Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2128Likes

post #91 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2371 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post
. Down the road Samsung hopefully will be pushing out Dynamic HDR 10 to our sets. Dolby vision is being used on TV's that have a low nit value like the LG Oleds. Here is a link that explains the two.

[e[/URL]

But for dynamic hdr10 you need HDMI 2.0b - new hardware. Dolby vision only needs 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
But for dynamic hdr10 you need HDMI 2.0b - new hardware. Dolby vision only needs 2.0

From what we've been told so far, Dynamic HDR10 might only require a Firmware update on current Samsung TVs.

However, we still know very little about it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Actually, Dolby Vision only needs HDMI 1.4 (at least theoretically speaking). HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a

Richard
post #93 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello Everyone. Greetings from Poland.
Colleagues from hdtvpolska.com make one of the most advanced tests of tv sets in Poland. They prepared some unique tests in order to present advantages and disadvantages of presented picture on selected tv models
Due to the fact that HDR looks good but only on paper they started also it's own method to judge how good is HDR picture on tested tv.
Unfortunatelly they haven't tested KS 9500 (EU 9800 model) yet but testing KS9000 (US9500 model) and KS 8000 they noticed that peak brighteness tv could maintain only 2-3 seconds, and after this time it drops by 60-70%. to 400-500 nits. This could be a problem in some HDR scenes in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Good luck with the TV. Just curious, when you first got the set did you happen to check the firmware version or did you check it after a few hours. I wonder if you had 1100 and Samsung updated yours really quick to 1111 before you had a chance to check the firmware version. It's possible you had 1111 right from the beginning because I think the 65KS9800 was probably put into production after the 78KS9800. I had HDR+ with 1100 and 1111. Zdrucker had 1105 when he got his TV which Samsung most likely messed up and left out HDR+. That's the only thing that makes sense. He'll probably have to wait till Samsung pushes the update to his TV, unless it shows up on the Korean or US website. We used to get the firmware updates for the HU9000 with the SEK3500 Evolution kit from the Korean website.
Hi Sheldon, out of habit I checked the Firm Ware version after setting up my account and WIFI on the 65KS9800. It is very possible Samsung pushed through an update immediately after I setup the WIFI. I agree with you that Samsung probably produced the 78KS9800 before the 65KS9800. Most big box stores did not have the 65KS9800 until most recently. Best Buy still does not show the 65KS9800 as available but they are probably try to move other models before releasing this TV. Have a great day!
post #95 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemx3 View Post
Hi Sheldon, out of habit I checked the Firm Ware version after setting up my account and WIFI on the 65KS9800. It is very possible Samsung pushed through an update immediately after I setup the WIFI. I agree with you that Samsung probably produced the 78KS9800 before the 65KS9800. Most big box stores did not have the 65KS9800 until most recently. Best Buy still does not show the 65KS9800 as available but they are probably try to move other models before releasing this TV. Have a great day!
That's exactly what they are doing - they told me that at my local Best Buy stores. When I kept checking their website back in May, KS9800 never showed up. Around May 20, I stopped in my local Best Buy to take another look at the Sony X75940D and while talking to the LG rep, I told him that I was waiting for the KS9800 to come in before I made a decision between the two. He checked to see if the KS9800 was in the system and lo and behold they had 31 of the 78KS9800 in the warehouse. He said he could order me one for delivery in three days. I told him I still wanted to see one in person. The Samsung rep called me on June 2 to tell me they had a 78" on display where other stores didn't. So, I bet the 65KS9800 is in their system right now, you just have to ask them to look it up.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #96 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
That's exactly what they are doing - they told me that at my local Best Buy stores. When I kept checking their website back in May, KS9800 never showed up. Around May 20, I stopped in my local Best Buy to take another look at the Sony X75940D and while talking to the LG rep, I told him that I was waiting for the KS9800 to come in before I made a decision between the two. He checked to see if the KS9800 was in the system and lo and behold they had 31 of the 78KS9800 in the warehouse. He said he could order me one for delivery in three days. I told him I still wanted to see one in person. The Samsung rep called me on June 2 to tell me they had a 78" on display where other stores didn't. So, I bet the 65KS9800 is in their system right now, you just have to ask them to look it up.
Sheldon, I'm just curious. What made you decide to go with the Samsung 78KS9800 over the Sony X75940D? I'm still on the fence between the two and waiting on more reviews and this weeks TV shootout results.

