Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #7081 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
I know that this was mentioned multiple times in this and the P series thread, but I'd like to chime in as well.
I just finished watching the first episode of Planet Earth II (4K HDR) and all I can say is Wow. It's really incredible, I would highly recommend anyone to watch it. And make sure that you sit as close to the display as you can
We may not get the full benefit of 1000 nit HDR on our displays, but for the majority of scenes, the colors and details look amazing. For owners of VA panels, there are a few volcano scenes, with FALD they will blow you away
I watched it on DirecTV 4K ( Chan 104 ) and it looked spectacular. I can only imagine how much better it would be with HDR!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocirahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post
Just got the new beta and noticed an immediate improvement in both HDR and responsiveness of the remote app.

HOWEVER, with this new update I've also noticed it no longer powers on my receiver through ARC. Am I missing a new setting or is this a known glitch? It powers it off just fine when turning the display off, it just won't power it on.
Try unplugging your receiver, TV, and HDMI cable, leaving everything off for a while, then plug everything back in and power it back up?
Unfortunately, that did not work. Still turns it off once I manually power it on, but won't turn on with the display.
post #7083 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, that did not work. Still turns it off once I manually power it on, but won't turn on with the display.
Make sure that "Quick Start" is turned on. Did you do a factory reset? Sorry if I missed seeing that - if you already said so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why when I try to change the 11point white balance, it won't let me? I just get a notice on the TV that says:
"To display the test pattern connect a source to the input and try again"

I remember playing with the 11 point white balance before and never had that pop up before. The same message now pops up when I try to do calibration tests on the menu. Am I missing something?
post #7085 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Quote:
Make sure that "Quick Start" is turned on. Did you do a factory reset? Sorry if I missed seeing that - if you already said so.
Yes, factory reset after beta update.

As for the Quick Start setting, I've never had that enabled prior to the update and it powered my receiver in just fine with the Economy Setting (I have bias lighting that remains on if Quick Start is enabled, hence the reason I never used it).
post #7086 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggs74 View Post
Why when I try to change the 11point white balance, it won't let me? I just get a notice on the TV that says:

I remember playing with the 11 point white balance before and never had that pop up before. The same message now pops up when I try to do calibration tests on the menu. Am I missing something?
The consensus is that it is a bug related to FW 3.2.8.3. Play some 1080P or less content, and you will be able to make changes.
post #7087 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, factory reset after beta update.

As for the Quick Start setting, I've never had that enabled prior to the update and it powered my receiver in just fine with the Economy Setting (I have bias lighting that remains on if Quick Start is enabled, hence the reason I never used it).
Obviously something related to 3.2.8.3. Does it work with Quick Start on? Just curious.
post #7088 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggs74 View Post

You have to make sure that the source signal is 1080P, not just the content you're playing.
shoman94 likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7089 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
I know that this was mentioned multiple times in this and the P series thread, but I'd like to chime in as well.
I just finished watching the first episode of Planet Earth II (4K HDR) and all I can say is Wow. It's really incredible, I would highly recommend anyone to watch it. And make sure that you sit as close to the display as you can
We may not get the full benefit of 1000 nit HDR on our displays, but for the majority of scenes, the colors and details look amazing. For owners of VA panels, there are a few volcano scenes, with FALD they will blow you away

Totally agree. I bought Planet Earth II with some BB points I had. Looks amazing through the XB1s. We are through 3 episodes I think. Kids love the show too.
jedurocher likes this.
post #7090 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Got it. Worked. Thanks guys!!!
post #7091 of 10276 Old 05-01-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
@sonoftumble

Man, thank you for the dedication involved on calibrating this pain in the butt thing we have here... My very first thought is how is there any way a brightness setting higher than 51 doesn't instantly washing out? But I'll give it a go tonight, thanks!
The new settings include Brightness 50 and Contrast 50, so that should not be an issue. Make sure you are looking at the Rev 3 settings that I posted today, not the Rev 2 that I posted last night.
Thanks, got it... I'm tweaking it slightly for HDR content but the color settings seem great, I STILL like using tint at -3, along with your settings, maybe that's more common with the 65"?
post #7092 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
What are good connection speeds to cast uhd content from apps like vudu. What are the better apps to cast uhd with besides Netflix because sadly their content is limited.

