Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8101 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Member
 
farzad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This helps me alot. M70-D3 is $400 cheaper than the E3 right now and 99% of the content I'm viewing is streaming. Sounds like the D3 will serve me just fine and my bank account will appreciate saving the cash. Thank you.
farzad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8102 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,869
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post
I'm sorry if this ground has been trodden but I've scoured this thread as best I can. Does anyone have a comparison or opinion about which is the better set


the older M70-D3 (available at Best Buy)

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

or the M70-E3 (available direct through Vizio)

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m70e3.html

both are available at the same time right now so I'm interested in opinions / trade offs
In short, the 2016 model is probably better for SDR, and it's better for non-HDR gaming due tot the low input-lag HDMI 5 port.
For HDR as preference, I'd go with the 2017 series.
Or the P65 if you can find one for a similar price, which is better than both of them.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is offline  
post #8103 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Member
 
surf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post
This helps me alot. M70-D3 is $400 cheaper than the E3 right now and 99% of the content I'm viewing is streaming. Sounds like the D3 will serve me just fine and my bank account will appreciate saving the cash. Thank you.
Honestly, I got this tv (m70-d3) as a hold me over tv, and been beyond impressed with it. Yeah some of the others are better setup for gaming, but I don't game so any advantages there with other sets mean nothing to me..... am I the only 35 yr old not into games lol? Though I did find my old NES and ****load of games packed up at my mothers and want to hook it up for the hell of it lol.

I just got a Shield TV and my buddy is like oh man so many good games.. I'm like I only got it for Kodi, Amazon 4k streaming, and eventually NAS server setup. Curious to see if there's a difference between casting netflix and using netflix on Shield as everything once setup will feed into my receiver which passes through 4k. Casting Blacklist on this set is f'n amazing, pic quality is razor sharp.

Only negative of this set is no Amazon app, so you either have to have FireTV/Stick or Shield since it has Amazon now, and Shield destroys FireTV let alone the weak stick (have one).
sonoftumble likes this.

Last edited by surf1; 06-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
surf1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8104 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post
This helps me alot. M70-D3 is $400 cheaper than the E3 right now and 99% of the content I'm viewing is streaming. Sounds like the D3 will serve me just fine and my bank account will appreciate saving the cash. Thank you.
I had the chance to return my D3 to Costco but decided to keep it.

EDIT: Glad I did.
EliFTW likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #8105 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Member
 
farzad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1 View Post
Honestly, I got this tv (m70-d3) as a hold me over tv, and been beyond impressed with it. Yeah some of the others are better setup for gaming, but I don't game so any advantages there with other sets mean nothing to me..... am I the only 35 yr old not into games lol? Though I did find my old NES and ****load of games packed up at my mothers and want to hook it up for the hell of it lol.

I just got a Shield TV and my buddy is like oh man so many good games.. I'm like I only got it for Kodi, Amazon 4k streaming, and eventually NAS server setup. Curious to see if there's a difference between casting netflix and using netflix on Shield as everything once setup will feed into my receiver which passes through 4k. Casting Blacklist on this set is f'n amazing, pic quality is razor sharp.

Only negative of this set is no Amazon app, so you either have to have FireTV/Stick or Shield since it has Amazon now, and Shield destroys FireTV let alone the weak stick (have one).
I have the firestick! No gaming for me. Can anyone explain how the lack of HDR hurt me in the near/mid/long run if I have DirectTV and most of my content for the forseeable future is streaming?
farzad is offline  
post #8106 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1 View Post
...

I just got a Shield TV and my buddy is like oh man so many good games.. I'm like I only got it for Kodi, Amazon 4k streaming, and eventually NAS server setup. Curious to see if there's a difference between casting netflix and using netflix on Shield as everything once setup will feed into my receiver which passes through 4k. Casting Blacklist on this set is f'n amazing, pic quality is razor sharp.

Only negative of this set is no Amazon app, so you either have to have FireTV/Stick or Shield since it has Amazon now, and Shield destroys FireTV let alone the weak stick (have one).
I have been considering the Shield to replace my Roku in the bedroom (Roku's UI has improved a bit, but a lot of the apps still have an ugly and primitive UI compared to Apple TV). Android is not as elegant as iOS, but it does 4k The Shield has Amazon, right?

