Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 10290 Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Member
 
superlubricity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you baniels and killnine. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.
baniels and vulsker like this.
superlubricity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 10290 Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Newbie
 
sands99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it normal to have sight waves in the screen where it attaches to the frame? It almost appears as if the frame is slightly indented every 6 or so inches across the top of the screen when it is turned off. It does not appear to impact the picture when the TV is turned on. I had a plasma before which was perfectly flat. I have the m70.
sands99 is offline  
post #33 of 10290 Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Like the top of the screen creates a bit of a fun house mirror effect when it's off? I have the same thing. Not noticeable when viewing content. I haven't checked to see if it goes away when not mounted to the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands99 View Post
Is it normal to have sight waves in the screen where it attaches to the frame? It almost appears as if the frame is slightly indented every 6 or so inches across the top of the screen when it is turned off. It does not appear to impact the picture when the TV is turned on. I had a plasma before which was perfectly flat. I have the m70.
baniels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Eyes to screen is about 11.5 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisboy2 View Post
Nice pics! Just curious, what is your seating distance?
baniels is offline  
post #35 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 AM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands99 View Post
Is it normal to have sight waves in the screen where it attaches to the frame? It almost appears as if the frame is slightly indented every 6 or so inches across the top of the screen when it is turned off. It does not appear to impact the picture when the TV is turned on. I had a plasma before which was perfectly flat. I have the m70.
That's because plasmas used actual glass. I do miss that perfectly flat look, but it's really nothing to worry about.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is online now  
post #36 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
vulsker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsada1979 View Post
So I received my M-70D3 today . Best Buy guys unloaded setup and left . No dark spots , uniformity looked great on a white screen . No defects to screen ( bubbles or ripples ) . Next it was time to setup and pair . Took some time finally paired tablet remote and first off watched some 1080i footage via AT&T Uverse . HBOHD looked good . Nothing that made me say "WoW" but I wasn't expecting it too . Looked Average . Colors seemed Bland and maybe that was because I'm coming from A Samsung where the colors are so darn bright and over done so I decided to let my eyes adjust through the day . I used the 2016 P settings and pic improved ALLOT. The speakers sound great , at 40 I didn't have a hard time hearing anything and that's also because I had a 5 year old and a 8 year old playing in the background . Now it was time to stream some 4K content ...
Nightmare ! This casting crap sucks , the remote sucks , the tablet blows ... What was Vizio thinking ? I'm totally turned off ... that as much as I hate to do this ... It's going back to Best Buy for sure . It took me a few hours to get things to cast properly and when they did it wasn't 4K , it's almost as if it had to lower the resolution due to my internet . And guess what ...speed test had my upload at 5mbs and download at 30mbs so speed isn't an issue in my home . If the screen really wowed me I may be able to see past this crappy interface but to me it's Avg. This will be going back and quite honestly since the only other 2016 70' is The Samsung KU6300 I have no choice . I know theres other great options at these price points but for the sake of my wife's Media Hutch she will only accept a 70'.( as much as I explained quality over quantity... I will never win with her ) Also the tablet would lose signal every 5 min ... Horrible . And if you have kids this may not work . Think about it , how many times have your children or even yourself dropped a remote? The thought of dropping and cracking this thing can become expensive .
So to sum it up :
This 4K set offers a pretty average picture , not bad at all .. Offers decent sounding speakers and a great size with a horrible interface and the worst remotes I personally ever have experienced. I'm so let down after weeks of anticipation .

Well appreciate the time you took in providing the above details and the pictures.