2013 UN65F9000, 2015 SEK-3500U/ZA OCB
2013 PN51F8500, 2018 XBR-Z9F
post #97 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonC View Post
Sheldon, I'm just curious. What made you decide to go with the Samsung 78KS9800 over the Sony X75940D? I'm still on the fence between the two and waiting on more reviews and this weeks TV shootout results.
One of the reasons I went with Samsung was that I have always had good luck with all their HD TVs that I have bought in the past. I've had 2 DLP's, one older LCD, the 78HU9000 and now the KS9800. I'm used to the Settings interface and believe it or not, I like the curve. If I had my choice, I would get the new 77" LG Oled, but I just can't see spending $25,000 for a TV - $10,000 is bad enough. I was really impressed with the X75940D. The blacks were excellent, the colors were great, the picture was awesome. I played with the settings on the TV in the Magnolia room and know I would get used to the menus if I bought the TV. I would have liked to have seen the KS9800 in the Magnolia room under the same conditions, but I was told that Samsung wanted that TV out in their display in the store where as you know, the lights are bright and not great for testing how good a TV really is. Even though, I thought the TV looked great and after reading the articles on the European version (in my post #1) , I decided I would take a chance on the KS9800 seeing that I would have 45 days to return it if I wasn't satisfied or if the panel wasn't good. I would then either try another KS9800 or a Sony X75940D. Right now after calibration and dialing in the picture to my liking, the KS9800 looks amazing and should get better with firmware updates. I wanted to wait for the shootout, but who knows if they would get a good panel to test or one with a bad mini one connect box. Sometimes it just makes sense to try it out under your own viewing conditions. That's the reason I took a chance and bought from Best Buy. They don't hassle you when you return it within the return period. It's a tough decision plus a $4,000 difference in price at Best Buy. I don't think you could go wrong with either TV.
jasyn likes this.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #98 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I went with Samsung was that I have always had good luck with all their HD TVs that I have bought in the past. I've had 2 DLP's, one older LCD, the 78HU9000 and now the KS9800. I'm used to the Settings interface and believe it or not, I like the curve. If I had my choice, I would get the new 77" LG Oled, but I just can't see spending $25,000 for a TV - $10,000 is bad enough. I was really impressed with the X75940D. The blacks were excellent, the colors were great, the picture was awesome. I played with the settings on the TV in the Magnolia room and know I would get used to the menus if I bought the TV. I would have liked to have seen the KS9800 in the Magnolia room under the same conditions, but I was told that Samsung wanted that TV out in their display in the store where as you know, the lights are bright and not great for testing how good a TV really is. Even though, I thought the TV looked great and after reading the articles on the European version (in my post #1) , I decided I would take a chance on the KS9800 seeing that I would have 45 days to return it if I wasn't satisfied or if the panel wasn't good. I would then either try another KS9800 or a Sony X75940D. Right now after calibration and dialing in the picture to my liking, the KS9800 looks amazing and should get better with firmware updates. I wanted to wait for the shootout, but who knows if they would get a good panel to test or one with a bad mini one connect box. Sometimes it just makes sense to try it out under your own viewing conditions. That's the reason I took a chance and bought from Best Buy. They don't hassle you when you return it within the return period. It's a tough decision plus a $4,000 difference in price at Best Buy. I don't think you could go wrong with either TV.

Thanks SheldonT for your opinion. I appreciate it. I'm leaning Samsung but not quite ready to decide yet. Have you experienced any problems any problems with connecting to your AVR(more specifically using the ARC function)? I've seen quite a bit of problems with people having issues with the ARC on the Sony. I'm not willing to sacrifice not being able to use my AVR in the way I want, especially with a TV costing this much.

post #99 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonC View Post
Thanks SheldonT for your opinion. I appreciate it. I'm leaning Samsung but not quite ready to decide yet. Have you experienced any problems any problems with connecting to your AVR(more specifically using the ARC function)? I've seen quite a bit of problems with people having issues with the ARC on the Sony. I'm not willing to sacrifice not being able to use my AVR in the way I want, especially with a TV costing this much.
I haven't tried ARC on this TV yet and probably won't. I tried it on my 78HU9000 with limited success. Sometimes it would work and most of the time it wouldn't. I think I had to shut the TV down and restart to get it to work. I just ran an optical cable from the one connect to the AVR - worked great. Do the same with the KS9800. Too many people have problems with ARC and I don't think it's relegated to Samsung. I know when I was following the Sony 75X940D forum, there were several complaints about ARC. What I did with the 78HU9000 was to run an HDMI cable from Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 of my Denon X7200WA to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 of the SEK3500 Evolution kit (one connect box) so that I could run my Samsung K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray player with it's own settings to HDMI 2 and my other devices (cable box and Dune media player) to HDMI 1 with it's own settings. I have a Universal Remote Control MX980 remote control that I can program with macros to control each activity by pushing on button. So it was very easy to switch inputs and turn devices on and off. I figured I should have no problem moving to the KS9800. Just plug the one connect cable to the TV and the mini one connect box, plug in the TV and everything should work like it did with the HU9000. Wrong. The KS9800 didn't like two HDMI inputs coming from the AVR. When I would switch from the cable box to the K8500, the K8500 menu would come up like it was supposed to, I would then start the movie and when asked if I wanted to resume and I hit Yes, the screen would go black but I had sound from the AVR. Sometimes I would get the movie to show on the screen, but if I stopped the movie and tried to restart it from the menu as a test, I would get the black screen again. I finally called Samsung the next day, explained my problem to them and they told me that what I was trying to do should work just like it did on my HU9000. She couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. She put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back to tell me that someone would be back to me in 24 to 48 hours. I knew that would never happen and said OK, I'll wait for the follow up call. Still haven't heard from them. That night I reset the TV a couple of times and still couldn't get it to work correctly. I finally gave up and disconnected the second HDMI. Everything works fine now using only HDMI 1 - everything runs through that one port. I did try running two HDMI cables from the K8500 - one to the AVR for sound and the other to HDMI 2 on the one connect box for video and that worked fine. The only thing is that doesn't allow me to see the volume level on the screen anymore, I have to look at the AVR's screen which isn't easy to see. Other than that, I had no problems with the AVR so far.

