Official Samsung KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 456Likes

post #1531 of 1846 Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffard View Post
Hi guys. I've recently purchased the Sony 75" X940E which is unbelievable BUT... is exceptionally expensive. I'm looking at switching this for either the Sony 65" Z9D (75" is way out of my price range) or the 78" KS9000 (this is the curved version here in the UK, 9500 in the US?).

I know that TECHNICALLY the Z9D is going to be the better TV (3D, FALD, ridiculous amount of dimming zones, future Dolby Vision, etc etc), but I can't help but think that for the same price, I'd prefer the size of the Samsung.

The problem I have is that every forum comes to the same conclusion, the Z9D is always going to come out on top being one of the LCD TV's of 2016 (maybe even 2017). But, for the extra screen estate at the same price, maybe the 78KS9000 is the bargain that I should go for. Particuarly as I'm not overly techy!

Any thoughts? Apologies as I know this is an owner's thread, but you're exactly the people I'm hoping to get advice from!
You'll get more responses if you post your question in the KS9800 owner's thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-s-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1846 Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsdsig View Post
You'll get more responses if you post your question in the KS9800 owner's thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-s-thread.html
Whilst I appreciate the referral and I may very well do just that, my biggest problem is the fact that the KS9800 is backlit compared to the edge-lit KS9000. The price in the UK for that particular model is close to the 75" Z9D, in which case it would pretty much be a no-brainer.

My issue really is I guess how good the edge-lit 78" would fare against the FALD 65".

Thanks again though!
post #1533 of 1846 Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Whilst I appreciate the referral and I may very well do just that, my biggest problem is the fact that the KS9800 is backlit compared to the edge-lit KS9000. The price in the UK for that particular model is close to the 75" Z9D, in which case it would pretty much be a no-brainer.

My issue really is I guess how good the edge-lit 78" would fare against the FALD 65".

Thanks again though!
My $.02: size matters.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1846 Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks again though!
I'd agree with anthonymoody, the 13" size difference is pretty huge. I have no doubt the FALD has the superior picture but I'm not sure that would make up for it IMO.
FYI, I have the 78" KS9500 you're considering. Very good TV but 2 gripes to note:
1) Flashlighting from the corners in dark scenes. This is defintiely noticeable but really only annoying on title screens/credits (white text on black background) Turning down backlight helps.
2) Not great with reflections. Any light source in front of the screen becomes an orange-y horizontal band. Helps if you have a light-controlled room.

Despite these points I'm very happy with the TV. No way would I be happy with a 65" even with slightly superior PQ. If you have the room I'd consider it.

Samsung 78KS9500
Axiom M60 (x2) , Axiom VP150 , Axiom QS8 (x2) , SVS PB1000 (x2)
Yamaha RX-V581
PS4
HTPC (i3-2105 , GTX 1050)
post #1535 of 1846 Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_o View Post
I'd agree with anthonymoody, the 13" size difference is pretty huge. I have no doubt the FALD has the superior picture but I'm not sure that would make up for it IMO.
FYI, I have the 78" KS9500 you're considering. Very good TV but 2 gripes to note:
1) Flashlighting from the corners in dark scenes. This is defintiely noticeable but really only annoying on title screens/credits (white text on black background) Turning down backlight helps.
2) Not great with reflections. Any light source in front of the screen becomes an orange-y horizontal band. Helps if you have a light-controlled room.

Despite these points I'm very happy with the TV. No way would I be happy with a 65" even with slightly superior PQ. If you have the room I'd consider it.
Appreciate the advice, thank you. Thankfully I haven't got any light sources directly opposite which is a plus.

Have you had any issues with interface being buggy in any way? This has been one of my huge frustrations with the Android OS, it is extremely sluggish and don't expect this to be any difference with the ZD9.
post #1536 of 1846 Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Appreciate the advice, thank you. Thankfully I haven't got any light sources directly opposite which is a plus.

Have you had any issues with interface being buggy in any way? This has been one of my huge frustrations with the Android OS, it is extremely sluggish and don't expect this to be any difference with the ZD9.
I havent noticed any issues, but admittedly I'm not the biggest user of the built in apps.