__________________________________________________

Vizio P65-F1 - Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One X - Playstation 4 Pro
vulsker is offline  
post #37 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Who cares about the tablet. Use your phone or whatever else you can use to cast. If you have never "casted" anything before there is a learning curve and some patience is needed but its easy after a while. Did you search 4K youtube videos and then cast? Do you have 4K netflix? Not sure how long BB return period is but i'd play around with some picture settings and truly make sure you are watching some 4K source.
Bootnylee likes this.
wmarkw is offline  
post #38 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Who cares about the tablet. Use your phone or whatever else you can use to cast. If you have never "casted" anything before there is a learning curve and some patience is needed but its easy after a while. Did you search 4K youtube videos and then cast? Do you have 4K netflix? Not sure how long BB return period is but i'd play around with some picture settings and truly make sure you are watching some 4K source.
Trust me I'm not literally running to Best Buy tonight im still trying to justify keeping this . But yes I used my phone and that casted way better than the tablet for sure . But even at that the 4K YouTube content I was casting didn't look 4K . Basically the Google casting app is superior to the Vizio app . But now here's the problem ... You now have your phone for casting and the tablet for settings and the little basic remote for volume ... Accessing content , menus , volume ... The basics .. They shouldn't be that difficult . I think to a majority of users this will be overkill . This is just my opinion I'm sure there's allot of users that don't mind jumping through hoops just to do the basics .
sheshechic likes this.
alsada1979 is offline  
post #39 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I find it funny how many people dislike casting, it is literally the reason i purchased the vizio. I had a samsung tv from 2016 and returned it because it was such a poor experience in comparison to chromecast functionality.

1. You know 100% if a 4k show is playing and if its getting dolby digital or dolby vision.
2. Its faster to load.
3. Typing is WAYYY easier.
4. Browsing titles are easier to read on a phone than on a screen, especially descriptions or reviews.
5. Its just cleaner. I love the screen that sits there when you arent casting with the pretty pics changing every so often, time is nice to have there too.

People just arent used to chromecast and they call it "bad", shame really because its superior in nearly every way to having smart interface on a TV (some people complain about no track scrubbing, but ive never had an issue moving the little bar on netflix to where i want to go). I think LG's smart interface would be a much better experience with the remote that acts like a mouse pointer for people who want the on screen interfaces.

But i will agree the picture is just "ok", this TV is not worth a thousand dollars (55" that is).
b_rad4 and sheshechic like this.

Last edited by Fascinate; 06-25-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Fascinate is offline  
post #40 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Try this. Install the Vizio Cast app on your phone. Put the tablet in a drawer or find another use for it. With smartphones in everyone's hand, the included tablet is 100% unnecessary. A nice bonus though.

Use the Netflix/Youtube/Whatever apps on your phone to cast to the tv. Use the Vizio Cast app when you want to adjust settings. Your choice as to whether you use the basic remote or the app to power on/change inputs, etc, or use a universal remote for that if you have one already.

I have had a Chromecast in my signal chain since it first came out. I love the technology. My experience so far using the tv as a Cast-to destination has been no different than my original Chromecast. Actually there's a bonus because I now have a pause function on a remote (basic remote function programmed to a Harmony), so for a quick pause I needn't open my phone anymore.

I briefly looked at the Cast App's browsing and searching functions, but it's trying to be too much I think. Just forget that altogether.

@wmarkw makes a good point regarding Netflix. You need to upgrade to the 4K plan if you haven't yet.

In the app go to System->System Information to see the resolution of whatever content is currently playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsada1979 View Post
Trust me I'm not literally running to Best Buy tonight im still trying to justify keeping this . But yes I used my phone and that casted way better than the tablet for sure . But even at that the 4K YouTube content I was casting didn't look 4K . Basically the Google casting app is superior to the Vizio app . But now here's the problem ... You now have your phone for casting and the tablet for settings and the little basic remote for volume ... Accessing content , menus , volume ... The basics .. They shouldn't be that difficult . I think to a majority of users this will be overkill . This is just my opinion I'm sure there's allot of users that don't mind jumping through hoops just to do the basics .
Bootnylee likes this.
baniels is offline  
post #41 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Very good point i could see frustrations if people are using the "smart cast" app other than changing settings. Use dedicated apps, thats the way to do it.
sheshechic likes this.
Fascinate is offline  
post #42 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Why would it be playing on 480p , Netflix Daredevil ?

By the way your advice made it easier to cast ... But not getting anything higher than 480
alsada1979 is offline  
post #43 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_rad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsada1979 View Post
Why would it be playing on 480p , Netflix Daredevil ?

By the way your advice made it easier to cast ... But not getting anything higher than 480


Log into Netflix go to playback settings on your computer and make sure the setting is set to high quality

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
b_rad4 is offline  
post #44 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsada1979 View Post
Why would it be playing on 480p , Netflix Daredevil ?

