Official Samsung KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 456Likes

post #1561 of 1846 Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
The setting only affects the HDMI inputs.

Therefore, it will have no affect whatsoever on the built-in TV apps.

Now that said, if it's not causing any video or audio issues, you can leave it ON all the time - it won't hurt anything.

Richard
Ok sounds good. Thank you for your reply Richard

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1846 Old 04-29-2017, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
Why? The TV isn't going to support HDMI 2.1, and using 2.1 cables isn't going to benefit you in any way over getting regular 18 Gbps cables.
My main reason for wanting to get 2.1 cable instead of 2.0 is for future proofing, so I can keep those cables for a longer period of time before having to exchange them all over again.

PS:
Are you sure our TVs won't benefit from the upcoming 2.1 standard with a firmware update?
post #1563 of 1846 Old 04-29-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Just to add to what @audacious nick already said above...

HDMI 1.4, 2.0(a/b) and 2.1 are all HDMI connection specifications NOT cable specifications.

Any "High-speed"/"Category 2" cable will do for most applications.

For UHD HDR content, a cable rated for 18 Gbps (or more) is preferred (and actually needed for certain bandwidth intensive applications).

Additionally, the shorter the cable, the better (~15 ft or less) - although some cables work just fine at greater lengths.

As to your question about the "HDMI UHD Color" setting, it all depends on what you are sending to you TV.

See the Spoiler! below for more:

Spoiler!

See also >THIS POST<

Richard
I have a high-end PC and use my TV as a PC Monitor. This includes web browsing and watching movies on it.

The only reason I turned off HDMI UHD Color is my HDMI 1.4 cable that supports 3840 x 2160 resolution in only 30 Hz. Am I wrong in doing this, should I enable HDMI UHD Color for all my purpose and needs?

As I previously responded to @audacious nick , my main reason for wanting 2.1 cable instead of 2.0 is for longevity.

Last edited by Mythos123; 04-29-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1846 Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos123 View Post
I have a high-end PC and use my TV as a PC Monitor. This includes web browsing and watching movies on it.

The only reason I turned off HDMI UHD Color is my HDMI 1.4 cable that supports 3840 x 2160 resolution in only 30 Hz. Am I wrong in doing this, should I enable HDMI UHD Color for all my purpose and needs?

As I previously responded to @audacious nick , my main reason for wanting 2.1 cable instead of 2.0 is for longevity.
As I had posted previously, there is currently no upgrade path to HDMI 2.1 for these sets. You should wait until late 2018 before upgrading your cables...the standards have not yet been finalized. If your computer has a video card with HDMI 2.0 output, any current High Speed HDMI cable certified to 18 Gbps should enable you to derive the full benefits of enabling HDMI UHD COLOR.
King Richard and Mythos123 like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #1565 of 1846 Old 04-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
As I had posted previously, there is currently no upgrade path to HDMI 2.1 for these sets. You should wait until late 2018 before upgrading your cables...the standards have not yet been finalized. If your computer has a video card with HDMI 2.0 output, any current High Speed HDMI cable certified to 18 Gbps should enable you to derive the full benefits of enabling HDMI UHD COLOR.
I agree with you, although as I see it I don't have anything to loose buying a hdmi 2.1 cable instead as it is backwards compatible.

Edit:
Anyone know when "2.1 hdmi cables" are going to be available for purchase?

Last edited by Mythos123; 04-29-2017 at 04:12 PM.
post #1566 of 1846 Old 04-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos123 View Post
My main reason for wanting to get 2.1 cable instead of 2.0 is for future proofing, so I can keep those cables for a longer period of time before having to exchange them all over again.

I agree with you, although as I see it I don't have anything to loose buying a hdmi 2.1 cable instead as it is backwards compatible.

Anyone know when "2.1 hdmi cables" are going to be available for purchase?

1. Again, as I said above, the 2.1 Spec. is an HDMI connector specification NOT an HDMI cable specification. Even though HDMI cable companies like to advertise their cables as being "HDMI 1.4", "2.0", or "2.0a" cables (and will most likely be advertising their new cables as "HDMI 2.1" cables), those are actually HDMI connector specs. not cable specs. - i.e. there is really no such thing as a "HDMI 2.0" cable.

2. To answer your last question: the new higher-bandwidth HDMI cables will most likely become available when HDMI 2.1 devices become available (TVs, players, AVRs, etc.) not before.

