Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #6931 of 10269 Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
Wow, the 2017 M series has half the dimming zones and only 60Hz, I don't care if it has a true WCG, that's pushing the bare minimum number to worth having FALD. And with only fake 120 motion is no good either although if the processor is upgraded it could be ok if Judder is truly eliminated through the settings. Obviously they are now trying to push the P series more after initially struggling with supply at first. It sounds like the upgrades on the P series of a better WCG, and brightness addresses it only real weaknesses.
We'll see after the reviews come in. Is the 2017 M a color space hybrid - not as good as the P - but better than the 2016? My bet is that it will be a plain old REC 709 panel with an 8 bit processor - just like 2016 but not as good. Most consumers won't care, but we'll be happy campers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 10269 Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, after about 9 mos with a 2015 M-Series M55-C1, I had my TV replaced by Vizio with a new 2016 M-Series M55-D0.

Still getting used to things, but one thing I've noticed immediately is that the audio to my soundbar often cuts out (half a dozen times or more per hour show). It's connected via optical, and I had no such issues on my 2015 TV. Searched the forum and saw some similar comments in December of this year - but I couldn't find a solution.

Is this still an issue for those who were having it before. Has the beta firmware helped anyone? Any solutions?
post #6933 of 10269 Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
No problem here with that,but suspect a bad ethernet jack on mine. Nothing can ever be perfect can it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 10269 Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
We'll see after the reviews come in. Is the 2017 M a color space hybrid - not as good as the P - but better than the 2016? My bet is that it will be a plain old REC 709 panel with an 8 bit processor - just like 2016 but not as good. Most consumers won't care, but we'll be happy campers!
Are you kidding? The M is gonna be a good upgrade. 600nits capable display like the P and WCG like the P. The 120hz panel only really matter for PC gamers. The Zones are lower but I'm sure it will perform very well still.
The Coolest likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6935 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

I added a lot of extra material to most of the sections - including additional info and lots more images and illustrations. I also added 2 brand new sections to it and made a few changes and improvements to some of the previous material.

I also took this opportunity to correct a few small mistakes that were bothering me and do a bit of reformatting. (Hey, I happen to be a perfectionist, with perhaps a little bit of OCD thrown-in for good measure. In fact, you will notice that a lot of my posts on the Forum often have a "Last edited by" footnote at the bottom of them - many of those "edits" are often only to correct a small spelling mistake or something stupid like that. )

Additionally, I decided to take the advice of my friend @mrtickleuk and change the print size of my "Notes" (except for the very first one), which were too small and hard for some to read (they looked fine in the browser I was using, but viewing them in a different browser I noticed they were indeed quite small). I instead used a different "Font" to make them stand out.

I am planning to start working on "Part 2" of my article hopefully this coming weekend (which will be the 2nd Post of my Color Volume Thread that I currently have marked as "Reserved!"). I plan to have it finished sometime next week if all goes well.

So stay tuned!

P.S. I apologize for the long post. Sorry!

[Click the LINK below to go to the article.]

>What is Color Volume?<

Thank you for reading!

Richard
post #6936 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok so I decided to buy a new receiver in hopes of my issues being resolved. I bought this receiver
https://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=46506028

Hopefully this gets me HDR to all my compatible devices and fixes my missing signal when I change inputs. If I can leave the TV on HDMI 1 and use the receiver to change devices, I am hoping the TV will no longer lose the signal forcing me to turn the TV off and on again.

Vizio - M70-D3 (2016)
Vizio - M70-C3 (2015)
Samsung - 55" KS8500
post #6937 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
Ok so I decided to buy a new receiver in hopes of my issues being resolved. I bought this receiver
https://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=46506028

Hopefully this gets me HDR to all my compatible devices and fixes my missing signal when I change inputs. If I can leave the TV on HDMI 1 and use the receiver to change devices, I am hoping the TV will no longer lose the signal forcing me to turn the TV off and on again.
Should work. I'd go spend some time over in that Yamaha forum and read up on your new AVR.
Lethal_NFS likes this.
post #6938 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Are you kidding? The M is gonna be a good upgrade. 600nits capable display like the P and WCG like the P. The 120hz panel only really matter for PC gamers. The Zones are lower but I'm sure it will perform very well still.
All speculation until we get some official reviews. We're all guessing at this point. Seems to be some good trade off though with the higher nits and some form of a WCG. Regardless a lot of good info going around and I'm learning a lot from you (stalking the P forum) and others on here about the guts of these displays.

