Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2104Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3091 of 6113 Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,768
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
I recently took the plunge on an 88" and it doesn't come with a centre foam piece. It doesn't look particularly well secured if I'm honest as the only thing separating the screen from the outward box is some air!
That is normally how most TV's come anyway...... Not all but many.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3092 of 6113 Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,972
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
Hi All - I recently purchased a discounted display model of a curved UN88KS9810 (aka KS9800 I guess?). Does anyone have a picture of the foam pieces that were all supposed to be included? I did not get a curved piece of foam that I believe the screen is supposed to be set on while you're servicing the back of the TV, e.g. removing the stand or attaching it. I could be crazy and no such piece of foam was ever included but it was difficult with three people holding the tv up while someone unscrewed the base and some unboxing videos and articles i have seen (for other models, not this one unfortunately) show a piece of curved foam specifically designed for resting the screen on whilst performing this activity. I called samsungparts.com too and they corroborated this theory although couldn't give me a SKU for the foam piece or a link to any concrete evidence that it exists. Any help is appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
I recently took the plunge on an 88" and it doesn't come with a centre foam piece. It doesn't look particularly well secured if I'm honest as the only thing separating the screen from the outward box is some air!

I did find this video of its predecessor which also doesn't include the centre foam piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYmIHNZQWjk
I concur. My 88" (purchased at an "I can't believe this is the price" price on fleabay) did not come with a center foam piece. However, the box came sandwiched between two very large piece of foam - probably roughly 48" x 36" and around 5" thick - on each side. I suppose one could use these to rest the TV on though they're not curved.

That said, my cousin and I were able to unscrew the stand more or less while the TV was in the bottom foam - had to lift it up for one screw IIRC. Then carried it to the mount. Hope I never have to do that again. Ugh.

But WOW what a picture.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #3093 of 6113 Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Foam Pieces for UN88KS9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I concur. My 88" (purchased at an "I can't believe this is the price" price on fleabay) did not come with a center foam piece. However, the box came sandwiched between two very large piece of foam - probably roughly 48" x 36" and around 5" thick - on each side. I suppose one could use these to rest the TV on though they're not curved.

That said, my cousin and I were able to unscrew the stand more or less while the TV was in the bottom foam - had to lift it up for one screw IIRC. Then carried it to the mount. Hope I never have to do that again. Ugh.

But WOW what a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoPad View Post
Think there is one guy here who owns a 88" - besides you then. Can speak of 78". It does not come with that foam wall you referring to. KS8005 aka 9000 in us did. But not curved. Also the 78 came mounted with stand. Pillows or similar could work. Otherwise.... Lay it down but its own weight could perhaps damage the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
I recently took the plunge on an 88" and it doesn't come with a centre foam piece. It doesn't look particularly well secured if I'm honest as the only thing separating the screen from the outward box is some air!

I did find this video of its predecessor which also doesn't include the centre foam piece: [i can't post links yet]
Thank you all for the feedback. I actually talked to the store manager at the major big screen retailer i bought it from and asked specifically if either (a) a curved piece of foam was missing from the packaging or (b) it was a separately-purchasable maintenance accessory. He looked into it and the answers were both no (despite what samsungparts.com initially told me). He also said that it was just as much of an ordeal for his team to get it off the wall and onto the stand to ship to my house as it was for me and my friends to get it back off the stand and onto the wall. I think when it comes time to move again i'm going to build a cradle with wood blocks and foam to support it so i can re-attach the stand for transport.
tvwatcher12345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3094 of 6113 Old 04-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Member
 
DuoPad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My set goes back to store this week. Not sure if I order a third.
DuoPad is offline  
post #3095 of 6113 Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What are some UHD players that people are using in here? Any ones to avoid due to connection or handshake issues with this TV?

Currently I'm looking at Philips, Sony and the upcoming Panasonic UB400.
FullyArray is offline  
post #3096 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Member
 
DuoPad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 20
K8500
jeep05 likes this.
DuoPad is offline  
post #3097 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoPad View Post
K8500
^^ Avoid this one like the plague. Wrong chroma sub-sampling, Red push, horrible audio sync issues. No option of Native Res. and the upscaling to 4K is terrible, I had to keep switching between 1080p and 4K resolution. I returned it within a week.
ray0414 likes this.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3098 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Member
 
