Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #6961 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
No more 80" M Series?

There is no 80" model listed for the new Vizio 2017 M series, but the 2016 80" is still available. What's the likelihood there will be a 2017 80" M series, once the supply of 2016's is exhausted? Or do you think the E series will be the only 80" model?

https://www.vizio.com/compare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@crazefatman, regarding Nvidia Shield, in order to unlock more colorspace options, make sure you go into vizio cast app and to inputs, then unlock color sampling on port hdmi 1, this will unlock all sorts of colorspace options if u have the nvidia shield in hdmi port 1..... after getting assisted by sonoftumble regarding what colorspace would be accurate in indicated this is a rec709 display, that and is 8bit at best, that being said nvidia shield is awesome for all sorts of options... my setting on Nvidia is currently 4:2:0 10bit rec709, it given me great color accuracy, (my reds had a rasberry hue with rec 2020 using everyones calibrations, from the coolest to shoman, finally ending up with sonoftumble settings in prev post, one thing i wish is if there was anyway to provide an all around "decent" color temp setting calibration for either COOL or Computer ...reason is that Normal setting is great for that warm look which is great for Cinema view, and has great tones.. but watching some reg channels there is sometimes that yellow tint that at times is not too normal, anywho i appreciate all the awesome feed back from this forum, 2017 M series, not sure what to say, I know it is what it is.. but all i keep reading is "Software Upgrade" I wonder if Vizio would ever be able to provide WCG via firmware (wishful thinking).. also 32 vs 64 zones, i do feel that the m series is a worthy t.v. that with all the small issues that should get fixed, it may hold its own with the 2017 model, unless 600nit thing is really true
danbfree likes this.
post #6963 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
There is no 80" model listed for the new Vizio 2017 M series, but the 2016 80" is still available. What's the likelihood there will be a 2017 80" M series, once the supply of 2016's is exhausted? Or do you think the E series will be the only 80" model?

https://www.vizio.com/compare
We were unable to find an 80" panel that could support ultra color spectrum as launched on new M Series. We continue to look for high quality glass above 75"...
danbfree and EliFTW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6964 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
We were unable to find an 80" panel that could support ultra color spectrum as launched on new M Series. We continue to look for high quality glass above 75"...
Thanks ... bummer
post #6965 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeFatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
I wad on the wrong HDMI port but otherwise I was trying to get him to see if he could make it "pop". He especially needs to make sure he's not in RGB mode on the display settings unless he also matched in the Shield. But ya, I've had much better results with Vivid for any 4k content and with the Shield obviously outputting everything in 4k it works well. I don't think he was going for a professional calibration and with our display having marginal brightness and proven to produce better brightness in Vivid, it was a merely a starting point to see if got rid of the washout.

Thank you for the help! Simply switching to Vivid mode made the washout go away. I've tried all option on Color Space on the display in order to select the color space on the Shield, but I can't do anything to change it from Rec. 709 on the Shield. I do have the brightness and backlight at 30.

As of right now, I have it on auto and things do "pop" and look a lot better than before. Before it was if I was looking at the tv at a wide angle where everything was washed/greyed out. However, I still do not get a Yes in HDR from the Display Information.

You said this was a stating point, what I do next?
Ok, if you can't change color space on Shield then you aren't in HDMI 1, and that's ok if you don't want to switch to HDMI 1,just drop to 23.94Hz, fine for video, just not great for games and smooth menu navigation. Anyway, I use Computer color at 2.1 gamut on Shield, but settings can vary wildly from every app and even different titles on same streaming service. Start with Vivid mode defaults for the number settings, adjust to taste but be sure to turn off Black level and other noise reduction completely. At a 59.94Hz connection, reduce Judder controls smoothness, at 23.94, the other setting does, usually 1-3 smoothes everything without too much soap opera effect. All that talk earlier about any problems smooth 24p playback is all resolved by going at least 1 on both of those settings.

Last edited by danbfree; 04-26-2017 at 10:01 PM.
post #6966 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Is your soundbar only 2.1? If so the fix all along is to simply force PCM audio.
Yes, my sound bar is only 2.1. Vizio support recommended forcing PCM. So far, seems to have solved the issue. If you have a moment and know, what exactly does forcing PCM do that fixed the issue (and what are the drawbacks)? Thanks!
post #6967 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharperweb797 View Post
Yes, my sound bar is only 2.1. Vizio support recommended forcing PCM. So far, seems to have solved the issue. If you have a moment and know, what exactly does forcing PCM do that fixed the issue (and what are the drawbacks)? Thanks!
Only drawback is that it's only stereo, not surround sound, I'm guessing that it solves the problem because maybe by default the optical cable is designed to push 5.1 and doesn't autodetect when there is only 2.0/2.1 connected. By setting PCM, it's literally just forcing stereo mode, which all a regular soundbar supports.
post #6968 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer.