It always sucks to have a "last" year model and potentially see the new one improve upon the previous release. In hind sight I should have opted for the P65 last summer but I have been one of the lucky few who has not had an issue with my M70 since I bought it last June. It's been a great display for what I watch and has opened my eyes to what HDR can do. I just bought my first UHD HDR disc Planet Earth II and wow it looks incredible on my display through the XB1S. But I'll probably never buy another disc. I'm hoping more HDR content will continue to be pushed down our throats through Netflix, Amazon, HULU; etc. and that'll be good enough for me. And who knows maybe in a couple years redbox will carry UHD media. However I think I'm going to start saving up for the 2018 P75 which will trump all
danbfree and sonoftumble like this.
post #6939 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
On the display, make sure color space is on auto, use vivid mode and use Computer color on 2.2 gamma. Make sure brightness isn't too high, should be 45-51. Color sometimes needs to be as high as 60. Use rec 2020 color at 4:2:2 chroma on the Shield. Let me know if that helps.

Edit: after trying RGB, you have to bring brightness down to 30, otherwise on auto, you can use 45-51, but also the options in Shield to adjust to different color range and bit is gone, only showing rec 709 8-bit with no option to change.
@CrazeFatman

If you want to watch HDR content (not play HDR games) on this display, I'd suggest you avoid doing everything suggested above.
Color defaults to 58 in HDR10 mode, you can safely push it up to 60-62, other than that, my recommendation is to keep it at Calibrated Dark or Calibrated. If you need more brightness lower gamma to 2.0 or 1.8, leave backlight, brightness and contrast at 50. If you switch to RGB on the Shield, you can simply turn on the RGB color space in the Picture menu.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #6940 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Quote:
On the display, make sure color space is on auto, use vivid mode and use Computer color on 2.2 gamma. Make sure brightness isn't too high, should be 45-51. Color sometimes needs to be as high as 60. Use rec 2020 color at 4:2:2 chroma on the Shield. Let me know if that helps.

Edit: after trying RGB, you have to bring brightness down to 30, otherwise on auto, you can use 45-51, but also the options in Shield to adjust to different color range and bit is gone, only showing rec 709 8-bit with no option to change.
@CrazeFatman

If you want to watch HDR content (not play HDR games) on this display, I'd suggest you avoid doing everything suggested above.
Color defaults to 58 in HDR10 mode, you can safely push it up to 60-62, other than that, my recommendation is to keep it at Calibrated Dark or Calibrated. If you need more brightness lower gamma to 2.0 or 1.8, leave backlight, brightness and contrast at 50. If you switch to RGB on the Shield, you can simply turn on the RGB color space in the Picture menu.
I wad on the wrong HDMI port but otherwise I was trying to get him to see if he could make it "pop". He especially needs to make sure he's not in RGB mode on the display settings unless he also matched in the Shield. But ya, I've had much better results with Vivid for any 4k content and with the Shield obviously outputting everything in 4k it works well. I don't think he was going for a professional calibration and with our display having marginal brightness and proven to produce better brightness in Vivid, it was a merely a starting point to see if got rid of the washout.

Last edited by danbfree; 04-26-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #6941 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
Has anyone else seen an issue with baseball games where you see block pixelation on the grass only? Especially when viewed at low angle like when watching batter from behind the pitcher. No other shows have this. It is on multiple channels on Comcast. All 720p. Same with 720p football games. Closeups of the grass looks fine, its just when viewed from far away. Maybe its an upscaling issue? Grass on commercials on the same channel looks fine.
OMG, just noticed this last night during the Tigers game. It was pretty annoying and I've never noticed this effect before. I have Uverse, which is 1080p. I messed around with the settings on my M70, but couldn't get it to go away. At times, it was not quite as noticeable, but sometimes if was VERY noticeable, like the grass was liquid green lava oozing all over the place.
post #6942 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is anyone still having issues with HDR and the Xbox One on the newest firmware? I think my display might be defective.
post #6943 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharperweb797 View Post
So, after about 9 mos with a 2015 M-Series M55-C1, I had my TV replaced by Vizio with a new 2016 M-Series M55-D0.

Still getting used to things, but one thing I've noticed immediately is that the audio to my soundbar often cuts out (half a dozen times or more per hour show). It's connected via optical, and I had no such issues on my 2015 TV. Searched the forum and saw some similar comments in December of this year - but I couldn't find a solution.

Is this still an issue for those who were having it before. Has the beta firmware helped anyone? Any solutions?
No soundbar here, but first thing I would try is a different optical cable. I also once had an issue where I thought the cable was securely attached to both devices, but it turns out it was only halfway in on the TV end and I had to push it in with far more force than I expected to get it to really latch. Are you on firmware 3.0.13.5?

