2016 Hisense H8C, H5C, H4C and H3C Entry Level series - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #1201 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My connection speed is only 3.8 mbps and it still shows 1920x1080*2

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor23.rh View Post
My connection speed is only 3.8 mbps and it still shows 1920x1080*2

3.8 mps...dude aree you on dial up?...you need around 30+ for a decent 4k...yes no wonder why it doesnt show...best bet is not go thru wifi but rathet a wired connection
post #1203 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSonic View Post
Pretty sure the apps support 4k, otherwise why would they have 4k-specific apps? Also the Youtube videos especially DEFINITELY look better than 1080p and like belthazor23.rh I too get the *2 thing showing... HDR, no. Hisense really should have added a dedicated "info" button on the remote to show exactly what your screen is displaying at that time. And I HATE how none of the Youtube apps (not on XB1 either) just straight up let you pick the resolutions available to you, it's only automatic and then you need to click on the "stats for nerds" thing which is sort of cryptic.

A question I had though, is what do people do when playing 4k content through the USB? Most files are so big that they're not supported by the FAT32 format which I read the USB drive needed to be formatted to (at least that's what it tells me when I try to move them over to the device).
NTFC works fine with big files but not all formats are playable with the h8c media player. hopefully a firmware update with HDR apps and more usb media player formats. tons of call to Hisense anyone, samsung can do it already and promised by the 2017 models....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smith 2 View Post
How do you get them to work? I've tried all of them and even the USB update and I still only get 1080p. This is driving me crazy.
Thats not possible, what HDMI slot are you using?
What device are you using?
post #1205 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to you both, I actually switched over and reformated to NTFC and tried some of the same files it wasn't letting me copy earlier and it work...and played perfectly on the TV. Bad thing is I don't have USB3 on my PC so takes forever to transfer these files haha.
post #1206 of 1894 Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Zamora View Post
3.8 mps...dude aree you on dial up?...you need around 30+ for a decent 4k...yes no wonder why it doesnt show...best bet is not go thru wifi but rathet a wired connection
unfortunately yes
post #1207 of 1894 Old 01-19-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question... I've read in some places people saying that to experience the best HDR possible you NEED the high-dynamic contrast (or whatever it's called on this tv) on. I've seen other people say to experience HDR at all it needs to be on. True, not true, partially true?
post #1208 of 1894 Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSonic View Post
Question... I've read in some places people saying that to experience the best HDR possible you NEED the high-dynamic contrast (or whatever it's called on this tv) on. I've seen other people say to experience HDR at all it needs to be on. True, not true, partially true?
I havent read anything about that. Its the first time I hear such thing. Can you share where you read that?
post #1209 of 1894 Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
HDR 4K looks worse than regular 4K on my 55H8C.
Here are example images I sent to Hisense support:
Standard HDMI Format / 4K-only: http://i.imgur.com/8YE6Njw.jpg
Enhanced HDMI Format / 4K+HDR: http://i.imgur.com/HEkpoEU.jpg

They eventually called me and the representative was kind and knowledgeable about the technology. He said their technicians will need to review all my info. I have not heard back yet.

Can anyone prove with pictures like this that HDR mode looks better on their Hisense 8C series TV (showing the HDR tag on screen)? For me, HDR looks much worse.
post #1210 of 1894 Old 01-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post

They eventually called me and the representative was kind and knowledgeable about the technology. He said their technicians will need to review all my info. I have not heard back yet.

Can anyone prove with pictures like this that HDR mode looks better on their Hisense 8C series TV (showing the HDR tag on screen)? For me, HDR looks much worse.
My screen actually has showed the exact same picture almost, when I played that video, dark, picture color. I think HDR only makes some things look good, as it's still fairly new, just like when I watched the 4k HDR version in X-Men: apocalypse on this tv, with the Samsung ubd -k8500, they looked over saturated, and looked better with HDR off.
post #1211 of 1894 Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The non-HDR image doesn't look better. It's just brighter. And isn't at all what the video is supposed to look like.

There is a tone-mapped version of this clip on Youtube which converts it from an HDR to an SDR clip.

Watch it and see for yourself which of your two images look more like it.
post #1212 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
All I am looking for now is post HDR update calibration setting from users here.
I keep my settings the same. I just start the hdr content (game, Blu-ray, or app) and hit the home button on the xbox controller. The main home screen will look dark and washed out I just adjust the contrast till the colors on the home screen begin to look normal again. The contrast will usually land around 70 for me
post #1213 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
The non-HDR image doesn't look better. It's just brighter. And isn't at all what the video is supposed to look like.

There is a tone-mapped version of this clip on Youtube which converts it from an HDR to an SDR clip.

Link

Watch it and see for yourself which of your two images look more like it.
I watched the version you linked, and it looks way oversaturated on my computer monitor (a standard SDR 1080p). Maybe I'm missing the purpose of that version (I mean, the original video already has an SDR version that is played whenever the display is not HDR, right?). As cartoonishly saturated as it is, it looks closer to the image when my TV is in SDR mode, simply because it has full color range.

