Official LG 43/49 UH6100/UH6500 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 224 Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Official LG 43/49 UH6100/UH6500 Thread

I wanted to start a thread since when I was buying I couldn't find any information.

LG 43/49 UH6100
Black Bezel
ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
TruMotion 120Hz
IPS Panel
UHD Mastering Engine
True Black Panel
True Color Accuracy
HDR Pro
4K Upscaler

LG 43/49 UH6500
Silver Bezel
ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
TruMotion 120Hz
IPS Panel
UHD Mastering Engine
True Black Panel
HDR Pro
Color Prime Pro
True Color Accuracy
4K Upscaler

The main differences are the True Black panel and the Color Prime Pro on the UH6500. Price difference is about $150. I have the UH6100 and I am not sure if the UH6500 is worth the $150, maybe someone has some experience with both.

I have only had it for a day but I really like the Web OS 3.0 interface. I have watched some 4K and HDR content.
Netflix 4K
Everything looks very crisp, I can tell a difference from my older LG 1080p TV.
Hulu HD(?)
Whatever Hulu's high bitrate stream, it also looks really good.
Amazon 4K/HDR
So here is where HDR gets inconsistent. You can read some details in the UH8500 thread. Basically from show to show I get picture quality issues. Red Oaks and Made Dogs looks good (Mad Dogs a little on the dim side). Bosch and Man in High Castle look really washed out. I need to try and compare them to just regular UHD or 1080p feeds on the TV. Amazon's content categorization is kind of a mess right now.

Picture Settings:
Looking at other UH settings it seems that Calibrated Dark is pretty close to dialed in. But my wife says its too dark and I was unable to make it brighter. I am using APS. I dialed in a few settings as it was too bright and I didn't like the SOE. But otherwise it looks pretty good. Maybe some red push but out of all of the settings my wife was most happy with it, so thats where it landed. I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Initally I wanted to get the 43UH6100 see how I liked it, and decide to spend more on the UH6500 or move to something like the M43. But as far as I can tell I am really happy with the UH6100 and I am not sure its worth the hassle of a return to BB and then having to order the UH6500 (only avaialbe to me from online - Amazon is where I was going to go). I could get a bad panel and then have to deal with online returns and exchanges. Unless someone can say that the UH6500 is a must have improvement over the UH6100. I will try to answer any questions, I know there is little info out there.

One other thing I am not sure if its a RGBW panel. I assume it is. To my eyes I have no idea. Its slim pickins for 43" TVs and this one had HDR. But I have no idea how good the HDR is, but its is doing something.

Update 7/19/2016
TV update 3.20.25
Netflix update to support HDR!
Larry Rosenberg likes this.

Last edited by Character_Zero; 07-19-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Character_Zero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 224 Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I wanted to start a thread since when I was buying I couldn't find any information.

I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Initally I wanted to get the 43UH6100 see how I liked it, and decide to spend more on the UH6500 or move to something like the M43. But as far as I can tell I am really happy with the UH6100 and I am not sure its worth the hassle of a return to BB and then having to order the UH6500 (only avaialbe to me from online - Amazon is where I was going to go). I could get a bad panel and then have to deal with online returns and exchanges. Unless someone can say that the UH6500 is a must have improvement over the UH6100. I will try to answer any questions, I know there is little info out there.

One other thing I am not sure if its a RGBW panel. I assume it is. To my eyes I have no idea. Its slim pickins for 43" TVs and this one had HDR. But I have no idea how good the HDR is, but its is doing something.
I just picked up the 43" model at BB this afternoon. It replaced a 24" HD Vizio so it's a big - no pun intended - difference. What I can say after set up and checking out a few HDR titles on Amazon is that it's not a top of the line set, for sure, but for the money and for where I am using it in the spare bedroom/office, it rocks! It's connected to a Samsung 5.1 Theater in a Box system and for under a grand (if you include the original price of the TIAB) I have most of the essential ingredients of a decent home theater in my home office.

I'm looking at this product in exactly the opposite way that I view the top of the line 65" Samsung we bought in 2014 for our main TV/AVS. I have much higher expectations for that equipment which, for the most part are, indeed met. But with the technology so rapidly changing again, I'm turning toward looking at products like this which do offer the highest current resolution and at least some form of HDR as reasonable, if not mandated, solutions for the time being. These are after all consumer electronics.

