct I don't have the 4K subscription to Netflix....now only if someone could find one of these movies on Amazon Prime that I could test because i know my Firebox supports 4K Ultra HD. Does anyone out there know of any 4K HDR movies that are included on Amazon Prime? I google'd "HDR movies on Amazon Prime" and found a list of movies that are supposed to be HDR but when I look at the movies in the Amazon menu I don't see any HDR logos or indicators. Nor does the TV switch to HDR picture Mode when watching these.
My go-to Amazon demo program for UHD/HDR is Man in High Castle season 2 (see attachment). While the video is playing, press the remote down arrow key, and you should see a status bar showing whether it is playing in HDR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2321814  
post #11899 of 13193 Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Yes, I have the same issue with my 940E.

Damnit! I too didn't know that the E also had the problem. Man. This is an impossible situation for some of us.

Cheers,
Paul Cordingley
post #11900 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Except for the horizontal lines and the local dimming bug, and despite the fact its peak brightness maxes out around 750-780 IIRC, I think this set shines with HDR. Whether it be with HDR games or disc based HDR movie content, the HDR picture is beautiful.

Can't imagine watching the regular Blu-ray over the UHD version.
Appreciate your reply.

Maybe I am just missing something. I will need to go back and do some more comparisons between the discs.

I am curious: have you compared the UHD to the standard blu-ray on any of your titles? If so, do you find the colors move vivid on the UHD?

Sony XBR-75X940D, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo UDP-203 Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen), Sony PS3
PSB Stratus Silver Towers, PSB Stratus C5i Centre Channel, PSB Image S5 Surrounds, SVS SB-2000 x 2
Logitech Harmony Companion, Multiple Sonos gear, Synology NAS, Monster Power PowerCenter Surge
post #11901 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Appreciate your reply.

Maybe I am just missing something. I will need to go back and do some more comparisons between the discs.

I am curious: have you compared the UHD to the standard blu-ray on any of your titles? If so, do you find the colors move vivid on the UHD?
As far as I recall I have only made an A/B comparison between the UHD and BD of Ghost In The Shell because I thought the UHD presentation was lacking in the HDR/WCG department at first. Turned out the UHD and both the 2D and 3D Blu-ray versions share the same aesthetics so it had nothing to do with a bad UHD transfer.

Other than that I quickly went through the regular Blu-rays of The Shallows, Pacific Rim, Mad Max Fury Road and a couple of others just for fun and it was clear to me each time the UHD version looked so much better.

I don't know what settings you are using for regular Blu-ray. Perhaps your SDR picture mode has boosted colors, a cooler color temperature and/or Live Color enabled?

Also keep in mind that UHD and SDR transfers can differ, sometimes the SDR version might not be the most accurate version because of concessions that had to be made to the picture.
post #11902 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
As far as I recall I have only made an A/B comparison between the UHD and BD of Ghost In The Shell because I thought the UHD presentation was lacking in the HDR/WCG department at first. Turned out the UHD and both the 2D and 3D Blu-ray versions share the same aesthetics so it had nothing to do with a bad UHD transfer.

Other than that I quickly went through the regular Blu-rays of The Shallows, Pacific Rim, Mad Max Fury Road and a couple of others just for fun and it was clear to me each time the UHD version looked so much better.

I don't know what settings you are using for regular Blu-ray. Perhaps your SDR picture mode has boosted colors, a cooler color temperature and/or Live Color enabled?

Also keep in mind that UHD and SDR transfers can differ, sometimes the SDR version might not be the most accurate version because of concessions that had to be made to the picture.
Of those discs listed, I only have The Shallows (but have Pacific Rim on order).

My 940 settings are basically out of the box, with exception of color temp (set to cool for both regular SDR and HDR modes). Also - for HDR, I have motion settings enabled instead of off.

Thanks for suggesting to look at the color settings. In regular SDR, the tv default appears to have live color set to medium, but on HDR it defaults to off. I am going to try and adjust the HDR settings more to match my settings in SDR, but I am concerned that "to my eyes", the default SDR tv settings look better to me than the default HDR mode. I put to my eyes in quotes, because it only means that it might be better to me, but not for everyone.

Overall, I just find the HDR picture to be not as punchy and contrasty, and also maybe a little darker. I hate to refer to advertisements about HDR, because I know manufacturers tend to overdo things on many advertisements when the talk about HDR vs SDR, but I am not seeing it as they advertise (generally speaking, a brighter more colorful picture). I think the 940 does such a killer job on SDR content, that maybe I am not making a fair comparison? The normal picture mode just looks SO good to me.