By the way your advice made it easier to cast ... But not getting anything higher than 480


Log into Netflix go to playback settings on your computer and make sure the setting is set to high quality
Did that and still 480 even logged in and out ,
alsada1979 is offline  
post #45 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Are you giving it some time to build up to 4K? It usually takes between a few seconds and maybe 30 seconds to work up to higher resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsada1979 View Post
Why would it be playing on 480p , Netflix Daredevil ?

By the way your advice made it easier to cast ... But not getting anything higher than 480
baniels is offline  
post #46 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
MozartMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Motown/HockeyTown
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought M70-D3 at Costco today. It has two USB ports, one USB-3 and one USB-2. I plugged my USB flash drive with some movies and nothing happens.
My M50-C1 can play videos from USB flash drive.
What is the purpose of USB ports on M70-D3?
MozartMan is offline  
post #47 of 10290 Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post
I bought M70-D3 at Costco today. It has two USB ports, one USB-3 and one USB-2. I plugged my USB flash drive with some movies and nothing happens.
My M50-C1 can play videos from USB flash drive.
What is the purpose of USB ports on M70-D3?
How much did you pay for it at Costco?
Hocplyr12 is offline  
post #48 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 02:21 AM
Member
 
shanedlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quick thoughts on my M70-D3

So it finally is here! Been waiting months now to finally get my hands on a new M70. It arrived yesterday and I was able to spend some time today setting it up and getting acquainted.

I don't have a whole lot to compare it to other than what I've been exposed to in the store as this is the first 'big' TV purchase I've had in almost a decade. Picture looks incredible to me. Obviously it is largely dependent upon the content you play on it of course. I found that the 'Moving Art' videos on Netflix in 4k, in particular, are a great way to showcase the power of the high resolution and akin to the WOW effect you'd have browsing new TVs displaying reference demos in the store. If you are at all feeling underwhelmed with the picture quality, just load one of those up and you'll be pretty pumped on it.

I also played a bit of Marco Polo and The Do-Over to test out the HDR capabilities, but alas, I really don't have anything to compare this against HDR-wise. I guess it looks ok? I didn't really see any mind-blowing stuff here to be honest, but it could very much be the content that is underwhelming -- I'm going to guess that, at the very least, I probably shouldn't look to a crappy Adam Sandler flick to push the boundaries of HDR tech. I suspect if I plunk down some $$$ for something like Mad Max I'll see what I'm supposed to see here.

Blacks on the TV are super black, things look nice and bright when they need to, and overall it's a really slick looking picture. You'll need to play around with the picture settings, of which there are a lot of, so I'm really looking forward to seeing some calibration settings show up on here because I'm a bit overwhelmed to be honest!

Have not noticed any light bleeding, weird spots, or any of that stuff people on these forums harp over. Everything just looks great. Picture does start to look worse if you view from an angle, but it's still pretty solid and on par with what you'd see with other sets in the price range.

Now for the streaming tech. The reliance on Chromecast and lack of any real interface is going to be very, very polarzing I'm sure. As someone that has had a handful of 'smart' TVs only to see them quickly turn 'dumb' with next to nothing in the way of firmware updates that result in dated looking interfaces that are unsupported, unresponsive and clunky, I think Vizio was very smart to go this route. For those older sets, I eventually had to pick up a secondary streaming source like a Fire Stick, Roku, Apple TV, etc. There are any number of cheap streaming devices on the market (a little more for 4k, but still not bad), so if you really really need a built-in interface, just pick up whichever one you like best.

The Chromecast connectivity on this makes it so you are never going to feel like you're stuck with dated 'smart' tech. As long as your phone can get updates, you'll be good to go. The fact that they even through in a nice looking tablet if you don't want to use your phone (you literally can do all of it on your phone), is pretty amazing and I'm sure primarily meant for those who just don't have a smartphone.

It's going to take a while for some people to embrace this method, but surely it's the direction we're headed in across the board as it's incredibly efficient and future proof. But seriously, if you really hate it, just pick up a dedicated OTT streaming platform -- this should not be a reason of any sort to return the set with so many alternatives out there.