I know it can be difficult to see in pics from a phone, but the SDR mode on my TV definitely looks better than HDR. Even in the pics, the HDR version looks almost black & white. The pics have a bit of adjustment from my phone camera that's trying to make them expose better (and some bad artifacts, macroblocking, overexposure, etc. that isn't present on the TV), but I still think they give a general idea of what I'm seeing. In SDR, the original video looks stunning - it's vibrant, but not oversaturated - there is a smooth range of contrast from black to white, opposed to HDR mode where everything dark is crushed to black and the colors barely exist.

Here is another thread with more info about what I'm seeing.
post #1214 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I watched the version you linked, and it looks way oversaturated on my computer monitor (a standard SDR 1080p). Maybe I'm missing the purpose of that version (I mean, the original video already has an SDR version that is played whenever the display is not HDR, right?). As cartoonishly saturated as it is, it looks closer to the image when my TV is in SDR mode, simply because it has full color range.

I know it can be difficult to see in pics from a phone, but the SDR mode on my TV definitely looks better than HDR. Even in the pics, the HDR version looks almost black & white. The pics have a bit of adjustment from my phone camera that's trying to make them expose better (and some bad artifacts, macroblocking, overexposure, etc. that isn't present on the TV), but I still think they give a general idea of what I'm seeing. In SDR, the original video looks stunning - it's vibrant, but not oversaturated - there is a smooth range of contrast from black to white, opposed to HDR mode where everything dark is crushed to black and the colors barely exist.

Here is another thread with more info about what I'm seeing.
The version you watched does *not* have an SDR version that plays back when you play it back on a non-HDR TV.

From the notes directly under the video:

Quote:
Published on Nov 19, 2016
Video created by LG to promote their OLED TVs.

To view this video in real HDR you need a 4K HDR TV and a device with YouTube HDR such as Chromecast Ultra.

If you are viewing this video on an SDR (normal non-HDR TV) the color and contrast may not look correct.
What looks better to you is the color and contrast being rendered incorrectly.

Also, this video was created by LG specifically to look worse on an LCD than it does on an OLED. If you know what the relative strengths of OLED and LCD are, you can understand why the scene is composed the way it is. The H8C, being an LCD, not supporting WCG and having a contrast ratio of 4152 : 1 compared to the "infinite" contrast of an OLED is naturally going to struggle with this one.
post #1215 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What looks better to you is the color and contrast being rendered incorrectly.
I am passionate about video and audio quality. I've have worked professionally with video for almost 10 years now. The SDR from the original video looks nearly perfect. The HDR version has almost no color. The SDR from the video you linked was oversaturated. The main issue is how much worse the HDR looks. Why would the color almost completely disappear?
post #1216 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I am passionate about video and audio quality. I've have worked professionally with video for almost 10 years now. The SDR from the original video looks nearly perfect. The HDR version has almost no color. The SDR from the video you linked was oversaturated. The main issue is how much worse the HDR looks. Why would the color almost completely disappear?
I don't doubt this, so I'm sure you understand the importance, when doing image comparisons, of comparing to a reference. Better is subjective, correct is not.
post #1217 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I picked up a 50h8c today at BB as they dropped the price $50. However, I see that they dropped the price of the 50h6c $150. Is the difference between the two worth it? This will be a tv that we use in a seasonal apartment, and mostly just weekends, not an everyday tv used as our principal viewing source. I haven't opened the box yet, and I'm having second thoughts.
post #1218 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 PM

I took the time to do some testing.

I downloaded the original versions of the LG Chess Demo and Samung's Quantum Dot Demo and saved them to a USB stick to use the TV's internal media player to render them in HDR.

I then played the Chess video in the following ways.

1. In HDR on the display's internal media player.
2. The Youtube version you linked via my HTPC to the Hisense in SDR.
3. The original video file via my HTPC using madVR's HDR handling to convert the video to SDR on the fly.
4. The original video file via my HTPC turning off madVR's HDR handling to intentionally send the video with incorrect colors/contrast.
5. The HDR->SDR converted clip on Youtube I linked to earlier.

What I found was that, despite the disclaimer on the HDR Youtube video, playing this back in SDR appears to not be sending HDR as SDR to the TV. When I compared it what it looked like when I intentionally sent HDR as SDR on my PC, the intentionally incorrect version was noticeably drained of color and contrast. The Youtube HDR video just looked muted. It actually looked similar to the PC image when madVR's HDR handling was on. This didn't come through in the picture you posted.

The tone-mapped Youtube video *does* look like it has oversaturated colors as you said, though the contrast looks about right.

HDR via the internal player does fall down on some of the scenes, but also looks noticeably better than the SDR versions in others to my eyes. This is consistent with a video intended to give LCD's trouble, though. Again, this video was created as a marketing tool to show why you should spend more for an OLED. I wouldn't call it representative.

I recommend giving this one a try. This one is intended to look good on an LCD.

post #1219 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I recommend giving this one a try. This one is intended to look good on an LCD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoCXzb_KI8
I'm getting the same behavior with that video.

