Recommend Tuner for 2016 Vizio M or P series - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how things will be wired & used.

If I get an ATSC tuner box (that is hooked up to a HDTV antenna) and connect it via hdmi to the tuner-less Vizio tv, would I be able to use the plain Vizio remote they include (not the tablet) to change the channels?

I only ask because a lot of the tuners come with their own remote, and I wasn't sure if that is because the tuner's remote is the only way to change channels, or if its included for other use cases where a remote might not be available.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkosan View Post
Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how things will be wired & used.

If I get an ATSC tuner box (that is hooked up to a HDTV antenna) and connect it via hdmi to the tuner-less Vizio tv, would I be able to use the plain Vizio remote they include (not the tablet) to change the channels?

I only ask because a lot of the tuners come with their own remote, and I wasn't sure if that is because the tuner's remote is the only way to change channels, or if its included for other use cases where a remote might not be available.

Thanks.

AFAIK, The Vizio remote will only control the Vizio TV.

You would need to get a universal remote to control the basic functions of the tv and program it to run the tuner box as well.

Depending on the box you buy, it may be able to control the basics of the tv from their included remote. You are really only using the power, input and volume buttons for the Vizio.

I picked up the homeworks 180 from amazon and have been satisfied. Installed it last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 45 Old 02-05-2017, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbengr View Post

I am also looking at the Vizio display for the next TV,
but realize I need something that can tune to the cable channels --
and preferably not shell out $10/month to do so.

Does anyone know of a tuner I can buy which will acquire
the "standard def" cable channels? How about the "hi-def" cable channels?

My brother got me a Channel Master Tuner off of eBay for my Vizio P50-C1.

It gets the 'Clear QAM' Cable channels and local HD channels. I think by law
Cable companies must carry the local HD channels in the 'clear', whether it's
advertised or not by the Cable company.

My other tuner with a recorder is an old Sony DVR. The one where
the TVGOS 'died' and no longer is supported on some systems.

I have to do manual recording setups and special reset procedures just to
keep time and day-of-the-week in sync, as the DVR relied on the clock
and date from the TVGOS data stream. What a design.

However, it is still going strong. I use it weekly. Built like a tank.
It just keeps going and going and going...

The CM and DVR output a nice pic from 720p and 1080i to the Vizio.

SD and PD (Pathetic Definition - the crappy sub-channels) don't upscale
as good as my previous Vizio P502xx. But, if sitting back far enough
along with some pic adjustments, it's not too horrible.

I hope Vizio puts in ATSC 3.0 tuners in the future.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That's a shame. So if the new owner wants an ATSC tuner for OTA or even cable, they have to shell out a few more bucks which whittles away at whatever the price point is. Interesting marketing decision. It can't cost them that much to include a tuner, especially for a Vizio. Oh well.
It isn't just the cost of the tuner. Without the tuner the sets pay the import duty rate for monitors. With a tuner, they become TV sets and pay a higher percentage of import duty. I didn't bother to look up the difference, but it is most likely quite significant. Most people are using a cable TV set top box of satellite reciever. Cord cutters can buy a decent off-air tuner for $35 on Amazon.
post #35 of 45 Old 02-05-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It isn't just the cost of the tuner. Without the tuner the sets pay the import duty rate for monitors. With a tuner, they become TV sets and pay a higher percentage of import duty. I didn't bother to look up the difference, but it is most likely quite significant. Most people are using a cable TV set top box of satellite reciever. Cord cutters can buy a decent off-air tuner for $35 on Amazon.
An ATSC 2.0 tuner certainly. However, there aren't any ATSC 3.0 tuner STB's available yet that I know of so all the folks who are either purchasing expensive tv's now, or just displays, are going to be disappointed once ATSC 3.0 becomes widely distributed. There's only one test station that I know in South Carolina (I think) that's experimenting with 3.0 and appears to be quite successful. It would appear that new hardware will be necessary for ATSC 3.0 so this could be like the digital transition all over again.
post #36 of 45 Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd also like to continue this discussion as I have some other questions and there's some good deals on these Vizio's now so they're back in the spotlight.

Also, most people just posted links to products without any first-hand experience so any updates there are appreciated.

One thing that wasn't discussed is how this impacts wall-mounting. Everything linked to seems to be boxes. What about a USB TV tuner to plug my coaxial into and not have it interfere with a flush wall mount? Are these lesser quality or just lack the DVR features?

With the DVR/Tuner combo, if I want to have it out of sight I'm assuming I would need a network connected one or a long HDMI cable (not really practical). I've read up on Tablo which retails for $180-200 and it looks nice, but are there any other good quality ones that would allow control via network connection instead of remote? Has anyone tried this setup with a box not in the same room as the TV?

Any advice is appreciated even if it's not first-hand experience.
post #37 of 45 Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes! there are 17 replies with only 1 option presented. What happened to competitors with similar technology. What about single tv set solutions. What about TV Tuner cards for the extra computer you may have laying around.
WARNING I am the "village idiot" when it comes to this subject but I will share what I have gathered so far...