Samsung 78KS9500
Axiom M60 (x2) , Axiom VP150 , Axiom QS8 (x2) , SVS PB1000 (x2)
Yamaha RX-V581
PS4
HTPC (i3-2105 , GTX 1050)
post #1537 of 1846 Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I've totally messed up the service menu of my ks8000. Could anyone with the same kind of tv (Or ks9000) please share your settings of this TV. Thank you very much and I look forward to receiving your help.

MOST NEEDED: SVC > Expert = OFF/ON/FIX?, Picture Direct = OFF/ON? Option > Type Of Panel Key = ? , Control > Subwoofer Support = ? (5?), Control > RS-232 Jack = ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4799_1493021252265.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	2099745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4800_1493021260631.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	2099753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4801_1493021270798.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2099761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802_1493021286768.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2099769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4803_1493021295499.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	2099777  

Name:	IMG_4804_1493021304961.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2099785  
post #1538 of 1846 Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

Thanks again though!
This is an owner's thread, not a "Help Me Decide" thread. If you have questions about the set, ask them here. If you want help choosing a set, that belongs in a different thread.

The OS is not sluggish, but there are times where apps will simply not respond and you're stuck doing soft resets to get them to work again.
post #1539 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 02:29 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded!

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

I added a lot of extra material to most of the sections - including additional info and lots more images and illustrations. I also added 2 brand new sections to it and made a few changes and improvements to some of the previous material.

I also took this opportunity to correct a few small mistakes that were bothering me and do a bit of reformatting. (Hey, I happen to be a perfectionist, with perhaps a little bit of OCD thrown-in for good measure. In fact, you will notice that a lot of my posts on the Forum often have a "Last edited by" footnote at the bottom of them - many of those "edits" are often only to correct a small spelling mistake or something stupid like that. )

Additionally, I decided to take the advice of my friend @mrtickleuk and change the print size of my "Notes" (except for the very first one), which were too small and hard for some to read (they looked fine in the browser I was using, but viewing them in a different browser I noticed they were indeed quite small). I instead used a different "Font" to make them stand out.

I am planning to start working on "Part 2" of my article hopefully this coming weekend (which will be the 2nd Post of my Color Volume Thread that I currently have marked as "Reserved!"). I plan to have it finished sometime next week if all goes well.

So stay tuned!

P.S. I apologize for the long post. Sorry!

[Click the LINK below to go to the article.]

>What is Color Volume?<

Thank you for reading!

Richard
Terminader and ToonTonic like this.
post #1540 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Greetings!

Would you kindly help me choose one of this options in the NVIDIA control panel for best image quality when watching 720p and 1080p movies with VLC media player:

1) YCbCr444

2) YCbCr422

Thanks guys
post #1541 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
ARC and Roku

Does anyone know if you can pass Dolby Digital via ARC from a device plugged into the one-connect. I have a Roku plugged in the one-connect but it only seems to pass stereo via ARC back to my receiver. I plugged the Roku stick directly into the receiver and it passes DD+ with no problems. I can also play the Amazon app on the TV and it passes DD to the receiver via ARC with no problems. But if I use the Amazon app on the Roku when plugged into one-connect it only passes stereo.

Thanks
post #1542 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhensel View Post
Hi,

I've totally messed up the service menu of my ks8000. Could anyone with the same kind of tv (Or ks9000) please share your settings of this TV. Thank you very much and I look forward to receiving your help.

MOST NEEDED: SVC > Expert = OFF/ON/FIX?, Picture Direct = OFF/ON? Option > Type Of Panel Key = ? , Control > Subwoofer Support = ? (5?), Control > RS-232 Jack = ?
Can you tell me how you got into the service menu in the first place? Thank you
post #1543 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Liked: 2
overall, are you guys all happy with your ks9000? Best buy is swapping out my sony 940D for a horrible ghosting/trailing issue. I hate to give up the FALD, but i cant live with the ghosting and it looks like even the new e series tvs are having a lot of QC issues, just look at best buys reviews for them
Terminader likes this.
post #1544 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcsam View Post
Quote:
Hi,

