Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 437 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17122Likes

post #13081 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thanks, @AustinJerry , I applied some changes to the settings in game mode, just as an experiment, and even just a few minor tweaks, Game Mode looks a lot better. I’m going to download your own recommended specs and try working with them. I do have an odd question, the HDR mode, which is the last or second to last mode in the TV settings menu, looks very weird, even with what looks like identical lighting settings to some of the other picture modes. Is there something I’m missing with this TV regarding the default HDR picture mode? Thanks again for all your info!

Last edited by ChiroVette; 05-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13082 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 01:55 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11003 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
I do have an odd question, the HDR mode, which is the last or second to last mode in the TV settings menu, looks very weird, even with what looks like identical lighting settings to some of the other picture modes. Is there something I’m missing with this TV regarding the default HDR picture mode? Thanks again for all your info!
The HDR picture mode will only look correct if you are displaying HDR content.
gwsat likes this.
post #13083 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The HDR picture mode will only look correct if you are displaying HDR content.
Got it, thanks! Okay this is weird now. My PS4 Pro does output HDR, and I just decided to experiment with the new Spider-Man for the PS4 from INSOMNIAC. Now my PS4 Pro is outputting 4K and HDR for this game, which is why I decided to use this as my test. Anyway, I wanted to try out this game on the PS4 in Game Mode. But when I put the game on, then navigated to the TV's settings in the Home Screen, the set will not allow me to use Game Mode. The mode menu is greyed out and the TV automatically switched to HDR Mode, and won't allow me to change it. I never noticed this before when playing or streaming on the PS4, probably because most games and content is not HDR, and therefore I didn't look while playing to see what mode the TV was on.

Is there any way to force the TV to allow me to switch the PS4 into Game Mode while playing a 4K game with HDR? Or am I actually contradicting myself with the question? In other words, is HDR Mode on the TV the only way that a device can output 4K, and if so, then does this mean I have to set the PS4 NOT to output in HDR so that I can put the set into Game Mode? I am a little confused here.

Edit: Oh and I just double checked my 43" 4K Roku TV on my computer desk in my bedroom that I am using as a PC monitor and part time gaming set, since the input lag is way lower than the 940D's. I use an HDMI splitter to route the signal to this TV as well as my living room home theater so as not to have to buy two PS4's. I seem to be able to put this TV into Game Mode in the "Advanced Picture Settings" while playing Spider-Man in 4K HDR on that set. Just not on the 940D.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 05-10-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13084 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 04:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Got it, thanks! Okay this is weird now. My PS4 Pro does output HDR, and I just decided to experiment with the new Spider-Man for the PS4 from INSOMNIAC. Now my PS4 Pro is outputting 4K and HDR for this game, which is why I decided to use this as my test. Anyway, I wanted to try out this game on the PS4 in Game Mode. But when I put the game on, then navigated to the TV's settings in the Home Screen, the set will not allow me to use Game Mode. The mode menu is greyed out and the TV automatically switched to HDR Mode, and won't allow me to change it. I never noticed this before when playing or streaming on the PS4, probably because most games and content is not HDR, and therefore I didn't look while playing to see what mode the TV was on.

Is there any way to force the TV to allow me to switch the PS4 into Game Mode while playing a 4K game with HDR? Or am I actually contradicting myself with the question? In other words, is HDR Mode on the TV the only way that a device can output 4K, and if so, then does this mean I have to set the PS4 NOT to output in HDR so that I can put the set into Game Mode? I am a little confused here.
I am not sure why the TV won’t allow you to switch to Game Mode when playin HDR content. But if you think about it, wanting to switch to Game Mode doesn’t make sense. Game Mode is NOT HDR, so playing HDR content in a picture mode that is not HDR will not result in HDR picture quality. IOW, you can have one or the other, but not both.

When outputting the game from the PS4, you may be able to turn off HDR on the PS4, which will probably allow you to switch to Game Mode.
post #13085 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When outputting the game from the PS4, you may be able to turn off HDR on the PS4, which will probably allow you to switch to Game Mode.

I am pretty sure you can turn off HDR in the PS4 Pro's XMB. But then, of course, it begs the question, if I can't use Game Mode while gaming in HDR, then doesn't it sort of invalidate the whole idea of having the ability to lower input lag while gaming in 4K? Seems to me, if I am understanding this correctly, not being able to remove all processing, except for HDR itself, because I am locked into the HDR Mode in the picture settings sort of defeats the whole purpose of gaming in 4K while not being saddled with high input lag. Unless HDR is part of the processing that is removed when you put a TV into Game Mode, but does that sound a little silly to anyone else beside me?

