Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #7831 of 10263 Old 06-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Vizio's FW deployment schedule is top secret. I could tell you, but then I would have to brick your TV.

Seriously, I don't know. The best answer is sometime soon.

Use the "Check for Updates" feature and check daily. One day, you'll get the message that there is something new and then it will automatically download and install. I might happen when the TV's been turned off for a while - such as overnight.
My next question is naturally going to be how do you have it if it's not even out yet? Lol. And didn't the FW I have only come out like the beginning of May or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 10263 Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
My next question is naturally going to be how do you have it if it's not even out yet? Lol. And didn't the FW I have only come out like the beginning of May or something?
It is out, just not in wide distribution yet. Sometimes Vizio will seed an update to a few, and see how things go before doing a wide release. Keep in mind that 3.2.8.3 was first a beta and then went wide release once they felt confident that it wouldn't kill anything. lol
post #7833 of 10263 Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It is out, just not in wide distribution yet. Sometimes Vizio will seed an update to a few, and see how things go before doing a wide release. Keep in mind that 3.2.8.3 was first a beta and then went wide release once they felt confident that it wouldn't kill anything. lol
I see. Btw I tried out your picture settings on mine and it looks ridiculously yellow, I guess that goes to show there quite a bit of variation in these displays. The second I put the color temperature to normal it turns everything way too yellowish and just kinda washes out the colors.
rjhseven likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 10263 Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see. Btw I tried out your picture settings on mine and it looks ridiculously yellow, I guess that goes to show there quite a bit of variation in these displays. The second I put the color temperature to normal it turns everything way too yellowish and just kinda washes out the colors.
You're not the first one to say that my settings look a bit yellow - although they shouldn't. My adjustments to the color tuner and 11 point are very mild. The goal was to take a pretty accurate picture with the "Calibrated" picture mode and then fine tune it. Usually I get that complaint with M60 owners. The M60 has an IPS panel so there are bigger differences. Most of the M65 people thought that the settings looked great.

To verify, you are using my rev 4.5 settings - correct? Make sure that the color space is set to "Auto" and not RGB.

Also, just so you are aware, when you change the color temp setting, the TV loads a separate CMS ( color management system ) table - meaning that the 11 point and Color tuner will be zeroed out except for the original temp setting that was used when you made those adjustments.
post #7835 of 10263 Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
You're not the first one to say that my settings look a bit yellow - although they shouldn't. My adjustments to the color tuner and 11 point are very mild. The goal was to take a pretty accurate picture with the "Calibrated" picture mode and then fine tune it. Usually I get that complaint with M60 owners. The M60 has an IPS panel so there are bigger differences. Most of the M65 people thought that the settings looked great.

To verify, you are using my rev 4.5 settings - correct? Make sure that the color space is set to "Auto" and not RGB.

Also, just so you are aware, when you change the color temp setting, the TV loads a separate CMS ( color management system ) table - meaning that the 11 point and Color tuner will be zeroed out except for the original temp setting that was used when you made those adjustments.
Yup rev 4.5. Even just the "Calibrated" default setting will really yellow out my screen, again it has to do with the picture temp, setting it to "normal" is what causes it to become super yellow. Maybe theres just something wrong with mine? Also I did the RTINGS local dimming test, on my there is absolutely no blooming of whites to the dark background what so ever, just notice the white box flickering quite a bit from dark to bright as it moves. Completely different from the test videos I watched where the white bleeded into the dark background as it moves. Is urs the same way as mine?
post #7836 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
<b>You're not the first one to say that my settings look a bit yellow</b> - although they shouldn't. My adjustments to the color tuner and 11 point are very mild. The goal was to take a pretty accurate picture with the "Calibrated" picture mode and then fine tune it. Usually I get that complaint with M60 owners. The M60 has an IPS panel so there are bigger differences. Most of the M65 people thought that the settings looked great.

Guilty

On the topic of FW: are we sure 3.2.13.3 is out of beta?

I've been on that list since like October, so I'm unsure when everything actually goes live.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
post #7837 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just got my M55-E0 setup, ups delivered it last night.
Sonoftumble would your settings be a good start for picture quality? I know your settings are for 2016 and a bigger tv but im hoping they might scale well to mine. So far im loving the tv, ive noticed a slight uniformity issue on the left hand side, but some slight massaging seems to have fixed it for the most part. This tv is replacing a 55" polaroid 4k tv i got on a firesale for $200. The hdr and fald really blow me away with how much brighter and darker this tv can [email protected]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #7838 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@bpa88

Doubt it. The panel is more like the P series than the 2016 M series.
shoman94 and wlp3D like this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #7839 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Gotcha hopefully a calibration comes along at some point.

post #7840 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup rev 4.5. Even just the "Calibrated" default setting will really yellow out my screen, again it has to do with the picture temp, setting it to "normal" is what causes it to become super yellow. Maybe theres just something wrong with mine? Also I did the RTINGS local dimming test, on my there is absolutely no blooming of whites to the dark background what so ever, just notice the white box flickering quite a bit from dark to bright as it moves. Completely different from the test videos I watched where the white bleeded into the dark background as it moves. Is urs the same way as mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post
Guilty

On the topic of FW: are we sure 3.2.13.3 is out of beta?

