Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17125Likes

post #1741 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post
Netflix/Anazon have very little 4K content and what they have are either their programming, nature movies, some recent TV shows and old movies. Not exactly what I pursue for 4K viewing. If 4K streaming is scarce than HDR will be considerably less.

Excluding VuDu, best source for 4K content of recent movies seems to be 4K BD and since those require HDR10 then I don't see the need currently (or for the next 5-10 years) to care about DV.

Add in the apparent fact DV is best suited for lesser quality panels and I see less reason to bother caring about it with this 940D. Soon as it becomes affordable or my budget increases I'm getting one.
Netflix original programming is highly regarded at least, I'm excited to watch Daredevil once they release the HDR version.

I just got my TV yesterday (went with the 940C) and watched an episode of Amazon's 'Mad Dogs' in 4K HDR. The show has some potential from a plot perspective, but visually, all I can say is OMG Wow! 4K HDR is just stupendously good, even on a stream, once UHD Blu-Ray players get a bit more mature (too many issues being reported about the Samsung and handshake issues right now) I'll jump into that as well.
Ken Ross and brickyardz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 06:32 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11106 Post(s)
Liked: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post
Right folks, a respected calibrator in the UK calibrated one of these yesterday and this is what he posted about it in comparison to the LG E6...
This seems harsh. While I am still working on getting all the settings dialed in to my satisfaction, I haven't noticed any of the imperfections he has described. I am comparing this set to my 65" X900A, which is a fine display as well, and there is no way I would conclude that the X940D is a "step back".
D-Bucket and brickyardz like this.
post #1743 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:04 AM
PMA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
^^^
if you set the D* box to native, you will notice the Sony display will pop up as resolution changes...
So, is it recommended to turn off native in the D* box to avoid seeing the display updating the resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
So, is it recommended to turn off native in the D* box to avoid seeing the display updating the resolution?
Only if seeing that little banner upsets you more than the benefit of letting the TV do all the format conversion.

I wouldn't care.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #1745 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
My guess is that he got a bad set. I think due to thinness of the D compared to the C, there seems to be a higher percentage of TVs with uniformity issues (especially with the 930D). Still, I wonder why they reduced the number of zones to 80 (if other than a simple cost cutting move).
post #1746 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
no: then scaling/processing would be done in the box: I think the Sony does it better

not a big deal either way...

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1747 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
Hi Andy, I am sure there will be many 940D Owners who will be disputing this "highly respected calibrator" opinion regarding viewers being disappointed watching this tv in the dark. Austin Jerry, Post #1687 , may have a different opinion as many other probably will. Some 940D Owners have had their TV's professionally calibrated, i.e. "bslep", and it would be nice to hear what the opinion is of the highly respected calibrator who calibrated his tv has to say on this matter. There is also a former ISF Calibrator "Cheezmo" who may have some input about this. While it is tough to refute a highly respected professional calibrator's opinion in regards to this TV's capabilities I put a lotta weight into what a lot of these 940D Owners say about their tvs. One thing I will say is that if you are in no rush and can hold off for another month or so if you are not aware of over here "across the pond" there is a highly respected event put on by Value Electronics called the VE Shootout where the major manufacturers top line displays are calibrated and compared all under fair, even, and equal conditions.
Could you please post the link top this article? Thank you.
post #1748 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The advantage I'm seeing with the 940D so are are:

1) BD upscaled to 4K is a show stopper;
2) bigger is better == more immersive;
3) bright image for both 2D and 3D;
4) I have some 4K/HDR content that I'll be checking out;
5) great black levels and full effortless fades to black -- nice effect in a blacked out room.

