TV LG 42LE5300 calibration settings? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV LG 42LE5300 calibration settings?

Hey all.
I'm trying to calibrate my led tv for my ps3/4, but it seems I have no idea what I'm doing.

Does any body have calibration settings for this tv to ps3 and 4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
To adjust your tv, you need to either;

1. Use a calibration disk such as the free AVS HD709 disk or a commercial disk such as WoW and adjust the basic settings. It won't be a calibration but it may be all you need.
2. Purchase a light meter and software and learn how to calibrate yourself. A steep learning curve but very satisfying.
3. Pay for a professional calibration.
4. Tweak to taste.

Sharing settings quite often doesn't work satisfactorily because all you're doing is adjusting your tv to someone else's. Component tolerances can vary considerably from tv to tv so what looks good on one, can look like crap on another. A true calibration adjusts those individual component tolerances to rec.709 standards based on where the tv qc tolerances were set by the mfr.

Source will also make a difference. So what ever you use as the source for calibration or adjustment, the device needs to be at default settings so that it is not affecting any of the panel's settings. You want to adjust the panel, not the source feeding it. The tv also needs to have any artificial enhancements disabled as well.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
To adjust your tv, you need to either;

1. Use a calibration disk such as the free AVS HD709 disk or a commercial disk such as WoW and adjust the basic settings. It won't be a calibration but it may be all you need.
2. Purchase a light meter and software and learn how to calibrate yourself. A steep learning curve but very satisfying.
3. Pay for a professional calibration.
4. Tweak to taste.

Sharing settings quite often doesn't work satisfactorily because all you're doing is adjusting your tv to someone else's. Component tolerances can vary considerably from tv to tv so what looks good on one, can look like crap on another. A true calibration adjusts those individual component tolerances to rec.709 standards based on where the tv qc tolerances were set by the mfr.

Source will also make a difference. So what ever you use as the source for calibration or adjustment, the device needs to be at default settings so that it is not affecting any of the panel's settings. You want to adjust the panel, not the source feeding it. The tv also needs to have any artificial enhancements disabled as well.
Yeah.. didn't understand a thing you said, calibration is a process too complicated for me and I don't have time to learn it all, not sure what light meter and software to buy, and I don't have a calibration service in my country lol, don't know even where to get a person to do it from.

and about the AVS HD709 disk, you're saying that's not calibration? so what good is it for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salata5 View Post
Yeah.. didn't understand a thing you said, calibration is a process too complicated for me and I don't have time to learn it all, not sure what light meter and software to buy, and I don't have a calibration service in my country lol, don't know even where to get a person to do it from.

and about the AVS HD709 disk, you're saying that's not calibration? so what good is it for?
The AVS HD 709 disk can be used for calibration if you have a light meter. Otherwise, you can just use the reference patters for adjusting the basics which are contrast, brightness, aspect, sharpness, and color. You might want to educate yourself a bit on what's involved in properly adjusting your tv's settings based on what controls are available to you. This is really important if you do find a set of "calibration settings", apply them, and find that your pq is crap. At least you'll have a basic understanding of what's going on and won't think your tv is bad.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The AVS HD 709 disk can be used for calibration if you have a light meter. Otherwise, you can just use the reference patters for adjusting the basics which are contrast, brightness, aspect, sharpness, and color. You might want to educate yourself a bit on what's involved in properly adjusting your tv's settings based on what controls are available to you. This is really important if you do find a set of "calibration settings", apply them, and find that your pq is crap. At least you'll have a basic understanding of what's going on and won't think your tv is bad.
Isn't a good light meter cost a lot of money?
I've seen there are light meter apps for smartphones, do you think that could work?

And since I don't have a light meter and don't really know how to use it, would just calibrating my contrast, brightness, aspect, sharpness and color be enough?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salata5 View Post
Isn't a good light meter cost a lot of money?
I've seen there are light meter apps for smartphones, do you think that could work?

And since I don't have a light meter and don't really know how to use it, would just calibrating my contrast, brightness, aspect, sharpness and color be enough?
All of the information you could possibly want about properly calibrating a panel can be found in the Display Calibration Forum. I would suggest asking your questions there. As previously mentioned, you can ADJUST the basics using the AVS HD 709 disk without the use of a light meter. What's good enough is up to you and your expectations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page