Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #61 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The only IPS in the M series is the 60" from what ive heard.
EJSLP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
That's not true. Only the 60" is an IPS panel.
Ahh ok, that was my mistake, that was the model I was looking at, so I assumed that they all went IPS this year.

This is good news for me anyways, the 60" is the size I really wanted.

Can't wait to get the new 2016 model.

Vizio doesn't seem to have it available on their website yet, when are they supposed to be available? I'm in Ohio/USA if it matters.
post #63 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreywizard View Post
Ahh ok, that was my mistake, that was the model I was looking at, so I assumed that they all went IPS this year.

This is good news for me anyways, the 60" is the size I really wanted.

Can't wait to get the new 2016 model.

Vizio doesn't seem to have it available on their website yet, when are they supposed to be available? I'm in Ohio/USA if it matters.

The 60" isn't currently available at all right now. I am in Ohio as well and I have checked with a few of my local stores.

Vizio P65-F1 - Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One X - Playstation 4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

I bought a P65 last week but would like to have a 70". I absolutely love the p-series but wonder if it would be worth giving up the extra benefits of the P-series to gain 5" of display for the same price. What do you guys think that have seen both? Will both sets be updated to HDR10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by volblood; 06-26-2016 at 09:43 PM.
post #65 of 10290 Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Yes.

Quote:
Also do the new 2016 M series have USB 3.0 in the back that could be used to power things like a firestick?
post #66 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
M70 on Costco.ca

$3199....

An extra 650 on top of the exchange rate. Last years M had an MSRP of 2500

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #67 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by volblood View Post
I bought a P65 last week but would like to have a 70". I absolutely love the p-series but wonder if it would be worth giving up the extra benefits of the P-series to gain 5" of display for the same price. What do you guys think that have seen both? Will both sets be updated to HDR10?

I was debating on the P65 vs M70 and went with the latter as I had my mind set on a 70" for my particular set up. I love it. Dont think you can go wrong with either. Spec/Tech wise the P65 wins but to my eyes the M70 has a rock solid pic. I dont think comparing the 2 will give a night and day difference. And per all the screen shots of Vizio tweets the M series will get the HDR10 update this fall.
post #68 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any guesses as to why the M70 isn't on the Vizio website anymore?
post #69 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
M70 on Costco.ca

$3199....

Is that a price error? If not that is crazy!!!
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #70 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volblood View Post

Im looking to buy one or the other this week and was wondering the same thing. Honestly, will I be able to tell the difference between 128 active zones and 64 active zones? Tech wise, that appears to be the only difference between the two models and the fact that the M series uses up about twice the amount of power that the P-series does. The latter difference is a non-factor considering I'm upgrading from a 9 year old projection DLP.
post #71 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I noticed that. Peculiar, but probably meaningless. It's still showing on the Canada site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneUnknown View Post
Any guesses as to why the M70 isn't on the Vizio website anymore?
post #72 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
M70 on Costco.ca

$3199....

Not going to lie, I'm very disappointed in the pricing.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #73 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Power: P vs. M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd79 View Post
Im looking to buy one or the other this week and was wondering the same thing. Honestly, will I be able to tell the difference between 128 active zones and 64 active zones? Tech wise, that appears to be the only difference between the two models and the fact that the M series uses up about twice the amount of power that the P-series does. The latter difference is a non-factor considering I'm upgrading from a 9 year old projection DLP.
Take those power consumption numbers with a grain of salt. I measured M70d3, watts drawn varies wildly depending on content displayed. I doubt the P really uses only half the power, P65 vs. M70.

The M70 is impressively good to my eye, quite uniform. I think low bandwidth but reasonable bitrate 720P/1080P looks damn good.

Does +5" diag beat twice the dimming zones and wcg? That is the question.
post #74 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
I understand that's what Matt said, and far be it from me to not trust him on that, but I guess my point is, we'll never know for sure. That's why I highlighted the parts of Matt's quote where he explains the biggest differences between the M and the P. To me, the difference between 8-bit + dither and true 10-bit would have been worth mentioning.
If no one could ever distinguish a difference why would it ever matter? The lack of 100% 10 BIT processing is much less of a concern than the lack of WCG.
Chuck666 likes this.
post #75 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
HDR, Thoughts, Etc.

As a first-time owner of both a 4k and HDR set w/ the M70-D3, I would love to know -- from anyone who has experience with other sets -- how the HDR in particular compares with the P and any other comparable sets on the market.

I logged some time with both Marco Polo and The Do Over, and while the picture definitely looked nice, I can't say I felt any distinguishable difference between the picture quality/colors compared to other regular 4k content. Are these just poor reference examples or is this a shortcoming of the M's less than ideal specs to support HDR?

One thing that's been bugging me that I could use some help with -- some Youtube 4k content will play no problem while I cannot seem to get others to go beyond HD. I have double checked on my PC to confirm they are indeed 4k, but alas, no dice on the M70. The content that plays in 4k will always play in 4k so I know it's not a random connection issue. It has to do with the videos themselves.