Quote:
I thought 120hz was beneficial for 24p content because you could do 5:5 instead of 3:2 pulldown, reducing judder.
brianl999 and EliFTW like this.
post #6944 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone know if the new remote is compatible with a harmony hub yet?
post #6945 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well . . . I guess I spoke too soon. I was basing my opinion on CNET's first pass in which they said "improved light output and color for 2017, which might help improve HDR performance." There was ( and still is ) no mention of WCG in that article. So, at face value, based on that article, the 2017 M looked like less for more.

Having just finished reading the official Vizio press release, I'm now getting a better "picture" - literally and figuratively. I still have some qualms regarding dimming zone count. I don't game, so I don't care about the 60Hz panel. But I have to say that if local dimming zone count was no big deal, the P series would have fewer zones. More nits would be nice for HDR content, but doesn't do much for SDR.

Obviously, to maintain certain price points, the cost trade-offs for adding WCG to the M series is that you get fewer dimming zones and a slower panel.

Here's my dilemma. I have a little less than two weeks to return ( 90 days ) my M70-D3 to Costco. At that point, I could order the M70-E3 direct from Vizio and eat the difference. I don't expect to see any deals on the 2017's for months. Is it worth it?
shoman94 likes this.
post #6946 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodah97 View Post
If you have the hub you don't need the original remote. I'm sure someone will enter in the new commands once the 2017 models become widely available.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #6947 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
I thought 120hz was beneficial for 24p content because you could do 5:5 instead of 3:2 pulldown, reducing judder.
The 2016 M series can only properly handle 24P @ 24Hz input. 24P @ 60Hz still produces pull down.
The 60Hz panels simply switch to 48Hz internally for 24P @ 24Hz.

Quote:
From what I gather the codes are the same as their old remotes. Codes for 2014 P or 2015 M series will most likely work just fine.

post #6948 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
The 2016 M series can only properly handle 24P @ 24Hz input. 24P @ 60Hz still produces pull down.
The 60Hz panels simply switch to 48Hz internally for 24P @ 24Hz.
I thought the Film Mode setting (I forget what it's called and don't have the TV in front of me) enabled reverse pulldown of 24p content scaled to 60p? What does that setting do then?

I was unaware that the 60hz panels could do 48hz refresh. I'm surprised Vizio doesn't market that feature more heavily.
post #6949 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
If you have the hub you don't need the original remote. I'm sure someone will enter in the new commands once the 2017 models become widely available.
Currently, the "Internet apps" command triggers the Casting "input". On pre-SmartCast TV's, that command brought up the old app interface. My guess is that the new app interface will also be triggered by the same command. The Casting input will loose the screensaver and get added functionality to run apps, and also accept casting stream routing instructions from the mobile SmartCast app or any content source ( i.e. Netflix ) that supports casting. At that point, the transport commands; ( i.e. play, pause, ff, rew, etc. ), and navigation commands ( cursor up, down,etc. ) should be the same commands as are/have been used on older pre-cast models.

In short, I think you will be able to use the Harmony system just as you did before the arrival of the casting TV's.
post #6950 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Quote:
Well . . . I guess I spoke too soon. I was basing my opinion on CNET's first pass in which they said "improved light output and color for 2017, which might help improve HDR performance." There was ( and still is ) no mention of WCG in that article. So, at face value, based on that article, the 2017 M looked like less for more.

Having just finished reading the official Vizio press release, I'm now getting a better "picture" - literally and figuratively. I still have some qualms regarding dimming zone count. I don't game, so I don't care about the 60Hz panel. But I have to say that if local dimming zone count was no big deal, the P series would have fewer zones. More nits would be nice for HDR content, but doesn't do much for SDR.

Obviously, to maintain certain price points, the cost trade-offs for adding WCG to the M series is that you get fewer dimming zones and a slower panel.