I also have a few projectors set up on 120", 92" and 85" HP screens in two separate light controlled rooms. In the room with the 940D the 85"
screen pulls down in front of the TV. I have the choice of using a JVC RS500, RS400 or an Epson LS10000. I rotate depending on content.
I would think the 940D would render your 85" screen redundant. When might you use it over the 940d?
post #1749 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post
Right folks, a respected calibrator in the UK calibrated one of these yesterday and this is what he posted about it in comparison to the LG E6...
'The Sony while a fine set has more uniformity issues than a 65" with a band. It's gone backwards vs last years set. It's nowhere near as bright, you can see fald lines. It's now got 80 10X8 zones vs last years 120 12X10. There's dse which was easily seen watching some tennis on clay. It halos, and large zones light up, the black level is higher and black bars float. Watch it in the dark and I think people will be disappointed. Compared to the E6 the image looks flat because of lack of dynamic range. It looks like the Sonys of 2 years ago. All this is down imho to the fact it's too thin and is harder to light uniformly. On the Sony Camp clip the peddles smear but not as bad as the panny (DX900). No smearing on the E6. It's clear they've cut corners for last year, it's a big area to light uniformly and to cut the zones is mental. Finally motion. The E6 is spot on. There's no issues with jerkiness. The only thing that looks better on the Sony is games of Thrones......'
You get the idea, so do any owners agree with any of that because I have to admit I haven't seen any owners complain about any of those things he mentions. I'm trying to decide whether to get a replacement E6 oled (it's got bands in the middle) or swap it for this 75" monster, was all set to get this until he posted those comments and put doubts in my mind...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Was this in an article? If it was can you post the link? If all of this was true, there would be no 940D owners thread here, people would not be buying them. People who have these, reviews on here have been positive. If there were issues with the set, it would be mentioned all over this thread here.
post #1750 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7297 Post(s)
Liked: 8102
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
no: then scaling/processing would be done in the box: I think the Sony does it better

not a big deal either way...
The only issue with 'native' is that it takes longer for channel changes between 1080i & 720p channels. That's the main reason I leave my box in 1080 mode, but I agree with Mark, I think the Sony does the better processing.
iatacs19 and bluemoon737 like this.
post #1751 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6510 Post(s)
Liked: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I am presently a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60" owner and have been long considering an upgrade to a 75" UHD TV. Out of all the displays I've seen the 75X840D seems to have the best picture by far.
I think this is about the only set you would be happy with come from a Pioneer plasma. OLED would be another option, but to small it is looking.....
post #1752 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The only issue with 'native' is that it takes longer for channel changes between 1080i & 720p channels. That's the main reason I leave my box in 1080 mode, but I agree with Mark, I think the Sony does the better processing.
If the Sony does the better processing, why would you opt for faster channel changes vs. better PQ?
post #1753 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
I posted some thoughts about the 940D and UHD/HDR over on AVForums -- post no. 1074.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/son...026717/page-36

I have to say I'm very disappointed with HDR in particular. As far as UHD is concerned the 940D is so good at up converting BD I'm not going to bother paying $10 more for the UHD version. With all the hype I was expecting more -- I'm disappointed and maybe I'll return my UHD player (I haven't decided yet).

Edit: I guess I feel the same way about HDR as some feel about 3D. It's just a pointless gimmick and a step backwards. The 940D doesn't have DV capabilities -- that's a check in its favour as far as I'm concerned. From what I've seen HDR was over sold by some convincing marketing. The difference between SD and BD was a giant leap forward. The difference between 1080p and UHD is almost imperceptible on screens smaller than 120". From what I've seen HDR is a step backwards.
zAndy12 likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 05-20-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #1754 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7297 Post(s)
Liked: 8102
HDR is hugely variable by content. You will see the same comments on variability in OLED threads, so it's display-type independent.

So I wouldn't judge HDR too quickly before seeing the best content. Most content leaves something to be desired, but when it's good, it's very good.
brickyardz, dr0z77 and TomcatTLC like this.
post #1755 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesshakti View Post
Could you please post the link top this article? Thank you.

Hi Jesshakti, you will need to ask zAndy12, Post # 1737, what the link is to the article re: highly respected calibrator's opinion about the 940D. I have no information on this. To be up front with you about this article I have an issue with this "highly respected calibrator's" tone and wording if in fact this was taken in context of what his article was trying to relay. It seemed more of a sales pitch for the E6 OLED Display then an unbiased review. I myself knowing that one can obtain a less then standard acceptable product that I would want to research a little further to see if other displays of the same model have similar issues which would mean a design flaw and not base my review on just one single display unit especially when comparing against other brands. But each their own.
post #1756 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
HDR is hugely variable by content. You will see the same comments on variability in OLED threads, so it's display-type independent.

So I wouldn't judge HDR too quickly before seeing the best content. Most content leaves something to be desired, but when it's good, it's very good.
Here's a problem I have with HDR -- for years we were told not to crush shadow detail. When I watch the BD version the low APL shadow detail is there. With the HDR version it's crushed out of existence and I'm squinting in the scenes with high lights. So now it's supposedly the director's intent that the shadows detail is crushed on the HDR version but not on the SDR BD? Something is wrong with this picture -- there's a real contradiction here. Also, the colours look overcooked to me and I guess that's where some HDR calibration might come in handy once there are some standards.
post #1757 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12560 Post(s)
Liked: 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Here's a problem I have with HDR -- for years we were told not to crush shadow detail. When I watch the BD version the low APL shadow detail is there. With the HDR version it's crushed out of existence and I'm squinting in the scenes with high lights. So now it's supposedly the director's intent that the shadows detail is crushed on the HDR version but not on the SDR BD? Something is wrong with this picture -- there's a real contradiction here. Also, the colours look overcooked to me and I guess that's where some HDR calibration might come in handy once there are some standards.

