Toshiba TV at Best Buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Toshiba TV at Best Buy

www dot best buy dot com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/4808500.p?id=bb4808500&skuId=4808500

(sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet)

Model number is 49L420U.

I know this is not the toshiba of old, but for my current situation (renting for a year before moving into a house, sold my last TV before relocating), it doesn't make a lot of sense to drop $1,000 or more on a tv that may not be a good fit for where I end up. So a 49" set with even a respectable picture quality is pretty enticing for $300 ($280 if you bundle it w a PS4, which I am likely to do).

Anyone have any real world experience with this TV? I'm not expecting anything approaching a best-in-class picture, but I don't want to just end up being frustrated and replacing it in 3 months anyway. I'm weighing whether it makes more sense to pick up this little guy, or going into the $5-600 range on a 2015 model.

Thanks in advance!
-m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2016, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimregi View Post
www dot best buy dot com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/4808500.p?id=bb4808500&skuId=4808500
Actually just bought one of these today and will take delivery next weekend.

Originally went in looking for a 40" non-smart set at the $250 price point (so LG, Samsung, and Sony according to the BB website) but decided after looking at them that they were too small and got to looking at the similarly priced 43" Toshiba instead. Seemed pretty decent, but the price card also mentioned a 49" for just $50 more, so that's what I went with. But it wasn't in stock at the store, hence the wait until next weekend for delivery.

Last edited by michaelwalsh; 09-03-2016 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I would go with the Vizio E Series over that Toshiba for less than $100 more or find a 50" Vizio D series. Either would be great for gaming because they have super low input lag.

Can't even find that Toshiba's input lag online, so who knows how bad it could be.

The D Series is the lowest of any TV at 13ms and the E Series is 30ms.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-48...&skuId=4904701

Use this site to help you research

http://ca.rtings.com

Last edited by b_rad4; 09-03-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you take a look in person? I was enticed by the price tag, but ended up passing after going there in person and the picture on the floor model looked turrible.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mel View Post
Did you take a look in person? I was enticed by the price tag, but ended up passing after going there in person and the picture on the floor model looked turrible.
I saw the 43" model in person and it looked OK to me. I've found some settings for tweaking the picture by someone who'd used the WOW calibration DVD and I'm going to give those a try.

In that size I'd be stuck with a Westinghouse or Insignia TV for that kind of money, so it's worth a punt. Worst case is that I end up being not so happy with it and take it back for something else.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 AM

Well, I have my TV. It's not actually bad except for one thing - whites have a somewhat noticeable pinkish tinge to them. Or at least it's noticeable when I'm running a feed from my laptop and compare the two side-by-side. I don't find it objectionable in a $300 spare-room TV so I'm probably going to keep it, but I would probably be dissatisfied had I spent more and/or it was going to be the set in my living room.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwalsh View Post
I saw the 43" model in person and it looked OK to me. I've found some settings for tweaking the picture by someone who'd used the WOW calibration DVD and I'm going to give those a try.

In that size I'd be stuck with a Westinghouse or Insignia TV for that kind of money, so it's worth a punt. Worst case is that I end up being not so happy with it and take it back for something else.
I picked one up for $250 when they were selling them out locally.

I would love to see the tweaks you made so I can give them a try if you don't mind sharing.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rabindranauth View Post
I picked one up for $250 when they were selling them out locally.

I would love to see the tweaks you made so I can give them a try if you don't mind sharing.

They were from this thread:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8830719-49-t...-free-shipping

I haven't actually got around to trying any of them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
cheap , deals , televisions , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page