I've been on that list since like October, so I'm unsure when everything actually goes live.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
When I first got 3.2.13.3, I assumed that was because I was on the beta list. Now, I'm not certain as to whether it's beta or limited release. A few pages back, I was conversing with @cheapskateaudiophile and @JD4L . Both got 3.2.13.3 and are not on the beta list. With JD4L, he was on the beta list but he returned/swapped out his TV for a different model with obviously a different serial number and still got 13.3. Beta or ?

YELLOW:

@bmarcinczyk14 only needs to choose the factory "Calibrated" Picture mode, with the CMS reset, and the Color temp set to "Normal" to see the yellow bias. So at that point these are not my calibrated settings at all, but rather just a factory PM. When he changes the color temp, the yellow goes away.

@secondhand1 , is that the same with you? I can't imagine that my adjustments to the color tuner and 11 point will invoke a yellow bias. They're so minor.
wlp3D likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.
post #7841 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa88 View Post
Just got my M55-E0 setup, ups delivered it last night.
Sonoftumble would your settings be a good start for picture quality? I know your settings are for 2016 and a bigger tv but im hoping they might scale well to mine. So far im loving the tv, ive noticed a slight uniformity issue on the left hand side, but some slight massaging seems to have fixed it for the most part. This tv is replacing a 55" polaroid 4k tv i got on a firesale for $200. The hdr and fald really blow me away with how much brighter and darker this tv can [email protected]

Agree with @The Coolest . Totally different panel with a different backlight color, BT2020 color space, etc. My settings would probably mess up your picture more than help it.
wlp3D likes this.
post #7842 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thumbs up

Quote:

Just out of curiousity and by no means the eggspert any of y'all are...
Could this yellow bias he is talking about just be an inexperience with calibrated/normal picture settings? Just spit balling here and dont know the previous posters background with PM's, but I do know a few years ago when I first started learning about actually getting a calibrated picture and adjusting the factory settings (torch mode!!!) I said the same thing forever, that it just didn't look right because those out of the box settings (which I will say Vizio's are quite nice out of the box) are very blue bias. Switching to Calibrated and Normal really swings it back to yellows/oranges and lifelike colors. Just some food for thought as an outside opinion. May or may not mean anything just my cents. And then again it could just flat out be yellow. Maybe a photo would help depict the exact issue stated from the original poster with this issue.

EDIT: I checked my firmware last night and no update is available on my end as of yet, no .13 available. So assuming it is not wide release at this point.
post #7843 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@wlp3D

Yep, pretty much. It takes some getting used to at first.
wlp3D likes this.

post #7844 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlp3D View Post
Just out of curiousity and by no means the eggspert any of y'all are...
Could this yellow bias he is talking about just be an inexperience with calibrated/normal picture settings? Just spit balling here and dont know the previous posters background with PM's, but I do know a few years ago when I first started learning about actually getting a calibrated picture and adjusting the factory settings (torch mode!!!) I said the same thing forever, that it just didn't look right because those out of the box settings (which I will say Vizio's are quite nice out of the box) are very blue bias. Switching to Calibrated and Normal really swings it back to yellows/oranges and lifelike colors. Just some food for thought as an outside opinion. May or may not mean anything just my cents. And then again it could just flat out be yellow. Maybe a photo would help depict the exact issue stated from the original poster with this issue.

EDIT: I checked my firmware last night and no update is available on my end as of yet, no .13 available. So assuming it is not wide release at this point.
I would tend to agree with your take. Of course there will be panel variances within a series, and even within the same models. My settings are specific to the M70, but should look good with other models except for the M60 due to its IPS panel. The feedback I've been getting is generally inconsistent. The vast majority have given my settings a thumbs up.

The contributing factors for this inconsistency would include what you said about familiarity with viewing content with the standard 6500K temp. Also, certain types of color blindness in which the eye's blue receptacles are fewer than the average, will make yellow more dominant. A cooler temp will add more blue into the mix, and might look better to some under those circumstances.