Also, this begs another question, which is why am I able to do it (have HDR and Game Mode) on a Roku TV I bought for lol just over $200.00 on sale last year? Maybe my Roku set is allowing me to play in Game Mode and HDR simultaneously because Game Mode removes all the processing that adds input lag BUT leaves HDR on somehow, while the 940D, being older, a 2016 set, just doesn't have that ability?

Last edited by ChiroVette; 05-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.
post #13086 of 13124 Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I am pretty sure you can turn off HDR in the PS4 Pro's XMB. But then, of course, it begs the question, if I can't use Game Mode while gaming in HDR, then doesn't it sort of invalidate the whole idea of having the ability to lower input lag while gaming in 4K? Seems to me, if I am understanding this correctly, not being able to remove all processing, except for HDR itself, because I am locked into the HDR Mode in the picture settings sort of defeats the whole purpose of gaming in 4K while not being saddled with high input lag. Unless HDR is part of the processing that is removed when you put a TV into Game Mode, but does that sound a little silly to anyone else beside me?

Also, this begs another question, which is why am I able to do it (have HDR and Game Mode) on a Roku TV I bought for lol just over $200.00 on sale last year? Maybe my Roku set is allowing me to play in Game Mode and HDR simultaneously because Game Mode removes all the processing that adds input lag BUT leaves HDR on somehow, while the 940D, being older, a 2016 set, just doesn't have that ability?
Perhaps you have run into a limitation of this TV. Since I am not a gamer, I can't provide any further assistance.
post #13087 of 13124 Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perhaps you have run into a limitation of this TV. Since I am not a gamer, I can't provide any further assistance.

That's what it sounds like. I will try disabling HDR on the PS4 and see if I can then manually put the 940D into Game Mode without HDR.
post #13088 of 13124 Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Everything that's out there today sucks. It's all rushed to market with too many features jam-packed into one box for way too much money that is not engineered to last more than a few years. You're walking through a virtual minefield when you try and pick out specific items because one vendor might do really well with one type of product and not so well with another. I like to stick with common brands where I can (and where it makes sense - like a DVD Player and TV) so that the vendor loses their ability to push back on problems with "the other device" when something doesn't work right.

I want a TV. Period. Not a computer and display combined into one. Even if the TV DOES last for 10 years, every manufacturer will have given up supporting software updates for it after about three years or so. What good is that? Stop jamming all of the other junk that I truly don't need into that TV. Keep the price exactly the same, and I'll be quite happy for it to work fantastically for ten years. I don't want to be part of anyone's planned obsolescence model where they actually figure me into a refresh a few years out.

I had an opportunity to talk directly with a Samsung product manager once and I suggested to him that they should make the "computer" part of the TV a swappable board that could be upgraded every few years. Step up the horsepower of the brain and let it do more with a really high quality panel that would last. The buy-in for consumers might be about the same, but Samsung would get board upgrade revenue every couple of years from a consumer that they wouldn't otherwise be able to capture.

Obviously, that idea was not met with any interest because it's been five years since I discussed that with him.
In a few years EVERYTHING will have a computer/wifi/5G shoved into it.
post #13089 of 13124 Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
In a few years EVERYTHING will have a computer/wifi/5G shoved into it.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #13090 of 13124 Old 05-13-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Recently my Netflix app began acting up. It won't work unless I do a soft reboot. Once I do it works fine.
post #13091 of 13124 Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance our TVs gets upgraded to Android Oreo 8.0? It irks me that we did not make the cut and other less expensive TVs got the upgrade.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00204736
post #13092 of 13124 Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post
Any chance our TVs gets upgraded to Android Oreo 8.0? It irks me that we did not make the cut and other less expensive TVs got the upgrade.

I don't think we will see an upgrade. What about Oreo 8.0 do you find compelling?
post #13093 of 13124 Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post

If 8.0 is like other OS upgrades, it is a heavier load (RE bloated) than the one before it. The processor in the 940D was marginal from the beginning with crashes and other malfunctions when things got demanding. Maybe it's better they didn't try.
gwsat and Supero100 like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #13094 of 13124 Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi All,

It's been a while, hope everyone is having a good spring. I still cannot get audio to pass through the ARC from the TV to my Yamaha RX-A760 receiver, when watching native apps on the TV. I have to switch to the optical audio cable to get audio to pass through.

This was fine until I moved and wanted to add speakers to my setup and get a better sound output. Is this a limitation of the TV or am I missing a setting somewhere? Any help is appreciated, thank you!
post #13095 of 13124 Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Dog View Post
Hi All,

It's been a while, hope everyone is having a good spring. I still cannot get audio to pass through the ARC from the TV to my Yamaha RX-A760 receiver, when watching native apps on the TV. I have to switch to the optical audio cable to get audio to pass through.