MOST NEEDED: SVC &gt; Expert = OFF/ON/FIX?, Picture Direct = OFF/ON? Option &gt; Type Of Panel Key = ? , Control &gt; Subwoofer Support = ? (5?), Control &gt; RS-232 Jack = ?
The TV has to be turned off (Circa 1 minute), then quickly press INFO > MENU > MUTE > POWER/STANDBY, now the service menu should open up. It only works with that "big" remote!! (smart remote isn't able to get into it) There is also an 'Android-App' (Apple's Appstore doesn't provide such ...) which lets you open it and special remotes for changing location settings. > Sorry for my terrible english - but I think that you can get it <
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4863_1493255672817.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	2104793  
post #1545 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

MOST NEEDED: SVC &gt; Expert = OFF/ON/FIX?, Picture Direct = OFF/ON? Option &gt; Type Of Panel Key = ? , Control &gt; Subwoofer Support = ? (5?), Control &gt; RS-232 Jack = ?
The TV has to be turned off (Circa 1 minute), then quickly press INFO &gt; MENU &gt; MUTE &gt; POWER/STANDBY, now the service menu should open up. It only works with that "big" remote!! (smart remote isn't able to get into it) There is also an 'Android-App' (Apple's Appstore doesn't provide such ...) which lets you open it and special remotes for changing location settings. &gt; Sorry for my terrible english - but I think that you can get it &lt;
It would be awesome if you can reach into service menu and provide the (needed) setting values.
post #1546 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

The TV has to be turned off (Circa 1 minute), then quickly press INFO &gt; MENU &gt; MUTE &gt; POWER/STANDBY, now the service menu should open up. It only works with that "big" remote!! (smart remote isn't able to get into it) There is also an 'Android-App' (Apple's Appstore doesn't provide such ...) which lets you open it and special remotes for changing location settings. &gt; Sorry for my terrible english - but I think that you can get it &lt;
It would be awesome if you can reach into service menu and provide the (needed) setting values.
I'm from Berlin, Germany and can find anything about that issue in a german forum.
post #1547 of 1846 Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm from Berlin, Germany and can't find anything about that issue in a german forum.
post #1548 of 1846 Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded!

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

Richard

Richard - I have the polarization and color banding you display in a number of posts you have made. You state that a 10 bit picture can eliminate them. Can you explain how on a Samsung KS9000 to set it to 10 bit? Also, if this can not be done is there a way,using the TV'd settings to reduce of eliminate banding/polorization?

Last edited by Impala1ss; 04-27-2017 at 08:03 AM.
post #1549 of 1846 Old 04-27-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm from Berlin, Germany and can't find anything about that issue in a german forum.
There are many codes available for accessing service menu in various Samsung TV models. You can try following codes one by one until you get access to service menu:

First power off your TV using the remote, then press following buttons quickly on the remote:

Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power
Display/Info + Menu + Mute + Power
Display/Info + P.STD + Mute + Power
P.STD + Help + Sleep + Power
P.STD + Menu + Sleep + Power
Sleep + P.STD + Mute + Power

You can press Channel Up/Down buttons to navigate between available options. To change their values, press Volume Up/Down buttons.

SOURCE: http://www.askvg.com/secret-service-...ony-and-lg-tv/
post #1550 of 1846 Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post
Richard - I have the polarization and color banding you display in a number of posts you have made. You state that a 10 bit picture can eliminate them. Can you explain how on a Samsung KS9000 to set it to 10 bit? Also, if this can not be done is there a way,using the TV'd settings to reduce of eliminate banding/polorization?

The "bit-depth" (Color-Depth) of the actual panel in the KS9000 is fixed at 10-bit. You cannot change this - it's a 10-bit panel.

Now most currently available content (e.g. SDR content, Games, etc.) is usually mastered at 8-bit.

Most HDR content is mastered at 10-bit (i.e. the "10" in HDR10 stands for 10-bit). Dolby Vision content can, on the other hand, be mastered with a 12-bit Color Depth (if they so choose).

Now what you have to understand is that any of the above content can be sent to the TV as an 8-, 10-, or even 12-bit signal. Content that is sent to the TV as an 8-bit signal will be "up-converted" to 10-bit in the TV. Whereas content that is sent as a 12-bit signal will be "down-converted" to 10-bit in the TV.

Note: Although your TV panel is 10-bit, it will still except and process a 12-bit signal. There currently are no TVs available with 12-bit panel, not a single one.

