Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #7051 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
I don't have that app where you described. When I navigate to that location, all that is there is "google play services" and "google play store."
This is factory reset state... It was there before I installed anything.
It's running Android 5.1.1. I read that some are getting upgraded to 6.. maybe they removed it from that version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@secondhand1
Vizio displays are already set pretty much spot on for Brightness and Contrast. Changing those values will only make things worse in the majority of cases.
Cool. I figured that was the answer as I've been pilfering settings off the internet for close to a decade and have never heard that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #7053 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxcon View Post
This is factory reset state... It was there before I installed anything.
It's running Android 5.1.1. I read that some are getting upgraded to 6.. maybe they removed it from that version
Not present on 6.0.1. Likely a non issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7054 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post
Not present on 6.0.1. Likely a non issue.

It's there, you have to dig a little deeper. From the Apps with usage access screen, select the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Show system. The Mat app is there and it was ON on my tablet.

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #7055 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
It's there, you have to dig a little deeper. From the Apps with usage access screen, select the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Show system. The Mat app is there and it was ON on my tablet.
And so it is!

Still a non issue. It's a memory analyzer and can be disabled.

post #7056 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
And so it is!

Still a non issue. It's a memory analyzer and can be disabled.
And you are saying that based on what published facts?
post #7057 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would use Google and do a search for the published facts on what a memory analyzer is and what it does/cannot do.
post #7058 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
And you are saying that based on what published facts?
First of all, this isn't a forum for wild conspiracies and Big Vizio. Take that **** somewhere else. If you're concerned about your privacy based on a tool that is easily researched, it's been noted and you can take action that makes you comfortable.

post #7059 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
First of all, this isn't a forum for wild conspiracies and Big Vizio. Take that **** somewhere else. If you're concerned about your privacy based on a tool that is easily researched, it's been noted and you can take action that makes you comfortable.
Luckily you are not a moderator of this forum, so you are not in a position to tell me what to do. 2nd, there are no wild conspiracies. I simply asked a question. If you have an answer, do provide it.
If you do not care about this potentially privacy invading app then feel free to ignore this and move on with your life.
But next time you post, think twice about the tone of your post.
post #7060 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Luckily you are not a moderator of this forum, so you are not in a position to tell me what to do. 2nd, there are no wild conspiracies. I simply asked a question. If you have a question, do provide it.
If you do not care about this, then feel free to ignore this and move on with your life.
No, I'm not. But when you repost an accusatory post with zero basis that, "didn't get much traction", it raises a flag. Your question has been answered, and you're free to gather more information on your own. So let's just leave it civilly.

post #7061 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not. But when you repost an accusatory post with zero basis that, "didn't get much traction", it raises a flag. Your question has been answered, and you're free to gather more information on your own. So let's just leave it civilly.

My basis is Android security permissions which an unknown app requires. An app that's impossible to uninstall. An app that does not exist on any of my other Android devices.
post #7062 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
My guess is that your TV's serial # is now on the beta test list! I never heard back from Matt either, and have been on 3.2.8.3 for about 2 weeks. Another possibility is that they may have started pushing out the "release" rev. to a small sample group to see if it breaks anything - before the mass push to everyone.

Did you PM Matt? I've seen several requests in the postings, and I don't know if that's working; or is he only picking up the requests he gets through the messaging system?

Just curious.
I just noticed that I too have the new firmware. I'm not on the beta list so it they must be rolling it out. I dont see the on screen menus, do you only get them with the new remote?

M70-D3
M55 (2013)
M40 (2013)
E701i-A3 (2013)
post #7063 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
I just noticed that I too have the new firmware. I'm not on the beta list so it they must be rolling it out. I dont see the on screen menus, do you only get them with the new remote?
You just need a remote that can open the menu. Im guessing a universal remote should work my Vizio D remote also worked.
post #7064 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
3.2.8.3 Cal Rev 2 - M70-D3

@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree

I'm calling this one "3.2.8.3 Cal Rev 2", and as you will see - except for backlight, brightness, and contrast - the changes are relatively minor and restricted to certain 11 point and color tuner tweaks. By decreasing ambient light in my family room to a med-light dark level, I was able to lower the brightness and increase the contrast settings. They are still NOT 50/50, and I don't care what the experts say. The picture I'm getting now is awesome.

