Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17141Likes

post #2851 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesshakti View Post
Just got back from Magnolia, where i ordered my 940D THANK YOU to all who took your time to post your experiences! It directly caused me to buy. I'm Happier than a clam- I got the most knowledgeable A/V guy I've ever found.

For whatever reason , the previous Best Buy I went to did not have it set up right and Blu Rays looked grainy. At this store they had 20 or more Blu Rays on tap and I could pick and choose BluRays- he removed all motion processing and enhancements and finally I could see what you guys are seeing- a terrific upscaled Blu Ray pic, as good or better than my 1080P plasma- but bigger, brighter, pretty good blacks, no SOE, and at least for the 45 mins I watched, motion looked fine.

The set will be delivered Wednesday, I'll post my observations. Had to also get a couple of toslink cables and some newer HDMI cables, and a 4K Roku. I assume I can run any device via HDMI directly into the set and get 5.1 sound via the toslink cable out to my Yammie receiver, without running a toslink cable from each device- is that right? Anyone?

I have to admit, they also had a G6 Oled- but it was on vivid and I didn't take the time to play with it- OMG blacks to die for, detail and stunning colors- sexy styling- it had the SOE but I could have eliminated that but just didn't want to mess with it. After watching for a while motion didn't seem quite as realistic as the Sony- and I wanted a 75"- but if there was no Sony I would grab that 65" OLED. The Value Electronics shoot out is Wednesday, I think, BTW.
You can run the optical out, but cannot pass all audio formats out. S/pdif cannot handle some of the higher quality audio encodings (not enough bandwidth). I'm not sure what the tv would do if e.g. your Blu-ray player sent a truhd signal out. Perhaps others know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
Just a friendly reminder so you don't forget to replace your surge protector along with your tv. Hate to see you have to go through this again !

I wish to thank everyone who spoke about surge protectors and AC Conditioners in earlier posts ! I just replaced mine from one I have had for many years and no doubt had already sacrificed itself but has continued to pass unprotected AC Current through to my AV Products ! Not only am I protected but the video and audio content is so much more crisp and clear !
I didn't see the earlier post re: surge protectors- I have 2 surge protectors in my AV area, they're maybe 8 years old. Would you replace them simply just because of age? Anybody got good suggestions for replacement? Thank you.
post #2853 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Yep, every model made these days. Even the good old plasma displays had issues, not many but they did. What a technology that was let go
Stopped at BB, spoke to the GM and the Sony rep. Both said this is Sony's top of the line and that there should not be and banding or blotches so they ordered me a replacement.
bslep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I didn't see the earlier post re: surge protectors- I have 2 surge protectors in my AV area, they're maybe 8 years old. Would you replace them simply just because of age? Anybody got good suggestions for replacement? Thank you.
Stay away from the cheap surge protectors that sell at local hardware stores. They actually degrade the sonice sound of a system. There are companies that sell protectors made for HT/stereo systems. The better the unit, the more it protects, cleans the signal and lowers the floor noise.
brickyardz and TomcatTLC like this.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #2855 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salavs View Post
You can run the optical out, but cannot pass all audio formats out. S/pdif cannot handle some of the higher quality audio encodings (not enough bandwidth). I'm not sure what the tv would do if e.g. your Blu-ray player sent a truhd signal out. Perhaps others know.
You're right about that. What about passing the HDMI from say a Roku 4 to an HDMI splitter, than running one HDMI cable from the splitter to my receiver just for sound, and the other directly to the TV just for picture? Anyone try that?
post #2856 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Stay away from the cheap surge protectors that sell at local hardware stores. They actually degrade the sonice sound of a system. There are companies that sell protectors made for HT/stereo systems. The better the unit, the more it protects, cleans the signal and lowers the floor noise.
Thanks. Any specific suggestions? I have a Belkin and a Monster now, I think about 10 outlet's each.
post #2857 of 13191 Old 06-18-2016, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelluccirx View Post
I had a question regarding what picture settings people were using for HDR sources (i.e. Samsung 4K player, HDR streaming from Amazon, Netflix, etc.)? I've been using Jerry's gamma 2.4 settings and the picture looks awesome on non-HDR sources. I know it's tough to calibrate for this currently, but I was curious what folks were doing...leaving it on the default settings for HDR mode or tweaking a bit? The default does look pretty good, but I was wondering if others had success with their own inputs? Thanks.
When Chad calibrated my 940D he did a seperate calibration
For HDR setting. It can be improved over the factory setting!
brickyardz likes this.
post #2858 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick334443 View Post
TomcatTLC...why do you need both? Do you need to plug the 15i into the PST-8D surge protector? thanks

Hi Rick. No you do not need to plug either unit into each other. Both are separate source units. Due to my AV setup, location, and configuration I "wanted" separate protectors. The 15i has my tv, receiver, BD Player, etc. connected to it and the PST has my computer , modem, router, etc. connected to it. My computer is connected to my tv via HDMI and I use my tv as my computer monitor.
post #2859 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

Here is a good place to start especially # 9 ... but I will disagree with #4 because my eyes and ears tell me different :

9 things you should know about surge protectors - CNET

www.cnet.com/news/9-things-you-should-know-about-surge-protectors/ - 199k -

... Also of importance and interest :

5 Things to Know About Whole House Surge Protection - TecHome ...

techomebuilder.com/.../5-things-to-know-about-whole-house-surge-protection - 178k
brickyardz and kgraf18 like this.

