Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #7411 of 10263 Old 05-14-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior123 View Post
Great, will do!

One other question. I saw that Sharpness is at 2 for low quality content, such as cable, 1080i, etc.

What do you set it at for other content, such as blu ray, HDR, streaming, etc. Do you keep it at 2, or adjust accordingly?

Thanks!
Keep it at 2. No need to change based on content. At that level, it's barely doing anything. Blu-ray, 4K, HDR, etc. will not look any different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 10263 Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Since the last update, all my CEC related issues have been resolved. The display no longer wakes up devices that are on other inputs when it is powered on, and my Nvidia Shield can finally power off the display.
post #7413 of 10263 Old 05-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for taking the time for the sake of science!
Just plugged in your latest settings. They look pretty damn nice. Gonna keep them for a while. I had just assumed after trying one of your previous versions that our panels were just too different. Glad I gave them another chance. I appreciate your work on these, and for convincing my to give them another try.

Now I'm looking forward to what you come up with for HDR! 👍👍
sonoftumble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 10263 Old 05-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can somebody post a new calibration setting for the new firmware on the m60 please
post #7415 of 10263 Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Sort of, but not exactly. While a Google Cast device (like this tv) CAN mirror the screen of a phone/tablet, that's not what is usually happening.

When you Cast, the content is not going from the internet to the phone/tablet, and then from there to the display/Google Cast device. That would be detrimental to the battery life of the phone, and would allow the phone to be a bottleneck. Instead, the phone directs the stream, whether it's Netflix, Youtube, Vudu, whatever, directly to the Google Cast device. The phone is simply dictating which content the Cast device gets directly from the internet/service. In other words, when you Cast a netflix movie, the movie is not going to your phone/tablet at all. It is going directly from the source (Netflix) to the Cast device (the Vizio, in this case). The phone can pause/play/seek from the side. It is a brilliant concept and it works very well.
I've recently started using my laptop to cast and it works just fine, the same as the tablet. I also have home movies and other content on my laptop that I'd like to cast, so I'd like to be able to mirror. When I go to display settings and try to cast a mirror image to the Vizio, the laptop says it can't "find" the wireless display. Why is it that it can find it just fine for casting internet content but can't find it when I want the Vizio to be a mirror of my laptop?
post #7416 of 10263 Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocom1 View Post
Can somebody post a new calibration setting for the new firmware on the m60 please
Your are welcome to try mine. They are for an M70-D3. They should look good on your set. I know there are specific M60 calibrations out there, but I don't think there are any for FW 3.2.8.3. Your panel is an IPS type, but it shouldn't really matter. The general consensus is a thumbs up from members in this thread who have tried them. These are meter based using CalMan. Be sure to input all the settings as they are all interrelated to each other.

----------------------------------------------

NOTES: Getting the two point Grey Scale ( 30%, 80% ) as close to perfect as possible causes a ton of positive behaviors from the TV throughout the rest of the ISF workflow. Once those two adjustments are set, the 100% white ( Reference White ) only needed blue adjustments, and small red and green tinkering; also minor adjustments to 60% and 90%, with all zeros across all the other levels with <2% delta errors on the graph! This also made the color tuner adjustments much more minor, and therefore probably more applicable to more M series TV’s out there. Another nice side effect is that I am seeing better black levels and FALD behavior, especially with letterbox content. The saturation sweeps and color checker charts were beautiful!
Basically demonstrates just how good these TV’s are.

3.2.8.3 Calibration REV 4.5 ( Contrast - 50 )
2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

Start with Calibrated picture mode.

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Pure Cinema ( FW 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. - Film Mode )
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.1

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 0, G: -4, B: 0, C: 0, M: -5, Y: 0
Sat: R: -5, G: -1, B: -10, C: -3, M: -5, Y: 5
Brt: R: -6, G: -7, B: -12, C: -6, M: -7, Y: -1
Ofs: R: 2, G: 3, B: 5
Gain: R: 9, G: 17, B: -7

11 Point:
5%: to 50%: No change - zeros
60%: R: -4, G: -10, B: -10
70% - No change - zeros
80% - No change - zeros
90% R: 0, G: 0, B: 5
100%: R: 20, G: -15, B: 15
grecorj likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #7417 of 10263 Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Your are welcome to try mine. They are for an M70-D3. They should look good on your set. I know there are specific M60 calibrations out there, but I don't think there are any for FW 3.2.8.3. Your panel is an IPS type, but it shouldn't really matter. The general consensus is a thumbs up from members in this thread who have tried them. These are meter based using CalMan. Be sure to input all the settings as they are all interrelated to each other.