DuoPad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Haven't had much issues with it. Can't say I agree with your experience. Panasonic should be better but was sold out in store.
jeep05 and King Richard like this.
DuoPad is offline  
post #3099 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoPad View Post
Haven't had much issues with it. Can't say I agree with your experience. Panasonic should be better but was sold out in store.
No worries, not everyone will have the same experience, just my two cents on the player itself. I will say that many x800 Sony owners say that the PQ is certainly better than that of the K8500. I tend to agree but its up to people, their weight on importance of accurate PQ and pricing as well, right not that thing is going for less than $190 brand new, cheapest on the market. I personally felt that it was not doing the KS9800 justice and audio sync was horrible.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3100 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
No worries, not everyone will have the same experience, just my two cents on the player itself. I will say that many x800 Sony owners say that the PQ is certainly better than that of the K8500. I tend to agree but its up to people, their weight on importance of accurate PQ and pricing as well, right not that thing is going for less than $190 brand new, cheapest on the market. I personally felt that it was not doing the KS9800 justice and audio sync was horrible.

Hey man, sorry you had those issues. Mine has performed very well in audio and upscaling category. Have not seen any issues with either. Sounds like you got a lemon. Hope you have better results with the next purchase.
b0rnarian and King Richard like this.
jeep05 is online now  
post #3101 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I'm seeing this sporadically on my Sony X930D as well as my Samsung Q9.
What's odd is that the issue is not present on my F8000 or JS9000. Perhaps they access a different YouTube portal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
It only happened that 1 night, it kept saying error and wouldn't load. Has worked fine since then. Youtube on the tv is almost daily for me now. I check the newly uploaded and recommended section based on my viewing history. Signed up for youtubeRed and it's way better not having commercials or ads. It is annoying though that the tv makes me resign in every day it seems.
Same issue here as well with being forced to sign in. I have the YouTube link bookmarked on my phone to "activate" my account.

Q8FN
KS9800
F8000
Arctura is offline  
post #3102 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Hey man, sorry you had those issues. Mine has performed very well in audio and upscaling category. Have not seen any issues with either. Sounds like you got a lemon. Hope you have better results with the next purchase.
Yeah I was so burned after the Experience, I didnt even think to buy another player till now. And still, its a tie between the Sony and the new Samsung (willing to give it a second chance) but nothing seems to be solid in its own rights so still waiting.
jeep05 likes this.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3103 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
thanks for the guidance - any further tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Yeah I was so burned after the Experience, I didnt even think to buy another player till now. And still, its a tie between the Sony and the new Samsung (willing to give it a second chance) but nothing seems to be solid in its own rights so still waiting.
If you did get one now would you go for the Sony x800? Is it significantly demonstrably better when playing UHD discs? I just picked up a KS9800 series, actually my first 4K tv (previously had a H7150 1080p series from 2014) so I have no comparison basis in terms of how UHD/HDR blu ray looks from one player to the next, other than peoples' opinions on here.
tvwatcher12345 is offline  
post #3104 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
If you did get one now would you go for the Sony x800? Is it significantly demonstrably better when playing UHD discs? I just picked up a KS9800 series, actually my first 4K tv (previously had a H7150 1080p series from 2014) so I have no comparison basis in terms of how UHD/HDR blu ray looks from one player to the next, other than peoples' opinions on here.
I should mention I already own the earlier samsung model in question but I can still return it ^
tvwatcher12345 is offline  
post #3105 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
I should mention I already own the earlier samsung model in question but I can still return it ^
This is tough to answer, especially since you already have the earlier model.
If you are happy with the player, keep it but several ppl in the x800 thread said the Sony was a miles better in PQ than the K8500. And I know for a fact that the 8500 has chroma sub sampling issues that generate inaccurate image quality. Besides that, other issues are personal preferences that may or may not bother you. Since you already got the player, try it and see if you like it, I couldn't make it work properly so I returned it. Hopefully, the 2nd gen player has all these major flaws fixed. Rest of it again comes to personal preference and that's whats keeping me from making a decision. Sorry if I confused you even more lol...