Settings.

Calibration.

It's almost a joke that you're judging an entire format with zero calibration done. You should know better.

If you're getting that much crushed detail, obviously something is wrong.
CCsoftball7 and bluemoon737 like this.
post #1758 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Deja Vu, did you setting the HDMI port to "enhanced"? (the one that the Samsung player is connected to). I think that's what the problem is. Otherwise you should see a big difference even with factory settings.
Deja Vu likes this.
post #1759 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
My guess is that he got a bad set. I think due to thinness of the D compared to the C, there seems to be a higher percentage of TVs with uniformity issues (especially with the 930D). Still, I wonder why they reduced the number of zones to 80 (if other than a simple cost cutting move).
Is there any confirmation that they reduced the zones?, I find this hard to believe.

Joe
post #1760 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Red face

Quote:
Hi Jesshakti, you will need to ask zAndy12, Post # 1737, what the link is to the article re: highly respected calibrator's opinion about the 940D. I have no information on this. To be up front with you about this article I have an issue with this "highly respected calibrator's" tone and wording if in fact this was taken in context of what his article was trying to relay. It seemed more of a sales pitch for the E6 OLED Display then an unbiased review. I myself knowing that one can obtain a less then standard acceptable product that I would want to research a little further to see if other displays of the same model have similar issues which would mean a design flaw and not base my review on just one single display unit especially when comparing against other brands. But each their own.

The calibrator said in a later post that both he and the owner were very happy with the calibrated PQ, and that it was the best LCD he had ever seen. He also said, that the issues noted were visible on every (or most, can't remember the exact wording) other TV he had seen, so it's not quite as bad as it seems on reading his first post.

I'm sorry I have to edit this post. I can't find the part where I quoted "it was the best LCD he had ever seen". He actually said the end result was superb for an LCD.

Link:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/son...026717/page-35
bruceames and TomcatTLC like this.

Last edited by mdray; 05-21-2016 at 03:00 AM.
post #1761 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Is there any confirmation that they reduced the zones?, I find this hard to believe.
Not "official" confirmation, but a few owners here counted the zones, one of them using the same method as described on the HDTVtest review (counted the zones as they are extinguished rather than being lit up).

Hopefully that's wrong though and that even that method isn't reliable with the 940D.
post #1762 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Deja Vu;44168906]I posted some thoughts about the 940D and UHD/HDR over on AVForums -- post no. 1074.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/son...026717/page-36

I have to say I'm very disappointed with HDR in particular. As far as UHD is concerned the 940D is so good at up converting BD I'm not going to bother paying $10 more for the UHD version. With all the hype I was expecting more -- I'm disappointed and maybe I'll return my UHD player (I haven't decided yet).

Thank you for your comment on the Sony upscaling! Every bit of info is useful
post #1763 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
The calibrator said in a later post that both he and the owner were very happy with the calibrated PQ, and that it was the best LCD he had ever seen. He also said, that the issues noted were visible on every (or most, can't remember the exact wording) other TV he had seen, so it's not quite as bad as it seems on reading his first post.
Also from reading the other thread it sounds like he has a huge bias for OLED and after all he was comparing this to an OLED.
zAndy12 likes this.
post #1764 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I apologize, I quoted your post by mistake, I meant to quote the original poster. But I see someone else also requested this link so hopefully we'll see it.
post #1765 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Not "official" confirmation, but a few owners here counted the zones, one of them using the same method as described on the HDTVtest review (counted the zones as they are extinguished rather than being lit up).

Hopefully that's wrong though and that even that method isn't reliable with the 940D.
Bruce, there are so many questions here regarding the zone count. Can you point me to the HDTVtest review so I can understand how to count the zones myself?

I tried searching the HDTVtest web site, but I believe this set has a different product ID in Europe.
post #1766 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

Thank you mdray for this added information which does change the tone of the review. By chance would you have the link to this article ? I would be interested in reading it in its entirety.
post #1767 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Bruce, there are so many questions here regarding the zone count. Can you point me to the HDTVtest review so I can understand how to count the zones myself?

