Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #961 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if this is the right place but thought it would be worth a shot. I bought a 70in m series last night and so far so good but while I was at my local best buy the salesperson told me about an open item 75in p-series they had for under 2900. I guess my question is, would you all spend the extra 1000 or so for the p series 75?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Initial impressions of M70-D3

Hey all - thanks to everybody for the great info and advice here. Below are my initial impressions of the M70-D3 which arrived Friday afternoon.

This is my third HDTV for this space, my mancave, and my 4th Vizio. Replaced a 2010 Mits 65 inch DLP.

I ordered direct from Vizio and it went smoothly overall, but delivery tracking wasn't up to Amazon standards. Knew this might be the case but wanted to deal directly w/Vizio in case I got a bad panel, liked the 5% off coupon, and figured I wouldn't be charged sales tax here in Minnesota (though I was, grr).

The freight company handed off to a local shipper which gave me a window, then called and delayed it, then called 1/2 hour before the first time they gave me saying they were on their way to deliver. NBD, but not ideal.

The unit looks and feels solid, setup was easy, even the tablet pairing. After asking for advice here for my center channel I put a shelf on the back wall and it was the right choice. Went with the Omnimount ESB.

I have had no issues at all with the picture/panel. It's fantastic, knew it would be compared to my old Mits DLT. Surprisingly, it seems not much bigger than my 65.

I have no hardware capable of driving 4K to the display, so I'm using the tablet for all that and it's worked well. Jessica Jones in 4K is wonderful. I streamed Marco Polo in DV HDR and it looked awesome. Web video in 4K is noticeably better than 1080p.

Overall it's just brighter, crisper, with far better colors. Blacks are deep. Whites are bright, but not always perfect. I'm running the rtings calibration and also the standard setting. I could live with either.

I like casting. I think it works better than futzing with a TV remote and going through menus.

One thing I hadn't seen mentioned - when casting you can pause using the simple remote.

Very pleased with my choice. Thanks again to all for the great info.
scottvamp likes this.
post #963 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Hdr

Continuing just a bit from the above, I hadn't seen HDR in my home before (probably have in a store though I can't recall) and it's impressive.

There's just much better color differentiation. In the Marco Polo scene I watched all the characters are wearing shades of grey/brown/black. It's easier to see the shading and subtle differences. Much more lifelike. Looking forward to seeing more.

The eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm no great HDR mind, but this is what I see in case someone's in my shoes and curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post
One thing I hadn't seen mentioned - when casting you can pause using the simple remote.
Also, when Netflix finishes one episode, it will say press play to go to the next episode, if you pause, then Play. it will actually go. Otherwise play does nothing.
post #965 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneUnknown View Post
Also, when Netflix finishes one episode, it will say press play to go to the next episode, if you pause, then Play. it will actually go. Otherwise play does nothing.
Right, noticed that too. Hit the middle play/stop button twice and the next ep launches. Handy.
post #966 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
you don't want to use this as a PC monitor as it doesn't have 4:4:4

Buy the Sony or LG or Samsung as they support 4:4:4
Not true. mpgxsvcd provided evidence that refuted rtings' original claim of no 4:4:4 support. rtings then responded and said that while it's not quite as clear as a true 4:4:4 picture, "It only matters if you will be using it as a PC monitor, 2-3 feet away."

I use my M70 with my PC from 10.5' away and it looks fantastic. Vizio and Sony are the only two manufacturers that put out TVs that can do [email protected], and apparently Sony TVs have "white dashes" in that mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu View Post
I was thinking of buying an M50 for 4k PC gaming. I'm still not sure which HDMI input would be best as most people seem to talk about 1080p. What settings and modes would be recommended?
Thanks!
I use my PC on HDMI5 for the low lag (don't care about HDR). The only thing I do differently with the picture from my normal viewing is turn GLL on.

As stated above, I prefer [email protected] I don't notice momentary frame drops below 120 (whereas I do below 60) and my 1070 should be able to handle anything I throw at it on max settings for quite a while. GPU's just aren't there for 4k gaming yet IMO, not to mention I can't tell the difference at that distance anyway.