Sorry for my amateur hour-ish review, but I promised to share my thoughts once I could!!!
joe221, VBB, wmarkw and 4 others like this.
shanedlm is offline  
post #49 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 AM
Member
 
volblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
10-bit

Can anyone confirm if the panel on the 2016 M series is a "true" 10-bit panel?
volblood is offline  
post #50 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
MozartMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Motown/HockeyTown
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocplyr12 View Post
How much did you pay for it at Costco?
$1,949.99 plus tax. They just got two units yesterday.
MozartMan is offline  
post #51 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Member
 
fun4stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
I find it funny how many people dislike casting, it is literally the reason i purchased the vizio. I had a samsung tv from 2016 and returned it because it was such a poor experience in comparison to chromecast functionality.

1. You know 100% if a 4k show is playing and if its getting dolby digital or dolby vision.
2. Its faster to load.
3. Typing is WAYYY easier.
4. Browsing titles are easier to read on a phone than on a screen, especially descriptions or reviews.
5. Its just cleaner. I love the screen that sits there when you arent casting with the pretty pics changing every so often, time is nice to have there too.

People just arent used to chromecast and they call it "bad", shame really because its superior in nearly every way to having smart interface on a TV (some people complain about no track scrubbing, but ive never had an issue moving the little bar on netflix to where i want to go). I think LG's smart interface would be a much better experience with the remote that acts like a mouse pointer for people who want the on screen interfaces.

But i will agree the picture is just "ok", this TV is not worth a thousand dollars (55" that is).
100% agree. I am interested in this TV for the cast feature.... But I've been using HTPCs for 10 years now... And also have been using chromecast and Roku's since they came out. I can see it taking a bit for some people to get used to- especially for non-tech people or older people like my parents age. There's no way my parents would like the tablet based remote. It's like in the 70s and 80s when tv remotes started to become more common place.... They were confusing to my grandparents at first (100 button remotes for tv, receiver, vcr, etc).

As for not getting true 4K content- are you using wifi or Ethernet connection? If using wifi, how strong of wifi signal is the tv getting? Is your wifi 802.11ac or N? I had to relocate my AC router to a more central rotation and ended up just running an Ethernet cable from my router to my main HTPC.

Last edited by fun4stuff; 06-26-2016 at 07:13 AM.
fun4stuff is offline  
post #52 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Ok I went to Best Buy last night and grabbed a M70; they honored the Vizio 5% coupon as well. I wanted to hold off for a thorough rtings review to see their thoughts and if they would say skip it and stick with the P. Well I couldn't wait; I picked up a 2015 M50 last month from Walmart in their crazy close out deals and I'm very impressed with that set so I'm hoping the 2016 version would do the same. I'm happy to say YES. WOW is an understatement. I havent plugged in mpgxsvcd settings yet but just messed around with the Calibrated and turned down the brightness. I didnt even set up the tablet and left it in the box. I used the vizio app on my iphone 6s to go through the initial set up process. Really simple. I started off with some youtube 4k vids and yup it pops no doubt. Went to netflix and i selected the adam sandler flick and the Dolby Vision tag popped up and I watched the first few minutes and I can see the benefits of that tech; its very life like; almost fake looking but man it looked sooo good. Watched some 4K Longmire and the picture was truly stunning. I then went to direct tv and put on the MLB channel and the pic looked very nice. Upscale works perfect in my eyes.

I'm going to play with it some more today and put it through some tests to see if i can spot anything wrong with it. I have my Directv going to HDMI 2 and my bluray in HDMI4. That sound ok? My next step is to upgrade my Denon 1610 to a 4K avr and I'm leaning towards last year's denon's the 910 or x1200 but in the mean time I'm going to run a digi coax out. Also need to re-program my harmony 650. Good stuff. I'll try and post some pics later today. thanks.

Oh and I do hate Best Buy. The guy balked at first about using the vizio coup so i told him to go ask a manager. He sulked away and he came back like yeah i guess we can. lol. Also it was still 102 degrees here at 7pm; hot as balls and the guy who pulled my tv to front said there was no way it would fit in my CX-5. I said well lets try it. So he said pull the car to the front and i wheel the set around. So i do it and i glance at the box and see the Google Cast writing and was like cool right one and so after a few mins we were able to get the tv in the car and propped up; sweating are buts off. Shook his hand and said thanks then shut the door and glanced at the box and it said E series. I was like WTF; and said dude you grabbed the wrong one. He had to verify and then said shoot and went and got the right one. I should have fully checked before we loaded but whatever. The new M is slightly larger than the E series 70 box fwiw but we got it to fit. Never easy.
VBB, mpgxsvcd, baniels and 3 others like this.

