Official Samsung KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 456Likes

post #721 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I did considerably more testing this morning. The only source that has the issue is DishNetwork. I tried connecting and viewing content from different hoppers and joeys with the same results. Most of my testing was done with OTA recordings but some with Dish channel recordings. Only channels which are 1080i sources had the issue. This was regardless of the output resolution setting of the dish box. Even using my receiver to convert 1080i to 1080p the channels still had the same issues.

On distance shots where the players are small and there is relatively little movement compared to the overall screen area is where I see the biggest issue. But talking heads of side line reporters show this robotic or dropped frame issue too. In particular there was a graphic on half the screen, report on the other with players running in the background. When the players weren't there the face was robotic and dropped frames. Once players started moving in the background something kicked in and suddenly things were fine. It would come and go based on this background movement.

Using Digital Clean View on Auto did seem to lessen the problem ever so slightly. Auto Motion Plus on Auto rather than Custom helped slightly on some content too (football). Turning AMP off there are no issues but the blur is not tolerable for me.

Not quite sure where to go from here. I want to say it is a source issue but different channels from different boxes and only on 1080i sourced channels seems odd. At the same time, if my receiver converts to 1080p I don't see how the TV would ever know the source resolution was 1080i and still have the issue.

For "interlaced" sources, make sure you turn ON "Film Mode".

From my >> Picture Settings Guide <<

Film Mode

This setting optimizes the picture quality for 24fps film based content. However, it is only applicable for interlaced input signals (480i, 1080i) and will be "grayed-out" for a non-interlaced (progressive) input signal.

24fps film based content needs to be converted into 30fps video for TV broadcast using 3:2 pulldown technology. The TV needs to be able to detect this 3:2 pulldown sequence (or cadence) in the incoming interlaced signal in order to correctly process it, using a process called 'inverse telecine' or 'reverse pulldown' to remove the 3:2 pulldown, and de-interlace it.

"Film Mode" engages a process called 'Cadence Detection' which detects the 'cadence' used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast. This allows the video processor in the TV to correctly process the incoming signal so that the content can be properly displayed without interlaced artifacts or loss in picture resolution. This process effectively smooths out frame transitions, minimizing 'telecine judder'.

"Film Mode" has to be turned "ON" for 3:2 pulldown 'detection' and 'correction' to work properly. It needs to be set to "Auto 1" when viewing 1080i content ("Auto 2" when viewing 480i content).

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 04:46 PM
KJW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I did considerably more testing this morning. The only source that has the issue is DishNetwork. I tried connecting and viewing content from different hoppers and joeys with the same results. Most of my testing was done with OTA recordings but some with Dish channel recordings. Only channels which are 1080i sources had the issue. This was regardless of the output resolution setting of the dish box. Even using my receiver to convert 1080i to 1080p the channels still had the same issues.

On distance shots where the players are small and there is relatively little movement compared to the overall screen area is where I see the biggest issue. But talking heads of side line reporters show this robotic or dropped frame issue too. In particular there was a graphic on half the screen, report on the other with players running in the background. When the players weren't there the face was robotic and dropped frames. Once players started moving in the background something kicked in and suddenly things were fine. It would come and go based on this background movement.

Using Digital Clean View on Auto did seem to lessen the problem ever so slightly. Auto Motion Plus on Auto rather than Custom helped slightly on some content too (football). Turning AMP off there are no issues but the blur is not tolerable for me.

Not quite sure where to go from here. I want to say it is a source issue but different channels from different boxes and only on 1080i sourced channels seems odd. At the same time, if my receiver converts to 1080p I don't see how the TV would ever know the source resolution was 1080i and still have the issue.
Personally, I think the picture looks best with AutoMotion off, which is what most sites recommend. You can try customizing the settings. Play with judder and blur. I've seen recommendations for each at 0, 3 or 4, etc., but you have to see what works for you. See http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s9000/settings

I think the issue is closely related to the quality of the broadcast. I have the four presets -- dynamic, standard, natural and film -- set with varying color saturation and automotion plus settings so I'm ready for most situations. Game and Sport modes are also interesting options because they turn down (or off) most of the video processing.
post #723 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
For "interlaced" sources, make sure you turn ON "Film Mode".

From my >> Picture Settings Guide <<

Film Mode

This setting optimizes the picture quality for 24fps film based content. However, it is only applicable for interlaced input signals (480i, 1080i) and will be "grayed-out" for a non-interlaced (progressive) input signal.

24fps film based content needs to be converted into 30fps video for TV broadcast using 3:2 pulldown technology. The TV needs to be able to detect this 3:2 pulldown sequence (or cadence) in the incoming interlaced signal in order to correctly process it, using a process called 'inverse telecine' or 'reverse pulldown' to remove the 3:2 pulldown, and de-interlace it.

"Film Mode" engages a process called 'Cadence Detection' which detects the 'cadence' used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast. This allows the video processor in the TV to correctly process the incoming signal so that the content can be properly displayed without interlaced artifacts or loss in picture resolution. This process effectively smooths out frame transitions, minimizing 'telecine judder'.