NOTES: Getting the two point Grey Scale ( 30%, 80% ) as close to perfect as possible causes a ton of positive behaviors from the TV throughout the rest of the ISF workflow. Once those two adjustments are set, the 100% white ( Reference White ) only needed blue adjustments, and small red and green tinkering; also minor adjustments to 60% and 90%, with all zeros across all the other levels with <2% delta errors on the graph! This also made the color tuner adjustments much more minor, and therefore probably more applicable to more M series TV’s out there. Another nice side effect is that I am seeing better black levels and FALD behavior, especially with letterbox content. The saturation sweeps and color checker charts were beautiful!

2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

Basic Settings:
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.

Color Tuner:

11 Point:
70% - No change - zeros
80% - No change - zeros
Are you sure It doesnt matter if i have an ips panel?
post #7418 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry if this has been answered, I looked but couldn't find anything. I have a m70 with a Yamaha yas-106 sound bar. It's connected via HDMI/arc .. Everything works great at first but while casting Netflix if I pause or rewind or change episodes the sound stops working and I have to go into settings and turn the audio off and back on again to get it working again. Problem also occasionally happens on restarting the TV. Are there any solutions besides ditching ARC and getting a Harmony/juggling 2 remotes?
post #7419 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocom1 View Post
Are you sure It doesnt matter if i have an ips panel?
Not as sure as death and taxes, but . . . .

The notable differences between an IPS panel and a VA panel is contrast, black uniformity, and viewing angle. Color performance profiles should be similar to each other. Here's a link to a rtings article that goes over the differences: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

The only sure thing with TV's is that there are panel variances across the series, and even within the same model. However, current manufacturing processes produce a high degree of continuity so that variances in measurements are generally <5%. A meter will notice, but the human eye will not.

Certainties:

1) Inputting these settings will not harm your TV. If you like them, keep them. Otherwise, reset the color tuner and you are back to factory.
2) Every M series model gets the same FW. No special FW for VA vs. IPS models.
3) Out of the box, the factory picture modes all use the same initial settings across all models. In other words, we start at the same basis point, with the color tuner and 11 point set to zeroes.

If you decide to try the settings, I would appreciate feedback. I might recommend some small adjustments depending on your set's color behavior. Otherwise, contrast and black levels are going to be the main difference - which is IPS specific.
post #7420 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe8 View Post
@sonoftumble

I wanted to give you a little feedback on the above settings, as I tried them the other night after I saw my set had already updated to the latest 3.2.8.3 firmware. It immediately hit me that the picture was extremely yellow/warm, which also darkened it from what I have been used to for the past 6 months. I have been using the rtings settings, which use the computer color setting (I think, not at home right now). So I suppose I've just gotten used to a much cooler picture, which may not be entirely accurate?

Anyway, I'm going to give it more time to see if it grows on me. Like most picture setting changes I've been subjected to in the past, it will take awhile to get used to. I prefer an accurate picture, perhaps with a little bit oversaturation on the color, probably due to my minor color-blindness (trouble seeing the "dot" pictures). I really appreciate all of the work you have been doing in fine-tuning the picture settings like this. Kudos!
Don't know if you still evaluating my settings, but another member noticed a similar yellow bias. I had him set yellow to 0 - for both brightness and saturation in the color tuner. Last I heard, all was looking good. Panel variances at work. First world problems.
yanks1 likes this.
post #7421 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
@sonoftumble I plugged in those new settings when you posted last week and things seem to look pretty spiffy on my end I havent had to adjust brightness or contrast not once. I have wanted to a few times but found other ways around it. Keep doing what your doing, learn some more new tricks and share here please and thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sonoftumble likes this.
post #7422 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
@sonoftumble I plugged in those new settings when you posted last week and things seem to look pretty spiffy on my end I havent had to adjust brightness or contrast not once. I have wanted to a few times but found other ways around it. Keep doing what your doing, learn some more new tricks and share here please and thank you.

Thank you for the encouragement.

I doubt that you will notice a difference, but I had a typo in the color tuner. For brightness, set yellow to -1. ( the typo says 5 ). That's it. Enjoy.
post #7423 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement.