I also agree with your assessment about the blue bias with out-of-the-box factory picture modes. That's what prompted me to break out the calibration gear in the first place. After a few runs, it became an obsession: "The relentless pursuit of perfection" kind of thing. With Rev. 4.5, I finally got things so close that I could put away the gear.

Now, it could also be that a particular panel has an issue with getting the white reference correct. That means that the yellow bias is present in the B&W layer of the picture.

I think a picture of what they are seeing might help narrow down whether it's their TV's or other things.
wlp3D likes this.
post #7845 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
@sonoftumble , could you post a link to the calibration thread. Im looking for a calibration on a Lg B6 oled 2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7846 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
@sonoftumble , could you post a link to the calibration thread. Im looking for a calibration on a Lg B6 oled 2016

Can't find one. Just like this thread, there is no dedicated calibration thread.
post #7847 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Nooooooo, oh well. Just trying to help a friend out that grabbed one from his local hhgregg when they had their going out of bussiness sale. Half off, lucky bastard.

sonoftumble likes this.
post #7848 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Try this one. It seems to be loaded with settings. Don't know how many are meter based vs. disc: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-b6.html

Also, rtings has settings. Not sure about the FW rev when they did them.
post #7849 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
I was having a similar discussion with @secondhand1 earlier. Here's what he said about the settings for both the xbox and your TV . . . .

"So I'm strictly speaking physical discs through the Xbox. I've got it set to allow everything, including YCC 4:2:2.

There always seemed to be some confusion as to whether subsampling was required for the M to recognize and accurately display disc based HDR content from the Xbox. General consensus was yes, so I toggled it and forgot about it. Keep in mind this was all around the empty packet sending fiasco, and the back and forth about cables being the problem.

Fast forward, and there have been updates to the M, and fixes put in place on Microsoft's side, but I've left my settings the same with zero issues.

That said, if I toggle Full UHD Color off, the app doesn't recognize the output as HDR. It's weird. I'll try it with casting, as well as the apps on the Xbox."

So, turn Full UHD Color back on and then make sure your xbox settings say "Allow" everything. I'm assuming that you ran the xbox FW update that was released in early April?

Also, run the Netflix casting app on your mobile device(s), instead of the xbox app. That way you will also be able to watch Dolby Vision content. I think that most would agree with me that DV is the better HDR implementation at the moment.
I tried casting for the first time last night on M70-D3 using the Netflix app on my iPhone-was casting House of Cards and display info on Smart Cast app said 720P.
Could someone give me the step by step instructions-like I'm a six year old-to cast 4K or UHD. Manual no help. Also, search of this thread was a nightmare. TIA!!!

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #7850 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Whoever was looking for the stand (can't find post now): this one looks great and has drawers-you see virtually no wiring. Plus, the price has gone down since I bought it:

https://www.goedekers.com/Signature-...W5phoCnFLw_wcB
sonoftumble likes this.

post #7851 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Try this one. It seems to be loaded with settings. Don't know how many are meter based vs. disc: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-b6.html

Also, rtings has settings. Not sure about the FW rev when they did them.

Thanks for that. Im sure he wont use this stuff because he's not really into the whole "movie experience" and it makes me super jealous. He's got this outstanding piece of equipment and just isnt interested in taking full advantage of it. He already has a 2014 B6 4k and I try to encourage him to really dive into it and he would enjoy it more than out of the box

post #7852 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
I tried casting for the first time last night on M70-D3 using the Netflix app on my iPhone-was casting House of Cards and display info on Smart Cast app said 720P.
Could someone give me the step by step instructions-like I'm a six year old-to cast 4K or UHD. Manual no help. Also, search of this thread was a nightmare. TIA!!!
Here's the short version. I also attached the book version.

INFO: The Android version of the Netflix app ( comes with the tablet ) is a bit more descriptive when determining what particular version of a program you've cued up. It will say if it's UHD or Dolby Vision, etc. under the program summary page.

The iPhone Netflix app is not as descriptive, but if you follow these instructions in the following order, you will be casting 4K and HDR in no time.

1) Launch the Netflix app. ( iPhone or tablet )
2) Tap on the "Cast" icon/button near the top right of the display. You will be prompted to choose a device to cast to. Obviously choose your TV.
3) When successfully connected, the TV screen will display the Netflix logo and the words "Ready to Cast".
4) Tap on the search icon/button. ( Upper right of screen on app. Looks like a magnifying glass. )
5) Type either "UHD" for 4K, or "HDR" for Dolby Vision in the search box. You will see a list of program thumbnails.
6) Tap on a program thumbnail of your choice, and then tap the "play" button. If you selected a Dolby Vision program, you will see the DV logo pop up under the % load on the TV screen.