The only thing that is stopping me is that the Shield lacks Dolby Vision (as does every other streamer) and my understanding is that the M series is not very good with HDR10, but does better with Dolby Vision.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #8107 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 240
@farzad @Ryan1 There are plenty of streaming options you can pay for that will allow you to watch HDR programming. Like signing up for the Netflix plan. Buying VUDU movies, etc. You can also buy a ROKU P+ or Ultra or a Shield and use that to stream Amazon HDR programs. Firestick as of now is not HDR compatible. Or if you have a capable BR player. I pretty much do the same thing as you want to do. I have only one 4k/UHD HDR movie and thats Planet Earth II along with my XB1S. I'm still a redbox guy and I'm good with BR media and the XB1S upscales nicely.

M Series can do both DV and HDR10. Which one is better is debatable but most lean towards DV. But Amazon programs in HDR look stunning on my display.
Ryan1 and sonoftumble like this.
wmarkw is offline  
post #8108 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post
I'm sorry if this ground has been trodden but I've scoured this thread as best I can. Does anyone have a comparison or opinion about which is the better set


the older M70-D3 (available at Best Buy)

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

or the M70-E3 (available direct through Vizio)

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m70e3.html

both are available at the same time right now so I'm interested in opinions / trade offs
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post
This helps me alot. M70-D3 is $400 cheaper than the E3 right now and 99% of the content I'm viewing is streaming. Sounds like the D3 will serve me just fine and my bank account will appreciate saving the cash. Thank you.
It's really going to depend on what you want out of a TV. If your main focus is SDR movies/gaming D3. HDR E3 many seem to downplay the how much a difference WCG and brightness make. You want the best of SDR and HDR get a P. All 3 tvs are great choices just pick one based on your wants. You could even consider 2017 E if you just want a good TV and save even more money.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #8109 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
just leave it on then?? not sure what the issue is here lately for UHD Full Color understanding. If you are using a XB1S or a ROKU P+ or Ultra going IN to HDMI One then the UHD FULL has to be on.

@shoman94 beat me to it. Good post.
The problem here is that the vizio blank screens when I connect both of these devices through my NR555 receiver. and since HDMI 1 is the ONLY ARC port on the TV I'm kind of screwed if I want HDR and surround sound.
iotapi322 is offline  
post #8110 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
In short, the 2016 model is probably better for SDR, and it's better for non-HDR gaming due tot the low input-lag HDMI 5 port.
For HDR as preference, I'd go with the 2017 series.
Or the P65 if you can find one for a similar price, which is better than both of them.


Isn't the new firmware equals 2016 and 2017 models , atkeast M series 2016 i consider better than 2017 as it has 64 dimming zones compared to 2017


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ssarava9 is offline  
post #8111 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by iotapi322 View Post
The problem here is that the vizio blank screens when I connect both of these devices through my NR555 receiver. and since HDMI 1 is the ONLY ARC port on the TV I'm kind of screwed if I want HDR and surround sound.
What are you using for cables?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #8112 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Not sure why anyone would not be HDR fan?
Anyway, if gaming is not a concern, I'd get the M series.
1080P will look great on it. I also think that 720P content looks just fine on it as well. It would depend more on the way your source is setup and the actual quality of the signal than what brand you get.


We have very less content for HDR and my normal usage is only 4k and 1080p and believe M Series 2016 should be good over 2017 and it's double the dimming zones


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ssarava9 is offline  
post #8113 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,869
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@ssarava9

That's a completely legitimate choice, especially when you also save some money in process.
I currently have a M55-C2 (2015 mode) which I want to upgrade to an HDR capable set. It also has 32 zones, 60Hz panel and I don't game on my TVs. So I decided to either go for the M55-E0 or the TCL P series.
I think that in real content it still performs great, even with 32 zones, and I have good HDR capability as a priority, thus in my case the 2017 M series makes a lot more sense.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is offline  
post #8114 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssarava9 View Post
We have very less content for HDR and my normal usage is only 4k and 1080p and believe M Series 2016 should be good over 2017 and it's double the dimming zones


