Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17125Likes

post #12541 of 13143 Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11106 Post(s)
Liked: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds2004 View Post
I've tried different settings from the beginning of the thread when I first bought my TV at the beginning of the last year. I'm not sure if it's bothering me more or if the ghosting/smearing is getting worse, but it's to the point I cannot sometimes read words on the screen if they are moving.

What settings are you using to smear the least? I think I notice it worse when my kids are watching on the YouTube app.
Unless there is something wrong with your panel, this display is not plagued with excessive smearing or other motion issues, IMO. I recommend comparing the You tube app output with content from other sources, say live broadcast TV or cable/satellite to see if other sources exhibit the same issue. I suspect the You Tube content is the issue. If you have another way to watch You Tube content, like an AppleTV, you may find that it is the TV app that is causing the issue.

Other than trying the motion control settings, there isn’t much else you can do. I find The Custom motion control setting the best one, with Smoothness=4 and Clearness=Min. For movie content, set Cinemotion to Low. Try these settings to see if there is any improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 13143 Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Unless there is something wrong with your panel, this display is not plagued with excessive smearing or other motion issues, IMO. I recommend comparing the You tube app output with content from other sources, say live broadcast TV or cable/satellite to see if other sources exhibit the same issue. I suspect the You Tube content is the issue. If you have another way to watch You Tube content, like an AppleTV, you may find that it is the TV app that is causing the issue.

Other than trying the motion control settings, there isn’t much else you can do. I find The Custom motion control setting the best one, with Smoothness=4 and Clearness=Min. For movie content, set Cinemotion to Low. Try these settings to see if there is any improvement.
I would also ensure that you have the settings that you expect for the apps. Each input remembers its own unique settings as do the apps (as a collective whole). When you're playing content via the YT app, check your picture settings and be sure that they are set the way you believe they have been.
post #12543 of 13143 Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I just recently started to notice this on some HDR content myself... should I be worried? My set is out of warranty now...
Brien, did you ever get your elevated black levels on HDR material figured out? Out of curiosity do you have MotionFlow enabled? If not, enable it, and see if that improves your black levels with HDR sources.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Marantz AV8802A -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12544 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
It finally happened. After owning this TV for just over a year, the panel seems to be giving out. Of course Sony’s warranty for what was once the flagship tv of 2016, is only a year, so this should be fun. I’ve had minor issues with vertical banding and lines that look like streaks during high brightness HDR content,but the picture was so good that I overlooked these minor issues. Now I have an issue that can’t be ignored.

This morning I was playing some Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox One X, and everything looked stellar. Shortly after I switch to Netflix for my kids, and I see a vertical red line about one pixel wide going down the right hand corner of the screen. Needless to say, I was freaking out. So I switch inputs, and it’s visible on every color besides black. It looks like damaged panel and has only showed up this morning. While Sony may give me grief, I do have a Square Trade warranty that I bought with the tv through eBay when I bought it last year from Buydig. I have never used them before, so I have no idea what to expect. I’m no TV technician, but I’d imagine that this set needs a new panel.
That sucks! I have had mine since Oct-2016. I did not get an extended warranty. I make an ok living but not to the point where I can buy a $4k tv every 2 years. My next plan to upgrade is October- November of 2020 when HDMI 2.1 and some of the other new tech should be out and relatively stable. I should not have many hours on mine as I am single. I sometimes go a week without mine powering up.

I need another 2.5 years out of it. If it dies before then I will have to go back to my 2012 Samsung Plasma 64 inch that is in the bedroom.
post #12545 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked: 5795
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post
That sucks! I have had mine since Oct-2016. I did not get an extended warranty. I make an ok living but not to the point where I can buy a $4k tv every 2 years. My next plan to upgrade is October- November of 2020 when HDMI 2.1 and some of the other new tech should be out and relatively stable. I should not have many hours on mine as I am single. I sometimes go a week without mine powering up.

I need another 2.5 years out of it. If it dies before then I will have to go back to my 2012 Samsung Plasma 64 inch that is in the bedroom.
I got my 940D in July 2016 and it has been just fine. I don't plan to upgrade very soon either and certainly not until after Dolby Vision becomes a lot more mature than it is now.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #12546 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I got my 940D in July 2016 and it has been just fine. I don't plan to upgrade very soon either and certainly not until after Dolby Vision becomes a lot more mature than it is now.
You and I got ours about the same time (and we both replaced a Pioneer KURO plasma!) and mine is still working great. I STILL never cease to be amazed by the PQ, especially a really good UHD (or even 1080p) Blu-ray. My only gripe has always been "light bleeding" into the letter-boxed bars. It still distracts me big time! It's definitely worse with HDR.