NOTES: The list of HDR content is much shorter than UHD. House of Cards is in 4K. If you use the SmartCast app to get the Display Info, it will take 10-15 seconds to show 4K resolution. Netflix ramps up the streaming speed gradually.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 02-21-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #7853 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that. Im sure he wont use this stuff because he's not really into the whole "movie experience" and it makes me super jealous. He's got this outstanding piece of equipment and just isnt interested in taking full advantage of it. He already has a 2014 B6 4k and I try to encourage him to really dive into it and he would enjoy it more than out of the box

Some folks are just that way. Probably would be just as happy with a HiSense. Thought - buy him a HiSense, and trade him for the OLED!!
post #7854 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nooooooo, oh well. Just trying to help a friend out that grabbed one from his local hhgregg when they had their going out of bussiness sale. Half off, lucky bastard.

If you really want to feel jealousy, check this out: I am being sent - for free - a 2016 65" LG E6 OLED. I work with a company that supplies the TV's and testing equipment for the ISF training classes. Basically, the students calibrate the TV's, and then they are boxed up and sent to the next class, reset and calibrated again. They have 300-400 hours on them. The E6's are being replaced with new E7's. I called dibs on one of the E6's. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.
rjhseven and wlp3D like this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 02-21-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #7855 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

INFO: The Android version of the Netflix app ( comes with the tablet ) is a bit more descriptive when determining what particular version of a program you've cued up. It will say if it's UHD or Dolby Vision, etc. under the program summary page.

The iPhone Netflix app is not as descriptive, but if you follow these instructions in the following order, you will be casting 4K and HDR in no time.

2) Tap on the "Cast" icon/button near the top right of the display. You will be prompted to choose a device to cast to. Obviously choose your TV.
3) When successfully connected, the TV screen will display the Netflix logo and the words "Ready to Cast".
4) Tap on the search icon/button. ( Upper right of screen on app. Looks like a magnifying glass. )
5) Type either "UHD" for 4K, or "HDR" for Dolby Vision in the search box. You will see a list of program thumbnails.
6) Tap on a program thumbnail of your choice, and then tap the "play" button. If you selected a Dolby Vision program, you will see the DV logo pop up under the % load on the TV screen.

NOTES: The list of HDR content is much shorter than UHD. House of Cards is in 4K. If you use the SmartCast app to get the Display Info, it will take 10-15 seconds to show 4K resolution. Netflix ramps up the streaming speed gradually.
And also make sure that you have upgraded your Netflix plan
rjhseven and sonoftumble like this.

Twitch stream: twitch.tv/enemyex
Xbox Live GT: Enemy EX
PSN: EnemyX
post #7856 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help! It worked! 4K through casting. However, I had no sound. Changed input on my receiver to TV and turned Speakers On setting to:Auto to get tinny TV sound. How do you get Dolby sound using your casting technique? TIA.

post #7857 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help! It worked! 4K through casting. However, I had no sound. Changed input on my receiver to TV and turned Speakers On setting to:Auto to get tinny TV sound. How do you get Dolby sound using your casting technique? TIA.
I use the optical digital audio ( TOSLink ) port on the TV to my receiver. Works great.
rjhseven likes this.
post #7858 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use the optical digital audio ( TOSLink ) port on the TV to my receiver. Works great.
I also have the 2015 M60-C3 that I can't get 4K to play on no matter what I do-I've spent hours. Does anyone know if this set is compatible with Smart Cast app or just casting 4K by the way sonoftumble so graciously shared his time to tell me about.

post #7859 of 10263 Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also have the 2015 M60-C3 that I can't get 4K to play on no matter what I do-I've spent hours. Does anyone know if this set is compatible with Smart Cast app or just casting 4K by the way sonoftumble so graciously shared his time to tell me about.
I think that @The Coolest has a 2015 M. He might be able to provide better info. As far as I know, the 2015 M's are 4K TV's, and they are not Smartcast capable.
post #7860 of 10263 Old 06-04-2017, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a M55-C2, and I use it often to stream from Netflix. I've got no problem with 4K from Netflix, nor Amazon (last time I tried). YouTube is limited to 1080P on that TV as it doesn't support VP9.
If it can't hit 4K it's possible that it has problems getting the bandwidth it requires over wifi. 1080P only requires about 5mbps, 4K about x3-4 that.
I'd suggest connecting the TV with an ethernet cable to the router and see if it improves things for you.
sonoftumble likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page