I think you make a very good point about the UHD vs. SDR transfer, as this can have a world of difference. Probably the best example of this to me is with the Billy Lynn's Walk UHD. The movie was ok, but the UHD picture quality was just incredible; the UHD version is better to me compared to the normal blu-ray.

Sony XBR-75X940D, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo UDP-203 Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen), Sony PS3
PSB Stratus Silver Towers, PSB Stratus C5i Centre Channel, PSB Image S5 Surrounds, SVS SB-2000 x 2
Logitech Harmony Companion, Multiple Sonos gear, Synology NAS, Monster Power PowerCenter Surge
post #11903 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
My go-to Amazon demo program for UHD/HDR is Man in High Castle season 2 (see attachment). While the video is playing, press the remote down arrow key, and you should see a status bar showing whether it is playing in HDR.
Okay, I discovered something strange. When I'm using my firebox that's hooked directly to the TV (HDMI port #4 ) the movies do not show the HDR icon in the menu, nor does the TV show HDR while playing the movies. I'm able to play UHD movies in 4k, but no HDR through the firebox. But, when I tried using the Amazon video app from the Sony TV menu, the movies did show the HDR icon in the menu, and the TV does show it as HDR when playing the movies. So I'm only getting HDR through the Amazon App on the TV, not the firebox that's connected to the TV.

Any idea why my firebox would not show the HDR icon but does show the 4K/UHD icon?
post #11904 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I don't watch streaming content myself, only disc based UHD movies. However if you want to check whether something you are watching is in HDR, you simply press the action menu button during playback and then choose "picture". If it's an HDR program, you should see the greyed out words "HDR video" on the right side of the screen.

I do have acces to Netflix so I decided to check out some HDR content on there. Motionflow setting is disabled! If someone has the time and is interested, please check these timestamps. I'm curious whether you will see what I am seeing.

The Cosmo's Laundromat clip to which AustinJerry referred to is not available in my country so I chose Jessica Jones instead. I played the beginning of season 1, episode 1. At 2:08 there is a short scene in which the camera slowly moves forward in a hallway which lasts until 2:10. Keep looking to the left upper/mid part of the screen, in particular the brighter portions of the wall. The horizontal lines are clearly visible on my set especially since the camera is also moving. Now if I play this scene again, only this time with Motionflow set to True Cinema (the only Motionflow setting I would use since it doesn't involve motion interpolation), I have to look harder to see them but they are definitely still there. So IMO using Motionflow is not a solution but rather a way of covering up the issue. Btw pausing the program causes the screen to go dim which "breaks" the HDR effect, you have to see it in motion for the lines to be visible.

I also would like to point out that the lines are not visible on very bright or very dark portions of te screen. It's mostly when it's somewhere in the middle, not too bright but not too dark either. Therefore the lines will not be visible all the time. It really depends what's being shown on screen at that moment.

I also watched the beginning of Star Trek Discovery, again season 1, episode 1. Starting from 1:49, there is a scene of two women (hey, that's Michelle Yeoh! ) talking on a desert planet. Looking to the left part of the screen, I see the lines on and off depending what is on screen, sometimes they can also be seen on the right side. Now starting at 3:51 (and ending at 3:58), some sort of creature appears. At the moment when his tentacles appear, the lines are very visible as they clearly can be seen all over the screen. Again activating Motionflow makes them less visible but they do not disappear when watching this scene.

Would like to know if others are also seeing this.

Thanks.
I don't have Netflix 4K but if you could find some HDR content on Amazon Prime and let me know what scenes show the banding I could test my set to see if I have the banding as well.
post #11905 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Of those discs listed, I only have The Shallows (but have Pacific Rim on order).

My 940 settings are basically out of the box, with exception of color temp (set to cool for both regular SDR and HDR modes). Also - for HDR, I have motion settings enabled instead of off.

Thanks for suggesting to look at the color settings. In regular SDR, the tv default appears to have live color set to medium, but on HDR it defaults to off. I am going to try and adjust the HDR settings more to match my settings in SDR, but I am concerned that "to my eyes", the default SDR tv settings look better to me than the default HDR mode. I put to my eyes in quotes, because it only means that it might be better to me, but not for everyone.

Overall, I just find the HDR picture to be not as punchy and contrasty, and also maybe a little darker. I hate to refer to advertisements about HDR, because I know manufacturers tend to overdo things on many advertisements when the talk about HDR vs SDR, but I am not seeing it as they advertise (generally speaking, a brighter more colorful picture). I think the 940 does such a killer job on SDR content, that maybe I am not making a fair comparison? The normal picture mode just looks SO good to me.

