Official Samsung KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 456Likes

post #91 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 344
The first HDR enabled games will be Gears Of War 4 and Forza Horizons 3. They are slated for release in a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello,i just joined the forum a few day,s ago.
I to have a 65KS9000,purchased it a few weeks ago when the EK started with a nice benefit of the original price.
Play games with the PS4 and watch Tv with a VUsolo 4K,there are a few channels that offer UHD.
My new receiver X6200 will arrive on monday so i have a lot off things to do,to get every thing the way i want it.
post #93 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helping my dad with his brand new KS9000. I'm 99.9% the problem is with the direcTV DVR settings, but before I go down that rabbit (hell) hole of tech support, I just wanted to check if there were any settings which would prevent a perfectly clear 1080p signal from being displayed?

Everything is HDMI connected. Recorded content on the DTV DVR is perfectly clear. Live tv (all channels) are grainy. DTV settings for tv resolution - tick marks by 1080i and 1080p. Front of DVR has LED indicating 1080i - again, all channels. If I unselect 1080i and only leave 1080p checked, everything defaults to 480p.

For what its worth, all the smartTV apps (youtube, Netflix, etc...) all appear crystal clear.

Last edited by ycartracy; 07-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad85 View Post
Hello,i just joined the forum a few day,s ago.

Welcome to the AVS Forums!

Richard
The_Donster and Grad85 like this.
post #95 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycartracy View Post
Helping my dad with his brand new KS9000. I'm 99.9% the problem is with the direcTV DVR settings, but before I go down that rabbit (hell) hole of tech support, I just wanted to check if there were any settings which would prevent a perfectly clear 1080p signal from being displayed?

Everything is HDMI connected. Recorded content on the DTV DVR is perfectly clear. Live tv (all channels) are grainy. DTV settings for tv resolution - tick marks by 1080i and 1080p. Front of DVR has LED indicating 1080i - again, all channels. If I unselect 1080i and only leave 1080p checked, everything defaults to 480p.

For what its worth, all the smartTV apps (youtube, Netflix, etc...) all appear crystal clear.

Most of your programming is broadcast at 1080i (some is broadcast at 720p; very little is broadcast at 1080p).

I suggest that you select 1080i as your output resolution and let the TV do all the deinterlacing (it probably does a better job at it than your DVR).

However, make sure you turn ON "Film Mode" (you can set it to "Auto 1").

The "Film Mode" setting engages a process called 'Cadence Detection and Correction' which is used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast, and is a part of deinterlacing. Your TV needs to detect this cadence and then correctly process it so that the content is shown without any artifacts or loss in picture resolution.

Film Mode has to be turned on for 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down correction to work properly on interlaced content.

Good luck!

Richard
post #96 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
There's a lot of energy in this thread devoted to this topic. Why is everyone concerned with this when Movie Mode is the most accurate image mode without calibration? By demanding that HDR be applied to the other modes assumes you demand to watch a less accurate picture. The other modes aren't more bright, they are just more blue. Trickery.

Well you're not exactly wrong...

However, cooler/bluer colors appear brighter than warmer/redder ones - which is why your eyes/brain always perceive cooler Color Tones/Temperatures as being brighter than warmer ones.

Generally speaking, the "Cool" settings - although less "accurate" - are more suited for viewing in a brightly-lit room whereas the "Warm" settings (which are closer to D65) are more suited for viewing in a dimly-lit room.

Richard
Billy Williams likes this.
post #97 of 1846 Old 07-09-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
So will HDR engage at all on JS and/or KS sets in any other mode? It will engage in all picture modes on my UN65HU9000/SEK 3500, and I don't doubt that Movie mode is the recommended setting (it often is), but HDR sources will max out backlight and contrast on this 2014 set regardless of picture mode setting.

That is *not* true for my 2016 KS8000. Unless I am in Movie mode, HDR sources are seemingly not decoded at all. I am wondering if this is true for all 2016 Samsungs, or even for all UHD Alliance certified "UHD Premium" sets.

Engineers recommendations aside, will HDR even engage in any other mode?
I know on my js9000, it jumps in automatically to HDR on standard mode.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
post #98 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I don't know of any channels on YouTube that are Dolby Digital 5.1. Both Netflix and Amazon Prime support Dolby Digital 5.1, but not all titles have multichannel audio. The type of audio for each title is displayed in the title description; it will always say "5.1" for both services if a particular title is available in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus. The TV does an excellent job of passing through Dolby Digital via Toslink (optical) cable to an AVR or soundbar. It is important to note that note all scenes in every title use all of the channels, so it is possible that during playback of some titles you may or may not hear audio coming from the surround speakers.
Thanks for your reply. You are right - the Amazon app does display a blue 5.1 symbol in the information. Watched The Martian yesterday which had good surround effects.