This excerpt is taken from the perspective of OTA solutions and NOT cable box replacement solutions.
Also, at this time I will only be attempting to navigate you through the minefield of what you should be looking for and not necessarily offer options /solutions.

Though it's a great technology there is at least one other option with a price point at a third of the cost and doesn't strip away your on screen tv guide unless you pay them a subscription fee. SiliconDust HDHomeRun available on amazon and elsewhere for under $100.

For between $30 and $75, there are multiple non-networked solutions (single tv solutions). There seem to be a few tricks here which I am still working out.
1st and probably Most Critical... These tuners all seemed to be marketed as "ATSC TV BOX Convertor Tuner Receiver" (ATSC for North America and some other places) Though they all have the same description... some are ONLY converter boxes. They convert the digital signal to analog for older TV's. Other's work on their own as a tuner and ALSO work as a converter. Often the resellers don't know themselves. BEWARE!

From here on in I will be referring to only "ATSC TV BOX Convertor Tuner Receiver" which work on their own as Tuner Receivers. (can be used on a TV, Projector, Monitor which don't already have a tuner built in)

2nd From the video perspective. Some of these Tuner Receivers only offer you 1080i at best... There are ones which offer 1080p (I will have to update this to offer options I have found) Many offered have not been updated since 2008.
(BTW - As far as I know... there is no such thing as OTA 4k so forget about that for now)

3rd From the Audio perspective. (for those looking for a home theater experience when the signal is provided by the broadcast) Many of these Tuner Receivers only have 2 channel audio out. Some have optical/ coax out but only convert/ recognize Dolby 2.1 or PCM (apparently an abandon audio technology) There are some who support Dolby 5.1, Dolby +.

4th Some Tuner Receivers offer PVR and or DVR options from a hard drive / USB drive (not included). Which appears to be the better investment since the ones which have a built in DVR option are a heck of a lot more expensive than the price of a hard drive. (After all... we bought TV's without a tuner - now that's budget conscious ) Also be aware of those (one I found so far) Channel Master CM-7003 who provides a USB port yet seems to use proprietary tech to access it making their external DVR the only way to get DVR. (I'm sure someone brighter than I can hack it)

In a nutshell.... 3 things I have been looking for in my external tuner for OTA to be used on a 4K UHD tv which came without a tuner for OTA.
1. Will it work on a tunerless tv?
2. can I receive the maximum broadcasted video resolution through this tuner? 1080p I believe?
3. can I receive the maximum broadcasted audio experience? Dolby Digital + ?
4 PVR /DVR OPTION included.

So far I have not found or should I say, I am still waiting on responses from many dealers as to these different issues as none of them has made that clear. So far the only one (I have found) who's box represents touching on each of these is the RCA DTA800. Upon further research, it seems it has not been updated since 2008 and therefore requires more research to confirm it meets my above criteria.

Please correct anything I have not addressed properly. As I said at the beginning I'm the village idiot in this instance. I felt someone had to get the ball rolling after 17 responses to this topic and none of these issues were addressed.

Sincerely
post #38 of 45 Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
My brother got me a Channel Master Tuner off of eBay for my Vizio P50-C1.

It gets the 'Clear QAM' Cable channels and local HD channels. I think by law
Cable companies must carry the local HD channels in the 'clear', whether it's
advertised or not by the Cable company.

My other tuner with a recorder is an old Sony DVR. The one where
the TVGOS 'died' and no longer is supported on some systems.

I have to do manual recording setups and special reset procedures just to
keep time and day-of-the-week in sync, as the DVR relied on the clock
and date from the TVGOS data stream. What a design.

However, it is still going strong. I use it weekly. Built like a tank.
It just keeps going and going and going...

The CM and DVR output a nice pic from 720p and 1080i to the Vizio.

SD and PD (Pathetic Definition - the crappy sub-channels) don't upscale
as good as my previous Vizio P502xx. But, if sitting back far enough
along with some pic adjustments, it's not too horrible.

I hope Vizio puts in ATSC 3.0 tuners in the future.

Were you able to rune the Analog channels as well with this tuner box ? i have a digital converter box but that tunes only digital channels and im missing bunch of analog channels, please advise
post #39 of 45 Old 06-09-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssarava9 View Post

Were you able to run the Analog channels
as well with this tuner box ? I have a digital
converter box but that tunes only digital
channels and I'm missing bunch of analog
channels...

I think this box only works with digital signals. My local Cable Company just recently dumped the Analog channels. They went with a Clear QAM lineup for the basic package, so I don't require their set-top box, as I don't subscribe to the upper tier for ESPN/sports/movies/etc.

480 content looks decent when the box is switched to 480 Output. The other two Outputs are 720p and 1080i.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #40 of 45 Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I think this box only works with digital signals. My local Cable Company just recently dumped the Analog channels. They went with a Clear QAM lineup for the basic package, so I don't require their set-top box, as I don't subscribe to the upper tier for ESPN/sports/movies/etc.