SDR: http://i.imgur.com/lMljs8E.jpg
HDR: http://i.imgur.com/Tsu5HbQ.jpg

The "vivid lifelike" red looks like a dull brown in HDR. The whole video is dull in HDR.
post #1220 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLilo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
All I am looking for now is post HDR update calibration setting from users here.
I keep my settings the same. I just start the hdr content (game, Blu-ray, or app) and hit the home button on the xbox controller. The main home screen will look dark and washed out I just adjust the contrast till the colors on the home screen begin to look normal again. The contrast will usually land around 70 for me
Thanks man.
post #1221 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'm getting the same behavior with that video.

SDR: http://i.imgur.com/lMljs8E.jpg
HDR: http://i.imgur.com/Tsu5HbQ.jpg

The "vivid lifelike" red looks like a dull brown in HDR. The whole video is dull in HDR.
I don't have a Chromecast or any other means to view HDR Youtube videos, so I can't really directly compare my results. I have only ever seen HDR videos looking noticeably darker than SDR videos, but haven't experienced the dull colors you're describing. Do you have the ability to download the files from here, put them on a USB stick and play them on the internal media player to see if they look the same when played that way? Keep in mind that you'll have to re-enter your settings since the internal media player is treated as its own input.

Edit: Just to add that I have an XBox One S, so I can and do view Netflix and UHD BluRay in HDR.

Last edited by mrcorbo; 01-22-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #1222 of 1894 Old 01-22-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Do you have the ability to download the files from here, put them on a USB stick and play them on the internal media player to see if they look the same when played that way?
I downloaded a couple and those look good when I play them back. Unfortunately, with this 55H8C, it appears that there is no way to verify that the TV is actually in HDR mode (YouTube displays the 'HDR' tag). So, I can't confirm HDR, but the picture looks very good. I'm going to download a few more. Hopefully Hisense support will follow up soon with more info.

Thanks for the link to those files. That might be a big help in troubleshooting.
post #1223 of 1894 Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I downloaded a couple and those look good when I play them back. Unfortunately, with this 55H8C, it appears that there is no way to verify that the TV is actually in HDR mode (YouTube displays the 'HDR' tag). So, I can't confirm HDR, but the picture looks very good. I'm going to download a few more. Hopefully Hisense support will follow up soon with more info.

Thanks for the link to those files. That might be a big help in troubleshooting.
The funny thing is our European counterparts actually have a display mode called HDR, and it shows in the upper left hand corner that its playing in HDR. Would have been nice for us to get this too. Oh well.
post #1224 of 1894 Old 01-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:

The fact that those clips don't look horrible is confirmation it is in HDR mode.

Seriously, when I played back those clips from my PC and didn't account for the HDR to SDR conversion needed since the PC can't yet transfer HDR metadata from videos it completely broke the color saturation and contrast.
post #1225 of 1894 Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The fact that those clips don't look horrible is confirmation it is in HDR mode.
It looks so good, that must be the case. If you hadn't pointed me to those videos, I would be returning the TV. But now I know it is capable of looking great.

I just hope Hisense can get the Chromecast Ultra HDR stuff working through HDMI. I hadn't heard from them since Friday, so I contacted them earlier and they said they were still working on it and would get back to me within 48 hours...
post #1226 of 1894 Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm experiencing some irksome banding/backlight bleed on my H8C. I got the TV a week ago and it took me about a day to spot it, probably because it's rarely noticeable in movies or brightly lit games. But when playing GTA V, for instance, the effect can at times be very distracting.

Take a look at the attached image. What I'm referring to is the white bar on the far right side -- other uniformity issues such as some DSE do not bother me. How bad or unusual does this look to you? Has anyone experience something similar with this TV?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uJyhnAQ.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1916841  
post #1227 of 1894 Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM

My TV also has banding which is also visible during certain parts of a film or game mostly when the scene is moving quickly or whatever is being displayed has grey, I find it very distracting when I notice it and find it hard to put to the back of my mind.

post #1228 of 1894 Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor23.rh View Post
My TV also has banding which is also visible during certain parts of a film or game mostly when the scene is moving quickly or whatever is being displayed has grey, I find it very distracting when I notice it and find it hard to put to the back of my mind.

Mine usually appears just on the left side of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway View Post
I'm experiencing some irksome banding/backlight bleed on my H8C. I got the TV a week ago and it took me about a day to spot it, probably because it's rarely noticeable in movies or brightly lit games. But when playing GTA V, for instance, the effect can at times be very distracting.

Take a look at the attached image. What I'm referring to is the white bar on the far right side -- other uniformity issues such as some DSE do not bother me. How bad or unusual does this look to you? Has anyone experience something similar with this TV?

post #1229 of 1894 Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is your backlight set up to?

Try reducing it to see if it makes a difference.
With lcd there will always be some sort of banding with black screens.
post #1230 of 1894 Old 01-24-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the more you look the worse it gets...
im not even going to test grey uniformity, it will only make me cry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page