3. Even if you purchase one of those new HDMI cables (advertised as an "HDMI 2.1 rated" cable) there is no guaranty that it will work with all HDMI 2.1 devices (or all the time with all content). And even if it works fine with the first HDMI 2.1 devices (and new content) that become available, there is no guaranty that it will still work with "future" more capable HDMI 2.1 devices.

Bottom line: I think you should just hold-off purchasing a new HDMI (2.1) cable for when you actually need one. Otherwise, you just might need to replace it again later anyways (when you finally do get around to upgrading your various devices) - not to mention the fact that the new cables will probably be pretty expensive when they first come out.

Richard
Rudy1, Terminader and Mythos123 like this.
post #1567 of 1846 Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
1. Again, as I said above, the 2.1 Spec. is an HDMI connector specification NOT an HDMI cable specification. Even though HDMI cable companies like to advertise their cables as being "HDMI 1.4", "2.0", or "2.0a" cables (and will most likely be advertising their new cables as "HDMI 2.1" cables), those are actually HDMI connector specs. not cable specs. - i.e. there is really no such thing as a "HDMI 2.0" cable.

2. To answer your last question: the new higher-bandwidth HDMI cables will most likely become available when HDMI 2.1 devices become available (TVs, players, AVRs, etc.) not before.

3. Even if you purchase one of those new HDMI cables (advertised as an "HDMI 2.1 rated" cable) there is no guaranty that it will work with all HDMI 2.1 devices (or all the time with all content). And even if it works fine with the first HDMI 2.1 devices (and new content) that become available, there is no guaranty that it will still work with "future" more capable HDMI 2.1 devices.

Bottom line: I think you should just hold-off purchasing a new HDMI (2.1) cable for when you actually need one. Otherwise, you just might need to replace it again later anyways (when you finally do get around to upgrading your various devices) - not to mention the fact that the new cables will probably be pretty expensive when they first come out.

Richard
Ok, let's say I want to purchase a hdmi cable today, at least 23 ft long that can handle 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4 without a problem.

Any good recommendations?
post #1568 of 1846 Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to wall mount my TV but rather stupidly have thrown away the adapter bolts that allow normal mounting fixings to be used in the top 2 mounting points on the back of the TV.

I've spoken to Samsung support and they can only point me in the direction of their authorised parts supplier who are unable to source the replacement parts.

Has anyone in a similar situation had any luck finding the replaceement parts? I'm in the UK.

Thanks
post #1569 of 1846 Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi all

Recently purchased this set from John Lewis at a reduced price due to an open box. All is absolutely perfect apart from one issue. The TV seems to be very wobbly on the stand - is this to be expected on the 78" model? I've tried tightening all the screws but this is still present.

The instability isn't really the main issue for me, it is the fact that the tv is 'wonky'. If I measure the height to the bottom of the TV on both the left and right sides, there is about a 1cm difference from the left to the right. For me this is just driving me mental and I really don't want to just have to send it back.

Any suggestions as to how I can level this out? The cupboard is perfectly level and it just seems to be the TV stand itself.
post #1570 of 1846 Old 05-07-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Loosen all screws associated with the stand slightly. Adjust TV with books or blocks till level. Tighten all screws.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #1571 of 1846 Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffard View Post
Hi all

Recently purchased this set from John Lewis at a reduced price due to an open box. All is absolutely perfect apart from one issue. The TV seems to be very wobbly on the stand - is this to be expected on the 78" model? I've tried tightening all the screws but this is still present.

The instability isn't really the main issue for me, it is the fact that the tv is 'wonky'. If I measure the height to the bottom of the TV on both the left and right sides, there is about a 1cm difference from the left to the right. For me this is just driving me mental and I really don't want to just have to send it back.

Any suggestions as to how I can level this out? The cupboard is perfectly level and it just seems to be the TV stand itself.
It would drive me nuts too.

post #1572 of 1846 Old 05-08-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi all

Is a wall mount completely out of the question? You could have it mounted at the same height on the wall as it is now sitting on the cupboard. These panels are extremely thin, and you might inadvertently damage it while attempting to get the unit level.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #1573 of 1846 Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Good to know. The US site doesn't have any download listed.

-Kevin
It's there now. Vers 1169.2
post #1574 of 1846 Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomanjackel View Post
It's there now. Vers 1169.2
Thanks!

Going to download and install now.

EDIT: downloaded update file failed to install. I plugged TV into network and ran a check and it said no updates available. I'm on 1168.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb; 05-10-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #1575 of 1846 Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Is a wall mount completely out of the question? You could have it mounted at the same height on the wall as it is now sitting on the cupboard. These panels are extremely thin, and you might inadvertently damage it while attempting to get the unit level.
I ultimately ended up just returning the set unfortunately. I would have loved to wall-mount it but was overruled by the wife.