So I don't really care at this price point/intended use if it is a 10 bit panel or not. And at this time, I'm not interested in spending any more money until the standards - and prices - settle down. Many next year, or the year after that.

Last edited by Larry Rosenberg; 04-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #3 of 224 Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I just picked up the 43" model at BB this afternoon. It replaced a 24" HD Vizio so it's a big - no pun intended - difference. What I can say after set up and checking out a few HDR titles on Amazon is that it's not a top of the line set, for sure, but for the money and for where I am using it in the spare bedroom/office, it rocks! It's connected to a Samsung 5.1 Theater in a Box system and for under a grand (if you include the original price of the TIAB) I have most of the essential ingredients of a decent home theater in my home office.

I'm looking at this product in exactly the opposite way that I view the top of the line 65" Samsung we bought in 2014 for our main TV/AVS. I have much higher expectations for that equipment which, for the most part are, indeed met. But with the technology so rapidly changing again, I'm turning toward looking at products like this which do offer the highest current resolution and at least some form of HDR as reasonable, if not mandated, solutions for the time being. These are after all consumer electronics.

So I don't really care at this price point/intended use if it is a 10 bit panel or not. And at this time, I'm not interested in spending any more money until the standards - and prices - settle down. Many next year, or the year after that.
Yeah its not my main TV but yet its my most used TV right now. I think Red Oaks may be the best reference HDR on the set. Hopefully there will be more control over the 4K stream where you can opt out of the HDR version. I think on Amazon if you want the 4K version of a show and it has HDR you get HDR by default. I would be interested in what picture settings you end up with.
Character_Zero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 224 Old 04-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
Hopefully there will be more control over the 4K stream where you can opt out of the HDR version. I think on Amazon if you want the 4K version of a show and it has HDR you get HDR by default.
Yes, and on this set, it seems that when there is an HDR source you hand over control and cannot use any other picture profile, although you can customize that profile so that it amounts to the same thing. Like most video fans, I have a RoKu 4 and a half dozen other devices with apps, some, like the RoKu 4, are also capable of 4K so if HDR actually does become too annoying on this TV, I can switch to those devices. So far, I am enjoying the default HDR and also most of the other picture profiles on non-HDR content. I lean toward "Vivid" so switching from that to HDR can be like day and night - pun intended. But overall, I'm thrilled with the situation.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #5 of 224 Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Yes, and on this set, it seems that when there is an HDR source you hand over control and cannot use any other picture profile, although you can customize that profile so that it amounts to the same thing. Like most video fans, I have a RoKu 4 and a half dozen other devices with apps, some, like the RoKu 4, are also capable of 4K so if HDR actually does become too annoying on this TV, I can switch to those devices. So far, I am enjoying the default HDR and also most of the other picture profiles on non-HDR content. I lean toward "Vivid" so switching from that to HDR can be like day and night - pun intended. But overall, I'm thrilled with the situation.
Yeah that is one good thing about set top boxes, you can always go around a set's "smartness". It seems the UH8500 sets are seeing the same inconsistency in HDR from Amazon so hopefully there is a universal fix.

Also FYI BB dropped the price this week by $50. They allow 1 price adjustment during the return period.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #6 of 224 Old 04-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
Also FYI BB dropped the price this week by $50. They allow 1 price adjustment during the return period.
Many thinks for this information. I just called the "Price Match Guarantee" number from their website and $50 is now on its way back to my account in "5-7 business days." I believe our Los Angeles Department of Water and Power may also have a $10 rebate program for buying this energy efficient model, but I have not yet confirmed that.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #7 of 224 Old 04-24-2016, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Many thinks for this information. I just called the "Price Match Guarantee" number from their website and $50 is now on its way back to my account in "5-7 business days." I believe our Los Angeles Department of Water and Power may also have a $10 rebate program for buying this energy efficient model, but I have not yet confirmed that.
Did you buy it online or in store?
Character_Zero is offline  
post #8 of 224 Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
Did you buy it online or in store?
I bought it in a store after ordering it for pickup online. It was in stock in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles stores.

I want to now add that I have had a chance to look at the 4k stuff on Youtube and wow. I have never seen anything better on any TV! This experience has really changed my attitude about "high end" TVs. I doubt I will ever pay north of $3,500 for a television set again. I am now focused on value and that is plentiful in very affordable equipment in this changing technology and consumer electronics market. We actually saw this with personal computers and it seems to duplicate in every technology product. Better products for less - often much - less money.