If you're dead set on gaming at 4k, use HDMI1 as that is the only other port on the M that supports [email protected] It also gives you the option to play in HDR for games that support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi73 View Post
So forgive my ignorance, but how do i get the test patters to work? Every time i'm in the picture > color calibration > calibration tests > Flat test pattern and i select an option, it automatically unselects the option and a note shows "no display test pattern with hdmi-5"

What can i do to get some testing done to see how my panel checks out?
Switch to any other HDMI input with an active signal and it'll work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
I was just at a Costco, and the M70-D3 that I bought two weeks ago at $1950 has been reduced by another $200, and is now $1750. (Costco customers have thirty days from the original purchase to get a price-match refund.)
Dude, thank you so much!!! All I need to do is bring my receipt to the warehouse and this deal gets even better!
post #967 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi all,

I have read through half of this thread, but don't have the time to read through the other half before I want to set up my new TV.

I bought the M65-D0 from Costco over the weekend and wanted some input for setup, please. I will review the calibration settings later, but my main concern is getting the soundbar/system defined proper.

A little background, I currently have a M43-C1 and will be moving things from that setup, to the new TV. I have 1 PS4 going to the "gaming" port, with the Dish receiver and a Sony BDPS6500 (4k upscaling blu-ray player.....which looks great on my M43-C1 by the way) going to other HDMI Inputs. The M43-C1 has apps, so if Amazon and Netflix can stream 4k, they do, no issues. I have no soundbar, so everything is coming out through the TV speakers.

I will be rearranging my current setup to work on the new TV. I have a Dish Hopper, Apple TV and PS4 running through my Yamaha YSP2200 7.1 sound bar, then one HDMI to my current TV. I will be adding the Sony BDPS6500 to the mix as well. With "casting", and its inability to flow to a soundbar, unless I use a Vizio Casting Bar, what is the best way to wire things? Since I am not running a UHD player at this point, I shouldn't have any HDCP issues right now, so I don't believe the inputs would matter, but I could be wrong.

Does it make sense to continue to run things through the soundbar, then add toslink connection for "casting", or some other configuration? I'll control the switching with the Harmony 650 remote.

Any input and insight would help and be appreciated.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #968 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
Hi all,

I have read through half of this thread, but don't have the time to read through the other half before I want to set up my new TV.

I bought the M65-D0 from Costco over the weekend and wanted some input for setup, please. I will review the calibration settings later, but my main concern is getting the soundbar/system defined proper.

A little background, I currently have a M43-C1 and will be moving things from that setup, to the new TV. I have 1 PS4 going to the "gaming" port, with the Dish receiver and a Sony BDPS6500 (4k upscaling blu-ray player.....which looks great on my M43-C1 by the way) going to other HDMI Inputs. The M43-C1 has apps, so if Amazon and Netflix can stream 4k, they do, no issues. I have no soundbar, so everything is coming out through the TV speakers.

I will be rearranging my current setup to work on the new TV. I have a Dish Hopper, Apple TV and PS4 running through my Yamaha YSP2200 7.1 sound bar, then one HDMI to my current TV. I will be adding the Sony BDPS6500 to the mix as well. With "casting", and its inability to flow to a soundbar, unless I use a Vizio Casting Bar, what is the best way to wire things? Since I am not running a UHD player at this point, I shouldn't have any HDCP issues right now, so I don't believe the inputs would matter, but I could be wrong.

Does it make sense to continue to run things through the soundbar, then add toslink connection for "casting", or some other configuration? I'll control the switching with the Harmony 650 remote.

Any input and insight would help and be appreciated.
You definitely want to use a toslink cable for casting, assuming your soundbar supports this option. Set the toslink port as your input for the Harmony remote.
post #969 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
Anyone know what inputs work with hdr10, post firmware update? Trying to run Deadpool on my xbox one s. 4k works but but hdr does not using HDMI 2.

It's a pain to test HDMI 1 , as the TV is on the wall .

Update: so I lifted the TV forward, "performed the old one handed reach around" and jiggled my cords into the tight slot. Boom HDMI 1 came alive and the colours screamed with pleasure to my eyes. HDR10 works Hdmi port 1, with subsampling turned on.