For instance, UHD HDR Blu-ray discs are all mastered with a Color Depth of 10-bit. However, you can send that content from the player to the TV in a 12-bit "wrapper" or "container". The TV will simply down-converted it back to 10-bit.

Now to answer your question about "color banding", the banding you are seeing could simply be caused by "compression artifacts" (from the signal being overly compressed) or could actually be present in the original source content. If this is the case, there's not much you can do about it. The higher quality the source, the less likely you are to see these.

They can also be caused by having incorrect settings on your TV (you can always go through my "Picture Settings Guide" linked to in my signature below).

Richard
kbmb likes this.
post #1551 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Liked: 1
Hi guys,

I have my PC (supports UHD signals) connected to the TV with HDMI 1.4 cable.

Should HDMI UHD Color be turned on or off? What's​ your recommendation?

PS:
I'm​ going to change my cable as soon as HDMI 2.1 cables are available for purchase.
post #1552 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The "bit-depth" (Color-Depth) of the actual panel in the KS9000 is fixed at 10-bit. You cannot change this - it's a 10-bit panel.

Richard
Thank you so much for the explanation.
King Richard likes this.
post #1553 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
New fw up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #1554 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapvi View Post
New fw up

Any word on changes? Hate that Samsung can't list release notes for people. Seems they aren't even posting the files to their site anymore for manual download. I unplugged the network on my TV ever since the malicious process warning I got (that and I don't use any of the apps).

-Kevin
post #1555 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm in north Africa and it's up on the website since this morning haven't installed yet it but I guess we won't notice anything

post #1556 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapvi View Post
I'm in north Africa and it's up on the website since this morning haven't installed yet it but I guess we won't notice anything

Good to know. The US site doesn't have any download listed.

-Kevin
post #1557 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos123 View Post
Hi guys,

PS:
I'm​ going to change my cable as soon as HDMI 2.1 cables are available for purchase.
Why? The TV isn't going to support HDMI 2.1, and using 2.1 cables isn't going to benefit you in any way over getting regular 18 Gbps cables.
King Richard and Mythos123 like this.
post #1558 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos123 View Post
Hi guys,

PS:

Just to add to what @audacious nick already said above...

HDMI 1.4, 2.0(a/b) and 2.1 are all HDMI connection specifications NOT cable specifications.

Any "High-speed"/"Category 2" cable will do for most applications.

For UHD HDR content, a cable rated for 18 Gbps (or more) is preferred (and actually needed for certain bandwidth intensive applications).

Additionally, the shorter the cable, the better (~15 ft or less) - although some cables work just fine at greater lengths.

As to your question about the "HDMI UHD Color" setting, it all depends on what you are sending to you TV.

See the Spoiler! below for more:

Spoiler!

See also >THIS POST<

Richard
Mythos123 likes this.

Last edited by King Richard; 04-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.
post #1559 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Just to add to what @audacious nick already said above...

HDMI 1.4, 2.0(a/b) and 2.1 are all HDMI connection specifications NOT cable specifications.

Any "High-speed"/"Category 2" cable will do for most applications.

For UHD HDR content, a cable rated for 18 Gbps (or more) is preferred (and actually needed for certain bandwidth intensive applications).

Additionally, the shorter the cable, the better (~15 ft or less) - although some cables work just fine at greater lengths.

As to your question about the "HDMI UHD Color" setting, it all depends on what you are sending to you TV.

See the Spoiler! below for more:

Spoiler!

See also >THIS POST<

Richard
In relation to the HDMI UHD COLOUR setting been on/off.

Does it matter if i have this turned off for one of my HDMI sources, but then say whilst on that source i then decide to use an app in the TV, say Netflix, and watch a 4K HDR show/movie?

Will this effect PQ?

In this instance is it just best left on?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #1560 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTonic View Post
In relation to the HDMI UHD COLOUR setting been on/off.

Does it matter if i have this turned off for one of my HDMI sources, but then say whilst on that source i then decide to use an app in the TV, say Netflix, and watch a 4K HDR show/movie?

Will this effect PQ?

In this instance is it just best left on?

The setting only affects the HDMI inputs.

Therefore, it will have no affect whatsoever on the built-in TV apps.

Now that said, if it's not causing any video or audio issues, you can leave it ON all the time - it won't hurt anything.

Richard
Terminader and ToonTonic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page