"Film Mode" has to be turned "ON" for 3:2 pulldown 'detection' and 'correction' to work properly. It needs to be set to "Auto 1" when viewing 1080i content ("Auto 2" when viewing 480i content).

Richard
Yes, aware of that. Since I was watching sports having it off would be best but the reality is it made no difference. And with my receiver deinterlacing the setting also is not available. So doesn't appear to be related to film mode setting at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Well I get my 55 Inch KS9000 and Samsung 4K player delivered this Sunday by Best Buy I really wasted the 65 but it would just not fit in my corner of our room. I will let everyone know what I think about the unit but my local Best Buy needs to have Samsung come in the store and reconfigure the units due to they do Not have the adjusted very well that's for sure..
post #725 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW View Post
Personally, I think the picture looks best with AutoMotion off, which is what most sites recommend. You can try customizing the settings. Play with judder and blur. I've seen recommendations for each at 0, 3 or 4, etc., but you have to see what works for you. See http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s9000/settings

I think the issue is closely related to the quality of the broadcast. I have the four presets -- dynamic, standard, natural and film -- set with varying color saturation and automotion plus settings so I'm ready for most situations. Game and Sport modes are also interesting options because they turn down (or off) most of the video processing.
The problem for me is I cannot tolerate the poor motion resolution of LCD without blur reduction. And turning it on to any setting has thus micro stutter issue.

Don't even more testing and research it seems like it is related to the amount of motion on screen and AMP doesn't kick in right away.
post #726 of 1846 Old 11-25-2016, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post
Didn't find any other "official" thread so I'll start this one.

Purchased my Samsung KS9000 65" 4K UHD tv 3 weeks ago and love it. Their remote takes some getting used to but works OK. The picture is outstanding and since I also have the Samsung UHD BluRay player I've ordered a new 4K movie "the Revenant" which should be here today.

How many of you also have this set?
Just bought mine at Best Buy on Black Friday for $1997.98, $560 of the regular price and delivery is for 12/4/2016...
post #727 of 1846 Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Will I regret not getting the KS9000 with supreme dimming and my KS8000 that only has UHD dimming has anyone here had both and seen the difference between the two.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #728 of 1846 Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Will I regret not getting the KS9000 with supreme dimming and my KS8000 that only has UHD dimming has anyone here had both and seen the difference between the two.
I would say no. The implementation of dimming is poor on these sets and therefore I keep it off anyway. Others may have a different opinion.
post #729 of 1846 Old 11-26-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
I would say no. The implementation of dimming is poor on these sets and therefore I keep it off anyway. Others may have a different opinion.
When supreme is put into their marketing lingo I always pause and wonder what makes it better then UHD dimming. I can see the advantages with the KS9800 with full array local dimming, but I was just curious what advantage the 9000 has over the 8000
Fernas likes this.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #730 of 1846 Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anyone that has installed 1152 on their 9000 have a download link? Thank you!!!

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #731 of 1846 Old 11-27-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
KS9000 and X940D currently in my area are the same price.

KS9000 75 inch or X940D?
post #732 of 1846 Old 11-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW View Post
I had this happen a couple of times last night while finishing up Wolfenstein: the old blood. Not sure what is causing it -- I have a new KS9000 and a new PS4 Pro so I can't isolate either as the problem. However, I never had this issue with my old KS9000 (which I had to exchange) and regular PS4, so I'm guessing its either the PS4 Pro or how the Samsung handles 4k in game mode.

Has anyone tried the PS4 Pro using something other than game mode? I added a fan last night to my TV stand to make sure its not a heat issue. I'll see if that helps.
It's your HDMI cable.

Get a UHD certified HDMI cable. Certified HDMI cables ensure you get the full 18gbps bandwidth.

I have a Ps4 Pro/PC/4k UHD player. Had the same issues, swapping the cable fixed it.

Try turning of UHD mode on your KS9000 and see if that fixes it and drop the color setting to 422 in Ps4 Pro settings.
King Richard likes this.
post #733 of 1846 Old 11-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanle13 View Post
Hey all,
Is anyone getting dropouts in game mode? I don't know if it's the last couple of firmwares, but recently noticed that the screen would drop out and go black for a second and come back on. Happened a couple of times now on both the PS4 & pro. Would it be the hdmi cable or tv?

Thanks!
Its your HDMI cable, you need one that supports 18gbps bandwidth. Some HDMI cables claim that but actually can't. Try looking for the ones that are certified, monoprice has them.

Trying turning UHD off in your settings, and dropping to 422 in your Ps4 Pro settings and see if the black screen stops.
post #734 of 1846 Old 11-27-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Siddons View Post
Just bought mine at Best Buy on Black Friday for $1997.98, $560 of the regular price and delivery is for 12/4/2016...
Purchased an open box certified customer return before the last price drop so did a price match a week later and got the final price down to $1,797.99 with a new receipt and a week later purchase date.
post #735 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question on my un65ks9000 what's the best settings for my Comcast hdmi cable for my new tv for live nfl or basketball games I use alot of the settings for hdr+ alot and use auto focus off and dynamic range settings off for the best results of brightness for real close to real life like picture is that what I'm doing is good or is it wrong in the long run of my tv to have issues later just got it on black Friday at video only store for the best price of 1600 all cash. I hope that was a great deal for a 9 series and tried my best on putting the best deal on the planet for the 9 series 65in tv always wanted a 9 series I love it. But I hate doing this setting up tv picture setting feel me.
post #736 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 03:16 AM
etp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mine is arriving this week so I wanted to tag this thread.