One final thought, again from a new owner - if at any point you are wondering why the picture isn't crazy bright and colorful like you see on the showroom floor as I've seen in some consumer reviews out there, you just need to switch over to 'Vibrant' and tinker with the settings there. TVs are not calibrated for home theater use in-store, they are configured to pop, dazzle, and sell product and are never reflective of the way you would set it to watch an ordinary movie or tv show. I think a lot of people seem to forget this when they get it home and calibrate it based on settings from home theater aficionados.
post #76 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd79 View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking. At what point do our eyes go enough is enough??
post #77 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairpost View Post
Take those power consumption numbers with a grain of salt. I measured M70d3, watts drawn varies wildly depending on content displayed. I doubt the P really uses only half the power, P65 vs. M70.
P65 vs M65 is 122W vs 150W -- so not that big of a difference. Still kind of weird that the less powerful set requires more power though, eh? Maybe it's needed to pump out extra light where there are less lights? (Idiot talking here, don't mind me.)

On a related note, anyone know why the M70 has completely disappeared from the available sizes on Vizio.com? http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries.html

The product link is still live if you have it and you can order form it as it's in-stock, but it's not showing up on the M product page for some reason.

Last edited by shanedlm; 06-27-2016 at 11:25 AM.
post #78 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedlm View Post
P65 vs M65 is 122W vs 150W -- so not that big of a difference. Still kind of weird that the less powerful set requires more power though, eh? Maybe it's needed to pump out extra light where there are less lights? (Idiot talking here, don't mind me.)

On a related note, anyone know why the M70 has completely disappeared from the available sizes on Vizio.com? http://www.vizio.com/m-series

The product link is still live if you have it and you can order form it as it's in-stock, but it's not showing up on the M product page for some reason.
I see the M70 just fine. The 65 is gone though?? I clicked your first link and scrolled all the way to the bottom and it shows 80/70/55. Then click the shop now arrow and it pulls the product link page. But yes its gone from here: http://www.vizio.com/mseries.html
post #79 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:

On a related note, anyone know why the M70 has completely disappeared from the available sizes on Vizio.com? http://www.vizio.com/m-series

I suspect they didn't use the same image (50% white or similar) to measure power draw across display sizes. They all share the same proc, I believe, so the additional LED elements must make the difference. I confirmed my M70D3 consumes <0.5w when 'off/sleep', it pulls ~300W peak during startup, 10 secs or so, then varies from <50W to ~250W depending on content (brightness). Average ~150W if I were to hazard a guess. I didn't watch it for more than few seconds though...it bounces around wildly.

(Sarcasm) Regarding the website no showing the 2016 M-series, it is now obsolete as it's been available for more than 2 days now. Probably a stock issue as I bet Coscto US ordered all available from Vizio. Even though you can still add it to cart, I bet it's not available to ship.

On another note, when I powered up the M70D3 this morning, the display started up as normal, displayed an image (Roku sleep screen), then appeared to turn itself off and back on. It was just as quick as a normal shut off and back on so I don't think it was a full-blown crash. Or I could have my Harmony remote script messed up as I used the discrete on/off codes...
post #80 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
I see the M70 just fine. The 65 is gone though?? I clicked your first link and scrolled all the way to the bottom and it shows 80/70/55. Then click the shop now arrow and it pulls the product link page. But yes its gone from here: http://www.vizio.com/mseries.html
Ah crap sorry, I copied and pasted the wrong link. Yes I meant this one: http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries.html
post #81 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
On another note, when I powered up the M70D3 this morning, the display started up as normal, displayed an image (Roku sleep screen), then appeared to turn itself off and back on. It was just as quick as a normal shut off and back on so I don't think it was a full-blown crash. Or I could have my Harmony remote script messed up as I used the discrete on/off codes...
I haven't experienced any power-up/down issues BUT I did have a weird glitch yesterday when streaming where half the screen was one picture setting and the other have was another. Cycling between picture settings cleared it right up, but I definitely had a brief panic attack!
post #82 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:

One thing that's been bugging me that I could use some help with -- some Youtube 4k content will play no problem while I cannot seem to get others to go beyond HD. I have double checked on my PC to confirm they are indeed 4k, but alas, no dice on the M70. The content that plays in 4k will always play in 4k so I know it's not a random connection issue. It has to do with the videos themselves.
I experienced the same with Youtube, yesterday. I'm also a first time 4K (and HDR) display owner. My ARC doesn't seem to work back to my receiver 25ft. away (behind the wall from display and back in a closet AV cabinet), so I don't believe I'll cast much of anything. I'd rather add a 4K/HDR Roku or other in the future than waste time with ARC issues/troubleshooting.