Going back to either a ZD9 or X9405E I think. I've currently got the A1 OLED which is absolutely unbelievable BUT... I just can't deal with the step down from the 75/78" size.
post #1576 of 1846 Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ultimately ended up just returning the set unfortunately. I would have loved to wall-mount it but was overruled by the wife.

Going back to either a ZD9 or X9405E I think. I've currently got the A1 OLED which is absolutely unbelievable BUT... I just can't deal with the step down from the 75/78" size.
If it were my decision to make, I'd go with the ZD9. Much better local dimming performance than any other LCD display currently on the market.
King Richard likes this.

post #1577 of 1846 Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, new here i know
(I searched for a ks9500 thread and found none so i guess this is the place to be)

I recieved my 65" ks9500 in march. I Moved into my first home/condo and after , finally done settling in I can recieve some help with this TV.

This tv is fantastic and looks absolutely amazing however,
My issue is when i watch 4k on netflix the tv studders randomly.
I thought maybe its my internet but its a up to 1gbps connection (usenet downloads at 100-110mbs)

However my TV is on wifi, because why would they not put the lan connection on the one connect box?!? (Tv is wall mount)
On fast.com i get 51mbps.

I remember using Picture settings found here awhile ago (back in march)
Im from Montreal and have Bell Fibe using their Home 3000 router.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
post #1578 of 1846 Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEffect View Post
Hi all, new here i know
(I searched for a ks9500 thread and found none so i guess this is the place to be)

I recieved my 65" ks9500 in march. I Moved into my first home/condo and after , finally done settling in I can recieve some help with this TV.

This tv is fantastic and looks absolutely amazing however,
My issue is when i watch 4k on netflix the tv studders randomly.
I thought maybe its my internet but its a up to 1gbps connection (usenet downloads at 100-110mbs)

However my TV is on wifi, because why would they not put the lan connection on the one connect box?!? (Tv is wall mount)
On fast.com i get 51mbps.

I remember using Picture settings found here awhile ago (back in march)
Im from Montreal and have Bell Fibe using their Home 3000 router.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Yeah your internet you be fine the issue most of the time is with the App.. So you might try doing a rest set on your Smart Hub. You will have to renter in your Netflix info but for the most part that usually clears up issues with the App. Just like any other App they update them from time to time to address issues but in the mean time give that a try.
King Richard likes this.
post #1579 of 1846 Old 05-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys. Our family decided to do a TV swap around rooms turning our small 40" into a computer monitor for the wife who works at home, leaving us a TV short! I love it when that happens and I don't need to sell her on getting a TV!! So, I head over to Best Buy with the thought that I'd look to see if they had a Vizio P, the new Sony 900e or left over Samsung KS8000. I've had the Hisense 4K for several months and what a nice little bargain that thing is. But it doesn't quite put out the nits so it's fake HDR so into the bedroom it goes out of the man cave.

I walked the BB floor and lo and behold there is a Vizio floor display and it's cheap. Real cheap. But I owned that when it came out and before all the firmware and wasn't impressed with non HDR PQ and it doesn't put out nearly the necessary nits either. But still. It's a step up from the Hisense so I'm all in. As they're waiting for the warehouse guys to come out and take the TV down and wrap it up I go into the Magnolia section which I hadn't done before thinking they only had the top of the line TVs and were way above my price point. Tucked away in the top corner is a KS9000 open box with no stand, remote, paperwork and it's $899. Wow. The HDR is eyeball seering and it pops like nothing I had seen outside of OLED. I proceed to go back to the guy who is still waiting for help to get the Vizio down and mention how it's a shame that KS is missing all those accessories because I'd spend the several hundred extra if it had them. So a manager hears this and runs back into some back room and returns with the stand, remote, paperwork!! The TV is mint with no dead pixels, smudges, light bleed or damage of any kind. It's gorgeous. I really lucked out. I never thought I'd be the one who found such a TV at such a low price after hearing others' success stories over the years!