I doubt that you will notice a difference, but I had a typo in the color tuner. For brightness, set yellow to -1. ( the typo says 5 ). That's it. Enjoy.

I did notice the typo after you corrected it, will adjust and see how it reacts.

sonoftumble likes this.
post #7424 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey all, hopefully it is OK to ask this in here - for the M70-D3 owners, if you were going to purchase your first 4K TV this week (as I plan to), would you still purchase the M70-D3, or would you grab the 2017 M70-E3? I know there are pros and cons to each (less dimming zones on 2017, brighter screen on 2017 and wide color gamut). And I guess the lack of reviews for 2017 are not helping either.

I have already purchased a 4K receiver (Sony STR-DH770), 4K Blu-Ray player (Sony UBP-X800), a 4K streaming device (Amazon Fire TV), replaced all my HDMI cables, and have a few UHD Blu-Rays. I just need the TV And I am definitely aiming for the best HDR picture possible. (And no, the P-series 65 inch is not an option I am looking at).
post #7425 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by How Bout That View Post
I've recently started using my laptop to cast and it works just fine, the same as the tablet. I also have home movies and other content on my laptop that I'd like to cast, so I'd like to be able to mirror. When I go to display settings and try to cast a mirror image to the Vizio, the laptop says it can't "find" the wireless display. Why is it that it can find it just fine for casting internet content but can't find it when I want the Vizio to be a mirror of my laptop?
Sorry if this is covered ground but the search I did brought me to this thread so that's why I'm posting here.

My question is simply, can the Vizio (M70-D3) be used to do a wireless mirror cast of my laptop? I have no problem with casting internet content so I can't figure out what the problem is.
post #7426 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Don't know if you still evaluating my settings, but another member noticed a similar yellow bias. I had him set yellow to 0 - for both brightness and saturation in the color tuner. Last I heard, all was looking good. Panel variances at work. First world problems.
Did you watch the same scene he posted to see if yours does it? In the past and including my set, I have seen this with green brightness before. I have read that brightness adjustments on these sets can do that.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7427 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, it looks like I'm not getting the Vizio M after all. It was going to be delivered to the curb and I can't have that. So, Squaretrade is "upgrading me to the Samsung 70". The one BB sells now. That can have white glove. So I have to do that. I had open heart last November so no heavy lifting. I couldn't coordinate a team quickly and at least the Sammy is RVU so no need of the mini. It's a nice set I'm sure, and the center stand is a benefit to me. I'll deal with everything else. There are some scary reviews on BB so I hope it's not a lemon.

Sonoftumble, now I need to find your equivalent on the Sammy forum. I'm sure there's a dedicated soul there too. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks!

Quote:

2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

Basic Settings:

Color Tuner:

11 Point:
70% - No change - zeros
80% - No change - zeros

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #7428 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Well, it looks like I'm not getting the Vizio M after all. It was going to be delivered to the curb and I can't have that. So, Squaretrade is "upgrading me to the Samsung 70". The one BB sells now. That can have white glove. So I have to do that. I had open heart last November so no heavy lifting. I couldn't coordinate a team quickly and at least the Sammy is RVU so no need of the mini. It's a nice set I'm sure, and the center stand is a benefit to me. I'll deal with everything else. There are some scary reviews on BB so I hope it's not a lemon.

Sonoftumble, now I need to find your equivalent on the Sammy forum. I'm sure there's a dedicated soul there too. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks!

Bummer! Sorry to see you leave. I can't believe you couldn't get white glove with the M70. Must be a BB thing. I got mine from Costco and white glove was standard. My initial M70 had to be swapped out, and Vizio arranged white glove for the swap. Didn't have to ask.

Well, best to you. I suppose the silver lining is RVU support. I'm sure you will be happy with the Sammy PQ as well.
post #7429 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Did you watch the same scene he posted to see if yours does it? In the past and including my set, I have seen this with green brightness before. I have read that brightness adjustments on these sets can do that.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Yes, I remember reading that as well. Yellow and green brightness adjustments seem pretty sensitive on these sets. In fact I read in one of the "P" series calibration posts, that all you had to do was bump yellow up from 0 to +1 to get the block noise to appear.

Roadwarrior123 originally posted the pics, but there were a couple of others who noticed the yellow bias.