How do you want to use the AVR? If you are just using one of the inputs on the KS9800, I think you should be fine. Sorry I can't help with ARC. I like to run everything through the AVR, some people don't. If your AVR isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant, you will have to run one HDMI from your Blu-ray player to the one connect for video and the second one from the Blu-ray player to your AVR for sound, that is if your player has two outputs. The K8500 does and some other player do, also.
mikemx3 and CannonC like this.

Last edited by SheldonT; 06-20-2016 at 02:13 PM.
post #100 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 138
two hdmi cables from my Denon AVR to my JS9500 works great..I have one setup for movie viewing on all connected devices to my AVR and the other one is permanently set on Game mode for playing my consoles thru the AVR.

I am expecting this to work also again on my incoming KS9800...

Only problem I could see is perhaps that auto selecting source option for an connected source...perhaps that causes the error when two hdmi outputs from the AVR are connected to the mini connect box??

On my current 9500 I just push the source button and select another input.

There is no option to in the settings to turn off that auto detecting?
post #101 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer2usa View Post
two hdmi cables from my Denon AVR to my JS9500 works great..I have one setup for movie viewing on all connected devices to my AVR and the other one is permanently set on Game mode for playing my consoles thru the AVR.

I am expecting this to work also again on my incoming KS9800...

Only problem I could see is perhaps that auto selecting source option for an connected source...perhaps that causes the error when two hdmi outputs from the AVR are connected to the mini connect box??

On my current 9500 I just push the source button and select another input.

There is no option to in the settings to turn off that auto detecting?
According to the person I spoke to at Samsung, she said the auto detect can't be turned off. Whether she was right or not, who knows but I'm sure the auto detect feature is what is causing my problem using the 2 HDMI outputs to the mini one connect box. What I thought was funny was that it detected my K8500 no problem but didn't detect my Denon receiver which is 18 months old. I had to manually set it up with the K8500. I actually used the two outputs from the K8500 before I had my AVR upgraded to HDCP 2.2 back in May. I'd be curious to see if you can get yours working. If you can, I might have a defective one connect box. She offered to send me a new one connect box, but I told her I would try to solve it on my own first.

post #102 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Found the review I referred to earlier in the thread. I believe the 9800 is the 9500 in the UK.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...v-review.12673
post #103 of 6185 Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dolby Vision only needs HDMI 1.4 actually.
post #104 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
According to the person I spoke to at Samsung, she said the auto detect can't be turned off. Whether she was right or not, who knows but I'm sure the auto detect feature is what is causing my problem using the 2 HDMI outputs to the mini one connect box. What I thought was funny was that it detected my K8500 no problem but didn't detect my Denon receiver which is 18 months old. I had to manually set it up with the K8500. I actually used the two outputs from the K8500 before I had my AVR upgraded to HDCP 2.2 back in May. I'd be curious to see if you can get yours working. If you can, I might have a defective one connect box. She offered to send me a new one connect box, but I told her I would try to solve it on my own first.

Just to be sure. You tried of course all 4 HDMI inputs on the connect box with two cables coming from AVR?

That would be a major letdown if it doesn't work anymore, because I also have different picture settings on the second HDMI input for the game mode setup.

Those probably will be saved seperately when selecting game mode but I still would have to switch to game mode everytime I want to play a game...just switching sources goes much faster and quicker.

I just upgraded to a Denon 6200W last year and have at the moment even 3 HDMI outputs of my AVR connected to the one connect box with a UHD mediaplayer going thru output 3 and even that is working great.

Not a reason to cancel though just a major letdown.