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
post #7093 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
@secondhand1
@asolor78
@Jacksomkesoplenty
@wmarkw
@danbfree
@The Coolest
@Nicholas Scelzi
@viggs74 - The calibration was run on my M70-D3. However, they should apply generally to the M series. The only ? would be the M60 due to its IPS panel - I don't know the answer. There will be variances in panels, but your M65 should be a great fit.

I know I just posted new settings last night, but at the behest of The Coolest, ( who's opinion I value highly ), I went ahead and set Brightness to 50, and Contrast to 50, and re-ran the calibration to correct any errors the changes introduced. During that process, the 50/50 B/C settings caused red to not play nice with Color set to 56. So, I lowered Color slightly to 54, and red got in line fairly easily. I want to thank The Coolest for his insistence, as the picture is actually better and more dynamic. I forgot to take screenshots, but the Saturation Sweeps and Color Checker charts looked absolutely awesome, so this should give you very accurate colors and awesome flesh tones. Below please find the 3.2.8.3 Rev 3 settings. There are only minor changes to the color tuner and 11point ( besides the new color setting and B/C settings ). I think this will be it for SDR. Thank you for your time in trying this stuff out!! I love how much better my set looks with these settings vs. the factory PM's - especially for movies. Let me know if you agree. Next will be DV HDR - probably next week.

3.2.8.3 Rev 3 - 50/50 - B/C
M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 43
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 54
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. Film Mode pre-3.2.8.3 )
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 0, G: -5, B: 0, C: 2, M: -5, Y: 8
Sat: R: -11, G: -9, B: -9, C: -3, M: -4, Y: -13
Brt: R: 5, G: 10, B: 8, C: -6, M: 15, Y: -4
Ofs: R: -3, G: -3, B: 1
Gain: R: 4, G: 9, B: -18

11 Point:
5%: No change - zeros
10%: R: 19, G: 19, B: 19
20%: R: 15, G: 15, B: 13
30%: R: 14, G: 16, B: 14
40%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 9
50%: R: -1, G: 1, B: 0
60%: R: -6, G: -7, B: -7
70%: R: -4, G: -6, B: -10
80%: R: -1, G: 0, B: 3
90%: R: 0, G: 0, B: 1
100%: R: 2, G: 0, B: 19
I have the M65-D0 so hopefully this works great for me!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #7094 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
What are good connection speeds to cast uhd content from apps like vudu. What are the better apps to cast uhd with besides Netflix because sadly their content is limited.

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
Vudu is pretty much it, but I love watching Vudu UHD titles with DV. I believe they recommend 25 MBPS is the recommended speed, however I was streaming both Netflix and Vudu at my previous house with only 15MBPS.
post #7095 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So I know the M series doesn't technically have all the colors needed for full HDR, however last night I helped my girlfriend pick out an E series because it was super cheap and it at least had 4k. Once we streamed Star Trek Beyond which looked amazing on my set, it was underwhelming without the HDR. So I can honestly say that the HDR on the M makes a world of difference on the TV.
wmarkw and sonoftumble like this.
post #7096 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Scelzi View Post
Let me know how these settings look on your TV - good or bad. I'm getting some good feedback from others who have tried them, and hopefully you'll have similar results.
post #7097 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, got it... I'm tweaking it slightly for HDR content but the color settings seem great, I STILL like using tint at -3, along with your settings, maybe that's more common with the 65"?
I tried setting my tint to -3 just to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was too much, but I left it at -1, and will evaluate over the next couple of days. It seems to tone down the reds a bit. Of course I won't bother to put a meter on it as I know there will be errors. But what matters most is whether you are happy with the picture.
post #7098 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried setting my tint to -3 just to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was too much, but I left it at -1, and will evaluate over the next couple of days. It seems to tone down the reds a bit. Of course I won't bother to put a meter on it as I know there will be errors. But what matters most is whether you are happy with the picture.
You know, after I posted that I played with it more and I now use 0 and simply adjust gamma depending on the content, the color scale and 11 pt appears to be great, thank you! I'm not sure if it was you who said to dial in your settings and simply use gamma as the main adjustment for overall brightness, but with your settings that does the trick... I'm using your color scale and 11 pt. and from there I will use Vivid for for HDR content and gamma of 2.1 instead of 2.2 for most things, and even if it isn't 100% accurate it provides just the right amount of detail while being very close to a spot on calibration. Of course I do tweak backlight a bit, maybe 40-50 for cable, 50-60 for 4k/HDR. I also use a lot more sharpness, someone previously said up to 14 won't introduce aliasing artifacts and that seems to be the case, I'll use 14 for my pre-scaled 1080p cable and all the way up to 30 for low quality 720p while of course at 0 for actual 4k content.
post #7099 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know, after I posted that I played with it more and I now use 0 and simply adjust gamma depending on the content, the color scale and 11 pt appears to be great, thank you! I'm not sure if it was you who said to dial in your settings and simply use gamma as the main adjustment for overall brightness, but with your settings that does the trick... I'm using your color scale and 11 pt. and from there I will use Vivid for for HDR content and gamma of 2.1 instead of 2.2 for most things, and even if it isn't 100% accurate it provides just the right amount of detail while being very close to a spot on calibration. Of course I do tweak backlight a bit, maybe 40-50 for cable, 50-60 for 4k/HDR. I also use a lot more sharpness, someone previously said up to 14 won't introduce aliasing artifacts and that seems to be the case, I'll use 14 for my pre-scaled 1080p cable and all the way up to 30 for low quality 720p while of course at 0 for actual 4k content.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm really happy to hear that things are looking good on your set. They certainly look great on mine! It took a few runs with different approaches to find a fairly universal collection of settings that might work with more models and variant panels. I think I now have SDR nailed. Next up is DV HDR, which according to The Coolest is not that much of an ordeal. The pattern generator I have will allow me to load the Golden Reference file for the M70, which will trigger DV, and then I set colors from there. I don't think there are any 11 point adjustments because DV takes over that part.

