2016 Hisense H8C, H5C, H4C and H3C Entry Level series - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #121 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapormodel View Post
Yeah the H8 is really a good tv no s... I have had few tv's over the years wouldn't steer you wrong. But you NEED to calibrate it first. Hell its $499 at best buy I mean yes guys there are tv's out there that are a s... ton better but there not $499.00 or even some 1k sets are not as good. Now I don't know how long this thing will last even though there supposedly a 4 year warranty which is ridiculous if the warranty holds up in the future. Like I said before Cable tv or OTA will differ depending on the feed your giving it. IE News, HBO movie channels, Sports, of course all being in HD. I don't game that much anymore so can't speak to the 4:4:4 or using as a monitor for PC latency could be tad slow but probably not the greatest for FPS. I have a pretty bad a.. projector home theater set up for this in the bedroom. The Vizio's from last year especially the M' series 4k is a great screen. The New Vizio 2016 P,M models are allot better in black levels inky colors, contrast ratios especially the P series from what I've seen there are a few reviews on the Tube. But after using controllers for so long I can't get past the Android tablet or your phone app which i heard sux for all functions of the tv (monitor). But I guess for some that could be a big plus since technology is changing fast. I don't really get any glare day or night on this tv but I'm not using it upclose as a monitor. Sitting about 5-6 feet back.
I have been noticing on Cable some compression blocking issues on a few shows but hey until they catch up with 4k boxes this will continue to be an issue. On 4k video Blu Ray Youtube Even Netflix Nothing is noticed just Clean.

There will be a few auto updates on the Hisense Models this year from what I'm seeing.

Have you tried direct channel entry using OTA ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Yeah the H8 is really a good tv no s... I have had few tv's over the years wouldn't steer you wrong. But you NEED to calibrate it first. Hell its $499 at best buy I mean yes guys there are tv's out there that are a s... ton better but there not $499.00 or even some 1k sets are not as good. Now I don't know how long this thing will last even though there supposedly a 4 year warranty which is ridiculous if the warranty holds up in the future. Like I said before Cable tv or OTA will differ depending on the feed your giving it. IE News, HBO movie channels, Sports, of course all being in HD. I don't game that much anymore so can't speak to the 4:4:4 or using as a monitor for PC latency could be tad slow but probably not the greatest for FPS. I have a pretty bad a.. projector home theater set up for this in the bedroom. The Vizio's from last year especially the M' series 4k is a great screen. The New Vizio 2016 P,M models are allot better in black levels inky colors, contrast ratios especially the P series from what I've seen there are a few reviews on the Tube. But after using controllers for so long I can't get past the Android tablet or your phone app which i heard sux for all functions of the tv (monitor). But I guess for some that could be a big plus since technology is changing fast. I don't really get any glare day or night on this tv but I'm not using it upclose as a monitor. Sitting about 5-6 feet back.
I have been noticing on Cable some compression blocking issues on a few shows but hey until they catch up with 4k boxes this will continue to be an issue. On 4k video Blu Ray Youtube Even Netflix Nothing is noticed just Clean.

There will be a few auto updates on the Hisense Models this year from what I'm seeing.
That is why I asked about gaming on it because I do console game very often as well as stream. If the input lag was confirmed to be reasonable and not have issues, I would probably bite on the 55" once available in a heart beat. I very little watch actual tv so it's performance in that area wouldn't really hurt me since I would just use the twc app on my Xbox One anyways for HD channels.

Vizio P65-F1 - Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One X - Playstation 4 Pro
post #123 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at the 50H8 until I read some comments from a TV tech who was writing about working on the H7 models he wrote that they are junk pretty much a throw away when they fail. The boards especially were crudely put together. I'd be suspect of a four year warranty probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. Seems to me these sets are designed to be tossed when they fail in couple of years not repaired. At least the So. Koreans and Japanese pretend to be our friends and export fairly good products the Chicoms on the other hand hate our guts and export crap to the US market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 02:43 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider6 View Post
I was looking at the 50H8 until I read some comments from a TV tech who was writing about working on the H7 models he wrote that they are junk pretty much a throw away when they fail. The boards especially were crudely put together. I'd be suspect of a four year warranty probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. Seems to me these sets are designed to be tossed when they fail in couple of years not repaired. At least the So. Koreans and Japanese pretend to be our friends and export fairly good products the Chicoms on the other hand hate our guts and export crap to the US market.
*yawn*
post #125 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulsker View Post
That is why I asked about gaming on it because I do console game very often as well as stream. If the input lag was confirmed to be reasonable and not have issues, I would probably bite on the 55" once available in a heart beat. I very little watch actual tv so it's performance in that area wouldn't really hurt me since I would just use the twc app on my Xbox One anyways for HD channels.
I have also been interested in the H8C for my primary gaming set, but the video posted on page 4 I believe wasn't to promising for gamers.
vulsker likes this.
post #126 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Exclamation H7 is poor compared to the H8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider6 View Post