Hopefully my tv will turn up by the end of the week and I will update with my findings.
post #105 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried ARC on this TV yet and probably won't. I tried it on my 78HU9000 with limited success. Sometimes it would work and most of the time it wouldn't. I think I had to shut the TV down and restart to get it to work. I just ran an optical cable from the one connect to the AVR - worked great. Do the same with the KS9800. Too many people have problems with ARC and I don't think it's relegated to Samsung. I know when I was following the Sony 75X940D forum, there were several complaints about ARC. What I did with the 78HU9000 was to run an HDMI cable from Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 of my Denon X7200WA to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 of the SEK3500 Evolution kit (one connect box) so that I could run my Samsung K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray player with it's own settings to HDMI 2 and my other devices (cable box and Dune media player) to HDMI 1 with it's own settings. I have a Universal Remote Control MX980 remote control that I can program with macros to control each activity by pushing on button. So it was very easy to switch inputs and turn devices on and off. I figured I should have no problem moving to the KS9800. Just plug the one connect cable to the TV and the mini one connect box, plug in the TV and everything should work like it did with the HU9000. Wrong. The KS9800 didn't like two HDMI inputs coming from the AVR. When I would switch from the cable box to the K8500, the K8500 menu would come up like it was supposed to, I would then start the movie and when asked if I wanted to resume and I hit Yes, the screen would go black but I had sound from the AVR. Sometimes I would get the movie to show on the screen, but if I stopped the movie and tried to restart it from the menu as a test, I would get the black screen again. I finally called Samsung the next day, explained my problem to them and they told me that what I was trying to do should work just like it did on my HU9000. She couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. She put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back to tell me that someone would be back to me in 24 to 48 hours. I knew that would never happen and said OK, I'll wait for the follow up call. Still haven't heard from them. That night I reset the TV a couple of times and still couldn't get it to work correctly. I finally gave up and disconnected the second HDMI. Everything works fine now using only HDMI 1 - everything runs through that one port. I did try running two HDMI cables from the K8500 - one to the AVR for sound and the other to HDMI 2 on the one connect box for video and that worked fine. The only thing is that doesn't allow me to see the volume level on the screen anymore, I have to look at the AVR's screen which isn't easy to see. Other than that, I had no problems with the AVR so far.

How do you want to use the AVR? If you are just using one of the inputs on the KS9800, I think you should be fine. Sorry I can't help with ARC. I like to run everything through the AVR, some people don't. If your AVR isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant, you will have to run one HDMI from your Blu-ray player to the one connect for video and the second one from the Blu-ray player to your AVR for sound, that is if your player has two outputs. The K8500 does and some other player do, also.
Thanks Sheldon! I appreciate your feedback. I'm using just one cable from one connect box to my AVR and then run everything else(Oppo, Apple TV) through my AVR. It's not a fancy setup but I prefer everything ran through my AVR as well. I am about to get a new Yamaha AVR with HDCP 2.2 once I buy a new TV, so that will not be an issue.

Last edited by CannonC; 06-21-2016 at 05:03 AM.
post #106 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer2usa View Post
Just to be sure. You tried of course all 4 HDMI inputs on the connect box with two cables coming from AVR?

That would be a major letdown if it doesn't work anymore, because I also have different picture settings on the second HDMI input for the game mode setup.

Those probably will be saved seperately when selecting game mode but I still would have to switch to game mode everytime I want to play a game...just switching sources goes much faster and quicker.

I just upgraded to a Denon 6200W last year and have at the moment even 3 HDMI outputs of my AVR connected to the one connect box with a UHD mediaplayer going thru output 3 and even that is working great.

Not a reason to cancel though just a major letdown.

Hopefully my tv will turn up by the end of the week and I will update with my findings.
I tried 1,2 and 3. As long as everything is on 1, you won't have any problem. The only way you can use other HDMI ports on the one connect is to run them straight to the one connect form the device you are using. I tried that over the weekend with two HDMI cables to the K8500 with one running straight to the one connect box for video and one to the AVR for sound. That works. The problem from what I see is that when you first set up the TV, you are supposed to turn on the devices that you want the KS9800 to recognize. The K8500 was recognized no problem being automatically assigned to HDMI 1. The Denon AVR wasn't recognized. But I assume the KS9800 knows the AVR is there because it was able to set up the K8500 which runs through the AVR. The fun starts when you try to turn on the K8500 with my universal remote. It switches to HDMI 2 which has different settings for the K8500 and turns on the K8500. You then get an error message that the source is wrong and do you want to set up another provider on the source which gets you nowhere. I then went to the "Sources" menu and deleted the K8500 hoping I could set it up manually on HDMI 2. I then added the K8500 as a new device. The next screen asks if you are running the new device through the TV or Home Theater. If you chose Home Theater, the next screen asks what HDMI the Home Theater is on. At that point you only have one choice - HDMI 1,2,3 or 4. If I pick 2, that screws up my cable box which is on HDMI 1. Samsung obviously didn't take in to account that some people use their AVR with multiple HDMI outputs. The problem is they are trying to be innovative with this new auto detect system - they should have left things the way they were. I had no problem with my HU9000 and apparently the 2015 Samsungs had no issue either. Right now everything is running through HDMI 1. I'm pretty sure there might be a setting in the Service Menu or the Advanced Service Menu to turn off Auto Connect, but I don't want to take a chance searching around and maybe brick the TV. With my HU9000, if you messed up in the SM or the ASM, you could just buy another one connect box or Evolution kit for $400. With this TV, I think some of the processing is in the TV. You brick the KS9800, I think you have to buy a new TV. Hopefully, this will be corrected with firmware updates.
King Richard likes this.

