AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread

Tags
ks9000
252K views 2K replies 291 participants last post by  elee321 
#1 · (Edited)
Official Samsung 2016 KS9000 4K UHD Owners Thread

Didn't find any other "official" thread so I'll start this one.

Purchased my Samsung KS9000 65" 4K UHD tv 3 weeks ago and love it. Their remote takes some getting used to but works OK. The picture is outstanding and since I also have the Samsung UHD BluRay player I've ordered a new 4K movie "the Revenant" which should be here today. :)

How many of you also have this set?

#417 ·
I bought this TV at the weekend and had a bit of an effort getting all my inputs working and passing audio to the surround sound receiver. Previously all HDMIs went directly to the receiver, and a single HDMI went to the TV, now with this Samsung all HDMIs go to the One control box, and the ARC HDMI goes back to the receiver.

The issue I have is, I am not sure if HD audio is being passed to the receiver as it no longer shows TrueHD, DTS-HD etc. when these films are played. The content is being played from a Kodi (Openelec chromebox). I appear to hear sound from all 5.1 speakers, but to manage this I had to tell Kodi to send 2.0 audio, so I'm not sure how surround sound is working.

What setup do you guys have to passthrough HD audio?

Thanks

#418 ·
HDMI/ARC cannot pass HD audio. Connect any devices which can output such signals to your AVR; any device which is limited to DTS and Dolby Digital may be connected to the OCB if the device can be set to pass through multichannel audio via the TV's optical output.

#419 ·
How does this compare with the KS8000 I was told to save my money as the KS8000 and KS9000 have the same picture quality. is that correct.

#420 ·
The problem i was having with the HDMI sources going directly to the AVR and the AVR connected to the ARC was live TV audio worked fine but when playing 5.1 material from Kodi only a couple of channels could be heard, so i could hear background but not speaking.

Maybe I need to play with the settings on the AVR. You'd think with the only change being the TV it'd be plug and play with the old set up.

Bottom line is I want TV ARC as i always use the AVR even for live TV, and usually switch HDMI inputs on the AVR not the TV.

I'll have another go at the weekend.

#421 ·
Definitely Plug everything into your AVR and then AVR to your TV. In so far as Live TV.. are you using a cable box or the TV's tuner?

What is your AVR model? What device are you using Kodi on? ARC should not be affecting your Kodi output unless maybe you have the wrong speakers selected?

#428 ·
i have a stupid bug in netflix with my
ks9000. i have 2160p with wireless connection and only 1080p with cable. dont make any sense. the cable is cat6. i prefer have 4k with the cable because my router isnt very good and sometimes causes video buffering. any idea how i can solve this?

#429 ·
Is the ethernet cable connected to a port that is a gigabit port on your router? All I can think of is that the port you are connected to is slow, or maybe has a setting in the router that only allows for slower speeds.

#436 ·
Try a different cable. It may say Cat6 but it could be a cheap cable that is actually Cat5. Even then you should still be getting fast enough speeds to get 4k. Your Network cable could also be bad. I just had one go bad on me but it wasn't glaringly obvious until I tried to download a movie and it was creeping along. After a ton of trouble shooting I found that one of my Cat 6 cables in my setup had some bad pairs. Swapped it out and everything was good as new.

#437 ·
Hi all,

I have started using Plex recently and am using a NUC in my living room attached to my KS9000. I've got a handful of issues going on and some of them seem to be related to the NUC working with the KS9000 as follows:.

1. The image darkens after it's on for 30 seconds or so. I am guessing this has something to do with the TV's "energy saving" which is part of the Samsung "Standard Mode" where it shows the Green compliant trademark. When I put the image in dynamic mode which has no such marking, the screen does not darken. Dynamic is overly vivid and bright giving everything an almost enhanced look so not my preference. If i take it out and back into standard mode it seems fine only to darken again a minute later. None of my other devices dim down like this in standard mode.

2. Closely tied to the above, most of the picture adjustment settings are grayed out with the NUC image. Some basics such as brightness / contrast / backlight are still there, but the color settings are mostly grayed along with some others. This makes adjusting the dynamic mode difficult.

Any help is appreciated.

#438 ·
The KS9000 is identifying your NUC as a PC so it changes the picture options. Do you see Entertain as a picture choice? In the past that seemed to be the best option for PC image in my opinion. Also have you gone through the picture option in your NUC? Which NUC do you have? I will double check mine but under Display Settings you should have options in Monitor/TV settings that you can play around with to see if you can output YCbCr which may give you back some options. I haven't hooked up my HTPC to my KS9000 yet but I will test it out later.

#442 ·
Crutchfield has a special offer going..