The H7 is a terrible picture compared to the H8. The H8 also has a four year in home warranty upon registration. Have no idea why Costco carries the H7 for only 50 dollars less than the H8. Someone made a mistake, especially since the H7 is at least 1.5 years old and Costco only recently carried the H7.
post #127 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Have you tried direct channel entry using OTA ?
No I haven't but heard feedback there was some issues from last year with that on the H7 but don't know I since I have Cable.
post #128 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
yeah I think its reasonable but don't think it would be my go to tv if I was a big gamer. Now color wise for gaming its great but I think the 4k or even some of the Full HD Vizios from last year would be a better choice and they might be same or cheaper don't know. Until there are more reviews on the Hisense H8 I can't confirm this besides that one youtube video I saw the guy playing couple games. He did mention it wasn't the best but very reasonable
post #129 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieeeraider View Post
*yawn*
kinda odd wingrider... Hisense previously purchased Sharp. I guess unless your 20 years old company with a 1 years parts and labor or have a name like Samsung your I guess a Sh.. Company. Well find out I guess since I'm gonna keep my Hisense and my Tesla

Last edited by vapormodel; 06-23-2016 at 09:44 PM.
post #130 of 1894 Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
No I haven't but heard feedback there was some issues from last year with that on the H7 but don't know I since I have Cable.

Direct channel push buttons fail to go to the intended channel the vast majority of the time on the Hisense 7 and 8, and at least two Sharp 4k sets sampled. Never have seen that failure on other sets.
post #131 of 1894 Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Question Hisense 8 box ID LaA ?

Here's some irrelevant minutia:

Set 1

S/N: 50G1713B8H11204
LaA1604087

Set 2

S/N: 50G1612B8H00103
LaA1603016

1. Anyone know the significance of the second line marked "LaA......... "

2. The higher s/n seems to have a smaller "LaA".
post #132 of 1894 Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah I think its reasonable but don't think it would be my go to tv if I was a big gamer. Now color wise for gaming its great but I think the 4k or even some of the Full HD Vizios from last year would be a better choice and they might be same or cheaper don't know. Until there are more reviews on the Hisense H8 I can't confirm this besides that one youtube video I saw the guy playing couple games. He did mention it wasn't the best but very reasonable

Here are two H8 five star reviews on Amazon, but not verified purchases: https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-50H8C...rds=hisense+4k
post #133 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM

Liked: 0
Just picked this set up from my local Best Buy. Reasoning was that I had to drop my 55" set back in 2014 when I moved across country and was dying to get something to replace a reasonably good but tiny Samsung 40" (UN40H6203). Picture looks really nice on the H8C I would say easily on par with the smaller Samsung maybe even a bit better. I don't have a 4K Blu Ray player and probably won't be getting any sort of BD/STB for 4K until the XBOX One S comes out which will do both of those later this year so really can only test my PC and the built in apps. Netflix and Youtube look fine but not amazing to me. Sort of the difference between 720p and 1080p I suppose where it looks better but might be hard to tell to an untrained eye side by side. I hooked my PC up to the TV and played some DOOM (2016) in 4K and it looked phenomenal. Only issue was that I could not get 60Hz to work so anything above 30FPS just tore the screen. Might be a driver issue with my GTX 970 or might be because my HDMI cables are older and not specifically spec'd for 2.0. Overall, besides DOOM I am hard pressed to say if this set is much better than a 1080p would be at the same price/size but why even go for a cheap 50" 1080p set when you can get this one with 4K resolution for the same price. I really just wanted something bigger and according to RTings review of 1080p sets it seemed like this was a good get.

Other quick thoughts: I have worked in Best Buy and Fry's Electronics for about 3 years till recently and have set up a lot of TVs so I am fairly familiar with the UIs and was really impressed by the interface on this Hisense. Everything is clean and has a nice design feeling more like LG's WebOS than a budget set. I couldn't get ARC to work for my Soundbar but that might be because I have had issues with the HDMI ports on the soundbar before. Remote feels nice but nothing spectacular.
post #134 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Take this with a grain of salt but I was in my local BB today and saw the 50" on display. The looped footage that they were playing looked pretty damn good and I mean even compared to some of the near by Samsung displays.
pink toaster likes this.