post #107 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12861 Post(s)
Liked: 12221
Theres a new review out that pits dolby vision vs HDR10 on an oled E6.

it gets interesting, because the dolby vision version has a little more vibrant colors and less clipping than the hdr10 versions. but he ends up testing HDR10 on the KS9800 for comparison, and the picture the KS9800 produces with HDR10 is more in line with the Dolby Vision version over the hdr10 version on the oled (in other words, more detail on the ks9800 and less clipping vs hdr10 on the oled E6).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby...1606214303.htm
dreaux, jasyn and dmwolf like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #108 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well, I got my replacement KS9800 65" yesterday and set it up and I didn't wait for this one to have a problem. I stuck Sheldon's calibration settings in and tweaked a few things and watched a crap load of HDR movies. One thing i will note about this 65" curved screen. Off angle viewing, at least to me on this particular set is "FRIGGING AMAZING"! I might not be as sensitive as some to washed out colors and fading from an angle as some are. Our viewing distance is about 7 1/2 to 8' straight on to the center of the screen. We have a big couch centered to the tv and then a couple of large recliners set within about a foot of that couch on either side. So those chairs are roughly 18" off the edges of either side of the screen and sitting in one of them i'd say they are approximately at a 45 degree angle to the center of the screen and i see absolutely no change in color intensity or contrast at those viewing points. the picture is just sublime at those angles. I found my JS8500 from last year to be almost exactly the same.

Based on that, I'd tell anyone considering this set, but scared about the viewing angle wrecking the picture to go somewhere and check that out in person and see for yourself. Now part of what you will see in a B&M store would be those BS super bright dynamic settings the stores use on their display units. In a more controlled lighting environment like your living room I think you will be pleasantly surprised how good the picture is. And i did this in lower level lighting and then cranked up all the recessed LED's in my ceiling and found the picture to be almost identical. Those led's are 11 watt each and make the room appear to be outside they are so bright. Amazingly, there is hardly any glare on the set sitting in the center or in those side chairs. And from a super bright room to one that would be more like a dark room with biased lighting the picture changes very little that my personal opinion is that there is no loss of color/contrast or viewing enjoyment.

This TV, and it is truly my first high end set, has an awesome picture almost no matter how i change my lighting and viewing angle. Granted this has all been all HDR movies except for a couple of older blu-ray's (avatar, kick ass and upscaled 4k total recall). The HDR movies i have watched or checked stuff on so far are ( the martian, mad max, the lego movie, The 5th wave and spiderman 2.) I'm going to pop in Deadpool and the new UHD star treks later.

I have watched a bit of regular tv and a little 4K off of my direct 4k box also. Things looked really good. I haven't played anything we'd consider bad source content so i cannot comment on that yet. Haven't streamed 4k content from netflix of amazon yet either, but i will get to that in the next couple of days

Based on this 1st 24 hours of viewing i give this set 4 thumbs up and an easy 9 out of 10. I really thought i would be bugged about the curve but i honestly can't complain about my viewing experience at all so far.

The picture clarity just floors me. It is so bright/crisp and colorful with tons of detail in both bright and darker scenes. I was gonna be all over the 75" sony after the VE shootout the next two days, but based on the crazy price i got from amazon at 3733.00 plus tax i don't know if i'd even consider the sony now, for yes a larger screen but also about 2k more out of my pocket. but we'll see. unless this set starts having issues quickly, i'm thinking this one is a keeper.

I've not noticed any blooming that would be a distraction or haloing. The black bars, top and bottom, i'v yet to notice any change/white light in them. This tv just has a superb all around picture. I did notice that my firmware on this set is only 1105 and it does not show the HDR+ option as yet. no big deal at this point. i'll see how that is when the fw update rolls it into my set.