480 content looks decent when the box is switched to 480 Output. The other two Outputs are 720p and 1080i.

so we need to switch the box to 480 output when choosing the channel that is not digital ? lot of channels im getting as "No Service" but the same channel is fine in my LG tv which has internal tv tuner, please advise.
post #41 of 45 Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Hi, appreciate if someone can guide me to the right place, looking for answer for quite some time
Have Vizio M60-D1, pretty satisfied with the picture quality, but no tv tuner, when trying out the TV converter box i find that im only getting Digital channels listed and only a handful, tried all manufacturers like channel master, Ivew and mediabox etc

But my LG 42" 5 years old tv is even picking some cable prime channels but they are not in HD , but very good SD quality. getting lot of channels (close to 50)
Please someone advise which TV tuner box to pick up so that i can get the same list of channels that im getting in my LG tv including digital and analog frequencies.

Thanks much for the help as there is not much find online.
post #42 of 45 Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use a TiVo Roamio with an antenna as my tuner.

Yamaha RX-A770 | Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50 | 2x Definitive Technology Mythos GEM Surround Back | 2x REL Q150E Subwoofers | PS4 Pro | Roku Ultra | Tivo Roamio OTA
post #43 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use a TiVo Roamio OTA.

Yamaha RX-A770 | Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50 | 2x Definitive Technology Mythos GEM Surround Back | 2x REL Q150E Subwoofers | PS4 Pro | Roku Ultra | Tivo Roamio OTA
post #44 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #45 of 45 Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOlidWire View Post
Yes! there are 17 replies with only 1 option presented. What happened to competitors with similar technology. What about single tv set solutions. What about TV Tuner cards for the extra computer you may have laying around.
WARNING I am the "village idiot" when it comes to this subject but I will share what I have gathered so far...

This excerpt is taken from the perspective of OTA solutions and NOT cable box replacement solutions.
Also, at this time I will only be attempting to navigate you through the minefield of what you should be looking for and not necessarily offer options /solutions.

Though it's a great technology there is at least one other option with a price point at a third of the cost and doesn't strip away your on screen tv guide unless you pay them a subscription fee. SiliconDust HDHomeRun available on amazon and elsewhere for under $100.

For between $30 and $75, there are multiple non-networked solutions (single tv solutions). There seem to be a few tricks here which I am still working out.
1st and probably Most Critical... These tuners all seemed to be marketed as "ATSC TV BOX Convertor Tuner Receiver" (ATSC for North America and some other places) Though they all have the same description... some are ONLY converter boxes. They convert the digital signal to analog for older TV's. Other's work on their own as a tuner and ALSO work as a converter. Often the resellers don't know themselves. BEWARE!

From here on in I will be referring to only "ATSC TV BOX Convertor Tuner Receiver" which work on their own as Tuner Receivers. (can be used on a TV, Projector, Monitor which don't already have a tuner built in)

2nd From the video perspective. Some of these Tuner Receivers only offer you 1080i at best... There are ones which offer 1080p (I will have to update this to offer options I have found) Many offered have not been updated since 2008.
(BTW - As far as I know... there is no such thing as OTA 4k so forget about that for now)

3rd From the Audio perspective. (for those looking for a home theater experience when the signal is provided by the broadcast) Many of these Tuner Receivers only have 2 channel audio out. Some have optical/ coax out but only convert/ recognize Dolby 2.1 or PCM (apparently an abandon audio technology) There are some who support Dolby 5.1, Dolby +.

4th Some Tuner Receivers offer PVR and or DVR options from a hard drive / USB drive (not included). Which appears to be the better investment since the ones which have a built in DVR option are a heck of a lot more expensive than the price of a hard drive. (After all... we bought TV's without a tuner - now that's budget conscious ) Also be aware of those (one I found so far) Channel Master CM-7003 who provides a USB port yet seems to use proprietary tech to access it making their external DVR the only way to get DVR. (I'm sure someone brighter than I can hack it)

In a nutshell.... 3 things I have been looking for in my external tuner for OTA to be used on a 4K UHD tv which came without a tuner for OTA.
1. Will it work on a tunerless tv?
2. can I receive the maximum broadcasted video resolution through this tuner? 1080p I believe?
3. can I receive the maximum broadcasted audio experience? Dolby Digital + ?
4 PVR /DVR OPTION included.

So far I have not found or should I say, I am still waiting on responses from many dealers as to these different issues as none of them has made that clear. So far the only one (I have found) who's box represents touching on each of these is the RCA DTA800. Upon further research, it seems it has not been updated since 2008 and therefore requires more research to confirm it meets my above criteria.

Please correct anything I have not addressed properly. As I said at the beginning I'm the village idiot in this instance. I felt someone had to get the ball rolling after 17 responses to this topic and none of these issues were addressed.

Sincerely
did you ever find anything that fit your criteria?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page