Vizio P65-F1 - Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One X - Playstation 4 Pro
post #135 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Here are two H8 five star reviews on Amazon, but not verified purchases: https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-50H8C...rds=hisense+4k
I don't need to see reviews on amazon I have had the H8 50" since the first day it came out before best buy even had it in stores. As you can see from 2 weeks ago my first review on this forum and calibration settings I have done to it. I was just was referring to getting this tv for gaming purposes I think other tv's are better for gaming such as the Vizio 2015 models or 2016 since they seem to be better with gaming lag
pink toaster likes this.
post #136 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Tapp View Post
Just picked this set up from my local Best Buy. Reasoning was that I had to drop my 55" set back in 2014 when I moved across country and was dying to get something to replace a reasonably good but tiny Samsung 40" (UN40H6203). Picture looks really nice on the H8C I would say easily on par with the smaller Samsung maybe even a bit better. I don't have a 4K Blu Ray player and probably won't be getting any sort of BD/STB for 4K until the XBOX One S comes out which will do both of those later this year so really can only test my PC and the built in apps. Netflix and Youtube look fine but not amazing to me. Sort of the difference between 720p and 1080p I suppose where it looks better but might be hard to tell to an untrained eye side by side. I hooked my PC up to the TV and played some DOOM (2016) in 4K and it looked phenomenal. Only issue was that I could not get 60Hz to work so anything above 30FPS just tore the screen. Might be a driver issue with my GTX 970 or might be because my HDMI cables are older and not specifically spec'd for 2.0. Overall, besides DOOM I am hard pressed to say if this set is much better than a 1080p would be at the same price/size but why even go for a cheap 50" 1080p set when you can get this one with 4K resolution for the same price. I really just wanted something bigger and according to RTings review of 1080p sets it seemed like this was a good get.

Other quick thoughts: I have worked in Best Buy and Fry's Electronics for about 3 years till recently and have set up a lot of TVs so I am fairly familiar with the UIs and was really impressed by the interface on this Hisense. Everything is clean and has a nice design feeling more like LG's WebOS than a budget set. I couldn't get ARC to work for my Soundbar but that might be because I have had issues with the HDMI ports on the soundbar before. Remote feels nice but nothing spectacular.
Yeah the H8 is great overall. If you look back in this forum page 1-3 you'll see more about gaming issues. I don't think your gonna get 4.4.4. 60fps on this for gaming but overall really good quality. 4k is really great but your really not going to tell a difference between 1080p full hd and 4k until you go higher than 50 some will say 50 and above but it depends on distance from the screen and lighting conditions as well. I myself have always had 1080p full hd in the last few years and from what I can tell after its calibrated using my settings on the early pages it definitely looks allot better than 1080 on netflix marco polo and youtube 4k videos but you have to calibrate it. From the box its Shi..... Call customer service about the arc and sound bar. Just make sure your using the bottom back 2 hdmi's for 60 and side 2 hdmi for 30.
post #137 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt but I was in my local BB today and saw the 50" on display. The looped footage that they were playing looked pretty damn good and I mean even compared to some of the near by Samsung displays.
yeah and thats not even calibrated those best buy settings are always maxed out and usually hisense is in the worst area of best buy for lighting. Unlike Sony Samsung LG pretty much have there own demo areas. But yes for the price its awesome and well worth it. Shouldn't be much more talk about this tv in the forum its $499.00 and better than some $1200 I've had so unless were penny pinchen its a steal once again CALIBRATED.
pink toaster likes this.
post #138 of 1894 Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Tapp View Post
Only issue was that I could not get 60Hz to work so anything above 30FPS just tore the screen. Might be a driver issue with my GTX 970 or might be because my HDMI cables are older and not specifically spec'd for 2.0.
Possibly a stupid question:

Which HDMI ports were you using? 1 and 2 are HDMI 1.4 (30 Hz at 3840 X 2160), while 3 and 4 are HDMI 2 (60 Hz).
post #139 of 1894 Old 06-26-2016, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't need to see reviews on amazon I have had the H8 50" since the first day it came out before best buy even had it in stores. As you can see from 2 weeks ago my first review on this forum and calibration settings I have done to it. I was just was referring to getting this tv for gaming purposes I think other tv's are better for gaming such as the Vizio 2015 models or 2016 since they seem to be better with gaming lag

I'm so sorry. Forgive me. The review links were for everyone else.
post #140 of 1894 Old 06-26-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
People should understand what this TV is. Don't be confused.

This a budget 4K that has good blacks, with an effective (but limited) dimming system and excellent color when properly calibrated.

It has significant motion blurring. It is not a high resolution gaming platform, it is not 4K 60 444 capable. It might be fine with current game consoles, I don't know.Someone else who has this TV and a console can speak to that.

If you have need for a budget 50" TV to watch TV this is an excellent choice. I did not try it for sports viewing but the motion blurring could be annoying. The TV is $499 folks, be realistic. It is not a JS/KS Samsung or a 940C/D Sony. In a small room for non-critical viewing you would be hard pressed to do better.
pink toaster likes this.
post #141 of 1894 Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@vapormodel can you post a screenshot of your settings. I cant understand what you wrote on youtube.