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go for the 2016 M. You will be able to notice a big difference between 4K and HDR if playing the right source. So you will have some form of an HDR display.
Ryan1 likes this.
wmarkw is offline  
post #8115 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Go for the 2016 M. You will be able to notice a big difference between 4K and HDR if playing the right source. So you will have some form of an HDR display.
I'm surprised that people would want 32 extra zones inlieu of wider color gamut and a lot brighter HDR.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #8116 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Go for the 2016 M. You will be able to notice a big difference between 4K and HDR if playing the right source. So you will have some form of an HDR display.
I'm surprised that people would want 32 extra zones inlieu of wider color gamut and a lot brighter HDR.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I don't think it always simple as double the zones double the performance. Case in point the main reasons the P scored better than the 2016 M is it was brighter, had WCG and higher native contrast. The P did score higher in local dimming due to the increased zones but it wasn't by much.

HDR on the 2017 M is not just a little better than 2016. Would I like more zones absolutely but I feel I gained more than I lost.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #8117 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'm surprised that people would want 32 extra zones inlieu of wider color gamut and a lot brighter HDR.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
More zones equals better pq, I have m70-d3, and an e6p, and have to say that the difference in HDR between the two sets is not that dramatically different...from my eyes at least the 2016 M, is a solid choice, and HDR to me works just fine.
sonoftumble likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #8118 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'm surprised that people would want 32 extra zones inlieu of wider color gamut and a lot brighter HDR.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
More zones equals better pq, I have m70-d3, and an e6p, and have to say that the difference in HDR between the two sets is not that dramatically different...from my eyes at least the 2016 M, is a solid choice, and HDR to me works just fine.
I own 2017 M and 2016 and sitting side by side there is a very noticeable difference when watching HDR content. I'm not knocking the 2016 M it's great set that's why I still have it, but it just doesn't take full advantage of what HDR has to offer.
shoman94 and The Coolest like this.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #8119 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
I own 2017 M and 2016 and sitting side by side there is a very noticeable difference when watching HDR content. I'm not knocking the 2016 M it's great set that's why I still have it, but it just doesn't take full advantage of what HDR has to offer.
Yeah to me HDR can get tricky, where as I'm not to concerned with how bright the set can get, I'm more concerned as to how dark it can get, and being that the 2016 does this very well, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance...and not to be smug or rude...but neither the 16 or 17 holds a candle to an oled simply because ofn viewing angles and true black, however like I said in my previous post the difference in HDR between my sets is not jaw dropping. People have their preferences in regards to hdr some like it bright where your face is melting off or get eye strain, others like me believe that the darker the set gets the better pq you will get including HDR.
sonoftumble and EliFTW like this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #8120 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
The only thing that is stopping me is that the Shield lacks Dolby Vision (as does every other streamer) and my understanding is that the M series is not very good with HDR10, but does better with Dolby Vision.
With my Sammy K8500, I have been watching more HDR-10 ( Blu-ray and Amazon streaming ) partly because I don't really have any other choice. Personally, I'm having a hard time seeing any major difference - if any - watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix vs. HDR-10 on Amazon. I realize on paper that DV should be better, but with all the compression required to deliver content through streaming or casting, it could be that DV won't really show its advantages until DV capable Blu-rays and their players start hitting the market.

Ahh, the problems we have to deal with when living on the edge of the envelope!

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #8121 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On the topic of the 16 and 17 M series:

I briefly had the 16 and traded across for the 17 since it was the same price. Mind you they both were the 55" option. I honestly can't notice a huge difference between the two sets post "calibration". If anything the E0 is definitely a bit brighter and and more crisp than the D0. The biggest difference in hardware is all the 17 Ms are 60hz VA panels on all sizes. With the older larger models you do get a bump in hz and the extra HDMI port w/low latency (which I am currently missing and may suffer from if I switch to PC). I believe it has the larger bit panel (10?) and, hardware wise, is more streamlined for the future.

Overall the differences I find are minimal and anyone will be happy with either set. But I notice a brighter more defined image with the E0 when watching UHD/HDR content.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind giving that new TCL set a try. Supposedly it's supposed to create some waves due to price and the image being 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited by kapp_badbloodz; 06-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.
kapp_badbloodz is offline  
post #8122 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
I don't think it always simple as double the zones double the performance. Case in point the main reasons the P scored better than the 2016 M is it was brighter, had WCG and higher native contrast. The P did score higher in local dimming due to the increased zones but it wasn't by much.