Now this really puts a kink in the setup, as I need a new 4k receiver now.

Side note, hdr10 on Deadpool looks slightly better.... Thinking of upgrading to a P55 from my M55 due to the mediocre HDR

Did you end up returning it? I am on the same boat as you just not sure if the p series is that much of an upgrade over the m.

post #970 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
You definitely want to use a toslink cable for casting, assuming your soundbar supports this option. Set the toslink port as your input for the Harmony remote.

Thanks. I was thinking, for now, that was the case. The single input will work fine IF I don't have calibration issues from different sources like my M43-C1. I have a different calibration at every source due to channels on Dish boosting reds or blues.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #971 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigomez09 View Post
Did you end up returning it? I am on the same boat as you just not sure if the p series is that much of an upgrade over the m.

I did start the return process, but the P55 is on order, it will be a few weeks before the swap happens.

From asking the guys with the P55 on this thread, they say it's significant with HDR.

Other than that , it looks like standard contents would be similar results to the M55. If HDR matters to you then do it. If not then the M55 is a good deal.

My justification to the wife was, "I won't be settled unless I get the best I can afford
post #972 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
I did start the return process, but the P55 is on order, it will be a few weeks before the swap happens.

From asking the guys with the P55 on this thread, they say it's significant with HDR.

Other than that , it looks like standard contents would be similar results to the M55. If HDR matters to you then do it. If not then the M55 is a good deal.

My justification to the wife was, "I won't be settled unless I get the best I can afford
Thanks for the quick reply...main reason i bought one of the newer TV's to hook it up with my xbox one s, looks like the best option is the P Series for that.
post #973 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just picked up my M55 at Costco today for $879 ($100 off regular price). Should I be using the same settings as what folks use for the P-series or can someone point me to another place to find them?
post #974 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Reda View Post
Just picked up my M55 at Costco today for $879 ($100 off regular price). Should I be using the same settings as what folks use for the P-series or can someone point me to another place to find them?

People in this forum have started the settings from rings.com work pretty well. I haven't set mine up quite yet, but it will be my starting point.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/viz...-2016/settings

JD

post #975 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
People in this forum have started the settings from rings.com work pretty well. I haven't set mine up quite yet, but it will be my starting point.

Thanks, I actually had that typed out but never posted it (duh) and had looked at those settings in the meantime. Funny though, when I first set up the TV, it and the tablet both needed to be updated so when I attempted to change the settings, some screens were different from those that rtings recommended.

This is a stupid question, but what input should I be using for my PS4 for gaming?

The rtings page has this but I definitely do not have a 5th HDMI input on my TV:

"These are the calibration settings that we used for our review of the Vizio M Series 2016. These settings will work well for everything except for video games. For gaming, you will also need to enable 'Game Low Latency,' and you should also use HDMI 5 to get the lowest possible input lag."

Last edited by RJ_Reda; 08-15-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #976 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a stupid question but I cannot figure it out. I have done some searching I cannot find it. Maybe it is obvious. I am thinking about getting the M70. Earlier in the thread people are watching 4K Netflix . How is this being done if the smart cast only does Hulu and VUDU? I have an iPhone and iPad . If I download the Netflix app on my iPhone how could I Cast this to Vizio television? Same with you tube? How will my iPhone see the Visio TV to cast to through the YouTube app? I would like to see the 4K samples, has my Apple TV and fire stick are older and will not stream 4K
post #977 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New M65 owner here.

So far the set has been great, the picture looks really good. I have watched B V. S in VUDU UHD and it looks amazing.

The two questions I am having is:

How can I tell the resolution the tv is playing in from the remote?

Does anyone else have a problem with the TV turning on randomly or switching to Vudu casting for no reason?

Thanks,
post #978 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can anyone tell me if the M Series supports HDR after latest update ?

a bit confused here as RTings says NO, but Vizio's web site says YES?

Will be using a Samsung 4k player NOT an Xbox One S
post #979 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the M Series supports HDR after latest update ?

a bit confused here as RTings says NO, but Vizio's web site says YES?