I'm hoping to hold out another few years. Eventually I want a very large (preferably 85" or larger) OLED, or, better yet, a MicroLED if they ever become marketable.
egrady and gwsat like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12547 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post

I agree. We’ve all spent a substantial sum of money on these TVs. I had no issues with the set at all, prior to the banding that started to develop and worsen over time, and the 2 inch vertical line of dead pixels. If the set stayed performing like it did on day one, I’d be more than happy. I realistically expect a set of this caliber to last 3-5 years, without issue. I still have my Flagship Samsung 55F9000 with the SEK 3500, and it still functions flawlessly. My salary is lacking, especially with all my responsibilities, so this set was a treat to myself.

With that said, Sony was great and upgraded me to a brand new 940E, that is a superior set thus far. I won’t jinx it, because we all know how that goes, but it seems to have a near flawless panel, free of vertical banding and DSE. It also gets much brighter with HDR, and has Dolby Vision. However, you lose 3D playback and only HDMI 2 and 3 are full bandwidth HDMI 2.0a capable for HDR, etc., unlike the 940D. I am still weary on the reliability of Sony sets now. It seems like all flagships from all top tier manufacturers lack the reliability and durability of older plasmas, etc.
post #12548 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 07:21 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
You and I got ours about the same time (and we both replaced a Pioneer KURO plasma!) and mine is still working great. I STILL never cease to be amazed by the PQ, especially a really good UHD (or even 1080p) Blu-ray. My only gripe has always been "light bleeding" into the letter-boxed bars. It still distracts me big time! It's definitely worse with HDR.

I'm hoping to hold out another few years. Eventually I want a very large (preferably 85" or larger) OLED, or, better yet, a MicroLED if they ever become marketable.
I continue to enjoy my problem-free 940D. Are you really considering OLED? I would not choose OLED because it doesn’t get as bright as an LED set, and there are concerns with burn-in. I think the Z9D is the better choice, or it’s replcement, which should be coming out later this year.
gwsat, pspoar and LeoKnightas like this.
post #12549 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
I continue to enjoy my problem-free 940D. Are you really considering OLED? I would not choose OLED because it doesn’t get as bright as an LED set, and there are concerns with burn-in. I think the Z9D is the better choice, or it’s replcement, which should be coming out later this year.
After owning a "self-emissive" display (Pioneer plasma) for years, with its perfect blacks, I've always had my eye on the OLED technology. As far as it not "getting as bright as an LED set," the newest OLED displays can achieve almost 1,000 nits, which is a tad higher than our 940D. So, in my Man Cave, with its controlled lighting, that would be bright enough for me.

Having said that, I have been reading the thread on the new Samsung Q9FN (an LCD/LED display) and it's been getting rave reviews. It has FALD with 480 dimming zones and the algorithm is so good that it virtually eliminates most light bleeding. As far as brightness, tests have revealed peaks of nearly 2,000 nits. And then there's the COLORS...simply amazing according to 98% of all reviews I've read by those who have done professional tests on it. The one downfall is "off axis viewing," which isn't a big factor with me since 90% of the time I'm all alone or I have 1 or 2 guests who sit right next to me.

I am looking forward to the replacement for the Z9D to see if that will be a worthy competitor to the Q9FN.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12550 of 13143 Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I've had a mid-range 63" Samsung plasma for several years that is still working perfectly in the bedroom. Just got the itch one day for 4K and picked up a 940D. It took some time to get used to an LED set but now I love it. Recently I got an offer to swap my 940D for a 940E straight up. The person with the 940E wants 3D which I don't use and I would like to have Dolby Vision. But on looking at his 940E it had the dark corner problem and he admitted that it rebooted quite often while watching a variety of sources. I seem to have won the lottery panel with my 940D, I have very few complaints and decided to keep it. I also have a 5-year warranty (say 3 & 1/2 years left), the friend's 940E has what's left of the factory warranty, maybe 5 or 6 months. Like most of us here I keep tabs on all the new tech and sets and feel that when my set is shot, an even better one will be available for less/same money. I just have to keep my "I-want-it-now!" urges in check.
pspoar and Sal1950 like this.
post #12551 of 13143 Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I just updated the SW on my PS4 Pro to 5.55 and now my 940D doesn't automatically switch to HDR when receiving an HDR signal. I can manually do it, but before this update it did it automatically.