Turns out there was a typo in my yellow brightness setting. Should have been -1, but I typed +5. Once that adjustment was made, the block noise went away. Also, fixed the yellow bias.

EDIT: I didn't watch the same scene, but I was able to confirm that the yellow brightness setting triggered the block noise by watching a scene from "The Martian". Some of my earlier calibration attempts were a bit heavy handed with the color tuner, so I was introducing block noise all over the place. Thanks to you for your suggestions with the 80%/30% settings. That paved the way for a much smoother and less problematic calibration process!
shoman94 likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.
post #7430 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglonek View Post
Hey all, hopefully it is OK to ask this in here - for the M70-D3 owners, if you were going to purchase your first 4K TV this week (as I plan to), would you still purchase the M70-D3, or would you grab the 2017 M70-E3? I know there are pros and cons to each (less dimming zones on 2017, brighter screen on 2017 and wide color gamut). And I guess the lack of reviews for 2017 are not helping either.

I have already purchased a 4K receiver (Sony STR-DH770), 4K Blu-Ray player (Sony UBP-X800), a 4K streaming device (Amazon Fire TV), replaced all my HDMI cables, and have a few UHD Blu-Rays. I just need the TV And I am definitely aiming for the best HDR picture possible. (And no, the P-series 65 inch is not an option I am looking at).
I have the 2016 M70-D3, and if WCG content was more available, I would have returned the D3 to Costco and waited for the E3. But I decided to keep the D3, because 99% of the content out there is still SDR, and I wanted more dimming zones, a faster panel ( 120Hz ), and 5 HDMI inputs - among other things. Plus Vizio is really stellar with keeping older models fresh with frequent FW updates. HDR is the magic more than WCG.
post #7431 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I have the 2016 M70-D3, and if WCG content was more available, I would have returned the D3 to Costco and waited for the E3. But I decided to keep the D3, because 99% of the content out there is still SDR, and I wanted more dimming zones, a faster panel ( 120Hz ), and 5 HDMI inputs - among other things. Plus Vizio is really stellar with keeping older models fresh with frequent FW updates. HDR is the magic more than WCG.
Yeah I'm still trying to properly understand the difference between HDR and WCG. I had assumed WCG played a role in the color range that HDR can provide - for instance, I thought that the 2016 M series cannot reach the full HDR spectrum like the 2016 P series (and presumably the 2017 M series) can? So even if content isn't certified for WCG, TV's that can support it would look better than non? Unless I don't understand that right.

I guess it might come down to someone getting their hands on the 2017 M series and doing a review/comparison. Of course by that time the 2016's will probably no longer be available.
post #7432 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Part 2: Why is color Volume Important ?

Hey my friends, it’s me again.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally finished the second part of my Color Volume article – which is post #2 in my “What is Color Volume?” thread. If you haven’t done so already, I would like to invite you to first read the first part of my article – which is post #1 in that thread.

>LINK: What is Color Volume ?<

I also made further improvements to the first part (post #1 ) of my article, adding more information, including more pics and illustrations. I also added a lengthy Quote from professional colorist Stephen Nakamura to the HDR section.

Stephen Nakamura is a colorist with "Company 3" in LA, who has worked with really high profile directors and cinematographers and knows more about HDR than most people. He has graded in HDR movies like Exodus: Gods and Kings (the first ever movie to be HDR graded); Tomorrowland (Disney’s first HDR grade and a movie made for the format); The Martian; and Joy.

Click the LINK above, or in my signature below, to go to the article.

I hope you like it, thank you!

Richard
jedurocher and sonoftumble like this.
post #7433 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Yeah I'm still trying to properly understand the difference between HDR and WCG. I had assumed WCG played a role in the color range that HDR can provide - for instance, I thought that the 2016 M series cannot reach the full HDR spectrum like the 2016 P series (and presumably the 2017 M series) can? So even if content isn't certified for WCG, TV's that can support it would look better than non? Unless I don't understand that right.