I get home, updated firmware, put in the settings I found here...and wow!! Incredible clarity, color and even regular HD shows look improved. Watched several Youtube 4K last night and I'm finally seeing 4K HDR as it's intended. I purchased a PS4 Pro and Xbone S but have only been playing my Nintendo Switch because I wanted to wait for a high caliber TV before I played all the HDR games i.e. Gears of War 4, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, etc. Now I can get r done! Can't wait to fire up Batman v Superman 4K and finally start adding to my 4K Blu ray collection.
Rudy1, ucsdsig, SunPowered and 1 others like this.
post #1580 of 1846 Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti-F1 View Post
Yeah your internet you be fine the issue most of the time is with the App.. So you might try doing a rest set on your Smart Hub. You will have to renter in your Netflix info but for the most part that usually clears up issues with the App. Just like any other App they update them from time to time to address issues but in the mean time give that a try.
Thanks for your reply.

Factory reset the whole TV? Or is it possible just the smarthub
post #1581 of 1846 Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEffect View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Factory reset the whole TV? Or is it possible just the smarthub
I figured it out. In the self diagnosing. I did the smarthub reset however i still experience freezing, this only in the 4k shows (like sense8) on netflix. The other shows are fine.

Im usinh the rting settings for the picture.
post #1582 of 1846 Old 05-13-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just picked one of the 75's up at Sam's on a May Sale. Nice price and the square trade warranty for 5 years for $99.00. Will be playing around with it shortly.

post #1583 of 1846 Old 05-14-2017, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks!

Going to download and install now.

EDIT: downloaded update file failed to install. I plugged TV into network and ran a check and it said no updates available. I'm on 1168.

-Kevin
sorry, you need to manually download the .zip file.
-extract the .zip file and place the newly created folder onto a usb flashdrive.
-plug the flashdrive into the tv/one connect box and install from there.
tool0123 likes this.
post #1584 of 1846 Old 05-14-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quick Question. What is the length of the One Connect cable from tv to one connect box ?
Thanks,
Glen

post #1585 of 1846 Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomanjackel View Post
sorry, you need to manually download the .zip file.
-extract the .zip file and place the newly created folder onto a usb flashdrive.
-plug the flashdrive into the tv/one connect box and install from there.
Yeah did all that. Each time it sees the update and starts chugging away and gets 75% done and says failed.

Oh well, I'll eventually get it updated via the network. Not really expecting too much in these updates at this point.

-Kevin
post #1586 of 1846 Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah did all that. Each time it sees the update and starts chugging away and gets 75% done and says failed.

Oh well, I'll eventually get it updated via the network. Not really expecting too much in these updates at this point.

-Kevin
You may want to try a different thumb drive. And just to be sure, format the drive as FAT32.

post #1587 of 1846 Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Quick Question. What is the length of the One Connect cable from tv to one connect box ?
Thanks,
Glen
Never mind I finally found it. 6.5 ft

post #1588 of 1846 Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The black screen flash when trying to play on PS4 Pro is so damn annoying with this TV.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #1589 of 1846 Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Part 2: Why is color Volume Important ?

Hey my friends, it’s me again.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally finished the second part of my Color Volume article – which is post #2 in my “What is Color Volume?” thread. If you haven’t done so already, I would like to invite you to first read the first part of my article – which is post #1 in that thread.

>LINK: What is Color Volume ?<

I also made further improvements to the first part (post #1 ) of my article, adding more information, including more pics and illustrations. I also added a lengthy Quote from professional colorist Stephen Nakamura to the HDR section.

Stephen Nakamura is a colorist with "Company 3" in LA, who has worked with really high profile directors and cinematographers and knows more about HDR than most people. He has graded in HDR movies like Exodus: Gods and Kings (the first ever movie to be HDR graded); Tomorrowland (Disney’s first HDR grade and a movie made for the format); The Martian; and Joy.

Click the LINK above, or in my signature below, to go to the article.

I hope you like it, thank you!

Richard
dee_jay_m and ToonTonic like this.
post #1590 of 1846 Old 05-18-2017, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I am an amazon Prime video subscriber (and Netflix) so the first thing I tried to launch these apps on my new TV and try out the HDR/4K streams. I got disappointed from various angles
In amazon app - the content didn't show up as HDR, the grand tour, Mozart in the jungle, etc. it shows only at 1080p, from what I read around in the forums, is that amazon that stopped showing these as HDR on the Samsung screens, i.e. they provide the HDR quality to specific devices - I am wondering if this is your case? This is why i asked if this is a "none-US" screen issue?
I was expecting the TV to show up the notification as "HDR" without me having to go to the back-light in settings to confirm its interpreted as HDR
In Netflix - the picture wasn't as crisp as I thought it would be
In Netflix - the dark scenes weren't detailed enough the the blacks got "smeared"
I am watching in a lit up room, latest firmware

what's your thought guys, I had a big dilemma whether I should go for this screen or the LG B6 55" at the same price and put my bets here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page