Last edited by cryodude; 06-21-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #109 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have a question for owners. I have a 65KS9800 ready for delivery but I haven't accepted delivery due to a headache I had with the JS9500 line (this was supposed to be an upgraded replacement for JS9500 giving me a headache). My main problem with the line and I noticed this in all four that have passed through my house is on fast pans there are faint yellow lines (not bulky) and not always, I'm guessing it's attributed to something like DSE. Does the KS9800 suffer from the same type of problem or is it less noticeable on this years model?
post #110 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryodude View Post
Well, I got my replacement KS9800 65" yesterday and set it up and I didn't wait for this one to have a problem. I stuck Sheldon's calibration settings in and tweaked a few things and watched a crap load of HDR movies. One thing i will note about this 65" curved screen. Off angle viewing, at least to me on this particular set is "FRIGGING AMAZING"! I might not be as sensitive as some to washed out colors and fading from an angle as some are. Our viewing distance is about 7 1/2 to 8' straight on to the center of the screen. We have a big couch centered to the tv and then a couple of large recliners set within about a foot of that couch on either side. So those chairs are roughly 18" off the edges of either side of the screen and sitting in one of them i'd say they are approximately at a 45 degree angle to the center of the screen and i see absolutely no change in color intensity or contrast at those viewing points. the picture is just sublime at those angles. I found my JS8500 from last year to be almost exactly the same.

Based on that, I'd tell anyone considering this set, but scared about the viewing angle wrecking the picture to go somewhere and check that out in person and see for yourself. Now part of what you will see in a B&M store would be those BS super bright dynamic settings the stores use on their display units. In a more controlled lighting environment like your living room I think you will be pleasantly surprised how good the picture is. And i did this in lower level lighting and then cranked up all the recessed LED's in my ceiling and found the picture to be almost identical. Those led's are 11 watt each and make the room appear to be outside they are so bright. Amazingly, there is hardly any glare on the set sitting in the center or in those side chairs. And from a super bright room to one that would be more like a dark room with biased lighting the picture changes very little that my personal opinion is that there is no loss of color/contrast or viewing enjoyment.

This TV, and it is truly my first high end set, has an awesome picture almost no matter how i change my lighting and viewing angle. Granted this has all been all HDR movies except for a couple of older blu-ray's (avatar, kick ass and upscaled 4k total recall). The HDR movies i have watched or checked stuff on so far are ( the martian, mad max, the lego movie, The 5th wave and spiderman 2.) I'm going to pop in Deadpool and the new UHD star treks later.

I have watched a bit of regular tv and a little 4K off of my direct 4k box also. Things looked really good. I haven't played anything we'd consider bad source content so i cannot comment on that yet. Haven't streamed 4k content from netflix of amazon yet either, but i will get to that in the next couple of days

Based on this 1st 24 hours of viewing i give this set 4 thumbs up and an easy 9 out of 10. I really thought i would be bugged about the curve but i honestly can't complain about my viewing experience at all so far.

The picture clarity just floors me. It is so bright/crisp and colorful with tons of detail in both bright and darker scenes. I was gonna be all over the 75" sony after the VE shootout the next two days, but based on the crazy price i got from amazon at 3733.00 plus tax i don't know if i'd even consider the sony now, for yes a larger screen but also about 2k more out of my pocket. but we'll see. unless this set starts having issues quickly, i'm thinking this one is a keeper.

I've not noticed any blooming that would be a distraction or haloing. The black bars, top and bottom, i'v yet to notice any change/white light in them. This tv just has a superb all around picture. I did notice that my firmware on this set is only 1105 and it does not show the HDR+ option as yet. no big deal at this point. i'll see how that is when the fw update rolls it into my set.
I'm glad to hear that your second TV worked out. I think you'll love the TV. It has an amazing picture. I found also that the off angle viewing is excellent after further review over the weekend. Anywhere on my sectional you have a good colorful picture. Can't say that about my 78HU9000. I'm glad you like the curve and like I've said you really don't notice it while you are watching, especially under dark conditions, where I do most of my viewing. I haven't notice any blooming either. I should point out that when you are watching cable or satellite TV, some stations have a better quality picture than others. So it's hard to judge your picture settings from cable. I thought I would point that out so you're not disappointed with the TV. It will do a better job of improving the picture than other TV's. I would bet that you will be getting 1111 soon. Are you using the smart remote or a universal remote? Are you using an AVR?
mikemx3 and King Richard like this.

post #111 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwolf View Post
I have a question for owners. I have a 65KS9800 ready for delivery but I haven't accepted delivery due to a headache I had with the JS9500 line (this was supposed to be an upgraded replacement for JS9500 giving me a headache). My main problem with the line and I noticed this in all four that have passed through my house is on fast pans there are faint yellow lines (not bulky) and not always, I'm guessing it's attributed to something like DSE. Does the KS9800 suffer from the same type of problem or is it less noticeable on this years model?
I haven't noticed any DSE or yellow lines so far. The picture has been excellent. I watched the last two games of the NBA Finals and there was nothing odd that I could see. I've had no problem with motion so far using the default motion setting. No banding or DSE either. Was your JS9500 calibrated? If it was and you still had problems like DSE, you may have had a bad panel or bad one connect box. It's hard to say. It might be your cable company's feed. Does this happen while watching a Blu-Ray or while streaming on Netflix or Amazon?

post #112 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 PM

I didn't get any of the panels calibrated, as 2 of them didn't stay in the house long enough (they had a really thick yellow band - one in the middle, the other to the left, that was clear during any motion on the set and went back to the store). I have seen the problem with various sources and even with the TV Apps (Marco Polo - Season 1 exhibits it, during some of it's battle fields pans). Other than that I was/am happy with the Picture Quality of the JS9500 and based on the early feedback of the KS9800 I'd suspect I'd be happy with those as well (Not quite ready to jump into OLED). Those yellow lines just drove me up the wall and I am still fighting the repair/exchange for one of my problem sets.