White Balances

and if you have any settings for gaming (ps4)
post #142 of 1894 Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 PM

I just received a firmware update for the TV. Current version is V00.01.00a.G0519
post #143 of 1894 Old 06-27-2016, 05:56 PM

The notes only popped up for a minute but had generic updates such as improving picture quality and app performance.
post #144 of 1894 Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Question Hisense H8 compared to TCL ROKU sets ?

Ellen Degeneres often gives away TCL Roku 4k sets. How do they compare and contrast to the Hisense 8 ?
post #145 of 1894 Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

What did these settings improve ?

Quote:
Write yours down first so you can always go back but this helps allot

First Calibration Anything left off is zero Might be a little Red in faces for you but you can always turn down Flesh tone or play with your White Balance Red Gains and Offset + or - 1 or 2

Picture: Theater
Bright: 45
Con: 45
Col: 48
I leave backlight at 60 day 50 night but up to you I like it bright Local Dim On
Overscan Off
Tint: 0
Sharp: 3-4
Ultra Smooth - Noise - Adaptive Con = OFF
Color Temp Standard
White Balance as follows
R- offset 3
R Gain -3
B Gain 1
Color Tuner
Red 0
Green Sat -1 Bright 9
Blue
Hue -4 Sat -2
Yellow
Hue 1 Sat -2 Bright 1
Cyan
Hue -1 Sat -1 Bright 1
Magenta
Hue -1 Sat -2
Flesh Tone
Sat -3

Start with this first I do have another one a little different for Standard Picture

Thank you, Vapor. I just set up the 50" H8C. Picture looks okay out of the box. After applying the settings above, what improvement did you notice? Was there less motion blur and/or sharper images ?
post #146 of 1894 Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Question Did you know that for $30 your Hisense can have a 8 or 9 year warranty ?

Let's see if someone here knows how this is possible.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 06-28-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #147 of 1894 Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saotome9 View Post
@vapormodel can you post a screenshot of your settings. I cant understand what you wrote on youtube.

White Balances

and if you have any settings for gaming (ps4)
what do you mean

If you have this tv you will know that step by step the instructions are clear as day.
Go back to page 1 or 2 of this forum and look at my updated settings very easy to follow from the first picture setting to white balances OFFSETS you have Red Green Blue Gains You have Red Green Blue Then Go into your 10 point and you will have more fine tuning for those Colors look at all the - and + they are listed

Now Under the Color Tuner I haven't changed any colors at all except for the far right Option Called Flesh Tones and just put the Saturation to -4 nothing else

Best Settings So Far

Picture Mode Theater
Brightness 50
Contrast 40
Color 42
Local Dim On
Backlight 40 This was at night Up to You
Tint 0
Sharpness 4
Ultra Smooth Off Noise Off Adaptaptive Con Off
Color Temp Standard
White Balance Offsets R-3 G0 B4 Gain R-2 G0 B5 10 Point Level 10% R0 G2 B6 20% R0 G1 B1 30% R0 G1 B0
40% R0 G0 B2 90% R2 G1 B3 100% R4 G4 B6

Color Tuner
Hue Sat Bright All Zero on all Colors Except for Flesh Tones Saturation -4
post #148 of 1894 Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Let's see if someone here knows how this is possible.
Sounds kinda of dumb to me. In 9 years this tv will be like a 1950's black and white tv. Might as well save your $30. Besides 4 years for $499. is a steal compared to the big boys 1 year parts and labor. And whoever is saying the H7's boards are bad and can't be fixed once broke as long as my 4 warranty is applicable I'm not to worried. I do know they send techs out to help if its an escaladed issue or troubleshoot over the phone and if they can't fix it they will offer the same or a new model without charging you during your warranty period
pink toaster likes this.
post #149 of 1894 Old 07-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Sounds kinda of dumb to me. In 9 years this tv will be like a 1950's black and white tv. Might as well save your $30. Besides 4 years for $499. is a steal compared to the big boys 1 year parts and labor. And whoever is saying the H7's boards are bad and can't be fixed once broke as long as my 4 warranty is applicable I'm not to worried. I do know they send techs out to help if its an escaladed issue or troubleshoot over the phone and if they can't fix it they will offer the same or a new model without charging you during your warranty period

Hi Vapor:

I applied your settings to my H8C and the colors and brightness are fine, but the lack of sharpness and the presence of motion blurring is annoying. The picture is maybe 50% as good as the Sammy HU8550.
post #150 of 1894 Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

The factory default picture is unwatchable and ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The out of box calibration is kind of ugly, turn the sharpness way down.

Kind of ugly? The picture out of the box and when one resets the calibrations to factory default are is VERY UGLY.

Hisense should not produce a set in which the defaults are so far off. Most consumers don't read this forum, nor will they calibrate their sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page