Here's my dilemma. I have a little less than two weeks to return ( 90 days ) my M70-D3 to Costco. At that point, I could order the M70-E3 direct from Vizio and eat the difference. I don't expect to see any deals on the 2017's for months. Is it worth it?
I have the M-50 so I'm used to having 32 dimming zones and 60hz. I think it looks pretty dang great but then again I don't know what I'm missing out on with the 64 zones.
post #6951 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM

How are you guys getting the new remotes exactly? I've been in the beta program for a while and haven't received anything from Vizio. Did you have to go somewhere and fill out a form or something? Went out and bought a cheap universal remote and I can use it to access the on screen menu which is nice, but the "info" button doesn't work. It would be great to have an official remote.
post #6952 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
I have the M-50 so I'm used to having 32 dimming zones and 60hz. I think it looks pretty dang great but then again I don't know what I'm missing out on with the 64 zones.
32 Zones on a 70" = bigger sized zones = more blooming potential. My 2014 M702i-B3 had 36 zones, and it really did make a difference with blacks - especially letterbox. There was some blooming issues in dark scenes with objects such as a lit candle. My 2016 M70 with 64 zones has alleviated that issue to some degree. The bloom around the flame is much tighter/smaller and less noticeable. More zones = smaller zones = better PQ. This would also apply to HDR content. With Dolby Vision, each zone's brightness is independently manipulated. The more zones, the more granular that manipulation can be. The "P" series has 128 zones. The Sony Z9 has over 500. Finally, with OLED each pixel is like a zone - so there are millions.

That stuff is not within my budget, but these are the best pictures out there. What Vizio has done with their implementation of FALD is actually pretty amazing with excellent PQ.
wmarkw likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 04-26-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: I had a typo and said 68 zone instead of 64
post #6953 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 2016 M series has 64 zones, not 68. (not that it's that big of a difference really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
I thought the Film Mode setting (I forget what it's called and don't have the TV in front of me) enabled reverse pulldown of 24p content scaled to 60p? What does that setting do then?

I was unaware that the 60hz panels could do 48hz refresh. I'm surprised Vizio doesn't market that feature more heavily.
The 2015 M series TVs with 120Hz panels is capable of figuring out all sorts of 24P material, although my M55-C2 which has a 60Hz panel can't at all.
The 2016 M series is capable of playing 24P @ 24Hz without judder, but @60Hz it can't. Rtings review confirms it. But I don't know how the 60Hz 2016 M series behaves, though.

Last edited by The Coolest; 04-26-2017 at 03:33 PM.
post #6954 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
How are you guys getting the new remotes exactly? I've been in the beta program for a while and haven't received anything from Vizio. Did you have to go somewhere and fill out a form or something? Went out and bought a cheap universal remote and I can use it to access the on screen menu which is nice, but the "info" button doesn't work. It would be great to have an official remote.

You need to email [email protected] and ask for one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EliFTW likes this.
post #6955 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you but I have a M65 from Costco. Like you, 60hz isn't a big deal to me but the reduction in zones is worrying. I just don't know if the implementation of WCG will be worth the loss in zones. Ah, first world problems!!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #6956 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens73 View Post

Make sure you send them your serial number (which needs to be registered as part of the beta program), otherwise you'll get a response from them asking for it. I got mine within 3 days of sending them my serial #.
jstephens73 likes this.
post #6957 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliFTW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens73 View Post

Make sure you send them your serial number (which needs to be registered as part of the beta program), otherwise you'll get a response from them asking for it. I got mine within 3 days of sending them my serial #.
Thank you both!
EliFTW likes this.
post #6958 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I wad on the wrong HDMI port but otherwise I was trying to get him to see if he could make it "pop". He especially needs to make sure he's not in RGB mode on the display settings unless he also matched in the Shield. But ya, I've had much better results with Vivid for any 4k content and with the Shield obviously outputting everything in 4k it works well. I don't think he was going for a professional calibration and with our display having marginal brightness and proven to produce better brightness in Vivid, it was a merely a starting point to see if got rid of the washout.

Thank you for the help! Simply switching to Vivid mode made the washout go away. I've tried all option on Color Space on the display in order to select the color space on the Shield, but I can't do anything to change it from Rec. 709 on the Shield. I do have the brightness and backlight at 30.

As of right now, I have it on auto and things do "pop" and look a lot better than before. Before it was if I was looking at the tv at a wide angle where everything was washed/greyed out. However, I still do not get a Yes in HDR from the Display Information.

You said this was a stating point, what I do next?
post #6959 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Our 2016 display already hits pretty close to 500 nits and I wonder how much better the WCG gamut will be, we'll have to see but half the dimming zones is a MAJOR downgrade, I finally got one because the jump to 64, and only 60Hz panel can be a huge blow, but if they have 3:2 pull down in hardware or at least well implemented in software with a decent processor then that won't hurt much, but is very important with almost everything still 24p native and some of us can't stand Judder... Can't wait for the reviews!
post #6960 of 10269 Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharperweb797 View Post

Is your soundbar only 2.1? If so the fix all along is to simply force PCM audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page