I guess it might come down to someone getting their hands on the 2017 M series and doing a review/comparison. Of course by that time the 2016's will probably no longer be available.
Right. WCG along side with enough brightness, is part of what makes a good HDR capable set. The 2016 M series can only cover just about the REC709 range of colors.
This means that HDR10 content will simply 'max out early', and colors won't go as deep as they will on a WCG set. It also means that certain scenes may look a bit flat even though they're pretty bright.
In DV, the display is supposed to dynamically map the content to its capabilities. I don't have CalMAN, so I can't do DV calibration to see how it behaves in this mode.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7434 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Right. WCG along side with enough brightness, is part of what makes a good HDR capable set. The 2016 M series can only cover just about the REC709 range of colors.
This means that HDR10 content will simply 'max out early', and colors won't go as deep as they will on a WCG set. It also means that certain scenes may look a bit flat even though they're pretty bright.
In DV, the display is supposed to dynamically map the content to its capabilities. I don't have CalMAN, so I can't do DV calibration to see how it behaves in this mode.
So if I understand that correctly, in theory the 2017 M series would be better for HDR due to the WCG and increased brightness, but those benefits may be negated a bit by the lower dimming zone count? Maybe it's a good thing the M70-E3 went out of stock for now on Vizio's site.
post #7435 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@jglonek

Pretty much. I have a 2015 M55, which has 32 zones, and the only time I actually notice blooming (due to low zone count) is in menus or very bright text on a dark background, which is also a bit offset.
In most content, I don't notice it.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7436 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HDR is separate from WCG, but WCG needs HDR. HDR is about brightness and contrast manipulation at a zonal level. The more zones, the more detailed the manipulation. It also has the effect of adding pop to colors, especially with night scenes - street lights - neon signs - etc. WCG simply stated = more colors. HDR+WCG is still pretty rare. Do a search for Blu-rays that are "UltraHD Premium" certified and you will see what I mean. I still get frustrated looking/waiting for plain old HDR content, let alone HDR+WCG. I can only watch so many cooking shows, artist profiles, b grade TV series, and Adam Sandler movies.

In a couple of years, it will be time to upgrade my M70, and at that point, the HDR and WCG side of the TV world should be much better. Right now, a TV with a WCG is awesome, but like owning a Lamborghini, there are very few roads where you can stretch its legs.

Have you considered giving up 2.5" at the corners and picking up a P65? Much better TV.
wmarkw likes this.
post #7437 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Bummer! Sorry to see you leave. I can't believe you couldn't get white glove with the M70. Must be a BB thing. I got mine from Costco and white glove was standard. My initial M70 had to be swapped out, and Vizio arranged white glove for the swap. Didn't have to ask.

Well, best to you. I suppose the silver lining is RVU support. I'm sure you will be happy with the Sammy PQ as well.
Thanks! It was coming from a Sam's Club in TX via Pilot Freight. SC is not Costco. When D* does the install I'll post here about my dish upgrade and what they do. I hope the Sammy UN70KU6300 has as deep a calibration ability as the Vizio has. I'm not adverse to an ISF calibration if needed after the set burns in a bit. I'll check my new forum hom to see what's up. We shall see.

sonoftumble likes this.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #7438 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Have you considered giving up 2.5" at the corners and picking up a P65? Much better TV.
I've thought about it, and you are definitely not the only person to suggest that. I just have a feeling that I will notice the size difference. All the time.
post #7439 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Keep it at 2. No need to change based on content. At that level, it's barely doing anything. Blu-ray, 4K, HDR, etc. will not look any different.
I'm not finding my M55 TV to be very sharp in many cases. Could be the source material (mostly 1080i via DirecTV), but even the menu screen of my Shield is less sharp than I'd expect. I do have the sharpness bumped up to 20 just to compensate. Anyone else find this TV to be a bit soft?
post #7440 of 10263 Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've thought about it, and you are definitely not the only person to suggest that. I just have a feeling that I will notice the size difference. All the time.
I guess it depends on how close or how far your viewing distance will be. I sit about 9 feet away. About 5 years ago, 65" was about the biggest. When I upgraded to a 2014 M702i-B3, I didn't notice that the screen was bigger. My M702i started having issues with one of the zones about 5 months ago. Square Trade sent me a check for a full replacement. I still think about whether I should have gotten the 65" P instead of the M70. But then again, the M70's picture is amazing, and now that I've done a really great calibration, the picture is flat out superb! And since there's a dearth of WCG content, I'm not missing it. Alas, that's the price we pay for being on the cutting edge. When I bought my first HD TV in 2005, the only HD channel was PBS and the occasional sporting event. A year later, even the local news were HD braggarts. First World problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page