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3106 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
This is tough to answer, especially since you already have the earlier model.
If you are happy with the player, keep it but several ppl in the x800 thread said the Sony was a miles better in PQ than the K8500. And I know for a fact that the 8500 has chroma sub sampling issues that generate inaccurate image quality. Besides that, other issues are personal preferences that may or may not bother you. Since you already got the player, try it and see if you like it, I couldn't make it work properly so I returned it. Hopefully, the 2nd gen player has all these major flaws fixed. Rest of it again comes to personal preference and that's whats keeping me from making a decision. Sorry if I confused you even more lol...
gotcha & thank you again. if you get another disc player and it is a dramatic improvement in PQ on your KS9800 please let us know probably stupid last question but i'm guessing the chroma sub sampling issues on the 8500 aren't something that could be fixed by a firmware update?
tvwatcher12345 is offline  
post #3107 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,935
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12754 Post(s)
Liked: 12078
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
gotcha & thank you again. if you get another disc player and it is a dramatic improvement in PQ on your KS9800 please let us know probably stupid last question but i'm guessing the chroma sub sampling issues on the 8500 aren't something that could be fixed by a firmware update?
Very unlikely. Samsung would rather sell you a new player, to which they have 2 new players launching very soon. I wouldn't go back to the k8500 because it's like using an old analog player. None of the adjustments are easily accessible. It's quite ridiculous.
jeep05 and tvwatcher12345 like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is online now  
post #3108 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Very unlikely. Samsung would rather sell you a new player, to which they have 2 new players launching very soon. I wouldn't go back to the k8500 because it's like using an old analog player. None of the adjustments are easily accessible. It's quite ridiculous.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
tvwatcher12345 likes this.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3109 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
No one mentioned the fan noise of the 8500, but that's either subjective or varies from unit to unit.

As much as I like my KS9800 I'm generally not impressed by Samsung on the software and update side of things so I'll keep them off my short list for now, unless there's some nice feature that's only made available to connected Samsung TVs.
FullyArray is offline  
post #3110 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
No one mentioned the fan noise of the 8500, but that's either subjective or varies from unit to unit.

As much as I like my KS9800 I'm generally not impressed by Samsung on the software and update side of things so I'll keep them off my short list for now, unless there's some nice feature that's only made available to connected Samsung TVs.
So the new player supposedly calibrates HDR on Samsung TVs automatically, nobody even knows what that means - maybe it just means the Brightness and Contrast will go up to a 100 like it does with any other player or maybe something else? New player also gives you color space info. which it did not previously on the 8500. PQ is almost (almost) on par with the Sony and that's saying something (per Sparechange on YT, who did a quick look on the 9500). Remote is a lot better but still missing few key buttons such as changing resolution on the fly.

Also, the player has new Tizen update from 2017 TVs, it looks cool. Not to mention when the Dynamic Metadata feature drops on the 2016 and 2017 models, will this player be one of the first or only one to support that on its Streaming apps? Lastly, is all that worth 100 bucks more than the Sony's cheaper yet better player?
jeep05 and FullyArray like this.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3111 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Member
 
DuoPad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do you guys have noisy, grainy or flimner-like appearance in high def sources? Haven't thought much about it, but I really can see it very clearly. Trying to adjust settings but it doesn't seem to do anything. Sharpness screw it up even further. I would like to call this noise or grainy. Im seated 6m away from tv btw. Find this strange.
DuoPad is offline  
post #3112 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
LCSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
What are some UHD players that people are using in here? Any ones to avoid due to connection or handshake issues with this TV?

Currently I'm looking at Philips, Sony and the upcoming Panasonic UB400.
I've had a 65in KS9800 for two weeks now, and I've been using an Oppo UDP-203 practically every minute I've been home. I've not had a problem with playback as of yet.

Emotiva RMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5, AppleTV 4K
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
LCSeminole is offline  
post #3113 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
SheldonT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
I've had a 65in KS9800 for two weeks now, and I've been using an Oppo UDP-203 practically every minute I've been home. I've not had a problem with playback as of yet.
I've been using an Oppo UDP-203 for several months now with absolutely no problems. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. Great build. Makes the K8500 look like a toy. I moved my K8500 upstairs to use with my 78HU9000. One thing I like about the Oppo 203 is that it will play all the HD codecs (Atmos, DTS-X, etc.) from my NAS or PC which most Bluray or UHD players can't do. It doesn't have apps, but I have enough devices that do.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
SheldonT is offline  
post #3114 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,935
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12754 Post(s)
Liked: 12078
Huge news for Samsung owners.

Samsung and Amazon announced hdr10+ partnership. In the statement, the samsung says 2016 tvs will be updated in 2nd half of 2016.



https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-pl...tandard-hdr10/
ray0414 is online now  
post #3115 of 6113 Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
This talk of dynamic metadata for HDR10 has me thinking of waiting for the 9500. But if it's an open standard then other players should eventually support it too, no?

Related news:

Samsung and Amazon Video Deliver Next Generation HDR Video Experience With Updated Open Standard HDR10+

Quote:
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. and Amazon Video today announced the introduction of HDR10+, an updated open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors on an expanded range of televisions.

“At Amazon, we are constantly innovating on behalf of customers and are thrilled to be the first streaming service provider to work with Samsung to make HDR10+ available on Prime Video globally later this year.”