Last edited by wmarkw; 06-26-2016 at 07:28 AM.
wmarkw is offline  
post #53 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by volblood View Post
Can anyone confirm if the panel on the 2016 M series is a "true" 10-bit panel?
There is no way to test that accurately. We would have to rely on Vizio for that information. Matt confirmed that the 2016 P-series does 10-bit input, processing, and output, making it a true 10-bit panel. I don't think anyone even knows what panel manufacturers they use for the 2016 M-series. I would think AUO for the odd sizes, and perhaps still Sharp for the even ones.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is online now  
post #54 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Member
 
lairpost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
There is no way to test that accurately. We would have to rely on Vizio for that information. Matt confirmed that the 2016 P-series does 10-bit input, processing, and output, making it a true 10-bit panel. I don't think anyone even knows what panel manufacturers they use for the 2016 M-series. I would think AUO for the odd sizes, and perhaps still Sharp for the even ones.
From Matt via Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/with_replies

https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/740944943187795968

"Panel is 10bit, driver ICs are 8bit+dither, processing is minimum 10bit (much of pipeline is way above 10bit)"

"the biggest difference is wide color gamut and a bit more brightness on p series"

"Full HDR10 support for M Series is targeted for August"

I just picked up a M70-D3 from Costco this morning. Nice image. ARC not working (probably 25 ft cable) but I have no 4K anyway except for Youtube. Will decide over the next month or so to keep M70 or swap for P65 once Costco USA gets them (presuming they will).
VBB and mpgxsvcd like this.
lairpost is offline  
post #55 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 03:59 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairpost View Post
From Matt via Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/with_replies

https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/740944943187795968

"Panel is 10bit, driver ICs are 8bit+dither, processing is minimum 10bit (much of pipeline is way above 10bit)"

"the biggest difference is wide color gamut and a bit more brightness on p series"

"Full HDR10 support for M Series is targeted for August"

I just picked up a M70-D3 from Costco this morning. Nice image. ARC not working (probably 25 ft cable) but I have no 4K anyway except for Youtube. Will decide over the next month or so to keep M70 or swap for P65 once Costco USA gets them (presuming they will).
This makes me wonder if the P panels aren't entirely 10-bit either.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is online now  
post #56 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_rad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
This makes me wonder if the P panels aren't entirely 10-bit either.


No the P series is full 10 Bit
mpgxsvcd likes this.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
b_rad4 is offline  
post #57 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
No the P series is full 10 Bit
I understand that's what Matt said, and far be it from me to not trust him on that, but I guess my point is, we'll never know for sure. That's why I highlighted the parts of Matt's quote where he explains the biggest differences between the M and the P. To me, the difference between 8-bit + dither and true 10-bit would have been worth mentioning.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is online now  
post #58 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The blooming issues people are complaining about are not making any sense. The entire purpose of an IPS display is so that when viewing the tv at any given angle the picture looks normal/perfect.

Last year Vizio used VA panels and this year have upgraded to all IPS panels on their M series.

Could it in fact be the issue where the larger tv size panels are made by sharp & the smaller sized panels are made by AOU? Is there any way to confirm this?
thegreywizard is offline  
post #59 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also do the new 2016 M series have USB 3.0 in the back that could be used to power things like a firestick?
thegreywizard is offline  
post #60 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_rad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreywizard View Post
The blooming issues people are complaining about are not making any sense. The entire purpose of an IPS display is so that when viewing the tv at any given angle the picture looks normal/perfect.

Last year Vizio used VA panels and this year have upgraded to all IPS panels on their M series.

Could it in fact be the issue where the larger tv size panels are made by sharp & the smaller sized panels are made by AOU? Is there any way to confirm this?


That's not true. Only the 60" is an IPS panel.
EJSLP likes this.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
b_rad4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off