HDR on the 2017 M is not just a little better than 2016. Would I like more zones absolutely but I feel I gained more than I lost.
My thoughts exactly. I owned a 2015 m75 before my P75 and I
Was happy with it then....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
More zones equals better pq, I have m70-d3, and an e6p, and have to say that the difference in HDR between the two sets is not that dramatically different...from my eyes at least the 2016 M, is a solid choice, and HDR to me works just fine.
Have you used them side by side also?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #8123 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I owned a 2015 m75 before my P75 and I
Was happy with it then....

Have you used them side by side also?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
No, cause I'm not moving my e6 for anything, but I trust my eyes.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #8124 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
No, cause I'm not moving my e6 for anything, but I trust my eyes.
I was talking about the 16 and 17 m series.... Sorry.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #8125 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I was talking about the 16 and 17 m series.... Sorry.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Oh my bad as well, in my case I was talking about my 65e6p, and my M70-D3.
shoman94 likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #8126 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
I own 2017 M and 2016 and sitting side by side there is a very noticeable difference when watching HDR content. I'm not knocking the 2016 M it's great set that's why I still have it, but it just doesn't take full advantage of what HDR has to offer.
Yeah to me HDR can get tricky, where as I'm not to concerned with how bright the set can get, I'm more concerned as to how dark it can get, and being that the 2016 does this very well, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance...and not to be smug or rude...but neither the 16 or 17 holds a candle to an oled simply because ofn viewing angles and true black, however like I said in my previous post the difference in HDR between my sets is not jaw dropping. People have their preferences in regards to hdr some like it bright where your face is melting off or get eye strain, others like me believe that the darker the set gets the better pq you will get including HDR.
I completely agree with you on the oled, but price per inch is also a lot higher. The 17 is not face melting it's a little brighter in full screen HDR than the 16 it gets the small windows considerably brighter which is how HDR is supposed to work. PQ score on rtings is slightly higher on the 17.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #8127 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
I completely agree with you on the oled, but price per inch is also a lot higher. The 17 is not face melting it's a little brighter in full screen HDR than the 16 it gets the small windows considerably brighter which is how HDR is supposed to work. PQ score on rtings is slightly higher on the 17.
Lol, I gotcha, its just for some reason certain manufacturers think brighter is better...plus we all tend to a degree to defend our purchases...in any case the 16 and 17 are great choices...never owned a vizio before and I'm quite impressed at the pq offered for the money!
sonoftumble likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #8128 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Oh my bad as well, in my case I was talking about my 65e6p, and my M70-D3.
You have a 65" E6 & an M70-D3? LOL! I have the same pair. I've had them side by side, and the E6 is phenomenal!! The two attachments basically showcase the difference between HDR with SCG ( Standard Color Gamut - I think I just coined a new term ) and WCG. Notice the red in the dragon.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 02-21-2018 at 07:55 PM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #8129 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Lol, I gotcha, its just for some reason certain manufacturers think brighter is better...plus we all tend to a degree to defend our purchases...in any case the 16 and 17 are great choices...never owned a vizio before and I'm quite impressed at the pq offered for the money!
Yep. Peak brightness is a momentary explosion. It might melt your face on a brighter rated TV, but most of our viewing is in the 75% or lower range.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #8130 of 10263 Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
You have a 65" E6 & an M70-D3? LOL! I have the same pair. I've had them side by side, and the E6 is phenomenal!! The two attachments basically showcase the difference between HDR with SCG ( Standard Color Gamut - I think I just coined a new term ) and WCG. Notice the red in the dragon.
Lol yup, I had a f8500 and sold it, and the vizio replaced it. I don't dare move my e6 and vizio side by side cause I'm too clumsy lol! I will agree that the colors are outstanding on my lg, but the vizio at least imho comes in at a close second!


Also I might add...I'm just not a fan of super bright tv's, unless they can give me great blacks...and to me on the led side the top of the line Sony's handle them well, but way out of my price range after the oled purchase...with both those sets I could get a nice used car!
sonoftumble likes this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 06-16-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Cam1977 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off