The 4K content I viewed on Youtube looked great, haven't paid for any of the upgrades to Netflix or VUDU to see HDR (only DV at this time, right?), some 4K Youtube would not go past 1080P. Could have been network congestion, I didn't test, as it's much less engaging without sound.

Last edited by lairpost; 06-27-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #83 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4stuff View Post
100% agree. I am interested in this TV for the cast feature.... But I've been using HTPCs for 10 years now... And also have been using chromecast and Roku's since they came out. I can see it taking a bit for some people to get used to- especially for non-tech people or older people like my parents age. There's no way my parents would like the tablet based remote. It's like in the 70s and 80s when tv remotes started to become more common place.... They were confusing to my grandparents at first (100 button remotes for tv, receiver, vcr, etc).

As for not getting true 4K content- are you using wifi or Ethernet connection? If using wifi, how strong of wifi signal is the tv getting? Is your wifi 802.11ac or N? I had to relocate my AC router to a more central rotation and ended up just running an Ethernet cable from my router to my main HTPC.
Also, in case you haven't already-you need to upgrade to the Netflix 4k plan...

Last edited by pos1121; 06-27-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #84 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Android tablet screen sensitivity

I'm totally for the tablet to control the TV but the included one screen sensitivity and general responsiveness is severely lacking.

Within the Vizio app, attempting to move the sliders with a finger with any semblance of accuracy is an exercise in frustration.

Are there any tablet settings that improve the touch aspect? Attempting to precisely touch, and then hold the button to adjust the sliders seems exceedingly difficult to move to a precise number or anything but a random jump 6-10 values up or down.

Perhaps it's the substandard hardware, perhaps it's the programming by Vizio, but it's pretty bad and will turn off many of the non-techies (and even techies shouldn't tolerate this bad of a tablet). It reminds me of the monochrome PalmPilot, from the 90s, touchscreen.

Otherwise the display is fantastic. I think I'll sell/give away the included tablet and stick with iPad/iPhone and Harmony remote. ARC issues prevent me from casting anyway.
RJ_Reda likes this.
post #85 of 10290 Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulsker View Post
The 60" isn't currently available at all right now. I am in Ohio as well and I have checked with a few of my local stores.
Vizio lists this tv for $1250 + 5% off when you sign up for their email so looking at $1170 shipped directly from them - this price is probably going to be hard to beat any where else don't you think? BB, sams, costco etc?

Does anyone know when the 2016 M60" will be available in the US/Ohio?

By the way, the Vizio sound bars are AWESOME in case anyone was considering getting them. I have the 38" 2.1 and love it!
post #86 of 10290 Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Vizio lists this tv for $1250 + 5% off when you sign up for their email so looking at $1170 shipped directly from them - this price is probably going to be hard to beat any where else don't you think? BB, sams, costco etc?

Does anyone know when the 2016 M60" will be available in the US/Ohio?

By the way, the Vizio sound bars are AWESOME in case anyone was considering getting them. I have the 38" 2.1 and love it!
Do you have the new lower profile smart cast model? Was looking into them but dam they are expensive, 400 bucks for the 3.1 model i was looking at.
post #87 of 10290 Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 AM

No, not the newest model. If I can find the 2.1 for a reasonable price I will pick it up.

The 2015 model has a black cloth speaker cover, it seems the 2016 model now has a metal cover, this that correct?

I paid $120 at sams club for the 2.1 so it's going to have to be a screaming deal for me to buy the newest one.
post #88 of 10290 Old 06-28-2016, 01:35 AM

Yup newer ones have a metal finish.
post #89 of 10290 Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M65-D0 Costco Availability

FYI - My Costco in Austin, TX had multiple M70-D3 units in stock (5+). I spoke with one of the Costco guys and he looked up when they would have the M65-D0 in stock, and he said that their depot showed that they were currently being shipped. He expected them to be in the store around the beginning of July for $1449.
post #90 of 10290 Old 06-28-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked: 6545
Quote:
I'm totally for the tablet to control the TV but the included one screen sensitivity and general responsiveness is severely lacking.

Within the Vizio app, attempting to move the sliders with a finger with any semblance of accuracy is an exercise in frustration.

Are there any tablet settings that improve the touch aspect? Attempting to precisely touch, and then hold the button to adjust the sliders seems exceedingly difficult to move to a precise number or anything but a random jump 6-10 values up or down.

Perhaps it's the substandard hardware, perhaps it's the programming by Vizio, but it's pretty bad and will turn off many of the non-techies (and even techies shouldn't tolerate this bad of a tablet). It reminds me of the monochrome PalmPilot, from the 90s, touchscreen.

Otherwise the display is fantastic. I think I'll sell/give away the included tablet and stick with iPad/iPhone and Harmony remote. ARC issues prevent me from casting anyway.
I don't own any of the M series TVs, nor do I have that particular tablet, but...and this may be the stupid question of the week...did the tablet come with a clear protector over the screen? If so, did you remove it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page