This was fine until I moved and wanted to add speakers to my setup and get a better sound output. Is this a limitation of the TV or am I missing a setting somewhere? Any help is appreciated, thank you!
ARC can be problematic. Optical passes Dolby Digital 5.1. Not good enough?
post #13096 of 13124 Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Thanks, Dolby 5.1 is great but I'm looking forward to trying out other codecs as well.
post #13097 of 13124 Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks, Dolby 5.1 is great but I'm looking forward to trying out other codecs as well.
Yes, 5.1 is better than no audio at all...

An inexpensive alternative is the AppleTV 4K.
post #13098 of 13124 Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks, Jerry. Ironically I purchased the Roku Ultra from Amazon yesterday. Is the Apple TV 4K better? Main reason I ask is regarding Dolby Vision for HDR. Can our TV support DV HDR?

*Side Note: I'm originally from Houston and spent my 2nd year in College in Austin (200-2001). I went back last year for the first time in over 10 years, crazy to see how much has changed. And also pretty amazing I didn't have to drive all the way to Llano to enjoy some Coopers BBQ
post #13099 of 13124 Old 05-17-2019, 12:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks, Jerry. Ironically I purchased the Roku Ultra from Amazon yesterday. Is the Apple TV 4K better? Main reason I ask is regarding Dolby Vision for HDR. Can our TV support DV HDR?

*Side Note: I'm originally from Houston and spent my 2nd year in College in Austin (200-2001). I went back last year for the first time in over 10 years, crazy to see how much has changed. And also pretty amazing I didn't have to drive all the way to Llano to enjoy some Coopers BBQ
The 940D does not support DV, unfortunately. I have never owned a Roku, so I can't compare it with the ATV. However, since I have an iPhone and an iPad, I like to stay in the Apple ecosystem.
post #13100 of 13124 Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another firmware update out, from the description it appears its only a security update with no new features/fixes

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016190
post #13101 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjones View Post
Another firmware update out, from the description it appears its only a security update with no new features/fixes

My 940D has never done to well with software updates unless I use USB. I downloaded this one on my USB stick, the same one I always use, and my 940D won't recognize it. Odd in that its always worked before.
post #13102 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
My 940D has never done to well with software updates unless I use USB. I downloaded this one on my USB stick, the same one I always use, and my 940D won't recognize it. Odd in that its always worked before.
It's been my SOP from the beginning to read thru the updates benefits and if there's nothing listed that I have issue with, I ignore it. Since the possibility of a problem appearing while or after doing a firmware update exists, the old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rules the day here.

post #13103 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 02:09 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
It's been my SOP from the beginning to read thru the updates benefits and if there's nothing listed that I have issue with, I ignore it. Since the possibility of a problem appearing while or after doing a firmware update exists, the old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rules the day here.
Not disagreeing, but how do you assess a “security update”? I would be wary of not doing a security update, and since updates are typically cumulative, you would automatically get any previous updates even though you decided they were not applicable to you.
post #13104 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Worked like always for me. Did you remember to unzip it?

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #13105 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I wonder if our sets will get Alexa app

Better link: https://9to5google.com/2019/06/27/am...to-android-tv/

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K

Last edited by Audiguy3; 06-27-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #13106 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 08:09 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I wonder if our sets will get Alexa app
https://9to5google.com/2019/06/27/amazon-alexa-comes-to-android-tv/
Are we supposed to be able to read what you posted? Why does it look like garbage?
post #13107 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Are we supposed to be able to read what you posted? Why does it look like garbage?
Try this link: https://www.androidcentral.com/you-c...droid-tv-alexa

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #13108 of 13124 Old 06-27-2019, 08:43 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Thanks. But why was your original post full of garbage characters? Is it the device or app you are using to post?
post #13109 of 13124 Old 06-28-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Thanks. But why was your original post full of garbage characters? Is it the device or app you are using to post?
Jerry, I had that happen to me recently with this forum when posting from a web interface on my phone. I took down my post and re-posted it because it was a mess. What he wrote was "sets" and each of the letters "s" were replaced by "s" - exactly what happened to me. Since this happened to another user on this site, I wonder if it's something about the site's configuration in terms of the language encoding it presents and how some browsers / apps are interpreting it. There are definitely quirks about how this site works in general compared to the hundreds of others I use quite regularly.
post #13110 of 13124 Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
^ this issue has been reported to the site administrator as early as 7 June: hopefully they will fix it soon

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-fo...364-115-s.html

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page