Will be using a Samsung 4k player NOT an Xbox One S

Yes.

https://www.avsforum.com/vizio-rolls-...ries-displays/

JD

post #980 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Yes.

https://www.avsforum.com/vizio-rolls-...ries-displays/

can anyone who owns this tv confirm this?
post #981 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Reda View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I actually had that typed out but never posted it (duh) and had looked at those settings in the meantime. Funny though, when I first set up the TV, it and the tablet both needed to be updated so when I attempted to change the settings, some screens were different from those that rtings recommended.

This is a stupid question, but what input should I be using for my PS4 for gaming?

The rtings page has this but I definitely do not have a 5th HDMI input on my TV:

"These are the calibration settings that we used for our review of the Vizio M Series 2016. These settings will work well for everything except for video games. For gaming, you will also need to enable 'Game Low Latency,' and you should also use HDMI 5 to get the lowest possible input lag."
All 4 hdmi ports have the same response time for gaming so any of them will work fine, anyone who bought the 50 or 55inch got shafted on the low latency hdmi port for gaming... That being said, I have mine plugged into hdmi 1 until I get something that can take advantage of the hdmi 2.0 and HDR on that port.
RJ_Reda likes this.
post #982 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
YES
post #983 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigomez09 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place but thought it would be worth a shot. I bought a 70in m series last night and so far so good but while I was at my local best buy the salesperson told me about an open item 75in p-series they had for under 2900. I guess my question is, would you all spend the extra 1000 or so for the p series 75?

Depends on what is important. If HDR with a wide color gamut isn't important then no. To me the reason I opted for the P series over the M series is HDR. The P series has a wide color gamut or 10-bit color so HDR is going to perform and look better. The only reason I got an Xbox One S is for HDR. The P series I think does have twice as many zones so black levels in theory should also be better.

If HDR isn't important to you then its not probably not worth it.
post #984 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Liked: 1
Great threads, with a lot of good tips. Thank you! I'm in a similar boat to many posters:
  • Bought the M70-d3 from Costco, time is running out on returning it. It barely fits in our Toyota Sienna minivan.
  • Like the idea of the M80-d3, the extra 10 inches would be nice, the extra $1700 is debatable.
  • The P75-d3 also sounds interesting, but not sure if I'd notice the color gamut or improved hdr.
  • Samsung only goes up to 75" for $5500 or so.
  • LG has an 86" model with 3D which I heavily want (have a 3d camera), but is $10k and only edge lit.
  • BUT, many people I know have had quality issues with Vizio TV's - green lines or bad picture soon after warrantee expires.

So as I see it, there are only a few reasonable options:
  • Go 80" for now, it's not very often my wife will let me get a big tv.
  • Keep the 70" model as good enough - tech changes quickly now, in 5 years, the extra $1700 saved from not getting the M80 can get most of another set.

My experience with the M70-d3 so far has been a bit mixed:
  • Great picture compared to our 10 year old LCD. The blacks ARE much blacker, it makes a huge different.
  • I wasted 8-12 hours after getting this thing with their software. The lan would almost never connect. Casting things kept breaking up every few minutes. Note that I tried 2 wireless routers, they were in the next room, and even the Vizio software showed they had full signal strength.
  • The wired ethernet wouldn't seem to work. The SW won't even give it to me as an option. It's maddening!
  • Eventually - maybe after the latest update - the wireless just started working. No more 2 hour sessions trying over and over.
  • The bluetooth pairing is a joke - works maybe 1 time in 10. I'm holding the tablet right next to it!
  • The idea of a tablet as a remote has promise - especially with TV listings. I tried their TV channels - full of long adds, and even the adds cut out. So after a bit I stopped using it. I'd rather save $200.
  • The built in cast option is good - someone claimed it would support 4k. Not sure about this, but the picture does look good.
  • I have a new yamaha Advantage 3060 hooked up to it, the new 4k bluray player, and ~6 4k bluray HDR disks. I'm not a video buff, just a casual user, but I'm not blind to big issues.
  • This setup passes along 4K and drives a 9.2.4 setup. The atmos sound is a huge step up. For example, in Star Trek, the intercom sounds come from a corner in the ceiling as peeps look in that area. During action scenes, the soundstage blends from top to bottom. My first thought is that it was like the movies - not a planar sound stage.
  • Unfortunately, no end of trouble for me with CRC to do remote control over HDMI. At one point, the TV would stop playing movies every 5 minutes and re-discover the other CRC devices. I did have it working for about 5 minutes, but can't seem to get it working again. Bummer.
  • As previously noted, the latest update does enable HDR-10. I don't see a clear difference in dark scenes with the 4k blu-ray, but as there isn't an easy way to toggle, it's hard to tell. When playing 4k disks, the info screen on the Vizio now says HDR=yes. Note this only shows up when playing that content, otherwise it is no. And I had to enable sub-sampling. Bummer, I'd rather have 4:4:4 all the time and only back off when needed. I also had to update the receiver to enable 4:4:4 as it does 4:2:0 by default (or perhaps just when it upscales)