Last edited by TomcatTLC; 06-19-2016 at 05:35 AM.
post #2860 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Here is a good place to start especially # 9 ... but I will disagree with #4 because my eyes and ears tell me different :

5 Things to Know About Whole House Surge Protection
Thank you- it looks like your second link didn't post..?
post #2861 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:

5 Things to Know About Whole House Surge Protection
Ah, I see, it's referenced in Geoff's article.
post #2862 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hi Rick. No you do not need to plug either unit into each other. Both are separate source units. Due to my AV setup, location, and configuration I "wanted" separate protectors. The 15i has my tv, receiver, BD Player, etc. connected to it and the PST has my computer , modem, router, etc. connected to it. My computer is connected to my tv via HDMI and I use my tv as my computer monitor.
Ah, I understand now. Thank you!
post #2863 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 06:20 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11292 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
You're right about that. What about passing the HDMI from say a Roku 4 to an HDMI splitter, than running one HDMI cable from the splitter to my receiver just for sound, and the other directly to the TV just for picture? Anyone try that?
When I saw you original post, I thought you might have an AVR without HDMI support. Based on this post, it would seem the AVR does support HDMI. So why are you not using the AVR as the switcher, connecting all devices to it, and then having one HDMI connection to the TV? Why use an HDMI splitter?
post #2864 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
Problems with electronics typically arise during the first year, so I think that you are well covered with the manufacturers warranty plus the extended coverage that your credit card provides.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll save $1,500 and ditch the extended warranty.
markrubin likes this.
post #2865 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When I saw you original post, I thought you might have an AVR without HDMI support. Based on this post, it would seem the AVR does support HDMI. So why are you not using the AVR as the switcher, connecting all devices to it, and then having one HDMI connection to the TV? Why use an HDMI splitter?
That's a good question. My Yamaha AVR and all my devices are 1080P, not 4K. I just ordered the 4K Roku and all new HDMI cables. My plan is to feed the Roku directly into the Sony to get 4K material - but how do I get 5.1 sound/? Either throught the optical out from the TV back to my AVR- which won't support DD+ - or hopefully from the separate split HDMI signal from the Roku to an HDMI splitter to the AVR. In theory it seems sound.
post #2866 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
Quote:
That's a good question. My Yamaha AVR and all my devices are 1080P, not 4K. I just ordered the 4K Roku and all new HDMI cables. My plan is to feed the Roku directly into the Sony to get 4K material - but how do I get 5.1 sound/? Either throught the optical out from the TV back to my AVR- which won't support DD+ - or hopefully from the separate split HDMI signal from the Roku to an HDMI splitter to the AVR. In theory it seems sound.
unfortunately I don't think an HDMI splitter will work with the Roku and your AVR:
would be interested in your results

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #2867 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Roku 4 has an optical output, just hook the HDMI to your TV, the optical out to your AVR.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #2868 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelluccirx View Post
I had a question regarding what picture settings people were using for HDR sources (i.e. Samsung 4K player, HDR streaming from Amazon, Netflix, etc.)? I've been using Jerry's gamma 2.4 settings and the picture looks awesome on non-HDR sources. I know it's tough to calibrate for this currently, but I was curious what folks were doing...leaving it on the default settings for HDR mode or tweaking a bit? The default does look pretty good, but I was wondering if others had success with their own inputs? Thanks.
When Chad calibrated my 940D he did a seperate calibration
For HDR setting. It can be improved over the factory setting!
I remember reading that when you posted you had Chad calibrate your set. The biggest settings I've been switching between is under the "reset" section of the HDR picture mode you can chose to either reset it to factory settings (like all the individual picture modes) or reset to HDR vivid mode. Now normally I know as a rule of thumb anything that reads vivid, dynamic, etc., usually equals "torch," but to my eyes the vivid mode on this set with an HDR source really pops on screen. The standard HDR preset looks much more dull in comparison even though both start with maxing out brightness. The vivid HDR mode also does activate some of the other features most recommend staying away from, such as the contrast enhancers and even reality creation, but they don't seem to have a noticeable negative impact. In fact, watching some of the Revenant last night on 4K blu Ray looked phenomenal on vivid. Another big difference is the standard preset uses neutral color temperature, while vivid uses cool. Without going into specifics about Chad's results, would you say the standard or vivid HDR mode on this set would be a good place to start? Also, has anyone else on here tried messing with these settings at all? Thanks in advance for all your help.
post #2869 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
Roku 4 has an optical output, just hook the HDMI to your TV, the optical out to your AVR.
Yes I can do that- but the optical out will not support DD+, which to my ears is a big upgrade in sound, and most of Netflix and Amazon are in DD+.
post #2870 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
unfortunately I don't think an HDMI splitter will work with the Roku and your AVR:
would be interested in your results
Thanks- I'll post as soon a I know- probably won't get the splitter for a couple of days. I'm curious- Why don't you think it would work, Mark?
post #2871 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
Quote:
Thanks- I'll post as soon a I know- probably won't get the splitter for a couple of days. I'm curious- Why don't you think it would work, Mark?
if any of the ports of a 4K HDMI splitter are connected to a 1080 device, then that is the max resolution you will get on any port
shaggy244 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 06-19-2016 at 07:40 AM.
post #2872 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
940c Users Settings: Viper32 / Shootout / CCsoftball7 / nobrien1 Contributions

