Sharp Elite Pro 60", less than 60 hours...is it still a contender? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Sharp Elite Pro 60", less than 60 hours...is it still a contender?

In my hunt for a "budget" replacement for my 65" OLED I came across someone selling a 60" Sharp Elite Pro for $1700 (60 hours on it as it was being used in a guest room). For that much money it puts it in the same ballpark as a brand new Sammy 65" KS8000 or used JS8500 or a new 65" Vizio P series. I even have a 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma being offered to me for $1700ish (3000 hours).

4k and 3D are not important or needed. Black level AND near black detail are top priority, with screen uniformity being a close 2nd requirement. Upscaling of 720p and 1080i are third.

For $1700, is the Sharp Elite still with getting over my other possibilities?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
In my hunt for a "budget" replacement for my 65" OLED I came across someone selling a 60" Sharp Elite Pro for $1700 (60 hours on it as it was being used in a guest room). For that much money it puts it in the same ballpark as a brand new Sammy 65" KS8000 or used JS8500 or a new 65" Vizio P series. I even have a 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma being offered to me for $1700ish (3000 hours).

4k and 3D are not important or needed. Black level AND near black detail are top priority, with screen uniformity being a close 2nd requirement. Upscaling of 720p and 1080i are third.

For $1700, is the Sharp Elite still with getting over my other possibilities? As far as the other

I have the 70 and 60 inch Sharp Elite. If LED is your thing then this full array backlit display is IMO the best one that has ever been produced.
If it really only 60 hours on it would be worth it. For picture quality it wins over the Samsung and Vizio. As far as comparing it to the Panasonic plasma, the plasma will have better viewing angles. I also have a handful of Pioneer plasmas to include a PRO-111 & PRO-151 and I couldn't come right out and say the black levels on those are any better than the Sharp Elite. The plasma to me has what I would call a more organic look picture wise but with that said I feel I don't loose much if anything by watching a movie on the Sharp Elite. Like you my concern is not 3d or 4k so as far as I am concerned I have the best plasma's ever made and the best LED ever made. If I had to chose from the displays you mentioned it would be the Sharp Elite 1st because of the picture quality and low hours over the Panasonic 65 VT60 larger display. Ask the seller to show you it only has 60 hours on the display 1st though.

Ive got some stuff
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post
I have the 70 and 60 inch Sharp Elite. If LED is your thing then this full array backlit display is IMO the best one that has ever been produced.
If it really only 60 hours on it would be worth it. For picture quality it wins over the Samsung and Vizio. As far as comparing it to the Panasonic plasma, the plasma will have better viewing angles. I also have a handful of Pioneer plasmas to include a PRO-111 & PRO-151 and I couldn't come right out and say the black levels on those are any better than the Sharp Elite. The plasma to me has what I would call a more organic look picture wise but with that said I feel I don't loose much if anything by watching a movie on the Sharp Elite. Like you my concern is not 3d or 4k so as far as I am concerned I have the best plasma's ever made and the best LED ever made. If I had to chose from the displays you mentioned it would be the Sharp Elite 1st because of the picture quality and low hours over the Panasonic 65 VT60 larger display. Ask the seller to show you it only has 60 hours on the display 1st though.
Awesome response. Thank you.

How is the uniformity on the Sharp Elite? Is it a typical LCD "panel lottery" situation in terms of getting minimal to no DSE?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Awesome response. Thank you.

How is the uniformity on the Sharp Elite? Is it a typical LCD "panel lottery" situation in terms of getting minimal to no DSE?

That's a good question. I had another 60 inch Elite display in my house for a short time. I brought it back because I had
found a 70 inch Elite. At that time they had stopped producing them so I jumped on the 70 inch Elite. So I have only had 3 of the displays and I didn't see any issues. Now with that said I am sure there are people that have had issues. There is an official thread for these displays and I am sure you could still get some people to chime in on their thoughts on this question.

I have even read recently that some people have picked the last years Sony 940 C over the Elite. But that is not one of the choices you had mentioned. I wanted to also mention that 65 VT60 that's one of your choices is no slouch. You could be real happy with that one as well. Like I had mentioned if that 60 Sharp Elite only has 60 hours on it I would pick that one over Panasonic. Also consider is your display going to be in a room with lots of natural light? The Panasonic will do ok, but the Elite will perform better in that area.

By any chance do you have the build date for the Elite? 2011 or 2012? They only produced these panels in those 2 years.

Ive got some stuff
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a good question. I had another 60 inch Elite display in my house for a short time. I brought it back because I had
found a 70 inch Elite. At that time they had stopped producing them so I jumped on the 70 inch Elite. So I have only had 3 of the displays and I didn't see any issues. Now with that said I am sure there are people that have had issues. There is an official thread for these displays and I am sure you could still get some people to chime in on their thoughts on this question.