Backlight and Gamma are good ways to mange room lighting compensation, and less disruptive with color accuracy. Gamma is probably the more useful SDR setting, as backlight levels can mess with the mid-range if you are not careful. HDR seems to want a higher backlight setting. The default backlight setting for the Calibrated PM is 100 when DV gets triggered. You should probably make a bunch of custom PM's with all the various adjustments for content sources and save them with custom names. That way, you can call them up at a moment's notice.

But, I bet you've already done that.
post #7100 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. I'm really happy to hear that things are looking good on your set. They certainly look great on mine! It took a few runs with different approaches to find a fairly universal collection of settings that might work with more models and variant panels. I think I now have SDR nailed. Next up is DV HDR, which according to The Coolest is not that much of an ordeal. The pattern generator I have will allow me to load the Golden Reference file for the M70, which will trigger DV, and then I set colors from there. I don't think there are any 11 point adjustments because DV takes over that part.

Backlight and Gamma are good ways to mange room lighting compensation, and less disruptive with color accuracy. Gamma is probably the more useful SDR setting, as backlight levels can mess with the mid-range if you are not careful. HDR seems to want a higher backlight setting. The default backlight setting for the Calibrated PM is 100 when DV gets triggered. You should probably make a bunch of custom PM's with all the various adjustments for content sources and save them with custom names. That way, you can call them up at a moment's notice.

So with color scale and 11 pt non-adjustable in a 4k source we can only hope all those 0's it shows are really what has been dialed in on 1080p, but now that we are FINALLY at a point where I can have a few different profiles total for SD, 4k, HDR10 and DV I can now actually save them! Then again, there will always be that dark title that just has to have a little bump in contrast or I can't make out anything, like my Xfinity On Demand and certain streaming titles like Daredevil, but then again I can set another profile for that too, maybe get to about 6 total.
post #7101 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Scelzi View Post
Let me know how these settings look on your TV - good or bad. I'm getting some good feedback from others who have tried them, and hopefully you'll have similar results.
I tried the latest settings on my M50 and they turned my picture yellow . Like everything was being watched through a yellow lense. The panels must be too different. Really appreciate your time though. The M50 seems to be a rare bird around here.
post #7102 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Do you use Calibrated Dark, Normal Color Temp, Color - 50, when you're watching HDR?