I noticed it on very light blue backgrounds (sky) and hockey rinks. Soccer, Football and basketball all looked just fine.
post #113 of 6185 Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't get any of the panels calibrated, as 2 of them didn't stay in the house long enough (they had a really thick yellow band - one in the middle, the other to the left, that was clear during any motion on the set and went back to the store). I have seen the problem with various sources and even with the TV Apps (Marco Polo - Season 1 exhibits it, during some of it's battle fields pans). Other than that I was/am happy with the Picture Quality of the JS9500 and based on the early feedback of the KS9800 I'd suspect I'd be happy with those as well (Not quite ready to jump into OLED). Those yellow lines just drove me up the wall and I am still fighting the repair/exchange for one of my problem sets.

I noticed it on very light blue backgrounds (sky) and hockey rinks. Soccer, Football and basketball all looked just fine.
Sounds like a bad panel. The ice on the hockey rink would really show it.

post #114 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
dmwolf, I've not watched any sports, no baseball or soccer or racing where they are panning around back and forth so i cannot comment about that yet. I will be watching some giants games in the next couple of weeks. I've seen no DSE or banding of any type. I'm no expert and i have a couple of friends that bought JS9500's last year. I've watched movies and sports at both places and thought it had a pretty good picture, certainly better than anything i owned at home. I've no doubt that the new KS9800 is definitely a big step forward from the JS9500 based on those viewing experiences at my friends. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the total picture quality. And you should definitely check the VE shootout that is tomorrow (Wednesday and Thursday). They will be pitting the sony 940D with the KS9800 and the LG G6 and i think also an LG edge lit and the vizio R 65". I really think they should do the Vizio P series from this year but my 2cents doesn't count heh.
ray0414 and King Richard like this.
post #115 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that your second TV worked out. I think you'll love the TV. It has an amazing picture. I found also that the off angle viewing is excellent after further review over the weekend. Anywhere on my sectional you have a good colorful picture. Can't say that about my 78HU9000. I'm glad you like the curve and like I've said you really don't notice it while you are watching, especially under dark conditions, where I do most of my viewing. I haven't notice any blooming either. I should point out that when you are watching cable or satellite TV, some stations have a better quality picture than others. So it's hard to judge your picture settings from cable. I thought I would point that out so you're not disappointed with the TV. It will do a better job of improving the picture than other TV's. I would bet that you will be getting 1111 soon. Are you using the smart remote or a universal remote? Are you using an AVR?
Thanks Sheldon, this set has offered up a very refreshing couple of days of viewing. And i'm about to watch the newest star trek into darkness in a very low light setting so wth all those dark scenes i'll have another opportunity to see blooming/haloing under HDR conditions. I hear you on the satellite feed quality of shows. there are a few things that i have watched that certainly didn't look so hot, but i totally toss that up as bad source material. The directv 4K channels woot all 3 of them look good. I just brought home an ethernet splitter so i can hardwire everything in the home entertainment center, the 4k blu ray player my marantz AVR (when it come back in a few days from warranty) and one to the back of the tv. probably over kill but i hate streaming from the tv on wifi and getting buffering. and its a pain to turn stuff off and off just to get streaming thru the blu ray player since it does have the highest bandwidth capability although i know i am limited by my 60 meg dl speeds from charter in my neighborhood.

MY remote of choice is my harmony but i actually set up the tv remote and it works ok. really simple to get it all synced up but didn't do the AVR cause like i mentioned, my SR5010 had the main HDMI board die and they are sending a brand-new replacement that should arrive monday. This cheesy little Denon i picked up just to not have to listen to the tv speakers wasn't worth the trouble of cluttering up my harmony with a whole new set of gear.
post #116 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 AM