I have even read recently that some people have picked the last years Sony 940 C over the Elite. But that is not one of the choices you had mentioned. I wanted to also mention that 65 VT60 that's one of your choices is no slouch. You could be real happy with that one as well. Like I had mentioned if that 60 Sharp Elite only has 60 hours on it I would pick that one over Panasonic. Also consider is your display going to be in a room with lots of natural light? The Panasonic will do ok, but the Elite will perform better in that area.

By any chance do you have the build date for the Elite? 2011 or 2012? They only produced these panels in those 2 years.
The room has two windows, one facing North and one facing East with the TV on the West wall so the early morning hours do have some direct sunlight. However, I can also control the light and make the room pitch black whenever I need to, so sunlight isn't a primary concern.

I used to have a Pioneer plasma in this same room years ago and than a Panny ST50 two years ago until I jumped to OLED. I can say I do miss the "natural" feel of the plasma but I don't miss the heat (room is on the small side so long duration watching does warm up the room) and weight/bulk but will take the trade offs for picture quality.

I do not have the build date. Seller is slow to respond. Trying to work out shipping right now. Depending on the box dimensions it might just fit under FedEx Ground size guidelines.

As it stands, I have the 65VT60 seller willing to do a trade: he sends me the VT60 and $1200 cash and I send him my EF9500. The Sharp Elite would be me paying $1700 plus shipping and than off loading my EF9500 on Amazon/eBay/here so in both instances I should end up with the same amount in my pocket at the end of the day. So, unless another option pops up or a seller backs out, it's literally a choice between a 65" Panny or a 60" Sharp Elite for the same price and profit.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounds like shipping is involved for both the Elite and the Panasonic. That's tough because you are not able to see these
in person before purchasing. I'm not sure if its a money issue or you just want something different. But if it wasn't about needing the
cash I would just keep what I had, not saying your 9500 is better or worse than your other choices, its just risky shipping these if they
are not shipped correctly. Could be more of a headache than what its worth. But if shipping had to be done I would go with the lighter 60 Elite.
Is their original boxes for these displays including the 9500 you have? I don't mean to get you off your path on this but I have to say again there is
big time risk not only with the displays being shipped to you but you also shipping your display. Insurance claims can be easy and at times they
are not so easy to do with damage.

Ive got some stuff
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like shipping is involved for both the Elite and the Panasonic. That's tough because you are not able to see these
in person before purchasing. I'm not sure if its a money issue or you just want something different. But if it wasn't about needing the
cash I would just keep what I had, not saying your 9500 is better or worse than your other choices, its just risky shipping these if they
are not shipped correctly. Could be more of a headache than what its worth. But if shipping had to be done I would go with the lighter 60 Elite.
Is their original boxes for these displays including the 9500 you have? I don't mean to get you off your path on this but I have to say again there is
big time risk not only with the displays being shipped to you but you also shipping your display. Insurance claims can be easy and at times they
are not so easy to do with damage.
It's for money. Have to relocate suddenly for a new job and need some moving expense cash. I'm basically downgrading my high end HT setup and getting "respectable replacements" to suit my needs for the next 1-2 years while I do this job and finish my Masters. Then when I get settled permanently I will build up a dedicated room again (4k, HDR, see how OLED has advanced, or maybe projection, etc).

All TV's involved have the original boxes. I've always had good luck with FedEx for shipping (shipped my EC9300 when I get the EF9500 and it went smooth) but I know the plasma is a different story due to weight and having a glass screen. In that case the seller said he'd use a freight service (he's paying for shipping).
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In that case I would go with the 65VT 60 since you only have to deal with one person. He has what you want and you have what he wants.
Shipping with a crate or pallet with a shipping company is the option you want with the plasma and if the seller is paying that cost, that's great.
With either the Elite or the Panasonic you should be happy. Both have excellent picture. As long as You feel you can have some form of trust with this
seller and a plan B ( legal) if something should go wrong. Go for the easiest transaction, and that seems to be the Panasonic. It would totally defeat
your purpose if you got the Elite but then couldn't sell your 9500 in time for the move.

I hope this has helped a bit.

Ive got some stuff
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In that case I would go with the 65VT 60 since you only have to deal with one person. He has what you want and you have what he wants.
Shipping with a crate or pallet with a shipping company is the option you want with the plasma and if the seller is paying that cost, that's great.
With either the Elite or the Panasonic you should be happy. Both have excellent picture. As long as You feel you can have some form of trust with this
seller and a plan B ( legal) if something should go wrong. Go for the easiest transaction, and that seems to be the Panasonic. It would totally defeat
your purpose if you got the Elite but then couldn't sell your 9500 in time for the move.

I hope this has helped a bit.
It has, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page