Anyone have unboxing suggestions on what to do and what not to do?

Looks like sliding the unit out face down in the Styrofoam seem safe to me.

Also any Samsung sound bar recommendations or just be happy with what I have? I have read where the BT is marginal so I would do a hard wire anyway.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-28-2016 at 03:25 AM.
post #737 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
For about the same price, what is worth more to you...better picture quality or bigger screen size? I'm torn between the 75KS9000 or the OLED65E6P
post #738 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 AM
etp

Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvrajgill10 View Post
For about the same price, what is worth more to you...better picture quality or bigger screen size? I'm torn between the 75KS9000 or the OLED65E6P
If you need a huge screen then the 65" won't do it. The 75 is a room filler.

ETP
post #739 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvrajgill10 View Post
If you need a huge screen then the 65" won't do it. The 75 is a room filler.
Currently, I have a Samsung UN65H7150 in the room. My next TV will replace that one.
post #740 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post
Damn - really wish I had seen the last days of posts before I pulled the trigger and bought this TV, and paid for an installer. Unfortunately I also have horizontal banding across nearly the entire width of the screen. See attached, running through the beer can and most visible near the right edge of the screen. It's a shame because the picture is otherwise beautiful, but this will distract me forever. My wife even noticed (the horror!).

I'm going to sit with it for a few days and see if the break in has any positive effect. If not, looks like I'm out a couple hundred bucks, and will likely move on to the Sony 940D.

Samsung's gotta get their QA in order. Exploding phones, flaming washing machines, and faulty top-of-the-line TVs...
I need to know more about these flaming washing machines...just purchased a samsung cooker, induction hob, washing machine & dishwasher! The less things that set on fire the better!

Toon
post #741 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a ks8000 in the bedroom and have been happy with it. I want to upgrade the living room TV and was thinking ks9000. Am I going to notice an improvement in PQ compared to the bedroom TV?
post #742 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to jonsewow
Quote:
Got my replacement KS9000 (due to audio dropouts, post 53) and 2nd tv has same problem. Obviously something Samsung needs to address. Anyone know how to reach the right people at Samsung?
Hello Impala1ss: I am having the same problem on my new 65KS9000. When watching any video from any SMARTHUB app (Netflix, Amazon, youtube etc.) the audio drops out every 1-4 minutes for 0.5 to 4 seconds. There is no video interruption. Only the audio drops.

Did you achieve a resolution to the problem?

Thanks!
post #743 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
KS9000 (UK) with a PS4 Pro, for some reason the image on screen goes black every minute or so for a second or two then comes back.

Was fine till now.

Checked HDMI, swapped to a different one, tried different ports etc.

Weird.

Toon
post #744 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My tv has mysteriously lost connection to the internet despite being connected to the wifi. Every other device in my house can connect to the internet. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #745 of 1846 Old 11-28-2016, 11:12 PM
KJW

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTonic View Post
KS9000 (UK) with a PS4 Pro, for some reason the image on screen goes black every minute or so for a second or two then comes back.

Was fine till now.

Weird.

Toon
Try changing the PS4 output resolution to 2160p YUV422 instead of 2160p RGB (or Auto) in the Sound and Screen settings menu.
King Richard likes this.
post #746 of 1846 Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsewow View Post
Hello Impala1ss: I am having the same problem on my new 65KS9000. When watching any video from any SMARTHUB app (Netflix, Amazon, youtube etc.) the audio drops out every 1-4 minutes for 0.5 to 4 seconds. There is no video interruption. Only the audio drops.

Thanks!
No resolution but I did get rid of the problem by using an optical cable from directv box to AVR instead of from TV to AVR. No problems since this change.
post #747 of 1846 Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuch88 View Post
My tv has mysteriously lost connection to the internet despite being connected to the wifi. Every other device in my house can connect to the internet. Any ideas?

Are you connecting to internet wirelessly or wired?
post #748 of 1846 Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Are you connecting to internet wirelessly or wired?

Wireless. It has been working since I bought it on 11/10. Just stopped working last night for no known reason.

post #749 of 1846 Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTonic View Post

Was fine till now.

Weird.

Toon

I have PS4 Pro hooked up to my KS9000 (US) with no issue on either RGB or YUV. I did not use the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 as I heard those were having issues. Used the latest Amazon Basics. Is your TV set to Game mode? And is UHD Color on for that input?

-Kevin
post #750 of 1846 Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsewow View Post

Thanks!
How are you listening to the audio from these apps? The tv speakers, or the optical out?

Quote:
No resolution but I did get rid of the problem by using an optical cable from directv box to AVR instead of from TV to AVR. No problems since this change.
Curious how this is working for you if you don't have any audio coming from the TV? If you are using the built in apps, you need to either use the TVs speakers or the optical out.

-Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page