I tried searching the HDTVtest web site, but I believe this set has a different product ID in Europe.
This is their review for the 940C. Hopefully they will post the 940D review soon.
post #1768 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
All I can think with regard to the backlight issues is that he is standing up close to the screen looking at it off axis (as calibrators often do). I was just playing with the Youtube local dimming video (trying to see if I could count anything other than 80 zones, I can't) and if I stood dead on (as from my normal viewing position) it was really hard to see the dimming, but just a little of axis and it was really obvious what was going on. This was not in a TOTALLY darker room, but I closed the blinds.

So, I'm going to argue that from a normal central viewing position at a reasonable distance, it is much less of an issue than he was seeming to make it out to be.
zAndy12 likes this.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #1769 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Netflix original programming is highly regarded at least, I'm excited to watch Daredevil once they release the HDR version.

I just got my TV yesterday (went with the 940C) and watched an episode of Amazon's 'Mad Dogs' in 4K HDR. The show has some potential from a plot perspective, but visually, all I can say is OMG Wow! 4K HDR is just stupendously good, even on a stream, once UHD Blu-Ray players get a bit more mature (too many issues being reported about the Samsung and handshake issues right now) I'll jump into that as well.
I got the Samsung UHD Blu-Ray player! I think you would be able to use it! Occasionally it take a few seconds for the picture to appear but it does. It is fun to play with and also to stream from! Nice to have 4K steaming video with 5.1 audio. UHD Discs vary in quality like Blu-rays do. Some pretty good , some really great!
post #1770 of 13143 Old 05-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm Happy With The 3D Performance On My XBR75 X940D

Other than for the fantastic picture and 4K capability, the main reason I bought the XBR X940D was for the 3D capability. Since TV manufactures seem to have decided to abandon those of us who enjoy 3D at home as a failed revenue stream, due to their own inept marketing, but that's another story, I wanted to replace my existing set with one that was 4K and 3D. Having had the set for a couple weeks and watching a lot of 3D Blu-rays to test out performance I have to say overall I'm very pleased with the 3D performance of this set even though there are the usual problems with crosstalk found on most LED sets with active glasses.

The picture on this set is undeniably gorgeous with deep blacks and superior up scaling and motion processing. This is the finest TV I have ever owned and I'm more than pleased with it. It handles the 3D image very well but crosstalk will raise it's ugly head in the usual problematic areas of very high contrast. For instance a black bow tie against a bright white shirt. With the amazing black levels of this set I guess it's to be expected as I have only seen 0 crosstalk on DLP units and none of these had the great black levels of this set. Having just seen Captain America: Civil War at the theater in 3D I was constantly reminded of the poor black levels on the theater screen and how great this is going to look on my X940D.

The 3D settings on the set give you a choice of 3D depth and glasses brightness. The 3D depth adjustment seemed to work best at the default 0 setting. This gave the least amount of crosstalk and the overall the depth and pop-out of the image seems to me to be what you would see at the theater. On the +1 setting crosstalk started to appear in the usual problem areas quite noticeably. The X940D uses Sony 3D glasses that connect via Bluetooth and I've had some problems getting these to connect to the set. Once connected they worked fine, although I've had to reconnect them on almost each session. Also, I had a problem when the Bluetooth transmitter in the set turned itself off and couldn't be turned on again. I had to re-boot the set back to it's original factory settings to be able to turn the Bluetooth back on. Overall I like the design of the Sony glasses as they are quite light and have a removable nosepiece that make wearing them over glasses more comfortable. As mentioned above the set also has a glasses brightness control that makes incremental changes in the amount of brightness that comes through the glasses. I've found the medium setting seems to present the best picture brightness to my eyes.

I tested the TV on a number of Blu-ray 3D discs that were somewhat problematic for crosstalk on my past 3D sets. (a Samsung and a Sharp Aquos) All looked amazingly better on this set as the added brightness and contrast made the pictures pop in a way, even with 3D glasses on, that they didn't on my other sets. Problem discs on my past sets such as How to Train Your Dragon, Disney's A Christmas Carol, Monsters vs Aliens and Polar Express, among others, all looked much improved. Films with little crosstalk problems such as Jurassic World, The Avengers films and Hobbit series all looked fantastic with added boosts to color and contrast to make them look great.

So, bottom line I recommend the X940D as a good choice to enjoy your 3D Blu-ray collection and take advantage of all the benefits of 4K and Sony's excellent color and motion processing. The large scree size also adds to the immersion while watching a film. It's not perfect but close enough for me to feel secure I will be able to enjoy my 3D library of Blu-ray's until the TV industry decides, if ever, to give home 3D another shot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-15 19.13.39.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	1450194  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version