With ALZ off, setting the brightness and contrast to 50/50 works fine, but with ALZ on, those settings needed to be adjusted in order for the test patterns to display all the blocks of grays and whites as they are supposed to look. For example, with ALZ on, the black level patterns 17b and 16d looked the same at 50 brightness; where you should see 17b but 16d should disappear into the background. I also think these settings will work for most people who do not have pitch black rooms - more real world.

Please note that the colorspace is set to "Auto", NOT "RGB". If you noticed a grayish letterbox with my previous settings that is most likely the cause - as I accidentally typed "RGB" in the colorspace setting. Also, make sure ALZ is on - or letterboxes will always be grey - as the backlight will always be on in its full array glory.

For the past three days, I have been viewing all kinds of content with these settings. I think these are the best I've done. I'm loving them, and I don't think I will need to do another SDR calibration for some time. Next up is HDR - but NOT TONGHT!

The color setting is not a typo. With the M series, the colors are undersaturated, so I turned up the basic color setting and then did the calibration. It's easier to turn things down a bit rather than crank them up in an attempt to get the color balance / accuracy right.

I hope you all enjoy these settings as much as I have.

M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3 rev 2

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 45
Color: 56
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( A.KA. Film Mode )
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 2, G: -8, B: -6, C: 2, M: -3, Y: 5
Sat: R: -15, G: -17, B: -5, C: -2, M: -9, Y: 6
Brt: R: -9, G: 8, B: -5, C: -8, M: 6, Y: -3
Ofs: R: -1, G: 0, B: 3
Gain: R: 4, G: 9, B: -15

11 Point:
5%: No change - zeros
10%: R: 14, G: 14, B: 14
20%: R: 10, G: 12, B: 10
30%: R: 14, G: 16, B: 14
40%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 5
50%: R: -2, G: -1, B: -5
60%: R: -6, G: -7, B: -7
70%: R: -4, G: -6, B: -12
80%: R: -1, G: 0, B: 3
90%: R: 0, G: 0, B: 1
100%: R: 2, G: 0, B: 19
wmarkw likes this.
post #7065 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Luckily you are not a moderator of this forum, so you are not in a position to tell me what to do. 2nd, there are no wild conspiracies. I simply asked a question. If you have an answer, do provide it.
If you do not care about this potentially privacy invading app then feel free to ignore this and move on with your life.
Quote:

Quote:
My basis is Android security permissions which an unknown app requires. An app that's impossible to uninstall. An app that does not exist on any of my other Android devices.
Personally, I'm happy that Vizio makes an iOS version of the SmartCast app.
post #7066 of 10270 Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree

I'm calling this one "3.2.8.3 Cal Rev 2", and as you will see - except for backlight, brightness, and contrast - the changes are relatively minor and restricted to certain 11 point and color tuner tweaks. By decreasing ambient light in my family room to a med-light dark level, I was able to lower the brightness and increase the contrast settings. They are still NOT 50/50, and I don't care what the experts say. The picture I'm getting now is awesome.

With ALZ off, setting the brightness and contrast to 50/50 works fine, but with ALZ on, those settings needed to be adjusted in order for the test patterns to display all the blocks of grays and whites as they are supposed to look. For example, with ALZ on, the black level patterns 17b and 16d looked the same at 50 brightness; where you should see 17b but 16d should disappear into the background. I also think these settings will work for most people who do not have pitch black rooms - more real world.

Please note that the colorspace is set to "Auto", NOT "RGB". If you noticed a grayish letterbox with my previous settings that is most likely the cause - as I accidentally typed "RGB" in the colorspace setting. Also, make sure ALZ is on - or letterboxes will always be grey - as the backlight will always be on in its full array glory.

For the past three days, I have been viewing all kinds of content with these settings. I think these are the best I've done. I'm loving them, and I don't think I will need to do another SDR calibration for some time. Next up is HDR - but NOT TONGHT!

The color setting is not a typo. With the M series, the colors are undersaturated, so I turned up the basic color setting and then did the calibration. It's easier to turn things down a bit rather than crank them up in an attempt to get the color balance / accuracy right.

M70-D3 Calibration

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:

Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )

Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.