If ya would like to try, a spreadsheet with settings I am sure will go well with the 940D. If you like things a little Vivid with POP try my settings. Congrats on the New set.
Viper,

How do I get to your vivid settings....I couldn't find a link.

Notes:

- Proud 940C owner here (dying to know what the 940D does better or worse).
- Star Trek - Into the Darknetss & Revenant on 4k UHD are both reference material to show off to your friends.

This community is great!!

Freddie
markrubin and brickyardz like this.
post #2873 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Thanks. Any specific suggestions? I have a Belkin and a Monster now, I think about 10 outlet's each.
There's a lot more to power protectors, suppressors, conditioners, than how many outlets they have. Do a google search about the differences in types of units. The more you learn, the more you'll understand how important it is to have one in your system.

Here's a short list of what companies I looked into before I bought mine.
(I had some of these in my home demoing them. I could hear the difference they made. In my system, Richard's made the best improvement)

Transparent Audio
PS Audio
Furman
Synergistic Research
Tice Audio
Richard Gray's Power Company. (here's a link about Richard's) http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2...rays-rgpc.html

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite

Last edited by bekindrewind; 06-19-2016 at 08:29 AM.
post #2874 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
if any of the ports of a 4K HDMI splitter are connected to a 1080 device, then that is the max resolution you will get on any port
Wow, I didn't know that. Ok, thanks- looks like I'm stuck with optical out from either the Roku or the sony to the AVR- until I upgrade my receiver.
post #2875 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
There's a lot more to power protectors, suppressors, conditioners, than how many outlets they have. Do a google search about the differences in types of units. The more you learn, the more you'll understand how important it is to have one in your system.

(I had some of these in my home demoing them. I could hear the difference they made. In my system, Richard's made the best improvement)

Transparent Audio
PS Audio
Furman
Synergistic Research
Tice Audio
Richard Gray's Power Company. (here's a link about Richard's) http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2...rays-rgpc.html
thank you! I'll read up on them.
post #2876 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Transparent Audio
PS Audio
Furman
Synergistic Research
Tice Audio
Tice Audio closed its doors years ago. Panamax is also a good supplier.
brickyardz likes this.
post #2877 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 AM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I posted this on the thread for my Denon AVR but wanted to check here as well in case I may have done something with TV settings that is causing this issue:

Hi all,

I have the X6200W model that I purchased right after getting my Sony 940D 4k TV. I had DirecTV install their 4K box and am using the AVR to connect my various devices to the TV. When I originally set up the Denon, it passed the DirecTV 4K channels to the TV with no issue but something may have changed as I am now not able to get the 4K channels to work through the AVR. I get an error message on the TV that there is no signal and to change the input.

When connecting directly from the DirecTV box to the TV, the 4K channels work with no issue so I suspect the issue is with the AVR but not sure what or why. I reset the AVR to factory settings and it still did not correct this issue.

Is there any suggestions from other users on what to check in the AVR setup?

Cheers,
Paul
post #2878 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Due to my AV setup and location I purchased a Furman Elite-15i and a Furman PST-8D. I have a propane gas generator so I do not need the battery back up. Hate having no tv/computer and no warm water showers ! ... also beware of purchasing from an authorized dealer ... no authorization ... no warranty !
Thanks Tom!

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dead! Bad panel! 940D #3 almost dead, banding again!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
post #2879 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Transparent Audio
PS Audio
Furman
Synergistic Research
Tice Audio
Is the Richard Gray the one that you purchased?

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dead! Bad panel! 940D #3 almost dead, banding again!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
post #2880 of 13191 Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I posted this on the thread for my Denon AVR but wanted to check here as well in case I may have done something with TV settings that is causing this issue:

Hi all,

I have the X6200W model that I purchased right after getting my Sony 940D 4k TV. I had DirecTV install their 4K box and am using the AVR to connect my various devices to the TV. When I originally set up the Denon, it passed the DirecTV 4K channels to the TV with no issue but something may have changed as I am now not able to get the 4K channels to work through the AVR. I get an error message on the TV that there is no signal and to change the input.

When connecting directly from the DirecTV box to the TV, the 4K channels work with no issue so I suspect the issue is with the AVR but not sure what or why. I reset the AVR to factory settings and it still did not correct this issue.

Is there any suggestions from other users on what to check in the AVR setup?

Cheers,
Paul
Maybe this post will help...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post44755937

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
3d-glasses , paring , x940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page