True 4K resolution in the comfort of your home

Get a FREE Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player when you purchase a select Samsung Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV.

Just add the qualifying items to your cart and we'll automatically add the free Blu-ray player to your order.

Offer ends 10/29/2016. We retain the right to cancel and/or modify this offer at any time without prior notice. We retain the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time without prior notice. Return of qualifying purchase will void the offer and will require the return of the free player.

#444 ·
Can you use Dynamic picture mode while in HDR mode? I currently have a Sony 940D but am exchanging for the KS 9000 although it is backordered and wont be delivered for the exchange for about another month. I love everything about the 940D other than the HDR. It is too dim/dull for my tastes. Sales rep claims that the KS9000 can be made to be much brighter with HDR content.

#448 ·
Is there anyone else facing problems with Bluetooth connectivity ? I have Logitech mouse and keyboard and both are not found during the scan, tried almost 50 times.

Both keyboard and mouse are easily found by any other device but not the TV (65KS9500)...

Keyboard is: K 830

Mouse is: T 630

Any suggestions ???

#449 ·
I continued to try and get my handshake issue last night and got nowhere. I could not again get the NUC to handshake with the AV7005. I plugged it back into the KS9000 TV where it would handshake but then the lockdown on picture options became an issue again along with the dark image.

I became more and more convinced there is a NUC handshake issue with the pre/pro and searched the web. I found a handful of articles where others have complained about similar issues. Most of them were in Win 10 installations and they were having issues after the reciever was turned off for a period of time, it would not handshake when turned back on. I did find one post about my specific model NUC and someone running OpenElec with similar issues.

https://communities.intel.com/message/355886#355886

I tried turning CEC off one of the suggestions noted (which I need on) but that didnt help either. None of the articles I read seemed to lead to any solution for those having this issue.

All that being said I'm considering going a different direction. I probably have a week or 10 days I can return the NUC to Newegg. I may buy another piece of hardware today 2nd day and then return the NUC next week if it works.

I have another thread where I'm seeking help on this and as it's going away from a KS9000 discussion I'll not bog this thread down with what may become unrelated.

However, if anyone has experience with getting an HTPC to handshake with the KS9000 or similar TV and/or seen issues with the TV dropping out video options in working with an HTPC, I would appreciate any insight.

Reactions: sikclown
#453 ·
I continued to try and get my handshake issue last night and got nowhere. I could not again get the NUC to handshake with the AV7005. I plugged it back into the KS9000 TV where it would handshake but then the lockdown on picture options became an issue again along with the dark image.

I became more and more convinced there is a NUC handshake issue with the pre/pro and searched the web. I found a handful of articles where others have complained about similar issues. Most of them were in Win 10 installations and they were having issues after the reciever was turned off for a period of time, it would not handshake when turned back on. I did find one post about my specific model NUC and someone running OpenElec with similar issues.

I tried turning CEC off one of the suggestions noted (which I need on) but that didnt help either. None of the articles I read seemed to lead to any solution for those having this issue.

All that being said I'm considering going a different direction. I probably have a week or 10 days I can return the NUC to Newegg. I may buy another piece of hardware today 2nd day and then return the NUC next week if it works.

I have another thread where I'm seeking help on this and as it's going away from a KS9000 discussion I'll not bog this thread down with what may become unrelated.

However, if anyone has experience with getting an HTPC to handshake with the KS9000 or similar TV and/or seen issues with the TV dropping out video options in working with an HTPC, I would appreciate any insight.

I am in the same boat but with a PC. I talked with tech support and to fix the dimming issue you have to go to eco settings and turn off the first two options. They said if it is a PC you will not get the full options. I'm still hung up on the tv not triggering 5.1 on the PC.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#455 · (Edited)
The laptop has resolution broken up in two sections, UHD HD SD, and computer. I've only used the 4k native in the UHD section. Every great once in a while it won't be seen as a PC and I get the picture option back. It isn't so bad with the eco items off but I would rather have full control. I'm gonna check a couple things tonight. You got me thinking g about the dual display theory.

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#464 ·
This^^. I would absolutely love to be able to do this on youtube, it might sound crazy, but there are some 1hr remixes in youtube that only have a picture during the whole video, they are usually nice looking girls, but the picture gets old after 2 minutes, i would prefer to be able to shutdown the picture only, and keep the audio going.