Color Tuner:

11 Point:

I'll be glad to give these numbers a shot. I've been using the last ones you put up and I had to adjust my brightness and contrast setting to the same numbers for the test patterns to show properly. They have looked pretty good so far. Thanks again for taking the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wmarkw likes this.
post #7067 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree

M70-D3 Calibration

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:

Color Tuner:

11 Point:
I mentioned it before, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST.
Use near white and near black patterns, and you'll see that even with ALZ on 50\50 is still the best setting you can use.
shoman94 likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7068 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree

M70-D3 Calibration

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:

Color Tuner:

11 Point:
Great stuff! Going to take your suggestions and apply it to my display settings when I get home to see how the picture turns out!
post #7069 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Scelzi View Post
Great stuff! Going to take your suggestions and apply it to my display settings when I get home to see how the picture turns out!
Yeah, I'm in on this, too. I'm really frustrated about this bright corners thing going on. Since noticing it the other night, I can't un-see it.

post #7070 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree

M70-D3 Calibration

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:

Color Tuner:

11 Point:

Probably a stupid question, but should I apply these settings if I have a M65-D0? Will they work good across the M-series line-up, or do you recommend that they should be size specific?
post #7071 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just got the new beta and noticed an immediate improvement in both HDR and responsiveness of the remote app.

HOWEVER, with this new update I've also noticed it no longer powers on my receiver through ARC. Am I missing a new setting or is this a known glitch? It powers it off just fine when turning the display off, it just won't power it on.
post #7072 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post
Just got the new beta and noticed an immediate improvement in both HDR and responsiveness of the remote app.

HOWEVER, with this new update I've also noticed it no longer powers on my receiver through ARC. Am I missing a new setting or is this a known glitch? It powers it off just fine when turning the display off, it just won't power it on.
Try unplugging your receiver, TV, and HDMI cable, leaving everything off for a while, then plug everything back in and power it back up?
post #7073 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3.2.8.3 Rev 3 - 50/50 - B/C

@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree
@The Coolest
@Nicholas Scelzi
@viggs74 - The calibration was run on my M70-D3. However, they should apply generally to the M series. The only ? would be the M60 due to its IPS panel - I don't know the answer. There will be variances in panels, but your M65 should be a great fit.

I know I just posted new settings last night, but at the behest of The Coolest, ( who's opinion I value highly ), I went ahead and set Brightness to 50, and Contrast to 50, and re-ran the calibration to correct any errors the changes introduced. During that process, the 50/50 B/C settings caused red to not play nice with Color set to 56. So, I lowered Color slightly to 54, and red got in line fairly easily. I want to thank The Coolest for his insistence, as the picture is actually better and more dynamic. I forgot to take screenshots, but the Saturation Sweeps and Color Checker charts looked absolutely awesome, so this should give you very accurate colors and awesome flesh tones. Below please find the 3.2.8.3 Rev 3 settings. There are only minor changes to the color tuner and 11point ( besides the new color setting and B/C settings ). I think this will be it for SDR. Thank you for your time in trying this stuff out!! I love how much better my set looks with these settings vs. the factory PM's - especially for movies. Let me know if you agree. Next will be DV HDR - probably next week.

M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 43
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 54
Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. Film Mode pre-3.2.8.3 )

Color Tuner:
Hue: R: 0, G: -5, B: 0, C: 2, M: -5, Y: 8
Sat: R: -11, G: -9, B: -9, C: -3, M: -4, Y: -13
Brt: R: 5, G: 10, B: 8, C: -6, M: 15, Y: -4
Ofs: R: -3, G: -3, B: 1
Gain: R: 4, G: 9, B: -18

11 Point:
10%: R: 19, G: 19, B: 19
20%: R: 15, G: 15, B: 13
40%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 9
50%: R: -1, G: 1, B: 0
70%: R: -4, G: -6, B: -10
post #7074 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree
@The Coolest
@Nicholas Scelzi
@viggs74 - The calibration was run on my M70-D3. However, they should apply generally to the M series. The only ? would be the M60 due to its IPS panel - I don't know the answer. There will be variances in panels, but your M65 should be a great fit.