HDR10+ elevates the HDR10 open standard with the addition of Dynamic Tone Mapping. The current HDR10 standard utilizes static metadata that does not change during playback despite scene specific brightness levels. As a result, image quality may not be optimal in some scenes. For example, when a movie’s overall color scheme is very bright but has a few scenes filmed in relatively dim lighting, those scenes will appear significantly darker than what was originally envisioned by the director.

HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows a high dynamic range (HDR) TV to adjust brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. With the ability to display outstanding contrast with detailed highlights and a richer range of colors, HDR10+ produces images that are much closer to the director’s intent.

All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.
Edit, haha beaten by ray by 2 minutes
ucsdsig and ray0414 like this.
FullyArray is offline  
post #3116 of 6113 Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,972
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
I've had a 65in KS9800 for two weeks now, and I've been using an Oppo UDP-203 practically every minute I've been home. I've not had a problem with playback as of yet.
I use the Oppo too and it's great. No issues (knocks wood).


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Huge news for Samsung owners.

Samsung and Amazon announced hdr10+ partnership. In the statement, the samsung says 2016 tvs will be updated in 2nd half of 2016.



https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-pl...tandard-hdr10/
I'm really stoked on this. I'd hoped for it but wasn't holding my breath. As I said in the announcement thread - regardless of how widespread HDR10+ becomes on streaming services, our 2016 Samsung TVs just got better.
ucsdsig likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #3117 of 6113 Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
From the KS9000 thread:

Quote:
HDR10+ INFORMATION:

Here are the facts, confirmed via email from the product development director and the two leading engineers at Samsung:

There is no upgrade path for HDR10+ (AKA, "dynamic HDR 10") available ahead of the hardware update to HDMI 2.1 which is required to support HDR10+ from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2016 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0a inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2017 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0b inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2018 Samsung HDR TVs will support HDR10+ via streaming as well as on their HDMI 2.1 inputs.
I didn't realize it's only for streaming on pre HDMI 2.1 TV's. That sure takes the wind out of the sails.
FullyArray is offline  
post #3118 of 6113 Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Member
 
sheffard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi guys. Initially I've posted this in the KS9000 thread, but was advised I would potentially get a better response here. I've recently purchased the Sony 75" X940E which is unbelievable BUT... is exceptionally expensive. I'm looking at switching this for either the Sony 65" Z9D (75" is way out of my price range) or the 78" KS9000 (this is the curved version here in the UK, 9500 in the US?).

I know that TECHNICALLY the Z9D is going to be the better TV (3D, FALD, ridiculous amount of dimming zones, future Dolby Vision, etc etc), but I can't help but think that for the same price, I'd prefer the size of the Samsung.

The problem I have is that every forum comes to the same conclusion, the Z9D is always going to come out on top being one of the LCD TV's of 2016 (maybe even 2017). But, for the extra screen estate at the same price, maybe the 78KS9000 is the bargain that I should go for. Particuarly as I'm not overly techy!

Any thoughts? Apologies as I know this is an owner's thread, but you're exactly the people I'm hoping to get advice from!
sheffard is offline  
post #3119 of 6113 Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffard View Post
Hi guys. Initially I've posted this in the KS9000 thread, but was advised I would potentially get a better response here. I've recently purchased the Sony 75" X940E which is unbelievable BUT... is exceptionally expensive. I'm looking at switching this for either the Sony 65" Z9D (75" is way out of my price range) or the 78" KS9000 (this is the curved version here in the UK, 9500 in the US?).

I know that TECHNICALLY the Z9D is going to be the better TV (3D, FALD, ridiculous amount of dimming zones, future Dolby Vision, etc etc), but I can't help but think that for the same price, I'd prefer the size of the Samsung.

The problem I have is that every forum comes to the same conclusion, the Z9D is always going to come out on top being one of the LCD TV's of 2016 (maybe even 2017). But, for the extra screen estate at the same price, maybe the 78KS9000 is the bargain that I should go for. Particuarly as I'm not overly techy!

Any thoughts? Apologies as I know this is an owner's thread, but you're exactly the people I'm hoping to get advice from!
If the KS (9000/9500) you are referring to is not FALD then you are in wrong thread, as this is the KS9800 which is FALD.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #3120 of 6113 Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
If the KS (9000/9500) you are referring to is not FALD then you are in wrong thread, as this is the KS9800 which is FALD.
Hi
Just a quick note, the European equivalent of KS9800 is KS9500 and it is FALD.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
yogeshwani is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off