Overall, a bit of a mixed experience. The Vizio SW seems buggy, and their user interface is maddening. I can see the firmware level, but I want it to check if it's the latest. Nope, it just might choose to tell me. Now that wireless is working, I may be able to keep the set, but hey it's supposed to support wired ethernet. It's connected, but doesn't trigger anything and their SW won't let me pick it. For crappy Wifi, this isn't good. But the picture is a huge improvement over my really old set, and lugging it back to Costco is not for the faint of heart. If you get this from Costco, I'd definitely recommend the extended warrantee!
post #985 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Audio for casting

I answered my own dumb question from earlier. Now I have another question. My current set up has several devices going through a receiver which has seven HDMI inputs and one HDMI output to the TV. That way all my content has surround sound. If I am casting from the tablet or a phone to the TV, how is it going to do surroundsound ? When casting does the audio only come through the TV speakers ? How can I make this surroundsound, for example if I casted a purchased vudu movie on the tablet remote or iPhone?
post #986 of 10276 Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Yes! I can confirm this.
post #987 of 10276 Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazz View Post
If I am casting from the tablet or a phone to the TV, how is it going to do surroundsound ? When casting does the audio only come through the TV speakers ? How can I make this surroundsound, for example if I casted a purchased vudu movie on the tablet remote or iPhone?

I asked the same thing earlier regarding my setup with a sound bar. You have to run Toslink to your receiver. I'll be going that for the items I don't mind having bossy audio from.

JD

post #988 of 10276 Old 08-16-2016, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
I was just at a Costco, and the M70-D3 that I bought two weeks ago at $1950 has been reduced by another $200, and is now $1750. (Costco customers have thirty days from the original purchase to get a price-match refund.) No sign there of the M80-D3, though.

Despite a few quirks that are not important for me--only one HDR-enabled input and the ARC channel on that same input, I really like this set.

That's infuriating as a Canadian

I paid 3199 at Costco here. 3700 with tax.

1750US exchanged to Canadian is $2250. So we're basically paying an extra $1000 on top of the exchange rate.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #989 of 10276 Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
About to pick up this set I have TWO questions.

1 I have my surround sound connected to my Xbox and one HDMI to the TV does that mean I can't play 4K videos from Vudu App on the TV and expect sound from my surround sound? Would I be better running the optical cable to the TV itself?

2 How is this TV compared to the LG UH7700 series. Really torn between the two. 65in Vizio or 60 in LG. I'm replaced a UN60es6100 so everything is an upgrade.
post #990 of 10276 Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy4242 View Post
All 4 hdmi ports have the same response time for gaming so any of them will work fine, anyone who bought the 50 or 55inch got shafted on the low latency hdmi port for gaming... That being said, I have mine plugged into hdmi 1 until I get something that can take advantage of the hdmi 2.0 and HDR on that port.
Thank you, sir!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another question...

Way back in the olden days, we had to run burn-in tests on panels which entailed displaying color test slides for 100 hours or so before really "dialing in" a set's calibration settings. Is that needed anymore and if so, how would I go about doing that with this set?

Last edited by RJ_Reda; 08-16-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page