But the YouTube app apparently cannot output 5.1. There are a number of 5.1 Dolby Digital test videos available on YouTube and I would assume that they have been uploaded to YouTube in 5.1 audio format. But the app does not seem to support 5.1. This is a minor issue but it is confusing if you are looking to test your surrounds and the test videos don't play correctly.
post #99 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkur99 View Post
Thanks for your reply. You are right - the Amazon app does display a blue 5.1 symbol in the information. Watched The Martian yesterday which had good surround effects.

But the YouTube app apparently cannot output 5.1. There are a number of 5.1 Dolby Digital test videos available on YouTube and I would assume that they have been uploaded to YouTube in 5.1 audio format. But the app does not seem to support 5.1. This is a minor issue but it is confusing if you are looking to test your surrounds and the test videos don't play correctly.
I use 4K Video Downloader to acquire demo clips from YouTube. I copy the files to a HDD, and play them back using the TV's DLNA feature. I think this may work for you to acquire multichannel audio test clips as well.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #100 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 AM

When watching HDR content on Amazon Prime and setting HDR+ mode to yes, is it also necessary to set optimum contrast (hope I translated this correctly - it is called Optimalkontraston my TV) to low, medium or high? When set to off there seems to be little or no difference between HDR+ engaged or not.
I also have the impression that the TV recognizes HDR content regardless of picture mode as it changes backlight to maximum.
post #101 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkur99 View Post
When watching HDR content on Amazon Prime and setting HDR+ mode to yes, is it also necessary to set optimum contrast (hope I translated this correctly - it is called Optimalkontraston my TV) to low, medium or high? When set to off there seems to be little or no difference between HDR+ engaged or not.
I also have the impression that the TV recognizes HDR content regardless of picture mode as it changes backlight to maximum.
It is not necessary to engage HDR+ when watching HDR content from UHD Blu-Ray discs, Netflix, Amazon, etc. HDR+ is designed specifically for non-HDR sources, such as high quality television broadcasts and 1080p resolution video from Blu-Ray discs or internet sources. I believe the American version of Optimum Contrast would be Dynamic Contrast; I never use that feature, but you should be able to obtain more information on its potential benefits by checking out reviews of the European models on rtings.com and on AVForums.com.
Terminader likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #102 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12751 Post(s)
Liked: 12069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
It is not necessary to engage HDR+ when watching HDR content from UHD Blu-Ray discs, Netflix, Amazon, etc. HDR+ is designed specifically for non-HDR sources, such as high quality television broadcasts and 1080p resolution video from Blu-Ray discs or internet sources. I believe the American version of Optimum Contrast would be Dynamic Contrast; I never use that feature, but you should be able to obtain more information on its potential benefits by checking out reviews of the European models on rtings.com and on AVForums.com.

Actually, samsung does recommend using hdr+ on hdr content, samsung even has a picture graph claiming that hdr&hdr+ is superior to regular hdr by making the picture and colors brighter and better shadow detail.

When using dynamic contrast, it works differently with hdr+ depending if the original source is sdr or hdr. With sdr, the effect is opposite of how it works with native hdr.

Dynamic contrast with HDR:

OFF = DARK PICTURE
HIGH = SUPER BRIGHT PICTURE

Dynamic contrast with HDR&HDR+:

Same as above

Dynamic contrast with hdr+&sdr:

OFF = SUPER BRIGHT PICTURE
HIGH = DARK PICTURE

I usually move DC to low with hdr+&sdr, it gives more color to the picture.
post #103 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you an idea to reduce cluding with HDR contents and backlight at maximum?
post #104 of 1846 Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12751 Post(s)
Liked: 12069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverio Casadidio View Post
Have you an idea to reduce cluding with HDR contents and backlight at maximum?
After hdr has started, turn backlight down and it should stick as long as you don't restart the movie. Also, turn brightness down to 40-42. This will help but not completely fix. Edge lit sets will struggle of the uniformity isn't perfect.
post #105 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Well I can certainly understand why manufacturers might waffle on limiting HDR to one picture mode when they offer multiple modes for ostensibly different purposes and viewing room lighting conditions. That would seem to be an economy move and not what consumers expect - rightly or wrongly. This requires an explanation that has not been offered at all.