I know I just posted new settings last night, but at the behest of The Coolest, ( who's opinion I value highly ), I went ahead and set Brightness to 50, and Contrast to 50, and re-ran the calibration to correct any errors the changes introduced. During that process, the 50/50 B/C settings caused red to not play nice with Color set to 56. So, I lowered Color slightly to 54, and red got in line fairly easily. I want to thank The Coolest for his insistence, as the picture is actually better and more dynamic. I forgot to take screenshots, but the Saturation Sweeps and Color Checker charts looked absolutely awesome, so this should give you very accurate colors and awesome flesh tones. Below please find the 3.2.8.3 Rev 3 settings. There are only minor changes to the color tuner and 11point ( besides the new color setting and B/C settings ). I think this will be it for SDR. Thank you for your time in trying this stuff out!! I love how much better my set looks with these settings vs. the factory PM's - especially for movies. Let me know if you agree. Next will be DV HDR - probably next week.

M70-D3 Calibration

FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:

Backlight: 43

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 50

Color: 54

Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. Film Mode pre-3.2.8.3 )

Color Tuner:

Hue: R: 0, G: -5, B: 0, C: 2, M: -5, Y: 8

Sat: R: -11, G: -9, B: -9, C: -3, M: -4, Y: -13

Brt: R: 5, G: 10, B: 8, C: -6, M: 15, Y: -4

Ofs: R: -3, G: -3, B: 1

Gain: R: 4, G: 9, B: -18

11 Point:

10%: R: 19, G: 19, B: 19

20%: R: 15, G: 15, B: 13

40%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 9

50%: R: -1, G: 1, B: 0

70%: R: -4, G: -6, B: -10

Thanks for taking the time to puta second set of numbers up. I bet your waifu must think you love that equipment more than her as much time as you must spend doing this. At first glance the numbers look pretty good. I put them in after I did a factory reset and will sit with them for a few days. Question, does your auto colorspace setting default to YCbCr? My video source is a non pro ps4 and it defaults my auto setting to RGB. Everything on the end of ps4 is set to auto. Is RGB really only for 4k? Anyone else that may have an answer to these questions please chime in as well. Again thanks for the work that goes into getting this done and the other members here that help you out along the way thank you also.

post #7075 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
Question, does your auto colorspace setting default to YCbCr?
It seems to default to YCbCr, at least with the sources and content I look at most of the time. That would include crappy 1080i and 720p broadcast signals, AppleTV 1080P, Blu-ray 1080P, DirecTV 4K, and Netflix HDR. Not sure what triggers the RGB "mode". I read somewhere that DV triggers it, but if it does, it sure behaves differently than it does with an SDR signal. I'm probably not the best source for the answer to that question., so I'm passing the baton.
post #7076 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It seems to default to YCbCr, at least with the sources and content I look at most of the time. That would include crappy 1080i and 720p broadcast signals, AppleTV 1080P, Blu-ray 1080P, DirecTV 4K, and Netflix HDR. Not sure what triggers the RGB "mode". I read somewhere that DV triggers it, but if it does, it sure behaves differently than it does with an SDR signal. I'm probably not the best source for the answer to that question., so I'm passing the baton.

It may be because I have the hdr settings and deep color settings set to auto and its expecting to see one. Thanks

post #7077 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 01:21 PM

@sonoftumble

Still looks a tad too yellow to me. Thanks for your effort with all of this.

post #7078 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
@sonoftumble

Man, thank you for the dedication involved on calibrating this pain in the butt thing we have here... My very first thought is how is there any way a brightness setting higher than 51 doesn't instantly washing out? But I'll give it a go tonight, thanks!
post #7079 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I know that this was mentioned multiple times in this and the P series thread, but I'd like to chime in as well.
I just finished watching the first episode of Planet Earth II (4K HDR) and all I can say is Wow. It's really incredible, I would highly recommend anyone to watch it. And make sure that you sit as close to the display as you can
We may not get the full benefit of 1000 nit HDR on our displays, but for the majority of scenes, the colors and details look amazing. For owners of VA panels, there are a few volcano scenes, with FALD they will blow you away

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7080 of 10270 Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
@sonoftumble

Man, thank you for the dedication involved on calibrating this pain in the butt thing we have here... My very first thought is how is there any way a brightness setting higher than 51 doesn't instantly washing out? But I'll give it a go tonight, thanks!
The new settings include Brightness 50 and Contrast 50, so that should not be an issue. Make sure you are looking at the Rev 3 settings that I posted today, not the Rev 2 that I posted last night.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page