#467 ·
I'm hoping there are some other 9000 series owners out there that primarily use it as a PC Monitor like myself to answer this question. I use this TV primarily for my PC Monitor and also for PC Gaming (I don't own any Consoles at all). I'm having a hard time finding information around the input lag / HDR settings / General Video settings when connected through a PC. I have noticed that when you actually have the input set to PC, it disables many of the settings within the TV. I was told to try connecting my PC as another type of device to get around this, but I'm wondering what the presets / input lag are on TV alone. I'm not really sure how to determine if my TV is connecting through the best possible means of 4k 4:4:4 60hz HDR or even the new HDR+ I see after the latest firmware update. Does anyone have any incite into these PC sided settings and insuring you get the best quality and lowest input lag while gaming on a PC? It seems that in order to receive the lowest possible input lag of ~20ms, you have to be in "Game Mode", which is permanently disabled while the input is labeled as PC. Here are the input lag times I see from the RTINGS review site below. It seems like you get almost 40ms input lag while connected as a PC at 4k 4:4:4 60hz and/or with HDR. Also, I'm currently running on a GTX 980, but will be upgrading to a GTX 1080 tomorrow. Both cards should be HDR compatible, but I don't see any indication anywhere that I'm in this mode. Perhaps I just need some enlightenment!

Input Lags for KS9000

1080p @ 60Hz : 20.5 ms 1080p With Interpolation : 110.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 124.1 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 37.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 20.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 37.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 20.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 37.1 ms

#468 ·
PC mode effectively does the same thing as Game mode if I recall correctly but you can go into your Nvidia COntrol Panel and choose TV resolutions rather than PC resolutions and then your KS9000 should have all the regular Picture options available. You definitely want Auto Motion Plus turned off whenever playing games; that where those big 100 plus numbers come from.

#475 ·
an update on my issue with pc triggering and 5.1. last night the laptop would almost always trigger pc mode no matter the settings on the laptop. i moved to working on audio and switching from pcm to bitstream seems to have done something. i can't explain it but now it always shows as a hdmi source. i have switched back and forth a hundred times between the two, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable and every time it comes in as hdmi, not pc. this was last night, before the firmware update.

as for the audio i can get dts and dd to pass to the receiver. when "hdmi audio format" is bitstream the playback source shows stereo with dts and dolby encoding capable. which makes sense because bitstream is raw.

so i guess it is working now. wish i knew why.

#476 · (Edited)
Have anyone noticed (lately) that Youtube app is closing your session and you need to "re-activate" in a web browser using the code again? i did a test and a reboot holding the power button did the trick, and i dont remember this issue happening before, as i did reboot it plenty of times without issues, any ideas? i already did a settings (smart hub)reset from the system menu with no luck, youtube still not saving profile information after a reboot.

#485 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. I just got my KS9000 a few days ago and I'm having problems regarding "HDR mode"/peak brightness with HDR content.

So, I looked at a bunch of tests of this TV before buying and decided on this one mainly because of the high peak brightness with HDR content. I upgraded from a Samsung KU6300, so I got quite used to what ~425 nit peak brightness looks like. According to rtings.com, the KS9000 has a sustained 100% peak brightness of 536 nits, which I'd assume is always the case (no matter what's on the screen) when viewing non-HDR content with the backlight setting at 20, and I'd say that pretty much matches my perception compared to the KU6300.

I was quite excited to be blown away by the apparently up to 1489 nit peak brightness (or at least 1000, since the TV is marketed so) when viewing HDR content, but even with a fairly dark image with only small highlights, I'm honestly not seeing a difference in peak brightness versus non-HDR content (and at the risk of sounding slightly arrogant, I have a very keen eye for things like this).

I've been reading this thread quite a bit, as well as any other information that I can find. I know that the picture mode has to be set to Movie, and Smart LED must be set to High. I've also done the sanity check of setting the Movie mode's backlight to 10 prior to starting HDR content, and then checking to see if it changes to 20 when the HDR content starts. It seems like everything is functioning properly, I'm just honestly not seeing a difference at all.

If anyone is curious as to what my HDR source is, I'm running Shadow Warrior 2 on PC with an NVIDIA GTX 1080. The game has an option for HDR displays, and upon enabling that option, my TV notifies me that it is indeed receiving an HDR source.

Also, I've noticed very strange behavior when I switch immediately back to non-HDR content. The image is horrendously drenched with contrast (like using the Levels tool in Photoshop and dragging the black and white points towards the center), and subtle color shades and grays become primary colors and harsh black and white.

My TV firmware version is 1142. I didn't do any of these tests prior to updating the firmware.

So, my question to everyone is this. How apparent is the peak brightness change from non-HDR to HDR content on this TV for you guys? I know this TV can't sustain 1000+ nits peak brightness on an image with a lot of bright areas for very long, so how dark does the source image have to be? Has anyone else experienced any of these problems? Is it possible that there's something wrong with my TV?

I would have imagined the difference between ~500 nits to ~1000 nits to be drastic, but I'm just not seeing any difference. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.