Probably the most common HDR question around here, at least in the Samsung threads, is, "How can I tell if my set is playing HDR?" There is absolutely no mention of HDR in the Samsung manuals and most folks, sales people and Samsung reps. included, assume HDR just plays automatically any time an HDR source is present. They then expect some sort of way to verify that, like the old red stereo lights on receivers of the 70s.

But apparently the technology is in more flux than I realized and that is why there is no manufacturer documentation supplied to consumers of these sets on how to engage HDR? Is it a sort of industry paralysis or fear of commitment??

2019 looks to be a more promising year for the home audio/video industry - hopefully! I'm staying tuned.
Hi,

My KS9000 goes into HDR in movie mode & the other modes like standard mode after updating to the latest firmware (1114). The previous firmware activated HDR only in movie mode though.

Even with UHD BD, I could activate HDR+ mode in movie mode when HDR is on.

Now this firmware shows if the current scene is in HDR or HDMI UHD color or not when entering info button.
Ralarcon and Larry Rosenberg like this.
post #106 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unfortunately with the high backlight clouding is not acceptable in a dark room. I think it's useless to have TV so bright then when you are forced to turn down the backlight.
I tried 2 KS9000. Both had the same clouding. 4 halos in the top and bottom, 2 per side.
post #107 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzy25 View Post
I know on my js9000, it jumps in automatically to HDR on standard mode.
Also on my 2014 65HU9000/SEK 3500.

But I suspect this is not the case this year on any 2016 Samsung TV, although some of the posters here say their KS9000s will engage HDR from modes other than Movie mode.

My 2016 KS8000, definitely will NOT engage HDR unless it is in Movie mode, and from what is posted on the KS8000/8500 thread, they are all that way - the KS8000/8500s, that is. Perhaps all 2016 Samsungs?

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #108 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post
Hi,

My KS9000 goes into HDR in movie mode & the other modes like standard mode after updating to the latest firmware (1114). The previous firmware activated HDR only in movie mode though.

Even with UHD BD, I could activate HDR+ mode in movie mode when HDR is on.

Now this firmware shows if the current scene is in HDR or HDMI UHD color or not when entering info button.
What is the "information button." I can find no way to see source info outside of changing the input.
post #109 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
What do you have "Auto Motion Plus" set to?

Make sure you set your Comcast receiver to output at 1080i and that you have "Film Mode" set to "Auto 1" in the TV settings.

You can read up on these settings in my JS Series Picture Settings General Guide

(I'm assuming the settings are basically the same on the KS Series TVs.)

Richard
Had my KS9000 for nearly a week now, similar to Toddavs comment i can see some jitter in the picture now and then. Only input i've tried is from a Sky+HD box. Though not tried any other inputs yet (kids are happy enough with the games consoles). Netflix playback has been fine. Been fiddling with settings to see what i can do about the problem. Not sure if dropping the Sky box output from 1080i to 720p helped, or changing the TV setting to movie mode helped the most. Seem to be hardly noticing it now. Though i think i am missing the sharpness as Movie Mode turns it down to 0.

Also haven't got the colour quite right yet. Bit too vivid maybe. The Mrs says the grass in stadiums looks radioactive!

Setting Film Mode to anything other than 2 actually seemed to make it worse. Though i had fiddled with many other settings at that point. A reset to defaults was needed!

Having talked myself into spending more than planned on the TV i want to be really pleased with it, but haven't got there yet.

TV is running firmware 1111.

On a different matter, why does there seem to be conflicting advice about ks9000 and ks9500 regarding which is curved and which is flat? Do they flip flop in different countries? My KS9000 is definitely curved!
post #110 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadzy View Post
Had my KS9000 for nearly a week now, similar to Toddavs comment i can see some jitter in the picture now and then. Only input i've tried is from a Sky+HD box. Though not tried any other inputs yet (kids are happy enough with the games consoles). Netflix playback has been fine. Been fiddling with settings to see what i can do about the problem. Not sure if dropping the Sky box output from 1080i to 720p helped, or changing the TV setting to movie mode helped the most. Seem to be hardly noticing it now. Though i think i am missing the sharpness as Movie Mode turns it down to 0.

Also haven't got the colour quite right yet. Bit too vivid maybe. The Mrs says the grass in stadiums looks radioactive!

Setting Film Mode to anything other than 2 actually seemed to make it worse. Though i had fiddled with many other settings at that point. A reset to defaults was needed!

Having talked myself into spending more than planned on the TV i want to be really pleased with it, but haven't got there yet.

TV is running firmware 1111.