just throwing this out there, i read a couple things where Samsung said that they are for sure doing a FW update for the 2016 tv's for HDR 10 dynamic range metadata. And i have a good friend who has a small custom AV shop and he said that his contact at Samsung confirmed that to him last week as well. I think that is part of the reason that the new samsung tv's have (or will have soon) the ability to do HDR+ on SDR content. Seems that they were planning this ahead of the game as they knew the change in HDR10 is coming later this year. well that is what i was told anyhow.. Sure would be cool... i can see where DV does have a distinct advantage over HDR10 unless you have a FALD set with really good brightness that doesn't care to much about the darker HDR10 encoding on these initial 4k UHD blu-rays.
King Richard likes this.
post #117 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12861 Post(s)
Liked: 12221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryodude View Post
dmwolf, I've not watched any sports, no baseball or soccer or racing where they are panning around back and forth so i cannot comment about that yet. I will be watching some giants games in the next couple of weeks. I've seen no DSE or banding of any type. I'm no expert and i have a couple of friends that bought JS9500's last year. I've watched movies and sports at both places and thought it had a pretty good picture, certainly better than anything i owned at home. I've no doubt that the new KS9800 is definitely a big step forward from the JS9500 based on those viewing experiences at my friends. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the total picture quality. And you should definitely check the VE shootout that is tomorrow (Wednesday and Thursday). They will be pitting the sony 940D with the KS9800 and the LG G6 and i think also an LG edge lit and the vizio R 65". I really think they should do the Vizio P series from this year but my 2cents doesn't count heh.

the LG edge lit was pulled.

curious to hear more impressions from other owners who have experience with the JS9500.

native black levels, processing, glare, etc.

also, you said you had a JS8500, do you currently still have it or was that tv returned? and what settings are you using for HDR? do you use the dynamic contrast setting when watching HDR like "most" samsung owners do?

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #118 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
the LG edge lit was pulled.

curious to hear more impressions from other owners who have experience with the JS9500.

native black levels, processing, glare, etc.

also, you said you had a JS8500, do you currently still have it or was that tv returned? and what settings are you using for HDR? do you use the dynamic contrast setting when watching HDR like "most" samsung owners do?
Ray0414, We do still have the JS8500. We got a really good panel. It's going into the bedroom. I set up my tv based on a calibration that Sheldon did, and then i tweaked several settings just a little bit to suit my/wifes tastes for color/contrast. I do not have the dynamic contrast turned on. But i have only had the tv for 36 hours, so i will surely be tinkering with settings for a while. I haven't really done a hd/4k set up for regular tv. I just change the backlight, contrast and a couple other settings a little and thats it.
ray0414 likes this.
post #119 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did stop by the store last night and took a look at the KS9800 demo they had and the first thing I noticed was I couldn't see myself on the screen in a well lit room. I was rather impressed. It didn't appear to be as bad of blooming either on the HDR content they were showing compared to the two JS9500's I have at my house. I want to take Star Trek Into Darkness HDR over and give it a try on the set, as they didn't have a copy in house (it's what I was watching this weekend, so it's fresh in my mind to compare).

I've been waiting for the shootout or some direct comparisons between the OLEDs (B is the only one really in my budget) and the KS9800, but due to never owing an OLED or an LG TV (I'm nervous of my first one being a rather expensive one), I will likely just take delivery of the KS9800 I paid for in April assuming I'm confident the annoyances I had with the JS9500's are gone and some of that was me just having bad luck with panels I think.
ray0414 likes this.
post #120 of 6185 Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did stop by the store last night and took a look at the KS9800 demo they had and the first thing I noticed was I couldn't see myself on the screen in a well lit room. I was rather impressed. It didn't appear to be as bad of blooming either on the HDR content they were showing compared to the two JS9500's I have at my house. I want to take Star Trek Into Darkness HDR over and give it a try on the set, as they didn't have a copy in house (it's what I was watching this weekend, so it's fresh in my mind to compare).

I've been waiting for the shootout or some direct comparisons between the OLEDs (B is the only one really in my budget) and the KS9800, but due to never owing an OLED or an LG TV (I'm nervous of my first one being a rather expensive one), I will likely just take delivery of the KS9800 I paid for in April assuming I'm confident the annoyances I had with the JS9500's are gone and some of that was me just having bad luck with panels I think.
Just remember that today and tomorrow Value Electronics has the high end SHOOTOUT with Sony, Samsung, LG and others happening and it will be streamed and also some reviewers there will be posting stuff via twitter, etc...go to ********************* and you will find current info on what is happening with the shootout at the CE in NYC today an mañana, that was what i was going to do and i am still going to check out the results and try to catch the streaming part. My initial goal was to get the new sony 940D which is the size i really wanted at 75". But two weeks ago when i saw that Amazon had pulled a mega boner and stuck the 65" KS9800 up for oval most 700.00 under samsung suggested retail price i thought ok, do it. so we did and the first set arrived shipped wrong, but the tv set up and looked fine for about 90 minutes then only sound and no picture. After about an hour, working with customer service and tech support they said WTF and sent brand new one, via white glove delivery which i just got this Monday and they gave me another 100.00 plus tax off the purchase price for the problems with the 1st set. So i really did get a great price and i want to make it work out. It appears that i got an awesome replacement. But i will still be checking out the shootout as maybe i will find that the consensus is the sony or the LG oled in my case the B6, would possibly be the set i'd want. Just need to wait and see how the shootout goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page