I am considering purchasing a Logitech Harmony Hub to use with a Vizio M65-D0. The Hub will not have an IR line-of-sight to the TV. Can the Hub control the TV via Wi-Fi/IP? Or will it only work via IR?
post #6969 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofsvn View Post
OMG, just noticed this last night during the Tigers game. It was pretty annoying and I've never noticed this effect before. I have Uverse, which is 1080p. I messed around with the settings on my M70, but couldn't get it to go away. At times, it was not quite as noticeable, but sometimes if was VERY noticeable, like the grass was liquid green lava oozing all over the place.
Try adjusting the gamma? Color level down a bit? I've been able to dial in Xfinity 1080p well without these issues, they could be using a better scaling processor from the native 720p/1080i source material from the networks.
post #6970 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Matt, I'm assuming you guys use AUO Optronics for VA model panels and LG for IPS? Did AUO only upgrade their process for better color gamut and brightness up to 75" and with the 2 trade offs of less zones and only 60Hz necessary to meet your price point, or was their strategy to help differentiate the P series to encourage more of us enthusiasts up to the P series?

Thanks for all of your help and transparency!
post #6971 of 10270 Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolor78 View Post
@crazefatman, regarding Nvidia Shield, in order to unlock more colorspace options, make sure you go into vizio cast app and to inputs, then unlock color sampling on port hdmi 1, this will unlock all sorts of colorspace options if u have the nvidia shield in hdmi port 1..... after getting assisted by sonoftumble regarding what colorspace would be accurate in indicated this is a rec709 display, that and is 8bit at best, that being said nvidia shield is awesome for all sorts of options... my setting on Nvidia is currently 4:2:0 10bit rec709, it given me great color accuracy, (my reds had a rasberry hue with rec 2020 using everyones calibrations, from the coolest to shoman, finally ending up with sonoftumble settings in prev post, one thing i wish is if there was anyway to provide an all around "decent" color temp setting calibration for either COOL or Computer ...reason is that Normal setting is great for that warm look which is great for Cinema view, and has great tones.. but watching some reg channels there is sometimes that yellow tint that at times is not too normal, anywho i appreciate all the awesome feed back from this forum, 2017 M series, not sure what to say, I know it is what it is.. but all i keep reading is "Software Upgrade" I wonder if Vizio would ever be able to provide WCG via firmware (wishful thinking).. also 32 vs 64 zones, i do feel that the m series is a worthy t.v. that with all the small issues that should get fixed, it may hold its own with the 2017 model, unless 600nit thing is really true
WCG is definitely determined by the panel hardware unless Vizio intentionally crippled it in software to promote more sales of P series, but that would be a tin foil hat theory... lol

Try using Tint of -3 to help with color tone, just for the heck of it.. one professional review used that and it works great for me... I know I'd rather have the 64 zones and 120Hz over the WCG and the higher nits, for me personally anyway, that's the trade-off I prefer until I upgrade to a P-series.

I use Computer for just about everything now, but will use the warmer end, from 2.1-2.4... Think of Cool 1.8 to 2.4 in order as 1 through 5, on a scale of 1-15 from coolest to warmest pic. Then next on the scale would be Computer 1.8 after Cool 2.4 it would be setting 6 out of 15, then Normal 1.8 would be 11, up to the warmest setting of Normal 2.4, which would be 15 out of 15 on the warm scale.

I max my Shield out at 4:2:2 12-bit Rec 2020, for the heck of it though obviously there is zero mastered content in that range. 10-bit, 4:2:0 and Rec 2020 is what the max of any actual HDR content right now would use, so if someone wanted to know the one setting for most stable HDMI connection and max out the displays potential that would be it.
post #6972 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Good Calibration Disc suggestions anyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6973 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelasker View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer.

I am considering purchasing a Logitech Harmony Hub to use with a Vizio M65-D0. The Hub will not have an IR line-of-sight to the TV. Can the Hub control the TV via Wi-Fi/IP? Or will it only work via IR?
I use the Harmony with my Sony the hub is in a closed cabinet with my AV gear. Have the IR blaster from the Harmony outside the cabinet, everything works with no issues.
post #6974 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1951 View Post
Quote:
I use the Harmony with my Sony the hub is in a closed cabinet with my AV gear. Have the IR blaster from the Harmony outside the cabinet, everything works with no issues.
I understand that the Harmony Hub can control the TV via IR. I am trying to figure out if it can control the TV using Wi-Fi without a IR blaster.