I've been struggling with finding the right balance between colors looking saturated but not blown out completely. It's been driving me (and my wife lol) nuts. Just curious what color setting you personally like to use. Planet Earth 2 really is fantastic.
post #7103 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So with color scale and 11 pt non-adjustable in a 4k source we can only hope all those 0's it shows are really what has been dialed in on 1080p, but now that we are FINALLY at a point where I can have a few different profiles total for SD, 4k, HDR10 and DV I can now actually save them! Then again, there will always be that dark title that just has to have a little bump in contrast or I can't make out anything, like my Xfinity On Demand and certain streaming titles like Daredevil, but then again I can set another profile for that too, maybe get to about 6 total.
With DV, I think all those zeros are actually just what they indicate. It's a temporary color tuner / 11 point reset in favor of the DV Golden Reference file, and it takes over the TV. I guess we'll figure out if that 4K 11 point setting disabler is a bug, or does Vizio have something in mind that we don't know about yet. Apparently the DV workflow in CalMan doesn't care about the 11 point, so maybe that's what they intended all along with 3.2.8.3.
post #7104 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Do you use Calibrated Dark, Normal Color Temp, Color - 50, when you're watching HDR?

I've been struggling with finding the right balance between colors looking saturated but not blown out completely. It's been driving me (and my wife lol) nuts. Just curious what color setting you personally like to use. Planet Earth 2 really is fantastic.
The word "dark" alone means you shouldn't use it for HDR, even in a dark room. For HDR you need to use Vivid simply for the highlights to come though properly, even if you are in a dark room... Just dial down the settings as you need be but by starting with Vivid you at least know the highlights will come through to their potential on our model... The preset names themselves are more than just pre-adjusted settings, they have differences aside from the adjustments we can make and to keep it simple just use Vivid (and dial down if you have to) with HDR.
post #7105 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With DV, I think all those zeros are actually just what they indicate. It's a temporary color tuner / 11 point reset in favor of the DV Golden Reference file, and it takes over the TV. I guess we'll figure out if that 4K 11 point setting disabler is a bug, or does Vizio have something in mind that we don't know about yet. Apparently the DV workflow in CalMan doesn't care about the 11 point, so maybe that's what they intended all along with 3.2.8.3.
It shows all 0's while in any 4k output, not just DV... so, not sure what to make of that....
post #7106 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
I tried the latest settings on my M50 and they turned my picture yellow . Like everything was being watched through a yellow lense. The panels must be too different. Really appreciate your time though. The M50 seems to be a rare bird around here.
Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. I believe that the M50's panel may be built by a different manufacturer as well - which would add to the differences.

I would use the "Calibrated Dark" PM and adjust the color and backlight to your preference. This is not quite as good as real calibration, but still a very good picture.
post #7107 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It shows all 0's while in any 4k output, not just DV... so, not sure what to make of that....
Weird. I'm not getting that. I just changed to a 4K SDR DirecTV channel and all the settings are holding. My AVR upscales 1080P content to 4K, so I just threw in a blu-ray and the settings are still in place with that source as well. The only time I see the reset is with DV. Strange!
post #7108 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Weird. I'm not getting that. I just changed to a 4K SDR DirecTV channel and all the settings are holding. My AVR upscales 1080P content to 4K, so I just threw in a blu-ray and the settings are still in place with that source as well. The only time I see the reset is with DV. Strange!
So that is with Shield outputting directly to the display at 4k 59.94Hz, right on the main menu, not inn any app... so maybe by going through an AV (which eventually I will do to replace my 2.1 soundbar) it somehow lets it adjust those settings, that is weird though, I'll double check tonight.
post #7109 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5308 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
Quote:

I'm not sure why you say this. The backlight makes no difference to the meter in SDR that I have seen. The backlight make a big difference in the mid tone area and in the EOTF. DV expects the default backlight setting for the tone mapping so I wouldn't change that. For DV and HDR 10 I only use the gamma setting to lighten it for daytime use.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
danbfree and The Coolest like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7110 of 10276 Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5308 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
Quote:
Quote:
Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. I believe that the M50's panel may be built by a different manufacturer as well - which would add to the differences.

I would use the "Calibrated Dark" PM and adjust the color and backlight to your preference. This is not quite as good as real calibration, but still a very good picture.
When you input settings in SDR they are just for SDR. When you start up DV or HDR10 content, the display switches to another CMS. There are 3 CMS tables in each color space. 3 for normal, 3 for Cool and 3 for computer the 9 are in each Ycbcr and RGB mode also.
So those modes are all calibrated separately.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
danbfree likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page