If you have a PS4 Pro hooked up to your 940D I'd like to know if you have the same problem. I suspect the update because my 940D still goes to HDR when receiving an HDR signal from my Oppo 205.
post #12552 of 13143 Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hello all.

I've been thinking about upgrading my TV for a bit.
I haven't jumped on the 4k bandwagon yet, mostly because i didn't feel 4k was worth it, however, now that HDR seems to be finding its legs I think it's about time.

Now realize i'm coming from a 1080P Samsung plasma (PNF8500).
I think the picture quality on this TV is fantastic, and i'm sure whatever i upgrade too will still be an improvement,

Problem is, now there's no more 3D!
I am a big fan of 3D and have a large library, which means if i want to upgrade and keep 3D, my options are pretty limited.
The other factor is i'm coming from a 65" TV and i think perhaps it's time to go bigger?
Last issue being most of these are still either too expensive or can't be found anymore.

So my question to everyone here is, what recommendations do you have?
Anyone know where I may still be able to pick some of these up?
Is the 940Ds lack of dolby vision a deal breaker?
I've read mixed things, some people saying it's the greatest part about new TVs, others saying it's still not great yet and not taken advantage of properly and not enough source material....

With that said i think my only options are the below:
Sony 940D (can this still be found? I see FRYs still has one, but doesn't ship?)
Sony Z9D (though this is still waaaaay out of my price range for a 75). is it that much better than a 940D/dolby vision worth it?
LG Oled E6P (max 65")
LG Oled G6P (still absurdly priced and still not sure where i'd even be able to pick one up).
Any others? Thoughts?

I play a lot of video games (oled burn in is a concern). And Movies and TV

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
post #12553 of 13143 Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 448
My sony 940D keeps saying input not detected but it is actually have an hdmi input in it. Then says it will shut off in a minute. Which it does !
Is this the android system going s littke crazy ? I rebooted once (unplugged the 940D) and it still did it . Is there a better reboot then unplugging set ?
post #12554 of 13143 Old 05-31-2018, 07:16 PM

Sometime ago, don't know precisely when, my picture settings got changed from the Custom Settings recommended by @AustinJerry to Sports and I didn't notice. Yesterday, I changed my Picture settings back to Custom and the stuff I am watching on cable looks a lot better.

I see little difference from before, though, when I'm playing UHD HDR content. I recall that the when the HDR flag is triggered it cranks in some automatic settings. Is this why I am not seeing any difference in UHD HDR stuff since I returned my Picture settings to Custom? I should add that UHD HDR has always looked wonderful on my 940D but thought I should ask here whether changing Picture settings has any effect when the HDR flag is triggered.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #12555 of 13143 Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Sometime ago, don't know precisely when, my picture settings got changed from the Custom Settings recommended by @AustinJerry to Sports and I didn't notice. Yesterday, I changed my Picture settings back to Custom and the stuff I am watching on cable looks a lot better.

I see little difference from before, though, when I'm playing UHD HDR content. I recall that the when the HDR flag is triggered it cranks in some automatic settings. Is this why I am not seeing any difference in UHD HDR stuff since I returned my Picture settings to Custom? I should add that UHD HDR has always looked wonderful on my 940D but thought I should ask here whether changing Picture settings has any effect when the HDR flag is triggered.
HDR Picture Mode has its own settings. Some of the settings are shared with Custom, but others like Contrast have different values in HDR mode. Whether you see differences from Sports mode is subjective.
Supero100 likes this.
post #12556 of 13143 Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
My sony 940D keeps saying input not detected but it is actually have an hdmi input in it. Then says it will shut off in a minute. Which it does !
Is this the android system going s littke crazy ? I rebooted once (unplugged the 940D) and it still did it . Is there a better reboot then unplugging set ?
Try restarting the source component. If it has a "OFF" switch, cycle that first, if that doesn't work, unplug the sources power, wait a minute, then plug in and try again. I have the same issue occasionally with my Comcast HD DVR.
Supero100 likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #12557 of 13143 Old 06-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
HDR Picture Mode has its own settings. Some of the settings are shared with Custom, but others like Contrast have different values in HDR mode. Whether you see differences from Sports mode is subjective.
Thanks, Jerry. I am glad that I didn't perceive any differences in image quality of UHD HDR material after I changed my Picture Settings back to your recommended Custom Settings because it was already stellar. I am equally glad that the reimplementation of your recommended settings improved the image quality of cable programming dramatically.
AustinJerry and Supero100 like this.