I know that the Vizio TV can be controlled by Wi-Fi since the included Android tablet does it, and I know the Hub can control some devices by Wi-Fi. What I am trying to figure out is if the Vizio Wi-Fi integration is supported by the Harmony Hub.

Thanks for the help!
post #6975 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@davelasker
It can't.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #6976 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Matt, I'm assuming you guys use AUO Optronics for VA model panels and LG for IPS? Did AUO only upgrade their process for better color gamut and brightness up to 75" and with the 2 trade offs of less zones and only 60Hz necessary to meet your price point, or was their strategy to help differentiate the P series to encourage more of us enthusiasts up to the P series?

Thanks for all of your help and transparency!
I can't go into too much detail about our glass sources... but we buy glass from at least 7 different manufacturers.
danbfree and The Coolest like this.
post #6977 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Will everyone eventually be receiving the new remotes, even if not in the beta program? I have not been able to get into the beta program so just curious if I should expect a remote in the mail at some point in the future.
post #6978 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
For your brightness problem I would go under the System info in the app, then display and there should be a "Service Reset" option. That will just reboot the panel, you won't lose any settings... speaking of which you may just have a combination of settings too high, yes, one of them could be backlight, but try making sure all 3 of Backlight, Brightness and contrast are all at 50 and slowly move Backlight up from there if you need to. Depending on the source I typically use 35-80 Backlight, 45-50 brightness, and 50-70 contrast.

As far as HDMI, using a receiver is great and a smart way to go, I'd just have it go to HDMI 1 as it's actually the only one that is full 2.0a capable for full color support etc. And don't worry there is no chance of damage at all, the receiver is doing all the work with the display using whatever one signal it gets from the receiver.
Thanks for the answers! I will be sure to try your suggestions, and glad to know I am not doing any damage to my device.
danbfree likes this.
post #6979 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My receiver came today and it did fix my issue with the TV not wanting to find the signal when changing inputs. Now I can go from my PS4 to my XB1, and to the Switch without losing the signal. I also have better 5.1 now that I ditched that optical cable.

Vizio - M70-D3 (2016)
Vizio - M70-C3 (2015)
Samsung - 55" KS8500
post #6980 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So the latest M series software and xbox one software has completely fixed any HDR issues I was having. However, recently I've had it hooked up to my computer and I've experienced a couple blackouts while watching something on VLC. Its 2160 resolution but no HDR. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #6981 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2 View Post
Will everyone eventually be receiving the new remotes, even if not in the beta program? I have not been able to get into the beta program so just curious if I should expect a remote in the mail at some point in the future.
I would not expect it at all, good news is once the firmware goes wide release then you can use a universal or but your own updated vizio remote... Honestly after getting used to the tablet and how it takes up little room on the screen during settings adjustments, I barely use the remote for that. As a side note, the latest beta firmware does not have the built in Cast menus yet either, that the '17 models will ship with but they will eventually have it fit the '16 models too and THEN would be a good time to go with another remote.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
post #6982 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is it possible to get beta approval on a replacement set?

My first set was in the program but had to be replaced due to an issue with HDR and FALD, as well as excessive clouding. New set has worked flawlessly and the clouding present in the beginning has all but completely disappeared.

I emailed my replacement serial last week, but just curious if it's a "one per person" participation or if they have stopped accepting new participants. I'm hoping he's just a busy man.
post #6983 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2 View Post
Amazon's got all kinds of Vizio remotes for < $10 with Prime. Any of the SmartTV remotes will do the trick. I know because that's what I'm using on my beta FW TV. I happened to have a couple of Vizio's in the bedrooms. One is a Smarty.
danbfree likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 04-27-2017 at 07:00 PM.
post #6984 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand that the Harmony Hub can control the TV via IR. I am trying to figure out if it can control the TV using Wi-Fi without a IR blaster.

I know that the Vizio TV can be controlled by Wi-Fi since the included Android tablet does it, and I know the Hub can control some devices by Wi-Fi. What I am trying to figure out is if the Vizio Wi-Fi integration is supported by the Harmony Hub.