I found it particularly rewarding that the Samsung "SUHD" demos on Youtube looked better on this LG UH6100 than they do on my Samsung UN65HU9000, and that is saying something cuz they look pretty good on that set.

Money on this set was very well spent.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #9 of 224 Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I bought it in a store after ordering it for pickup online. It was in stock in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles stores.

I want to now add that I have had a chance to look at the 4k stuff on Youtube and wow. I have never seen anything better on any TV! This experience has really changed my attitude about "high end" TVs. I doubt I will ever pay north of $3,500 for a television set again. I am now focused on value and that is plentiful in very affordable equipment in this changing technology and consumer electronics market. We actually saw this with personal computers and it seems to duplicate in every technology product. Better products for less - often much - less money.

I found it particularly rewarding that the Samsung "SUHD" demos on Youtube looked better on this LG UH6100 than they do on my Samsung UN65HU9000, and that is saying something cuz they look pretty good on that set.

Money on this set was very well spent.
I have not looked at any Youtube videos yet. Everything from Netflix I have watched looks really good.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #10 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
HDR on Netflix?

Is anyone getting HDR from Netflix on a 2016 43" LG UH6100?

I am not and when I called Netflix the rep. had no list of specific models able to get HDR - just "2016 HDR capable" TVs. My account met all other criteria, so it's down to the TV which I just purchased Saturday very much with HDR in mind.

I do get HDR from Amazon, although there is no "HDR banner," but when I play certain titles HDR engages.

Thanks for any replies.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #11 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Is anyone getting HDR from Netflix on a 2016 43" LG UH6100?

I am not and when I called Netflix the rep. had no list of specific models able to get HDR - just "2016 HDR capable" TVs. My account met all other criteria, so it's down to the TV which I just purchased Saturday very much with HDR in mind.

I do get HDR from Amazon, although there is no "HDR banner," but when I play certain titles HDR engages.

Thanks for any replies.

I am not sure anyone is getting HDR from Netflix right now. I think only Dolby Vision for the time being and even then its only Marco Polo. I don't think they have flipped the HDR10 switch.

Edit : Looking around it seems that maybe LG needs to push an update to Netflix to enable it.

Last edited by Character_Zero; 04-25-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #12 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I am not sure anyone is getting HDR from Netflix right now. I think only Dolby Vision for the time being and even then its only Marco Polo. I don't think they have flipped the HDR10 switch.

Edit : Looking around it seems that maybe LG needs to push an update to Netflix to enable it.
Well, that's why I asked. There was an update to the Netflix app today but no change I can see. Nexflix press releases say "Marco Polo" is available now with 150 hours of HDR content coming by year's end.

Do you see the HDR banner on Amazon? I do not see a banner but I do get HDR on certain titles, still I'm curious as to why I do not see the banner.

Love this TV, especially for the price, but HDR was a requirement and I am within the return period at BB. I would hate to return the set but this guessing game about the future is what I'm going through with my top of the line but 2014 Samsung and I was very much expecting to avoid such uncertainties with this new TV, regardless of its low cost.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #13 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Well, that's why I asked. There was an update to the Netflix app today but no change I can see. Nexflix press releases say "Marco Polo" is available now with 150 hours of HDR content coming by year's end.

Do you see the HDR banner on Amazon? I do not see a banner but I do get HDR on certain titles, still I'm curious as to why I do not see the banner.

Love this TV, especially for the price, but HDR was a requirement and I am within the return period at BB. I would hate to return the set but this guessing game about the future is what I'm going through with my top of the line but 2014 Samsung and I was very much expecting to avoid such uncertainties with this new TV, regardless of its low cost.
I am not sure what is going on with Netflix. All I know is it seems from other threads, the Netflix HDR10 update is not widespread. Maybe contact LG? I was not expecting much in the way of HDR on this set, its more like a bonus to me. On Amazon it seems I get HDR on the show that have the badge. I have to scroll down the catagories on the main Amazon page to get to "UHD TV Shows" and then select a show. Then I select the episode (not click "Watch Now") and then on the episode page it has the HDR badge.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #14 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I am not sure what is going on with Netflix. All I know is it seems from other threads, the Netflix HDR10 update is not widespread. Maybe contact LG? I was not expecting much in the way of HDR on this set, its more like a bonus to me. On Amazon it seems I get HDR on the show that have the badge. I have to scroll down the catagories on the main Amazon page to get to "UHD TV Shows" and then select a show. Then I select the episode (not click "Watch Now") and then on the episode page it has the HDR badge.
Ah hah! Thanks, found the HDR banner - but only after following your instructions to the letter. Encouraged by this "find," I'll wait a bit longer for Netflix to flip the switch as I am sure they will do for a lot of models eventually - or not?