post #12558 of 13143 Old 06-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all. Having some troubles that look software related. Purchased in Oct 2016. Fully updated firmware. My netflix and HBO apps which I use mostly have been crashing like crazy. Seems like if I turn off the tv and come back I have to constantly do a hard reset on the TV to get the apps to work OK for 1 movie.

Is it time for some kind of a hard reset? What is the best way to try and rest this and fix it so its not constantly crashing?

| PS4 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | 2 X HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P | Sony XBR75X940D | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #12559 of 13143 Old 06-02-2018, 07:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post
Hi all. Having some troubles that look software related. Purchased in Oct 2016. Fully updated firmware. My netflix and HBO apps which I use mostly have been crashing like crazy. Seems like if I turn off the tv and come back I have to constantly do a hard reset on the TV to get the apps to work OK for 1 movie.

Is it time for some kind of a hard reset? What is the best way to try and rest this and fix it so its not constantly crashing?
Invest in an AppleTV 4K. More reliable apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Since I purchased the ATV, I don’t think I have launched the native TV apps once.
Supero100 and Sal1950 like this.
post #12560 of 13143 Old 06-03-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

After a firmware update a few months ago I experienced crashes like you are describing. Several a day. I ended up doing a factory reset, which I was hesitant to do because I had my TV professionally calibrated. Since I did the factory reset, I have not used any apps on the TV (bought a 4K Roku instead) and I have not had one crash since.

I have to say, I have owned this TV since April 2016 and still love it. The PQ has improved with firmware updates and is simply amazing. I just marvel at how stellar it is. Luckily, I haven’t had the screen issues many posters have had.

Good luck.
Yellbean likes this.
post #12561 of 13143 Old 06-03-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
After a firmware update a few months ago I experienced crashes like you are describing. Several a day. I ended up doing a factory reset, which I was hesitant to do because I had my TV professionally calibrated. Since I did the factory reset, I have not used any apps on the TV (bought a 4K Roku instead) and I have not had one crash since.

I have to say, I have owned this TV since April 2016 and still love it. The PQ has improved with firmware updates and is simply amazing. I just marvel at how stellar it is. Luckily, I haven’t had the screen issues many posters have had.

Good luck.
My story is almost identical to yours. I bought my 940D in July 2016. I used the builtin Android OS apps for sometime thereafter and was reasonably satisfied with their stability. I disliked that I couldn't get DD+ audio though and by not being able to use my AVR's onscreen display. I also disliked the glacial slowness of Android OS when I was trying to find additional streaming apps.

In May 2017, I bought a UHD HDR capable Roku Premiere+ and have used it ever since, mostly problem free. Not only does it seem to support every streaming app known to man, finding and installing a new app has been both fast and painless. On the down side, the remote has failed intermittently but I have lived with it because I'm able to bring it back to life by removing and reinstalling the batteries. Like everything else in home theater, choosing a streaming platform requires compromises.
bslep likes this.

post #12562 of 13143 Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Good luck.
Factory reset worked great! Thanks guys! Will also consider investing in Apple player 4k as mentioned.
bslep and Supero100 like this.

| PS4 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | 2 X HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P | Sony XBR75X940D | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #12563 of 13143 Old 06-04-2018, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Factory reset worked great! Thanks guys! Will also consider investing in Apple player 4k as mentioned.
IMHO, anything you can use in place of the onboard Android apps will go a long way toward eliminating the bugs introduced by the onboard system. I've recommended here often to use whatever you have to receive your apps (I use my Samy UHD BD player), then disconnect the set from the internet and do the factory reset. Never again connect the set to the internet unless you "must have" a firmware update. This has been my approach from almost day one of my Jan 17 purchase and I have never experienced the crashes and other bugs reported here by so many.
YMMV