Thanks for the help!
I asked Matt if there is a TCP or UDP control code list available. I have not heard back. Since the app can control the TV, I know that the codes exist. Not sure if Vizio is willing to publish them. IR works fine however.
post #6985 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NEW and IMPROVED - M70-D3 FW 3.2.8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
Good Calibration Disc suggestions anyone
Disney WOW and / or Spears & Munsil

NOTES: This is an entirely new workflow approach. Thanks to @thecool est and @shoman94 for their suggestions and expertise. Part of learning how to calibrate is knowing what settings to change depending on which calibration page you are working in during the process. There were times in the past where I was changing settings before they should be changed. It made the calibration process a bit of an ordeal as some things looked great and others - not so great. With my newfound knowledge, I finally got great color balance, a decent saturation sweep result and the color matching is excellent; which = color accuracy. Flesh tones are really great now. PQ is the bomb!

As part of the new workflow, I left ALZ ( Active LED Zones ) on through the entire process except for setting peak brightness ( backlight ). This approach took longer to do because I had to wait for the zones to respond and the settings numbers on the top of the screen to disappear; but the results are much better. Also, I used a 10% window with the pattern generator.

One thing you will notice is that color is upped to 56, brightness to 58, and contrast is lowered to 41. There is a combination of factors that went into the "why" I chose those settings; including the fact that the colors were all undersaturated at the 50 setting with the saturation sweep test. So I went back and turned up the color a bit and went from there. One of the benefits is that I didn't have to force things in the color tuner to get better color balance, luminance, saturation. I made relatively small adjustments in the color tuner. The 11 point settings are also pretty mellow except for 10% and 20% and taming things in the 60% to 70% range. Because of all that, these settings should look a least very good on most sets even accounting for variances.

CalMan screenshots attached. The color checker looks awesome. I'm really happy about that because in the past I hated that chart!

M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 58
Contrast: 41
Color: 56
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 2, G: -13, B: 2, C: 2, M: -2, Y: 5
Sat: R: -9, G: -5, B: -6, C: -2, M: -6, Y: 0
Brt: R: 0, G: 2, B: 8, C: -6, M: 8, Y: -2
Ofs: R: -1, G: 0, B: 3
Gain: R: 0, G: 9, B: -13

11 Point:
5%: No change - zeros
10%: R: -22, G: -22, B: -22
20%: R: -16, G: -10, B: -12
30%: R: -10, G: -7, B: -5
40%: R: -6, G: -7, B: -8
50%: R: -7, G: -4, B: -10
60%: R: -17, G: -13, B: -23
70%: R: -4, G: -12, B: -22
80%: R: -1, G: 0, B: 3
90%: R: 0, G: 0, B: -6
100%: R: 2, G: 0, B: 4
wmarkw likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 02-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
post #6986 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@sonoftumble

The color checker and saturations do look fine, but I'm not sure why would you drop contrast and up brightness so much. You pretty much killed the dynamic range of your display.
shoman94 likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #6987 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sonoftumble, something definitely seems off between our two sets at least. When I switch the brightness and contrast to 58/41, it turns the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to medium grey and completely washes out the image. Would it affect your color settings if I kept brightness and contrast at 50/50? On my tv any deviation from 50/50 just destroys the PQ.

Thanks for taking the time!
post #6988 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@sonoftumble

The color checker and saturations do look fine, but I'm not sure why would you drop contrast and up brightness so much. You pretty much killed the dynamic range of your display.
I know it is a little odd. The two patterns I use for checking white and black levels looked best with those settings. Maybe I should have had ALZ off when I set those? With ALZ off, they normally look best with the default settings; i.e. 50 brightness and 50 contrast. Backlight setting too high? I can run it again with ALZ off. Any suggestions are welcome.
post #6989 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Sonoftumble, something definitely seems off between our two sets at least. When I switch the brightness and contrast to 58/41, it turns the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to medium grey and completely washes out the image. Would it affect your color settings if I kept brightness and contrast at 50/50? On my tv any deviation from 50/50 just destroys the PQ.

Thanks for taking the time!
OOOOPS! Set the Color Space to Auto or YYCbCr. I had it listed as RGB in the settings list which was from a previous aborted calibration. My BAD! Should be an instant improvement, and your blacks will be inky again. Also, you can change those without much impact on color. They are really just black level ( brightness ) and white level ( contrast ) adjustments.

I've made the edit in that post.
wmarkw and danbfree like this.
post #6990 of 10270 Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post
Is it possible to get beta approval on a replacement set?

My first set was in the program but had to be replaced due to an issue with HDR and FALD, as well as excessive clouding. New set has worked flawlessly and the clouding present in the beginning has all but completely disappeared.

I emailed my replacement serial last week, but just curious if it's a "one per person" participation or if they have stopped accepting new participants. I'm hoping he's just a busy man.
Have you tried emailing it to the email address that was for the free remote? I think that one is for the Beta program, might help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page