On a different matter, why does there seem to be conflicting advice about ks9000 and ks9500 regarding which is curved and which is flat? Do they flip flop in different countries? My KS9000 is definitely curved!
It does vary by location. In Europe the KS9000 is curved, while in the US it is flat.
post #111 of 1846 Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
What is the "information button." I can find no way to see source info outside of changing the input.
Upper left side of the remote has the "123" mark. Press that and you will see numbers 1-9, but also, to the left of that, an i in a circle. That's the Info button.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #112 of 1846 Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
It does vary by location. In Europe the KS9000 is curved, while in the US it is flat.
I think the KS9000 US model (flat) is called KS8000 in Europe (KS8090 in Germany).
post #113 of 1846 Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since the xbox on S will enable HDR gaming, is there a possibility to active HDR in Game Mode?
Since I never a Samsung TV before, can I setup different Picture setting for different Inputs.
E.g. Hdmi1 Movie - Hdmi2 Games ...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by private Angus; 07-15-2016 at 03:33 PM.
post #114 of 1846 Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SAMSUNG-APPROVED COMPONENT VIDEO TO HDMI ADAPTER:

https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Con.../dp/B00TQ6ZCF2

post #115 of 1846 Old 07-17-2016, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi!

I have a Swedish KS8005 (should be KS9000 in the US) but my fimware is 1111, is that country specific in any way?

So if I'm reading this right, HDR mode is only "available" in Movie mode but with the latest FW 1114 fixes that, meaning HDR is activated in any Picture mode you might have?

Thanks!
post #116 of 1846 Old 07-17-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhill76 View Post
Hi!

I have a Swedish KS8005 (should be KS9000 in the US) but my fimware is 1111, is that country specific in any way?

So if I'm reading this right, HDR mode is only "available" in Movie mode but with the latest FW 1114 fixes that, meaning HDR is activated in any Picture mode you might have?

Thanks!
Also if gaming mode is active?
post #117 of 1846 Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hi to all,

I would like to know if the KS9000 can switch it's Hz to display videos in the same framerate that they were encoded into or if the video is displayed in 60/120Hz all the time with a conversion?

For example, a projector can typically switch to 23.976p/24p/50p/60p and display PAL or NTSC videos with the correct framerate and thus motion as intended.

I always wonder on flat panels if that exists like on projectors or if the tvs are stuck at 60/120 for an NTSC tv for example and I'm particularly interested for the KS9000.

Thank you in advance for the response.
post #118 of 1846 Old 07-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all.

I am just buying new ks9000 serie, and have some probblem here (if its probblem).

There on pic. is showing backlight bleed I have..

Have a try everything I found on net (calibrated, smart led off, reset) and nothing happen.

What do you think if I need to contract service about it ?

(in dark scene is very frustrate)

Thanks a lot people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160717_001.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1551785   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160716_006.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1551793   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160716_005.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1551801  
post #119 of 1846 Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimo1 View Post
Hello all.

I am just buying new ks9000 serie, and have some probblem here (if its probblem).

There on pic. is showing backlight bleed I have..

Have a try everything I found on net (calibrated, smart led off, reset) and nothing happen.

What do you think if I need to contract service about it ?

(in dark scene is very frustrate)

Thanks a lot people.

Why are your settings and source for content? You definitely need smart led on though.
post #120 of 1846 Old 07-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question ARC Audio Issues

Hey everybody - I'm having a quirky "issue" involving audio/ARC and my receiver setup (Denon AVR-S710W).

The TV smart hub apps will only play sound through the receiver when the TV's source is set to "TV."

Is anybody else experiencing this?

To give a little more explanation...

Cable box -> Receiver -> TV

ARC enabled on both receiver & TV. All connections via HDMI.

The cable box is plugged into "CBL/SAT" HDMI port on receiver, TV plugged into receiver via monitor out & HDMI 4 on one connect box.

TV is set to HDMI 4, I get video and sound plays through receiver. But, when I go to smart hub, no sound comes through for either smart hub or any app. Everything works fine except for sound.

The confusing part is that I figured out that if I go to 'Sources' and select "TV" (so the TV stops displaying the cable box picture and now displays static from the internal tuner (as if I had a coax plugged directly into the TV - which I don't) the sound for smart hub and the apps works perfectly!

Is that supposed to be a feature? I don't understand why I need to change the source in order to get the sound to work. It's a minor inconvenience but pretty annoying to need to change the source just to get the TV sounds to work. I figure that if I'm watching tv via the cable box I should be able to have the TV menu sounds play along with the cable box sound and then if I go into an app, the app sound will then override the cable box sound.

My guess is that this is an issue with the receiver not knowing which source of audio to use and simply defaults to the "primary" source, in this case the cable box, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly is happening here.

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page