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #12564 of 13143 Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
IMHO, anything you can use in place of the onboard Android apps will go a long way toward eliminating the bugs introduced by the onboard system. I've recommended here often to use whatever you have to receive your apps (I use my Samy UHD BD player), then disconnect the set from the internet and do the factory reset. Never again connect the set to the internet unless you "must have" a firmware update. This has been my approach from almost day one of my Jan 17 purchase and I have never experienced the crashes and other bugs reported here by so many.
YMMV
I don’t experience any crashes either, but my set remains connected to the internet.
BobDV likes this.
post #12565 of 13143 Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don’t experience any crashes either, but my set remains connected to the internet.
Understood Jerry, but you know that tons of people have written here about the app crashes, random rebooting, etc. No one seems to have been able to zero in on a single offending app or setting but using the approach I've suggested does seem to be a successful path. (though a bit of a "weapon of mass destruction" approach to kill Android issues.

YMMV

post #12566 of 13143 Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 754
I am happy to report that since the last update I have had zero crashes with my set. I also don't use the sets apps. It is strange how others members on here still have that issue.
post #12567 of 13143 Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My dad has a 75" 940d and recently he purchased the DTV upgrade box so he could watch 4k hdr content on DTV. There is one thing i have noticed that i am not sure he can see but he does say he thinks the regular content does look better and here is what is going on.

On the live sporting events that are shown on these DTV 4kHDR channels the backlight it like going crazy behind the screen, almost flashing in certain areas like it doesn't know what to do, it is very noticable on golf and now on the World cup creating flashlighting and clouding all over the picture.

Is anyone else experiencing this, we don't see it on any streaming content from YT or Amazon apps and some of the non live sports shows like the dogs show or other pre recorded stuff you don't see it.

It is just on live sports events that we see this issue, has anyone seen this?

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV / Nvidia Shield / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
post #12568 of 13143 Old 06-17-2018, 01:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post
My dad has a 75" 940d and recently he purchased the DTV upgrade box so he could watch 4k hdr content on DTV. There is one thing i have noticed that i am not sure he can see but he does say he thinks the regular content does look better and here is what is going on.

On the live sporting events that are shown on these DTV 4kHDR channels the backlight it like going crazy behind the screen, almost flashing in certain areas like it doesn't know what to do, it is very noticable on golf and now on the World cup creating flashlighting and clouding all over the picture.

Is anyone else experiencing this, we don't see it on any streaming content from YT or Amazon apps and some of the non live sports shows like the dogs show or other pre recorded stuff you don't see it.

It is just on live sports events that we see this issue, has anyone seen this?
Is he using a DTV C61K device, or is he using the RVU app on the TV? Just to see if I could duplicate what you are talking about, I just tuned to the U.S. Open championship currently airing on channel 105. I am using the RVU app, and verified that the 940D is in HDR mode. I have to say, the picture quality is pristine, clear as a bell, and without any of the issues you described. Of course, unless he is using RVU as well, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
post #12569 of 13143 Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I see this as well. It’s not only on the 4K channel, you see it while watching soccer, golf and baseball games. You see it with golf usually as the ball is putted and moves. Baseball games while ball is hit to outfield. It’s a function of the auto local dimming and it’s limited zones to my understanding. I have football mode set up with all my usual settings, except I turn off local dimming which alleviates the issue. Unfortunately in HDR mode you cannot turn it off as it is greyed out. It’s not an issue while watching any other programming. I use the C61K, but it’s also on the Genie HR54 connected to the tv or anything else attached while watching these type of events.
post #12570 of 13143 Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Is he using a DTV C61K device, or is he using the RVU app on the TV? Just to see if I could duplicate what you are talking about, I just tuned to the U.S. Open championship currently airing on channel 105. I am using the RVU app, and verified that the 940D is in HDR mode. I have to say, the picture quality is pristine, clear as a bell, and without any of the issues you described. Of course, unless he is using RVU as well, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Thanks AJ I will setup the RVU next time i am over there, so it sounds like this extra box isn't needed with the RVU, I am planning on getting an x900f soon and it would be nice to not need this.

I am guessing you just need to be on ethernet or WIFI if you are wanting to connect to the main DTV box. I need to do some research on this i didn't realize this was possible.

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV / Nvidia Shield / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page