I think you make a very good point about the UHD vs. SDR transfer, as this can have a world of difference. Probably the best example of this to me is with the Billy Lynn's Walk UHD. The movie was ok, but the UHD picture quality was just incredible; the UHD version is better to me compared to the normal blu-ray.
I find it to be quite the opposite, 4K/HDR content defintely looks more "punchy and contrasty" than SDR material to me. Colors look alive when they need to and are much richer. And if you want bright take a look at Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children or Starship Troopers for example. The daytime scenes in those movies look very bright. And remember HDR isn't all about a bright picture and scorching highlights. Even if it appears darker at times, you're actually seeing more and getting more (shadow) details than with SDR.

As for your settings IMO Live Color should be set to off at all times for all content, and as a general rule that goes for all of these types of picture enhancers. Motion interpolation is also something I will never use, True Cinema Motion would be the only way to go for me personally as it does not involve interpolation. Only thing I would consider using is Reality Creation albeit at the lowest possible setting.

What picture mode are you on for SDR? Pro should be a good starting point, with color temp set to expert 1 (would also use this for HDR) and color itself at 50. Matter of fact you should look up AustinJerry's calibration settings, those are excellent and will give you an accurate picture.
post #11906 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't have Netflix 4K but if you could find some HDR content on Amazon Prime and let me know what scenes show the banding I could test my set to see if I have the banding as well.
I only have Netflix.
post #11907 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

What picture mode are you on for SDR? Pro should be a good starting point, with color temp set to expert 1 (would also use this for HDR) and color itself at 50. Matter of fact you should look up AustinJerry's calibration settings, those are excellent and will give you an accurate picture.

Speaking of starting points...
One of the frustrating things with HDR calibration on this set is that it *brings forward* attributes of whatever SDR mode you had it on before the content switch flips.

Having an HDMI input set to movie mode and motion flow will have different HDR settings than if you had it set to game mode and flow off. Many HDR settings are not adjustable once in that mode.

Just adds a layer of complication to getting things right.

post #11908 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay, I discovered something strange. When I'm using my firebox that's hooked directly to the TV (HDMI port #4 ) the movies do not show the HDR icon in the menu, nor does the TV show HDR while playing the movies. I'm able to play UHD movies in 4k, but no HDR through the firebox. But, when I tried using the Amazon video app from the Sony TV menu, the movies did show the HDR icon in the menu, and the TV does show it as HDR when playing the movies. So I'm only getting HDR through the Amazon App on the TV, not the firebox that's connected to the TV.

Any idea why my firebox would not show the HDR icon but does show the 4K/UHD icon?
I didn't know what a "Firebox" was so I looked it up. Seems there are two versions, the older one being just UHD and the newer one released this year being UHD with HDR compatibility. I don't know which one you have? If you do have the new one, is the HDMI port to which this device is connected set to enhanced?
post #11909 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
Speaking of starting points...
One of the frustrating things with HDR calibration on this set is that it *brings forward* attributes of whatever SDR mode you had it on before the content switch flips.

Having an HDMI input set to movie mode and motion flow will have different HDR settings than if you had it set to game mode and flow off. Many HDR settings are not adjustable once in that mode.

Just adds a layer of complication to getting things right.

I thought that was the whole point of game mode?
Being less adjustable than other modes, both in SDR and HDR, so the least amount of additional processing is available/going on?

I use Pro for SDR and whenever the TV switches to HDR, none of the SDR settings are ported over. This is actually one of the things I love about the X940D, it has a separate and completely independable HDR mode. Unlike the Z9D where SDR and HDR share one picture mode and most of the settings stay the same when switching from SDR to HDR and vice versa within that picture mode.
post #11910 of 13193 Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
I thought that was the whole point of game mode?

Being less adjustable than other modes, both in SDR and HDR, so the least amount of additional processing is available/going on?

I use Pro for SDR and whenever the TV switches to HDR, none of the SDR settings are ported over. This is actually one of the things I love about the X940D, it has a separate and completely independable HDR mode. Unlike the Z9D where SDR and HDR share one picture mode and most of the settings stay the same when switching from SDR to HDR and vice versa within that picture mode.

It’s not game mode that I’m griping about, it’s HDR mode. Lots of options are greyed out or don’t move in HDR. You can tweak SDR (in any preference Cinema Home/Cinema Pro/ etc) and watch your settings get carried forward from there when it enters HDR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page