Thanks again.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #15 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Ah hah! Thanks, found the HDR banner - but only after following your instructions to the letter. Encouraged by this "find," I'll wait a bit longer for Netflix to flip the switch as I am sure they will do for a lot of models eventually - or not?

Thanks again.
I assume that in the least LG withh make the update avalable for the higher tier TVs. I am hoping the web 3.0 OS makes that update universal. Doesn't see to be any reason they would keep it from this TV. Also since they are pushing HDR, you would think they would make sure the apps are there. I guess the worst case scenario a set-top box will support HDR and get Netflix from there. I believe the side HDMI is HDR compatible. I think I finally got my settings dialed in. Took the APS settings and applied them to Standard and turned down the color saturation.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #16 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I assume that in the least LG withh make the update avalable for the higher tier TVs. I am hoping the web 3.0 OS makes that update universal. Doesn't see to be any reason they would keep it from this TV. Also since they are pushing HDR, you would think they would make sure the apps are there. I guess the worst case scenario a set-top box will support HDR and get Netflix from there. I believe the side HDMI is HDR compatible. I think I finally got my settings dialed in. Took the APS settings and applied them to Standard and turned down the color saturation.
It's all over the internet that "Marco Polo," but ONLY "Marco Polo, is available on Netflix right now in HDR but that doesn't mean it's true. The fact that Amazon is supplying HDR to this model will have to be proof enough that this 2016 unit is ready for - well, ready for 2016. :-)
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #17 of 224 Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
It's all over the internet that "Marco Polo," but ONLY "Marco Polo, is available on Netflix right now in HDR but that doesn't mean it's true. The fact that Amazon is supplying HDR to this model will have to be proof enough that this 2016 unit is ready for - well, ready for 2016. :-)
Yeah the Amazon HDR is very promising that the TV might be supported. I am seeing that one of the Samsung Tvs got a Netflix update but no HDR. So its not just LG.

I did take a look at some 4k on Youtube. There was one nature scene that I showed to my wife to prove why we needed 4K. It looks incredible.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #18 of 224 Old 04-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OTA and LG support

I saw the 43UH6100 at the store and it looked like a good value. I have never had any LG products and wonder about the quality and support.

I am interested in using this model for OTA (no cable). I do not see ATSC mentioned in the specs (like some samsung models) but it does say terrestrial. Should I expect to get the same OTA channels I get now, or is this going to require additional equip?

One thing I look for with consumer electronics is a community support forum. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, all host community forums. LG does not (strike one). This leaves me looking for general forums like this one, or trusting that their direct support will be OK. Are LG products/support any better than the competition?

These new models are running more code than ever, and I'd expect it would need SW/firmware updates during its lifetime. The problem is that most companies shift their support efforts to the newest models, so any lingering issues will likely never be fixed. Is LG good about support and timely release of updates?
tns1 is offline  
post #19 of 224 Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
I saw the 43UH6100 at the store and it looked like a good value. I have never had any LG products and wonder about the quality and support.

I am interested in using this model for OTA (no cable). I do not see ATSC mentioned in the specs (like some samsung models) but it does say terrestrial. Should I expect to get the same OTA channels I get now, or is this going to require additional equip?

One thing I look for with consumer electronics is a community support forum. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, all host community forums. LG does not (strike one). This leaves me looking for general forums like this one, or trusting that their direct support will be OK. Are LG products/support any better than the competition?

These new models are running more code than ever, and I'd expect it would need SW/firmware updates during its lifetime. The problem is that most companies shift their support efforts to the newest models, so any lingering issues will likely never be fixed. Is LG good about support and timely release of updates?

I am using an OTA antenna with mine. I just plug the coax up and its good to go. It does pull in the program information if it can. I am not sure about support. There are some LG threads here but I don't know if their customer support is that good. It is running web OS 3.0. I am not sure if next year they will ditch it and move on to Web OS 4.0 and leave this set behind (That really goes for any TV manufacturer). I am hoping they built in the ability to upgrade this TV or maybe stay with webOS 3.0 for another year or two. In my opinion with Roku and Fire TV and Chromecast there are so many non-TV options that you can always hook something up if the apps stop being updated. But that is just me.

One thing I have noticed is some memory issues, like if I am streaming something and then trying to mess with detailed settings. Must be some shared memory in those operations. Kind of annoying, didn't happen a lot, but has happened.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #20 of 224 Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
In my opinion with Roku and Fire TV and Chromecast there are so many non-TV options that you can always hook something up if the apps stop being updated..
For sure but if you are interested in Dolby and DTS from these peripherals, you will need to plug them directly into your receiver. I confirmed tonight that although the LG 43UH6100 will pass Dolby from its own internal apps and from "Live TV" through to your receiver via HDMI, like many of the older sets, it will not pass anything but 2 channel stereo from devices plugged into its HDMI inputs.

That's the bad news. The good news is that it knows what is plugged into your receiver and allows you to switch directly to that input. That is, it can switch to the receiver and also switch the receiver's input for you, all conveniently listed as available inputs when you press the "input key" on the remote. So it really amounts to the same thing.

I don't know if this feature is functional with all AVRs, but on my 2012 Samsung "theater in a box" Blu-ray/Surround System, it works like a champ!

So particularly considering the modest cost, I think this TV is reasonably future fit, if not future proof.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #21 of 224 Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
For sure but if you are interested in Dolby and DTS from these peripherals, you will need to plug them directly into your receiver. I confirmed tonight that although the LG 43UH6100 will pass Dolby from its own internal apps and from "Live TV" through to your receiver via HDMI, like many of the older sets, it will not pass anything but 2 channel stereo from devices plugged into its HDMI inputs.

That's the bad news. The good news is that it knows what is plugged into your receiver and allows you to switch directly to that input. That is, it can switch to the receiver and also switch the receiver's input for you, all conveniently listed as available inputs when you press the "input key" on the remote. So it really amounts to the same thing.

I don't know if this feature is functional with all AVRs, but on my 2012 Samsung "theater in a box" Blu-ray/Surround System, it works like a champ!

So particularly considering the modest cost, I think this TV is reasonably future fit, if not future proof.
Yeah that is pretty cool but also annoying. I had a sony soundbar with 3 HDMI. I had an Xbox One, Chromecast, and another HDMI device. What was cool was when I opened the input list it had an entry for the Chromecast. But the downside was it always wanted to switch to that soundbar input I guess because the Chromecast was always on. So when I turned on the Xbox and went to the TV HDMI input it would switch the soundbar to the chromecast input and I would have to switch it back to the Xbox input. I fixed it by having the Xbox go directly into the TV. Bur if the device has the right HDMI handshaking and all it works pretty well.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #22 of 224 Old 04-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
keyboard mouse possible?

This set supports web surfing by letting you type URLs using a virtual keyboard (slow). Could I plug in a USB keyboard/mouse and use that?
tns1 is offline  
post #23 of 224 Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
This set supports web surfing by letting you type URLs using a virtual keyboard (slow). Could I plug in a USB keyboard/mouse and use that?
I can't get to myu USB port to check it out but there is some documentation that says you can plug in a keyboard and mouse. But like I said I can't verify that is true.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #24 of 224 Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
This set supports web surfing by letting you type URLs using a virtual keyboard (slow). Could I plug in a USB keyboard/mouse and use that?
The kb and mouse that I tried did work. A compact wireless kb with a trackball or trackpad would be idea if you plan on doing much typing.
tns1 is offline  
post #25 of 224 Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm wondering what settings everyone is using? I have the UH6100/49 . I usually just use professional dark for TV shows, been waiting for some reviews to see what calibrations they think are best.
Dragonopt1 is offline  
post #26 of 224 Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I use Standard that is a mirror of APS with the color at around 57, down from 60. It is bright and the colors look good.

So something strange. I am on 3.0.0.6, I think I was on 3.0.0.5 yesterday. I lost the Local Dimming Setting. Just turned the TV and the setting is back. Weird.

Last edited by Character_Zero; 04-28-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #27 of 224 Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,464
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I use Standard that is a mirror of APS with the color at around 57, down from 60. It is bright and the colors look good.

So something strange. I am on 3.0.0.6, I think I was on 3.0.0.5 yesterday. I lost the Local Dimming Setting. Just turned the TV and the setting is back. Weird.
This model has a Local Dimming feature? I saw it at Best Buy today and under normal lighting the black looked deep and colors were vibrant. The only issue was that even running the standard Best Buy loop the 43" UH6100 didn't appear to be as sharp. Is this simply a drawback of the bad feed and LG's upscaler not handling SD content well?
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #28 of 224 Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
This model has a Local Dimming feature? I saw it at Best Buy today and under normal lighting the black looked deep and colors were vibrant. The only issue was that even running the standard Best Buy loop the 43" UH6100 didn't appear to be as sharp. Is this simply a drawback of the bad feed and LG's upscaler not handling SD content well?
It does according to the settings. But its strange. I am thinking it only shows up after the TV displays HDR. It seems to be a part of the HDR setting then hangs around afterwards. I have power cycled the TV and then selected my settings without displaying any HDR and its not there. Must be a bug.

I wasn't super impressed by the BB feed. It was an LG feed and was cycling through the features of the TV but I don't think it was actually showing that feature on the screen. But that said, watching some 4K youtube is pretty amazing. Also I have been watching Narcos in 4K and it looks really good. As has been said before here and even in the 8500 thread which is the higher tier TV the Amazon HDR is hit or miss. Red Oaks looks really good and I am not sure how strong the HDR is but whatever is going on the picture looks very natural. I looked at the M43 and was disappointed when it wasn't updated this year with HDR. Samsung has a 40" TV coming out now with HDR, but its thier low tier so I assume the implementation would be comparable to this set. Most of those sets are VA panels too to the view angle takes a hit. So for me, IPS and 4K and HDR and 43" and a good price comparatively it fits my needs perfectly.

Also my "out of memory" messages has gone away when changing settings during streaming.
Character_Zero is offline  
post #29 of 224 Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,464
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
It does according to the settings. But its strange. I am thinking it only shows up after the TV displays HDR. It seems to be a part of the HDR setting then hangs around afterwards. I have power cycled the TV and then selected my settings without displaying any HDR and its not there. Must be a bug.

I wasn't super impressed by the BB feed. It was an LG feed and was cycling through the features of the TV but I don't think it was actually showing that feature on the screen. But that said, watching some 4K youtube is pretty amazing. Also I have been watching Narcos in 4K and it looks really good. As has been said before here and even in the 8500 thread which is the higher tier TV the Amazon HDR is hit or miss. Red Oaks looks really good and I am not sure how strong the HDR is but whatever is going on the picture looks very natural. I looked at the M43 and was disappointed when it wasn't updated this year with HDR. Samsung has a 40" TV coming out now with HDR, but its thier low tier so I assume the implementation would be comparable to this set. Most of those sets are VA panels too to the view angle takes a hit. So for me, IPS and 4K and HDR and 43" and a good price comparatively it fits my needs perfectly.

Also my "out of memory" messages has gone away when changing settings during streaming.
That was my concern with M43 as well. I was bummed to not a see 2016 43" M or P-series update. I have two displays in our master bedroom. My wife has a 48" J6300,so my display is only 3-4' away from my sitting position. I would love a 50" M-P,but that is a lot of real estate for my view distance. I wound an M43 this morning at Walmart for $100 off retail,so I ended up grabbing it. Although I have 90 days to change my mind. I will strictly be using it for PS4/Xbox One gaming.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 04-30-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #30 of 224 Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Character_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
That was my concern with M43 as well. I was bummed to not a see 2016 43" M or P-series update. I have two displays in our master bedroom. My wife has a 48" J6300,so my display is only 3-4' away from my sitting position. I would love a 50" M-P,but that is a lot of rest estate for my view distance. I wound an M43 this morning at Walmart for $100 off retail,so I ended up grabbing it. Although I have 90 days to change my mind. I will strictly be using it for PS4/Xbox One gaming.
Yeah my local WM has the M43 for $375 but I already have the LG and it would be a pain to return. Now that I have the settings how I like, it looks really good. I was replacing a LG 1080p that I really liked also so I kept with LG. Also I set off angle a little and my wife is off angle more so IPS was really the best for my setup. My main TV is a Samsung Plasma and when I either have space for a bigger TV or it dies, I am going to go with that Vizio P series. Its looking to give other top tier TVs a run for their money at a really good price.
Character_Zero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
uh6100 , uh6500

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off